The Planewalkers' Other Journies

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:45 am

"I agree that we ought to get as much sleep as we can." Alvar added to the conversation, "this place is still relatively safe, and we don't know if that's going to be guaranteed further ahead."

He rolled his shoulders slowly, grunting slightly as his tired joints popped a bit, his neck stiff, "Just an hour of rest would do us good, and three's a luxury as far as this one is concerned." he shifted a bit to move his shield into a more comfortable position, "and the river shall remain even if we take our time."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:59 pm

The gensai nodded and slowed his pace. He didn't relish the thought of remaining down here longer than necessary, but the others had a point. They were all tired and who knew what lay ahead?

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:23 am

Pandemonium

Taking the advice of Theller, the party gathers, ready to get what sleep they can here. Setting up bedrolls, they lay down for the night, with Trivale taking the first watch. Though it's fitful at first, they eventually manage to fade off into slumber, retreating into the depths of dreams.

Alone with the wind, the tiefling keeps watch with little to keep him company but the torch. Without even the benefit of conversation to keep his mind busy, it's harder for him to keep the sound from boring into his skull, but he does his best to distract himself. Soon what feels like an hour has passed, and he awakens Alvar for the next watch. His experience isn't much better, but eventually the third watch comes about, and he can return to sleep.

Theller is next, and it's about halfway through his watch that something finally happens. In the tunnel ahead, he can just make out a pair of glowing eyes in the darkness, staring at him. A low growl begins to echo off the walls, hardly masked by the ever-encompassing sound. Whatever this creature is, it doesn't sound very happy.

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:34 am

Theller peered into the darkness at the eyes and set the torch on the ground, getting to his feet. He picked up his loaded heavy crossbow with one hand and used the other to grab his spear and prod Trivale with the butt of it. "Wake up, and wake the others," he said. "We have a visitor." He squared off against the unseen owner of the eyes, crossbow in hand, trying to forget how shaken his disturbing dreams had made him as he stretched his wings for fighting balance.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:58 am

Pandemonium

As the others awaken, the owner of the eyes steps forward. A hyena, though a massive one. At least 8 feet long, and at least 5 feet at the shoulder. Teeth bared, it growls at the party, blood-stained muzzle slavering with drool. It shows no fear at Theller's crossbow, but it still keeps its distance, frozen as it keeps its gaze locked on the raptoran.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:00 am

Zant woke rubbing at his eyes and blinking at the darkness around him, trying to shake off the haze of waking from an intense dream. The clarity of reality was welcoming until it resolved into the image of a beast. He scrambled award from the thing, searching for his spear. His shell armour, lying discarded nearby, would have to wait.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:04 am

Jak reminds me: the rest of you (Theller excluded) should also post if you slept in your armor or not. If not, you'll have to spend time getting it back on or fight without it, but if you did, you'll be fatigued until you get a full night's rest or somehow get the condition healed.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:08 pm

((Alvar slept in his armor because he's a man))

Alvar slept heavily despite the fact that he was still wearing more or less his complete armor. When Trivale woke him he at first seemed only to stir, then turn back to sleep. But in a moment he was up, eyes blinking wildly to clear his vision as he grabbed for his weapon.

"Wh-What's going on?" he mumbled, his voice slightly slurred. The sight of the hyena was enough for him to get to his feet, his hand moving to pull out his sword.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:01 am

Pandemonium

As more of the party awakens, the fur on the hyena's back begins to rise as it takes a cautious step back. Its gaze jumping from one to another, its growl grows even louder. It seemed to wish to take out easy prey, and the number of conscious foes goes up, they can tell it's trying to make the decision to run or strike. A normal animal might be easily scared off in this situation. A beast that lives in a plane like this? Who can say?

Theller:
Spoiler:
The creature doesn't seem to have any of the markings Theller's readings have associated with animals tainted by the lower planes. It's certainly very large, but if nothing else, it doesn't look to be fiendish.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:52 pm

"I don't believe it's fiendish," Theller said. "It doesn't have the right coloration. If it's just a normal dumb animal, we should be able to scare it off." He picked up the torch in the hand that was also cradling his crossbow, hoping the creature would instinctively move away from it, and took a cautious step towards it, the finger of his other hand still on his trigger should the weapon be needed.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:50 am

Alvar had gathered his wits enough to stand and he gave the creature a sceptical look. He had a hard time believing anything 'normal' could live on a plane like this... He was ready with his weapon for anything, but striking down beasts wasn't really something he enjoyed doing.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:55 am

Pandemonium

As Theller holds the torch and steps towards the creature, it seems to have entirely the wrong desired outcome. Digging its paws into the rock, it prepares to launch itself forward towards the travelers. Thankfully, their reflexes are hardly dulled at all even after the hours of rest, and they're able to spring into action before it can start to approach them.

Battlemap

Initiative:
Trivale: 17 (16 if armor was worn overnight)
Zant: 14
Alvar: 9 (fatigued, -2 to Str/Dex)
Theller: 9
Hyena: 7

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:54 am

Zant kept his distance, spear now in hand, and waited for the thing to attack. He didn't know what this thing was and, even if it wasn't fiendish, he was expecting the worst.

(Delay until the thing attacks, if it does/manages to. He'll then try and flank it and strike with his spear.)

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:26 am

Pulling out his sword and readying his shield, Arvin certainly didn't feel up for the task of fighting this early, or late, or whatever it was. He felt uneasy, queasy even... if the creature attacked he'd try to beat it off with the flat side of his sword; killing the creature would most likely send more of whatever this plane had to offer scurrying after the smell of blood and newly slain meat.

He moved a little towards the others, ready to throw himself in between the less armored of his group should the creature go for them.

"Just try to scare it away, if possible," he muttered.

Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!

Unread postby Nakibe » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:58 am

Again a thing arises out of the darkness, presumably trying to eat the assorted travellers. It was a good thing for Trivale that he'd forgotten to take his armor off before trying to get rest, because it certainly seemed like it might be needed against this... wait, what sort of creature IS this anyway?

Seeing it ready itself to spring, Trivale did much the same, focusing his mind in the hopes of catching the thing off guard...

(Trivale also waits. Dodge is inactive till either Trivale is forced to act, In which case he'll probably move to I11 and do things, or until the thing moves, at which case Trivale will try to get behind it, using Burst if necessary.)

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:23 am

(Hey Christian, I think your character's name is Alvar, not Arvin.)

Theller wasted absolutely no time, loosing his bolt and then scrambling backwards to join his allies, dropping his heavier crossbow and switching to the smaller. He yanked the smaller weapon cocked with his strong talons and readied it for a bolt of its own.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:31 pm

Pandemonium - Round 2

Trivale, Zant, and Alvar wait for the creature, while Theller strikes immediately, firing a bolt from his crossbow before falling back to the others, reading his smaller crossbow for the next strike. Just in time, as the hyena begins running straight at him, stopped only at the last minute by Alvar moving between the two and smashing the creature over the snout with the flat of his blade and leaving a large welt. He yips from the strike, stopping in its tracks before focusing his rage on Alvar now. Snapping forward, he grabs Alvar's sword arm in its jaws, his teeth cutting through the armor as if it wasn't there. Pulling down, he yanks Alvar to the ground, just about dislocating his shoulder in the process.

Trivale and Zant take the time to move in, surrounding the hyena and striking out with their weapons. Both strike well, and yet he still stands, hackles rising even further as he's boxed in.

Trivale and Zant delays, while Alvar readies an action for the hyena approaching too close to the group.
Theller fires his heavy crossbow, hitting for 8 damage, and moves back, dropping his heavy crossbow and loading his light.
The hyena moves towards Theller, but it interrupted by Alvar.
Alvar strikes the hyena for 9 nonlethal damage.
The hyena hits Alvar for 8 damage and trips him. Alvar is knocked prone.
Trivale moves to the hyena's back and strikes for 5 damage.
Zant moves as well and strikes for 6 damage.

Battlemap

Initiative:
Theller: 9
Alvar: 7 (fatigued, -2 to Str/Dex; prone)
Hyena: 7
Trivale: 7 (fatigued, -2 to Str/Dex)
Zant: 7

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:57 pm

Though unsure of his ability to shoot the creature with it engaged in melee against his allies, Theller decided it was worth a try anyway; his spear wasn't at hand, and they needed all the help they could get. He moved to his right to get a bead on the hyena and loosed a bolt, starting to reload almost as soon as it was in the air.

(Moving to K10 and shooting. He doesn't have Precise Shot, so he'll have to deal with the -4.)

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:12 am

Zant's stomach tightened as he watched the thing pull Alvar to the ground, more than slightly horrified by the savagery of the creature. All he could do for now was pray for the man's safety and try to bring the monster down, though even as he told himself that he found himself taking a step away.

(Attacking the hyena and then 5-foot stepping to I6)

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:07 am

((Haha, for some reason I keep mixing his name up with a friend's character in a real-life RP campaign. Sorry guys, my bad))

Alvar hadn't been certain that the thing would be hungry, and desperate, enough to make an attack, but the sudden bolting towards Theller. He moved as quickly as he could, his body slow to respond because of his fatigue. He managed to bring his blade up just in time to strike the creature over its snout, which seemed to only make it more angry.

What happened next caught the knight by surprise, as the creature bit fast and hard into his arm, dragging him painfully down to the ground.

"Guaah!" The pain in his shoulder was aggravating and his mind recoiled in pain. He'd underestimated this plane, no normal creatures could possibly live here.

Unaware of the going-ons around him, the knight struggled to try to regain his footing, moving with the creature as best he could in order to prevent the creature from tearing a good chunk of flesh from him.

"Accursed beast!" he yelled in pain as he tried to strike the creature over the head with his shield-arm, his gloved hand bundled into a fist.

((Alvar doesn't try to break loose, but rather attempts to strike the creature with his free hand. He's dropped the shield for the moment.)

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:40 am

(Actually, based on Idran's description of what's going on, system-wise, it looks like you're not in a grapple, just prone. It's not a matter of breaking loose, it's a matter of getting up without provoking an attack of opportunity.)

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:51 pm

Spleen's correct. The hyena only tripped you systemwise, so the only thing you have to worry about is getting up, which is a move-equivalent action that provokes an AoO. But as you described it, I'll just treat that as you attacking unarmed from prone position without trying to get up, which still works too; you can attack from prone position, but you get a -4 penalty to attacks. You don't technically have to attack with your shield arm either, but if you want to leave that in as color, it's fine with me.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:55 am

((Sorry guys, I'm still not really used to the system of fighting I guess, I'll try to read more into what's going on before I make my next post. :) At the moment though, it's exactly as you said, I try to attack from prone... It'll be a shield-arm technique, the pain in the swordarm is too much at the moment.))

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:39 am

Pandemonium - Round 2

Putting some more distance between himself and the hyena, Theller fires another bolt from his crossbow, striking the massive beast in the side just above the shoulder blade. The wounds look to be taking their toll on him, his muscles twitching and his limbs shaking as Alvar swings his fist into the beast's head. He pulls his head back with the strike, keeping it from making much contact, before again tearing into Alvar. Blood flows more freely now as another wound is dealt to the knight. Trivale keeps things from going much further with another stab to the hyena's flank, bringing the creature to the ground. He's still breathing, but his eyes are closed. He seems to be out cold for now.

Theller moves to K10 and shoots, hitting for 2 damage.
Alvar attacks the hyena with an unarmed strike and misses.
The hyena tears into Alvar's arm again for 10 damage.
Trivale stabs the hyena for 5 damage, and the hyena falls unconscious.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:00 am

Zant began to move as soon as the creature went down. The others could attend to it. He had his own task to perform.

"Be still." he told Alvar, muttering a prayer and drawing on the power of his deity.

(Cure Light Wounds on Alvar)

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:10 am

Theller hustled to retrieve his spear and brought it over to the creature, clutching it in two hands and bringing it down on the creature at about the base of its neck with the raptoran's entire weight behind it, the wind unfurling his wings.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:04 pm

Alvar was doing his best not to groan in pain as blood flowed from his two wounds. He'd spent years practicing with the sword, shield, unarmed combat in armour... yet a mere beast would cause him this much harm...

He nodded slowly to Zant before trying to settle his breathing, his nostrils flaring as his breath was forced through them. He'd had curing magic cast upon himself a few times before, but the feeling still felt odd to him, as if the wound was inverting itself and the pain imploded upon itself.

"Th...thank you..." he muttered slowly.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:39 pm

Pandemonium

As Zant casts his spell, the blood staining the edges of the armor about Alvar's wounds begins to fade. One of those wounds knits itself up and the pain from it vanishes as if it never was. The bleeding from the other begins to staunch, the feeling of the injury dulling to a slight ache, but it still stands open.

Meanwhile, Theller stabs his spear through the creatures neck. It gives one final wheeze before shuddering out the last of its life. And suddenly, without warning, the creature shifts. Its body changes, death shattering the enchantment that once shaped its form. Not a hyena at all, what's left behind is decidedly more humanoid, a furred creature, bereft of equipment, whose head, hands, feet, and general shape bears a strong similarity to the creature they just fought.

Zant casts cure light wounds, and heals 11 points of damage.

Alvar:
Spoiler:
You recognize the creature as a gnoll.

Also, sorry for the original missing part, I somehow missed Spleen's post.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:07 am

Zant had been looking at Alvar's remaining wound, trying to decide whether further blessings would be necessary. The transformation of the dead creature jarred him from this train of thought, the gensai shifting quickly away from it.

"Just what is this creature?" he wondered aloud.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:47 am

"A gnoll..."

Alvar frowned at the sight of the dead creature, he'd never liked gnolls.

"I... haven't heard of them being able to change shape like this before..."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:17 am

Theller braced his leg against the dead thing's torso and withdrew his spear smoothly, wiping the gore off the weapon (on the corpse's clothes if it's wearing any and on a rag Theller carries if not).

"Transformed by a spell, then?" he wondered. "Surely not by the plane itself; that detail would have come up in our research."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:56 am

Pandemonium

Theller pulls his spear from the creature's body. Its blood leaks onto the cavern floor; even if good for nothing else, the wind at least keeps the metallic scent from hanging about the area. No armor, weaponry, or clothing of any sort adorns the gnoll. Naught but a single piece of jewelry, at least. After further examination, they notice a leather thong buried in the fur about its neck. On this strap, hanging in front of the gnoll's chest, is attached a wooden carving of an animalistic head in profile. Apparently hand-whittled, and badly at that, it appears to be intended as a representation of a creature which this being had the form of only minutes before.

ZantTrivale: Something seems to be pricking your memory about gnolls here.

Sorry for the error there.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:02 pm

Alvar fished out a ragged and wiped his blade clean, wounds still stinging but bearable. Sweat was still trickling down his temples and he wiped them absentmindedly while sheathing his sword and bending down once more to the corpse of the Gnoll.

"I'm not familiar with this type of witchcraft myself..." he moved down to grab hold of the carved amulet with his gloved hand, "but I'm certain this thing is not as innocent as it looks..."

(BAH! I really can't think of anything to write. ´3´)

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:17 am

Zant turned away from the corpse, having had quite his fill of death for now, and went back to tending Alvar. He felt hesitant about asking his lord for another blessing so soon, but he was without the correct tools to ensure than an open wound wouldn't become a problem.

(Cure Light Wounds on Alvar again.)

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:23 am

Pandemonium

Zant summons up energies from his lord Istishia once more, and more of Alvar's wounds stitch themselves up under the healing energies. The distance from his patron is tangible, and the spell is somewhat sparser than he might like, but Alvar is looking largely in better shape now, with nothing left but a few scratches along his arm, the bleeding having stopped entirely.

Meanwhile, Alvar takes the amulet from the gnoll's neck. It seems fairly benign, with no strange effects or feelings as he holds it in his hand, but he unfortunately doesn't have the talents to discern anything more about it than what can be seen with the naked eye.

Zant heals a further 4 hp of damage to Alvar, and he is just about back at full health now.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:24 pm

((:0 Guess I'll post again, was waiting for Spleen and Nakibe, but...))

Alvar nodded in silent gratitude to his ally as his wounds were finally mended completely. A quick smile played over his face before he returned once more to look at the amulet.

Well, whatever it was, he didn't need it. It made him ill of ease, and with a certain defining "humph" he let it go and stood up, feeling more sore than before they'd all gone to sleep.

"What now? Do we continue our rest or do we march on?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:12 am

"It would be wise to move on regardless of whether we wish to finish our rest. There is no doubt that some other vile creature will catch the scent of the blood spilt here."

Zant was clearly exhausted, but the attack had set him on edge. What little safety he had found in their makeshift camp was gone, this area now seeming just as dangerous as the rest of the plane to him.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:33 pm

Pandemonium

"No doubt indeed."

From behind the group, a deep voice echoes, resounding off the walls over the gusting wind. The speaker still stands outside the range of the party's light, but from the source he must stand close to half the height of this tunnel, towering 20 feet tall at least. Yet whoever, whatever this individual is, the travelers are certain it made not a sound, unaware as they were about its presence. Its voice holds a tone of amusement, as if it barely cares about the struggles of the four. The accent is quite learned, with those that speak it picking out an Abyssal accent to the words.

"You shall need to move on shortly, lest Gorellik hunt you down. He is on the prowl here, and he doesn't have much care for those not gnollkin. Your timing on this little expedition really could not have been worse, I must say. Now why would a group of mortals be risking such pedestrian deaths here in the Tunnels, hmm?"

Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!

Unread postby Nakibe » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:21 am

Something about this seemed... well, MORE wrong to Trivale as he strained his eyes to glimpse the stranger. The creature just... turned into a gnoll... wait... gnoll? "Gorellik...?" Trivale starts. "Oh. OOH GREAT. You mean he's HERE? I'd heard only rumors and nothing more before we left." Perhaps we should turn back, or at least come around some other time, thought Trivale. I mean, shit. What are the odds of running into THAT one out of the blue like this??

Now that he thought about it, it was probably for the best that they couldn't see their traveller...

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Alvar did not like the tone in his comrades voice. Whoever this Gorellik was, it did not bode well.

He cracked his neck slowly and spread his feet just a bit, hand resting on the hilt of his sheathed blade.

"We care little to explain ourselves to an unseen voice." he growled, eyes scanning the darkness around them, "reveal yourself and we will heed your words."

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs