Quiet Obedience: Quest of the Star Blade

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
WhiteWerefox

Re: Disembarking

Unread postby WhiteWerefox » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:59 pm

"I herd about those friends of yours. Scary lot." Dalis said, and started checking thorugh her satchel. "Thanks for the hospitality, but there's plenty other holes to hide in on the boat."

"I'm hoping I might do some busking while were ashore. Maybe I'll be able to find a fiddle to replace the one I lost in the Triton attack."

Talon Starblade

Re: Re: Disembarking

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:46 pm

"No worries... I just felt I had to offer. Sorry to hear about the fiddle though. I hope you find what you're looking for. 'Tritons...' That actually works pretty well. Well, I'm just glad you're safe."

WhiteWerefox

Disembarking.

Unread postby WhiteWerefox » Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:35 pm

Dalis nodded. "Sifer was worried about them when we came through this way before... they were never a problem though."

The sailors called the all clear, and started rowing to shore.

"I still have my flute... not as good for tavern playing, but it should be good enough for street work. I'll have to play up the small and helpless card."

Talon Starblade

Re: Disembarking.

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:45 pm

"It's hard to see you as 'small and helpless...' Especially when you smile." Eathan's own smile was a dead give a way, that he was teasing her a little. But oddly enough, there was a hint of sincerity.

WhiteWerefox

Yes, she's armed.

Unread postby WhiteWerefox » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:44 pm

Dalis shrunk, cringed, and stared Ethan with volumnous eyes. She did indeed play the part well, but Ethan wondered how much of it was play. Her physique was meager, lacking in height, power and solidity. Her hands fidgeted natrualy, and her eyes flicked about with a nervous tick.

Before Ethan could comment, she drew a pair of daggers from the inside of her vest with a snap of the wrist. He'd forgotten they were even there, and their abrupt appearance was startling. "Actually, the small, cute, and helples part comes naturaly. Strenght I had to learn."

She sheathed them more casually than she'd drawn them, and straightened her vest. "You could stand to learn a little about strength yourself."

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=whitewerefox>WhiteWerefox</A] at: 10/30/03 9:47 pm

Talon Starblade

Re: Yes, she's armed.

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:26 pm

Eathan resettled himself. It WAS quite impressive, the difference she could make in herself. But strength... she was right about that. He'd felt a shard of it within himself of the last few months, and especially within the last couple of hours. But, it wasn't anything he could really rely on.

Hell, thinking back on the battle, he began to think he must have been out of his mind, to try and engage the Tritons. With what a SINGLE strike had done to the Cloaked one, a seasoned warrior, he would have likely been smashed clean through.

Eathan was silent for the rest of the trip ashore. He'd put up a strong face, when he dealt with Ironlung before... But the little white mouse apparently saw through him like clear glass. And part of him was afraid that he might not find it, when he would need it.

Mechanisto

Re: Yes, she's armed.

Unread postby Mechanisto » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:03 pm

After a few minutes of rowing through the choppy water, the convoy of three landing boats finally reached the shore. Four crewmen jumped out as the boat cut sand, and pushed the craft two or three meters further. Everyone disembarked, walking through the knee deep waters towards dry land. The group split into three parts; Vesper and a few soldiers stayed to guard the boats. Meredith and two of her men headed north; (Eathan could have sworn she'd given him a wink as she left). Everyone else began heading for a nearby dirt road, preparing to trek south for the village.

Vesper gestured at Eathan, and nodded towards the waters. "We can wait for our watery friend here... I expect he'll distrust you less than any of us."

WhiteWerefox

To town!

Unread postby WhiteWerefox » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:11 pm

Dalis' bare toes sank into the wet sand when she lept out of the boat. "I'm going to town, Ethan. I'll catch up to you later." She said,and sped off. In one hand was her flute, the other holding onto the short cloak around her shoulders.

Talon Starblade

Re: To town!

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:39 pm

Eathan definately had a problem interpretting signals from women... And not just from his lack of experience. He nodded at Vespers suggestion, something he'd already counted on, especially since he figured that the magic of the runes would have worn off by then.

He made his way to the edge a short distance from the landing boats, and waited for Ironlung.

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:12 am

The cloaked man sat in his room, meditating as soundly as a stone. For perhaps an hour, he remained undisturbed by the crew. His meditation, however, was not entirely serene... for the last month or so, his sleep had become less and less even. Strange dreams had come to him; dreams of fire, pain, and hate... but this was the first time such thoughts had penetrated his concentration while awake... as before, they had no substance or pattern. Simply the impression of suffering.

A knock at the door wrenched his attention. He heard the ship's healer on the other side. "Hello? We've just finished tending to the rest of the crew, and we have some time to spare... I figured you might need some healing yourself."

---

Eathan was waiting by the water for some time, perhaps even an hour; the time passed slowly. When Ironlung did arrive, it was with almost no warning; Eathan only noticed the water ripple after he'd reached the shallower waters. It was obvious that even in two feet of water, Ironlung could swim with alarming speed.

He eventaully arched upright, slithering through the surf with near-absolute silence. The guards waiting by the boat had readied their weapons, but took no hostile action. Eathan readied his runes, and cast the translation magic on Ironlung, rather than himself.

[Eathan Rune roll: 11 of 12 = Sucess]

Ironlung's voice was as deep and bubbly as ever. "I bring little good news... my clan does not believe your words, and will offer no help. They see no difference between you and the other land-dwellers; they do not wish to risk aiding their attackers. They will continue their seige of the island, until our priest is returned."

By now vesper had approached. "I mean no offence... but can your people really last long against our soldiery? The military will hear of this soon enough..."

Ironlung shook his head, slowly. "If our numbers dwindle, my people will call out to the other clans... the deepwater clans. They will soon gather many hundreds of empty-space-breathers, and can then march against the island itself. In the water, our numbers will seem almost without limit."

Vesper chewed his pipe a bit, and spoke in a hushed tone. "That's not good news at all."

"They allowed me to return, and allowed me to volunteer my aid. If you still wish to help us, and if you have a chance of victory, I will see you through."

SRGPI

Unread postby SRGPI » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:38 am

The cloaked man rose from his bed, trying to imagine what those images of suffering were about, but he decided that it would be answered in due time.

"I'll come along then...I'm still feeling a bit dizzy from that experience."

He opened the door to his cabin, and followed the ship's healer to wherever they went.

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:11 pm

"A chance, is all I can realy hope to ask for. Thank you. Right now, part of our landing party has headed out, examine the cove you mentioned, and see what they can discern. For our end, I was hoping we could gather some information from the people, and maybe talk with whoever's in charge, and get them understanding that now would be a good time to discuss more 'functional' methods of cohabitation. It may see a little dishonorable at times, but a little 'gun-boat' diplomacy, can sometimes work wonders."

Eathan had quieting down for a moment, as he looked to the town. For the first time, he was questioning the idea of bringing one of them in with him, but that had been the bargain he'd made. With a sigh, he turned to Vesper. "Any suggestions where we should start first, or should we just walk in, and get the panic started early?"

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:21 am

(ooc: working my job again.)

Vesper gave Eathan a somewhat blank look. "You seriously intend to take
Ironlung into the city?"

"Unless you got a better suggestion. My thinking is that these people may not willingly be very forthcoming. I figure if we can't get it straight, intimidate. And I think he's likely better at it than I am. Besides, I wanna see if there's some way of helping Ironlung and his people a bit more."

Vesper sighed. "You don't think we'd better scout ahead, talk amongst the townsfolk, and figure out what's happening? If they see Ironlung with us, they'll probably come at us with pitchforks and torches. I don’t see any need to intimidate people who aren’t our enemies. And we will need to get repairs and supplies after all this is done."

"I didn't have him waste his time coming here, only to have him sit on his tail, and wait for us to come back with anything. I told him I'd bring someone along, so they'd have a reason better than just my word to trust us on."

Vesper sighed again, this time with a resigned air. "Very well... we may as well get moving then."

Eathan nodded. "Put on your best face, Ironlung. This could get rough." Eathan started walking, trying to put his own self confidence fully into check. "Any bets how fast we get a constable?"

Vesper eyed Eathan. He then looked up at Ironlung; he opened his mouth slightly, showing several rows of tightly packed, needle-teeth. He was wearing the exact same almost-grin as always. Vesper shook his head. "...very fast."

They started the long walk to the city, following the same path that Dalis had. After some time, they approached the city's main entrance. It wasn't a walled city, but the main road still had a pair of guardposts. Even at the furthest visible range, they could see activity.

Vesper sighed again. "No turning back now..."

" I didn't expect there to be," Eathna answered back. Then he turned to Ironlung. "How good's your eyesight out of water?"

Ironlung shook his head, sending a shiver down his mane of fins. "Not as good as you. Perhaps half as good, and half as far."

"Damn, I was hoping you were able to spot if they've got their crossbows cocked and locked. Assuming those guards got Crossbows, how far would be safe distance, for sending a person to announce us as 'Not Hostile?'"

Vesper frowned, but didn't slow his pace. "Well... we're just eight people at the moment. We're not much of a threat at all for their military... and they probably only lost to Ironlung's people because they couldn't fight underwater..." Vesper glanced at Ironlung. "...did they use crossbows during the battle for the port?"

Ironlung's grin might have grown slightly at the mention. "Real soldiers do not throw knitting needles... they are of little consequence. To me, at least."

"Well then, I guess we just need to smile, and act friendly." Eathan smiled. Then he sped up a few paces ahead of the group. Curtain he was within earshot, he waved his empty weapon hand, and hailed the guards. "Hail there!"

The guards obviously had regular longbows at the ready. A gruff voice called back. "Would you care to give us a reason not to pepper you with steel? Seeing as how your collaborating with the same demons that blasted our docks to splinters?"

Eathan stood as strong as he could. "Actually, that's why we're here to talk. They're under the impression your people have their Priest. We seek entry so that we may help resolve this, without the need for further blood shed. We wish to enter peacefully, that includes our water borne friend. May we pass?"

There was a moment of silence before the man responded. "You expect me to believe that ridiculous crock of lies!? Go back where you came from!"

Ironlung shook a clawed fist in the guard's general direction. His deep voice boomed far more loudly than the guards. "YOU HAVE BROUGHT THIS ON YOURSELVES, LAND DWELLERS! NONE SHALL COME OR GO FROM THIS PLACE UNTILL HE IS RETURNED TO US!"

Buzya clapped hands over her ears, and vesper patted the side of his head lightly. The city guards were obviously extremely surprised. They could hear muted arguments from the guard's post.

The guards voice responded. "The beast speaks? What sort of trick is this!?"

Ironlung shouted again. "Dry up!" Although the words were innocent enough in common, the translation magic clearly gave it the offensive edge that any four-letter word carried...

"ENOUGH!!!" Eathan yelled out loud enough to startle everyone present. "There will be more than enough time for insults later. Either let us in, or fetch me someone who can do it FOR you!"

There was another long pause. Eventually, the guard spoke, this time keeping his anger slightly in check. "I don't think anybody will take kindly to your fishy friend there... but even if we would, I don't know what your talking about. We never kidnaped anyone."

"And how are the Tritons to know this. They don't trust humans worth spit, and they're barely willing to even trust me. Right not now, they've got your island completely blockaded. So unless this is resolved, it will only get worse. Or perhaps I should talk with your commander, since you're about to make a decision that will effect every man, woman and child on this island."

"I've had enough of this... we know those snakes had help from humans, and your obviously in league with them. I don't know what profit you have in this, but you won't get it from this city!"

Vesper whispered to Eathan. "...they had human help? Seems unlikely..."

"No joke there. Suggestions?"

Vesper cleared his throat and addressed the guard. "I can definitely disprove the theory that we helped the tritons to besiege your city... they dealt a crippling blow to our own ship, and attacked our crew. The only reason we're here is that we fought them off, captured one as a prisoner, and managed to translate their tongue through some rather unorthodox magic. Why would they cripple our ship if we were their allies? And if we were conspiring to plunder your city, why would we come in peace?"

There was another long silence. The guard's response was grudging, at best. "Very well... you may enter the city. But your going straight to our military commander. He'll straighten this catastrophe out."

Vesper looked at Eathan, then at Ironlung. "Sound good to you two?"

"Reasonable enough."

Ironlung nodded silently. Vesper shouted an agreement, and the guards approached. They made their way slowly into the city, surrounded by a ring of nervous, armed soldiers.

SRGPI

Unread postby SRGPI » Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:50 pm

(OOC: Talon ain't the only one editing at least :))

The healer led the cloaked man to the ship's healing room, the same one he'd seen before. Two of the other nurses were there, chanting quietly.

“I figured we could spare the good stuff for you, considering how you risked yourself for us. Magic won't be a problem, I hope?"

The cloaked man nodded, as he sat down upon a bench. "There is no problem to it...my major wounds are sealed already. I just have this annoying headache..."
[Medic spell roll: 11 of 16 = success]
The nurses worked their magic the instant he gave the go-ahead. The lingering pain and fatigue of his wounds quickly washed away.
[Spell effect: 22 Points healed]

The cloaked man jumped as he was healed, and thought for a few minutes. "Well, that did the job."

The healer smiled. "Always best to have it done absolutely correct the first time. Is the headache gone now?"

The cloaked man cocked his head back and forth, testing his head. "Quite gone. Fantastic job."

The healer smiled. "Very good then. We'll be sending another boat out in a while, so you can still go ashore if you like."

The cloaked man nodded. "You have my gratitude. I'll be going out in the next boat then...unless the captain calls me for other duties on the boat."

"You’re too kind." She shrugged. "There won't be much to do, till we get the docks working again. Go on then."

She offered him a short bow, and resumed her usual duties.

The cloaked man returned her bow, and promptly left, waiting on the deck for the boat to be ready.

He didn't have to wait long; three men were already preparing a boat, stacked with water-sealed crates, bound for the city's bazaar. They gestured for him to hop aboard.

The cloaked man stepped aboard, and sat down, crosslegged.

The boat lowered to the water, and the crew manned the oars. A quarter of an hour later, they were only a stones throw from the beach.

[CM Sense Roll: 7 of 11-2 = Success]

The prow of the boat began cutting sand, and two of the crewmen jumped out and began pushing. before the cloaked man could join thm, he noticed some motion on land. Something seemed to be moving through the forested region just beyond the beach... It was too dark to see, but there was definitely something there.

The cloaked man shifted his head towards the area in which he saw something move, and tried to concentrate to see if he could see it again, and if possible, discern what it is.
[CM Sense Roll: 10 of 11 = Success]

The movement was sporadic; like something sneaking carefully between hiding spots... he also doubted they were animals. After a moment, the motion stopped completely; either the entities had left, or were completely hidden. By now, the boat was ashore, next to the three others that everyone else had used. The sailors on guard quickly helped to unload the cargo. One of them nodded to the cloaked man. "The city's right down that path; can't miss it. Vesper and the boy took that scaley devil down, about half an hour ago."

The cloaked man nodded back. "Thank you." He glanced back at the trees to see if anything else had happened, but since nothing else had happened, he continued on his way towards the city.

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:11 am

And so, our brave heros marched off towards the port city. They got about four steps before Ironlung let out a sharp roar, and grabbed one of the soldier's spears. The other soldiers immediately backed up several steps, and took hostile positions.

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:20 am

"Ironlung?!" Eathan immediately went into a defensive stance. "What's wrong? What happened?"

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:39 am

Ironlung let out a bubbling snarl. "Ask those thugs... they seem to enjoy poking me with those toy sticks of theirs!"

One of the guards shouted back. "That's the least you deserve, snake!"

Ironlung immediately leaned foreward, and grabbed the spears from four other soldiers; with theguards all pointing them inward, he simply had to sweep his handsto grab two or three in each. Despite the soldiers efforts, he looked like he was taking candy from a baby. "Fools... our young learn to use spear and staff before they can swim unaided. A five-year-old would hold his ground better!"

The rest of the soldiers were obviously only a few seconds away from charging.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=mechanistox>MechanistoX</A]&nbsp; Image at: 11/18/03 11:42 am

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:06 pm

"Good God! I'm trying to stop a war here people. And all you can do is agrivate and provoke him? Is this the extent of your lord's hospitality? We came to talk, not fight."

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:11 pm

the guards had lost a lot of their zeal by now; Ironlung was holding almost a dozen spears, leaving more than half of their numbers unarmed. There was an uneasy silence; nobody actually said anything, but the they hesitantly continued.

--

When they finally reached the city streets, a large number of guards had already congregated to meet them. The guards that had followed rushed back to the city streets, more than glad to be out of Ironlung's immediate viscinity. Eathan was somewhat relieved to notice that the city guard had no archers or crossbowmen (at least none here). On the downside, the guards looked like they could defeat their own group with little trouble, just for sheer numbers.

Vesper took a few steps foreward, and waved a hand in the air. "Yo! We wish to parlay with your captain of the guards! As may be apparent, we have urgent matters to disucss!"

After a few minutes, a particularly tall and well armored guard walked a few steps from the crowd. "What's your business, bringing that beast this close to the city? If your looking to have a bounty paid, we only accept carcases. "

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:19 am

(ooc: God, I love editting.)

Eathan stepped up and looked the man hard in the eye. Secretly, he wished he was taller. "We did not come her for the bounty. we came her to talk. To try and resolve this in a way that will stop blood shed."

The captain of the guards continued walking, until he was only a few feet away. He eyed Eathan, and chewed on something quietly for a moment. "Pardon?"

"A man started this. He used the Tritons' ages old rage against them, and you. He has taken their Priest from them, and they chased him to THIS island. You might even know him... Mage type, gawdy ornate robes, lots of magic jewelry?"

The captain of the guards seemed utterly and completely unimpressed with the group. "We get an awful lot of folks through here... port town and all. Don't know of any particularly obnoxious mages... do you have any proof of this accusation?"

"We have a witness," Eathan said, pointing his thumb toward Ironlung.

The captain slowly stared up at the towering sea creature. He arched an eyebrow, but didnt' seem intimidated in the slightest. Eathan noticed a small handful of others approaching from the far crowd.

The captain looked back at Eathan, skeptically. "Hardly a reliable source of evidence, I'd say..."

"Then maybe you should hear him for yourself."

The captain grunted in amusement. "Oh... and I suppose he speaks plain common, then?"

Ironlung frowned. "Apparently so. The youngling has some talent with witch-craft."

The captain did a double-take; his previously stone-faced countenance had turned to a look of sincere shock. "But... that's impossible...!"

"In a world where Magic thrives,” Eathan said, “nothing is impossible."

Ironlung growled slightly. "It does not matter. Your people have kidnaped our priest. We wish only to have him returned."

The crowd behind had obviously heard Ironlung's low, booming voice; their whispers were even audible from here.

The small group of soldiers had by now reached the captain. Unexpectedly, Ironlung chose that moment to let out a deafening bellow, and leap at one of the soldiers with both hands outstretched. "CURSE YOU, WRETCHED LAND-DWELLER!!"

The rest of the guards immediately charged, and struggled to pull Ironlung away. Eathan noticed that the figure he was grappling with wore a bright red soldier's uniform; he couldn't see much more than that.
"Let him go!" Eathan jumped at the nearest guy holding Ironlung, trying to fast-draw strike to the back of the man's knee.
[Fast draw - 12 of 16= Success.]

At this time, a black figure came upon the scene, and watched Eathan jump for the guard. He shouted, "As if we didn't get enough trouble already, Eathan Drake!" He ran towards the scene.

The guard let out a yelp, and dropped to the ground. The rest of the guards around their group were still putting up plenty of fight, though none of them paid attention to Eathan. The handful of guards that had approached were doing far better then the previous troop of spear men they had earlier encountered; they managed to pull Ironlung back slightly.

Continuing his attack, Eathan does a butt end strike into the guy's face.
[Weapon strike - 17 of 11? = Fumble]

Unfortunately, Ironluing's lengthy tail section chose that moment to sweep forward, and took Eathan's legs completely out from under him, sending him sprawling to the ground. His Bokken went flying a short distance, out of reach.

Eathan struggles to get off the ground, and tries to use his unarmed techniques... What little practical stuff he has. "I said, let him GO!"

Eathan didn't get very far before a thin metal blade placed itself between Ironlung and his chin and his collarbone. The blade hovered threateningly, but did not touch him. On the other end of the blade was the captain of the guards. "Far enough, boy..." he seemed focused on Ironlung.

A sudden pulse of force filled the air, like a noiseless, lightless clap of thunder. Ironlung immediately slumped backward limply, collapsing over several of the guards that had been tryign to pull him back.

The other guards quickly ran to help the soldier dressed in red. The captain eyed Eathan, sheathing his sword. "..perhaps now you can understand my doubt as to the beast's good-will..."

"I gave him my word that I would help him find his priest. And I will do just that." //Where'd that puls come from?// his thoughts asked.

The captain frowned. "And would you kill my guards to do that? Would you kill everyone in the city? I have my priorities too, of course. And they seem to conflict with yours."

Ironlung was moving a little, but looked as though he'd been knocked into a severe daze. His voice was just as watery, but sounded much weaker. "The mage... the soldier... in red... he is the one..."

The captain frowned. "What does it mean, the soldier in red?"

//Dammit! Not good.// "You mean you didn't see him? He was the one Ironlung grabbed. Bright red uniform, ring a bell?"

"...yes, obviously." The captain frowned. "Wait... are you saying my second in command, and the leader of the local branch of hte cult of Ghenkor is the man who kidnaped this beast's leader?"

The cloaked man off to the side took a closer look at the red uniformed man.

Vesper stepped forward. "Well, there's one easy way to settle this... our cloaked friend here got an excellent look at the one we think performed the kidnaping. I'm sure he can settle this once and for all."

He looked closely to examine any similarities between the soldier and Lokemus.

The cloaked man only needed to take a quick look at the soldier. This one's uniform was not nearly so expensive; the outfit was more armor than uniform, and none of it from expensive silks or cottons. Also, while the rings and headband were of similar make and model, they were made of simpler materials. of course, the most obvious factor was impossible to overlook... the solider wasn't Lokemus, because it was a woman.

The cloaked man shook his head. "Make sure it is even a man."

She stood up, slightly dazed, and supported by two of the guards.

The captain marched over, and stared at Ironlung. "You there... beast! Can you tell us what the kidnapper looked like? Was this the person?"

Ironlung seemed a bit confused. "he... wore red... with a chain on his hand. That is definitely him!"

The captain sighed. "Was it a man, or a woman?"

Eathan shook his head. //Oh, why do I have a sinking feeling?//

Ironlung gave him a bit of a blank stare. "I don't know... all humans look the same..." he definitely looked a little more defeated and ashamed than he had a minute ago.

The cloaked man shrugged to Eathan. "If the man we think it is, is the one and same Lokemus, then this is certainly not the person, first of being that this person is a woman."

The captain rolled his eyes, but halted midway. "Wait... who's name was that?" He gave the cloaked man an odd look.

"Lokemus?"

"The man who has a capacity to summon demons...our captain knows him. He leads a cult of battle-mages."

The captain frowned, looking a little taken aback. He eyed the cloaked man, his eyes probing him thoroughly.

"He destroyed the ports of another nearby city just several weeks ago." The cloaked man made sure his eyes did not show any light, but the intense stare that the cloaked man had was still felt.

The woman in the red uniform glanced in their direction. "Lokemus is the leader of the provincial branch of the Ghenkor cult... he's well above me in the chain of command. he... he would never do such a thing!" She frowned. "Who told you this?"

"Ironlung,” Eathan said quickly. “One of the warriors who were defending his Priest when he took him."

"I was there when the ports were destroyed, and I remember the description of the man very well, because I confronted him while he was casting the spell. According to the captain, the only name that fits the description is a man named Lokemus."

She shook her head. "That's... simply unbelievable."

Vesper cleared his throat. "It was definitely him... he wore the ceremonial steel circlet, inset with a single jade stone."

"Much with the same insignias on your wear."

The woman frowned, looking worried. She turned away, and gestured at the captain of the guards. "Escort them to the barracks for further discussion. Escort the creature to a secure jail cell, and see that it is unharmed." She glanced over her shoulder. "That is, if you wish to make sense of all this peacefully..."

The cloaked man glanced at his party. "I'd prefer not having to stain my weapon with blood anymore today..."

The captain eyed him. "Happens to you a lot, does it?"

"Sadly, conflict follows me everywhere."

"We wish to solve this peacefully,” came Eathan’s still young but resolute voice. “But I will join Ironlung in that cell."

The captain arched an eyebrow. "You certainly keep strange bed-company..."

"Boros!" The woman shouted. "Stop pestering our guests, and get back to work."

The captain nodded, and gestured at the guard clustered around Ironlung.

Eathan then offered Ironlung a hand of assistance in getting up.

Though he obviously weighed more than most small vehicles, he had enough strength to support himself; they made slow but steady progress towards the city.

The cloaked man followed.

They progressed through the streets of the city; it wasn't as vast as the coastal port city had been, but it was just as dense and diverse. Though this time around, the population was a little more centered on them than before; most of them were throwing profanities and fruit at Ironlung. The guards did what they could to quell the uproar.

Ironlung seemed to take it completely in stride. They eventually reached the barracks. Vesper, Eathan, Ironlung, and the cloaked man headed for the jail cells, while the rest of their retinue stayed in the front room.

The woman in the red uniform closed the door to Iironlung's cell, but did not lock it. She glanced back at Eathan. "Well then... can you tell me more about what Lokemus is said to have done?"

The cloaked man glanced at Eathan, with a stare that only meant, You know what to say.

The woman seemed t onote the look. it obviously didn't comfort her.

"I'll try." Eathan seemed a little nervous. "I don't remember what they called the port city, but there was a great deal of magic there. I was with another gathering things I would need for the trip, and my magic studies. My cloaked friend came running around a corner, like Hell itself was on his heels. A moment later, it was.

“At first, it was just an expanding fire, but it seemed to move with purpose. It shot further into the sky, where the pillar of flame bulged at its apex, and became a flaming eye.”

[Cloaked Man Will roll: 10 of 11 = Success]
At that moment, the cloaked man felt a strange sensation... like a memory threatening to surface. The concept of a great, flaming eye seemed familiar... as though somethign he'd seen in a dream. He managed to keep his composure... but it was still unsettling.

The cloaked man squinted downward, away from eye contact while this contemplation occurred.

“It kept growing, and finally sprouted legs. The thing was huge. It covered several blocks with each step. We barely got our ship out of the docks...”

"Wait..." the woman looked a little surprised. "...this thing was large enough to encompass the whole city? That's a little hard to believe."

"Believe it,” Eathan shot back. “I can still remember the thing like it was yesterday. I still hear its words ringing in my head, from when it roared.”

She looked solemn for a moment."...what of the port city you fled?"
"We never went back. All we could see from the sea, was it, and flames."

She swallowed, hard. "You mentioned it spoke... was it a threat? A demand? A curse of some kind?"

"The same magic I used to let Ironlung speak with us, at the time, I needed to be understood. Everyone else only heard a roar, and I could only make out a couple of words."

She bit her lip slightly. "Well... do you remember the words?"

"I'll never be able to forget them... They came to me as 'Angcarch Gondhery.' The Magic couldn't or wouldn't translate any further."

The cloaked man suddenly shuddered for a moment at those words. "Were those the words that you told the captain that probably needed translation?"

"Ah, yeah."

The cloaked man was silent for a long time, and looked away, but he said, "Continue."

The woman shook her head. "This makes no sense... even if Lokemus were to follow a path of corruption, and dedicated all of his resources towards summoning a demon..."

The cloaked man interjected. "He's after the sword of the skies."

"What?" Her eyes glared at the cloaked man intensely. "...where did you hear that?"

"Or most likely, from what I could tell from what he told me when I conversed with him. He told me, 'The sky sword must never be touched, it will cast a spell upon any man who sets his eyes upon it's glamour.'"

"And it seems he'll do anything to cover his tracks."

The woman clamped her eyes, then gave them a wide-eyed stare. She carefully took a seat on a nearby bench. "I'm committing too many things to the void of impossibility today..." She took a breath, and tried to compose herself. "Our order is sworn to maintaining a basic balance among magic."

"Our cult uses military discipline and magical training to maintain the political forces in our regions. One of our duties is to hunt down mages who show signs of tyranny or corruption."

The cloaked man looked away. "Then have time to think about it. there's already a party out looking in an area that Ironlung had trailed the man that took their priest. If they find anything conclusive, they will start looking for us. If they don't find anything, then if Ironlung is correct here, then the priest is hidden amongst the populace."

She shook her head. "...if Lokemus truly is behind this, I do not doubt that he believes he is justified... I suppose if any of our acolytes would do this deed, he would be the most likely... I doubt the priest is in the city; surely Lokemus would have called on my loyalty to aid him."

"Well, the final answer will come when the party that's out contacts our captain."

She nodded. "Well. I suppose that means we can keep your guest here safe. Ironlung, was it?"

Ironlung let out a low, rumbling gurgle, but no words followed.

The cloaked man glanced at Eathan. "Still have those translation runes?"

"I didn't want to announce them, but yes I do."

She eyed Eathan. "Are these the same ones that eavesdropped on the demon?"

"Yes." Eathan reached into his back and took hold of the Runes, without revealing them. Then, he chanted the activation.
[Activate Runes - 9 of 11 = Success]

Ironlung seemed to shiver slightly. "I'll never get used to that... and I seem to be speaking your tongue again."

"Yes, you are. How much of our conversation did you get?"

The woman flinched slightly. "Your name... it's Ironlung, right?"

"My name is not for you. Ironlung is my title." Ironlung turned back to Eathan. "Nothing. you returned to your gibberish-speak before we reached the gaol."

"I was telling her of what Lokemus did to the port city we left. I haven't yet told her exactly what he'd done to your people when he took your priest."

Ironlung's lips immediately pulled back into a snarl, exposing a densely packed row of lengthy, needle-sharp teeth. "The man in red attacked our clan; he attacked our pod Gava whales with strange magic. Our priest approached to do battle, as he is our only defense against witchcraft."

He shook his head sorrowfully. "He was defeated easily... and when we went to his rescue, the man in red launched a strange, grey cloud at us. We barely fled with our lives... not all escaped. We later followed the cloud trail to the island; it led to a deep cove, but we could not approach. We have laid siege to your island ever since."

Vesper spoke up. "They seem to be quite effective at conventional naval warfare... they nearly capsized our own vessel. And we're more heavily armored than most military hulls. It's my professional opinion that any protracted military battle with them would be extremely long and costly, with no clear victory."

The woman sighed, looking rather distressed. "Well then. This sounds rather disastrous."

"His people have been pushed farther and farther into the sea for generations... By humans. Unless he's got some other motives for taking the priest, he did it to take advantage of that long seeded hatred.”

"I absolutely refuse the notion that Lokemus even has the capability to summon such a gargantuan demon, nor would he have the inclination to do so if he could..." She sighed. "But to manipulate one faction against another... Well, I am forced to admit... it is the preferred method our cult employs to affect change in the world."

"Lokemus has triggered many skirmishes, and perhaps even a few wars... but please understand; he has stopped just as many, if not more. He has defused entire civil revolutions, using the same methods we now suffer. To him, starting a war is a means to an end... and I have no doubt whatsoever that his control over the situation is total."

"Not over me. I promised I'd help Ironlung and his people, and I will."

The cloaked man sat cross legged in a corner of the cell, and just observed the conversation, not talking one bit.

"Tell me... how can you hope to thwart his plans? None know the art of manipulation and misdirection as well as he."

Ironlung coughed a bit. "You land dwellers... this is commonplace for you?"

“All too commonplace I'm afraid, my friend." Kevin uttered, bowing his head in sorrow and shame.

The woman in red sighed. "There's just one more think I need to know..."

"That being?

"...the sword you mentioned. Is there anything else known about it?"

The cloaked man quietly sat in his corner, but then piped in. "Have you heard of a man named Karuzhe?"

Eathan looked the others for his lead, but had not expected the direction it just went.

She frowned, and rubbed her chin. "Rather successful leader of a band of thieves, if I recall corectly... has a penchant for collecting magical relics and bric-a-brac. Why?"

"He has set a challenge. The challenge includes obtaining the sky sword."

She eyed the cloaked man for a moment. She then let out an exasperated sigh, and leaned her head back against the wall with a thud. "Damn stubborn fool... Our order has warned him two times not to pursue this sword. it's an exceptionally dangerous item; to the wielder, and the world alike... If Lokemus believes he truly has the means to aquire it, he'll do anything in his power to stop him."
"Wait... you aren't searching for it yourselves, are you?"

"If such is true, then it is also probable that he destroyed all the ports in the area to stop any sort of transportation. And to answer you, yes."

"Fate kind of landed me with them. I'm not even from this world."

The woman nodded at Eathan. "You don't exactly look like your from around here... Anyways. I'll see to it that Ironlung is cared for properly. In the meantime, I doubt your foil Lokemus' plans, but your welcome to try. If we eventually do get the docks fixed, we'll be more than happy to repair your ship."

"There is something else, if you have the time?"

She nodded. "Go on."

"Ironlung's people have been forced further away from Ancestral waters for ages, and the only communications they ever got was, 'Leave or die.' They're not monsters, and they deserve a lot better than they've been getting."

She arched an eyebrow, quizzically. "And what do you expect me to do about this?"

"Your people appear to be good at starting and stopping things, maybe they can negotiate something to keep this from happening again?

She bit her lip, and glanced at Ironlung. he was obviously exerting every iota of self-restraint he had by keeping silent.

“They've been biting back their rage for ages. Sooner or later, something would likely make them snap.”

She turned toface him directly. "Ironlung... you have seen how divisive and self-serving our race can be... our selfish bickering is our greatest weakness by far... It gives me great pain to say this, but... my order can only influence those who are constrained by the law. The people who seek to exterminate your kind do not fish for food... they fish for rare creatures, and expensive items for sale. They are poachers; criminals."

"Your people occupy some of the richest, most magically dense waters along the coast; the demand for their treasures is tremendous. I couldn't stop it if I had a hundred military ships."

Ironlung looked as though she'd just tortured his childred to death. "...what... are you... saying?"

She looked him straight in the eye. "I think we can protect your people from our criminals. But it will take rather a lot of co-operation between us. it will also take time, and dedication."

Ironlung looked considerably placated, and nodded heavily. "I think we can do this thing. But yes; it will take time. ...though you will first have to return our priest to us. None of us will trust you without him safe."

"That's the next thing on the list, my friend."

The woman nodded. "Seems like we don't have a choice then... we'll get organized as soon as possible. In the meantime, I can offer you all food and lodging for the time being. If any of you want to stay with Ironlung, your free to do so."

"I will," Eathan said.

She glanced at the cloaked man, expectantly.

The cloaked man rose. "I have to go contact that other party, to find out if they have found anything conclusive. I'll report my findings to the captain, and forward the information."

"Right."

"As you wish. If there's anything we can provide, don't hesitate to ask. I trust you won't have any problems with me contacting the rest of my order? I'll naturally be as discreet as possible about Lokemus's possible activities, as well as your identities."

The cloaked man shrugged. "It matters not. You know not my name, and it need not be disclosed as of right now. I don't know your name either, so that makes us even."

She pursed her lips slightly. "Adleobahn." She bowed slightly, and left the room.

The cloaked man then nodded as she left, and he turned to Eathan. "I'll see what I can do with...Meredith, I think the woman's name was? If they come upon any trouble, I'll notify you."

"Thanks. I'll be here."

He nodded to Eathan, went through the door, and left the cell.

SRGPI

Unread postby SRGPI » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:54 pm

The cloaked man quickly left the city, and traveled to the cove that Meredith was searching for the presumed presence of Lokemus.

Mechanisto

To Painful Doom!

Unread postby Mechanisto » Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:07 pm

((OOC: Argh. Massive big long delay of major sucktitude. Hopefully over. No more procrastination for me! I just hope everyone is still interested.

On another sad note, my IM refuses to allow me entry to any chatrooms, so any IM RPing will be limited to 1 on 1. For the forseeable future, at any rate.))

He got as far as the outskirts of the city; he noticed the captain of the guards at the entrance, along with several armed soldiers. While none of them barred his way, or moved to stop him, the captain approached him as he neared the gate. "Mind stating your business? Just for the records, of course..."

The cloaked man turned his head. "I'm heading out back to the ship, and to a nearby cove. Telling my captain about the situation over here, and checking on a party that was sent out earlier to scout the said cove for the priest if he is on this island."

The captain seemed at quite a loss for words, and stared at him for a moment. "And your heading for this cove... why, exactly?"

"According to fish man, they trailed the man who took their priest to the cove, before they were stopped."

The captain paused, chewing his lip thoughtfuly, and looked out along the beach. "It's rather a bit dangerous out there, lately... especially alone."

The cloaked man looked around. "It matters not... I've seen worse. And I'll be able to flee if need be. The cove isn't that far away from the port that the ship's crew is debarking off by small boat at."

The captain began walking alongside him, but motioned for his men to stay behind. "...you can't seriously expect me to believe you wish to help that sea monster... his kind know nothing but strife. They'd wash this city from the island if they could... and you wish to assist them? What possible motives coudl you have for such folly?"

The cloaked man shrugged. "Two bads do not create a peace... the place where I come from demonstrates that. One side must give an extended hand when the other is in need, in order for a peace to occur... or both shall suffer for an endless time until both are extinct. I do not wish for the extinction of other races, be it primal or civilized."

The captain gave him a long, hard look. "You'll pardon me for focusing on the survival of our own race. I have a city to protect." He stared back out at the ocean. "What of this man you hunt? Did he commit some crime against you in the past?"

The cloaked man shook his head. "I understand... duty comes first to those who have a home." Then he looked upon the captain. "Lokemus has not commited any crimes directly...he is meerly trying to halt me in my quest to relieve someone's past from haunting them anymore in their life."

The captain gave him another hard look. "I do not know him myself, but Lokemus Lohengrin is a wise and just man to most I've talked to... if rumors are to be believed. Do you not even consider the possability that he is right? Whatever it is he wishes to stop you from doing... he wouldn't do it without a very good reason."

The cloaked man looked back at the sea. "He may be right...and he may be not. But I can't turn my back on those who are in need. Even if it kills me."

----------

The captain snorted slightly in disdain. "...I save my respect for those who have the courage to live in such a dark world. If you wish to get yourself killed chasing after everybody's troubles, none will mourn you."

He gave him a curious look. "...is there anyone who would mourn your death? Do you have a family? Or even a home?"

The cloaked man shook his head. "I have wandered the lands for the past twenty years...nobody would mourn my death. But I care not. If I can make a person's life at ease in this cruel world, then I shall strive to complete such a goal."

The captain frowned. "Would you kill anyone in your way? Would you cause pain to heal another? Such simple thinking will be your end."

"People are surrounded by danger on all sides... surrounded by pain and suffering. Nothing will truly be healed untill the source of this pain and suffering is removed."

The captain seemed unimpressed. "... the only way to truly lift suffering is to change the way people think. And you cannot do that with a sword."

[CM IQ roll: 13 of 11 = failure]

For some reason, something about the captain's tone had changed... he obviously had some passion for the topic. The cloaked man nodded. "Also true...but if a person's purpose is to bring pain onto others for their own gains, I cannot stand and watch while such a vile act is committed. My sword is only a last resort...I need not the sharp side of it in order to help."

The captain stared at him for a time. "...are you such a good judge of character? Can you see the hidden mercy in an action seeming evil?" He closed his eyes. "Once you decide that causing pain to further your goals is acceptable, all that's left is to haggle over how much pain to cause."

[CM IQ roll: 8 of 11 = sucess]

The cloaked man noticed a tiny bit of motion and sound off to one side, from the foliage. The captain gave out a genuine sounding sigh. "I'd hoped it wouldn't come to this... but it's obvious that you cannot be trusted with this quest."

The cloaked man turned, keeping his hand on his blade's hilt. "What do you mean?"

The captain stopped walking. "Not everyone can see their own weakness. Not everyone understands how easy it is to fall into temptation. To commit an evil act in the name of good is worse than the evil you commit... it demeans and insults the very concept of good in the process." The captain seemed to stand a little straighter now; his stance a little more poised. Somethign about him seemed strangely familiar... "I was not suyggesting the outcome of your quest... I was dictating it. If you continue, you will become corrupted. There is no doubt in the matter."

At this point, the rustling from the trees was more pronounced, and no effort of stealth remained. The cloaked man felt a slight shiver of coldness as strange figures emerged from the trees... they were roughly humanoid, with arms and legs, and were roughly the size of men... but they werte composed entirely of wood, with gnarled roots for fingers, and moss-choked bark for skin.

The cloaked man looked around. "Treants? Or golems?" Their nature soon became obvious; they were animated plants, but stinking of decay and feoter. They posessed none of the qualities of a healthy organism. They were somehow undead, or corrupted.

The captain nodded slightly. "In a manner of speaking... their bodies more closely resemble mold or fungus, rather than oak or pine... their spirits are nothing you would consider sacred. Indeed, they are more automatons than entities." The captain shrugged, and rubbed his hand. "You can try to fight your way to safety... but if you come along quietly, I can assure your safety."

The cloaked man turned his head towards the captain. "And what will you do if I submit?" The cloaked man readied to draw his sword at a moment's notice.

The captain rubbed his chin, thoughtfully. "Well firstly, I can promise you the same hospitality i would offer to any guest... you will be cared for, fed and clothed, and will not be brought to harm. You will, however, be imprisoned for some time... perhaps a month at the absolute longest, though a week is more likely."

The cloaked man shook his head. "Rather I should die then, then be held back from helping someone I have committed to help." He drew his sword then. "Do you really need the extra help?" He glanced around to count the number of the automatons; there were too many to number precisely, with more emerging from the forest as he watched.

The captain shrugged. "If I leave it to them, it's more likely to be a non-lethal struggle. Though if you'd like to try your luck with me..." He spread his hands, invitingly.

The cloaked man flipped his saber so that the flat and blunt side of the sword is facing the captain. "If you will not move, even if I am forced to slay your automatons, then I must to proceed, and to minimize the amount of violence I will have to use."

The captain seemed to give him an almost pleading look. "Please... you stand at a crossroads I passed a long time ago. No peaceful end can justify violence... will you not see reason?" For some reason, he knew the sentiment was genuine; this was no lie or trick.

The cloaked man nodded. "I see your order's care for the matters of the world, but the world was not created alone for reason. There are times when emotions must guide the future, in order for man to grow. Eventually, I realize opinions will conflict, and I admit that people are allowed their own opinion when it comes to a debate. However, if somebody is continually set to struggle through his life whether be it from a physical disorder or a mental disorder when everybody else is ahead of him, there is no reason for such people to be forced to stay in a life where he can only see bleakness in his future."

The cloaked man sighed. "In this case, I care not for obtaining the sword for Karuzhe. I care for ending someone's suffering. If I can achieve it with obtaining the sword, I will. If I can achieve it with destroying the sword, I will."

The captain's eyes hardened; he noticed that his eyes had turned from hazel to green. "You would be willing to use the sword, even knowing it would corrupt you... that is a shortsighted weakness I cannot allow to exist." He nodded in a different direction, and the sound of rustling leaves filled the air. The mutant ents had surrounded them completely, and closed in at a frightening pace.

SRGPI

Re: To Painful Doom!

Unread postby SRGPI » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:22 pm

The dark cloaked man heard the rustling of branches, the creaking of rotten, mold-choked wood all around. The 'captain' simply stood there, waiting as the things closed in. He seemed unconcerned.

The cloaked man glanced around, gripping the hilt of his saber.
"Not a friendly few, but a horde, I assume? What do you say we finish things the simpler way then?" He unsheathed his saber. "A duel until either of us is knocked out."

His opponent rolled his eyes ever so slightly, with a sigh. "Don't be silly... I'm just here to keep an eye on things. The last time I left someone in a deathtrap unsupervised, he eloped with my daughter a year later.” The trees had halted a short distance around them, and seemed to be joining branches, into some kind of net.

The cloaked man almost snorted. "Well, not my fault some traps turn out to be made by very poor artisans. So what shall it be? Will I end up with a duel or with an attempted slaughter?"

The man frowned. "Do I look like a common murderer? I'm trying to take you alive, if you haven't noticed. If I wanted you dead, you wouldn't have even found out about me."

The cloaked man was silent and sheathed his saber. "You should kill me then and get this over with. Even if you did capture me and imprison me, my spirit will never be broken."

[CM IQ Roll: 11 of 11 Sucess]

A slight rustling sound came at him from behind; it was barely noticable. It seemed the creatures were making their move.

The cloaked man gripped his sheath tightly within his cloak, preparing for a parry if need be, as he glanced around.

The first thing he saw came almost directly from behind; several of the creatures seemed to lean foreward, and a series of thick, root-like tendrils lashed out at him.

[CM Dodge: Roll 9 of 8; failure]
[Quick Contest: Dex]
[Morant Rolls 11 of 10+3 = success +2]
[CM Rolls 10 of 15 = success +5]
[CM Wins]

The roots grasped almost hungrily, but weren't fast enough to find purchase; the cloaked man easily broke the grip. Of course, there were plenty more closing in as well.
Out of the vines that he just escaped from, the cloaked man unsheathed his saber and made his way towards a golem.

[CM Attack: Roll 8 of 17 = Success]
[Damage Roll: 8]

The attack took little effort; the things may have been fleet of foot, but they were hardly agile. The blow actually managed to crack one of the things apart slightly, breaking it open a little like brittle timber. The creature went limp without a sound, and the others continued to close in, ignoring the fallen one.

[Morant Rolls 11 of 10+3 = success +2]
[CM Rolls 7 of 15 = success +8]
[CM Wins]

A pair of the rotting husks quickly closed in, sending a frayed wave of roots in his direction; which the cloaked man easily dodged.

The cloaked man dodges the vines after him, and proceeds to tear apart another one.

[CM Attack: Roll 12 of 17 = Success]
[Damage Roll: 9]

The attack cleaved as readily as an axe, and a second brittle trunk fell to the ground.

[Morant Rolls 7 of 10+3 = success +6]
[CM Rolls 3 of 15 = Critical success +12]
[CM Wins]

The creatures nearly fell over themselves sending a third wave of grasping roots in his direction... and then, a singular opportunity presented itself. Whether by luck, or clumsiness on the part of the aboreal menaces, a subtle path seemed to come into his vision... it would take a miracle to escape the crowd, but it seemed fate had given him at least a chance of it.

[CM Dex: Roll: 11 of 15-3 = Success]
[Morant IQ: Roll: 16 of 4 = Miserable failure]

The cloaked man dashed between two of the closest creatures, diving side to side with unnatural speed. One of the morants leaned foreward in an attempt to grapple him, but ended up toppling foreward at the last minute. it managed to knock over a handful of others in the process. The entire group paused, and started looking around, as though puzzled. The captain frowned, his eyes failing to pierce the thick foliage. "Wonderful..." He drew a dagger from his side, and dashed through the crowd himself.

[Quick Stealth Contest: CM VS Captain]
[CM Dex: Roll 5 of 15 = Success + 10]
[Captain IQ: Roll 5 of 14 = Success +9]
[CM wins]

The alien, mutant forest made for excellent cover, and seemed to pose little threat of actually noticing him. Unfortunately, a flash fo silver light tugged at the corner of the cloaked man's senses; it seemed the captain was searching close behind.

The cloaked man kept his pace, dodging random foliage in order to escape.

The forest of creatures continued to wander, aimlessly searching. The cloaked man could almost see a path ahead, leading to more open ground...

The cloaked man kept trying to get out of this trap.

Several feet from the edge of the crowd, the forest suddenly sprang to life with motion. The creatures closed in immediately, charging him without the slightest hesitation.

[Morant Grapple: Roll 12 of 10+3 = Success+1]
[CM Resist: Roll 12 of 15-2 = Success+1]
[CM Dex: roll 9 of 15-4 = Success]

A few more paces, and he broke free of the animated forest. The things were fast on their feet, but not fast enough. He did, however, notice the captain emerge from the group, chasing after him at a breakneck speed.

The cloaked man glance around while he was running, trying to figure out where he is.

There weren't any landmarks to speak of, except for the dirt road that led back to the city. There was no way to judge the distance.

The cloaked man started running down the dirt path, towards the beach. He proceeded onto the city, knowing that the Morants on his back would prevent his passage to the sailors at the destroyed docks.

He was obviously putting some fair distance between himself and the army, but the captain was another matter; he seemed to be gaining on him at a steady pace.

The cloaked man glanced behind him, spotted the captain, but kept running. He tried to step it up a bit, tiring himself a bit faster.

The next time he glanced back, he realized that the captain was no longer giving chase; instead, he was some distance behind, kneeling on the ground. It was hard to see what he was doing.

The cloaked man could just guess he was trying some sort of binding spell, and kept running towards the town, hopefully he'd get to the gates before the spell was casted.

[CM IQ: Roll 9 of 11 = Success]

A slight memory tugged at him, from back in the town that had been put to the torch of a giant demon. A demon that had started in a secluded alleyway. He'd seen someone kneel to cast a spell before... the results had been horrific. Was this something similar?

The cloaked man remembered the demon that had destroyed the port, but he knew that he couldn't do anything to the runes. So, he had to get to the city and get as many people out as he could before the demon arrived. He continued his running route back towards the city.

He managed to get another hundred feet or so before a flickering light flared from behind him, throwing a sharp shadow on the ground before him.

The cloaked man cursed under his tongue. He still had to get Eathan out at least. He kept running towards the city.

[CM Dex: Roll 10 of 15-5 = Success]

Suddenly, and without any warning whatsoever, a patch of ground before him glowed with a circle of blood-red light; The circle seemed to explode like a geyser, and a strange shape thrust out, swiping at him like a scorpion's tail. It missed him by only the thinnest of margins. Several more circles began glowing ahead of him, directly in his path.

The cloaked man muttered under his breath. "Curses." He still had his sword drawn, and attempted to force his way through.

[CM Attack: Roll 11 of 17 = Success+6]
[Thingy Dodge: Roll 15 of ? = Success+?]
[Thingy Wins]

The strange red shape whipped away from his blade with unbelievable speed; wheatever the things were, they were fast. A second one quickly formed, slashing out with equally fearsome speed.
[CM Dex: Roll 12 of 15-5 = Failure]

This time, the cloaked man was no quick enough; the roiling red shape crashed into his back with considerable weight, and seemed to grasp him like a skeletal hand. The shape extended from the glowing red circle, as though emerging from a hole in the ground; slowly, a figure emerged. In only a moment, the Cloaked man was suspended several feet in the air, face to face with a towering figure; it was thin and slender, as though made of folded paper or cloth rather than flesh. It's skin was a midnight-dark red, and it's head was a featureless oval with a vice-like jaw. Quite frankly, the cloaked man had never heard of anything like it in his life. The figure eyed him, looking casually curious. It spoke, with a voice like a thousand insects. "Hello." It regarded him quietly, taking no further action.

The cloaked man examined the figure, and looked intensely into his eyes. "Who are you?"

The figure blinked; it had three elongated eyes, with the thir oriented vertically in the center of it's forehead. "You mortals have such an obsession with names... Do you wish my full title, or my proper family name...?" It's tone of voice was definitely casual and relaxed.

The cloaked man made no motion. "I care not for names. I am asking for your purpose. I already threw away mine many years ago."

The figure blinked a bit at that, and seemed to consider. Finally, it let off a graceful, lazy shrug. "In that regard, I am no-one of consequence. I do as I please." It squinted a little closer. "What of your purpose?"

The cloaked man did not bother to move, because he could not anyways. "It matters not in the grand scheme of things, but I meerly help people that want help along in their lives."

"Ah... to have so simple and naive a view of the world." The figured shrugged, putting a bizzare amount of fluid grace into the simple motion. "...I remember the first time I touched the mortal plane... there's always a sense of nostalgia about it, they say..." The creature looked genuinely ready to launch into a speech or story, but a ragged shout from below interrupted them. "HOY!” The figure looked down. The captain stood by it's feet, panting for breath, and leaning on his knees. The figure glanced at the cloaked man in it's grasp. "Friend of yours?"

"Not really. He's just been on my back for some time now, while I'm attempting to continue the fulfillment of my purpose."

"Really now..." The figure leaned a bit closer, with a squint. "...you owe him money, don't you?"

The captain waved at them, angrily. "What are you waiting for? Get him back to the cove with the other!"

The cloaked man scoffed. "If it is for the Morants, then it is true, I wrecked a few. But I highly doubt I really broke anything else that is labeled as his."

The slender, towering figure frowned a bit at the captain, in disbelief. "This is your reason for calling my favor? Your little toy sticks couldn't chase down a single man, and you bring me into this world?"

"What!?" The captain was obviously unhappy. "Have you any idea what powers hang in the balance? This is no idle sport!"

The figure looked a little disgruntled itself. "I see no reason to place value with EITHER of your goals, mortals. Your flickering lifespans mean nothing to our kind..."

"I see no reason either, but at this point, you might as well side with someone before one side decides to silence the other threat."

The captain continued in a more commanding tone. "Do you think I care about your mood? Your free to do as you will... but until you obey my command, you will not even so much as set foot in your precious infernal home!"

The figure sighed. "...well, there's no reason to be hasty..."

"Take him to the cove, and keep him imprisoned there, until I return... and that is an ORDER!"

The figure seemed to bristle, ever so slightly. But it aquiesced, with a gentle nod. "Of course." it took a long, slow step towards the forest.

The captain shouted back. "...and NO MORE TALKING! I don't want you uttering ONE more word to him! he knows far too much already."

The figure sighed, exasperated as it continued away. "Yes yes yes, Obviously."

The cloaked man snickered. "I wonder if other elementals summoned to this plain have to put up with this."

True to it's word, the figure remained utterly silent and inert. It slowly walked into the forest, wading waist deep within the crown of leaves, making it's way further into the island. The figure swayed above the trees almost rythmically as it strode; yet it's footsteps were soft and muted, like incredibly distant thunder. It felt exactly like they were gliding rather than walking. After a moment, the figure stopped, and turned to look over it's shoulder at the beach. The captain was nowhere to be seen. After a pause, it gazed back down at it's prey, it's clamp-like jaw stretched into a grin. "So... what do you wish to talk about?"

The cloaked man raised an eyebrow. "I take it you don't like getting summoned to this plane very much."

"...it's the company, most of the time. And it's not like I need a specific reason to undermine my summoner."

The cloaked man lowered his eyebrow, and began to think. "I take it you were the same being I saw a few months before, at the other city."

The figure worked it's jaw, looking thoughtful. "Do we all look so alike to you? I have not touched this plane in many long ages... why do you ask?"

"I figure you beings of fire have an easy time changing between shapes because you are not limited to a certain structure of being, like one of ice would be, and also, it was a fire elemental that leveled the city. That the same summoner called forth to do his bidding."

The figure, for the first time, took on a vaguely predatory expression as it regarded him. "You mistake my nature entirely. I am no mere being of fire... I am a harvester of pain; a sower of dischord. I deliver fear and division unto the flesh of man..." It eyed him, with a malicious gleam in it's eyes. "...stands before you no less than an agent of the burning hells."

The cloaked man only smiled at the new information. "Then I still have seen others with the same purpose...probably just not the same elemental that leveled the docks that day a few months ago. And why is it that you put yourself under the command of another human? Has he bested you in some way before?"

The creature's gleam vanished, replaced with it's earlier lazy curiosity. "It is not as complicated as most diabolists would have you think; they simply..." It paused, considering. "Do you truly wish to know the process involved in summoning forth a demon?" it soudned almost concerned. "You may someday be tempted to do so for your own ends, after all."

The cloaked man shook his head. "Even if I knew the process of summoning, I am not one blessed with the gift of magic. If I tried the process myself, I'd probably be very unsuccessful, and would rather incur the wrath of the thing i'm blindly summoning."

It gave him a truly unnerving gaze. "Your words are truer than you know... your concience remains scarred by another. Regardless..." It leaned back a little, adjusting it's grip to give the cloaked man a more comfortable seat.
"The essense of the deal is this; the Diabolist allows the Demon to enter into the mortal realm. Such entrance can only be achieved with the concent of a mortal being. Of course, only the mortal can return the demon. So if he knows what's good for him, the demon will obey. But it's really an honor system; nobody HAS to do anything, really."

The cloaked man suddenly became curious. "Any summoner could return the demon? Does it have to be the original summoner that returns the demon?"

"Well, that is the catch... only the original summoner can do the trick. Many times, a demon simply flies into a rage, killign the Summoner, and trapping itself here. A demon can return with the concent of another diabolist... though of course, the diabolist suffers the same cost for the passage, and recieves no compensation from the demon.” The creature rolled it's eyes. "...you can guess how often that happens."

The cloaked man shrugged. "Well, apparently, I have run out of questions to ask. I doubt your summoner would tell you anything about the Sky sword that many people seek right now."

The figure nodded, inresigned agreement. "True... so very true. He tells me very little, really.” There was a pause. "...ironic really, considering I know more about it than he does..." it scratched the side of it's head, in a leisurely fashion.

The cloaked man reclined a bit. "Can the sword actually be destroyed then?"

The figure arched an eyebrow. "Not by any method You possess... or I, for that matter. Tell me... what do you mortals know of this weapon? This legendary tool? Have you even a scrap of fact to prepare you?"

The cloaked man raised an eyebrow. "None, actually. I am being led by a mouseling who had her master taken away by the sword. However, just because I am ignorant, does not mean I cannot deny whatever help I can provide."

The figure was silent for a moment. "I am forced to admire your confidence... but I do not envy your naivette of the world around you." The figure stopped it's slow, gliding pace; it simply stood over the treetops. The cloud-filtered moonlight gave it's body a strange sheen. "Tell me... do you ever wonder why you exist?" it leaned closer, lowerign it's voice slightly. "Do you ever wonder about the meaning of life?"

The cloaked man shook his head. "No, I don't wonder about why I exist. To wonder about items that can never be truly answered is a philosopher's game, I am not a philosopher. I am meerly a follower."

The figure seemed to come to a silent conclusion. It resumed it's slow, metronomic stride. "If what you say is true, the weapon will not charm you.... you see, the sword and the meaning of life are the same."

The cloaked man raised an eyebrow. "Does that mean the sword was created by gods to test if man were ever to conquer his ideals?"

The figure smiled broadly. "If you must know... the sword is indeed a celestial tool. But it was never meant to be held by mortal hands... much the same as life was never meant to be. It simply was." It regarded him quizzically. "Are you sure the sword hold no interest for you? You seem curious indeed."

The cloaked man shrugged. "I am curious how many people can treasure the sword when it only creates misery amongst the relatives of the wielder. The mouseling that guides me suffers from the loss of her master to the sword; I meerly seek to heal what damage I can."

"I find that most unusual... the sword is not generally destructive to those it associates with. Unless of course, your on the recieving end... but that isn't really the sword's fault, is it?" The figure rubbed it's chin. "Though really, the same could be said of any sword. It is the person at the hilt you seek."

The cloaked man made no motion. "Then I still must seek what has happened to her master, if it will comfort her. If it is the sword's doing, then I must find a way to split the sword from the man. If it is the master's doing, then I must give him eternal rest from this suffering that he has placed upon himself."

The figure again regarded him. "Tell me... we demons exist to divide man. We seek to corrupt him, and draw him to embrace his baser, animal instincts. We did not invent the idea of hate or suffering, but we certainly propogate it. What view do you have of us?"

The cloaked man crossed his arms. "I have none. All of us when brought to this world are brought for a single purpose; to reproduce and spread the genes across the land is the most common it appears, while others must satisfy the war god's mirth for battle. You, and all your brethren, are meerly pawns, as I am, in the grand scheme of things. Therefore, I cannot blame you for actions that you are designed to do."

The figure shook it's head sorrowfully. "You have closed your mind to all but your own zeal, little child. You are well on your way to becoming a demon yourself... for the first step is to refuse to question yourself." The figure changed the subject abruptly. "Have you no other questions of the sword? It's legends? It's previous wielders? It's powers, even?"

The cloaked man thought for a moment. "What could it possibly do that make people value it so much?"

The figure considered for a time, apparently choosing it's words. "Well... to know this, I must explain the meaning of life... this is not lightly done, you know. Still interested?"

The cloaked man glanced around. "If you don't mind endangering yourself to eavesdropping of the summoner."

The figure made a rude noise with it's tongue. "That one holds less dominion over my actions than he believes. Though he trusts nobody anyways. The meaning of life is not love... it is not peace, or worship, or a productive life. It is not virtue, nor is it reincarnation. The meaning of life is... now. No matter what you want in life, or what goals you seek to attain... the only thing that truly matters is what you do now...past virtue will not excuse present sin, and a promise of virute is less than worthless. And the sword offers you the only thing that matters. It gives you what you truly desire, but only in the present."
The figure snorted. "You mortals don't have the capacity to appreciate the future anwyays... insensitive philistines." He paused. "I haven't ruined any awe you felt for the world, have I?"

The cloaked man snorted. "As if I had any."

There was a lull in the conversation then. The figure simply walked, it's swaying, gliding gait almost smooth enough to put him to sleep. It spoke again, barely a whisper. "It's not what it seems, you know... it's hardly just a sword..."

The cloaked man looked at the demon. "I can just imagine what would happen if it ended up in the hands of a man like Karuzhe, the so-called prince of bandits."

The figure closed it's eyes. "Him. He cares not for living things. He does not desire the sword. No, not him...he fears it."

The cloaked man raised an eyebrow. "There was another...a small girl that one of my companions spoke with. I take it she's pulling the strings behind Karuzhe?"

"You are warned to stay well away from that one." The figure lifted it's other hand towards him, coverign him with a warm shadow. "Enough talk of demons and swords... your eyes are far too heavy to stay awake."

The cloaked man could do nothing but acquiese, he dozed off.

The creature's footsteps faded, until they were nothing but a deep, rhythmic pounding. Soon enough, he could scarcely tell the difference between the sound, and his own heartbeat.

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:13 am

(ooc: editted from IM session)

Back in the barracks guardhouse, all was quiet. Ironlung lay slumped against the wall in his cell, with his voluminous length of torso coiled in rings. He seemed either introspective, or enraged... or sleepy. It was hard for Eathan to make nay kind of judgment about his mood. Ironlung's inscrutable face was locked in the same, rock-jawed, smug-looking grin as always. He obviously want going to start any conversations himself.

Eathan basically sat there, unsure of what to say, or do, to be honest. From Ironglung's own admissions, there wasn't much he could really tell Eathan. So, stayed quiet, and silently moved through the practice katas for his Bokken.

Ironlung watched him intently, but remained silent. Some considerable amount of time passed; perhaps an hour or so. Eventually, Eathan heard a quiet growl from the cell.

Putting away his bokken, he turned his eyes to the cell, and then turned to Ironlung. Taking up his runes again, he cast his spell.
[Eathan tries to cast Activate Runes. Total skill: 11]
[Eathan Spell roll: 11 of 12-1 = Success]

Ironlung eyed him a bit, and repeated himself; the voice was much more bestial and watery than Eathan was used to, but it was intelligible. "Water?" He said, scratching the side of his neck. "Have you any water?"

"Will fresh water be ok?"

Ironlung offered only a shrug, and a noncommital grunt.

Eathan reached into his bag, pulling out a cup, and filled it from his water bladder. "Here you go."

Ironlung eyed it for a moment, but took the cup carefully into his huge, clawed hand. He promptly poured the cup along the back of his neck, flaring a series of gills as he did so. He handed the cup back to Eathan, looking a little resigned.

"Are you alright?"

"It is dry here... that is all. I have never spent this much time breathing empty space." He seemed to sigh. "How much longer must I stay in this room?"

"To be honest, I really don't know. I could ask them to get a tub, it it would be of help. I don't know if I could make sea water for you, but I can try."

Ironlung seemed a bit puzzled. "Make... what do you mean by that?"

"Oh... In my studies, with Vesper, I've been awakening the power of my Ancestral runes. One of those Runes, reprisents Water, and through it, I can make large amounts... Although I'm still not very good at it. I'm very much an apprentice in the ways of magic... And it seems in combat as well. When you're people had attacked, it was the first time I'd ever done battle, where my life, or another's hung in the balance."

"I am told you did not tremble before us. There may be hope for you, then." Ironlung tilted his head; there was definitely a hint of curiosity in there somewhere. "But... why do you learn both? Witches should stay behind soldiers; not become them."

"True enough. But the path of the warrior was a journey I had only partially begun. It is true that by diversifying I risk a lot, but true magic has been forgotten at my home... Even though people like me have the gift. To awaken them once more is too much a possibility to pass up. It will take me time before I will even have a full understanding of the Runes, let alone mastery over them. So on the journey I and my companions are on, being able to offer both as a tool, has its benefits. Besides, were I to rely solely on Magic alone, in place where it does not function, or against an opponent immune to such, I may have to rely on fighting skills."

"It's not always the best thing to spread oneself out on things,” Eathan continued, “but a person can not always rely on having allies and friends about him to survive. Besides, the tales of my Druid Ancestors often depicted them as both warriors and mystics."

Ironlung seemed to consider. Eathan wasn't sure if he'd caught all of his words, but he seemed to understand well enough. "Witchcraft such as you practice is a gift to your people, not only to you. Should you perish, you deprive them of your gift... you are not to be wasted in melee! Do your kin not understand this?" Eathan could sense a bit of culture clash here; his kind obviously had a few different ideas about magic.

"I think I get where you're coming from. I think the easiest way to put it would be like this... As a warrior, you wouldn't think twice to put your life between death and one of your kin, especially your priest, wouldn't you? A part of me feels the same way. Some of it's my culture, some was just how I was raised to believe. Until the battle, I'd always questioned whether I'd truly had it in me to do it. I guess now I know. I guess it's just hard to alter my thinking to let others do battle in my stead. I know it's an odd way to think, but the whole magic thing is still new to me, and I think they still see me as the guy that broke Kenery's ribs when were sparred the first time we me."

There was a sizable moment of quiet after that, as Ironlung seemed to consider. "You speak of your home... do they have many witches? Perhaps ours are more rare than yours... more deserving of protection."

"It's hard to say, to be honest. Though these people are human kin to me, I am not from any lands they know or have even heard of. The Centuries have not been kind to those who once had the 'witch's' knowledge. In the name of religion, many who had the knowledge, or even just the gift, were killed along side many innocents. Eventually, the knowledge itself became lost somewhere in the mists of time. Now, those with the gift, are often considered lunatics, charlatans, or just plain freaks. I hid my own gift, not knowing what it was, fearing that I might be branded like my grandfather, and my father before me. I didn't know what I truly had, until I found myself deep within these lands. I guess, that's why I feel the heart of the warrior so deeply as well."

A look of visible surprise almost formed on Ironlung's face. "You purged the gift from your home?" He was relevantly silent for a moment. "I did not even know that could be done... how do your people survive? They must be primitive indeed!" Eathan couldn't help but be struck by his wording; The idea of Ironlung calling the human race primitive was immensely ironic.

"We were for a long time," he said after several long moments of thought. "When the greatest kingdom of the ancient world of my homelands fell, it ushered in the darkest age in my people's history. This was 75... maybe 85 human generations ago. Humans often destroy what they do not understand, and someone who could reshape the world by will alone, would be considered someone to be feared... Because they were not 'servants of God,' or something that everyone could do or understand.

“For 1300 years, the 'church,' had the greatest power on my world. It's will could topple nations, and sometimes did. More atrocities and death have occurred during my people's history, because of the Church and in the name of God, than any other force known. It's only within the last few generations, that people have even been considering that other ways could be acceptable. That's why the knowledge for those to make use of their gift, has been all but completely lost. And even then, anyone thought to be different, are still often treated foully. The True path of the warrior now a days, is little more than a story, and few will really take it. maybe that's why I hold on to it so."

"My people now command most of our world, and have sent many species that once flourished in numbers beyond measure, to the eternal beyond, making them nothing but a memory to be spoken of in tales, lest they be forgotten forever. That's why I couldn't stand by and do nothing, when you told me of your people." He finally fell silent, not really knowing what further to say.

Ironlung looked stunned; despite his usual grin, his surprise was quite visible. Other than that, Eathan couldn't tell what he was thinking. He wondered if he'd had trouble following it all.

After a minute of silence, he spoke up again. "You mentioned water-making... would it be too much trouble?"

"Not at all. Besides, I need the practice. You want something to lay in, or just dunk your head in?"

He shrugged again. "Cover the neck will enough for now." Eathan got the impression that his translation runes were slightly degrading; perhaps the casting had been more of a close call than he'd realized.

"Hmm, I'll see what I can get. Again, would Ocean water be better? Guard!"

Ironlung simply nodded. Eventually, someone shouted back from the door down the hall. "Oy? What's the problem?"

"I need an empty water Keg. One of the big 4 foot ones, with a big opening."

There was a pause. "What for?" There was a poorly hidden hint of suspicion.

"Good grief," he said under his breath. "I need something to hold a lot of water, so my friend can dunk himself in it. Does that help?"

There was a pause; he then heard the door close shut, with no other response.

Eathan growled. "Idiots. Would simply hitting you with a steady stream would be ok?"

He shook his head; the huge mane of webbed spines along his neck waved with the motion. "It would only be a short relief. No matter." He gazed at Eathan. "Do not be harsh to them; they have no need to show me a kindness. We have declared war, you know."

"That may be so, but you are a guest, not a prisoner of war, and we're trying to keep their ungrateful asses from getting run over. I'll remain civil, I don't need a fight right now." Eathan opened the door, then headed down to the main door to talk with someone nose to nose.

He noticed the heavy deadbolt was closed shut. it slid open, however, as he approached the door. It opened only enough for guard to peek through. he gave a nervous glance behind Eathan. "Problem?"

"Yeah. I'd like the get the barrel I asked for, or something large enough to get his head and shoulders into."

The man immediately closed the door shut, very loudly. A moment after, however, the sound of sliding chains and locks came from the door, which was then opened fully. The guard pointed down the hall, where a large water basin rested empty. "All yours... but be quick. Can't leave the door open too long."

"Thank you," he said, then headed over to the basin. He tested it's weight, then started dragging it back tot eh cell.
[Eathan Sense: Roll 10 of 14 = Sucess]

It didn't take too great an effort; it was heavy, but nothing he couldn't handle. While he was outside the garrison's cell area, however, he managed to hear something from down the hall; someone was shouting a bit, and the voice sounded familiar.

He stopped for a moment to listen.

It was coming from the main entrance to the guardhouse... it sounded female, and disgruntled.

Eathan set the basin back down, and eased himself closer, trying to hear what was being said, his curiosity getting the best of him.

The voices were barely audible at this distance, but he could hear the girl clearly whenever her voice rose. he did manage to catch a bit of it... "...what do you mean, no visitors? He's not even a prisoner! The woman said he was just keeping an eye on..." the voice trailed off as it quieted.

Eathan stepped even closer, not really bothering with stealth... Cause the voice sounded a lot like Buzya.

The guard's voice became more audible at this range. "Look, girl... I don't care who you are, or what your doing here. Our orders were to let NOBODY into the cell rooms. If you want to see him, you'll just have to wait for him to come out."

The girl's response was sharp. "Do I look like an assassin to you!? I'm not even armed!" It was definitely Buzya; no doubt at all.

"I can attest to her not being an assassin. She's one of my companions. Are you alright, Buzya?"

Buzya looked only slightly satisfied. "Apart from not being allowed to visit a friend, yes. Is... everything alright?" She seemed concerned.

"So far. Just a little boring. Maybe you can help me with this water basin. Ironlung needs to dunk his gills and I think we could both could use the company. The conversation is getting pretty heavy in there."

She nodded. "Be glad to help... though I can't imagine what he'd be interested in. Didn't miss anything, I hope?" She moved to help pull the basin into the cell room.

"How's your head," he asked, as he helped to raise the end of the basin and began dragging it with her to the cell.

"Still hurts a bit, but hardly serious. I was glad to finally get a bath though." She nodded at Ironlung as they finished moving the basin, and offered a polite bow. "Good to see you, Ironlung. I hope your well."

Ironlung nodded, and looked at Eathan. "Please tell your friend I can't understand a word she says."

"Damnit... Those damn Runes misread what I wanted again. I'm gonna have to recast it again, he can't understand you. She said that it was good to see you again, and hoped you were well." After he put the basin down, he went back to his bag, and pulled the runes out, and concentrate on what he wanted out of the magic... For him to understand them, and them to understand him.

[Activate Runes. Skill 11]
[Casting is at -1 for three runes at once]
[Eathan spell: Roll 10 of 11-1]

There was a moment of silence as the spell finished. Ironlung looked at them. "Did it work?" The voice seemed much less bestial, with more of a human inflection.

"Yeah, I think it worked. Buzya?"

[Buzya Thaumaturgy: Roll 11 of 12 = Success]

Buzya was eyeing the runes a little critically. "I'm still not sure about those things... something seems off about them. Do you feel alright? There's no side effects, or anything? I mean, they are demon runes..." She lowered her voice for the last part of that sentence.

"Yeah, I know. I don't I've felt anything, but I'm beginning to think this things may actually have a mind of their own. Unfortunately, unless we can find a common language or alternate magic or means of communication, we don't have a lot of alternative. And knowing only the Runes for Create, Food and Water, isn't going to be of help here. except for filling this basin... I hope."

[He'll be air drawing the runes create and water, and focusing the spell on creating Salt water or Sea Water. He'll also be taking extra time to draw the runes, to get a +1 to skills.]
[Rune Tracing, "Create": Roll ? of 10 = ?]
[Rune Tracing, "Water": Roll ? of 9 = ?]
[Activate Runes: Roll 11 of 11 = Success]

As the spell finished, Eathan felt a slightly disorienting sensation; he wasn't quite sure what had gone wrong, but the desired water wasn't appearing...though strangely enough, there was a vague and subtle sensation, as though his sense of smell had suddenly been affected.

Buzya eyed him "You alright?"

"I think I flubbed something."

"Hm..." She pursed her lips. "You really should see about carving some runes... even common ones would be a big help."

"No argument there. Although it'll take a couple of days just to make the three Runes I know."

Buzya looked down. "I don't even want to think about true runestones... even with both of us, it'd take half a year for each one..."

Ironlung cleared his throat. "...you might ask the guards to fetch some water... we are near an ocean."

"For some... Others, we'd need a year...Good point, though I doubt they'd be willing to take the time to do it. Feel like a walk, Buzya?"

Buzya seemed eager at first, but reconsidered. "...do you think we can leave him alone, till then?"

Ironlung immediately made a somewhat rude sound, expressing his opinions regarding that concern.

Buzya shrugged. "Walking it is then!"

He refrained from a chuckle. "Well then off we go. I wonder how many buckets we're gonna need?"

Buzya stood, and headed outside. "Well, that's an 18 Poa basin, and the bucket holds three quarters of a Poa, so 24 buckets should do. We can each cary two, right?"

"Right... Maybe we can find an empty barrel or something. I miss internal plumbing." He followed her out of the cell.

The nearest source of water ended up being a well in the city center, only a block away. The place was far from crowded at the moment; most people were transporting supplies, and salvaging wreckage from the destroyed docks. Buzya looked down. "Certainly throws a stark light on what Ironlung's people can do, doesn't it?"

"Yeah. Then again, we humans can do just as much... In some cases, much more." He looked very far off in thought, as he worked on bringing up the bucket loads.

Buzya was quiet for a moment. "Your home... sometimes, you almost sound like your ashamed of it... if it's not to bold of me to say so."

"I guess a part of me is," He said. "We both know the histories of our two peoples, and and know some of the darker sides of what our species can do. Talking with Ironlung just got me thinking on a lot of things, buried in the past that we carry with us, and too many don't bother remembering."

The wells rope and pulley system moved quickly and efficiently, and they soon had four buckets of water in hand. "That doesn't mean Ironlung's own people are above reproach... it seems like whenever he mentions how dangerous or agressive his people can be, he almost sounds... cheerful. Maybe it's just the translation runes... or maybe just that he always seems to wear that same grin all the time." She smiled a bit at that last comment. Her voice lost it's berevity. "What if his people really are eager for war? We don't even know anything about how his people think, or behave in groups."

"Possibly. I think it's in the design of their jaws. But then, some people do take a sense of pride in their people. With how they've been treated, and I'm taking his statement as literal, I would expect any war that comes, to be brutal, and any group attacks by water, would be like catching a pack of sharks going into a feeding frenzy agains anything that hits the water. And if the clans CAN come together and gather enough Ironlungs to the cause, it wouldn't doubt they could wipe every living thing off this island, without much effort."

Buzya seemed unsettled about something. "Eathan... I haven't talked with Ironlung much... but... well, I asked him how many warriors his people could muster, if given the time...he said ten thousand." She looked down a bit.

"Was that in general, or just the Ironlungs?"

“Just in general." She frowned a bit. "The thing is, he was very exact about it. It leads me to believe that his kind don't have numerical values for quantities above ten thousand." She offered a more concerned frown. "...if that's true, then ten thousand might only be the bare minimum."

"You may be right. I doubt he's bluffing too."

By now, they'd reached the guard house; the soldier Eathan had spoke with earlier noded, and opened the cell door for them. Eathan poured his buckets into the basin, and waited for Buzya at the door. She added her own to the basin, but paused. "Actually, Ironlung... are you hungry? We might be able to get some fish from the market..."

Ironlung's only response was a deep-throated, watery bubble. Buzya nodded. "Right, silly me..."

Eathan chuckled. Then looked at Ironlung. He pointed to him, then his mouth, then patted his stomach, and finally made a swimming fish gesture. Given his intelligence, he hoped Ironlung figured out the question.

Ironlung seemed to arch his eyebrows. He nodded, but rubbed a hand against the uppermost portion of his torso; there was a slight growl accompanying the motion.

"Yeah, he's hungry."

Buzya smiled. "Thanks for translating... want me to go get something, while you go for another pair of buckets?"

"Sounds good. Besides, you have the money."

"Well, it's really Kenery's money." She shrugged. "I just... well... have it." She smiled, and headed back outside.

Eathan's further trips to the Well were largely uneventful. Compared to hauling crates on the ship, it was rather little effort indeed. Buzya met him on his last trip back, holding a small packet of sliced fresh fish. Eathan brought in the last of the bucket fulls, and gave Buzya a smile. "So, if you weren't here with us and all this craziness, what would you be doing right now?"

Buzya's face went from a smile to a look of absolute shock. "Oh-my-goodness... I just realized I broke a circle back at the docks!" She frowned. "Not that there was a lot of choice... it's just... the first time I've done that."

He cocked a eyebrow. "'Circle?' Is that kind of like going where you've never been before?"

She rolled her eyes. "It's probably not what you think... a circle of mages. We were working on enchanting a Wizard's Eye... five of us together; once a day, every day." She looked down, wistfully. "You can't continue unless everyone's there... we were almost halfway done, too...It wasn't an official order for the library. A couple of us just decided to try some freelance; maybe earn a bit of money. That's all."

"Ouch. Well, at least they can't really blame you. You were kind of running for your life at the time. But I can understand wanting to make a few extra bucks... Oh, 'Bucks' is one of the many slang terms we have for money."

When they returned to the cell, Ironlung was lying on his back, with his long, flexible neck bent under the water. he looked incredibly sated, and was emiting a deep, purr-like rumbling. Upon each exhale, a frothing cloud of bubbles seeped out of his gills and rose to the surface.

Buzya blinked a bit at the sight. "Well... thats kind of cute. In a scary way."

"I guess he doesn't have much of a problem with fresh water after all. I guess that's something else these people should think about. If the rest of his people can stand it too, they may have a deeper problem than they first thought they had. But you're right, he DOES look a little happy."

"Well, it's a miracle he can breathe air at all. Maybe his compatability with freshwater is related." She paused. "Wait... what do you mean by 'deeper problem,' exactly?"

"Islands often have rivers and streams, and that well, could be fed by an underground river. At some point it might connect with the sea. If they swim up river, then scale the well, they wouldn't necessarily need to go through the front gate, will they? Sneak a few members through the well, to hold it while others are coming out, They could have an entire assault team in here, before the guards even knew a thing. It's just a tactical thought."

She smiled. "Maybe so, but it's not a good geography thought... water isn't drawn to the well through under ground rivers; the water just seeps in through the soil, into a pre-dug resovoir."

"Ah. Well that solves that then."

A woman's voice came from behind them just then. "...it's prudent to assume their priests have great dominion over water... a Body Of Water spell would certainly allow movement through underground aquifers." Buzya jumped a bit; it was the woman, dressed in red that they'd met earlier. She sounded a little severe, but concerned. "All is well, I hope?"

"Well, I think Ironlung's feeling better. Any sign of our cloaked friend?"

She shook her head. "He left the city to check in with your friends; It's a good hour walk, one way, so he'll be back in half an hour or so. Let's hope he has interesting news. I just wanted to check on our friend here, and see if he needed anything... is he talkative right now?"

"I'd have to reactivate the magic, but I think he's mostly soaking his gills. You have some questions for him?"

She shook her head. "Nothing more complicated than his dietary and habitation needs. If he's to stay, we'll need to arrange for something more permenant."

Buzya held up the sides of fish. "Well, we have a meal for him right here, if he's interested. Hey! you awake?" She waved at Ironlung. He opened an eye, and lifted his head a bit.
when he saw what Buzya was offering him, he simply shook his head, looking a little disappointed. She frowned. "Hm... must not be on his usual menu."

"Let me charge my runes up, and we'll find out."

[Activate Runes, the full two-way spell]
[Eathan Spell roll: 17 of 11 = Get The Fire Extinguisher]
[Critical Failure Roll: 18 of 18]

The immediate effect was an intense odor of Brimstone. For some reason, Eathan easily recognized it, despite having very little contact with the substance, previously. The runes immediately started wriggling, and growing sharply in temperature.

"Sulfer?"

The woman dressed in red slapped his hand aside, and harshly shoved him back; the runes dropped to the ground, and seemed to bounce and clatter of their own accord.

"What happened?"

The woman in red immediately knelt, and whipped out a piece of red chalk. "The girl should go. NOW. Don't you dare go anywhere, Eathan Drake... I need you for this."

Buzya glanced at eathan, looking worried.

He looked to Buzya. "GO! Find Vesper."

She jumped a bit, but ran outside at a sprint. By now, the woman had finished drawing a circle, with a seven pointed star in the middle. She was adding strange runes around the border, filling in the edge as quickly as possible. The two runestones lay on the ground within the circle; a strange, black shadow seemed to grow over them, oozing like oil; it seemed almost alive.

"Whatever happens..." The woman spoke through clenched teeth. "...I need you to know... this wasn't your fault... You just happen to be... unfathomably... unlucky today..."

"Why do I get the feeling this is going to be nasty?"

She kept focused as she drew around the stones; the oily shadow seemed to congeal into a solid, liftign away from the stone's surface. A shape resemblign a tiny arm seemed to extend, clawing at the air as through struggling to tear through something. A bubble of the oil popped, and a skeletal bat-wing emerged; a filmy black membrane spread between the bones. She finished the circle of runes, and grabbed eathan's hand, twisting him down to kneel beside her; before he knew what was happening, she took out a small dagger, and quickly slashed a very tiny cut on his finger. "...hold Still, damnation..."

"OW! You could have warned me."

"No time for that... sorry..." She forced his hand over the circle, and squeezed a spot on his armpit, putting preassure on a vein. "...has this ever happened before?" Her voice was unusualy casual.

[Eathan Sense: Roll 12 of 11 = Marginal failure]

"First time," he said through clenched teeth. "Where's the third rune?"

[Eathan notice the third runestone is missing, but he doesn't see where it is right now.]

The woman let out a quick gasp, and craned her neck left and right. "...what?"

[Adleobahn Sense: Roll 6 of 16-3 = Critical Sucess]

"There! By the bucket! Grab it, and put it in the circle! NOW!" Eathan saw the rune; he also noticed it was glowing red hot, and crawling with black, oily tentacles. He did as ordered, drawing his bokken, and using it to move the stone into the circle.

[Eathan DX: Roll 6 of 14-4 = Sucess]

The woman's eyes bulged a bit as he did so; but she wasn't fast enough to stop him. "NO WAIT!" The moment the stone was slid close to the surface of the circle, A bit of black tentacle lashed out, desperately trying to stroke the ground, in a series of flailing swipes. The stone bounced up a bit at the last second, landing it in the circle.

"Sorry. Still new at this."

The woman grabbed his Bokken fiercely, and carefully placed it entirely within the circle, with a sense of extreme urgency. She then squeezed his finger, and dropped a bit of blood on the circle. There was no visible difference, but the woman immediately stood up, and pulled him back, careful not to touch the circle. She sighed. "...you should have used your hand to pick it up; I doubt we'll get the weapon back in one piece now."

Eathan looked at the weapon, and fround. "Vesper hadn't really covered things like this yet. He'd mentioned it, but not in detail."

His eyes quickly found their way to the minuscule, black, bat-winged figure; it looked roughly humanoid, but with long, blade-like fingers and toes; it looked gaunt and starved, it's tiny ribcage was visibly stretched tight, and it's torso little mroe than a string of flesh. It was headless, with a severed neck, and it's long tail coiled like a slithering snake. It was making little screeching sounds, harsh enough to threaten him with a splitting headache. It's thrashing was surprisingly animated.

The woman sighed, and knelt before the pentacle she'd drawn. "Well... at least it's not the first time you've seen one. And it could have been plenty worse."

"Right. And the runes are in there, so I have no idea what it's saying. But yeah, I guess it COULD have been worse. Now what do we do with it?"

"Oh, that's easy..." She frowned severely at the circle. "We wait for the demon to test my pentacle." Her eyes seemed to lock with the tiny demon's glowing red dots for a moment, almost daringly.

[Adleobahn Pentacle Skill: Roll 5 of 12 = Success +7]
[Demon (IQ+ST)/2: Roll 8 of 8 = Success +0]

The demon snapped like a slingshot, darting for the woman's face with it's wings and claws outstretched; it bounced off an invisible surface like a rubber ball, bounced off the opposite side of the wall, and landed on the ground in a heap. Adleobahn nodded satisfactorily. "...damn straight, cur. Your welcome to try again tomorrow."

"Wow. Those things really work. Do you think it understands common?"

The tiny thing lifted a wing off it's withered, skull-stretched head, and glared at Eathan with an intense hiss, like nails on a chalkboard; it then spoke, with an equally pleasing tone. "SILENCE, WRETCH! I WILL BATHE IN YOUR BLOOD BEFORE THE NIGHT IS OVER!!"

...of course, what he didn't expect was to hear the thing speaking in the english language.

"Watch it, she can probably blast your scrawny ass back to the hells. So just keep the attitude in check. Your being here is an accident."

The creature's voice lowered, and he merely snarled. He then started making a puking or retching sound that was truly disgusting. It eventually degenerated into a series of strange, gargling sounds, as though it was choking on it's own bile.

He looked over to Adleobahn. "Tell me there's a way to send this thing back to where it came from... Or what do we do with it?"

She frowned. "If there had been any parameters to it's summoning, we could either meet those demands, or nullify the contract somehow... as for accidentals like this, they pretty much remain until banished or obliterated."

She rubbed her chin. "I think it probably knows it's only fate is to be slain; there's not much worse than a demon with nothing to lose..."

"You mean there's not a way to just open a door and toss him back? And if you've got any REASONABLE suggestions, feel free to speak up."

"Well..." She continued rubbing her chin. "...generally speaking, destroying a demon's body simply sends the spirit back to their native plane of existance... though I'm not sure what harmful effects it might suffer." She arched an eyebrow. "You wouldn't have a problem with slaughtering the loathsome little thing, would you?"

The creature continued to gargle it's litany strange, pitiful utterances.

"I've never summoned an otherworldly being before. Accidental or otherwise. Karma might not look at me right, for simply killing something I accidently brought her to begin with. Besides, I feel a little sorry for the thing."

Adleobahn simply stared at him, with slack jawed, bug-eyed astonishment. There was a moment of silence. The demon spoke in it's harsh, scratching voice, but it's tone was for some reason, incredibly more civilized. "...you must be Eathan."

He looked back at her. He was about to say something, when it called him by name. His head slowly turned to it. "You know my name?" he said as much as questioned in common.

The little creature was crouching in a foreward-hunched posture, but at least it wasn't thrashing about maniacally. it spread it's wings and began fluttering into the air with a rapid, sloppy-wet flapping sound. A sphere seemed to form beneath it, which the sinewy tail curled around. Eventually, the creature was perched firmly a top a black sphere, the size of a baseball; it's serpentine tail and lengthy bladed toes grasped it tightly. The sphere then opened, revealing a disembodied, glowing red eye. It lifted up to a higher altitude, and the eye gazed at him. "Yes... yes I know your name." It was, once more, speaking in english.

Adleobahn put a hand on Eathan's chest in warning. "Whatever it's saying, be warned... demons speak ONLY in lies."

"Sometimes you have to hear a few lies, in order to hear some truths." He looked her in the eye for every word. Then he looked back to the demon. "And just how is it you know of me," he asked in English.

The floating eyeball the creature perched on simply looked aside wit ha half-lidded look of boredome. The creature examined the claws on it's left hand lazily. It said nothing.

"So now you give me the silent treatment. Must not be much of a conversationalist. You wanna at least sport an idea about sending you back, or do we take up her 'simple solution?'"

The eye gazed up at him, floating closer to the pentagram's border. "I like it here. There are worse places to be. Besides... only you can send me back."

"You'd make a hell of a pet." He turned back to Adleobahn, "It says It likes it here, and I'm the only one who can send it back."

Adleobahn stared at him, looking completely and utterly unsatisfied. She turned to face the demon. "You there... at what time of year does snow fall?"

"The middle of summer."

"Where do trees grow?"

"The ocean, obviously."

"What color is the sky?"

"Green, of COURSE, you imbecille! Why do you play these foolish games?"

The creature's voice was utterly, earnestly serious. Adleobahn turned her gaze back to Eathan.

"Huh. Well what do you know? So then obviously it doesn't want to stay, and other people can send it back, but that still doesn't explain how he knew my name."

The woman offered an intake of breath, as though a precursor to a sigh; she instead eyed the creature again. "You there. Tell me his name." She pointed at him. The creature looked about, uncomfortably for a moment. "No... I don't want to."

She looked back at Eathan. “He doesn't know your name. He simply spoke to you in a way that made you hear your name. He cannot tell me this, because he does not actually have the knowledge."

The creature croaked a bit. "Your ruining my fun."

She stared at it fiercely. "...your idea of 'fun' would be to prey on innocent babes, asleep in their cribs!"

"I'm quickly starting to think that karma will understand."

The creature looked utterly insulted. "Lies! What a scoundrel and a liar you are... listen to her lie!" Thecreature looked back at Eathan, genuinely disgruntled. "She's obviously trying to undermine my reputation, in your eyes. She lies! Like a rug!"

"Ok... The tell me no lie and answer my question... How many fingers am I holding up?" He put his hand up, with 3 fingers.

The creature's voice seemed to shift slightly; it's tone was imperious. "Three pillars of the firmament hold fast the roof of the world; three sources of divine inspiration. The urge to nurture; to discover; and the urge, most strongly of all, to create. These form the foundation of the heavenly aspects, and so it is with the mortal realm. But these three aspects exist within the legions of the damned as well; for every urge to nurture, there is an instinct to subjugate. For every urge to discover, there is a fear of the unknown. And for every urge to create... greater still the urge to destroy. These great, and mighty pillars... this mighty triumvirate of damnation; this will be your downfall. This is the legion of three that seeks to defeat you utterly; it's bones are dust; it's skin is stone; it's blood... the very ESSENCE of fire. And it's eye... the great, glowing, watchful eye, awash with the flares of the sun, and surrounded by the swarm of dead and dying birds... the creature that walks upon these three pillars hunts you... It's title is 'Forever Undermining The Disc Of Golden Light.' And like the ninth wave of heaven, all in flames, it shall fall upon you.”

He looked back to his mystic companion. "Did you understand any of that?"

Adleobahn shook her head. "I do not speak that language, but i'm guessing it was rather long and self absorbed."

The creature spoke again, addressing Eathan directly. "You have heard his tortured cries, shouted impotently across the waters. His name is Ash Rend, the Unrelenting. He is a prince of hell, and he walks the earth." The demon resumed examining it's claws, this time with a sense of grimness.

TalonStarblade: "Why do you tell me this, little demon?"

MechanistoX: [Demon Will Roll: 12 of ?-3 = Failure]

"y... you... f... four..." The creature trembled and shivered slightly, as though with great effort. It cradled it's severed neck-stump in it's hands, and rocked back and forth rhythmicaly. "Four... fingers... four... fingers..."

"I believe we're done now," he said, turning back to her. "How do we send this thing home?"

Adleobahn eyed him critically. "What... was it saying? Anything specific, or just fevered rantings?"

A wet and sloppy gargling sound came from the demon again, and it resumed it's disgusting retching.

"Very specific. At first it spoke of three pillars of of the firmament... The divine pillars of inspiration... Then it spoke of three pillars of damnation... But this hit me the most... 'You have heard his tortured cries, shouted impotently across the waters. His name is Ash Rend, the Unrelenting. He is a prince of hell, and he walks the earth.'"

Adleobahn stared, looking surprised. "Creation, Discovery, and Nurturing...?"

"It also said this, before the last part. 'These great, and mighty pillars... this mighty triumvirate of damnation; this will be your downfall. This is the legion of three that seeks to defeat you utterly; it's bones are dust; it's skin is stone; it's blood... the very ESSENCE of fire. And it's eye... the great, glowing, watchful eye, awash with the flares of the sun, and surrounded by the swarm of dead and dying birds... the creature that walks upon these three pillars hunts you... It's title is 'Forever Undermining The Disc Of Golden Light.' And like the ninth wave of heaven, all in flames, it shall fall upon you.’ Yeah, those were the three it spoke of."

She frowned, mentally chewing on some thought. "'Forever undermining the disc of golden light...' that may truthfully be the name of a demon... but surely even a truth spoke by a demon would only facilitate some greater lie...?"

The creature stopped it's retching for a moment. "See? See how her eyes and ears are closed to me... she hears truth, and still she brands me a liar!"

"Maybe, but that description was pretty accurate to the thing that we saw destroy the that port. And even sometimes a lie, will carry a true with it, to make it stronger."

She frowned. "Perhaps, but it would not reveal any truth that did not facilitate it's own ends. It can't even answer a simple question!"

The demon shook a fist, looking agitated. "BAUGH! The color of the sky... the number of fingers... I am no youngling! Give me a test worthy of honor... not these games!"

It fluttered off it's eyeball for a moment, but kept it's tailcoiled tightly aroudn it. "Truthfulness in words is one thing... truthfulness in spirit, is quite another!"

"It also TRIED not to lie."

She frowned. "What does that have to do with anything!? It still lied!"

"If it was impossible to deny its true nature, why would it try?"

"Buh...! wha...?" Adleobahn flailed for words for a second. "It won't always tell you the literal truth... it just seeks to decieve and mislead! If it can do that by SEEMING to resist it's nature, IT WILL!" She sounded exasperated. "Why am I even having this conversation... you know nothing of demons! Nothing of magic, even!"

"Then what do we do with it?"

The demon croaked a bit. "Give me a true test. One of meaning to you. I will give you a truth... and YOU shall test it for yourself."

The woman in red frowned. "Idiot... we should just kill it quickly."

The creature snapped. "It is his choice! Not yours."

"Calm yourself. Take a few deep breaths. You're right, I don't know much about Demons, or magic. But what if what you know is wrong?"

She frowned. "My order is well versed in their nature... we deal with them frequently, usually on the delivering end of an exorcism."

The creature flapped it's wings, wetly. "Then does it stand to reason you gain your information from us directly? And why would we act truthfully for you in this regard?"

Adleobahn glared at the demon, and snarled, shouting sharply. "SILENCE, CUR! We've no need for your mind games!"

The demon eyed Eathan. "The woman is beyond reasoning with me. But I will tell you a truth... I cannot destroy you. You brought me here through innocence... I can cause you no harm. Steal your goods; burn your house; slay your friends, yes... but I cannot harm you. Place your hand within the circle, and see. You will not disrupt the barrier."

Adleobahn frowned. "You'd have to be mad to listen to it.”

The demon merely shrugged.

"Interesting. Would the circle be broken, for my hand to cross?"

The demon interrupted. "If it would, she would not allow it."

She nodded, grudgingly. "Do not touch the chalk lines. The slightest smudge will release it. But be warned... if you give it your hand, I GARUANTEE you will pull back a blackened, disease-riddled stump. You'll be begging me to take your arm off at the shoulder."

The demon eyed the woman. "What will you do if I take his hand hostage?" he remained silent. "You'll kill him... won't you? And you know it."

She frowned, looking down with a blush.

"Perhaps I might actually be crazy, but for the second time in my life I have faith in something. And that's rare with me."

She gave him a smoldering glare; she was obviously frustrated beyond words. "Go ahead... waste your hand. But if he decided to possess you, I will cut you through the heart before you can turn around."
"Stranger things have actually happened in my life. And I'll take both chances. So let's find out." His hand crossed the threshhold, while his eyes sought to see this creature's true soul. Many tails have spoken of the Oni, seeking things other than their nature. He hoped some of those legends were true.

The creature slowly floated up, still perched on it's disembodied eye, until it was level with his hand. It was a very slow, deliberate movement. Eventually, the demon buzzed it's wings, lifted up slightly, and floated over his wrist; it lowered untill it's long, needle-like claws closed around his forearm. The 'talons' were, quite unexpectedly, soft and supple, and had a gentle grasp. The creature was a little cold, and dry, but hardly wet or slimy as it sounded. It was surprisingly heavy for such a thin, starved-looking creature. it shifted it's perch slightly, eventually settling into place. It's tail still touched the eye, which glanced at Eathan. "Are we satisfied yet?"

"I've never actually touched a Demon before. This is definitely a first. I have no wish to bring harm to this creature, but I’d wish to return it home."

"This strange desire to go home... why do you apply it to me?" The creature shifted it's weight a bit. "The scenery in hell is pretty depressing... and satan is a hell of a boss to work for." He swore, the eye was smirking.

"Satan?" Now, his curiosity was piqued. "Did you ever meet Gabriel Or Michael?"

The demon's eye tilted down a bit. "We don't usualy like to talk about them... but they do drop by for tuesday card nights now and again. Ezekiel and Uriel, though... they know how to have fun. Why, just the other day..."

Just then, a silvery blade nudged over Eathan's shoulder, pointing directly at the demon. "I don't think you understand the gravity of the situation, little imp..."

"I guess we're gonna have to change the subject."

The imp blinked. "Alright then... the woman needs an excuse not to slaughter me... how about a riddle? I have an excellent one in mind."

"I'm open to suggestions?"

"Alright then... What has no name, wears a cloak, left the city to walk on the beach... and hasn't come back yet?" The demon waved a hand. "Wait wait... there's more. The thing I'm thinking of was also captured by an otherworldly creature, and imprisoned in a hidden lair."

The demon was quiet for a moment. "...you only get three guesses."

Eathan looked over to Adleobahn. "Wasn't he due back by now?"

She frowned and nodded.

"Since I'm the only one who can lead you to him... I suggest you take me with you. Do we have a deal?"

Adleobahn lowered her sword, looking positively enraged.

"One sec... I don't take him as the type to be late, unless something's wrong. Which leaves us with needing to figure out what to do with our little friend. Cause my gut says, he'd not lying. There IS something else, I'm under orders not to charge off on my own. I'll have to tell my Captain. Where the heck is Buzya and Vesper, anyways?"

Adleobahn gave Eathan a Severe Look. "Do you intend to collaborate with this...thing?"

"I'm still debating," he said flatly.

She looked at the demon, and spoke flatly. "Dearest little imp... do you intend to lead this person on a wild goose-chase, eventually leading him to an untimely demise, so that you may feast on his rotting corpse, and torment his soul for eternity?"

The demon considered. "Absolutely, unquestionably, undeniably... yes. And remember, demons always lie." The mocking tone was rather pronounced.

She eyed Eathan. "You deserve each other... but If I suspect your folly has harmed anyone else, I will see you brought to justice by my own hand. Agreed?"

"Agreed," he said to her specifically. "However, before I can let let you out, there's gonna have to be a few ground rules you'll need to be pacted to, before I'll accept any deal with you, my little friend."

The demon was silent for a moment; his voice had clearly drained of all trace of levity. "...go on..."

"Firstly, by no direct action, inaction, or conspiracy, can or will you bring any harm to myself, my friends, allies, or the innocent in general, nor harm or take a life, unless it is in defense. You can tell no lie nor refuse to answer me or my allies, and you will come to me when I call, no matter how far you are, which will require SOME name to call you by, and you'll need to disguise yourself. In return, you will be able remain on this plane, and explore and experience this world and what it has to offer. There are ancient tales of demons repenting and foreswearing their allegience to Hell and it's rulers, turning to the side of the light. Should you truly wish to foreswear yourself from them and the path of the damned, then we'll figure things out from there. Are these terms acceptible?"

A pregnant silence hung in the air for a minute. "They are not acceptable... they are uttely outrageous, given my nature. But I will accept, under one condition. I know a blood pact would be against your morals, so instead, I must demand that you accept me as a familiar. Many of the unreasonable demands you place upon me will be satisfied by this condition... and it carries many intangible benefits for me... but you accept the consequences entirely of your own volition. And lasty, I shal share no information, nor answer any query in regards to Heaven, Hell, the afterworld, the nature of reality, the meaning of life, or ANY other form of divine, infernal, or supernaturally essential knowledge. Nor will I impart any knowledge not immediately useful or relevant to your situation."

"While I understand, I can not accept that either. I thank you for what information you've given already, but I feel I must procede onward on my own." He leaned his head to Adleobahn, "How do we send him home?"

Adleobahn drew her sword without hesitation. The demon seemed nonplussed. "Well, now... there's no need to be hasty here. Why are you allowed to make all the unreasonable demands? What part did you find unreasonable?"

Adleobahn shrugged. "The part where you were generating sound, mayhap?"

"If I am to be accountable, it will be for what I and I alone do. By act and will. I do apologize, but I can not walk the world that way, and to be honest, I have no interest in a familiar. So here, I'm afraid our paths must seperate. My regards to the Arc-Angels."

The demon fluttered it's wings, trying to stay as mobile as possible; clearly it's greatest advantage. "The consequences to yourself alone... not to whatever I do to others! If people end up lynching you for harboring a demon, and I fail to save you despite my best efforts, that's your own damn fault! Satisfied!?"

Eathan withdrew his arm, now that it was free. "Perhaps at some future juncture I may be ready for such a course. But right now, I am not. I am still finding my path with Magic, and that I must follow. Fare thee well."

"To think I let you... Wait!" Adleoban's sword made a few quick motions, which the demon dodged, barely. "...damn... you... I accept! I ACCEPT! I agree to your original deal, unmodified... now HONOR it!"

"Your name?"

The demon desperately ducked another swipe. "NOT SO SHE CAN HEAR IT!"

"Adleobahn? Please back off."

She eyed him a moment, and seemed to consider. She then sniffed slightly, and headed for the exit. "You make a deal with a demon... your on your own from here on out. There's nothing more I can do for you."

"...crazed lunatic... mindless zealot... bloodthirsty crusader..." The demon muttered, softly. "...you know, it's people like HER that make the world easy prey for MY kind. Never think on their own." He muttered a bit more, and settled back onto his eyeball. "Right then... how do you wish to make this official?"

"Written contract."

"Look... I'm going to be uncharacteristically straight-foreward about something. Think of it as a gesture of goodwill, to save us both some time. Once you know my true name, you will have more power over me than any wizard has EVER had over a familiar. You don't NEED my permission, or my consent, once you have it.A contract of any kind is irrelevant to you; it would only serve to protect me while I'm under your care. And your contract does NOTHING to protect me. Please consider that."

"Tell me. A mage with a dark and evil heart, what might you expect of them to ask of you? Given the same circumstances..."

The demon paused. "A selfish mage would protect me from capture or subversion... to keep my knowledge of his actions a secret. Even this is more than you offer."

"And how might he do that?"

"...he would force me to become his familiar... which essentially includes all the demands you made. I'm detecting a striking similarity."

He sighed. "I can see where you come from, but I can not simply think of myself in this. My allies will be affected by this decision as well. I have two thousand plus years of press regarding demons also affecting this decision. You have proven that you can step away from nature, but you have also demonstrated how strong that nature is. Everyone I may encounter, and even people I may never meet, may well be affected by this. So of course, I must consider it greatly."

The demon was silent for several minutes. It was a rather long silence for both of them. Eventually, it spoke. "There is only one thing that matters here, I fear. You wish to find your friend, and I wish to anchor myself to a mortal, for the foreseeable future. You cannot find your friend without me... no more than I can escape this trap without your help.Can you agree that these are the most vital facts?"

"On that, I can agree. Let me talk with my mentor a moment."

"Wait... you have a mentor? This is unexpected... you didn't tell me there was someone else I could talk to."

He smirked for a moment. "I'll be right back." Outside of the cell block area, he leaned aganst the wall. "Vesper, Buzya, where the hell are you guys?"

The moment he opened the cell area's armored door, he was met with Buzya, Adleobahn, Vesper, Kenery, a dozen well-armed members of the ship's crew, and the entire standing militia for this garrison post. They all jumped to attention as the door opened, readying weapons, but remained quiet. Buzya whispered, as she was the closest person to him. "So... how's it going in there?"

"Tiring. I've got him somewhat on the rails, but he's negotiating."

Adleobahn shrugged. "I can always cut his head off if you prefer."

"You DO know what happened in there, don't you?"

Vesper coughed. "According to little miss red here, a failed spell resulted in a powerful demonic hellspawn being unleashed. You then started debating semantics with it, which allowed it to talk you into believing it's lies."

"Lies perhaps. But answer me this, as anyone seen ANY sign of our cloaked friend?"

Everyone looked around for a moment. One of the guards spoke. "Boros saw him last... they were heading for your ship's landing camp. They were attacked by some sort of... something, and Boros barely escaped. He was unable to rescue your cloaked friend; whatever it was, it was concerned only with him."

Vesper nodded. "We only learned of this half a candle-mark ago... when Adleobahn mustered the guards, we decided it might possibly be connected. Better safe than sorry."

"Apparently he wasn't lying when he said it then. An outworlder took him. Have we even heard from the recon group? He's saying that we won't find him... Not without his assistance. He's said enough truths to make me wonder, if he's not lying now."

Vesper shrugged. "Actually, I once met a demon that never lied. Not once. The truth is always far more destructive, I find... and it's that much harder to ignore. Though he's right about one thing; if we have to search this island without any clues, we'll be searching for many long years. It's a large island."

"It had accepted my terms, because she was about to run him through. But he's got reservations. My deal doesn't really give him any 'protections.' He's offering to become a familiar, in exchange for his help in finding our cloaked friend. Essencially, he wants a residence Visa."

There was a pause, as Vesper, Buzya, Kenery and Adleobahn shared a look. Vesper leaned towards Eathan. "...a what?"

"The countries of my world use 'passports' to authorize people to step between countries. They're also call 'Visa's.' Different types include, visitor, work and resdent Visas... Which is an authorized permission to stay in the country. He doesn't want to go back. He wants to anchor himself to this world."

Vesper nodded. "Well, most demons summoned here do so because they're already struggling to get here in the first place. That stands to reason. So... what's your concern?"

"2000 years of bad press back home, and her reactions to it all."

"Well..." Vesper considered. "...have you ever met a demon before?"

"This is the first one who was in a 'talking' mood. Oh, did she tell you about the pillars and what he called the only who took out the port?"

Adleobahn frowned. "Who's side are you on, anyways?"

Vesper waved for silence. "Alright... Do you want me to go in with you and settle this?"

"Perhaps. He'll likely off his services to you too. But I wanna get you feel for it, you being my mentor and all."

MechanistoX: [Eathan Fear Roll: 10 of 14-2 = Sucess]

Everybody jumped a bit as a deep throated, watery roar echoed through the room; the piecing call resonated sharply through the silent guardroom, and several of the guards almost broke into a run. Everyone remaiend utterly silent after that, fearing what had happened.

"Damn, I knew I was forgetting some thing." He turned and headed back into the Cell block. "By the way... The translation spell isn't active."

He noticed Ironlung, looking unutterably angry (yet still sporting the same static grin), sitting silently in the corner of his cell. There was a rather large splash of water on the opposite wall, and the demon was now sopping wet, and looking more miserable than usual. Only Vesper, Buzya, and Adleobahn had followed him into the room. The demon was busily wringing his ragged self dry, muttering quietly. He looked at Eathan, grumpily. "Yes, what is it?"

"I guess you startled him."

The demon paused to look at him, and shook it's wings one last time. "I don't agree to your demands. If you want my help, you'll have to take me just like any other familiar. I'm truly sorry, but... you had your chance to haggle before. To much work on my part, for too little reason on yours. Final offer. What do you say?"

"Vesper?"

Vesper eyed him, sighed, and put a hand on his shoulder. "Technically, you're already responsible for him, and his actions. When one meddles with magic, one meddles with forces one does not fully understand. It's entirely up to you. I guess you might want to think about it overnight though, if the demon isn't going anywhere."

"The question is, do we really have that much time?"

The sound of drawn still rang in the air; Adleobahn held her sword between her and the demon... except now, she looked very, very concerned. The demon cleared it's severed, headless throat, politely. "I want you all to look down at the ground now... go ahead..." he gestured downward. It was only then that they noticed the pentacle had been half washed away by a spray of water.

He looked, fearing he knew what to expect.

Vesper immediately drew a wand, and Buzya hid behind him.

"So then. Yes... or no?" As the moments dragged on, the demon seemed to grow bored and disinterested.

Eathan sighed, and stepped up. "Yes," he said. "I will accept you as a familiar."

The tiny creature gently floated over, perched on it's disembodied, lidless eye. It offered a curt bow. "As you command, master... so shall I obey...might we have a moment alone?" The others slowly filed out, closing the door behind them.

It was a strong risk, but Vesper was right, he was already responsible. Now he had to deal with it. Eathan waited, wondering what to expect.

The demon paused, seeming to appraise him differently. "In my native language, my name means 'Herald of the grasping vein of corruption within the temple of words.' It is Alaphorkendaz. This true name is my essence; you must never speak it aloud, even to yourself. My common name is 'Slow Blood the Defiler.' You will use this common name to invoke me instead.” The demon paused, patiently. "Do you understand?"

"I understand."

The demon nodded it's neck stump. "Good." There was a quiet moment. "You’re not regretting this already, I hope?"

"No," he said. "Sometimes, there are no real choices. Will you accept me refering to you as 'BD?' Just for casual conversation?"

The demon considered. "You may call me whatever you wish... Slow Blood the Defiler is only needed for invocations and such. Do you have any preferred names?"

"Eathan was the name my family gave me. I've never really liked the nicknames I was given. They were not nice. Eathan will be fine."

"Eathan." The demon nodded it's neck-stump again, and shifted it's oily, membranous wings. "Well! Ready to introduce me to the crew?" The eyeball it perched on glistened wetly, it's veins throbbing unsettlingly.

"Well, you've already kind of met Ironlung..." Eathan stalled for a moment. "What do you know about the Triton Priest we're seeking?"

"Oh, him..." the demon said, suggestively. "I know where he is. Though he was in no immediate danger, last I saw of him."

"That's good to know. Let's go." After collecting his Bokken and Rune stones, he walked over to the door, and led BD out to the others.

The moment they stepped through the door, the entire crowd recoiled cautiously, weapons ready. Vesper nodded. "Sorted out, then...?"

"His services far out weighed the risks. You may call him BD. BD, this is Vesper and Buzya, my teachers on this world. You already know Adleobahn."

Vesper gave a curt nod, while Buzya offered only the briefest of curtseys. Adleobahn mimed drawing a dagger across her neck. Buzya seemed the most affected. "Wow... he's rather... well, beautiful. Not what I expected at all."

BD's voice seemed appreciative. "Young lady, you have a fine and discriminating taste indeed for exotic familiars!"

"Well, the conversations during the rest of our voyage should be interesting. Have we heard anything

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:26 am

The cloaked man slowly came to, as the cobwebs of slumber began to thin. Strangely, the rest was both refreshing and revitalizing... and yet seemed clearly unnatural. He wasn't sure how much time passed, but he eventually found himself awake, lying on a hard rock surface that was smooth and slick. The air was moist and wet... but not a salty moisture.

When he looked around, he realized he was in a circular cavern; it was somewhat elongated, with a fast-flowing stream flowing through it length wise; it was fed by a waterfall, emerging from a hole in the celing against the wall. The cave was perhaps twenty feet wide, and ten high; spacious, but hardly massive. The air was a little chilled, but still comfortable. The light was... well, the light seemed to come from under the water, and there was enough to see with.

The most important thing he heard, however, were voices. Ordinary human voices. He wasn't alone.

SRGPI

Unread postby SRGPI » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:33 am

The cloaked man glanced around his surroundings, trying to get a bearing on his position. He also noticed a lighter burden on his waist, and he figured quickly his saber was missing. The cloaked man took a few steps around, looking to find the source of the noise.

Mechanisto

To painful... imprisonment-related boredom?

Unread postby Mechanisto » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:47 am

The cave was one large corridor, so there wasn't exactly any place to hide or duck behind. The voices came from the far end of the cave, where a group of people were seated in a disorganized ring. one of them noticed him, lit only by the dim shimmering reflected from the celing, and immediately tensed; the others reacted as well, standing defencively.

"I'd identify yourself, if I were you..." came a female voice. He recognized it immediately as Meredith's.

SRGPI

Re: To painful... imprisonment-related boredom?

Unread postby SRGPI » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:50 am

The cloaked man raised an eyebrow.

"So this is what happened to the scouting party that got sent out a bit earlier."

The cloaked man took a deeper look at his surroundings, to see any possible exits or viewing holes.

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:04 am

Meredith's tone changed completely. "Oh, you then... I was almost hoping we'd see you or the captain, but this wasn't what I had in mind." She sat down, and gestured for the others to calm down, which they did.

She seemed to note his searchign eyes. "The only two ways are the waterfall, and the drainage source. The waterfall's too high, and far too slippery, and the drainage seems to be a series of cracks in the floor; each no wider than a finger." She gestured at the pool at their end of the subteranean corridor.

"Any news from outside? I had a suspicion that things wouldn't be boring for long."

SRGPI

Unread postby SRGPI » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:15 pm

The cloaked man's eyes met with Meredith's eyes.

"The fishman that Eathan tamed has been brought to the city...he's currently held in safe custody until evidence of his allegations against Lokemus are confirmed...which is the main reason why I decided to go look for you. Do you know where the shaman is in here?"

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:58 pm

Meredith sighed, stood, and walked to the far end of the cavern, where the the stream's source fell from the top of the wall. She stood near the side, and gestured in, unceremoniously.

The falling water was clear as glass, and cold as sin. The back of the wall behind it was solid ice, with a waving, glistening pattern that gave it a natural beauty. Under the flow, surrounded by cascades of ice and half submerged in the stream, a figure was frozen solid; it resembled Ironlung, though this specimine was far less grizzled and armored, as well as much smaller. It was suspended in a posture that suggested serenity. Many of his fins and ridges were adorned with ornaments.

Meredith tapped her foot. "The ice around him is at least a foot thick. We can't tell if it's alive... but it looks a little too serene for my tastes. He certainly isn't going anywhere."

SRGPI

Unread postby SRGPI » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:26 pm

The cloaked man looked through the ice at the frozen fishman.

"Curses. In this cold of a cave, we'll have to chisel it through slowly, when we actually get out of here anyways."

The cloaked man leaned against a wall.

"Well, nothing much is going to happen until Eathan figures out what happened, I guess."

WhiteWerefox

More imprisonment related shenanigans

Unread postby WhiteWerefox » Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:10 pm

Ethan's ear just barely caught some raucous activity outside the room he was in, and a group of six passed by the door.

First to pass was a guardsman, taking a statement from an irate tavern keeper.

Next came two guards carrying Dalis by the arms. She was simultaneously trying to bite their hands, throwing kicks at them, and screeching profanities in a variety of languages. Neither guard seemed particularly inhibited by her actions, and wore a "business as usual" expression.

Vesper looked at the pandemonium passing by their room, then looked at Adleobahn with a casual shrug. "Ah... she's not with us."

Lastly came a guard carrying a saber, a dozen light daggers, two long knives, a rapier, a short cloak that had recently seen use in combat, a beat-up but sturdy flute and two bottles of fine brandy. Slung over his shoulder was a fiddle case.

(OOC: After two SCA events, a candle lit dinner and dancing with my girlfriend, a week on Prince Edward Island, another week at the parents house, some cross stitching, some chainmaille, two and a half seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on DVD, half a sketchbook filled with stuff, three new CD's and some quality time with my Lego collection, I'm back.)

Talon Starblade

Re: More imprisonment related shenanigans

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:34 am

Eathan looked at Dalis, and gave a heavy sigh. Then he heard Vesper. //You've gotta be kidding me,// he thought. This was not going to be a good scene. He also strongly hoped Vesper was being facitious, because as a statement, it's so transparent, it's invisible. He had to find a way of helping her, and fast. "May I ask what happened?"

WhiteWerefox

Unread postby WhiteWerefox » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:19 pm

The guard carrying weapons stopped to address Ethan. "Seems there's a dispute between the rat and the tavernkeeper. She got hired to music from lunch to closing. I was there the afternoon, actually, and she's as good a bard as I've ever seen. Played for hours, and on break she'd be telling stories and slight of hand stuff. Impressive enough, and it livened up the place, you know?

"The tavernkeeper wasn't all rosy about her tom foolery, tho. She was crawling around in the rafters and under the tables, which he didn't like much at all. He figured she was picking pockets, what with some of the slight of hand she was doing. All that's not enough to call the guards out, but she was snitching drink from some of the passed out patrons. THat's not so bad, since the drink is paid for and the staff would have thrown it out anyway. Finally he gets fed up tho, and calls in the guard and says she's drinking underage. Turns out, she's only fourteen. She says rats like her are adults by fourteen. " The guard shrugged. " So it's gonna be taken up with the magistrate to decide on.

"Anyway, she'll be sitting in the brig till it's decided on."

Adleobahn waved as she headed into the meeting room with the rest. "Races with shorter lifespans mature earlier. Release her, and return her belongings."

The guard nodded briskly. "Yes your honor." The guards immediately put her down, and started returning her belongings.

Adleobahn looked at Vesper. "I haven't seen her before... Is she a member of your crew?"

Vesper bit his lip in thought. "Well... by association, yes. But, she's not actually on the payroll, and she's not actually a certified sailor."

"Well, in that case..." Adleobahn turned back to the guards. Detain her on the grounds of carying unliscenced weapons... and get a bard in to confirm her profession. It shouldn't take long."

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:10 am

Eathan walked up to Dalis, and knelt down beside her. "Are you alright?"

WhiteWerefox

Unread postby WhiteWerefox » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:08 pm

Dalis sat up in the cell she had been left in.

"I'm fine... I get thrown in jail a lot." She sat back. "Hey... where's the cloaked guy? I figured he'd at lest have stopped by to say hi."

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:11 pm

Eathan's expression shifted further to the "not so happy" ide of things. "That would be a little tough. Apparently he's been taken captive."

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:02 pm

"Captive?" She squeeked. She lept up and poked her head through the bars. "What the hell are you worrying about me here in jail for? Go find him!"

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:56 am

"Well, I'd rather have you along with us. Besides, the Captain specifically ordered me NOT to go out on my own, and I fully intend not to. We NEED to inform him of what's happened, and find out if the recon party has returned with anything yet. I have the feeling we're gonna be up for a major conflict. you up for kicking a little tail?"

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs