Rain of Ashes: After the Fall

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
User avatar
Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006
 
Posts: 2408
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:32 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: re:

Unread postby Kai » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:29 pm

Virginia, having given up on Edward finding food for them, grabbed a few pieces of the questionable dried meat and lay down on the grass. For the first time that day she pulled off her hat and a long braid of brown hair fell down on the hat that was now functioning as a pillow.

She also took off her sunglasses and laid them in the grass as well. Virginia stared at the sky, a piece of meat hanging out of her mouth like a cigarette. Every blink of her eyes caused a twinkle of light from her face, making it seem as though blue fireflies were settled in the grass near the party.

"You boys go ahead and use a tent. I'm sleeping out here. If it rains, I'll be soaking wet when we leave tomorrow. I don't mind, but I might bitch anyway, just for fun. Anyone else going to hang out in the wild and dangerous dry grass with me?"


The Great Nevareh
 

Re: re:

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:47 pm

The sky is *GASP!* full of puffy white clouds. No hint of rain. You can try to Cast if you want to make sure, though.


User avatar
KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?
 
Posts: 2656
Joined: Tue May 07, 2002 7:21 pm
Location: Calgary

Re: re:

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:19 pm

Eh. Why bother.

Jerry simply announced, "I'll sleep out here, folks. Save the canvas for yourselves," and attempted to grow a nice pillow shaped patch of grass to sleep on...

(12, no, 13% Focus. With a Cast to keep things kosher.)

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kingofdoma>KingOfDoma</A] at: 8/1/05 23:37

The Great Nevareh
 

Re: re:

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:39 pm

The bed/pillow is bright and fluffy! Its like sleeping on a pile of feathers... with the itchiness. Grass is kind of abrasive.

(You take 5% Focus damage which will go away the moment you get a night's rest.)


ziratha
 

Re: re:

Unread postby ziratha » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:01 pm

Edward says, while finishing the tent, "Well, I'll stay outside for a while, but I'm sleeping in the tent! I guess we only need one then..." He then goes over to the wagon to find some meat.

Thats when a thought occurs to him, "Say you guys, are we gonna settup a watch?" He waits for an answer as he begins chewing on some sort of dried meat and sits down on the grass a little ways between his teamates.


User avatar
Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006
 
Posts: 2408
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:32 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: re:

Unread postby Kai » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:52 pm

She looked over from her position on the ground, propping herself up on her elbows. "Yeah, I guess we had better. I'll take first watch. It's nice out. I'll wake up someone else after a couple of hours. Who wants to be next?"


ziratha
 

Re: re:

Unread postby ziratha » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:23 am

"I'll go second. I'll lend you my watch to time your turn." Edward begins to root through his possessions to find the afore mentioned item.


Elitegamer7539
 

Re: re:

Unread postby Elitegamer7539 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:43 am

Sam chimes in next, stuffing a bit of the grass into a pocket. "I guess I'll go third."

He takes a very small piece of the dried meat and begins gnawing on it with a disgruntled look on his face, sitting near the pitched tent while he eats.


User avatar
KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?
 
Posts: 2656
Joined: Tue May 07, 2002 7:21 pm
Location: Calgary

Re: re:

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:29 am

Jerry mumbled, "And if you still need someone to keep watch after that, gimme a kick and I'll do it.

"Now, g'night. Have fun staying up at an ungodly hour..." And with that he rolled over, not intending to wake...


ziratha
 

Re: re:

Unread postby ziratha » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:59 am

Edward Finds the watch and begins to rewind it to prepare it for the night. Once that is done, he hands it to female hunter and prepares to head towards the tent. Inside the tent, He lies down and starts to relax.


The Great Nevareh
 

Re: re:

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:28 pm

The meat not only looks like shoe leather, it TASTES like shoe leather. Well, salty shoe leather. It's not very palatable, but it's the closest thing to protein you're going to get without hunting.


Elitegamer7539
 

Re: re:

Unread postby Elitegamer7539 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:18 pm

After injuring his teeth more than the strip of meat he picked up, Sam spits out the few bits of it he'd managed to dislodge from the jerky.

He looks over to the patch where he'd seen the grass grow so quickly and cradled his chin be his thumb and his first finger.

"Hmmm... I might as well try it. Not like I'm getting anywhere as is. I'm pretty good at mending bodies, maybe I can work with dead meat too..."

With that thought, he expands his will just far enough to encompass the entire strip of meat. He attempts to make the meat do two things: taste better, and become tender enough to not injure his teeth when he bites it.


User avatar
KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?
 
Posts: 2656
Joined: Tue May 07, 2002 7:21 pm
Location: Calgary

Re: re:

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:45 pm

With his eyes still closed, Jerry mumbled, "If you want more, just ask..."


User avatar
Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006
 
Posts: 2408
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:32 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: re:

Unread postby Kai » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:24 am

Virginia glanced down at the watch and tossed it into her hat so she wouldn't lose it. She reached into her pocket and pulled out her brass knuckles. Stretching back out on the grass, she polished the weapon on the bottom of her overshirt, waiting for something to happen... either an attack by vicious plants or at the very least, the end of her watch.


ziratha
 

Re: re:

Unread postby ziratha » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:29 am

Unlike his companions, Edward was having little trouble with the meat. His cat teeth were designed for this sort of thing after all.

After chewing for a few minutes, He closes his eyes and begins to sink into the lower levels of unconscousness.


The Great Nevareh
 

Re: re:

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:44 pm

After a short bit of nudging, the "meat" swells... and then melts into a brownish-red puddle, the material that makes it up already too far gone down the road of... uhh... whatever its road is... to follow a reverse-generation process to make it more edible. Maybe the cells of the meat are far too weak after continuous exposure to heat, light, and salt to sustain an increased level of water that would make the tissue slightly more edible?

The puddle will seep into the ground after a bit, leaving a salty smell behind.

(Next time you do something like that, give me a Focus amount to judge success and effect.)

Edward finds the meat if not tasty at least filling. His altered teeth make short work of the tough meat.

Virginia finds that polishing her brass knuckles produces... shiny brass knuckles!

Two hours later....

At the nearest part to the very end of her watch, Virginia notices something. Something a little... odd. First, the wind picks up. A Lot. Then, with her attuned eyes, she can see a figure walking down the road in the darkness. It's garbed in black, including a black mask and hood. It's hard to tell from here, but it all looks strangely... organic. It's coming down towards Jansen and away from Holdenburgh or one of the diverse villages that might also dot the area. At any rate, it doesn't appear that the figure is in any hurry to get anywhere, as it's walking, not jogging or running or sprinting or riding or anything. It has a black cape and coat that whip behind it in the new wind that only grows worse as it approaches. It's about ten minutes down the road if it doesn't pick up any speed.

Edited by: The Great Nevareh at: 8/5/05 15:59

User avatar
Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006
 
Posts: 2408
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:32 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: re:

Unread postby Kai » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:47 pm

Her eyes widened as she took notice of the figure. She looked down at her hands and arms. She'd taken off her overshirt, leaving her in her tank top and jeans. A lot of the dirt on her skin had rubbed off on the grass, so her exposed arms and face were more than a little luminescent. All this on top of the fact that her eyes could be seen from a surprising distance when it was dark.

"...merde. Freaking great," she said to herself. Obviously no hope of sneaking around. Two options: try to hide while someone else sneaks up on this one to keep an eye on him. Option two: wake someone else to hide while I do the distraction thing. Considering the fact that I'm glowing like a damn lantern, I'd better go for number two.

With that thought, Virginia smacked the side of Edward's tent, also giving Sam's tent a good thwap with her cane to wake them up. She threw a pebble at Jerry, who was still outside sleeping not far away.


ziratha
 

Re: re:

Unread postby ziratha » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:09 pm

Edward jumped to his feet almost instantly, before he was entirely awake. As a result, he opened his eyes and let out a decisive "Whosawhatsit?" and opened his mouth with a jaw cracking yawn.

After walking out the tent he locates the female watcher and walks up to her. He asks her, "What's up? Is it my turn to watch already?"




User avatar
Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006
 
Posts: 2408
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:32 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: re:

Unread postby Kai » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:30 pm

"Sh! Look at that," she said, pointing to the figure moving closer to them. "You keep an eye on whoever that is. I'm going to find out what the mysterious cloaked figure wants."

She went around behind the tents to try and mask some of her glow. She left her backpack behind, carrying only her cane in one hand and her brass knuckles on the other.

Leaning on her cane more than was actually necessary, she made her way slowly at an angle, both toward the stranger and off to the side of the camp.


Elitegamer7539
 

Re: re:

Unread postby Elitegamer7539 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:40 pm

Sam crawls halfway out of his tent silently, still on the ground as Virginia gives her instruction, looking to the figure as she points and sighing. He crawls the rest of the way out of the tent and remains on the side opposit the approaching stranger, trying to keep himself hidden.


The Great Nevareh
 

Re: re:

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:21 am

The stranger seems to be mostly oblivious to the planning, plotting, and moving about the camp. However, it must be trying to be some form of stealthy since it's making no noise at all. Its movements are also extremely deliberate despite also being smooth and of a normal pace, so it glides across the terrain rather than meanders or walks.


User avatar
Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006
 
Posts: 2408
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:32 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: re:

Unread postby Kai » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:38 am

Virginia headed straight for the figure, making it obvious that she was going to figure out what the hell was going on. She continued to limp a little unnecessarily, using her cane as a support.

Hopefully if they don't think I can walk, they won't be ready to fight me. They may not want to fight. Whoever it is may just want some treebark jerky. THAT they are MORE than welcome to.

So she continued her approach, still walking and still glowing faintly.


The Great Nevareh
 

Re: re:

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:42 pm

(WHAT HAPPENED:

Virginia met with Thing in Armor who called himself "The Blasphemer" and it told her to get her allies ready for combat. Then it went away and started blowing things up in this western sky, which had by this time cleared of all clouds. Then it came back with a hole in its face and it was pursued by a group of bat-things that spit fire-acid-goo. Combat happened. The Blasphemer then said some cryptic things about god (NOTE LACK OF CAPITALIZATION!) and disappeared off towards Jansen. Edward decided to follow on foot, him being the fastest. When morning comes, there will be six gutted, charred corpses strewn around the camp, as well as some small craters that look as though they caught fire and then died out.

Health Updates:
Sam: 100%/100% Focus, Healthy
Virginia: 100%/100% Focus (upon waking up), Singed
Jerry: 100%/100% Focus (upon waking up), Singed
Edward: 74%/90% Focus (10 points of Focus damage from the fight and from not having slept since the fight), Scraped

Begin at whatever point you like after these events.)


ziratha
 

Edward pursues

Unread postby ziratha » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:20 am

Its been about an hour, and edward has loosened up enough to go all out. He stops running for a moment and carefully and purposefully falls forward. He begins to accelerate to a running speed on all fours, first a slow trot followed by the equivalent of a jog, Finally reaching full speed after about 7 minutes. Around this time, he begins to think to himself.

I just hope that 'The Blasphemer' isn't a teleporter, or else I could reach a deserted town... Hey, a Big tree! Oh great, I should have left the M. Detector with the group, because then they might have found something usefull. I need sleep, Maybe I can do that at the town? I wonder if the group is gonna stay where they are? Because I think the quest was time dependent... I Think I better cast, or I could run into something unfriendly!

At this point, Ed sends out a cast as big as possible that is not so big that it might start causing any kind of disorientation.


The Great Nevareh
 

Re: Edward pursues

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:23 pm

THE CAST RINGS OUT!

Due to his inexperience, his cast has about a ten foot radius before it starts pushing the boundaries of his ability to take stuff in.


User avatar
KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?
 
Posts: 2656
Joined: Tue May 07, 2002 7:21 pm
Location: Calgary

Re: Edward pursues

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:36 am

Jerry grumbled, and shifted in his cocoon. He hoped beyond hope that the sun wasn't up.

He wasn't counting it.

But, he cracked an eye open anyways, and if indeed it was met by a blazing ball of fire in the sky, he'd ... get up... he guessed.


The Great Nevareh
 

Re: Edward pursues

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:52 am

The infernal daystar burns!

Jerry is the first in the camp to awaken. He still itches a bit around his burns, but nothing a bit of time won't cure.


User avatar
Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006
 
Posts: 2408
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:32 pm
Location: Indianapolis

[blank subject of JUSTICE!]

Unread postby Kai » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:37 pm

Virginia rolled over and pulled her hat over her face. The dry grass irritated her now-overly-sensitive skin. With a slightly irritated growl she sat up and pulled on her overshirt, once again with a less-than-fantastic scraping over her skin.

She stood and looked over to the charred ground around her, as well as the bodies they'd left behind. She knew that she probably ought to have gone somewhere else to sleep, but she'd stayed nearby out of a general pissy contrariness that demanded she not allow flying napalm monsters to keep her from doing what she wanted to do. It seemed to Virginia that she was about to pay for that decision. Whether it was the smoke in the air or the general polluted stink around her... her respiratory system was making its displeasure quite clear to her. Her breathing was a little irregular and seemed to catch on itself every minute or so.

She sat up on one knee, leaning on her cane a little as she thought about the night's events.

Okay. They sent this "Blasphemer" to Jansen. Because it's perfectly natural to trust the shadowy cryptic man being hunted by God. Of course. It's exactly what I would have done had I been a complete fucking moron. Maybe it's just me being a bitch. Wouldn't be the first time. But I do think that I was right not to buy into that rediculous bullshit he was telling us. I find it hard to believe I'm the only one who got tired of the vague and sinister allusions to Blasphemer's spiritual trials.

She shook her head and stood up the rest of the way, gritting her teeth against what was shaping up to be one fantastic round of coughing.

"Need some fucking water," she muttered. Virginia headed over to the cart to see what she could find.


User avatar
KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?
 
Posts: 2656
Joined: Tue May 07, 2002 7:21 pm
Location: Calgary

Re: [blank subject of JUSTICE!]

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:40 pm

Well that's just great...

Jerry felt around for his satchel, and when he found it, pulled some grass out of it, rolled it into a ball, and ate it. He then pulled himself up, dusted himself off, and said, "G'mornin'" to Virginia.

"How'd you sleep?"


ziratha
 

Re: Running running runnning, keep that a running! (rawhide)

Unread postby ziratha » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:06 am

It's Daybreak and Edward is Still running. He lets out a series of rather powerful yawns but doesn't break stride.

Ed notices a small rock up ahead and realises that despite its closeness (Maybe 30') he can't sense it, and begins to wonder about why.

A few moments later it pops into his range and he figures it out; My cast is kinda dinky... At least, it is when it's not so big it causes uncomfortable oversensation... Then it hits him; Maybe the reason I didn't sense food last night wasn't because their wasn't any...? He thinks for about half an hour when he has an idea.

My early cast that made me woozy didn't cause problems right away, so maybe... I can... put up a wide cast, look for anything obviously dangerous, then drop the cast. Then repeat after a few minutes? He proceeds to try out his idea by expanding his cast to about half of his maximum distance, intending to slow down as little as possible.


User avatar
Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006
 
Posts: 2408
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:32 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: [blank subject of JUSTICE!]

Unread postby Kai » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:34 pm

Virginia shrugged.

"I slept all right. I--" She stopped abruptly to take a couple of careful breaths. She gripped the handle of her cane tightly as she regained control of herself again. "Feel kind of shitty this morning, but I think I'll be fine..." She took a few more deep breaths. "...if... I can just get some water and make my tea."


Elitegamer7539
 

Re: [blank subject of JUSTICE!]

Unread postby Elitegamer7539 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:26 pm

((OOC: Sorry for my absence, college has things kinda hectic on my end.))

Sam crawls out of his tent, feeling a bit groggy but otherwise well rested. Opening his eyes and letting them adjust to the daytime brightness, he notices a few corpses strew about thier campground.

"Aw hell, what'd I miss this time?" he wonders aloud. He looks up to see two other members of his party conversing about the cart, and approaches them.

"So, ah... good morning?"


The Great Nevareh
 

Re: [blank subject of JUSTICE!]

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:37 pm

Edward's exercise in attempting to have a widened cast causes even more disorientation than just keeping it out. It feels a lot like lifting weights, actually. It might be a good idea to try it when he's not in a hurry so he could stop if he needed to. For now, though, it would be best not to.

(Edward learned how to do a Cast Push-Up!)

----------------------------------------------------------

Virginia finds one of the water canteens in the cart, as well as some cookware that would aid and abet in her tea-making enterprise.

There really isn't much of anything left of the corpses aside from some darkened husks that stink of sulphur.

The tea itself isn't hard to brew, though doing so would involve reviving the fire.


User avatar
Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006
 
Posts: 2408
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:32 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: [blank subject of JUSTICE!]

Unread postby Kai » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:37 pm

Virginia sets herself about the task of making her morning tea. This involved moving a short distance away from camp and pulling a trowel from her backpack. She scraped the topsoil away from the surface to get rid of potentially flammable grass. She didn't need a damn brushfire. She just wanted to heat water. She pulled some of the grass back to use as tinder, but in the main, she kept the fire away from anything...well, flammable.

She got the fire going and just managed to set the water over it when she doubled over on the ground, deep coughs ripping through her lungs. These were especially bad, and it sounded like something was rattling inside her every time she tried to inhale. Not good. She dug her fingers into the grass and held on for the next couple of minutes until the coughs started to subside.

"...shit..." She sat where she was on the ground next to her fire, her head still bowed as she stared at the ground. Her breathing was shallow and rapid, but she seemed to have gotten control of herself for the moment.


ziratha
 

Re: and then the bartender said, "No charge for you!&qu

Unread postby ziratha » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:15 pm

Edward is Running, Running, Running. And Thats all he could think about for some time after that rather disasterous attempt to cheat the laws of nature and magic.

A little Time passes.

Ed Decides its safe to resend his cast, this time to the safe distance which he estimates to be 2-4 meters. At this point he picks an arbitrary rock and on reaching it he quickly drops all his weight to his back legs and then he springs!

He isn't jumping at anything in specific, and there is no real point, but he has to do something to pass the time. Plus there is always the "Wheeeeeee" factor, though he refrains from actually going "Wheeeeeee"...Oh, what the heck With that he proceeds to let out the afore mentioned sound.

At this point Edward intends to entertain himself with said method until he gets board, then he will find something else...


User avatar
KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?
 
Posts: 2656
Joined: Tue May 07, 2002 7:21 pm
Location: Calgary

Re: and then the bartender said, "No charge for you!&am

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:32 pm

"Whoa!" Jerry said, rushing to Virginia's side with surprising energy. "You alright there, 'Ginny? That didn't look like fun..."


User avatar
Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006
 
Posts: 2408
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:32 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: and then the bartender said, "No charge for you!&am

Unread postby Kai » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:51 am

She swallowed and took a deep breath experimentally. When she found herself capable of doing that, she spoke. "Yeah... it's just the--" she waved her hand at the charred crap all around them. " All that shit, s'in the air. I'm fine."

Her water started to boil and she took it off the fire. She dropped her tea into the water to give it a chance to steep for a few minutes.

"...sorry. Should've thought before I just... went back to sleep over here... was stupid..." She shook her head.


The Great Nevareh
 

Re: and then the bartender said, "No charge for you!&am

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:17 pm

Edward has much entertainment from leaping and bounding around, getting his pounce on. The way his muscles are set up, now, it really isn't that much of a drian to jump- in fact, it's about as easy to jump as it is to walk. Who'da thunk it?

-----------------------------------------

TEA BOIL!


User avatar
KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?
 
Posts: 2656
Joined: Tue May 07, 2002 7:21 pm
Location: Calgary

Re: and then the bartender said, "No charge for you!&am

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:14 pm

"Hey, we all do stupid things. Don't mean we quit going. Now, you need any help with this tea here?"


User avatar
Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006
 
Posts: 2408
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:32 pm
Location: Indianapolis

What kind of a ruckus? Could you describe the ruckus?

Unread postby Kai » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:48 pm

"No... No, I'm fine." She cleared her throat and shook her head to clear it.

Damned if I didn't know that was going to happen. Oh well. That's why I carry this.

While her tea was still on her mind, she pulled a mug out of her backpack. Apparently she drank this often enough to justify carrying around a vessel for it. She used her trowel--still dirty and with a couple of blades of grass sticking to it-- to strain out the tea leaves as she poured the tea into her cup.

Virginia sat back on her heels, holding the mug in both hands as she sipped the liquid.

"So. We going to move on or wait for someone to come back from Jansen?"

Whether that someone is a shadowy blind man with holes blown in him or a somewhat more familiar feline hardly seems relevant, she thought to herself.


PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests

cron

Yalogank