Doing What They Can (D&D 3.5 campaign)

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
NamagomiMk0

ENEMY-HEALER! KICK! KICK!

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:56 pm

Adil, of course, noted that the hobgoblin was still in a position to, if anything, potentially run away. Even though checking the others' packs was important, making sure this bastard didn't get away was moreso...as a result, he stayed on watch for the hobgoblin leader; if he tried to silence the goblin or run away, there was a surprise ready...

(Readying action to drop packs and items, and intercept and attack hobgoblin if he either attempts to attack or silence the goblin, or attempts to escape. Priority of attack types from highest to lowest: Sword (charge if possible), bow, breath weapon)

GC130A

Der vas es dis?

Unread postby GC130A » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:00 am

"Oh," Mulligan remarked absently, "silly me, I didn't bind his legs and gag him," pulling a strip of cloth and a length of rope from his pack. "Would one of you gentlemen like to do the honors?"

(No such luck, sadly!)

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=gc130a>GC130A</A] at: 6/5/06 10:01

NamagomiMk0

Re: Der vas es dis?

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:45 pm

Adil's palm was ready for a rocket-propelled flight into his forehead--people call HIM dumb, but this?! He then cleared his throat, before addressing the gnome in Draconic--though a different dialect of it, "Excuse me, but isn't a bit daft to announce what act you could or will do to someone, right in front of that same someone, who can hear and understand every word of it to start, and can thus DO something about it?"

Where do they BREED these people, anyway? That was the thought that went through Adil's head as he looked into the archer's pack.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=namagomimk0>NamagomiMk0</A] at: 6/5/06 18:52

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:46 pm

The goblin, still in Cerlor's grasp but not resisting, speaks. "I'm not talking until you do something about Neoral." He points to the hobgoblin leader, obviously afraid of him.

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:23 pm

This is absolutely STUPID. Those were the first thoughts once the goblin pointed out the reason his objections to talking. The hobgoblin that he knocked out, and that one of his allies returned to consciousness...now has to be knocked out again. Needless to say, he was just about tired of this interrogation stuff--especially since what he's been doing was apparently WORKING, or at least having more of a beneficial effect than the others' actions.

Giving the "screw this" glare to all in general, he dropped what he was doing, and immediately started to walk over to "Neoral", ready to beat him unconscious with the flat of the blade so he can get this over with and the actual job underway. This bastard's been more trouble than he could ever be worth--which, given his adamant refusal to talk, wasn't much worth.

(any attacks made are to be nonlethal, for the count)

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=namagomimk0>NamagomiMk0</A] at: 6/5/06 21:59

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:19 pm

"I got him," Dashe says, then drives his plam into the side of the hobgoblin's head, potentially knocking him out.

(Attack (Non-lethal):

Attack roll- 20+13= 33
Damage roll- 8 x 2= 16)

Dashe then takes the rope that Mulligan was offering to anyone willing to tie up the hobgoblin, and did just that.

(Use Rope check: 13+7=20)

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:59 pm

The hobgoblin is not knocked out, and is also not cooperating nearly well enough to be tied up properly. He's kicking and thrashing and all-around not cooperating.

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:36 pm

Needless to say, Adil was rather annoyed with the hobgoblin--the bastard is, if anything, holding up all form of progress with the actual job, and keeping the goblin from actually talking. As such, he raised up his black sword in both hands, and took a downward swing, not once, but twice, making sure to hit him with the flat side, rather than the sharp, pointy part.

[Nonlethal attack]
Attack 01: 4+15=19
Damage: 2+21=23

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:37 pm

Now he's unconcious.

"Bind him up," the goblin says. "Then I'll talk."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:25 pm

Dashe again takes the rope in his hands and attempts to bind the now unconscious but still troublesome hobgoblin.

(Use Rope Check: 17+7=24)

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=darkknight61189>darkknight61189</A]&nbsp; Image at: 6/11/06 14:26

NamagomiMk0

Doing what they can...to loot the dead hobgoblins

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:44 pm

Adil walks back to where he was before, sheathing his sword, and returning his attention to the archer's pack--like with the leader's pack just a bit earlier, he looked into it for anything that could be of monetary or practical value. The dead don't need money. Or potions. Or anything else of the such.

Spleen

Re: Doing what they can...to loot the dead hobgoblins

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:48 pm

Apparently the dead don't need rope or thieves' tools, either. In addition to twenty gold peices, Adil finds in the pack two sturdy lengths of rope of probably about twenty-five feet each, made of silk, and a set of polished, well-cared-for thieves' tools.

NamagomiMk0

Hey! I can't use this! ...that well, anyway.

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:50 pm

Adil again pockets the money, not giving any degree of resistance to the hidden allure of shiny gold pieces, quantity be damned. He then looked toward the silken rope and the very nice tools--a pity that he couldn't use any of this, though a greater pity, to him, would be letting them go to waste. In one action, he removed all three, holding the lengths and the tools in one hand, holding them up high, silently offering them to the rest of the party--if anyone has use for them, someone likely does, anyway. In his other hand, he scooped up the archer's and leader's packs, before heading to the third dead hobgoblin's pack, still holding the rope and tools up high...

Spleen

Re: Hey! I can't use this! ...that well, anyway.

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:29 am

The axe-wielder's pack has two potion bottles and 61 GP.

NamagomiMk0

Money!

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:31 pm

As before, the dead don't need money...and those bottles could always come in handy. It'd be a pity to leave such things to sit there unusued--and as such, Adil takes the gold, and briefly looks over the bottles before putting them in his pack, then turning to the goblin to speak in accented Gorlish, "Now that 'Neoral' is dealt with...I believe you were going to talk right about this time?"

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Re: Money!

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:48 pm

Varlak can't help but notice that Adil is going around looting the dead. Still, as long as it keeps him out of mischief, he won't complain. In the meantime, he awaits the tying.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:34 pm

(Yes, I do intend to DM, but not right now. Laziness and studying for finals. Also, p068.ezboard.com/frpgww60...952.topic)

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:21 pm

Meanwhile, Hargen had been checking around the area. After that, he looked in the direction the hobgoblins came from.

(How hard would it be for me to track the direction they came from?)

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:08 pm

(It's a hidden DC, Zem. Details can be found in the description of the Track feat. The first step is to search a square for tracks. Both Search rolls and Survival rolls are secret rolls, so you don't even have to worry about rolling them.)

"Yeah! I'll talk!" the little goblin squeaks. "There's guard towers...eight big ones that always have archers in them, and four smaller ones that only have archers in them sometimes. There's a fence all around with big spikes and barbed wire to make it hard to cross. Um...there's three gates, all guarded, and there's an ogre guarding the front gate. There's a temple, but only Korhab and his clerics are allowed inside. There's barracks, an armory, a little mess hall, and a prison. And there are tents, too, out by the front gate, where some of our families live. They're not allowed to leave. There's also these patrols that they run outside the walls."

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:56 pm

"And what of the land surrounding the camp? What's the terrain around the place generally like? How are the gates and towers positioned, and I want to hear more about this fence, while we're at it..." Adil replied, some ideas forming in his head...if there was a blind spot to speak of...

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=namagomimk0>NamagomiMk0</A] at: 6/16/06 0:03

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:03 am

Varlak frowns at this news. It seems like a very entrenched encampment indeed. He finds it rather surprising that nobody has heard of it. Perhaps Adil's questions will shed some light on the matter. If the terrain is sufficiently rough, it may be that they don't get too many visitors.

He's also interested in learning more about Korhab. But that can wait upon details of the layout. Speaking of which... Varlak casts about and selects a small stick, which he passes to the goblin, "Sketch a layout of the camp for us," he says.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:28 pm

Dashe walks over to the goblin. "Do you think you can draw us a map of the area? To the best of your ability, of course, but a visualization can help us to make a plan."

NamagomiMk0

This party needs group therapy. With a +2 Sigmund Freud.

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:12 pm

Adil's palm connected with his forehead as if the two were suddenly magnetically attracted just then and there. Can this idiot act with any intelligence? First being startled at the magic items of his own group, and now walking up and stating what's already been as if it hasn't. It looks like there's a bumbling fool amongst the party

"...WHY are you saying what someone else said and implied no less than a second ago?", Adil started, annoyance being clearly evident in his voice, "Are you really that dense, or are you just hard of hearing?"

...It's official. The village idiot must have replaced the person who was actually supposed to be here.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=namagomimk0>NamagomiMk0</A] at: 6/16/06 15:22

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:46 pm

The goblin struggles against the arm-pinning grip of Cerlorendbelrayiaioaie. "I can't draw a map with my arms held like this. But about the terrain, it's pretty bad. It's up in the hills a ways, in a big dip in the ground. The camp's also really new; we just finished the fence a month ago."

NamagomiMk0

Yay Draconic!

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:33 pm

Adil turned toward the gnomish wizard, stating with a rather impatient voice, "Mulligan, nau jhuo-zhalutei nashu alel-tlieru shela agalu shela yajheashae."

...At least someone here understood Draconic. It was more comforting to speak in this than this language here.

(Translations to be IMed to Spleen and GC)

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=namagomimk0>NamagomiMk0</A] at: 6/16/06 17:38

Spleen

Re: Yay Draconic!

Unread postby Spleen » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:56 pm

(From now on, stuff like that, translations etc., would be better suited going to my ezInbox, in case I'm DMing on the go or something.)

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:32 pm

Dashe whipped around to glare at the man who had addressed him.

"Well, I thought that perhaps someone had forgotten that his arms were being pinned down by a brass dragon, but rather than allowing that problem to be quickly and quietly corrected, you had to make a big deal of it. I'm neither hard of hearing or dense. Just practical. Perhaps some members of this party lack such practicality."

He then spat in his native language, "Ta ma de wai ren. Shen muo do bu je dao. Hai te ma de shuo wo err duo long. Ta ma de bi!." He then turned back to the brass dragon, still believing it to be a creature that could understand him.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=darkknight61189>darkknight61189</A]&nbsp; Image at: 6/16/06 22:38

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:52 pm

"Practical? HAH!" Adil laughs at this preposterous pretense, before continuing. "Last I checked, practical implied having some sort of actual USE. Most of what you have done points toward the contrary--repeating something already said that was already completely understandable and becoming startled at our own equipment are not signs of practicality. YOU are one of the such members that you, yourself stated lacks practicality."

Adil was, for lack of better terms, growing quite annoyed here. Though he was far from ready to open an attack, he was prepared to defend himself lest the apparently hair-tempered monk "ally" became irate enough to attack.

Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!

Unread postby Nakibe » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:52 pm

Ciele just had to wonder at the people that she found herself working with these days. Irritating. Aggravating. And cold-blooded killers to boot. That last just serves to insult her more.

"WELL THEN. It would at least do us some good right about now to perhaps INVESTIGATE the place we were told about instead of standing here and bickering like backwater farmboys. I swear."

And with that proclamation left to marinate in the open air, Ciele finds herself a vaguely comfortable tree to sit against. and waves an arm indignantly. "Just tell me when you're done wasting time, alright?"

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:03 am

"Well, as soon as we can get the fake dragon to let go of the goblin so we can get a map and plan our entry route, Landshark-bait and I will stop bickering like "farmboys," as you call them." Adil replied to Ciele, honestly hoping that this would get done as soon as possible, if only so he, just MAYBE, wouldn't have to suffer that imbecile's presence for much longer...

GC130A

Unread postby GC130A » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:23 am

Mulligan looks between Dashe and Adil, wanting nothing more than to stay wholly uninvolved in their little feud.

"Cerlor," he tells the effigy with a wave of his hand, "release the goblin. Grab him again if he runs away."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:29 am

The goblin picks up the stick and begins sketching, eager to please (and thus live). The camp begins to take shape on the ground.

(I don't have a graphic for this yet. I will soon.)

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:20 pm

Dashe was now fuming. He had to catch himself before he launched himself at the man.

He took a deep breath, a silent and motionless one, and stated in a calm voice that masked his fury. "And what have you done so far, besides cause problems with others?" Dashe said this without looking at Adil. Since nobody was watching him, he closed his eyes and began a meditation technique to hopefully calm himself down enough to deal with the man.

Impractical indeed... Perhaps the true reason why we've got nothing to show for our efforts but a bunch of uncooperative goblins is this man standing behind me... but he shall see how useless I am. One day he will regret having said that...

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:46 pm

Adil stood proudly, replying to the challenge, "Unlike you, I have initialized negotiations, aided in ensuring that the goblin divulge details, verified that he is NOT working willingly with the hobgoblins, silenced their leader not once, but twice, and aided in ensuring that this place's resources will not be wasted on such things as imprisonment, which is a ludicrously WASTEFUL thing to do with ones perceived as criminals. I thus can firmly state that, despite the others' objections to my methods, I have contributed something aside from, how do I say it, ineptitude, to this endeavor," placing a fair emphasis on the word ineptitude in that last statement.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:15 pm

"Heh," Dashe chuckles to himself, but does not give any explanation of the laugh. He walks away from Adil, figuring that that would enrage the man more than anything he could say to him. Actually...

"Ooh, by the way, you forgot to mention, in your little list of 'contributions', adding to the general chaos of the situation by bickering with not one, but two of your teammates." And with this, Dashe continued walking, intending to tell the man with his actions that the argument was over. On to more important things.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=darkknight61189>darkknight61189</A]&nbsp; Image at: 6/17/06 14:16

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:47 pm

"Hah. It's about time you shut up. First intelligent thing I've seen you do this whole time." You should do it more often.

Adil also walked over to where the goblin was drawing the map, waiting to see the finalized image come forth--there should be some sort of way to bypass the gate guards. Though he felt he could deal with these ogres...he'd rather save time and energy by NOT attacking one of the gates.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:01 pm

The goblin straightens up and drops his stick, then tilts his head left and right, looking at his drawing from different angles. "Yes, that's right," he says.

He then explains the different parts of the map. The following graphic is what the map would look like if the goblin could put labels on it.

(I would have only put the second one, but the first one looks cool and I didn't want to mar it with the labels right away.)

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:36 pm

Adil looked at it for a second, noting the towers and gates...

"If at all possible, we DON'T want to try to break through the gates. That would be, if anything, quite stupid, if not nearly suicidal. Likewise with going near the large towers. If the fence is thin enough...it looks like there's possibly a vulnerability right THERE.", pointing at the area right next to the upper-left small tower with his sword. "You said these small towers don't have archers in them all the time, right? It looks far enough from the large towers to be, if anything, a decent bit annoying to try and shoot at us from. As long as the fence isn't extremely thick, I believe I can hack through it easily. Though...I'd like more details--when aren't there archers in those small towers, and how many sentry patrols are there, and where?"

He then turns to Mulligan and Ciele, shortly asking, "Do either of you have anything that could give us some cover for the possible amount of time to get in?"

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=namagomimk0>NamagomiMk0</A] at: 6/17/06 17:38

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:25 pm

"The patrols move around," the goblin says. "There could be between, like, two and five out at one time, and it's hard to tell when they would be out. And the smaller towers don't usually have archers in them unless we know we're going to be attacked."

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:54 pm

Adil ponders this for a few seconds, before replying "Hmm...we'll have to figure out how to deal with these patrols...hopefully they won't be out in so much force...though it's safe to assume the worst in this case. Though...if we can only find a way to get over there," noting the same area with his black sword again, "without being noticed...you said the camp was in a large dip in the ground...would there be any way to get near that side without anyone in the larger towers noticing our approach?"

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs