The Planewalkers' Other Journies

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
Idran1701
None some call is air am

Re: The Planewalkers' Other Journies

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:51 pm

Outlands - Tunnels

Florence moves to grab the human's feet, and together the two quickly get him to the healing table. She removes the arrows from his chest, and almost instantly, its magics begin to take effect. "What is this, Shawn? What happened to you? Are you all right? You look like...like a creature from Lightning or something."

Meanwhile, while they concern themselves with Shawn, the goblin picks up one of the human's daggers. Her knuckles turn white around the haft of the dagger as she stares at the corpse, and her hand quivers. Without a word, she attacks the body, stabbing the blade into its chest again and again. Her hands and clothes grow stained with the creature's blood, and it's only her injuries that bring her to stop, collapsing with exhaustion as she gasps for air, eyes squeezed closed with barely-constrained fury.

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:06 pm

"I'm perfectly fine!" Shawn says, making a small effort to pose again. "That table just got me a all charged up."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:57 am

Outlands - Tunnels

Florence gives the goblin little more than a glance; it's not her place to interfere, and if she was in her shoes, she'd likely feel much the same way. She focuses on Shawn, letting another help the other girl here. "Shawn. This is more than that. What did you do? First you turned into that catfolk, and now...just talk to us, Shawn."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:08 am

As she turns to look at Florence, Shawn's mood visibly falls, as her body seems to shrink down to it's normal age, though she still appears to be quite fit, and made of lightning. "..I told you before. I was fine. I...I got stuck."

She sighs, and looks away. "I don't know what I am. I'm some sort of shape shifter, and...Well, I'm still trying to get a hold on it. I was human, but...Well, I've been this way since a little after...I was...you know..."

She glances towards Rocket, looking for some comfort. "Alone."

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:44 am

With the danger of battle having passed, Rosalyn also noticed Shawn's new form with a bit of a start, though her surprise mostly only came from the fact that the girl had managed to transform despite the Spire's influence. She had, after all, already seen Shawn in an altered form before.

The revelation that the table would restore the human even now came as quite a relief. Florence and Theller were the ones to take up the job of moving the man, though, so Rosalyn stayed near the goblin. She didn't bother impeding the goblin's mutilation of the flayer, hoping that the retribution would do the creature some small amount of good.

"He was in my mind for a short time," she said once the goblin had finally exhausted herself. "I'm sure it's nothing compared to what you've been through, but... it was enough to know it's bad. So, I... I'm sorry..."

Then, looking at what was left of the Flayer, she drew her sword, her expression becoming quite a bit harder.

"It had no respect for the sanctity of other creatures' lives, so why should it be shown any respect in death?" Rosalyn mused with a grim calmness. "Removing the head will make it more difficult to resurrect, likely to the point where no one will bother. Hopefully..."

She then set about doing just that.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:21 am

Outlands - Tunnels

The goblin pulls away as Rosalyn speaks, letting the knife remain in the flayer's chest and sitting back on her heels. Opening her eyes, she watches the corpse. Rosalyn draws her blade, and slices cleanly through the flayer's neck, rendering a gruesome sight even more so. But still, it does seem to give her some odd degree of comfort; she almost smiles at the sight, wringing her hands together.

Florence stares, struck silent by this recent revelation. Finally, after a long silence, she shakes her head. "...Shawn...why did you think you had to hide this? I can help you. We all can. You've had a lot of loss, but you're not alone." While Florence talks, Rocket sleeps on the table; despite all that's happened, he seems at ease. If Shawn hadn't come by...

...but she did. And he's the better for it.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:35 am

"I have to hide it because I have NO IDEA what I am, Florence!" Shawn says sharply. She looks at herself and grins, seeming to cheer up a bit. "Not that it doesn't have benefits."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:42 am

Outlands - Tunnels

"That's no reason to hide it. We can't help you without knowing about your problems." Florence glances to Theller and Rosalyn briefly, before looking back to her. "If it's hard on you, we can help make it easier. But you've got to trust us. Do you trust us, Shawn?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:23 am

"It's not about trust, Florence!" Shawn says. "It's that most people wouldn't be comfortable hanging around with someone who doesn't know who she is. They'd be shocked." She stops for a minute, as if thinking. "Wow, even I thought that one was forced."

She shakes her head, and puts her hands back on her hips, giving Florence a forced look. "It's just not conductive to my self esteem, okay?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:17 am

Outlands - Tunnels

"Not comfortable? Why would that bother any-"

Florence cuts herself off as a voice picks up from the secret chamber. "...Why?"

Emerging from the room, the older human leans against the doorway, hardly able to even keep himself upright. He mutters his words quietly but forcefully, not making eye contact with anyone. "Why'd you bring me back?"

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:09 pm

Theller wasn't quite sure how to process Shawn's transformation, and so stayed silent during the conversation between her and Florence. However, when the human came back from being healed, Theller did respond. "We brought you back because no move you made against us was made of your own will. You were under the influence of an outside force, from which you've been freed. Are all of your wounds healed?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:25 pm

Outlands - Tunnels

He slowly makes his way forward, leaning against the wall, slumping as if the weight of the entire world rests on his back. "...They took it. It's all gone. I don't...I don't want to be back..." All the strength he once showed seems to be drained out of him, his expression drooping like a man 20 years older than he, his eyes dull and lifeless.

Watching him, the goblin scowls with disapproval but bites her tongue, keeping whatever words she wants to shout to him to herself. Florence looks on, lost how to deal with someone like this, hoping someone else can handle things more effectively than her.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:15 am

"It's not just about you." Shawn snaps. "There are other people that need you, too! Even if you don't know it!"

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:41 pm

Rosalyn glanced down to the goblin after the human spoke, then looked back up to him.

"You can't just let them make you give up," she said. "You've got the freedom now to build a new life. And if you need any help, we can give it. Place to stay, anything like that. That goes for both of you."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:46 am

Outlands - Tunnels

Not responding to Shawn and Rosalyn's attempts at turning him around, he stares off into the distance with dead eyes, looking utterly broken by his experiences. The goblin, however, speaks up quietly, her calm tone belying the blood that covers her body. "I don't have anyone now. There's nothing left for me anywhere else, and I don't even remember a family to look for. Can I come along with the four of you?"

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:21 pm

Theller nodded. "From here we return to the Infinite Staircase and the base of the Planewalkers' Guild. You are - both of you - free to join us on our way there. It is a fine place to find a new life for oneself and a fine group with which to do so - trust me, as one who has done it." He looked at all those present. "My wounds are not so bad as to slow me down, but as long as we have use of this apparent healing table, it would behoove us to use it...are any of you injured badly?"

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:04 pm

Seeing the human's lack of response, Rosalyn let out a sigh. She still hoped he would eventually come out of it, but she also knew that what he had gone through was no light matter.

At least the goblin was willing to do something to help herself. As Theller responded, Rosalyn nodded in agreement.

"Like I said, anything you need," she put in after Theller had finished. Then, at the mention of the table. "I did take one hit, so I might as well get that healed up."

Then she gave the goblin one more look.

"She could probably do with a bit more healing as well."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:48 pm

Shawn nods at the goblin, crossing her arms. "I'd be shocked if the guild didn't help you get back together."

She stretched her arms over her head, before melting back into a lightning bolt, bouncing twice and reforming on the table, sitting crosslegged. "Just gonna recharge a bit so that I don't turn back to normal for awhile..."

She sits straight, and attempts to soak up the energy, putting it towards further use of her current shape. "Hey, maybe if I soak up enough, I'll turn into lightning for real!"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:30 am

Outlands - Tunnels

Each of the injured individuals heals themselves up in turn through the healing altar, and soon the entire party is recovered. Shawn again finds herself empowered by its energies, granting her an extension, however long, in her current form.

Things are finishing up here; if there's nothing else people have in mind right here, I'll go ahead and push through to the wrap-up. People can investigate the city some more as well, but I'll take care of that in summary for the people doing such, since there's not much left plotwise in that respect.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:36 pm

After healing his own wounds, Theller bent down to examine the mind flayer's remains, looking for anything of interest that he could take off the body. He reached into himself for the power to detect magic and used it to scan the room for anything portable, not forgetting to find where the headband the mind flayer was wearing ended up.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:45 pm

Theller:
Spoiler:
The headband gives off a moderate aura of transmutation, magical in nature. In scanning the rest of the room, you're nearly blinded by the table; it gives off an overwhelming aura which you can't pinpoint in terms of school (though given the nature of its use so far it's likely safe to assume it's conjuration), but you can tell is also magical in nature, not psionic.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:50 pm

Theller winced and clutched his head. "The table might be the most magical object I have ever attempted to use my powers of arcane sight on." He blinked a few times as his sight returned to normal. "Perhaps when we return to the Guild, we should see about having it removed from here and brought to the Infinite Staircase? I am certain that having a magical healing table would be infinitely useful...perhaps this is the source of the tales about healing coming from this place?"

He examined the table with his regular sight. "It looks to be older than its surroundings, and certainly does not seem to be designed with the mind flayer aesthetic in mind, and the inscriptions I see are not those I've come to associate with them from exploring here."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:50 pm

Outlands - Tunnels

Examining the altar closely, the party confirms Theller's observations; the table is inscribed with markings that closely resemble sideways tally marks, completely different from the four-lined script that they've found filling the tunnel. It almost certainly is not a mind flayer artifact, which makes the question of its existence here quite interesting. Unfortunately, it seems that it will end up quite difficult to remove - it almost seems to have grown from the ground, connected smoothly with the rock beneath - but that's a possibility to investigate after they depart.

Gathering themselves together, and collecting what they can, the party departs, returning to the rope with which they entered the caves what seems like so long ago, the refugees doing their best to keep collected as they pass through the central chamber. Once on the surface, they head out from the village, avoiding the charnelhouse in the central square, taking a path anti-Spireward back towards Bradshire, and from there the guild. There are still some questions left unanswered - What is Thoom? Why did those flayers turn on their own kind? - but perhaps they will be answered another day. For now, this trip is put behind them over the course of the week-long trek back home.

And the adventure is concluded! Story XP first of all.

2400 XP for all three players. And ripping Shini's Child's Play idea off, I'll be using an MVP system from here out. Each PC can vote for one person other than themselves that they think most deserve a special reward, and that player will receive an extra XP boost on top of the story award.

Seethe, Rosalyn has levelled up from this XP award, but hold off on levelling her just yet. Going to be putting together that improved Fighter class I mentioned before in the thread first. Also, PM me when you get the chance, I've got some other RP stuff for you over the trip back. Shini and Spleen, if you've got anything of that nature for over the trip back (and I suspect you might), we can handle that through IM whenever. You're going to be pretty much right in sync with the other party when you return as well, so keep that in mind too.

Altogether, here's what the party was able to find in the city treasure-wise. Spleen, I'll assume that Theller was eventually able to pinpoint the schools of each with detect magic over the next week (basically the equivalent of taking 20 with how much time is passing), so I'll go ahead and include that information as well. I'll also make checks for your identifying them through Detect Magic + Spellcraft, and list what specific ones are if you succeed.

Glowing crystals from Crystal Lab - Power Stones (Psionic equivalent of scroll)
    Scarab-shaped golden brooch with attached choker from Central Plaza - Spellsink Scarab (MIC; Protects against spell or psionic damage)
      (Moderate, abjuration)
    Clear gem filled with green fluid from Central Plaza
      (Moderate?, psionic)
    Silver-banded ring with three small diamonds from Central Plaza - Ring of Four Winds (MIC; AC bonus or feather fall 4/day)
      (Faint, evocation)
    Silver headband from slain flayer
      (Moderate, transmutation)

I'll drop the full descriptions for MIC items in the OOC thread.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:11 pm

Votes are in, and Rosalyn has won the MVP award for this adventure. She thus receives a 5% XP boost, giving her an extra 750 XP. Congratulations, Seethe!

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:13 am

Okay, the other thread's wrapping up too, so everyone back over there if you want to do CIing with people or anything; if you'd rather do stuff in chat with someone, I'll set that up too. I'll do the usual between-mission stuff with folks too.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:06 am

Infinite Staircase

With preparations complete, the two parties head out from the Guild landing, soon making their separate ways along the Staircase. Eletta's group has a brief three-hour trip ahead of them, before they reach the same landing Theller once used some long months ago - a platform of darkened class, matching the archway and door that leads into the city of Blurophil. On the far side of the gate still stands the same kennel of hgaun, native animals to air with the bodies of dogs, the heads of birds, the eyes of insects, and wings just barely large enough to allow the things to fly about. Some ancient wizard's experiment, to be sure, but in the centuries since their creation they've become common hunting animals and even pets for some of the mortal locals.

As the party enters the kennelhouse, the door swings shut, a work of rusted iron on this side of the gateway. The hgaun soon begin to bark, a high-pitched squawking that quickly brings a frown to Eletta's face. She gives a brief muttered curse, barely sparing the caged animals a look before heading to the exit. Before she can reach it, however, the kennelkeeper steps in with concern; a slightly dim human by the name of Tonner that Theller well remembers. He recalls the keeper as a cheerful sort, and someone who barely minds the occasional intrusion in or out of the Staircase.

Phelan's group on Ice goes here.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:12 am

Theller knew very well that he was no longer quite the same young raptoran as he was when he passed the other way through this portal. He realized that he was far less confident in his ability to take on the dangers of the multiverse than he was when he set out - ironic, considering that the wealth of new skills and experiences he'd gained since then had bolstered his abilities in that area considerably. He had seen too much to believe he could take on any danger, even in the short time he had been traveling with the Guild; he had watched a demon drag away a new friend of Theller's as it laughed cruelly at Theller's attempts to strike it with his spear, and he had stood with another friend and fellow-traveler as she endured the weight of being under a mind flayer's sway. Youthful overconfidence was being replaced with cautious realism, and the difference in him was striking, even after only half a year.

Still, there were two milestones that the raptoran was still waiting for with what he could recognize as youthful impatience: Magic, which Theller had been told to expect to come naturally to him after he began to learn spell-thievery from his old mentor, and flight, which was the aspiration of every young raptoran, the definitive sign of adulthood. Adulthood and return, Theller reminded himself, though it seems I shall be returning early. He wasn't of a mind to believe that an ancient tradition of voluntary exile should preclude him from returning home to rescue his people, although his own fierce pride nagged at him; it was never his intention to face his family - especially his brothers - without first gaining experience, skill, and wealth. At the very least, he wanted to be able to fly.

Theller spied Tonner and bowed.

Spoiler:
"Excuse our breath in your air; we shall be out of your way shortly."
he said in Auran.

"We should be on our way," he told his group in Common, speaking slowly for Eletta's benefit and herding them out of the kennel with sweeping motions. "Where are we going? Back to Homespire?"

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:31 pm

Garick walked along obligingly. He had never been to the Plane of Air, but he was looking forward to it. It occurred to him that perhaps he should have gotten some form of ability to float or fly, but that rational part of his was overcome by the part that said "Eh, we'll deal with it when we get to it." He nodded to the Kennelkeeper, though he also wished he'd obtained some way of speaking Auran. Yet again, though, that head strong part of him decided that if there was anything diplomatic that needed to be said, Theller would say it. Anything else could well be translated with the blunt end of his hammer and the pointy end of his sword.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:39 pm

Blurophil

Tonner smiles, nodding to Theller as he replies.
Spoiler:
"It is always good to have guests, friend. And I am glad to see you back so soon, Eletta! I see you have found your cousin? I am quite happy for you!"
Turning to the rest of the party, he extends his hands in greeting, speaking Common in a stilted but fairly intelligible accent. "You are friends of Theller? I am glad to meet you all! Or are you wishing to rent a hgaun? We have many for rent if you are needing." Eletta gives the kennelkeeper a friendly smile, shaking his hand, but otherwise stays silent, letting the rest of the travelers speak first.

Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!

Unread postby Nakibe » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:58 am

"Ah, pleased to meet you," started Trivale. For a moment he frowns just a little at the use of the strange flowing language around him, but there was little worth doing about that just now. More interesting at the moment was perhaps the offer of hgaun rental. "I can only speak for myself, but I don't think I'll need to rent a hgaun just yet. But perhaps in the future, I might." Thunderstones, check. Bow, check. Lockpicks... wait, when did I carry those? Stray and annoying thoughts weren't exactly the best way to start out.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:14 am

Rosalyn hadn't been seen very much around the guild over the time between missions. Since the encounter with the Mind Flayer, she had been a more withdrawn than before. Focusing hard on her martial discipline and that of the goblin girl she had promised to train, she meant to strengthen herself and her new student in both body and mind so that neither of them would ever again meet the fate that had befallen them that day. Her efforts were already starting to show, but road still stretched on.

She had, however, eventually heard that her traveling companions would be departing again, though this time through second-hand information. That being said, she felt lucky that she had found out when she had and managed to join a group as they left. It had left her with little time to prepare and only a limited understanding of what the purpose of the excursion was this time. But she did know that a friend's hometown was in need of help, and she wasn't going to miss the chance to lend that help.

Presently, Rosalyn was glancing over the winged creatures in the kennel as Theller spoke to the attendant. It wasn't until the conversation turned to Common that she spoke up.

"Friends of Theller," the girl answered. "But it's a pleasure."

Then, to Theller's question to the group.

"Your call, I suppose," she said. "Wherever we need to go, I would think it best to go straight there."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:11 am

Garick looked skeptically at the hgaun, then back at Theller. "Do we need to ride one of these things to get to Homespire? Don't forget that we don't have wings." He looked at them again, wondering how to actually ride one, then decided it was best to leave such questions until after they've decided to take one.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:53 am

Blurophil

Tonner shakes his head briskly, laughing as he waves his hands. "No no, you don't ride hgaun! They're too small! You might crush them! No no, they hunt, andsniff around, and sometimes play. They're pets!"

Eletta looks to Garick, with a small smile. "No wings to fly here. Falling. Much fun!"

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:53 pm

Garick smiled, thinking about the prospect. He imagined him falling through the air, the wind whipping past him and through his air. Sounded like a heck of a lot of fun. Then he stopped as he realized something. "So, then how do you stop yourself once you're falling?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:28 pm

Blurophil

"Fall backwards."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:13 pm

"I don't think we'll be needing a hgaun, friend Tonner, but you have my thanks," Theller said.

"Have you heard anything of our kind since Eletta left?" he wondered.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:04 am

Blurophil

Tonner shakes his head. "But I don't follow things much. Did something happen, Theller?"

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:28 pm

"A small matter, to which we'll attend. Care for your charges and don't let it concern you overmuch."

Theller motioned for the others to follow him, bidding Tonner a good day.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:36 am

Garick was still quite confused. Falling backwards? He had no idea how to do that. Then it hit him. He'd been on a few planes where you could decide which direction was up and down. "So you can just say 'that direction is up' and you'd fall the other way?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:16 am

Blurophil

Eletta nods to Garick as the party heads out from the building, looking towards the non-natives with a smile. "Takes long practice. Not like flying. But fun."

Beyond the building, the Planewalkers get their first good look at the city of Blurophil. A short city, but broad, it stands atop a metal disc at least two miles across, the blue tint of a translucent wall of magical force extending in a dome above the entire settlement, leaving a gap of about 10 feet between it and the edge of the disc. Windmills line that edge, and if a person looks closely, they can just see the shimmer in the air from near-invisible tendrils connecting each to the enchanted hemisphere. On the disc itself, buildings stand with a good amount of space between one another, giving a wide field of view almost all the way to the far side of Blurophil. In the center of the city, tall spires of glass and metal reach for the sky, surrounding a well-kept park, green and lush.

Past the city's edge, it's obvious where the plane's nickname is taken. It's as if looking into an infinite, near-cloudless sky in all directions - up, out, and down. But for the small rock isle hovering in the sky overhead beyond the dome, just close enough to see it for what it is, there's bare but specks visible beyond the city, but Theller knows one of those specks as the city where he spent his entire life up to the start of his pilgrimage. It's a few days' journey by glidewing, half that by fall so long as they're careful not to slam into the side. From here, it's impossible to make out any details; it's sure to be at least a day before they get anywhere close enough to do so.

The rescued goblin seems about to reply to Eletta before seeing their surroundings, the sight of it all sending her into silent, open-mouthed awe. She turns to Eletta and Theller, unsure whether to be amazed or terrified. "...You live here? Where's the ground? It all just goes on forever!"

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs