A Sell-Sword's Tale [Freestyle – All Welcome]

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
Servack

A Sell-Sword's Tale [Freestyle – All Welcome]

Unread postby Servack » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:46 am

Dusk. The slanting rays of the setting sun paint the city of Dürngrad with reddish tones and shadows. A lone traveller hikes along the side of the road, a bag on his back and a cloak over his shoulders. The grey woolen cape is pulled around his body, obscuring any clues as to his other attire, save breif glimpses of a finely polished sword hilt and well-greased plate armour. A few strands of jaw-length black hair escape the confines of the hood, while the rest of his face lies in shadow. His boots clank rythmicly on the cobblestones, alerting the city guard to his approach. Words are exchanged. The gates slide open, and the traveller continues on his way into the city.

Bryant Cole stopped just after passing through the gates, scratching a day's growth of stubble and taking a quick look around. An inn was his primary goal; some hot food, strong whisky, and a soft bed were his driving needs.

His eyes, gray and hardened by years of life as a mercinary, locked onto a likely prospect. Up the street a ways was a sign that indicated the 'Rusty Nail', one of a number of such establishments that catered to somewhat less than scrupulous clientelle. Bryant began marching down the street, his legs gifted with a newfound vigor at the promise of a place to drop his burden for a time.

As he walked, he couldn't help but be slightly amused at the reactions of the city's natives. A man curling a protective arm about his wife or lover, a mother shooing her children inside, playtime cut short... It never ceased to amaze him. If it were not for people such as him to fight their wars fo them, that man would be curling a protective arm around a wounded comrade, that mother would be raising her sons to fight and die. Absolutely amazing.

Bryant's musings were cut short by his arrival at the Rusty Nail inn. He shoved the doors open, the large planks of wood clattering and shaking on their poorly constructed hinges. A wave of stench flowed out of the open portal, the combined odors of stale beer, cheap perfume, and unwashed men assailing him all at once. He marched through the wall of foul air, his nose having become accustomed to such smells long ago.

The mercinary slid onto a barstool, adjusting his scabbard so it would hang loosely. A weapon close at hand was invaluble in places such as these. After a short delay, the barkeep, a short, round man that somehow smelled worse than the rest of the establishment, leaned over the bar towards him. "What can I get ye, good sir?"

"How much for a meal and a room for the night?" Bryant tapped his gloved fingers on the wooden bar, the travel-worn leather resounding dully on the surface. "I may be here for a while."

The barkeep nodded, sticking out a grimy hand. "That'll be twenty coppers, my good sir. Would ye be liking some ale tonight as well? Best in all of Dürngrad."

Bryant nodded, counting out the proper amount of coinage from his pouch, before depositing it into the man's waiting palm. The barkeep gave the money a quick apprasing glance before dumping them them into his pocket. He told Bryant that the food would be ready in short while. Soon after, a full mug of some alchoholic beverage was slid down the bar, spilling a few drop onto the wooden surface. After tasting the liquid, Bryant came to the conclusion that if this was indeed the best ale in Dürngrad, then the other drinking establishments were indeed in dire straights.

He leaned onto the bar, his arms crossed. As he waited for his food, he couldn't help but feel like he was being watched...

pd Rydia

Re: ....

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Nov 22, 2002 4:46 pm

(OOC: I'll note that it's a good idea to recruit RPers in the OOC forum before starting RPs...the reason being you get lots and lots of OOC notes in your thread otherwise. Such as the following posts, which I am deleting because they CLUTTER. >_<<ul><small>Argus Devilman posted: (( OOC: Honestly, I see some potential. But too bad you are most likely gonna get this tossed in the grave yard =/ You should post in the OOC Forum and discuss this idea before doing anything. ))

Blaze posted: (I've gotta concur with Argus, old chap. :( That's some quality work there, but I'm not sure what the mods will have to say about you not posting the idea in the OOC forum first.)

Geocsuppi posted: [OOC: I also must add that I generally only RP with GM's that are registered.]

Jak Snide posted: (No, I'm not chucking this in the graveyard. No way. However, the point about advertising in the OOC forum first is correct. Servack, if you're looking for player's it's best to advertise an RP in the OOC forum first, otherwise people tend to pass over your RP. Really, it looks like you've got quality stuff here. Good luck to you, and welcome to the board!

Oh, and you may want to register a permanent account. ^_^

Edit: Oh, and I for one am interested in taking part in this. Now, to go hunt down some others to get into this thing...)

Oz 200 posted: OOC: count me in

Kraken posted: OOC: Looks cool wouldn't mind joining, gimme an idea of when you'd like me to join and I'll think up a char.

Blaze posted again: (Indeed. I'm interested in joining. Very interested. Bad me. :( )

The Duelist posted: (OOC: Aye, I am interested as well. )

Argus posted again: ( I'll join I guess....... )

Blaze posted again: ("I'll join I guess"

Argus, that's a bad attitude to have. o.O If you're not sure, then don't.)

FlamingDeth posted: (I ain't joining, but I'd like to point out that this is very well written. Yay! *gives new person a hat*)

Argus posted again: ( o_O Eh? I just meant "I guess..." By as I have no idea what so ever as who to join with... Not that I think this will be really bad or anything o__o Just I'm not sure on how I would come in and so on.... )</small></ul>So, yeah. These are your comments. I've deleted them in hopes that clutter doesn't kill this RP.)

Edited by: pd Rydia at: 11/22/02 3:49:22 pm

Jak Snide

*joins in*

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:06 pm

Bryant Cole's feelings weren't off the mark. A commoner sat at one of the tables in the inn, watching the man in a relaxed fashion as he sipped a fresh mug of ale.

"Hmm...who's this fellow, then?" he thought to himself, an eyebrow slightly raised. He'd seen plenty of his type come in and out of here before, but this one caught his eye. He had a hunch that this man was one to watch, and his gut instinct had steered his actions rightly most of the time.

So he continued to sit and watch, taking another gulp of his drink.

Blaze Yamato Spirit

*joins in also, 'cause he likes his RPs, he does*

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:49 pm

The door opened again, and a childlike cloaked figure edged through into the bar. It walked up to the counter, and struggled to get onto one of the tall bar stools.

'Sir, I am looking for a room...' The voice was female, high and lilting.

The barman replied, and coinage was exchanged for a room key. It was then that she removed her cloak, momentarily turning to face the rest of the bar, revealing a female halfling with long blonde hair cascading down her back. She bore a rune etched sickle at her side, and had an eye tattooed to her forehead, above her sparkling blue eyes.

Elementalist Daien

*joining too! :D!*

Unread postby Elementalist Daien » Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:51 pm

(Tell me if this character's giving you a headache. :P)

The door had merely enough time to close before it burst open with a loud thudding sound. Out of the door, a probably unfamiliar figure in such a place appeared: a tanned, dirty kid, with wild brown hair and brown eyes, showing no more than 13 years, wearing torn commoner's clothes, and wearing a large backpack on his back, and a small pouch on his side.

He walked in as if he owned the place and jumped on one of the seats with rather interesting ease, and slowly stoof

"Hey, Mr. Barman! I goot your moooneey!" he said, fumbling in his money pouch and dropping an interesting amount of money on the bartop. "Now I don't have to work in this old, stinky place anymore!" he continued, sticking his tongue out at the barman, then jumping down, and sitting down on the chair he was standing on. He turned around, and looked around interestedly at the people around him.

KraKeN

Re: *joining too! :D!*

Unread postby KraKeN » Fri Nov 22, 2002 7:45 pm

OCC:Hey-yeh I know but he's not actually drunk

The first thing the kid let eyes on however wasn't particularly interesting. A snore erupted from the corner where a huge man was sprawled across one of the bench seats which lined the walls of the dark pub. The mans face was finely chiseled with a short crop of black hair atop his head, he wore loose trousers and heavy boots with nothing covering his muscular torso. To keep warm, however, as if you could imagine such a man being cold, he was covered in a large black hooded cloak. A fittingly huge bastard sword was sheathed in a scabbard strapped around his waist and beside him, leaning against the wall was a large staff which tapered towards the ends and had thick leather cord wrapped around its center.

Around him was scattered the various paraphernalia which would cause a man to sleep in such an uncomfortable position, namely, a couple of empty wine skins.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kraken@rpgww60462>KraKeN</A]&nbsp; Image at: 11/22/02 6:59:41 pm

The Duelist

Unread postby The Duelist » Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:39 pm

The Door opened again.

This man who walked through wore an old brown cloak over a set of leather armor. He didn't seem too imposing, in fact, one might go as far as to say he didn't have a soldierly bone in his body.

In fact, you might be right. Then you'd take a closer look.

If you took the closer look, you'd see that, despite his lack of armament, that his hands were heavy with callouses. If you could see in his boots, you would note the feet that were tough enough to allow this man to walk barefoot to his destinations unimpeded by rocks or other underbrush.

Despite all this, the key factor to this human was the look in his eye. It held a strange glimmer, a grim view that was held only by a professional soldier.

He walked to the bar, sat down, and asked what the bartender had...

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:41 pm

In one corner of the bar sat a man in a sleaveless shirt and loose pants. Long bandages were wrapped around his arms, and form fitting cloth shoes were on his feet.
His hair was deep black, and hung in a loose pony tail that dangled all the way down to his waist. Sharp, green eyes had noted Bryant the moment he walked in. Their owner stood and wandered over to the bar.
He leaned on it casually, and spoke to Bryant in a strong, smooth voice. "We don't get many mercinaries in this town. It's good to see another, now and then."

Lorre Lugosi

Unread postby Lorre Lugosi » Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:37 pm

he had been at the bar a while, and was seated a couple of stools down from Bryant. his black hair was cut short to his eyebrows, and his goatee trimmed. he looked out of the corner of his eye to the mercenary. he dressed in a loose black and pants with dark brown boots, his short swords sheathed at his sides.

"mercenary?" he thought, "could use some work."

"so." he said as he walked up, "what's you're buisness here, if you don't mind my asking. I'd just like to know where I could find some work."

Yari Koneko

I'd be kicking myself forever if I didn't join...

Unread postby Yari Koneko » Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:05 pm

A girl was walking down the street of the city, clad in a shimmering white robe, and wearing simple white shoes. She was fairly short, with straight black hair, neatly combed, nearly black eyes which were pools of shadow and reflection, and a dark complexion; a stark contrast to her clothing.

Indeed; she didn't like it much herself. But she was required to. Required to by that same stupid order which always kept her in the same place, the same city, until she was "prepared for the world." What nonsense. She was seventeen; almost grown up. She wanted to see the sights, smell the roses; all in all, just do something other than practice healing on small animals. It was a waste of her time, and it was a waste of her talents. In short, Yolanda Garcia was bored.

Not only that, but her personal talent, her own specialty, was scoffed at by one and all. "Who needs a magical apple?" they would say, mocking her often. "Stick to white magic. It's practical." Well, she would show them, no doubt about it.

She needed to get out, to leave for a while. But didn't really know how.

The only thing that registered with her was that she needed a drink. It was something to do, if a crappy thing.

She strode through the doors of the Rusty Nail. She immediately and without speaking to anyone sat down, and ordered a drink. A strong drink.

Edited by: Yari Koneko at: 11/22/02 10:05:48 pm

Oz 200

Re: I'd be kicking myself forever if I didn't join...

Unread postby Oz 200 » Sat Nov 23, 2002 4:50 am

There was a man or maybe it was a shadow of a man walking through the little city.
He was dressed in black cloak covering every inch of his body, he looked at the towns people
These were just simple farmers why was he here they could hardly need his blades but something drew him to this place. “Well might as well look for a place to rest” he walked up to an old house with the sign “The Rusty Nail”. He walked in to the building, the light was poor and the heavy air was troublesome and hard to breath. Looked over the crowd, he saw nothing of worth his attention and made his way to the bar disk. He pushed the away the hood reviling his silver grey hair, the elf looked at the bartender with his deep cold blue eyes, “Give me something to drink any thing will do”

Edited by: Oz 200 at: 11/23/02 11:54:51 am

Elementalist Daien

Re: A Sell-Sword's Tale [Freestyle – All Welcome]

Unread postby Elementalist Daien » Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:32 pm

The boy looked at the first thing that really attracted his attention- the halfling that stood a few feet away from him. He jumped down and looked at her intently, then spoke:

"Hello, what are you doing in this stinky, dirty place?", which was quite ironic, considering he was not quite clean or perfumed himself "And how come are you so short? Didn't your mother feed you enough?" he said, looking down at her (unless she is taller than 5 feet), unaware of how rude he just had been.

He looked intently at her, waiting for an answer..

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Sat Nov 23, 2002 7:12 pm

'I am on a quest, of sorts...' She replied, turning on her bar stool to face him. 'And I am a halfling - I am SUPPOSED to be short.'

She blinked.

'Besides, I on't think this is a particularly stinky or dirty place.'

Elementalist Daien

Unread postby Elementalist Daien » Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:18 pm

The boy's eyes widened as he heard her say that she was a halfling.

"oooh! You're a halfling? Are you, like, a thief? Lune told me that halflings make really good thieves! Are you?" he said. If anyone thought that the boy might have had some tact, they probably given up by now.

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:37 pm

The halfling stiffened, obviously insulted.

'Young man, no I am not. I think such a profession is highly dishonourable. And suggesting that halflings are good thieves is slander!'

The Duelist

Unread postby The Duelist » Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:40 pm

The Man in at the bar slowly drank from his mug.

Adjusting his cloak, he silently wondered why exactly he had started his little quest. He could have stayed with his master, and kept studying under him...but...something just kept calling him...he had gone over it several other times, but he knew it didn't really mattered.

His name was Derrick, and he carried no weapon for he WAS a weapon. But even weapons can get lonely.

Silently, he listened in on the conversations around him...things just might get interesting...

Elementalist Daien

Unread postby Elementalist Daien » Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:46 pm

The boy lowered his head as the halfling scolded him, and sniffed

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to! It's just what Lune told me! I didn't mean to!" he said, apologetically, not letting his eyes off the floor

But... Should I tell her what I am? She said that thieves are... he thought

"So... uh... what... uh... are you?" he tried to somehow change the topic

Edited by: Elementalist Daien at: 11/23/02 9:04:47 pm

Jak Snide

Heh

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Nov 24, 2002 10:15 am

Memn chuckled almost silently as he listened to the boy and the halfling talk. He'd suspected what the kid was when he came into the Rusty Nail, and his line of conversation pretty much confirmed his suspicions. Still, no need to make himself the centre of attention. So he maintained his guise of disinterest, and continued to listen, his eyes elsewhere.

Lorre Lugosi

Unread postby Lorre Lugosi » Sun Nov 24, 2002 12:13 pm

the dark clad man looked away from his conversation, but not noticibly. he had only caught glimpses of the boy's conversation with the halfling, but got enough of it, to be slightly amused. he leaned back against the bar waiting for an answer.

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Re: Heh

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Sun Nov 24, 2002 1:43 pm

The halfling looked around the bar warily, before her gaze settled again on the boy. She looked incredibly nervous.

'I'd rather not say. I find people don't react well to it.'

And that's an understatement...

Yari Koneko

Unread postby Yari Koneko » Sun Nov 24, 2002 1:57 pm

Yolanda eavesdropped with interest.

IM: They're probably both rather shady characters... interesting... nice change from the usual locals...

Elementalist Daien

Unread postby Elementalist Daien » Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:30 pm

The boy just looked at the halfling for a few seconds, then, as you would imagine, slowly (read: in around 10 seconds) lost all interest in the halfling, as he looked around the tavern.

"Heeey... That's a lot of people. Why do they come here, anyways? The drinks taste of pee, and the food is really old. I know, I worked here. Did you know that the steak is almost two weeks old?" he nodded.

By now, he probably wasn't all too liked by the barman...

The Duelist

Unread postby The Duelist » Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:45 pm

...and Derrick could tell.

Looking on impassively at the scene, he wondered how red the Barman would get before he did something ill-advised...

Lorre Lugosi

Unread postby Lorre Lugosi » Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:02 pm

he looked down at his sword hilt. inscribed was "Cesar". he didn't know much else. he looked over at the bartender. his closer view of the man's rising anger allowed him to see a few veins popping up. Cesar felt it best to relocate to the other side of the two mercenaries, who eyed him suspicously. not feeling rather welcomed he moved over to a seat. the only thing on his mind was trying to find work, he needed money to survive, then he could worry about the questions he had.

Yari Koneko

Unread postby Yari Koneko » Sun Nov 24, 2002 5:34 pm

Yolanda's aquired instincts (even thought that's an oxymoron) propped up immediately. "Calm yourself, sir," she said quickly to the barman, and quickly shoved the kid outside with surprising speed and strength.

"What exactly were you trying to accomplish? Aside from getting yourself beaten up, of course..." she said to the kid in a surprisingly lecturous tone.

IM: Stupid kid, disturbing the peace like that; he's free to leave if he doesn't like it...

Edited by: Yari Koneko at: 11/24/02 4:35:35 pm

Elementalist Daien

Unread postby Elementalist Daien » Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:00 pm

The boy just looked at her for a few minutes, trying to process what Yolanda had just told him, then smiled widely.

"Heeeeh. But it was SO much fun getting back at that man!" he said, winking and razzing her. "He made me work there just because I couldn't pay! That outta show 'im!"

... He winked and razzed again.

"Besides... If I REALLY wanted to, I could have done SO much wooorse..." he said, grinning mischievously.

Edited by: Elementalist Daien at: 11/24/02 5:01:47 pm

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:16 pm

The halfling, meanwhile, sat on her barstool, quietly thinking. She eventually decided not to order any food, just in case the boy had spoke the truth...

Yari Koneko

Unread postby Yari Koneko » Sun Nov 24, 2002 9:44 pm

Yolanda giggled, then quickly caught herself.

"Yes... I would've made you work if you couldnt've (OOC: How is that word apostraphe-ated, anyway?) paid, either." she said smartly. "Why'd you even order food without money?"

Elementalist Daien

Unread postby Elementalist Daien » Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:21 am

The boy looked the the side, and grumbled

"That Lune played a trick on me!" he said, with a tone of irritation. "He took me here, telling me he -" he stopped and decided to skip it

"He took me here, telling me he'll pay for me, then he disappeared before I paid!" he said, with a much simpler tone than before.

He ended his small explanation with a side note "... Oh, and I wasn't kidding about the steak or the drinks." He smiled, though this time it was less hyper...

Oz 200

Unread postby Oz 200 » Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:13 am

The elf looked at the drink the barman had given him and took the decision not to drink it.
He looked around, there were plenty of armed men and they it seemed as if the were waiting for something to happen. He stretched out for his drink and pored it into a flowerpot,

*sight* “What to do in a dump like this” he said right out in the blue

Yari Koneko

I see...

Unread postby Yari Koneko » Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:03 pm

She grimaced at the mention of two-week old steak

IM: That I probably would've eaten!!!

but she returned to the subject matter at hand. The boy was making a little more sense, but even so...

"So why'd you take it out on the barkeep, instead of on this... Lune character?"

The name Lune sounded vaguely familiar, but from where?

Elementalist Daien

Unread postby Elementalist Daien » Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:13 pm

As she asked that question, he got the same mischievous grin that she had seen once or twice before

"Oh... And you think I'm going to let him get away with it? I only did that to the barman because he didn't care about what happened... Besides, I wasn't even trying." he said, grinning.

"And why are you asking me all these questions anyway, miss?" he noted.

Yari Koneko

Re: I see...

Unread postby Yari Koneko » Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:06 pm

Yolanda answered without a moment's hesitation, "Because I'm deciding whether or not to smack you. As it is, probably not." Despite saying this, she gave him a light backhand to the back of the head. She turned, strode back inside with a nonchalant "stay out of trouble, kid" and noted someone pouring their drink into a flowerpot, the plant within quickly wilting.

IM: Dear goddess... I need some of that!

She ordered the very same (very strong) drink, paying and then pouring about half of it into a vial, smirking to herself.

IM: Never know when a bottle of extremely corrosive and toxic fluid may come in handy.

Edited by: Yari Koneko at: 11/26/02 9:14:39 pm

Oz 200

Unread postby Oz 200 » Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:15 am

He looked at the girl and shook his head, ether she was crazy or brave.

“You actually going to drink that?” he asked with disbelief in his voice. In pointed at the little vial in her hand.

Yari Koneko

Unread postby Yari Koneko » Wed Nov 27, 2002 6:57 pm

Yolanda turned with a twisted smile. "No, but I pity the poor sap who's going to..."

She strode over to the man, and stood in front of the flowerpot.

IM: Awww... poor plant...

She began to concentrate and speak softly; the plant began to greenen again and pick itself up.

The Duelist

Unread postby The Duelist » Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:25 pm

Derrick's eyebrow rose as he saw the woman heal the plant.

IM: must be a nice plant. Hehhehe.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:24 am

(Hm. Looks like the GM ran off. I'd suggest that someone else take over the GMing job...this RP looked promising...)

PSLoyalist

Re: Heh

Unread postby PSLoyalist » Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:48 am

(i'm a very traditional person...i'll use Angel again)

A man no more then nineteen or twenty years of age calmly walked down teh path leading through a nearby forrest. His black cape whiped and cracked in the wind reveling a skillfully wooven leather armor. It was dyed a dark green color. His leggings were also wooven leather tainted slightly black. Black tapperings of cloth covered the mans face to keep his identity unrevieled. A large long bow was strapped to his back, that was made of a strong red oak tree and curved in many places. Attached to his girdle was several potions and a worn, knicked garnet sword that was held ina torn and tattered sheth. Judging by the several types of potions attached to his belt, he had a large alcemic knowladge.

The woods stretched overhead and covered teh path with darkness, weeds and undergrowth covered teh path and made it difficult for caravan travel.

Ahead could be seen a light leading out of teh forrest and into an open field. As the man approached teh opening he could see that below the field was a decient sized town bustling with activity. He walked down to teh gate of teh town and stoped infront of teh guards, they conversed quickly and opened the gate.

The man walked in and surveying teh area he quickly found the best looking of teh structures in town. As he walked closer he noticed a sign that said "The Rusty Nail" embrodered into it. Angel walked through teh doors and taking a good look around found a seat at teh bar. He sat next to a halfling that was having a conversation with a man next to her.

"Can i get ye anything?" The barkeep said to teh man who just sat down.

"Yeah, some rum, then i'm on my way again." The man said throwing down some coins.

The barkeep turned around and retrived a mug of rum from a jug behind him. He then set it down in front of teh man and tried to start a conversation.

"I havn't seen ye 'rund much? What's ye name be?" The barkeep said leaning over almost knocking the man out with his horrible breath.

"Angel." The man said gagging slightly.

"eh? Angel is it? that's an odd name." The barkeep said with slight confusion.

"Go choke on it." Angel said after finishing his rum and slamming it down on teh bar, he then got up and walked for the door.

"choke on it!?" Teh barkeep said with an angered voice and a raised fist.

Angel was alread out teh door before teh keep could do anyhting serious.

Angel observed more of teh city and could see that it was well established, being so far away from any kind of war, it wasn't surprising.

"Well, my services won't be needed here." Angel said as he gave a sarcastic eye to a peacful couple walking down teh street. "This is sick, how can these peopel live so...peacfully, it disgust me that they don't knwo the thrill fo battle."

Angel continued through teh town and towards teh gate, the guards let him through again and he was on his way to teh next town for, hopefully, some work.

Return to Other RPs