Gray Areas

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
Rune Electra

Gray Areas

Unread postby Rune Electra » Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:14 pm

It was a clear night, chill and sharp, the kind of weather that one would swear sharpens the senses. The only smudges on the crystalline black sky were those of the campfires' smoke against the sharp lights of the stars and the Ladies, the twin moons that circled the planet.

The campfires were clustered in a scrubby area, the small company of soldiers huddled quietly against the frightening stillness of the area.
A short ways to the north of that small camp was a low hill, crowned with the slanting blocks of a half-ruined ancient building. A long, thin wisp of glittering steam tumbled through the weeds that choked the nearly-collapsed ceiling, making its way in a dead-staight column up into the sky.
The King of the High Elves, dressed in an unusually plain white robe, his long white-blond hair plaited back from classically elegant features and ears that swept back like twin horns from his jaw. His attendants bowed and departed for the camp behind, and the king ducked into a small gap in the ruins, his feet finding the worn steps in the pitch darkness that smothered him instantly. Feeling his way down the steps, finally a bit of light glimmered before him and he nearly stumbled as the steps leveled out into flat ground. A sudden burst of light nearly blinded him, and he staggered back onto the bottom step, tripping and collapsing into a sitting position. Before him, the stone floor glowed a soft blue-white, exuding thick clouds of steam, those clouds hiding the one he knew sat there. A pair of eyes, glowing the same white-blue as the stone floor, opened and gazed flatly at him. The Oracle was frightening to see; though a young woman, her near-nude body was inhuman, twisted in a fashion indescribable. And he listened, entranced, as she began to speak.

"'Ware the ancient brothers, thy ancient brothers, the heritage of thy heritage, for they spell thy fate out from the stars and up from the earth..." Her voice shook, the steam roiling from her effort to speak further. The king leaned forward, prompting more silently.

"NO! That is all I have to tell thee. Leave, now!"

(OOC: More later. This is just introduction. I'll post the next half after dinner.)

Rune Electra

Re: Gray Areas

Unread postby Rune Electra » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:40 pm

It took a half a moon to return to the palace, the king mulling over the lines of prophecy. He had no living brothers, let alone ancient ones, so the prophecy was a mystery to him, though its syllables rang in his jewel-adorned ears. The moment he returned to the palace, he sent the prophecy to all his soothsayers and astrologers and sages, and mere days later he recieved a definite answer back, echoed in the stars and the wisdom of ages.

The Drow, their brethren of ages past, was to pose a threat to their beautiful kingdom. Immediately, the king was determined to do one thing; destroy them. He would not brook those ugly dark beasts threatening his rule.
The invasion of the Drow caverns began immediately. In one night, all the passages were closed off, sealed with the High Elves' soldiers.
The only thing to escape the dark passages of the Drow was a ragged-winged hoary bat, practically limping through the air. It had a long way to go.

The gray light of false dawn trickled reluctantly over the ice-rimed ground in one of the great Eastern cities, a hard-edged, gray-stone monstrosity built for defense. An inn harbored one of the few open spaces in the city, a gaunt little park with a scraggly leafless tree and plenty of dead grass. Rune's soft-booted feet crunched lightly over it as she left the inn, heading out. No dispatch had arrived when she had expected it to, and she was beginning to worry.
She wasn't sure whether to worry more or worry less when a dying hoary bat came careening in to a landing at her feet, blood and ice striping the poor thing and nearly hiding the little message roll. She gently removed it from the bat's corpse, and unrolled it. A hastily scrawled message... reading that the High Elf king had attacked the Drow, without apparent provocation. But the stone of the caves had heard his whispered talk with his advisors, and he spoke of a prophecy by the Oracle. Rune was the only one outside the caves with a chance.

She looked up in shock from the paper, crumpling the tough parhcment in numb fingers as she stared into space. Moving as if asleep, she made her way towards the tavern she had seen last night, and entered. She wasn't diplomatic enough to talk her way out of a box, let alone get the Elf King to back down, even with the Oracle in tow to clarify... because surely the Oracle hadn't intended the destruction of the Drow.

She entered the tavern, not even noticing the stunned silence at her appearance. Her baggy black shirt and breeches wrapped tight to her arms from elbow to palm with gray leather, and wrapped tight to her ankles above soft black boots with the same. Her belt held twinned rapiers, well-worn hilts wrapped with deep violet. What appeared to be a blindfold covered her eyes, protecting her from the sun's brightness.
She seated herself at a table in a corner, and murmured to the nervous waitress for a cup of the Astartin, a notoriously touch liquor made locally, with a taste fit to strip the flesh from the tongue. She downed half of it in a gulp when it arrived, then propped her head in her hands silently, baffled and hopeless already. She had no chance of making a difference at all.
(OOC: Jump in, those who've signed up)

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Sun Mar 09, 2003 2:44 am

She enters the tavern rubbing her eyes.

"Damned sun! I forgot how it burns!" Her face is twisted in annoyance more than pain.

After several minutes of furtive rubbing, her vision cleared and she spotted a fellow "darkie" in the corner table. She slid onto the stool across from Rune and ordered a dwarven ale.

"What brings you Topside?"

Edited by: Kuro Kodomo at: 3/10/03 12:39:51 am

Darsis AlTanis

Unread postby Darsis AlTanis » Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:55 pm

Parim Isindin was in a damn good mood.

Cards were always his forte, and he had just convinced some idiotic Dwarf to take him on, 4000 gold to the winner.

And had won of course, although he just barely missed being killed by the drunken fool, when the extra cards on his lap had accidentally fallen to the ground.

He got away however, thanks partially to the massive amounts of ale that the dwarf had ingested over the course of the night.

He slid the coinage into his large backpack, and walked over to a shadowy corner, one seat not visible from the central area at all.

"Dyrim? You there"

"Of course, why would I have left?" The voice was like velvet on water.

"I know you don't like public areas."

"This is OK. It's dark. Theres a job for us, in the corner."

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"The female Drow who just walked in. She is lost and nervous. You can tell. Judging by her weapons she probably is royal, and she was crumpling a piece of paper when she entered. Talk to her, we need the money."

"OK. Whatever you say little brother"

Parim's brother, Dyrim Isindin, looked at him. Dyrim was completely different from Parims round ears, pale skin and blonde hair. He was small, and dark, like most Drow. But he was indeed Parim's brother, as they were both half Drow. One, the leader and planner, taking after his mother. The other, a dark assasin, expert observer, magician, thief. After his father.

"Don't call me that"

Parim walked cheerfully over to the table where Rune sat. He plunked himself down in a chair beside her, and threw a handful of coins on the table.

"Bartender!! A round of Astartin for me and my new best friend!!" He turned to Rune and winked.

"What brings you here m'lady? Certainly not the quality of the ol barkeeps ale now?"

((Kuro. Rune was not at the bar, she was at a corner table.))

Rune Electra

Unread postby Rune Electra » Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:15 pm

(OOC: Kuro: I'll assume you sat down at an adjacent table.)
At Kuro's approach, Rune looked up, saw that it was another drow. As she sat down at the next table over, instantly inviting herself into conversation, Rune grimaced.

"I'm the High Priestess's messenger. And of course, what you're doing topside is being unbelievably lucky." She replied cryptically, unfolding the crumpled note, which was written in the most formal dialect of the Drow runes, just as an overly exuberant human seated himself beside her. As Kuro assumedly read, or tried to read, the message, she turned to the fellow with an instinctive coldness in her bearing and tone.

"What brings me here is none of y..." She stopped herself from the instinctive brush-off, remembering that she desperately needed help. "Sorry. Instinctive response. What brings me here is a little catastrophe in my home. Namely, the caverns are being invaded wholesale by the High Elf king, who was apparently told by a Soothsayer to begin exterminating the Drow. And I'm just positively basking in the fact that I'm the only high-ranking, pureblooded Drow outside the caverns, and that their 'only hope' is quite hopeless."

Finished with the outburst, she promptly shut up, this being more words than she'd spoken in the last year altogether. She picked up the remains of her glass of Astartin, tossed it down, and looked balefully at the glass the serving wench brought by. This might seem strange, as the 'blindfold' over her eyes made it look as if she could see nothing. She seemed to pay no mind more to either of those who had approached her, seriously regretting her racial inability to become intoxicated off of simple liquor as she waited for their responses.

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:38 am

(OOC: I'll fix that, sorry.)

She nods in understanding and takes a sip from the mug before her. With a straind swallow and a look of disgust she glances at the crumpled piece of paper.

"Yech. I've had horse piss that tastes better than this." She licks her lips before adding, "This is one of them times when I wish I had memoized my runes."

Darsis AlTanis

Unread postby Darsis AlTanis » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:08 pm

(Ummm... Are you talking to Parim, or Kuro. Either way you're not acknowledging one of our existences))

Rune Electra

Unread postby Rune Electra » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:15 pm

(OOC: Me? Second paragraph is to Kuro, then third paragraph is to Parim)

Darsis AlTanis

Unread postby Darsis AlTanis » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:19 pm

((Oh sorry. Thanks for the clarification))

Darsis AlTanis

Unread postby Darsis AlTanis » Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:21 pm

"Wow. Intense situation. So I'm assuming the solution will never be a full scale conflict, at least not right away. In that case, the Isindin brothers are your fellas."

He winked again, and pulled out a large golden coin. He grinned as he began to deftly manipulate the flashing piece of money.

"These situations are like this coin. As you can see, the coin is constantly shifting and changing. It threatens to spin out of control at any second. In this case it pays to be diplomatic. Somtimes you can lose control altogether." He flipped the coin high into the air. "That means that we might have to off someone in no uncertain terms, and..." He deftly caught the coin.

He turned his hand over, revealing that it was empty.
"... make the problem no more."

"We specialize in these activities, and also rescues, kidnappings, assainations, lying, politics, diplomacy, and so on. Provided you have the gold. This conflict concerns the Drow, old friends of ours. Therefore, we may be willing to give you a discount."

He grinned cheekily.

Rune Electra

Unread postby Rune Electra » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:58 pm

"It basically said just what I told him." She added to Kuro, head still resting on her arms. Then, to the Half-Drow's little coin exhibition, she snorted.

"Fine with me, but two problems; sleight of hand won't do much to the High Elf king, and I also don't have enough gold to buy my way out of a cardboard box. How 'bout looting rights instead? There'll be chaos aplenty if we need to get to the Oracle..." She was cut off by a sudden sound outside; pounding feet and yelling voices.

"The wiiiitch! We caught the the wiiitch! Death to foul servants of the devil!" It was a mob's collective frenzy, roiling outside the tavern. Rune ignored it, took a resigned sip of her Astartin.

"But I guess I'll need help, regardless. As much as I may regret the necessity."

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:51 am

"Figured as much." She glanced at the half drow and smiled. "Nice trick though."

Darsis AlTanis

Unread postby Darsis AlTanis » Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:59 pm

"Why thank you. If thats settled then, we should probably leave. The High Elf King will probably be looking for you, and we're not ready for you to appear in his court. Dead or alive. You, however, are leading this expedition/venture/whatever. So if you wish to get more help, now would be a good time to do it. We can leave whenever you wish, simply allow me to fetch my bother, and our bags."

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:26 am

She nodded in agreemet with the half Drow. "I'm ready to go whenever. Don't have anything better to do anyways."

Rune Electra

Unread postby Rune Electra » Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:51 am

"This is ridiculous, pointless, daft, and harebrained." She murmured under her breath, smacked a couple coins onto the table to cover her tab, and stood up.

"But really, what choice have we got? Give me five minutes to get my stuff from the inn, and meet me at the Courier's stables. I have a horse, but those of you without will definitely need one." She straightened, and walked out of the tavern, brusquely dismissing those she had been talking to.

The snow was trickling down out of the sky halfheartedly now, melting into a gray-brown slush as it landed on the streets. Rune sneered at it sourly as she headed for the inn; cities were not her cup of tea, and she strongly disliked the sense of resignation that cities seemed to emanate. As well she'd be leaving, whether this would succeed or not.

Five minutes later, she walked into the courtyard of the Courier's Stables, riding a very tall, Southern-bred horse of Palomino coloration, with copper-gold coat and white mane and tail. The mare stood restively at ease as Rune dismounted, speaking quietly to the stablemaster. A few seconds of talking, and the man nodded, heading off for the back of the stable. Rune turned to wait for the others to arrive.

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:45 pm

She walked up with the reigns to a jet black mare with a flowing black mane. The horse seemed uneasy about her but followed anyways.

"Where's what's his face, the half drow?" She asked as she checked her saddlebags to make sure everything was there. She had her swords at her hips and her custom fit scale mail was carefully packed away. She had fresh water and enough rations to last a few days.

She had followed Rune's example and tied a bit of thin black cloth about her eyes.

Darsis AlTanis

Unread postby Darsis AlTanis » Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:10 pm

The brothers Isindin arrived late, and they were not riding horses. They were instead riding 2 Charlcanths, northern beasts most closely related to cats. The creatures both had beautiful striped tawny fur, and sinewy muscle could be seen beneath their coats.

"Charlcanths." Parim explained, "Not quite as flat out fast as horses, but close, and a lot more agile. Oh yes, this is my brother and partner, Dyrim. As you can see, he has a lot more Drow in him then I do."

Dyrim, unlike Parim, was heavily hooded, and also had a piece of fabric tied about his eyes.

His soft voice spoke: "Pleasure to meet you. I hope this business shall prove profitabel to both of us."

Parim eyed Kuro. "You're from the bar. I was not aware that you also were joining us. Mayhaps m'lady made an arrangment whilst I was away...? "

He looked up at Rune.

Rune Electra

Unread postby Rune Electra » Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:56 pm

As Kuro arrived, the brothers a short ways behind her, Rune didn't bother to answer the question. She eyed the mounts and the more Drow-ish brother with equal expressions of resignation. She bowed her head in a faint greeting as Dyrim hailed her.

Parim's silent question was met with an almost imperceptible shrug from Rune; obviously she only knew that the woman was tagging along, nothing more. She called out again to the stablemaster in the back, and he affirmed, still in a strange, quick language. He led up four rangy horses, saddled and haltered, their saddlebags stuffed with provisions. He handed a small talisman to Rune, who dropped it into a pocket, and he removed the lead-ropes, leaving the horses as he retreated into the building.

"Spare mounts." Rune explained. "Let's go." She turned her rangy mare and started out into the city at a brisk trot, heading for the gate out northwards, towards the mountains beneath which the Oracle made her home.

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:04 am

She threw a glance at Parim and smiled.

"I seem to have no other purpose here so I figured I might as well make myself useful. Besides, If this fails, I die anyways, I might as well do something worth while before it comes to that."

She eyed Parim's brother with an intrest, "I think that's just enough of a cause to go, don't you agree?"

Darsis AlTanis

Unread postby Darsis AlTanis » Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:54 pm

"Good enough for me. Shall we be off then?"

He mounted the Charlcanth, and his brother did likewise.
Parim whistled sharply, and the two cat creatures went off like a shot, after Rune. Their spare mounts followed also.

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:36 pm

Kuro kicked her mount lightly and sped off after them, but keeping enough distance between them in case they were attacked so she had the room to flee, if need be.

Darsis AlTanis

Unread postby Darsis AlTanis » Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:55 pm

((Ummmm.... did Rune die, or something? I am really enjoying what little of this RP we have done, and so I would like to continue it if possible, but when our GM is not present.....))

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:43 pm

((OOC: seems like she did. Hmmm....))

Darsis AlTanis

Unread postby Darsis AlTanis » Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:28 pm

((Yah. If anyone knows Runes e-mail, try to get ahold of her. If not, I have secured permission from Jak to take over GMing responsibilities if Rune does not return within 2 weeks. Or less, depending.))

Kuro Kodomo

Unread postby Kuro Kodomo » Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:54 pm

Oh dear, It looks bad...*dies*

I'M DONE HERE!

Edited by: Kuro Kodomo at: 3/28/03 12:51:48 pm

Return to Other RPs