Real Life:Cries of the Forgotten Ones

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Real Life:Cries of the Forgotten Ones

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:00 pm

"And in other news, Haikuro Niyami is assumed dead." the little TV blared, showing a smalltown reporter standing in front of what was formerly a house, now just a set of black debris. "We've not found a body, but many are assuming it was burnt with the rest of the home, and he has not been found anywhere in the town. His house was struck by lightning at two oh-four last night, and the fire department was not called for several hours. He'll be missed a great deal, as the man was not just a game designer that moved to the town-he was a philantropist who believed in improving small-town life in the states whenever he could, using his limited wealth to fund school projects, new homes, and in one notable case, even inviting the needy to his home to live until they could get back on his feet."

The TV droned on, left alive in the quiet lobby where the manager of the hotel was watching raptly as it went on with funeral details and the further accomplishments of the game designer. After a while he began speaking in a southern tone. "I remember him. Japanese fella, kinda short. Nice guy. Polite, but he didn' speak English real good. He had a heckuva time first time we met...poor guy. I wonder what happened to his dog? Beautiful dog. A healthy Dalmation, named Pongo after the one in the hundred-and-one Dalmations."

The others who were in the lobby would hear every word, and it was likely that at least some of RPGWWcon would be there.

E Mouse

Re: Real Life:Cries of the Forgotten Ones

Unread postby E Mouse » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:56 pm

Jeremy, AKA E-mouse, AKA Der Mus, AKA Fatmus, watched the news report with morbid interest. He drummed his fingers on the armrest of the lounge chair he was sitting in, frowning as the news report wrapped up.

"Well, damn." he mumbled, mostly to himself, "Never expected there to be a Japanese game designer around here. Or much of anything. I never think of these things."

He sighed, then glanced around nervously, blue eyes darting between each of the other RPGWWcon members nearby. Okay, I'm among some of the most awesome geeks I know. For the love of spam, don't embarass yourself. Hopefully my jokes won't go awry. Among all the usual crap. Hoo boy.

Jeremy shuddered slightly, and ran a set of pale fingers through his black hair. Yay for paranoia.

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:15 pm

The hotel manager simply shook his head at Jeremy's comment. "Yah. 'Parently he was real big. Companies kept offerin' him jobs. He retired, moved here, took up gardening, and was a real friendly fella. I don't think there's a person in town, save some of the kids, that won't be goin' to that funeral. You kids picked a poor time to have a convention here. Gonna be a real black cloud over the rest of the town." He shook his head, sighing.

E Mouse

Unread postby E Mouse » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:33 pm

Jeremy faced the manager, and nodded slowly. "I... guess that's true. Then again, we wouldn't have known anyway."

He paused for a moment, then realized how insensitive that could have sounded. He added quickly, "And, uh, maybe we could stop by and pay tribute or something. It'd be kinda neat finding out what the life of a game designer's like, right?"

RebelKitsune

Unread postby RebelKitsune » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:12 am

Jean rather preferred to remain silent, as he was still not that comfortable since it was his first time meeting the guys who made sleeping at 4 am fun.

"Took the words right out of my mouth... Or rather, I picked the worst Con to come to. Hopefully this doesn't make this any less enjoyable," he thought to himself with a slight grimace, "Couldn't he have died some other time? Or hell, better yet - not at all. That guy was a legend."

As always, his thoughts consisted of rather harsh things he would never let himself say, just because they'd be totally inappropriate and obviously make him look like an ass. Instead, he quietly agreed to Jeremy's suggestion. "That sounds great. We could show some respect for the guy. He was nearly nothing short of a legend, with all the great things he did."

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=rebelkitsune>RebelKitsune</A]&nbsp; Image at: 6/17/06 4:38

E Mouse

Unread postby E Mouse » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:09 am

Jeremy looked over at Jean, and opened his mouth to speak, but only got as far as "Ac-" before stopping himself and falling silent, a sheepish look on his face.

Oh goddamnit, I did it already. Just 'cause I haven't heard of someone doesn't mean I have to embarass myself the moment someone brings it up!

Jeremy's mouth flapped pointlessly for a moment (think 'silent stammering') and his face turned rather pink, before he regained something resembling composure and tried to clean up the mess.

"Er... I mean, I... uh, actually hadn't heard of him before we got here."

Well, that was pathetic. So much for not embarassing myself. he thought, Meh... guess I'll just have to try and keep my mouth shut. I can never do this social stuff right... or maybe I'm just overreacting. Probably. But still... damnit. Now I'm just confused.

RebelKitsune

Unread postby RebelKitsune » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:56 pm

Jean chuckled a little, scratching the back of his head. He sensed Jeremy's shame in not knowing who they were talking about, so he quickly set about reassuring him.

"Hey, hey.. don't sweat it. I should have been more specific, really. His fanbase is pretty 'exclusive' outside of Japan. He used to make games based strongly on Japanese culture, so he never wanted them to be translated for fear of the context getting totally messed up and possibly misinterpreted.

"Basically, when it came to western countries, only those really obsessed with Japan..." He coughed a little, looking slightly guilty for that last little detail, but quickly continued again, "... only those obsessed with Japan really caught wind of the series and bothered to import them and try them out.

He coughed again. He was rambling as usual, so to avoid putting everyone into a comatose slumber he hastily summed up his little speech. "Long story short, I really should've said, 'he was a legend in Japan.' Sorry about that, Jeremy."

E Mouse

Unread postby E Mouse » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:43 pm

Jeremy gave Jean a rather odd grin as the resulting wave of relief washed over him. After a few seconds he caught himself, though, and sobered.

"That'd explain it, then. And hey, nothing wrong with being a Japanophile. I bet half the con is, to some degree."

... and thanks for not shooting down the hasty suggestion I made to try and avoid the manager getting pissed at me... he 'added' in his own head, but said nothing aloud.

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Stuff:*Happens*

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:40 pm

(For my sanity's sake, the log of what happened in the chat is here. www.geocities.com/dwsage0...dness.html )

Return to Other RPs