Quiet Obedience: Quest of the Star Blade

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
Mechanisto

Quiet Obedience: Quest of the Star Blade

Unread postby Mechanisto » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:14 pm

Moonlight filtered through scudded clouds, bathing the grassy landscape below with pale blue light. Nothing of interest covered the ground, other than expanses of dark, shifting grass. A single troop of travelers trudged along, at a brisk pace; each wore a dull, light cloak, and carried either a heavy pack or a claustrophobicaly flickering lantern. They marched straight, but without any apparent path or landmark to guide them. Only after an hour did their target come into view.

Some distance away, the land became uneven; a series of hills and short cliffs broke the otherwise uneventful horizon. The travelers marched into this natural maze, carefully navigating the darkness. Their lamps flared brighter, now that their visibility was not an issue. After some time, they came to a doorway, large enough for two horses shoulder to shoulder, and reinforced with iron bands. The lead traveler knocked three times, and a view slit clacked open for a moment. The door ground open a moment later, and the travelers entered.

They marched quickly, with greater confidence and vigor; the adjoining hallways were lined with arrow slits along the walls and ominous-looking holes in the celing; heavy metal gates barred the way at regular intervals, but lifted with a mechanical shudder as the travelers approached. The next room resembled a guardpost, manned by a half-dozen men and women. The travelers tossed their bags onto several tables here, each armful clattering with the sound of tempered steel or woodden spear-shafts. They discarded their cloaks, revealing an elaborate array of chain and scale mail, tight-fitting and articulate enough to serve as a second skin. The design was vaguely uniform.

They marched deeper into the underground base, pushing through crowds of shady and grim-faced people; a place of thieves, mercenaries and cuthroats. The halls were designed with the style of a fortress, or perhaps a dungeon. They soon came to a larger series of open halls, where tables and alcoves housed all manner of tradesmen and merchants. The crowd bustled, as every imaginable kind of business transaction (legal and otherwise) was haggled over. People parted as best as they could for the newly arrived men.

They passed through a guarded doorway, made a few turns, and entered a spacious, and expensively decorated throne room; unlike the dungeonesque quality of the rest of the underground base, this room was furnished with fine decor, and filled with a variety of expensive relics and ornaments. Silver chandeliers hung from the celing, providing a cold, magical light of some sort. But most surprising of all were the weapons... swords, axes, maxes, and daggers of every kind covered every available wall surface; Hanging from hooks, suspended by racks, or crossed into a coat of arms. Every weapon was unique; some were completely mundane, others were utterly alien. No two were alike.

The room was filled with people of a more scholarly or managerial occupation, serving as whatever passed for government in a haven of thieves. The 'throne' was not nearly as expensive as the decor; fashioned in a square, gothic manner, from wrought iron, and bereft of any cushions or upholstery. Upon it sat a man as cold as iron itself; a slender, atheltic musculature under an exquisitely crafted suit of armor. The outfit intricately combined chain, scale and banded armor over a flexible leather frame. His face was almost that of a young boy; save for the pale white skin, and vast array of light scars that stitched across almost every inch of his skin. The armor, both leather and metal was a mix of slate grey and ask black. A longsword lay clasped across his back, the blade uncovered. He stood as the men approached the throne. The surrounding attendants diverted their full attention to the center of the room.

The leader stepped foreward, holding a scroll to the man on the throne. "Pardon, Karuzhe... but your guests have begun to arrive."

Karuzhe nodded, with a warm smile. He spoke with a strange, hard accent, but his voice was unusualy deep and resonant. "Excellent. Start the preperations, and ready the feast room. You can bring them here as soon as their identity is confirmed. I shall be in my quarters."

Karuzhe stood, and adjusted his collar slightly as he left the room.

---

One of the larger public feasting halls was abuzz with activity; chairs and furniture were dragged into place, even as the "guests of honor" began to trickle in; all manner of thieves, mercenaries and cutthroats, in addition to a more reputable number of adventurers and explorers. People from all walks of life had arrived. This was not a challenge any of them would have wanted to miss, for the reward was rumored to be most spectacular. Competition was going to be fierce indeed.

SRGPI

Re: Quiet Obedience: Quest of the Star Blade

Unread postby SRGPI » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:30 pm

A dark robed man trudged into the hall, slowly. This motley gang of vagabonds and vagrants did not amuse him; the decadent people of society, willing to rob their mothers for a nickel. He had come only out of curiosity...a rumored legendary sword was flying about the rumor halls in this place. It was only a matter of time until he found out what the devils these cretins were chittering about. He found himself a seat secluded from the main table, and started his somewhat vegetarian meal; of salad and freshly picked berries. The dark man gazed around the room, awaiting for something amusing to happen.

WhiteWerefox

Re: Quiet Obedience: Quest of the Star Blade

Unread postby WhiteWerefox » Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:17 pm

Dalis had every right to be at this gathering, but gatherings in general made her nervous. You never knew when the slightest nuance of behavior would offend someone. A few people were offended enough at her race alone to draw blades. Apart from being visibly a beggar, professionally a thief, and relativly underage, she was usually dismissed as an oversized mouse to most.

Getting in was little trouble: she had been running messages between the master here and Sifer for years now, almost a third of her life. Most of his staff and guards knew her on sight. Aside from that, she'd gotten an invitation. Small recompence, she supposed.

The hall itself was what gave her most trouble. Large groups were not her preferance, and the atmosphere did little to calm her.

Dalis collected some foodstufs and sat herself by a wall. She ate, then took out her fiddle and played. She didn't have express permission to perfrom, but a little music went well with a feast.

(Attempts to play fiddle for the crowd)

Mechanisto

Re: Quiet Obedience

Unread postby Mechanisto » Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:18 pm

[Dalis: Fiddling Roll 14/6, Notable Success]

((OOC: Any character that wants to attempt anything at all should list the command in square brackets; I'll respond with the roll and result... unless it happens without the party's knowledge, of course. If you want to make a secret roll, for anything the other party members shouldn't know about, let me know over aim or through a private message.))

Everyone was gossiping and carousing, telling crude jokes and sharing outrageous stories. A few entertainers began plying their trade, much to the appreciation of the crowd. For that dinner, all rivalries had become friendly ones, and the mood was almost festive. A handful of people simply ignored the conversation: there was no rumor here they had not already heard.

After some time, a man at the head of the room stood, and slammed his iron chalice against the table three times, splashing wine messily about. His grey-black leather armor resembled a casual uniform; his face was pale white, his hair a bizarre sky-blue, and his eyes a piercing violet hue. Only the countless scar lines that covered every inch of his skin suggested he was anything but a mild-mannered young man. The room quickly quieted, though the mood remained somewhat festive.

"Hunters, and explorers... associates and patrons... rivals and comrades..." The man stood from his gothic metal throne, lifting his now half empty glass, and addressed the room. "Many of you are new to this feasting hall, and the event that will soon follow. Running on instincts, powered only by rumors and myths, you were drawn to this place. Those who doubt the veracity of my words, well... you need only speak to the veterans who have taken my challenges in the past, and returned victorious!" The man smiled then, lifting his cup for emphasis; a cheer rose from some of the guests.

"The ruins of Jed; the lost fortress of Grammokhol; the petrified remains of the demon prince who led the doomed assault against elysium... every year, a new challenge, a new treasure; a unique and exotic weapon delivered to my collection, as proof of success. The wealth, and above all prestige, of this next quest will far exceed all others combined. Honored guests, I have an announcement to make..."

"I have decided to retire my leadership. What I intend to do... time will tell. In the meantime, a new leader must be chosen, to lead my fine crew to continued victory." The room was deathly silent as he continued. "I thought it fitting to use my annual challenge to decide upon an heir. And with such a reward, only a fantastic quest will do. I think you'll all agree that, this time, I've outdone myself."

By now, a small easel had been brought over, with a painting covered by a cloth. He tore it off, revealing an exquisitely painted work of art; an image of a hero, clad in shining armor, perched atop a rock. A vast army of soldiers charged into battle, bearing the banners of some unrecognizable country. The central theme of the painting was clearly the sword the mysterious knight held aloft; a shining sliver of metal, clearly depicted as a weapon of unimaginable power.

Karuzhe continued. "None know the origin or purpose or even name of this weapon. None know if it is a supernatural weapon, or simply a historical artifact. It's largely been thought a myth... until now. I've had the country's finest researchers, archeologists and historians studying some newly uncovered documents. After a year of work, there can be no doubt; the blade does exists, and it sleeps on a harsh tropical island, far off the eastern cost of our continent. To whoever finds this blade and returns it, the reward shall have many parts; all the material wealth I possess; each and every weapon in my fantastic collection; the loyalty of the most powerful band of rogues ever known; the reputation of a master explorer and adventurer; and above all, a revered place in this world's history."

"I shall provide maps to this island on the agreed upon date of departure. To all who desire, the material we have thus gathered on the sword itself is available for your study. In the meantime, consider yourselves guests in my home. I place my servants and attendants at your disposal, and offer my hospitality."

Karuzhe sat again, and the entire room redoubled it's conversation. Many crowded around Karuzhe's place at the table, eagerly asking questions. Some conspired within their individual groups of allies, and others still left quickly, with other business to attend to. Anyone wearing an official crest of Karuzhe's house was immediately beset by questions, bribes, demands and threats; only the former of which were appeased. None had expected the king of thieves to offer his very throne as a reward.

White Werefox

Unread postby White Werefox » Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:37 pm

Dalis set her fiddle back in it's case as soon as the sword was mentioned. She wasn't sure if she could play.

She ground her teeth. Whoever was getting to those islands, she had to be with the ones that got there first. Well, she could fix that easily enough. THe question was... would anyone take her.

She scanned the crowd. Few would take a liking to bringing a youth along, let alone one of her slight build and un-efeminate appearance.

She got up from her seat, and slipped along the tables.

The Blackwood and Iron Wolf mercenary companies turned her down immediatly. Lord Izzard wouldn't hear her out. Captain Guthfryth didn't believe her offer. Aethelstan was busy.

Eventually she started asking groups and people she didn't know, but she was far worse off with them for lack of reputation. After some time, she got to a Dark Robed Man sitting in front of a vegetarian meal.

"Please sir, hear me out." She said, and gave him the same proposition she had been for the last hour. "The map he speaks of only leads to a series of islands, not to the exact resting place of the blade. I know it's exact location, and I have been there before. I must get to that island, and I care not for the reward Karushe offers: you can have the sword."

"Please, sir, I'm in desperate need."

SRGPI

Unread postby SRGPI » Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:25 am

The man halted his eating for a second, as his hood turned towards the youth.

"I might be interested, seeing as I watch the rest of these cretins turn you down. But I must first know...what is your reason for getting to the island first?"

He kept his hood close to his face to cover his features, but he was examining the youth himself.

"Speak soft if the truth be hard to tell."

[Requesting Truthfulness check here. :P]

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:44 am

(ooc: Not too sure if I should actually post... since My character is most decidedly NOT in that room.)

Elsewhere in the world...

Eathan Drake trudged along, dragging his makeshift sled behind. The triangular rig of tree shafts and ropes were doing a good job of carrying his backpack and all of his gear, and set up so he could cut and run, if he absolutely had to... But not knowing where the hell he was, was making him REALLY hard pressed for even thinking about leaving his stuf behind. His survival knife and bokken were both at his side, with any luck, he wouldn't need their services, but he wasn't holding his breath.

At this point, he'd been going for almost half a day, and he still hadn't found anything that even LOOKED like a road. He didn't even tempt fate, by wondering how it could possibly get worse.

WhiteWerefox

Unread postby WhiteWerefox » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:55 am

Dalis hung her head. "As I said, I've been to the island before. I had little choice in leaving and left someone I shouldn't have." She said. "I fear for his safety, and must make haste."

SRGPI

Unread postby SRGPI » Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:08 pm

The man paused for a moment. He put a gloved hand into his hood and rubbed his chin.

"Whether you tell the truth or not, I cannot tell. For the time being, I shall aid you. Find your items that you will need for this trip, I shall still be here."

He turned his hood back to his meal, except he paused once more. He didn't try to hide his feelings this time.

"However, if I find trickery in this, I shall make sure you're trip to Mandos is not a pleasant one."

The man went back to his meal.

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:48 pm

Within the feasting hall, the mood had grown more serious. Though the festivity continued, everyone was eager to begin questing after this new challenge. Half the room had left already, and most of those remaining were crowded around the entrance to the library that had been set up for the occasion. Karuzhe had retreated to the rear of this library, still answering questions and handing out notes and scrolls.

---

For the first time since Eathan had arrived at this place, a sign of life made itself visible on the horizon; after a few minutes, a caravan could be seen, with several animal-driven wagons. It was decidedly midieval, with a weary, vagrant look to it. This in and of itself would have been merely odd; of greater concern was the fact that the wagons were each drawn by a pair of giant, six-legged lizards with green scales and shiny red eyes. The lizards were harnessed with the sort of tack and eye-blinders one would have expected from any well-trained horse. They seemed extremely docile.

Without any terrain to hide behind, there was nothing to do but wait as the caravan approached. The figures sitting up front wore light black cloaks that concealed them well, though their heads and necks were uncovered. Most were young, with the slight air of well groomed soldiers off duty; they looked as tough as nails, and were armed with axes, machetes and maces. The lead driver noticed Eathan, and shouted something in an unrecognizable language to the other caravans. The train was brought to an abrupt stop with little fuss (the lizards reacted quite obediently), and a group of armed guards approached the side closest to Eathan. They seemed to regard him quite strangely indeed. They had clearly noticed his clothing and belongings (his weapon in particular, though they made no great commotion about it.)

The one who had been driving the foremost caravan shouted at Eathan, in the same indecipherable language. He didn't sound angry or hostile... at least not overtly.

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:37 pm

Eathan pulled the release knotts at his shoulders, but took his time letting the thing fall to the ground. When he was free of it, he extended his hands out from his sides to show he wasn't reaching for any of his weapons, but kept his eyes on the guards. He REALLY didn't like the odds much, and hoped they would be friendly.

"I'm afraid I don't understand you," he yelled back as nonthreateningly as possible.

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:59 pm

The leader regarded him for a moment. He then turned back to the caravan, and shouted something short and curt. The other men smiled or grinned, Some returned to their duties, others stayed. A younger man, wearing light body armor fashioned from dark leather and chain links stepped foreward, with a rather cocksure grin on his face, and pulled a pair of swords from behind one of the caravans; as he tossed one at the ground before Eathan, he realized it was a simple wooden prop.

The man smiled, and twirled his own sword in what seemed like a fanciful salute. It ended pointing at him. The watchers leraned against the caravan, as though this sort of thing happened just about every day.

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:18 am

/He's challenging me to a contest, I think./

Eathan stepped up, picking up the wooden long sword. He took a few gentle practice swings with it. It's weight and balance felt completely foriegn in his fingers. If he was reading his challenger right, he wanted to test his skill against him. He swapped the weapon to his other hand, the slowly drew the bokken from his belt. Then he clacked the two weapons together, to show that his own was wooden as well.

Holding his bokken up, Eathan tilted his head, asking through body posturing if his challenger wouldn't mind him using his own?

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:57 am

(ooc: editted from an AIM play session...)

The man looked a little unimpressed. He shrugged, and waved his sword a little impatiently. It seemed Eathan had the first move. He also seemed a little dissatisfied with that fact, but remained patient.

Eathan tossed the wooden longsword aside, then stepped foreward, sliding his bokken back to sheathing position, holding it with his left hand. He closed to within 3 paces, then bowed, as he would to any other competitor. Then he assumed his stance, and watched his challenger.

The man seemed a little taken aback, and even glanced over his shoulder at the spectators behind him. A few jeered something, but he maintained his composure, and even managed a short nod of the head in return. After that, he wasted no time; he opened with a simple foreward slash, executed with notable speed.

TalonStarblade: [Attempting Iajustsu fastdraw, on success, he will try to parry the strike.]
TalonStarblade: [Fast Draw(Katana, p/e), DX+1, 2, 15 (+1 from Combat Reflexes)... Total: 16]
MechanistoX: [Fast Draw roll =12 of 16: Sucess] [parry roll = 5 of 7: sucess ]

Eathan's wooden 'blade' moved more than swiftly enough to deflect his attacker; his opponent seemed more than a little overconfident.

Completing the smooth motion, Eathan only took the two steps of the technique... The first one in time with the draw and parry, the second on his counter strike across the abdomin.

MechanistoX: [attack roll = 7 of (14-3) sucess] [parry roll = 4 of 5 Critical Sucess]

The strike was calulated and precise, but the other man's sword managed to be in the perfect place for it; the force behind this parry almost knocked Eathan's weapon from his hand. The crowd behind cheered slightly; it had been quite a lucky move.

Eathan continued the series, spinnig to his right, to strike across the man's back.

TalonStarblade: [General torso target. one-handed swing.]

MechanistoX: [ouch]
MechanistoX: [Attack roll 9 of 14 Sucess] [Dodge roll 12 of 6] [Damage roll 1d+3-1 = 8]

This time, the hit was more than effective; the sword landed on target, and Eathan could feel something break under the leather armor. The manlet out a sharp cry of pain, and immediately dropped his sword. He ended up falling to his knees, clutching his side with a grimace. The crowd behind immediately started booing and laughing.

Eathan almost winced, as he heard the bones crunching. Almost without thought, he'd taken a step back, and had belted his bokken. Though designed for training, it trully was a weapon, and for that, he cursed himself. He moved around to the front of the man and kneeled, making sure that he had the man's attention.

The man winced, and made a visible effort to keep the pain down; it was still obvious that he'd taken a heavy hit; one that put the average man on the street in a hospital for several days.

Eathan knew covering pain well, he'd done it plenty of times himself. But he also knew the sound of crunching ribs, when he heard them. Getting the man's eye, he signalled using his body, trying to show the man than he might be able to help.

The man managed a clenched smile, and shook his head. Only then did Eathan notice the rest of the soldiers gathered around. They seemed to be more amused than hostile. One of them knelt beside his hurt comrade, and touched his side for a moment. The leader said something short to Eathan, and gestured to follow as he went back to the caravan.

Eathan nodded, but grabbed his rig before following them to it.

As they approached the last caravan in the train, one of the other men tossed him something that looked like a large duffel bag. When they reached the wagon itself, the leader stroked his chin slightly, lost in thought. He gave Eathan an appraising look, and then reached under his own collar. When he pulled his hand back, he held a small pendant; a simple piece of string, with the miniature emblem of a sword hanging from it. He looked at Eathan, with a piercing gaze. He seemed to expect something of him.

Eathan looked into the bag, then back up to the man. He wasn't sure what the man expected, especially if it hand anything to do with the pendant... He didn't wear Jewelry.

The duffel bag turned out to be empty; the suggestion seemed to be that he carry at least some of his belongings in it. He realized that it would at least be a less conspicuous thing to carry around. When he didn't react to the pendant, the man just paused, and reached for Eathan's shirt collar in a non-threatening way. He tugged at something briefly, and lifted up a pendant from the inside of his shirt. The cord tugged at the back of his neck slightly. Eathan was absolutely certain he hadn't been wearing one even a minute ago, and someone certainly hadn't put it on since then. He'd never even seen one in his life, before today. Before he could react, the man gestured for him to pack his things into the bag, and left for the front of the wagon.

Eathan began putting his stuff into bags, not forgetting to recover his rope. He tied them together to be sure he'd be able to recognize them, when he needed them. Then, he followed the leader, but also took the time to look at the pendant. Where the hell had it come from... But more importantly, what exactly did it mean? He found himself a place to sit, and really examine the pendant, as well as look his bokken over.

From appearances only, it was just an ordinary molded miniature of a sword. It was crudely fashioned, with a few burrs from where it was pried from the mold. There was nothing odd about it at all... untill he turned it around. On the flat side, a simple lined symbol had been carved. Nothing that made any sense, but... the simplicity of the design suggested that it was either a letter, or some kind of runic symbol. For a moment, he was unable to look away; it seemed to hold his attention, and the metal seemed to gain a bit of weight. The sensation was gone in a moment, though.

Eathan shook his head to clear it. He'd fought for years to try and ignore such odd feelings from things, but they always found a way of calling his attention. He let the thing lay against his chest, letting it slip from his mind for now. He looked over his Bokken, making sure that the weapon hadn't suffered any real damage from his "duel," but at the same time, listened to the people talking. He had to find a way of communicating with them, or he was bound to get into trouble... One way, or another.

"Hey!" He was brought from his thoughts as someone spoke from behind him. He was the man that had helped his opponent walk off the field; his lack of any weapon made him immediately unique among the rest; otherwise, his outfit and manner were similar. Much to his relief, the voice continued, in plain english. "What's your name?"

TalonStarblade: "E... Eathan Drake," he stumbled out, shocked at the actual communication. "Given everything earlier, I didn't think any of you knew my language."

The man held up a hand after he spoke his name. "I know what your probably thinking, E. Eathan Drake, but I'm not speaking your mother tongue... your just hearing it. Just nod or shake your head until I get that part figured out. In the meantime, your welcome to join us to the gathering of fortune; your pendant proves you're invited... though if you killed whoever had it before, you deserve to take his place. From what you did to Kenery, I wouldn't doubt it."

Eathan nodded. Still, he tried to speak, using some simple jestures as he spoke. "Do you hear your tongue or mine, when I speak?"

The man frowned a bit. "No, no... I can't understand you. I can only make you understand me for a while. And I'm only doing this to tell you to get your stuff packed, and get in the caravan, so we can get moving again. We can find a better linguist there, and besides... the gathering of fortune won't wait for us, you know." The man turned to go, but looked over his shoulder. "After you finish packing, join me up front; you should stay close to me, since I can tell you what's going on, and it's the only free place to sit anyways." With that, he left.

Since he was already done packing his gear, he followed the man.

The man was sitting up in the drivers seat; little more than an un-cushioned bench. He saw Eathan, and nodded his head. "Have a seat... we're waiting on you."

He hopped up, at the man's urging. These guys were kind enough to help him out, no sense making them wait any longer. He'd take the time to pull out his note book, so he might be able to work things out, but frankly, he didn't know what that might be. Still, he wanted information. Pulling out the pendant, he first pointed to it, then flipped it over, and pointed to the "Rune" on its back. He schrugged his shoulders and wore an expression that emphasized questioning.

The man reached over, flipped the pendant over in his hand so that the embossed side faced up, and tapped the pendant. "It is what it is..." he then lifted his vest open a bit, and took something from an inside pocket. When he withdrew his hand and held it open for Eathan to see, it took his breath away; in his hand were a pair of large gemstones, carved perfectly into flat octagons with beveled edges. They glimmered with an incredible inner light, and seemed to leave a blur of light in the air. One was an emerald; the other sapphire. On the front of each was carved a symbol, and into these deep carvings a silvery metal had been carefully inserted. The man leaned over, speaking casually. "Command..." he tapped the sapphire. "...reptile." he tapped the emerald. He placed them firmly into Eathan's fist, one on top of the other, and closed his fingers around them both. He nodded, with a slight smile. For a moment, his eyes seemed to twinkle like the gems themselves. "Go on... Give it a try."

"You kidding," he muttered, looking at the jeweled things in his hand. "Move foreward," he said out loud, as his fingers wrapped around the bit of metal and stones.

The instant he finished speaking, the jewels seemed to pull at his skin, as though he'd just wet his hand, and gripped a freezing cold iron. It only lasted an instant. The sensation he got was only that he had somehow set something into motion; something that had been delicately organized, needing only for a single part to be set into motion for the rest to go as planned...

The lizards immediately lifted their heads, and began lumbering foreward at a controled pace.

[Fright Check Roll 11 of 14]

Ethan was shocked, but perhaps not as frightened as anyone else would have been. His own experiences had hardened him somewhat to such strange happenings... but never before had anything been direct; tangible; quantifiable. This had been different.

When he looked back at the man, he was simply leaning back against the wagon; now wearing a large brimmed hat, with a bright feather in the side. It was tipped foreward, covering his face. Eathan swore he could see a slight smile. The man said nothing more; he was infuriatingly silent for the rest of their trip.

Eathan really WAS shocked... But it was COOL. Those gemstones REALLY WERE controlling the lizards. It was incredible. He kept the beasts following what he THOUGHT was the road. He just hoped his benefactor would stay awake, to make sure he was steering them on the right path.

WhiteWerefox

Unread postby WhiteWerefox » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:48 pm

Dalis crouched on the table bench. "Your warning is heeded. I suppose that we have wasted time enough here. We should find a ship and be on our way swiftly."

SRGPI

Unread postby SRGPI » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:05 pm

The man nodded, and cross his utensils in the wooden bowl he used for a container as he ate. An object within the right side of his cloak clattered on the wooden bench as he got up, and headed towards the door.

"We must hurry, before some rot mite here gets lucky."

He exited the hall.

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:17 am

The rest of Eathan's trip was largely uneventful, though the strange control he had over the giant reptiles was endlessly fascinating. After some time, he began to realize that his control was limited; the man with the runes seemed to have set the guidelines for their path, and Eathan could do little more than drive them foreward. He was almost having a hard time believing his own senses.

An hour passed, almost too quickly, before they approached rougher terrain; the land ahead was full of steep hills and sudden cliff-edges, as though this area had just been shaken into disarray. The lizards slowed a bit, and navigated through a narrow path of level ground. after a few minutes of this, they reached a heavily barred door, large enough for three men to stand, shoudler-to-shoulder. The door opened, and armed men emerged; these men wore darker, well-worn armor that looked mismatched in places. Both groups began hauling goods out of the wagon. A few of the wagon's soldiers ignored this labor, heading straight for the door. A handful of the soldiers (including the caravan's leader and the driver that had spoken to him) approached the door, ignoring the labor. The leader gestured for him to follow.

As they filed into the door, each showed a sword pendant to the guards, who nodded, and made a note on a scroll. The saw Eathan's pendant, and motioned him in withotu a word. With nowhere else to go, Eathan followed. This was starting to look less and less reputable by the minute...

---

Dalis and the dark cloaked man emerged from the feasting hall, to the sight of a crowd of men entering the main chamber. All were dressed in much cleaner, neater armor than the denizens of this nest of thieves, and the cut and design suggested an attempt at uniform appearance. They had a vaguely military look about them.

They seemed to be having an argument with one of the local guards, but were otherwise unoccupied.

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:51 am

(ooc: editted together from chat session...)

Dalis frowned. "I know these guys... they run a good ship."

The dark man responded. "Ship? Can we get passage with them?"

"Sure... if you can't buy passage, I can give them the same pitch I gave you."

The dark man snorted. "Sadly, I must say my funds are cutting a bit short."

"Right. I'll see what I can mannage." She said, and headed over to the group.

[MX] The party of soldiers were largely wandering around the hallway; some examined the tables piled high with historical and mythological information about the sword. Others were haggling over any of a number of transactions. Still others simply loitered in groups, observing. The leader had finished talking with the local guard. The young man with him wore very unusual dress, and seemed somewhat out of place.

"Captain!" Dalis shouted. "If you have an interiest in the sword, I have a proposition."

[MX Reaction Roll = 14: Good] The captain turned,and smiled congenially as he saw her. "Fair thee well! Dalis, isn't it? Youspeak of the sword?"

[MX Reaction roll for Eathan = 15-3: Good]
After control a pair of massive lizards, be mystic remote appearently, Eathan had somewhat prepped himself to expect pretty well anything that would have been coming his way... A human sized, talking mouse, was NOWHERE on the mental list he'd prepped up. On the good side, he didn't stare at the creature for more than five or six seconds. Part of what held him so, was the fact that it was human enough, for him to actually tell that it was FEMALE.

Dalis nodded to the captain. "I've got more than words about the sword. Care to discuss them in private?"

[MX] The captain seemed to both nod and shake his head. "Yes, but it will have to wait untill we get this young man squared away. He doesn't seem to speak any language that we've heard."

Dalis nodded. "Fair enough, but time is pressing."

The man in the back nodded, and added into the conversation. "Already are other competitors off into the seas."

[MX] The captain smiled thinly. "In that case, they have completely wasted their efforts... the maps will not be distributed untill an agreed upon date. Unless they intend to check every isle off the western coast, of course."

The dark man shrugged. "Nonetheless, one may have enough dumb luck to stumble upon it."

Dalis grinned. "Besides... Karuzhe doesn't have all the maps." She nodded to the robed man.

Eathan just kept to himself, listening to the conversations, for all the good it did to him. For the first time in probably his entire LIFE, he let himself be aware of his little odd feeling... Seeing as at this point, it might just save his ass.
[MX Sense Roll: 11 of 14: sucess]
Eathan began to realize that the local guards were eyeing their group a little more than before.

"An ally of mine," She said, "whether or not others may have to wait a week for maps, I am in great haste for other reasons."

The dark man crossed his arms. "Then let's get to work then."

[MX] The captain frowned slightly, thinking hard. "Well... this will take further consultation... prefferably in private."

The dark man glanced around at a few eyes that were preying upon them. "Preferably private where people won't have an easy time eavesdropping."

[Eathan's Sense Roll = 13 of 14 = sucess] Eathan's eyes followed just as the dark robed man's, but his picked one man out from the crowd; one of the guards glanced directly at them, and put a hand on his weapon. He wasn't sure what they were planning, but it didn't look pleasant...

Uneasily, the dark man quickly said to the Captain, "I fear we're already drawing too much attention out here. Do you have any place that we won't be followed into easily?"

[MX] The captain nodded curtly. "We can always take a private room in the back... this way, I know these halls well." He turned towards a door.

The dark man followed.

[MX] One of the guards quickly stepped to block the captain's path. "Beggin yer pardon, sir... but the prince wants a word with ye..."

One of the dark man's arms disappeared into his robe, letting the other drift to his side, but the hood changed to Eathan, and he nodded, as if it beckoned him to be ready.

[MX]In an instant, All the guards around them drew steel; a dozen swords were pointed at their small group. Only the similar reaction from the captains own men prevented an immediate blood bath from taking place.

The dark man raised an eyebrow. "Did you happen to have a bad parlay with them a while ago?" The dark man pulled a sheath from a hidden belt within the robe, and gripped the top of the sheath, ready to use the sheath to parry while he draws his sword.

/Not good,/ Eathan thought. This was not likely to be a good, but he kept hs left hand on the Bokken, ready for anything.

The dark man raised an eyebrow. "Did you happen to have a bad parlay with them a while ago?" He then pulled a sheath from a hidden belt within the robe, and gripped the top of the sheath, ready to use the sheath to parry while he draws his sword.

[MX] The captain arched an eyebrow, staying remarkably calm. "No... in fact, I know their leader reasonably well. I can't fathom why they'd way lay a group of completely innocent men." The captain glanced at his men. "We're all completely innocent men, arent we?" There was a general nod of agreement all around.
[Dark-Cloak-Guy's Lying-through-his-teeth Roll: 8 of 11 Sucess, If dark-Cloak feels the need to remain silent about their conspiring to set out early, he may do so]

The dark man shrugged. "I just hope I don't have to bloody my blade too early in this expedition."

[MX] The comment didn't seem to encourage the guards overly much. Another uncomfortable moment passed, and then a deep, resonating voice called out over the crowd. The local guards reacted immediately. "By the ninth wave, what's going on here!?" The guards parted slightly, and lowered their weapons. The imposing figure of Karuzhe, the prince of brigands, stood down the hallway. The guards waffled a bit as they tried to explain, but their leader would have none of it. He simply waved for silence and eyed the group critically.

The dark man put his sheath back into his robe. "A little misunderstanding, I call it."

[MX] Karuzhe seemed a little less perturbed, butone of the guards spoke up quickly. "Misunderstanding? Bah! They was talkin' bout settin' off early with a map!" Karuzhe was about to say something, but stopped as he saw Dalis. "You... come here."

Dalis shrunk, but stepped forward. "Ah... sir?"

Karuzhe eyed her, and then rolled his eyes in exasperation."I suppose you think your clever? You had your chance. I don't see any reason to respect someone who failed so miserably in the past." He snapped his fingers before anyone could respond. "Send them to the brig for the moment. The good one; not that louse ridden dungeon... And treat them well. I'll investigate this claim myself."

The dark man shrugged, and pulled his sheath out, but he held it in the middle for one of the guards to retrieve it instead of the top, his typical combat grip.

[MX] The guards immediately lowered their weapons.The group was quickly taken to a series of secure prison cells that actuallylooked reasonably comfortable. Most of the Captains men were also rounded up; those who struggled were hauled down forcefuly, but none were hurt. The captain, the cloaked man, Dalis, and Eathan all ended up in the same cell.

The dark man grumbled. "Well, at least this is not the first time I've hit the jail."

[MX] The captain seemed understandably frustrated at the situation. "Seems our little mouse here has something she needs to tell us. Seeing as how this is as private a place as it gets... I'd start talking now."

The dark man gazed with amusement. "Aye. I'm a bit curious as to the prince's reaction with her."

Dalis swallowed. "Well, I had a… mentor named Ensifer. He was a scholarly type, but got along well with Karuzhe. Ensifer got me off the street, out of theiving, and tought me some things that saved my life on a couple occasions. He and Karuzhe colaborated a lot on this legendary sword affair, and Ensifer thought he'd found it. He took me and a crew out, with some of Karuzhe's men, and tried to find the blasted weapon."

[MX] The captain sat foreward, shocked. "What!? You mean this isn't the first expedition? Karuzhe has sent his own men to look for them? What happened?"

Eathan sat there. He didn't have a clue what the hell had happened. They'd taken his bokken AND the survival knife he'd had... And STILL didn't have a clue what anyone was talking about.

The dark man gazed at Eathan, and nodded again. Patience, it probably implied.

Eathan sighed, closed his eyes, and meditated... Since there wasn't anything ELSE he could do.

Dalis nodded at the Captain. "That's exactly what I mean, Captain. Sifer and Karuzhe's men landed on that island months ago. Sifer told me to stay on the boat while he went and looked around. They never came back. The first captain waited sixdays for them to come back, and set sail for home." She hung her head. "Ihave to go back. If Sifer is still alive, I have to find him. I owe him toomuch."

[MX] The captain just stared for a moment. "Sounds like a perfectly dangerous place to me... If Karuzhe is resorting to a public bounty, disguised as a challenge... even he must fear the place." He shook his head slowly.

[MX] Eathan's meditation came easily enough. But somehow, it wasn't as calming... there was an unsettling sensation to it...

[MX] The captain glanced at the dark robed man. "I begin to doubt if my men are able to handle such a danger. We will take you, and lend aid... but I fear we may be the ones relying on you to actually aquire the artifact..."

The dark man shrugged. "All the new wonders for me to find out. It brings me to wonder if I can help close this little history problem myself."

[MX] The captain nodded. "I get the feeling that wealth and power is the last of your concern... but be that as it may, we still have to get out of here. And preferably, make sense of what our strange friend can say..."

[MX] At that very moment, Eathan was shaken from his meditation; it was sharp and sudden, and somehow menacing... it coincided with the loud sound of a dead-bolt being lifted on the door down the hall.

The dark man looked with wonder. "Perhaps we'll just have to get along with sign language, unless there are common things between our written languages."

[MX] A few quiet footsteps filled the hall, and after a moment, a young girl stood before the bars. She was unlike anything any of them had ever seen; pale and slender, straight black hair, and strangely piercing eyes. Despite her simple manner and dress, she was also unutterably beautiful. She then spoke in a language that was little more than meaningless gibberish to them... Except for one.

[MX] "Your compatriots express woe over your inability to communicate..." the girl spoke. "I believe that I can assist in that regard."

Eathan stared straight at the girl, and speaks in the same giberish. "Understandable. There are times when I have trouble understanding it myself. Can you help me? I'm afraid the language they speak is just as... Alien."

The dark man raised his eyebrows. "Well well. Looks like we have a connection."

[MX] The girl nodded, and opened the cell door witha small key. She spoke, in an even, authorative voice as beautiful as her face."Your freedom has been attained. Your weapons will be returned, and you may continue your business." As they left the cell, she put a hand on Eathan's arm, and whispered something only he could know. "I must have words with you alone. I believe I can adress your language difficulty as well. Come with me."

She had Eathan's undivided attention. "I'm all yours."

The girl smiles ever so slightly: "An understatement..." She says no more, but lead Eathan off. Eathan followed.

The dark man rose from his seat, and asked the captain, "So, how far away a drive shall we take to get to your ship?"

[MX] The captain frowned, end eyed the girl unapprovingly, but spoke to the dark man. "It will be a goodly travel to the coast; perhaps a week after my caravan sets out. We can stock up on supplies there." By now, the girl had left, still holding their strange guest by the arm. The captain shook his head, clearly displeased.

The dark man shrugged again. "Perhaps we'll find him at the entrance of town when we actually get there. We should be getting out of town as quick as we can...not with our little debacle here to spice up attention."

[MX] The captain nodde'd and glanced down the hall."It turns my stomach to think we owe our freedom to that girl... not the most trustworthy type, I must say. She has the ear of Karuzhe at her beck ad call...and other parts besides." He spit on the floor, clearly considering her a disgrace of some sort.

The dark man crossed his arms. "I can just guess we're going to be seeing more of her in the future. I just hope it won't be under the worst of circumstances. Anyways, we should get the caravan ready, I suppose."

[MX] The captain nodded, and led the way out of the hall. "I think it might be best to sleep and eat out of my caravan for the time being... right this way."

After retrieving his weapon, the dark man hid it within his robe and started following again.

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:13 pm

(ooc: editted together from AIM session.)

The young woman in the plain white dress led Eathan through the twisting, angular corridors; she moved quickly, and the crowds parted quickly for her.

Since she had him by the arm, he kept up with her, stride for stride.

After some time, they came to her room; an expensive looking affair, with luxurious furnishing. A large line of bookshelves lined one wall, next to a huge and cluttered desk. The opposite wall was lined with weapons and arms. The most prominent feature in the room, however, was her bed; a huge circular frame of incredible woodwork, surrounded by a sheer veil. She gestured to a table with a pair of cushioned chairs. "Please... seat yourself."

Eathan gave the room a solid look over. In their own ways, the books were as facinating to him as the weapons. "Thank you," he said, as he took a seat.

The table was conspicuously close to the wall of weapons, all of which looked very violent, dangerous, and well worn.

[MX: There's a huge variety of weapons; a few of them are likely to resemble swords he is trained with, but will still have an alien feel to him]

She sat on her bed, only a few feet away, facing him. He couldn't tell if her gaze was intense, or just vacant. She tilted her head slightly. "Do you wish refreshment?"

Eathan turned his eyes back to his beautiful hostess, yet couldn't shake the feeling he might be sitting in the middle of a Spider's den. "Actually, I am a little thirsty. Thank you."

She rose, gracefully, and opened a cabinet. She withdrew a bottle, a silver bucket of shaved ice, and a pair of crystalline goblets. They looked ridiculously fine and expensive. She sat at the table, across form him, opened the bottle, and served his drink. She returned to staring at him, intensely.

He couldn't believe a woman could move with the kind of fluid grace she was. And then, there were her eyes. He finally blinked, and shook his head a little, to clear his head a little. "Thank you again," he said, taking a sip of the drink of the red wine she'd pured. "I'm sorry for staring. I've never seen anyone your like... Or your equal." He took another sip, to try and fight back his dreaded shyness... Which he could already feel crawling up his spine.

The woman (or was she only a girl? her age was impossible to guess...) did little more than tilt her head again. "My equal?" For only an instant, she smiled; it was gone in a moment. "I should know the name of you and yours, if it pleases you." She took a dainty sip from her own goblet.

"My name is Eathan Drake. We call ourselves 'Humans.' To be honest, I don't know where my homeland is, in relation to this land. My instructor and our class were on a camping event, to help focus on our practicing, before a tournament we were to enter into, next week. But when I woke up the next morning, I, my tent and everything I have were in the middle of a group of towering stones. I ran into the caravan I came here with, half a day later."

She listened intently, then leaned back with her cup as he finished. "When sorrow comes, they come not in single spies, but in batallions..." She glanced down. "Then your dialect shall be but the first of many walls across'ed your fate. You have truly come far, across many more leagues than you might suspect. It will take much doing to return you thence..." She tilted her head, this time without repressing her slight smile. "Others might think you mad."

"As much I was afraid things might be like that... I'm not surprised in the least. Please forgive my asking, but how is it that you know my language." Eathan didn't normally talk like this, but his gut told him that if he used even the lightest of jargin speach, she wouldn't understand.

She smiled again. "The silence often, of pure innocence persuades, when speaking fails. It is not enough to speak, but to speak true." She leaned back slightly, and took the tone of one who recites from memory. "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."

"Now that's a bit of phiolsophy I've heard before."

"Honest plain words best pierce the ear of grief." She closed her eyes then, as though savoring something. "Leo Tolstoy, Mark Twain, Ambrose Biercre, Ray Bradburry... of all these giants, Shakespeare holds a central place in the temple of my mind..." Her gaze grew slightly more piercing. "I know of your home, Little Dragon. And I believe I can send you to it's shores again. But as said before, it will take much doing." She leaned foreward a bit, the cut of her dress distracting him slightly. "Can I assume I have at least a portion of your trust in what I say?"

Eathan's eyes went wide. "As surprised as I am, yes, you do have at least THAT much. You know of my world, and I'm a little ashamed to say, more about the literature of my world than I do. Do you have any theories on how I even got here?"

She pursed her lips; the deep red wine glistened brightly on them. "'How poor are they that have not patience...' This strange passage hath deprived you of your discipline. I can at the least allow you such practice as befits a day in your service." She stood, sashaying slightly, and slipped a slender sword from a rack on the wall. Eathan was quick to note that while it was of ornate craft, it was wood; it's length was light, and blunt. "Pray spar with a lonely lass, as we pass words?"

"I would be honored. Though normally, I wear padding when I spar." Eathan rose to his feet. "I take it there's a sparing room, or something like it we could go?"

She smiled, and looked unusualy sweet for a moment as she twirled her sword easily. "There should be enough room within for our needs. Have you your arms besides you?"

He nodded and rose to his feet. Standing in front of her, he bowed out of respect, then slowly drew out his bokken. Soluted, then assumed a waiting ready stance, weapon out. "It seems I'm gonna be at quite a loss on this world, if people are gonna know more about me and my world, than I do about this one. I still don't know where this sword pendant came from, or what the rune on it means. Not to mention the wierd sensation I got from it, when I held it."

As she listened, she swirled her sword about in an unusual flourish, as her opening salute. Ever since they'd met, she'd kept her arms close to her body; the brilliant white of her dress made it a little hard to see her. Something seemed unusual. "The sense you defer to your bauble is not unwarented... there is some simple energy about it; nothing of great concern." She stood at the ready, her arms held close. "Though only one with the gift would see anything but a simple metal casting."

With all the surprises she'd landed on him so far, Eathan wasn't about to underestimate her. He kept to his guard, watching her movements. His was a fighting art, likely hers, was the real thing. "I've been feeling things like that since I was a child. The stones that controlled the lizards that pulled the caravan I road in on. The feeling was even stronger.

"Fashion the opening of your desire..." She lifted her weapon, slowly to point at the base of his sword. Her stance was as poised as any motion she made before. "...the wierding stones? Was it a jewel, engraved with metal lines of power? And did you use this stone yourself?"

"Yes on both questions. Would you like the first strike?" Eathan focussed on his training, focussing in on the point where her collar bones met her sternum, no matter how enticing the view lower was. He let his peripheral vision drink in her movements and form, trying to read what they could.

[MX: Contest of skills: 25 vs ?? = Failure]
She moved as quickly as the flutter of a bird's wing; her sword leapt, but not where he expected; she didn't take advantage of her feint though, instead offering a playful smile. "It seems you have at least a touch of the gift, then. An attenuation for all things ephemeral. A curse, or a blessing, depending on who you query..."

"Are you talking about Magic... Real Magic?" /She can probably kick my ass, six ways from sunday. She could probably read me like a book too.// "Please forgive my asking, but are you related to any of the Fey races? While it seems you have a wide working knowledge of my world, I'm afraid all I have are ancient folk tales, and the imaginative prose of storytellers to work from."

She quirked an eyebrow, but her tone and poisture were as imperturbable as ever. "My knowledge of your world has no signifigant depth or breadth; what I have told you now was the result of much struggle and scrying on my part... yes, through the processes you refer to as 'magic.' They are but a natural part of our world; though the laws they define are less aptly understood..." She stepped foreward, her blade held straight; her other arm must have been tightly held against her back. "Those who understand and use the laws are mages... they bend the rules of flux and anchor to their desire. If any have absolute knowledge of it, they haven't publicized it." She moved foreward suddenly, her sword arced to strike against his, pinning it in the air as a simple opening move.

"And I can sence it," he said, as he tried to side-step the move. Something told him that likely he could learn a GREAT deal from her. He tried to move to get around it her blade, but his own doubt probably did more against him than she likely would. Then a stray though hit him... "Does that mean I might be able to do things myself... With Magic?"

She nodded mildly as she swirled her blade. "Ahhh... he begins to see the appeal of my favor! If you posess the gift, then yes; it may still be honed. As with all things, only dedication and intelligence is required." She swept her blade around his,"Have you any particular interests? Or shall any craft suffice?"
[MX: Skill test: Roll 7 of ?? = sucess ]

[Parry attempt. I still only have my Jacket on. So unless I crit, I'm pretty well screwed.]

[MX: Parry Attempt: Roll 16 of 7 = Failure]
The blade slipped past his own with unexpected ease; but it did not strike heavy. It simply came to rest against his side, stroking his shirt gently. She simply continued the conversation"...judging by the rarity of mana on your world, I suspect any circle of spells would be alien to you."

"Well... My grandfather had taught me the Rune stones of our ancesters... Even told me that he thought he'd made something happen once. But I'm pretty open minded. Especially now."
[Strike attempt... Not likely, but worth a try... If successful, he WILL pull the strike.]

[MX: Skill Test: Roll 10 of 14 Sucess]
[Parry Test: Roll 8 of ?? Sucess]
The attack glanced of her blade as she twisted her wrist in a tiny motion. The heavy blow stung his own hand, reminding him of how unarmored they were. "Runes... what language does your knowledge of symbols descend from? You may need to learn a completely new set; no easy task."

"The language is called 'Futhark,' but in the old times, they were called 'Odin's runes.' The story told, that when Odin was hung upside down from Yaggsahdryll, the world tree, for some crime, he saw the Runes in the water beneithe him. He gathered them up, and braught them with him, when he finally freed himself, and gave them to the people. I get the feeling my Sensei could likely learn a few things from you."

She executed a diagonal slash, bringing her blade to bear against his far arm; a difficult maneuver that missed by the thinnest of margins; She made a slightly pouty look. It was unsettling to fight someone who needed no balance from her off hand; he still couldn't see what she'd been doing with it.
[MX:Skill test: (Hit Right arm) Roll 16 of ??-4 Failure]

[A parry, to try and throw her off balance... Yeah, right]

[MX:Parry: Roll 10 of 7 Failure]
This time, her attack struck home; though again, there was too little force behind it to cause even a bruise. "Futhark? Interesting... I seem to recall such a language. I know it not myself, but it would be a useful start in any case. You must realize, though, that Runic magery is primarily a... shall we say, 'improvisational' form of magic. You will need intimate knowledge of the runes you use, as well as the language they hail from."

"Well, my grandfather had me learn them backwards and forewards... I know them by name, by number, and even the individual stories behind them. At least what he knew of them. At one point they even became part of the Nordic written language, as actual letters beyond their original meanings... Is improvizational magic a problem?

She smiled again, though she hid it less. "You may know what each symbol means... but to utilize a rune, you must have a deeper understanding of it's essence; it's history. As for improvization... your cleverness shall be the limit to your effect." She took a defencive stance, waiting for him to move. "You may study the Futhark rune in your passtime, drawing the hidden essence out of the mundane. For this, you may need no teacher. But I can provide for you a tome detailing a more signifigant dialect of runes."

"If you think that's the best way, then so be it. It's probably been so long since the true meaning of those runes were known, or their power drawn from them, that I'd likely be recovering what was lost. I am very willing to learn. In more ways than one."
[He's going to attmpt a feignt, to make it look like it's going for the body, but striking for the hand.]

[MX: Contest of skills: Feint]
[(Roll 8 of 14) vs (Roll 14 of ??)]
[Margin of sucess = 6 vs ?: Eathan wins]
The girl let out a tiny gasp as her sword simply wasn't in the right place at the right time; He could tell the trick had only barely worked; But it had worked.
[Eathan Strike: Roll 11 of 14 = Sucess]
[Girl Parry: Roll 15 of ??-6 = Failure]
The girl let out a quick (and somewhat cute) yelp as his sword struck the pommel of her weapon; she seemed quite surprised, and barely managed to keep hold of it. She was quiet for a moment, apparently just a tiny bit stunned at his sucess.

[MX: Trust me... it was about as close as such a roll can be :-)]

[Thanks.]

[MX: I just don't want you gettign too cocky. No offence intended.]

[Even Rookies can get lucky...]
"I didn't hurt you, did I?"

At that moment, the girl seemed to lose all her composure, and let out a gale of laughter; her voice was beautiful, and as clear as a silver chime. She sat back onto her bed, with a sigh, and put down her weapon. She was smiling broadly. "Fear not for all but my pride, Child of Dragons. I have learned my fill of pain..." She stood, and returned her weapon to it's place on the wall "...though it seems even such as myself may still learn a lesson from a novice now and then." She returned to her bed, and patted the matress beside her. "Come. Sit with me."

Eathan smiled back, as he put his sword at rest. Then he thought about it, and put the wooden blade on the table. A sign that she had his trust. Then he joined her on the bed. "You called me 'Child of Dragons.' Why?"

She gave him a quirky smile. "You must be a stranger to these lands... a drake is a mighty beast, born of Dragon's blood. Some would say that dragons hold the only true keys to magic... that mages have a drop of dragons in them..." She paused then, her face more serious again. "...and you do seem to wield some latent talent, beneath the facade you show the world..." She leaned a little closer, speaking softly. "I can bring it out of you... show you the first step on the long path. It may take you home. That is my offer. Will you hear my wishes in return?"

"And my family name is Drake," Eathan chuckled. "Do forgive me. I and my people take our names for granted... It goes back centuries. My grandfather once told me that names hold a kind of power." Eathan swallowed at her drawing closer. "And what kind of 'wishes' would you have?" Oddly enough, with the potentials to learn, he might actually consider staying a while.

"My patron... Karuzhe... seeks a mystic blade. He has gathered the greatest explorers, thieves, and treasure-hunters in the land, to search for it. That is the reason for today's gathering." She tilted her head a little, as though lost in memories past. She licked her lips slightly before continuing. "It... is also... the object of my desire." She turned to one side, and stroked her left hand across her right shoulder; Eathan then became aware of why he had so utterly failed to predict the movements of her right hand; She had none. Where her right arm should have been, her shoulder was only a smooth, featureless surface.

It came as quite a shock that he had simply never noticed it before; but her manner and motions had simply not brought attention to her disability; the brilliant white dress hid it well.

Eathan let the shock flow away from him, not wanting to insult her. Even without the arm, she was an incredible vision. He swallowed, knowing the effect she was having on him. The sword must be incredibly important. "Do all of your desires draw such attention?"

"No... none such as this." She looked a little distant. "Do you know... I once held it, myself... briefly, as I struggled against it's previous owner. It can never be seperated from the hand of it's owner; but I was not skilled enough to keep him from seperating me from my arm, and he retook it then. I have never seen it since."

MechanistoX: She looked deep into Eathan's eyes. "Go with the expedition. Find the sword. Return it to Karuzhe, that I might study it once more. Your talents may be useful for the ordeal ahead of you; perhaps this was your fate."

Eathan thought about his father, and grandfather. Perhaps it was his destiny. In taking up the Martial Arts, perhaps he'd been seeking what he'd found. "No road worth taking, is ever an easy one," his Sensei and Grandfather had both told him. More than once. It would be dangerous, probably foolhardy, but what an adventure. "I'll do it," he said almost as a whisper, looking equally deeply back into her eyes. He didn't know what it was he was looking for in them, or what he might actually find, but look he did. "I'll take the quest. Teach me what I need to know. It's possible that that knowledge itself, may be worth more than going home anytime soon."

She smiled. Strangely. This smile seemed more genuine; more heartfelt. She then stood, and slowly perused the bookshelf, eventually taking a thick, heavily reinforced book in hand. The handed it to Eathan. "Here. An elementary book on the nature of runes, and the most basic workings of symbolic magic. You may learn from it at your leisure. As for the emergance of your powers..." She held forth her one hand, intending him to take it. He felt a strange prickle on the back of his neck. For some reason he could not fathom, it seemed more signifigant than a simple handshake. It was a nearly ominous sense of forboding...

Eathan rose up while he took her hand. "Throughout my childhood, I've fought to to ignore that feeling, afraid that people would think me mad. Only to find out that it was something far grander. And it only got stronger, after my grandfather had died. My father had died when I was a child." Eathan took a quick look at the book in his other hand, and the writing on it. "By any chance, is this in a language I'll actually understand? Or will that be part of what I'm going to have to learn?"

The girl turned her head to one side, a playful, teasing motion. Her only response was pain.
[Will test: Roll 15 of 14 = Failure]
White hot lightning seemed to flow from her hand, into his; faster than his nerves could sense, a devestating pain filled his head, as though his arm, shoulder and neck were one continuous electric current. It left his arm in agony, and his head felt as though it were about to split open. Just before he felt he might fall unconcious, the pain abruptly stopped; there was no after-effect; there was no lingering headache, and his arm was untouched.

He realized he had fallen to his knees, as the girl leaned foreward and placed three ice-cold stones in his hands. She spoke as each was placed. "Percieve and Translate... Convey and Deliver... Word and meaning. They are of the Angorkhen set of runes. You will find them referenced in the book; along with others. I only wish we could have taken the more patient route, but time is of the utmost essence... I suggest you learn what you can on your own from now on."

[MX: Eathan has gained a few skills, all are temporary:
Activate Runes (m/vh)IQ-3 (+1 Cp)
Runes Lore: Angorkhen (m/vh)IQ-3 (+1 Cp)
Angorkhen Rune:Percieve/Translate (m/h)IQ-2 (+1 Cp)
Angorkhen Rune:Convey/Deliver (m/h)IQ-2 (+1 Cp)
Angorkhen Rune:Word/Meaning (m/h)IQ-2 (+1 Cp)
Eathan has also gained a -5 point Disadvantage to pay for them. Not telling!]

Eathan rose up off the floor. "Wow. What a rush. Is this permenent?"

The girl shrugged. "Power borrowed is never forever. Though it may not last till your elder years, it will suffice for your current quest. Perhaps a year or two, at the very least. You will wish to study the runes of your own choosing; this is not the most practical of sets, but it may prove especially useful in the immediate future."

"I'll have to look over the designs I found on the rocks around where I landed. They might be related for all I know."

The girl remained impassive. "If it must be done. But there is little time to waste.... Karuzhe is not the only one who has sent his agents searching."

"I understand. I thank you, my lady. You have given me a gift, few of my world are likely to ever truly see... As temporary as it is. Thank you. I will not let it go to waste."

The girl took his hand, and kissed his cheek lightly. It took him completely by surprise. She turned back towards her desk then, gesturing towards the door. "The book and the stones are all I have to offer. Go now, and blessed-speed." She paused, and glanced over her shoulder, but said nothing before returning to her desk.

Eathan paused at the table, long enough to recover his bokken, which slid back into his belt. At he door, he stopped, and looked back at her. He thought of something interesting to say, rather than just "goodbye," then it came to him. "May a new star shine over our meeting once more," he said, borrowing somewhat from Tolkien.

The girl seemed to pause from her reading; but he could tell nothing else of her thoughts or manner. The door to her chamber opened; a guard beckoned him to follow. "I shall return you to your allies. They await in the caravan, just outside." Unfortunately, the words were gibberish to Eathan.

[Rune casting attempt... Skill total, 12. Perceive/Translate & Word/Meaning.]

[MX: Skill test: Roll 11 of 12 = Sucess]
Eathan felt a little light-headed for a moment. As his head cleared, he realized that the guards words now made perfect sense! A welcome, though unsettling, effect.

The guard frowned slightly. "Is something wrong?"

"Ah, no," he said with a smile, having cast his FIRST spell ever. "Can you repeat what you said?"

The guard arched an eyebrow, looking quite confused. "Huh? Speak sense why don'tcha!"

While he'd been successful, Eathan could have kicked himself... He'd only cast a spell that would let HIM understand... He could feel the spell flowing in his mid, and relaxed, letting it die out. If he was successful with the next one, he wouldn't need it. Holding all three stones, he concentrated on them, and the effect he wanted. Just like a computer, you had to put things the right way, to make things happen the way you wanted it.
[Releasing previous spell, and casting a better one, using all 3 runes. Skill is sis still 12]

[MX: Rune casting: Roll 9 of 12 = Sucess]
The addition of a third rune didn't seem to add to the complexity; then again, these runes seemed to be doing all the work by themselves, needing only an invocation. The light-headed sense returned, and left him with the same eerie awareness as before. The guard looked just as puzzled.

"My apologies. Inexperience. Could you please repeat what you first said?"

The guard frowned impatiently, and nodded his head to follow. "Sure... Just follow me. Your friends are waiting for you by their caravan."

"Thank you." And follow he did.

WhiteWerefox

Unread postby WhiteWerefox » Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:59 pm

Dalis sat by the camp fire, holding her short cloak tightly around her. Meeting Karuzhe had shooken her up more than she had expected. At the very least, he hadn't seemed to catch onto the fact that not only did she have charts, but that they were more... specific than his.

At least they were finally getting underway. She'd retrieved the charts from seclusion, and the caravan was heading back to port next morning.

She sat, and passed time by singing quietly to herself.

SRGPI

Unread postby SRGPI » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:31 pm

The dark robed man had secluded himself into a corner of the caravan, thinking.

Who was that girl? Does she have influence over the Prince of the Bandits? Many questions, too few possible answers...I hope this expedition just answers them to the most positive effect.

He looked at a few engravements on his saber.

Kemencir, sword of Mablung of Doriath.

Those words were but in ancient elven. After the fall of Doriath, the many weapons that the great leaders used were lost. This one was only found in the depths of Menegroth, by the dark robed man's ancestors, before they left for Valinor. The dark man hid the saber within his cloak again, and went to a sleep.

WhiteWerefox

Unread postby WhiteWerefox » Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:45 pm

(OOC: Double post. Don't ask me how it happened.)

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=whitewerefox>WhiteWerefox</A] at: 8/7/03 6:49 pm

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:14 am

Eathan strided up to the encampment after a little bit. He stayed silent as he signalled the guard and joined everyone at the campfire. He sat there listening for a few minutes, just drinking in the group's talk, their tall tales, and especialy the of the sword and the islands they would be traveling to. He kept the book he'd been given in his lap, while the stones, he left securely in his breast pocket.

He had a feeling that waiting to tell them, would be a bad thing. So, he pulled his knees up a bit, and leaned on them, still with the book in his lap. The he said the first thing that they could really understand.

"So, what's there to eat?" he asked, loudly and plainly enough for everyone to hear.

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:50 pm

Most of the caravan looked in his direction; most hadn't heard him speak at all. Those who had heard his previous words wore a look of mild surprise. The captain just rolled his eyes. "NOW he speaks sense... I suppose he wants a medal! well, give the boy some grub at least."

A crude metal plate was pushed in front of him; It was filled with what looked like purple scrambled eggs, mixed with mushrooms and cheese; there was a helping of green rice next to it. It smelled delicious; especialy after an entire day of going hungry.

He realized the one handing it to him was the caravan driver who had shown him the stones. He was smiling. "Looks like you have some reading to do."

SRGPI

Unread postby SRGPI » Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:55 pm

The dark man in the corner noticed Eathan walk back onto the camp. He also noticed the book that Eathan had on his lap. More questions began racing through his mind.

What kind of book is that? Perhaps it's another spellcrafting book. But I thought he wasn't specialized in casting spells? Perhaps that girl gave it to him. No matter. We'll all see it's abilities in due time.

His eyes turn back to his robe and he started sleeping again.

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:46 am

"It seems I do," Eathan said, as he began hungrily devouring the food. "She told me some interesting things. But she also gave some incredible things to work with. As odd as it may sound, I may be able to reawaken the power my ancestors once touched, but it's gonna take quite a bit of study. She told me quite a few things... It looks like we're in for a major journey. She told me some things about this sword we're looking for, but she didn't tell me a whole lot. I'm thinking we're gonna be having a lot of discussions ahead of us."

Eathan finished his meal, as if he'd been a vacuum cleaner. This was really good. Thank you." He was about to lean back and start studying his book, when it hit him. "Oh... My name is Eathan Drake. You can just call me Eathan, if you like."

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:13 am

Everyone around the fire nodded, and lifted their mugs in response to the introduction. The conversation continued; little more than gossip and idle talk. Shortly, Eathan's understanding began to fade, and the language abruptly returned to unrecognizable sound. His magical workings seemed to have a very limited duration.

By now, people were returning to the caravans, while others set out bedrolls and planted simple lean-to covers. Eathan was led to a hammock in the same wagon that housed all his posessions. The teamster for the lizards held his runes as he prepared the beasts for the night. he managed to find the cloaked man, shouded as darkly as ever with the setting of the sun.

He seemed to consider a moment before speaking. "Did you see the woman in white? The one who follows Karuzhe? I suspect she was the one who provided our little refugee's book. Did you learn anything of her?"

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:50 am

[Eathan will test activating them again. Especially if someone is trying to talk to him. Skill is still a 12. And just how long did those Runes remain active?]

Eathan was unrolling his sleeping bag into the hamock, when the unintelligable questions came. He didn't kow if the things' batteries needed recharging, or whether he could even reactivate them at all. He just tried it, taking all three runes from his coat jacket.

Edited by: Talon Starblade&nbsp; Image at: 8/13/03 7:08 pm

SRGPI

Unread postby SRGPI » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:36 am

The dark man shuffled for a bit within his robes, and responded.

"I noticed her in the background, but I do not remember anything distinguishing about her. It's be better if you asked our friend that had a little chat with her. Perhaps that book allows him to speak our tongue."

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:22 pm

Eathan managed to activate the runes, but there seemed to be a slight resistance this time, and he barely suceeded this time.
[Eathan: Roll 11 of 12-1 = sucess]

The teamster nodded, and turned back to Eathan. "Would you sit with me while I keep guard? I'm interested to know what you and that pale girl talked about... none of us can figure her out, is all." He headed for the front of the caravan.

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:33 pm

Eathan follows, bringing his book with him. Not knowing what information might prove useful, he recounts the entire encounter, taking special care in his acounting about HER previous possession of the blade, and her experiences with it. All the while, doing his best to keep the spell from the runes working. He also continued looking through the book, as best he could.

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:17 pm

The man listened intently. When Eathan finished his story, the man lit up a strange-looking pipe, and pondered.

He pointed at the book. "I can't say that I trust her myself... she's been known to break her alliances when it suits her whim, but none of us can really say she's dangerous at all." He leaned over and looked at the book. "Those runes she gave you... did they look anything like those markings on the binding?" Only now that he had pointed them out did Eathan notice them; they were exactly the same.

"Seems to be a permenant enchantment of some sort..."

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:33 am

"Yeah, it is," Eathan acknowledged. "A book that helps the reader to understand it. My kind of tutorial manual. I definately have a lot of studying to do, ahead of me. But I think it's gonna be worth it. I've got a lot to learn. How long do you think we may be traveling, just to get there anyway?"

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:46 pm

The man shrugged casually. "Oh, perhaps a week to the port city. Then, I'd guess about four to six months at sea there, and again back. Depending on where the island is."

One of the other guards stood by the caravan, and knocked on the seat for attention. The mage driver nodded, got up, and stretched. "My shifts over; I guess that's enough talk for tonight. You should head to your bunk; we have a long day ahead." He headed back.

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:40 pm

Eathan headed back to his hammock, slid into his sleeping bag, but found himself far too jacked to actually sleep. So he read. At some point, he wasn't sure when, he fell asleep with the book laying across his chest.

SRGPI

Unread postby SRGPI » Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:30 pm

The dark man slept in the corner for a long time. It appeared that he was hibernating; he never moved, even one muscle. Although most of his body was shrouded by his cloak, not a ripple from the cloak appeared. The dark man slept for the week that he had to wait.

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:36 pm

Nobody seemed eager to disturb the Cloaked man, and he was left almost entirely to himself. Eathan's rest was not quite so uninterrupted... the movement of the caravan immediately woke him. Seeing as there wasn't much for him to do, his time was his own.

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:55 pm

Eathan woke up alright. It was nice that his hammock was INSIDE one of the cars. Turning his lantern off, he set it securely, where the solar panels could get a good charge for the thing's batteries.

In any case, he had some life adjusting to make... for one thing, you couldn't easily get a shower or bath, especially while on the road. The grundgy feeling that was already starting to overtake him, was only gonna get worse. That knowledge spurred him on, to study even harder, for the possibility to awaken his ancestors runes. He just hoped he could last that long.

[Intense study of the book. He's gonna work on increasing his understanding of the rune, and what ever the book will teach him.]

You Fear Me

meanwhile...

Unread postby You Fear Me » Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:15 pm

Deep in the bowels of the ship, another passenger awakes from his slumber. Known as Garland, his long bow is strapped to the back of his cloak, and his ample supply of throwing knives waited at his belt.
"Huh? Where am I? And where's my money!" He looked into his pouch.
"If I find that gang of muggers, I will KILL them!"
Hungry, alone, and unsure of his whereabouts, Garland looks around cautiously.

Mechanisto

Re: meanwhile...

Unread postby Mechanisto » Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:06 pm

(OOC: Ahem... Reckless leaping into RPs, without consulting the GM, or even posting in the OOC/Recruiting thread, may not get you very far. In fact, people will probably just ignore and hate you.

I STRONGLY suggest you read this:
http://pub30.ezboard.com/frpgww60462frm ... =156.topic

Then, if your still interested, post something here:
http://pub30.ezboard.com/frpgww60462frm ... 1070.topic

Thanks!)

Next

Return to Other RPs