Conflict - Isle 526

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
PSLoyalist

Death, mayhem, soap

Unread postby PSLoyalist » Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:26 am

Duranja spun around surprised, "your afraid?"

Duranja was very surprised by that remark, " all that money we're getting for this, I wouldn't be scared of anything."

Kuro Kodomo

Huh...what?

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:24 am

Kuro bit her lip, "I should have potential, I come from a 'magic' family. That's part of why I'm here. I can't do it so I was disowned. They could care less if I die or not. I want to prove them wrong."

She sat on the ground in front of Chiaro and picked at the ground. "Sorry, you don't wanna hear my life story."

saberlock

Re: Huh...what?

Unread postby saberlock » Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:01 pm

"Your right. I don't." Chiaro said grinning "Not right now at least. If this job is over, I'd love to hear anything you're willing to tell me, but now we should focus on the present.

Anyway, like I said, try to sense the magic in this area. Close your eyes if it helps you concentrate. Try to feel the energy. If you feel it, tell me where it's coming from. Consider it a small test."

OOC: The answer doesn't really matter that much. Just say what sems most logical. There's no right or wrong answer in this one.

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:38 pm

Kuro closed her eyes and concentrated. After a few minutes she felt something. She opened her eyes and smiled at Chiaro.

"You. I feel it coming from you."

saberlock

Unread postby saberlock » Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:25 pm

Chiaro laughed. "The easiest answer. I am probably the nearest strong source of energy. It's only logical you'd feel it first in me. But don't be fooled by your first impression. The energy is all around us. And of course, it's in yourself as well. You'll learn to recognise it with a little practice.

But sensing the energy is only the first step in actually using magic. As a mage, you need to be able to control the energy. There are basically three ways to control it. The first one is slightly altering the energy flow inside existing objects. You'd be surprised how even the slightest change in the delicate balance can achieve great effects. This is my kind of magic."

To illustrate his point, Chiaro placed his hand on the grass. Immediatly, the grass started growing rapidly. When it was about a foot high, Chiaro lifted his hand, and the grass stopped growing.

"See. I accelerated the energy flow in the grass, causing it to grow more rapidly. Magic like this is relatively easy, for it only concerns small changes in the energy.
The second kind of magic is the ability to gather energy in one place, and force it to create matter. You've seen Miranda create a dagger, seemingly out of thin air. That's Creation magic.
The last kind of magic is the most dangerous. Destruction magic violently rips away energy from it's source. This can drain enemy mages of their power, weaken matter, or even destroy it completely.

You do not have to restrict yourself to only one kind of magic, but most mages choose to do so, for it takes a long time to master one kind of magic, let alone three.

I'd advice you too stick to Alteration magic first, until you get the feel of it. It's the easiest and most versatile kind of magic, so it's perfect for beginners. When you get more attuned to the flow of energy around you, and more importantle, the energy within yourself, you can find out for yourself what kind of magic suits you the best.

To use magic, all you need is experience and a bit of imagination. Since you lack experience, you'll need to find out for yourself how it works exactly, for I cannot tell you. Just try practicing on something small, like the grass, a twig, or a rock. Try to sense the energy, and the way it flows trough it. Then contact that energy, and imagine how it would be if the object were to change the way you want it to change. Then make the change.

I realise it might be a bit unclear, but there really is no better way to say it. That's why there are no real schools of magic. You can learn the basics, but every mage has to find out by him or herself what it is exactly. Besides, if everyone could learn it, it wouldn't be anything special, would it?

Anyway, the last thing I can tell you, is about the casting itself. You might've seen a mage waving his arms and chanting verses while casting a more powerful spell. This has nothing to do with the casting itself. Since all that needs to happen, happens in your mind, you don't need to actually do anything. The waving and shouting only helps the mage remember the exact energy configuration. For small things, you can easily remember them, but for more complicated spells, some mages like to use a little aid to memory."

Chiaro stopped for a moment, and then continued laughing.

"That, and the fact that it looks a lot better. There's nothing like a good show to impress the common man."

PSLoyalist

Unread postby PSLoyalist » Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:14 am

Duranja sat, leaned up against a nearby rock, pondering Chiaro's words.

Duranja looked towards teh sky, then back at the ground. He placeed his hands on the ground and focused really hard on trying to make it grow, just alittle if anything.

He closed his eyes trying to imagine the grass growing, the energy rapidly increasing growth.

(OOC: GM, decied if it works or not, either way, i have a reply for it)

Geocsuppi

Unread postby Geocsuppi » Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:37 am

Hikari finished his crude sword. At least one may think it to be a sword. It really just looked like a stick with one side shaper than the other. Hikari stood up and started to attack various trees.

Kuro Kodomo

Again with the Blue string...oi

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:22 am

Kuro closed her eyes and pressed her finger tips together leaving her palms slightly cupped as though she were holding a softball.

She concentrated on first forming a strand of blue thread. And then another, and another. Finnaly inter-twining them to form a think bit of string. She could almost feel it in her hands. She could almost see it with her still closed eyes.

Her eyes opened slowly as she gazed into her own palms...

((Did it work, Saber?))

saberlock

Re: Again with the Blue string...oi

Unread postby saberlock » Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:25 pm

OOC: My apologies for the lack of postage this weekend. I'm often not at home in weekends (especially on saturdays), thus limiting my online time.

When Kuro opened her eyes and looked into her palms, she saw a small blue thread in her hands. Only a moment later, it disintegrated again.

Chiaro looked into her eyes. "...And I thought you said you couldn't do magic?" he smiled "Creation magic isn't easy. That's also why you weren't able to keep the thread together. Low creation spells last only as long as you can sustain them. Permanent creation takes a lot more practice. But you sure proved yourself able to use magic. From here on, all you need to do is practice a lot. Decide what kind of magic fits you best. Maybe one day, you'll be a famous mage. Who knows? All I know is that you've got the potential, the rest is u to yourself."

Meanwhile, Duranja was trying to make the grass grow. When he opened his eyes and looked at the grass, it seemed nothing had happened at all.

At the 'base', Miranda had finished packing the few supplies she planned on taking along, and stepped outside to see what everyone was doing.

OOC: Duranja is a tech character. He wouldn't be able to use magic unless something really special would happen.

PSLoyalist

Re: Again with the Blue string...oi

Unread postby PSLoyalist » Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:29 pm

Duranja looked at his hand, he shruged it off and got up, walking back into the town.

Kuro Kodomo

OMG

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:05 pm

Kuro just about burst with pride and happiness, "Oh my gosh! I finally did it!"

She jumped up and hugged Chiaro.

saberlock

Re: OMG

Unread postby saberlock » Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:57 pm

Chiaro smiled sheepishly.

"Yeah, you really did it. Just remember that the only way to improve your skills is to practice them. Keep using them, and you'll see that casting will become more of a reflex over time."

He got up and looked around.

"Well, what do you say we go back to the house and get our stuff together, and get something to eat. I don't know about you, but I'm kind of hungry."

Meanwhile, Miranda had wandered into Duranja while walking through the town.

"Hi. Duranja, wasn't it? I've been wanting to ask you, why did you decide to take this job?"

Kuro Kodomo

Re: OMG

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:21 pm

Just then, Kuro's stomach growled.

"Food sounds good." She gave Chiaro the I am so sorry I just did that look.

PSLoyalist

All your base are belong to us

Unread postby PSLoyalist » Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:26 am

Duranja grinned slightly, then to stay off teh hostile side, put his gun away.

"If you really want to know," Duranja said turning his grin into a serious look, "I did it so i can go back home and support my family and friends, and get out of this awful buisness of death," Duranja said looking off into the distance, with each hour the sun sank deeper behind the horizon.

Duranja smiled and looked around at the abandoned buildings.

"Any coffee shops around here? I could really use a cup of joe," Duranja said fixing his eyes back on the assasin.

Geocsuppi

Re: All your base are belong to us

Unread postby Geocsuppi » Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:22 am

Hikari finally after hitting many trees found one strong enough to take hard direct attacks. He stopped and got into a fighting stance. Holding the sword behind himself, he gathered all of his strength in his hands, and transfered it to the sword. He closed his eyes and swung high left to low right.

[OOC:I'll leave it up to you what happens.]

saberlock

Re: All your base are belo- *ARGH LET GO OF MY THROAT!!!*

Unread postby saberlock » Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:21 pm

"Heh... it doesn't matter if it sounds good, as long as it tastes good, right?!"

Chiaro laughed.

"We should have some supplies back at the house, as well as some fresh fruit. I'm sure we can make something out of it..."

Miranda looked back at Duranja.

"'awful business of death'? Call it what you will, but sometimes it is necessary to take a life in order to achieve a greater goal... The only thing is, that different people have different opinions of wether the goal justifies the means. Anyway, if it's money you're after, you have chosen the right job. With the money this pays, you'll have plenty to start a new career."

She was silent for a moment, and then continued talking.

"Most taverns and shops are closed. Many people have left the island, and the only ones who remain are those that are either too stubborn to leave, or that have nowhere to go... We've got some supplies at the base, but I doubt we'll have coffee."

Just when Hikari was about to swing his sword down, a small rock hit his hand, knocking the sword away. The stone seemed to have come from one of the trees near the jungle's edge, but when Hikari looked around, he saw nothing...

PSLoyalist

Unread postby PSLoyalist » Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:05 pm

Durajna smiled, "that's okay, i got some ration coffee, the stuff tastes pretty bad though, that's why i asked if there were any taverns," Duranja finished pulling his bag from his back and set it on the ground next to him.

"Have a seat," Duranja said getting out two packets of coffee, and preparing them in water from a nearby well.

He made two, but didn't really mind if Miranda wanted some or not, he'd just drink the second one.

"So what got you into this kinda of buisness?," Duranja said preparing the coffee, "seems your good at it," Duranja said looking over his shoulder to Miranda.

jeez, she's so pretty, she would never go for a guy like me... Duranja thought to himself still staring over his shoulder.

saberlock

Unread postby saberlock » Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:47 pm

"... They say practice makes perfect. If that's true, I must be pretty near to perfection..." Miranda said

"I've been doing this for quite some time now. I actually used to be a member of the civilian resistance back when Telnos invaded Rehkin... When the resistance got crushed, I had nowhere to go, so I became a mercenary. Over time, I learned how to use my mind and body to reach places I wasn't allowed to reach, and how to remain unseen, while being able to take valuables, information, or lives - depending on my mission - without anyone knowing what happened until it was too late...

Now - it has been, I don't remember... a long time - , I wouldn't be able to make my living any other way, even if I wanted to. You might think it's a dirty job, but often espionage or assassination can end a war, or even prevent it. And of course it pays well. After all, we all need money right?"

note: she's assuming Duranja knows about the the Telnoan invasion. It is highly unlikely he does.

PSLoyalist

Unread postby PSLoyalist » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:28 pm

Duranja turned around and handed the crude cup of coffee to Miranda before asking her.

"Telnoan? What was that? a war?" Duranja said, feeling alittle confused about what she had just said, feeling he overstepped his boundries and might have brought on some bad memories he changed the subject, "Nevermind, sorry I asked, say do you have any experiance with guns?"

note: Duranja tried to be polite around girls and tries not to hurt them, mentally or physically.

Geocsuppi

Unread postby Geocsuppi » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:44 pm

Hikari swore a bit, then picked up his sword. "Stupid rock throwing things."

He once again prepared his attack faster this time, not by much but miliseconds faster. Hw swung again from high left to low right.

saberlock

More rock throwing

Unread postby saberlock » Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:30 am

"There's no need to apologize. I don't mind you haven't heard of that war... I guess it's best if you don't..."

Miranda took the cup, and looked down.

"Anyway, I don't use guns. They make too much noise. Besides, I mentioned before I didn't like carrying my weapons with me, and guns are too complicated to create magically. A simple dagger is all I need. If it's range I need, I'll throw it."

Miranda looked at Duranja, and then into the cup. Then she took a sip of the coffee.

"This is... well, it's not *that* bad, I guess..."

When Hikari prepared his attack again, another rock was thrown at him, but this time it missed his hand. As his sword cut deep into the tree, a third rock came flying from the jungle's edge. This time, the rock wasn't aimed for his hands, but for his head.

OOC: Geocsuppi: miss, dodge, or get hit. I'll leave it up to you.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=saberlock>saberlock</A]&nbsp; Image at: 4/10/03 3:44:05 am

Geocsuppi

Re: More rock throwing

Unread postby Geocsuppi » Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:14 am

Hikari saw the third just in time to move the sword into the path of the swone. It hit and imbedded itself in the sword. Hikari promptly removed the practice sword from the tree.

"There here," he exclaimed, under his breath mostly.

He began to walk backwards so he could keep an eye on where the stone had came from. Soon enough he was with the little group practicing magic.

"How's it going, Miranda?"

Kuro Kodomo

*Nudge nudge, Hint hint*

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:32 pm

Kuro noticed Miranda. She nudged Chiaro,

"So are you two like friends or did you meet when you were hired?" Kuro was just being nosey, besides, she thought he was pretty cute.

PSLoyalist

I am Jerry's self-disapritiative post of unending death

Unread postby PSLoyalist » Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:18 pm

(OOC: 10 bonus points if you guess the origin of the subject)

Duranja smilied and toke a sip of his coffee, "After drinking it for years it really grows on ya," Duranja said taking another sip, "But alot of people don't like ration coffee on the first few cups."

noticing Hikari, Duranja looked over his defensive position.

"what's wrong Hikari?," Duranja said unholstering his gun and standing, clicking the safty off as fast as he could blink.

Before hikari could answer, Duranja looked off into the woods with his bionic eye, observing the trees, switching between different modes such as nightvision, heat vision, and constantly zooming.

(OOC: up to you, Saber, if he sees anything)

saberlock

Re: I am Jerry's self-disapritiative post of unending death

Unread postby saberlock » Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:37 pm

OOC: easy. Fight Club. :P

Miranda jumped up as she saw Hikari approaching.

"What's wrong? Did something happen?"

Chiaro shrugged.

"We've worked together once before. I don't really know her, and we're not friends. I can't say I like her that much..."

Then Miranda jumped up. Chiaro looked in the direction she was looking, and saw Hikari carefully walking backwards from the jungle's edge. Immediately he understood what had happened.

"Damn. I told all of you that they are frequently seen near the jungle's edge. He must've gotten too close."

As Duranja scanned trough the trees, he noticed a small red spot on his heat vision. The dot slowly moved trough the trees, staying as close to the jungle's edge and to Hikari as possible without revealing itself trough the leaves.

PSLoyalist

Unread postby PSLoyalist » Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:27 pm

"I see something," Duranja said pulling up his gun and firing three shot directly at the red dot with precise aim, as precise as he could get it really.

"Shot first, ask questions later," Duranja said running over to Hikari's side, now drawing his second gun from it's holster.

Duranja held his gun steady and awaited the results of his shots.

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:37 am

Without much of a thought, Kuro had removed the chakrams from their pouch and was standing in a defensive position. She had followed Duranja's gaze and was watching the trees for movement.

saberlock

Unread postby saberlock » Fri Apr 11, 2003 1:52 pm

Duranja fired, and the red dot fell down to the ground.

When Miranda saw Duranja firing his gun at the trees, she ran towards him, and went to stand in front of him.

"You idiot! If that is one of those creatures whe're after, we have to try and capture it! It'll do us no good if you kill it!"

PSLoyalist

Unread postby PSLoyalist » Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:53 pm

"It's ok, i aimed for the legs, what legs i could make out...," Duranja said still holding his gun, and peeking around Miranda checked to see if the dot was struggling or not.

saberlock

Unread postby saberlock » Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:40 pm

"So it should be alive? Good."

Miranda looked at the jungle.

"We should go see what it was..."

She said, as she slowly walked over to the trees.

Then, suddenly a very high pitched sound came from the jungle, almost like screaming, but much higher.

At first, the dot was hardly moving. After the sound, it seemed for a moment like there was more than one dot, but immediately after that the dot disappeared.

PSLoyalist

Unread postby PSLoyalist » Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:12 pm

"Stop!," Duranja said to Miranda who was approaching the forrest edge, "it went away, a whole bunch of them crowded around, and then the struggling dot disappeared."

Duranja hesitated for a moment in thought then continued, "Do you think they resort to canibalisim with injured commreades?"

Duranja couldn't bear to think of what it's gonna be like tomarrow when they venture into the jungle...

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:52 am

At the thought of canabalism Kuro commented.

"If that's what they do to thier injured, just thnk what they'll do to us." She shuddered at the thought.

saberlock

Unread postby saberlock » Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:57 pm

Miranda stopped when Duranja warned her, but Chiaro ran past her.

"Damn it. Don't you feel it? There's nothing there anymore!"

As Chiaro ran into the forest, it seemed like the vegetation parted a bit to let him through, and closed back behind him. A short time after that, Chiaro returned. He looked angry.

"It's like I felt it. There was nothing there anymore. I've found some blood on the ground, but there's nothing else left. I've never suspected these things might be cannibals, but if they are, they are really quick, and very thorough."

Chiaro quickly paced past the group, towards the house.

"Prepare yourselves to go. We're going in right now. No one ever comes this close to the forest anymore. Those creatures will be alerted of our presence now, so we can't afford to wait anymore."

PSLoyalist

Unread postby PSLoyalist » Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:04 pm

"Ok," Duranja said nodding, almost fearless.

He turned the gun on it's back and ejected the clip, then placed three bullets into it, replacing the used ones from earlier. Re entering the clip, Duranja looked over to Miranda.

"I guess i don't have to tell you to be careful, but good luck," Duranja said with a grin.

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Sun Apr 13, 2003 3:18 pm

Kuro followed Chiaro to the house to grab her things. She couldn't get the image of little shadows devouring each other.

"I thing Duranja has a thing for Miranda." Kuro said, obviously trying to lighten the mood. Anything to take her mind off of what ever was in the trees.

saberlock

Unread postby saberlock » Sun Apr 13, 2003 3:32 pm

Chiaro was obviously not in the mood to talk.

"He'll have to save it for later. We've got work to do now."

Chiaro grabbed his bag, which was already packed, and strapped it on his back.

"I'm going to finish this as quick as possible. In and out."

Chiaro stepped outside.

"Is everyone ready to go?"

(OOC:

@ Home is Nowhere and sseko: Even though you're not posting for some time now, here's a last chance.

If you're still in, post before tomorrow, or prepare for some serious character-controlling.)

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Sun Apr 13, 2003 3:44 pm

Kuro grabbed her pack and followed Chiaro back outside, "Okay, it's a date."

Geocsuppi

Unread postby Geocsuppi » Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:23 pm

Hikari watched the events unfold. He had never thought a gun was very usefull before. And he still didn't. They had never acutally seen it, didn't know any strengths or weaknesses of them still.

"Guns... psshh," He said as he walked over to Kuro.

PSLoyalist

Unread postby PSLoyalist » Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:13 pm

"I'm Ready," Duranja said standing at the forrest edge, guns clutched in both hands, and a knife in his boot.

saberlock

Into the Abyss! Ehrm, I mean Jungle! (too much WLBC2) :P

Unread postby saberlock » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:23 pm

Miranda joined the group, carrying a small bag. Little later, Ryouten and Daitetsu, who had been inside the house all this time, also joined.

Chiaro looked back, and then turned around.

"Good, everyone's here. We're going in. We are already aware that whatever we're up against, it's not friendly. So keep your eyes and ears open, and try not to make too much noise.

We'll head to the first group's last known camp site, and from there on we'll decide what to do depending on the circumstances. It's a few hours walk trough the jungle, and we won't be taking breaks until we get there."

Without waiting for comments, Chiaro started walking.

Miranda shrugged, and then followed Chiaro.

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs