The Planewalkers' Other Journies

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:07 pm

"I do not disagree." The knight said, although his voice did betray a flicker of doubt. Still, he was too tired to argue the point, and he almost felt that being killed in his sleep would perhaps not be a fate worse than staying in this place. By the gods he longed for the cozy fires and the lively company of the Guilds' base of operations.

"I appreciate the offer, Morthrexa. It would seem I was wrong in judging you by my own prejudice."

It was about as close as the knight errant could get to an official apology, but the sincerity in it was obvious.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:37 pm

Pandemonium

Grinning, the demon nods to Alvar. "A gracious apology, which I accept entirely." With the party's decision made, they set up camp for the "night" once more, getting a much more restful sleep this time. The dreams seem to be worse the longer they spend here, being increasingly-terrifying twists on the themes experienced last, but they get a full rest, at least.

And so they continue on in the darkness, Morthrexa keeping more quiet than he had been as they near their destination, but still eager to pick up conversation with any that offer it. Understanding that their rations may be running low, he even catches them the occasional native life form while they sleep. Each day, they awaken to the smell of cooking larvae, creatures apparently considered a delicacy to his kind. The cooked body suggests it to be a two-foot-long insect of some sort, large enough to slice into steaks; possibly a strange dish for some of them, but the offer stands if they wish to accept it, and the scent is actually not as awful as they might expect.

From time to time, they hear the occasional growl from the darkness, but for the most part, they've been left alone so far. In fact, on the third day, they even start to think they can hear the burble of the river below the ever-present cutting din; perhaps merely a figment of their imagination, but it helps push them on, at least.

Right now, though, things may be soon to go badly. Ears perking at the distant sound of many footsteps from a side tunnel, Morthrexa holds up a hand, gesturing for them to quickly quench the torch and duck into an alcove. The wind is especially heavy here, thankfully for cloaking their scent, but if it is him, will it be enough?

Alvar:
Spoiler:
The constant noise is starting to wear on Alvar's nerves. He's not sure how much more he can take, but it's not helping his disposition at all. For now, it's got him distracted enough that he'll have a -1 penalty on Wis- and Int-based checks until he can get away from the noise, and he should be a bit more on edge than normal.

Theller:
Spoiler:
The noise is starting to wear on Theller's nerves. He's not sure how much more he can take, but it's not helping his disposition at all. For now, it's got him distracted enough that he'll have a -1 penalty on Wis- and Int-based checks until he can get away from the noise, and he's a bit more on edge than normal.

Trivale:
Spoiler:
The noise is really starting to wear on Trivale's nerves. He's not sure how much more he can take, but it's starting to make him a little snappish. For now, it's got him distracted enough that he'll have a -1 penalty on Wis- and Int-based checks until he can get away from the noise, and he should be a bit more on edge than normal.

Zant:
Spoiler:
Even through the trials, Zant stays firm, and strangely enough, his connection to Istishia (normally weakened by the distance here) seems to be growing stronger the closer they draw to the Styx. It helps to steel himself against the pressure of the plane, and for now he's close enough to have no penalty to caster level.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:20 pm

Regular rest, regardless of what dreams it held, had done much to mend Zant's frayed nerves, as had the sensation that they were drawing closer to their goal. Even Mortrexa seemed less frightening and more reassuring now. When the fiend gestured for them to conceal themselves he wasted no time in doing so.

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:51 pm

Theller's usual measured optimism was starting to become worn thin by the unceasing sound of the wind. He didn't realize how much he would miss quiet until it was gone, and was spending more and more time with his palms over his tufted ears.

When the grubs were offered, he ate heartily; it wasn't the strangest thing he'd ever eaten by a large margin (the Plane of Air not being a fantastic hunting ground for his kind), and it wasn't bad, in his opinion. At least it was cooked; there were members of his race that preferred meat raw, which he found entirely unpleasant.

(If Theller's currently holding the torch, he shoves it into the bag here. I lost track of who has it.)

Theller slunk quickly into the shadows when Morthrexa motioned for them to hide, pulling the smaller of his two crossbows and loading it with a flick of his talons.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:18 pm

For the three days they had been walking, Alvar had become more and more introverted, rarely speaking and, when doing so, his words were short and sharp. Could one blame him considering the circumstances? But he certainly hadn't been lightening up the mood for everyone else.

And now something was upon them. The knight seemed particularly slow to react at the command of Morthrexa, fumbling with his gear a bit before ducking away with the others. A mixture of surprise and grumpiness on his face.

Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!

Unread postby Nakibe » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:41 pm

The wind was starting to really piss him off, constantly blowing, giving him a headache as they went... Mothrexa of course seemed unaffected, the smug bastard. In any case he had to keep watch. Who knew when something ELSE would jump out at them or Mothrexa stopped being ingratiating. Sooner or later he'll slip and...

And DAMMIT when will this headache just let up? Just a few more days of this... only a few more

The wind just kept blowing, not caring at its plight.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:12 pm

Pandemonium

Following Morthrexa's advice, the party squeezes into the alcove. It's something of a tight fit for the five, pressed together, but they all manage to fit. Theller hides the torch, and the party is plunged into utter darkness. Total, complete darkness, without a single glimmer of light anywhere, as if their eyes have been plucked from their heads.

They can't concern themselves with that for long, though, as the sounds of footsteps begin to grow louder. As the owners draw closer, snippets of a strange, chittering language begin floating on the wind interspersed with a high-pitched, skin-crawling laughter. The footsteps begin passing in front of them, and the party can almost feel the overpowering sense of strength radiating forth. Claws click on stone, as dozens of creatures pass so near to their hiding place.

It stops. For a moment, the mob pauses in front of their hole, all talk ending. The seconds tick on in utter silence, as the creatures wait. They can hear a few of the mulling about...hunting? Searching? Have they been uncovered?

Finally, though, they begin off once more, the footsteps echoing down the tunnel and away from them. When the sound has vanished entirely, Morthrexa's voice echoes up from nearby, entirely dismissive of what just happened. "Pull your light out. The river is near."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:58 am

"What were those creatures?" Zant asked as he waited for someone else to produce a light.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:46 pm

Pandemonium

With an amused snort, Morthrexa replies. "The followers of Gorellik. Those gnolls near enough to be pulled under his influence and transformed as the beast you killed, and his still-loyal band of wandering flinds. The creator of the gnollish race, long since supplanted by one of my own kind even in the eyes of his creation and now forced to wander the Lower Planes in a near-mindless state, with none faithful but a small mob of racial freaks and those unlucky enough to have their own will suppressed by his unconscious desires to regain the position he once held. In another century or two, he will likely be dead, floating in the Astral as so many powers before him." He lets out a low chuckle before continuing, "They need your kind for their own survival, mortals, far more than you need them. They bribe your kind with promises of knowledge, powers, a future paradise in their realm, anything they can offer to gain the worship that sustains their existence. It's pathetic, in a way. But then again, if they can force their will on so many, I suppose they've earned their position."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:53 pm

Theller opened his bag as Morthrexa was speaking, bathing them all in torchlight again as he brought back out the everburning torch.

"My people have gods," he offered, "but far more important to my race is our pact with powerful air elementals. My clan decided to leave the Material Plane to serve them in the Plane of Air. Gods are powerful, but we consider agreements with more approachable powers the preferable circumstance."
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:11 pm

Alvar let out an audible sigh of relief as the light was again returned to them. He had been sweating profusely as the gnolls had passed, an irksome fear, illogical and without cause, having sprung upon him. He was even breathing hard, but quickly it returned to normal and he shrugged, as if to cast off a heavy burden.

"Gods..." he grumbled as he got ready to move on again, "don't want anything to do with that. Us mortals have enough to worry about without divine beings vying for our souls to fight their battles."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:20 pm

Zant let out a soft chuckle before asking "You mentioned that we are close to the Styx now?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Pandemonium

"Very close. Follow me." Heading on through the tunnel, Morthrexa takes the lead. The sound of burbling water grows stronger as the party walks, and before an hour has passed, they get the first sight of their goal. Before them in a tight tunnel, a black river flows down an eroded channel in what to them is the wall.

Although they don't seem to be alone here. At the edge of the torchlight, a figure stands, barely visible but obviously humanoid. The light glints off of metal about its form, but it makes no reaction. In fact, it's utterly still and completely silent when first they spot it, to the point that they may even question if it's alive at all. What could this be?

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:45 pm

Alvar flinched as he first heard the sound of water. Had they finally reached it? Was the journey towards the Styx finally over?

Despite the looming prospect of having to wander back the same way, the knight could do nothing but feel relief at this idea... And then, of course, came the slowly growing disappointment as yet more hours of walking slowly revealed themselves.

By the time they had actually reached the body of water, the mood of the knight errant had somewhat faded.

Then, when sighting the glint of metal, he froze; hand instinctively on his weapon and his posture shifting lower. Were there guards positioned alongst the River Styx? Had the fiend led them into a trap after all? Or perhaps it was merely a statue...

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:11 am

After spotting the figure, Theller shifted the torch to his armpit and nonchalantly retrieved his larger crossbow, winding the winch and setting a bolt, prepared to fire if the "statue" turned out to be something besides. He checked the carved wooden wand on his belt, too, prepared if he needed to be to use the spell within.

Then he switched the torch back to his left hand, nodded to his allies, took a deep breath, and took one step forward, bringing the figure fully into the light of the torch.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:39 pm

Zant felt his spirits soar as he caught his first sight of the fabled river. All the hardships he'd endured seemed worth it now that they were almost at the end of their journey.

The sight of the motionless figure set him on edge again. They were so close and now something else was in their way. He kept quiet as Theller made his move, hoping that it was a statue and nothing more.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:28 am

As the light from the toch seemed enveloped the figure ahead of them, it seemed as if their worries had been unfounded. It was humanoid, indeed, but motionless and quite looking like something crafted rather than a creature born and grown into being. Its rounded, sleek design seemed ancient beyond reckoning, yet as the torchlight struck the metallic platings covering the dark wood that seemed to compose most of its structure, the glint of the armour indicated mithril; a metal far too valuable to be used for a mere statue in the middle of nowhere.

Something wasn't right with the figure, however, and the party soon realized what. Two glowing green orbs suddenly lit up in the helmet-like head of the statue and with motion swift as a normal creature, belying its bulky size it suddenly was much closer to them, towering above them with a feature-less face, the only sign of intelligence being the glow in its eyes and the slow, meaningless rumbling erupting from a slit in the mithril where in a humanoid being the mouth would be. Dust escaped from the slit as the rumbling grew, sounds half-way between a groan and real words escaping.

Surprisingly, the thing seemed to have a halberd in its hands where previously there had been none. The thunk at the things' hips indicated that this was certainly not the only armament it carried.

---

Alvar, sparing no time, drew his own weapon. "I knew things were going to smoothly," he growled as he shifted his weight a bit, dropping the backpack from his shoulders.

[OOC - Although this being the introduction of my new character, I'd understand if the group reacts... violently. Don't worry about it]

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:44 am

Zant took a step back, muttering in frustration and reaching for his spear.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:51 am

Pandemonium

Suspicious about the new individual, Zant readies his weapon. Meanwhile, Morthrexa just steps back, smirking with amusement at the unexpected situation.

I wanted to clarify for people, in case they were wondering, that Christian won't be multicharring here for good. He's been wanting to swap, and it was easiest on both of us for his new character to get introduced before his old one was written out.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:06 pm

"What is it?" Theller asked, keeping his crossbow trained on the...thing.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:25 pm

The statuesque thing seemed not to move any further, but kept its weapon ready, the blade of the halberd reflecting in the torchlight, the smooth metallic surface incredibly clean- and sharp-looking.

"War...ning..." the rumbling voice seemed to clear up slightly, "approach no further." it was cold and mechanic, as if someone was producing these sounds not with a windpipe, lungs and mouth, but with individual syllables produced from some instrument. "Any further encroachment upon the Resting Site of Adollus Wiern will be met by deadly force. Desecration will not be tolerated."

In the playing light of the torch, more of the figures design slowly became visible to the group. The mithril-platings were mostly located on its body where they would be on a human, protecting limbs and weaker spot from injury, but leaving joints relatively free so as to not restrict movement. The thing had stopped moving at the moment and it once more looked completely like a statue. It apparantly did not breathe.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:08 pm

Zant eased his hands away from his spear and held them up in front of him.

"We are merely here to pay visit to the River Styx and obtain a sample of it's holy waters. We have no interest in the disturbance or desecration of your master's resting place."

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:43 pm

The figure shifted slightly and the light in the eyes seemed to dim somewhat for a little while. When once more the full light returned to the beings' eyes, it sheathed the long weapon in a shoulder-strap made from the same rough, worn-looking leather material as the belt.

Its eyes fell upon Morthrexa and Trivale before it continued to speak; "Caution is adviced." it paused as if to think, "this is however the safest path."

It would appear as if the metallic construction composed its sentenced in before it spoke like how a craftsman works his trade; piecing together syllables into words and words into sentences before delivering them in a long line of properly pronounced, yet unnervingly eery sounds.

"It would be recommendable that you travel in the company of Magpie as otherwise Death is a likely probability."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:11 pm

"Magpie?" Theller asked, disarming his crossbow and returning the bolt to the case on his belt. "Are you Magpie?"

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:00 pm

"It is... my... name." The phrase seemed somewhat difficult for the armored being to produce.

"As per instruction, camp was set up here and perimeter was secured. The area is known and kept. Three hundred and forty six intrusions have been detected and dealt with."

Some distance behind the creature calling itself Magpie was what looked like a small campsite. A campfire seemed to have burned down only recently, some of the firewood still smoldering slowly. There was beddings for one person laid out, but no one was lying on it. Various travel-gear was spread around the small camp area; a mug, a small portable bench, a backpack and what looked like a pile of books.

They all looked quite weathered.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:33 pm

Pandemonium

Sighing with boredom, Morthrexa crosses his arms, looking over the party. "Yes, yes, you've found a fun new toy. Now are you quite ready to collect what you came here for, or are you wanting to play with this golem some more? Wind it up and send it toddling off ahead of you down the tunnel if you must."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:10 pm

Zant had never seen a construct before. He'd heard of them in passing, and was relieved that violence would not be the outcome of this encounter, especially after it's comment about intrusions. He didn't doubt it's sincerity. Could it even lie?

"Then join with us, Magpie. With luck we shall discover the location of your master."

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:09 pm

"Would that be an ..."

The usually steadfast voice of Magpie suddenly gave a jolt, as if a record-player had fallen off its track. Then, as abruptly as it had ended, it returned, seemingly unfaced by the sudden disruption.

"Understood."

For a moment something seemed to make the construct pause, but then it merely turned towards the river. "There is a passageway in that direction; its condition is not known. For the moment, precaution is adviced."

Then, without further ado, the construct called Magpie walked over towards Zant, stood next to him and remained there.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:29 pm

"A golem?" Theller asked, rather stunned. "I had thought golems didn't speak."

Then, after the construct's continued words:

"I think he's...it's...Magpie is going to follow you, Zant."

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:46 pm

"They do not." was the response coming from Magpie.

Something about the way it spoke enforced the idea that its speech was constructed mechanically according to some elaborate system; although it spoke only in short, grammatically simple sentences its vocabulary seemed somewhat uneven and focused.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:53 pm

Zant inclined his head respectfully to Magpie, deciding it wouldn't hurt to treat it like it was a person. The planes held many strange things; they had a fiend travelling with them after all. A sentient construct wouldn't be out of the question.

"Let us follow his directions." the gensai announced, looking towards the passage the metal man had indicated.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:27 pm

Pandemonium

Scowling, Morthrexa stares at Magpie for an instant before he steps back, separating himself from the party. All trace of geniality vanishes from his face, like a clay mask shattering and falling piece by piece; they get the feeling that for the first time, they see the tanar'ri — the demon — as he truly is. "You were amusing for a time, but now you bring in this clockwork creature with the stench of Law permeating it into your number?," he says, with utter hatred and loathing almost dripping off of the word.

"Your prancing about these tunnels, rattling your bone-boxes with your words of honor and acceptance and guilt, they were bad enough. I could stand it only because your kind takes morality so mercurially, one can barely notice you have any sense of it at all. Beyond that, to see even your reluctant trust for me was laughable. To think, you thought me even a tentative ally, creatures so far beneath me as to be almost without notice except for how they can be used for my benefit.

Forcefully pointing at Magpie, his voice raises, echoing off the walls and drowning out the burbling of the Styx. "But now you willingly insult me with such a blatant display of camaraderie towards a magical trinket just because it can dance to your tune, you take this thing alongside your number, and you think I can abide happily? I am rapidly considering taking my payment now and departing. I would suggest you convince me otherwise."

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:03 pm

Alvar stared at Morthrexa, unable to believe what he was hearing. How could he had been so blind about this demon? How could... just because this walking box of gears and what-nots decided to join them the Tanar'ri would react like this?

"Settle down Morthrexa," he growled, ready to draw his sword should the demon prove to be unconvincable, "whatever issue you have with this... Magpie, it has done nothing to threaten you... You'd think it a threat to you simply because it does not share your belief?"

The knight gave a bold show, but it was clear he was unnerved by the sudden outburst.

Magpie, meanwhile, did nothing in response to the violent reaction; perhaps it had expected this, or it did not care for the Demon's approval.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:46 pm

Theller stepped between Alvar and the demon and spoke in a reasonable, respectful voice. "No need to be loud about this. Either of you. We are reasoning people, and there is no need to allow our prejudices and our gut reactions to win the day."

He turned toward the demon and inclined his head respectfully, then went on. "Lord Morthrexa, we are not like you. Law does not to us present a 'stench'. If you have an objection against us being accompanied by the construct that does not hinge on us being as offended as you are by its ordered nature, I will hear it fairly. It has offered its aid, and we have offered ours. To be sure, when you offered to accompany us we were doubtlessly gaining by far the better side of the bargain than we are here - we are, as you have said, far below your power - but I see neither the fundamental difference in this situation nor any reason why our pact with you and any pact we form with Magpie ought to be mutually exclusive. If you are so disgusted that you must leave, then I hope you can do so amicably, as you had promised us - we will part ways and pass onto Shawn your regards when we see her."

His piece said, and hoping that Morthrexa would not push the issues of "payment" or of the group being "used for his benefit", Theller turned to Alvar.

"We have been in Morthrexa's hands for a long while now. We have come too far for you to endanger our lives with threatening words and cruel tones against him. To us he has been fair and reasonable - to be sure, we know far more about him than we do about Magpie. Please do not act hastily, or you will jeopardize us all."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:23 pm

Zant did his best to conceal his surprise as a sick feeling of betrayal brewed within him, though it was not his desire to break with the group that fuelled it. The fiend had talked of bigotry and prejudice a scant few days ago and now he revelled in hypocrisy, spitting hate and disgust. He kept his tongue stilled on this matter, though. Monthrexa had made it abundantly clear that he didn't have a shred of decency in him and was utterly amoral, making any appeal to such things pointless. That and he was more than slightly afraid of being torn limb from limb by an enraged demon for throwing it's own words back at it. The only thing he could appeal to was it's own interests. When he spoke he did so in a level voice.

"Gorellik stalks these passages, as you have said. You have also said that he is still a god. You are mighty in comparison to us, yes, but I imagine he is mighty in comparison to yourself. Surely you would not throw away disposables such as ourselves when we could be that which would spare you from divine wrath. And surely there is some pleasure for you in using a being of Law for your own ends?"

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:04 am

Alvar blinked, stunned by Theller's defense of the demon that had just exclaimed how he'd used them all to his own ends, toying with them.

"I haven't said anything about the fact that we should trust Magpie, in fact," he scowled, "I find its sudden appearance not a little suspicious."

"But..." he glared at Morthrexa, "considering what we've just been told. At least this construct stink of law."

He sighed and eased up, looking towards the demon, "so we either honour our deal with you, leave this Magpie here and continue our travels with a fiend who clearly consider us lower than the insects we've been feeding on, or we strike up a fellowship with some mechanical... I don't know what that just happened to be waiting here, all too willing to help out any random traveller it met."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:05 am

Pandemonium

Alvar is the first to say his piece, his words doing little to shift Morthrexa's mood; though to his credit, they don't seem to make it any worse, at least. Then Theller speaks up, and indeed, his speech does have an effect, if perhaps not the intended one. As he speaks of fair treatment, Morthrexa's rage fades as the demon begins to smirk. Words of equity with Magpie and reminders of their deal grow that into a grin; he seems barely able to contain his amusement. Unfortunately for them, Zant's attempts as preaching to Morthrexa's well-being seem to be hitting a brick wall; he lets out a low, rolling laugh as the genasi says his piece. Even Alvar's second response seems to have bits of amusement in it.

"Oh, little bird, now I remember why this trip amused me so. To think, you consider us equals to the point that you think I would even begin to consider fair treatment. You mention our agreement. Do you take me for some baatezu, to be held by the letter of my words and forced to twist them to my benefit? I belong to the Abyss, and the only benefit I gain from making an agreement with your kind is how much sweeter it makes the inevitable betrayal. As your little friend in your Guild can tell you, I'm sure. It's unfortunate your blade-ready ally is with your group, or I would have chosen you for my reimbursement instead. If nothing else, perhaps I've left you with a taste for larval feasts, eh?

"And now the godly fish speaks. Your words have some truth to them, and I am pleased that at least one of you recognizes how powerless you all are before me. Indeed there is pleasure in using beings of Law, in twisting them against their natures, forcing them to leave their path. Yet you needn't worry for my sake. I won't be throwing away all of you."

Turning to Alvar, the grin still plastered on his face, he says one last piece. "Oh, far lower. Those insects, if nothing else, carry the potential to become one of my kind someday. In my time on the mountain, I sent millions upon millions to be shaped into the lowest of the tanar'ri. No, those insects are what your kind should aspire to be, should you cave into your basest natures before death. And you, at least, have a glimmer of potential there; your lack of nonsense like trust, good will...it shall be fun seeing just how close I can pull you up."

Beams of light in a rainbow of colors begin to emanate from his body, and he looks back to the rest of the group. "Don't fear...well, I suppose that's a poor choice of words given what's to come. Worry not, I should say, as I will leave the rest of you untouched. You've been enough fun that I'll grant you that, if nothing else."

The timing for this isn't great, I'll admit, but I just wanted to let you all know that Shaun'll be sitting out for a spell. It's only temporary, however, and for now his character's still there.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:42 pm

Zant did his best to keep his expression neutral, though it was a futile effort. He felt angry. He felt betrayed. He felt foolish. But more than anything he felt helpless. He knew what was coming and he knew that it was, in part, his fault. He also knew that he had no chance of averting this outcome. What could one man do against such a terrible thing?

The burbling of the Styx reminded him that he was not alone.

Morthrexa had blasphemed against his Lord and now he sought to disrupt their group. Alvar had stood beside him as an ally and they had worked in unison. He prayed for Ishtishia to give him the strength to spit in the eye of the fiend.

(Casting Sanctuary on Alvar, if he can manage it.)

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:05 am

"I spoke on your behalf, against my better judgment, and you repay us like this?!" Theller exclaimed, loading his crossbow. "You protect us from Gorellik, why? So you can play your games without him having some satisfaction of his own?"

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:52 am

Alvar listened to the demon with growing unease. What was he talking about? These maggots were... were...?

The knight-errant was at a loss, despair filling his heart as recognition of his own fate was slowly seeping into his mind. The demon saw some potential in him? What did he...?

---

Magpie, who had remained silent during the throwing of words, turned to Zant, "Assist?" it asked... although the tone remained nearly as monotonous as always.

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs