Night at the Childs Manor (On indefinite hiatus)

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
Endesu
ラムレッダ

Night at the Childs Manor (On indefinite hiatus)

Unread postby Endesu » Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:48 pm

<span style="color:red;">Fall, 1995.</span>

The Mistress of Childs Manor, long known in the community for her benevolent work with children, has extended a boon to the disadvantaged children there, offering any four a place to live in the Manor, where they will receive food and clothing far above what the orphanage could ever offer, and an education that would cost other children millions of dollars to attain.

Some time has finally passed, and on one eventful day in October, the four children have finally been selected amidst the many there.

Krista Mathers, Alicia Willows, Rodney Drebin, Tara Wilson.

The day after, Mistress Childs comes to the door of the Orphanage to collect the children, and the headmistress goes to awake each from their own, individual rooms.

It begins..

Edited by: Crawling Reshiki at: 8/22/03 2:54 pm

Ajil6

Re: Night at the Childs Manor (Closed)

Unread postby Ajil6 » Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:00 pm

Alicia laid back on her bed, staring at the ceiling.

So wow. I'm adopted. Finally.

That thought had been going through her head over and over and over again ever since she had about being adopted by some rich old bat. Of course, that thought had given way to other thoughts, the one second only to the one of adoption was a little less healthy, and possibly negative.

Cash. Money. Gold. Dollars. I'm so robbing this place blind and leaving..."

She squeezed her stress ball once more. For once, she was having second thoughts about robbing someone, and that didn't come around often. The house was probably beautiful, large, and probably filled with an experience that was more positive than an experience in women's prison.

Squeeze. Squeeze. Squeeze.

She threw the stressball up against the cieling, then caught it as it fell and stuffed it in her pocket. She hopped off her bed and began to pack her meager possesions.

So wow. I'm adopted, finally.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=ajil6>Ajil6</A] at: 4/6/03 6:37:15 pm

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:33 pm

Rodney, meanwhile, was in the process of waking up. Slowly. Mornings were never really his thing, despite the fact that today he got to leave the orphanage for good.

About time, too. I'm seventeen already....a few more months, and they'd be throwing me outta here. And, well, I've got no place to go. I'd be screwed. Why'd my parents have to go and get involved with all that stuff with the mafia anyway? And why the hell did they think they could screw them over like that?

Ah....it doesn't matter anymore. I guess it worked out to be a good thing I landed in this orphanage anyway. From the sounds of things, this lady's real nice, and rich too. I guess I could do a lot worse.

I miss my parents.

He blinked, rubbed his eyes, and sat up.

Ah, screw it.

He laid back down, pulled the covers over his head, and promptly fell back asleep. No matter, though. He had packed up his things last night, and was all ready to go anyway.

Kotoki

Unread postby Kotoki » Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:41 pm

Tara curled herself deeper into her blanket and attempted to sleep for a few more minutes. Then, remembering that today was the day she would leave for the Childs Manor.

She had weighed the decision carefully in her mind before agreeing. Tara *liked* the orphanage. No adults payed much attention to her, which meant a far greater degree of freedom to pursue her... hobbies.

She actually had some of the littler children trained by now. They wouldn't even think about telling anyone that she sometimes set their hair on fire or stomped on their hands with her good boots or ripped their nails off with tweezers. They probably pissed themselves at night just thinking about her.

The thought delighted her. "You're look so good, I could just eat you up," she whispered to herself with a grin before bursting into laughter.

One thing had changed her mind- the money. It could never be said of Tara that she was one to refuse life in the lap of luxury. Besides, she had the whole rest of her life for fun. And some of the other children sent to the Manor might prove quite entertaining.

Tara sat back on her hands and waited, having already packed her few important possesions the night before. It wouldn't be long now.

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:02 pm

Krista frowned down at her pillow. She hadn't slept at all the night before.

"Stupid rats..." she mumbled before she dug through the small blue suitcase which was her's. She found her little green monkey, Naners. She wrapped it's little velcro hands around her neck and made her bed. She took the thing everywhere she went.

I wonder if the old lady is nice. Does she have a lot of toys at her house? I wonder who else was picked? I hope Tara wasn't one of them...she scares me. Her thoughts were rather collected for a child so young.

In a sudden fit of anger she grabbed the nearest thing to her, which happened to be a small table lamp, and threw it against the wall. Shards of glass and bits of metal went flying every where.

No one came running, no one called up the stairs. Every one in the orphange knew of Krista's tantrums.

I miss mommy...

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Departure

Unread postby Endesu » Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:28 pm

Mistress Childs waited for them at the top of the stairs as they finally left their rooms, complete with whatever items they had decided to take with them.

She was a middle-aged woman, obviously aged by the years: her hair was whitish-blonde, with an emphasis on the white: only the very foundation of her hair strands retained much blondeness. Her face retained several wrinkles, some more noticeable then others, and all of this underlined two grey, tired eyes. Flesh tone was a somewhat pale one, yet still retained some natural color. Perhaps she spent too much time indoors?

Her attire was befitting that of one in the 'rich' class, as all of her clothing was silk-fitted, well-trimmed, and had nary a wrinkle or lag. Her overcoat alone, a fur-trimmed, purple ordeal, looked as if it could cost over $1000 alone, an instant temptation to any among the four who would be tempted to take a quick nab.

"It is good to see you, children. I have yet to get acquainted with all of you, but I'm sure that on the way there we will have enough time to get to know everything about each other." She smiled warmly at them, her eyes temporarily filling with a spark of life before receding into a tired shade. "I hope that you are all ready to go?"

Kotoki

Re: Departure

Unread postby Kotoki » Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:38 am

Tara simply gave the woman a shy, sweet smile and a nod.

'Shit,' she thought, 'look at her clothes. Unbelievable. Those could feed a family for generations. And now *I* get the chance for all that. This is so worth it.'

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:00 am

Rodney finally was able to drag himself out of bed. He stretched, pulled on his jeans, and stood up. He brushed his teeth, pulled on a shirt, and started looking around for his jacket.

Where did I put it...? Oh right!

It was rare for him to actually hang his jacket up, but he had, in an attempt to keep the room clean, as he wouldn't be using it further. He threw it on, and shouldered his backpack on his way out of his room.

He stopped, and turned around, for one last look.

Geez....I've been here for so long....Hard to believe I'm actually leaving...

With that final thought, he turned and walked towards the Mistress Childs, half smiling.

"Yeah, I'm ready to get outta here..."

Ajil6

Unread postby Ajil6 » Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:17 am

Alicia squeezed her stressball behind her back. The woman's clothing impressed as far as being snazzly dressed could ever hope for. Which wasn't much.

The old woman seemed to be a pleasent sort of person, old, and possibly musty with old-person smell, but most likely a pleasent person in the long run.

She remained silent as the woman spoke, only affirming anything that was said with a slight nod. She shifted her light backpack uncomfortably on her back. The uneven wieghts of her few possesions made the bag feel uncomfortable. She hadn't packed much, just a change clothes or two, two or so rocks that she thought looked 'neat', and finally, a small pen-knife that couldn't cut hot butter, and was useless unless she particularly thought someone's eye needed to be severed.

It was the rocks that did it, they were heavy rocks.

She looked over at her companions with a bored stare, then back to the old woman.

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:00 pm

Krista hugged Naners to her chest and smiled. When she noticed Alicia she edged closer to the old woman. She never made friends here at the orphanage, she was afraid of the other children, they were so much older than she was.

"Hello ma'am." She said quietly yet politely.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Transportation

Unread postby Endesu » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:18 am

Mistress Childs nodded to each. "It's good to see that you are all prepared so well.. such good children, making preparations so well." She smiled again, giving off a brief sense of warmth as she did so. "I'm glad you are ready to go, as our transportation is all ready waiting for us."

As she led them down the stairs and to the limosuine that awaited them outside, she began talking to them about the long, illustrious history the Childs family had had as philanthropists in the local community, and how this, in turn, helped fund the family for years to come. Curiously, she spoke little of her own present state in the family record, nor did she say anything of any other family she had to continue the legacy onward, save a brief mention of 'two darlings' when finishing up her family history topic.

Before any of the four could pose a question on any of this, they had come to the car, and Childs had opened the door for them, to the back seats. When each child had finally settled into their own respective seat on the very back, she pulled into the front seat just ahead of them, next to the chaffeur. She silently indicated the direction to the Childs Manor, and from there she was silent.

Apparently, she had forgotten to ask about the children themselves..

Ajil6

Re: Transportation

Unread postby Ajil6 » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:48 am

Squeeze. Squeeze. Squeeze.

Alicia looked at the elderly woman off and on during the trip, as well as the other children. She honestly didn't know what to say to her would-be brothers and sisters at all. Nor to the eldarly woman. After a moment, she finally decided to break the silence.

"So..." She said, her voice coming out deliberatly slow. "Who are these... Darlings?" She asked, not really expecting an answer. "You didn't really into too much detail."

She didn't wait for an answer before looking at the other children in the group, making extra note of Krista's presence in the car. Krista was probably the youngest of all the children present, she made a note in her mind to pay careful attention to the girl in the days to come. As the transition would probably be hardest for her, personally.

She crushed her stessball as she waited for a reply.

Kotoki

Unread postby Kotoki » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:55 am

Tara looked her back straight in the eye, mouth curving upwards in a decidedly unsettling smile. She decided after a moment that it probably wasn't worth the effort, then pulled out a well-worn book detailing the Spanish Iquisition and began to read.

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:07 am

Krista hadn't payed much attention to the old woman. She was staring out the car window watching the trees, other cars, houses, businesses and such things going by. This was the farthest she had ever been from "home". She didn't know wather or not to be happy that she finally had a real home or if she should be afraid of the old woman. One thing she did know, stay away from Tara, she had heard the horror stories form some of the other children.

"Are we there yet?"

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:16 am

Rodney looked around the car. He had never been in a limo before, though he had certainly seen them from the outside. It still hadn't really settled in with him that this was how he was going to be living from now on, more or less. Didn't matter to him a whole lot, though. He was just glad to finally be out of the ophanage.

Being infinitely more comfortable talking to people his age, he turned to Alicia, noting the fact that she had been squeezing that ball since probably before they left.

"Nervous about something?"

Ajil6

Unread postby Ajil6 » Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:28 am

Alicia blinked and turned to Rodney, then shook her head. "No... not really. It's just to excersize the hands, really." She squeezed the ball for emphasis.

Squeeze. Squeeze. Squeeze

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:38 am

(ooc: Ajil needs to be online more so I can yell random things at him)

"Not nervous at all? I am....I mean...we're moving out of what's pretty much been our home for years, into a strange house with someone we barely know...."

Needing something to focus on, he watched her squeeze the ball, for lack of anything else.

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:36 pm

Krista's mind wandered and if there was a response to her question, she didn't hear it. She began to absent mindedly pick at the zipper of her jacket. Naners silently slipped off her neck and to the floor. She didn't notice.

Kotoki

Unread postby Kotoki » Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:57 am

Tara shivered joyfully as she continued to flip pages. She was coming to one of the best parts. This was one of her favorite books- especially the illustrations.

Noticing Krista, she looked down and then at the younger girl. "Your toy," she said simply.

Ajil6

Unread postby Ajil6 » Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:35 pm

Alicia frowned, she had heard stories about Tara, and didn't particularly like the girl, and knew, of course, that Tara probably didn't particularly care how she felt.

Alicia felt particularly protective over Krista, especially since she was the youngest of the group. And particularly vulnarable to Tara's tortures.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=ajil6>Ajil6</A] at: 4/11/03 4:38:21 pm

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:38 pm

Krista snapped out of her trance like state and gave a small yelp. She snatched the small monkey from the floor and clutched it to her chest.

She looked up at Tara, "Thanks."

Kotoki

Unread postby Kotoki » Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:37 am

"You're welcome," said Tara quietly in reply. She decided it was time to have some fun. Looking into Krista's eyes, she ran her tongue along the edge of her teeth.

"You look so good," she whispered, "I could just eat you up."

Ajil6

Unread postby Ajil6 » Sat Apr 12, 2003 4:51 am

Alicia opened up her backpack and deposited her stressball inside before idling commenting to Tara.

"But you won't. Right?" She looked over at Krista, then over to Tara, before leaning back against her seat.

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:50 am

Krista whimpered and squeezed herself as close as possible to the door. Her eyes jumped from Tara to Alicia and back to Tara, full of fear.

EKDS5k

Unread postby EKDS5k » Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:03 am

Well, this is off to a great start.

Obviously, Rodney wasn't oblivious to Tara's reputation, but he was willing to give her a chance, especially since he had never actually witnessed any of the stories.

"Look....this is a terrible way to get started...We're gonna be living together, and probably for quite some time, too, so don't you think we should get along? And not be afraid of one another?"

As he said the last sentence, he looked at the cowering Krista.

Scared to death...

He moved and sat across from her, leaned forward, put a hand on her arm, and smiled a bit.

"Calm down, alright?"

Kotoki

Unread postby Kotoki » Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:37 pm

Tara looked at Rodney and raised an eyebrow. "There is nothing to fear but fear itself," she quoted, turning her eyes back to her book.

Well, at least the small girl was afraid of her. And if she could get her anywhere alone she'd have even more reason to be.

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Sun Apr 13, 2003 3:06 pm

Krista jumped at Rodney's touch. She looked at him and started to cry.

"I want my mommy." She burried her face in the little monkey.

Ajil6

Unread postby Ajil6 » Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:10 pm

Alicia looked at the crying girl with nothing but soft pity.

Heh. I want your mommy too.

Of course, Alicia knew nothing of Krista's mother, or her life before the orphanage. But she opened her mouth to speak anyway.

"Yeah. Well, you'll have a new one now, you know?" Her voice was slightly edgy, but soft. "And it'll be fine, alright? Don't worry."

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:14 am

She lifted her tear streaked face and focused her eyes on Alicia. She nodded and tried to stop her tears.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Arriving..

Unread postby Endesu » Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:30 am

Mistress Childs, still apparently having forgotten about reading into who these childen really were, or answering the one question posed to her, turned to them with the same warm smile as before. "We are arriving at the gates of the Childs Estate, children... please behave as we make our way inwards."

Indeed, two regally-formed, metallic gates were parting for the moving limosuine. The same road that they had been following for some time trailed inwards and into the somewhat thick forestry just ahead. Beyond that.. one could almost see a few peaks of the white-and-marble mansion balconies. Their new home was within distant sight..

"Shall we drive the rest of the way, children? Or shall we walk..? It is such a nice day, after all.." She beckoned to the bright blue skies overhead, with only a trace of a storm cloud in the outskirts of the blue.

EKDS5k

Re: Arriving..

Unread postby EKDS5k » Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:17 pm

Rodney smiled again at Krista, trying to be reassuring.

"Don't worry, you'll be fine..."

Hearing the question from the front of the limo, he looked up at Mistress Childs.

"It doesn't matter to me...the fresh air might do us all some good, though..."

(edit: damn typos)

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=ekds5k>EKDS5k</A]&nbsp; Image at: 4/15/03 7:25:45 pm

Kotoki

Re: Arriving..

Unread postby Kotoki » Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:03 pm

Tara nodded, shutting her book and putting it back with her other belongings. "Yes, It's very pretty outside today," she said sweetly. "It would be nice to walk."

Ajil6

Questions?

Unread postby Ajil6 » Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:40 pm

Alicia agreed, "Yeah. I need to stretch my legs." She held her backpack tightly, not wanting to particularly leave it in the car.

Alicia was curious about those two little darlings that the eldarly matron neglected to respond about. She was hoping on the way up she could question her again.

Kuro Kodomo

Re: Questions?

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:01 am

Krista grabbed her little blue suitcase and nodded. She liked to walk, and when she got out of the car she planned on staying as close to Rodney and Alicia as possible.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Walk

Unread postby Endesu » Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:45 am

Mistress Childs nodded and turned to the Chaffeur, whispering something to him. He nodded to her, in return, and with that, the Mistress stepped out of the car, beckoning for the children to follow.

"We have quite a walk ahead of us, now. Please don't linger behind.."

EKDS5k

Re: Walk

Unread postby EKDS5k » Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:56 pm

"We're coming, we're coming."

Rodney grabbed his backpack and stepped out of the car, squinting in the sunlight. He waited for the others to follow, keeping a close eye on Tara, something he felt he'd probably be doing a lot in the time to come.

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:03 pm

Krista jumped out of the car after Rodney and slipped her hand into his. She glanced over her shoulder at Tara and smiled weakly and turned back to look at her new "Home".

Ajil6

Unread postby Ajil6 » Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:16 am

Alicia yawned as she stretched her cramped muscles. She shifted the backpack over her shoulders as she made to follow the group.

She decided during the drive, she enjoyed the local scenery, and that was always a plus. If the location was enjoyable, the home might be as well...

She wondered if there were any generically tall tree's, preferably oak. She felt safe in oak trees, stable. Something that most oprhan's would say their life lacked, stability. Of course, if you asked Alicia what her life lacked, she would have asked for a 20.

"So." She asked, when she felt like being nonchalant, "Who are these two darlings you mentioned?"

Kotoki

Unread postby Kotoki » Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:38 pm

Tara, taking her bag in hand, hopped out of the vehicle and began to walk placidly with the others.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

To the House

Unread postby Endesu » Sun Apr 27, 2003 3:08 pm

As the limosuine continued on its own path, the Mistress Childs and her four orphan companions made their way over the grassy knoll, eventually coming into the thick of a forest that hid most of the house from distant view.

For some time, she had been unnervingly silent, apparently not giving recognition to the repeated question on her 'darlings', until they had covered some distance into the forest itself.

She blinked and began to speak without warning, keeping her face turned away from the foursome. "My darlings.. they were.. are.. two very precious children.. it was their company that kept the house so.. secure. And I can't help but see some of you in them. It warms my heart."

The house slowly began to loom in the distance, as it was becoming closer then before.. a hint of dark clouds was rolling in and over the skies. Apparently, night would not be entirely far off..

Next

Return to Other RPs