The Planewalkers' Other Journies

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
darkknight61189
Rice President

Re: The Planewalkers' Other Journies

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:47 am

Garick watched as Trivale cloaked himself, disappearing, essentially, and once again wondered how nice it would be to be able to do magic. To be able to bend the forces of the world to his will and tell it the rules. Instead, Garick always had to play by the planes' rules. He waited there, drifting out of sight of those down below, wondering how out of sight they actually were. Although he knew that on most planes, people never looked up, he had always assumed that the people on the Plane of Air would, just because up was so relative. Still, just like every other person on every other plane, they stayed out of sight by being "above" them. He hefted his axe a little, feeling the comforting weight of it in his hand. He wasn't used to all this sneaking about, and he was getting a little antsy.

Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!

Unread postby Nakibe » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:51 am

Alright. That's the easy part done, then. Now for the hard part. thinks Trivale. Even though the... whatever he did feels easy enough, who knows how long strange powers such as these can last. Or even how I'm managing it, for that matter. With that in mind, he cautiously heads into the structure. Better keep an eye out for more guards. Or better yet, easy opportunities to make a hole.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:02 am

Plane of Smoke

With a brief wait for the proper moment, Trivale ducks into the hatch and quickly pulls it shut behind him. Inside is nothing but a small tunnel, made of the same metal as the rest of the structure, leading to a second hatch a mere 10 feet down. Beyond this hatch, he can hear the sounds of any number of people; it would likely be a bad idea just yet to open this one.

The tunnel itself, though, is lines with pipes and valves, connections and controls for what must be the various tanks the gasses are being collected within. Though the pipes are labeled, the labels are of course in Ignan, rendering him a bit blind to which is which exactly, and he certainly has no special expertise in plumbing - at least, not as far as he knows. Still, common sense can help to guide him. Some valves obviously open into this tunnel itself, but others do indeed seem to connect to the piping systems lining the outer surfaces of this teardrop vessel. He could still likely wreak a good bit of havoc here even despite his lack of knowledge. The trick would be doing so in a way that lets him remain unnoticed.

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:39 pm

Lets see, no... not that way.... Ooooh. Most certainly this area's valves are a beautiful thing to part of Trivale's mind. Doing some damage from here would be a great way to allow his companions to enter. Definitely a place to come back to later, then. Would help if I knew the language. Wait, do I...? A moment spent staring at the scribblings does nothing to enlighten him, however. So much for memory. Not the most reliable thing either way. he thinks. And with that next hatch potentially blocked by people... Wait a second. Prisoners or guards? If its the village then I've got an escape route for them too. If not then its another piece to work with. Perhaps listening at doors can fix this lack of information while he eyes the various valves at his fingertips.

Wait a tick. I don't know their language. How can I... Maybe this idea needed a little bit more baking...

(Psionic Tongues. And after that it will be time to play with valves. Fun times.)

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:08 pm

Plane of Smoke

Trivale places his ear to the door, hearing the tones of barked Auran, yet somehow finding them interpretable to his ears. The heat within must be quite great indeed, for even resting his hands upon the metal hatch is uncomfortable.

Inside, he hears the words of a slavemaster driving his men, and though he can't hear any of the villagers, they're certain to be the ones ordered about. From the sound of it, those within are mostly tasked with the job of watching for leaks and ensuring no one tank grows overly full. While he can hear no words, the sounds of pitiful coughing do echo forth now and again, suggesting those leaks he warns about are more common than they would probably prefer; the conditions for those working in this vessel can't be very manageable for mortals like them.

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:00 pm

Huh. Didn't know that I could DO that. Not that it helps much... With this new information, Trivale turned towards the various pipes and valves and started tracking them. Hopefully picking a valve whose pipe isn't seeming to go into the room next door will help at the moment.

(Will pick a valve and attempt to turn it. No better way to make this work, is there?)

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:20 am

Plane of Smoke

Trivale opens one of the valves, hearing the sound of rushing gas from within the pipe. From outside, the rest of the party can see a flood of red, glowing fumes begin to flow from a point on the surface. A small trickle at first, soon changing into an outright jet. The flaming dwarves scurry out of the way of the oncoming flood of gas, and the efreet are careful to keep their distance from the growing cloud, giving off an inner light about on the level of a large lantern. Is this the distraction Trivale had planned? Whatever it is, it certainly seems to be serving as one, but one of the dwarves is drawing near to his hatch...

Back in the tunnel, Trivale can just barely hear the sound of someone working at the hatch over the sound of escaping smoke. His disguise is still active, at least, and there's plenty of room for him to squeeze away from someone, but before long he's going to be sharing this room with another.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:00 pm

Garick watched, fairly boredly, as the small flaming ants down below scurried about. He was beginning to get bored enough to suggest that they just go down and start killing things when the gout of fire appeared. "Weeeeell, this looks like our sign," Garick said, smiling. "Guess it's time to have some fun."

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:20 pm

"It looks like it," Rosalyn agreed, beginning to look about for some place to land that would be as free of occupants as possible.

She was fairly concerned, however, about the dwarf attempting to open the hatch Trivale had gone into. She might have been able to hit the fiery person with an arrow from up here with some luck, but that would be risking a lot. Not only could it alert everyone down there to the attack, but there was still the possibility that the dwarf was just as much a captive as Theller's people. Hopefully, Trivale would be able to handle the situation on his own...

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:51 pm

And with the imminent arrival of someone to investigate the area, Trivale will find a nook that hopefully has no hot pipes in it and hide for the moment, hoping to remain unseen for a while.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:29 am

Plane of Smoke

Taking good advantage of Trivale's distraction, the rest of the party descends upon the teardrop. The broad curved end makes for an excellent landing platform free of observation, with Trivale's hatch just over the rise. Inside, Trivale easily manages to keep out of sight from the dwarf as he reseals the valve and looks over the mechanism, examining just how it must have failed. Scowling, Trivale gets the distinct impression from its body language that it performs this task only grudgingly.

Before long, the jet of gas slows to a stop, the new cloud hovering near the teardrop for the moment. For now things remain clear on this portion of the teardrop, and with a cautious glimpse they can spy the departure of the dwarf investigating Trivale's hatch.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:03 pm

Garick quickly untangled himself from the rope tether and drew both his weapons, his attention at the ready, in case someone had noticed their arrival. "Alright, get yourselves ready, then I'm open to any suggestions as to how to find all the other bird-lizard people."

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:04 pm

"Better get inside first," Rosalyn suggested, watching the dwarf leaving the hatch. "We'll need to know what's in there before we can decide what to do about it."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:03 am

Plane of Smoke

Ready for a fight, the travelers rush to the hatch, opening it up and diving in before any of the surrounding dwarves catch note of them. It's certainly cramped in here, but they all manage to fit in as the goblin pulls it closed behind them. They note the same scene Trivale had seen before, with the only exit being the doorway into the interior.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:24 am

Hearing the voices beyond the next door (presumably), Rosalyn halted for the moment. She was at least relieved not to find the butchered corpse of a tiefling in here, and therefore suspected that Trivale was hidden away somewhere in here. While waiting for him to show himself, the human girl listened through the door to try to get a better idea of just how many people were on the other side, and what their demeanor was.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:14 am

Plane of Smoke - Teardrop Vessel

Rosalyn listens through the door, noticing first the heat pouring off the metal hatch. Though not enough to be any danger, it must be sweltering in the room beyond to feel like this. Beyond, she can hear the sounds of someone barking out what seem to be commands in a language she can't understand, but that she can recognize - her time in Air was enough for her to identify Auran when she hears it. She can only make out a single voice beyond, however; whoever's controlling the room, they're either working alone, or with silent underlings.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:24 am

Garick watched as Rosalyn listened at the door, gave her a few breaths of silence, then asked, "So, what have we got on the other side?"

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:52 pm

"Efreet, I suspect," Rosalyn answered as she moved away from the door, turning back to the other hatch to check for any means of locking it. "I only heard one, but it sounded like he was giving orders in Auran. Might have some of Theller's people in there..."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:09 pm

Giving the hatch a once-over, Rosalyn can't spot any intended means of locking it. However, tying the wheel off seems to do just as well for her; they might be able to force it open, but it'd be a feat.

"...How many of them?" The goblin watches the hatch, hand clasping the short sword that until now she's done little more than the occasional practice with. "Are there a lot?" While doing her best to seem more curious or interested than nervous, she does seem to be squeezing that hilt especially hard. "...What can they do, anyway?"

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:44 pm

"Ah. You're here." Hearing who was now in the room, it perhaps was a good time to stop worrying about hiding. "I was wondering if I'd caused something vital to explode or not for a moment there," he whispered with a chuckle. "For a moment I was wondering if I should attempt to get past them and try something else." Despite his jaunty tone, however, Trivale had to wonder just how they were thinking of making this work. Perhaps if I was lucky enough to get out of sight before anyone noticed... Things would be so much simpler if we knew we could just rush them. Or if I knew what to do with all of these pipes...

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:14 pm

"Well," Garick said, "if it's just one guy on the other side of this door, then why don't we bust it down and take him out? One less flaming dwarf to deal with later."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:29 pm

Anyone going to reply to Garick? :P

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:16 am

Before proceeding with that plan, Rosalyn stopped to think for a moment.

"I don't believe the efreeti are the same as the dwarves, unless they've disguised themselves," she reflected. "And I don't know why they would be doing that here."

But with those dwarves being on her mind now, she did have one concern.

"It may only be one efreet in there, or it may be an efreet and who knows how many of those dwarves," she said. "And if they have any loyalty to the efreeti, it could be trouble. But that might just be a risk we'll have to take..."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:22 am

All right, so we've got Trivale considering sneaking through as best he can, Garick wanting to rush in and strike, and Rosalyn weighing their options. Which plan are you all going to go with here?

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:22 pm

Garick thought about what Rosalyn had said, weighing the merits of what she had said against the fun that would come from caving in a flaming dwarf's head. "Eh, I still think we should kill 'em," he said after having come to a conclusion that caving in heads was a lot more fun than sneaking past them.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:29 am

"I... really don't..." Rosalyn stuttered, not at all liking the idea of killing the dwarves without knowing their disposition and feeling more than a little nervous about Garick's eagerness to do just that.

Then she tried one more argument against that plan.

"We might be able to get them to help us," she reasoned. "I really don't know much about what the Efreeti can do, so we might need it."

And with that, she decided to throw her support behind Trivale's idea of sneaking past, prefering in the end not to throw caution to the wind.

"If you think you can pull it off, I'd say sneaking in would be the best idea," she said to the tiefling.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:20 am

Garick looked at his weapon, hefting it in his hand. He chewed on what Rosalyn said, then shrugged. "Alright, sounds good enough to me." He then put the hammer back into its holster.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:08 am

Since it was Trivale's plan in the first place, I assume he's still up for it, Shaun; I'll go ahead with a GMing after a bit to that effect (Wednesday afternoon hopefully), but if he's changed his mind, go ahead and post and I'll change accordingly.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:39 am

Theller moves to the door, working it with practiced skill and easing it open without even a squeak. Trivale slips past, taking a once-over on the room beyond. It's little more than a single spherical room at the center of the structure suffering a sweltering heat, obviously lacking any portholes or other openings to the outside beyond the regularly-spaced hatches, with naught but a single efreet wielding a flaming scourge calling out orders. As best as Trivale can tell, the heat emanates from a flaming sphere about three feet across suspended in the center of the teardrop, with a dozen of the ever-present pipes stretching out towards the walls.

Across these walls, on all surfaces, exhausted raptorans work the valves, suffering the occasional puff of released gas and many letting off horrid-sounding coughs every few moments. Though they all look horribly weakened by the horrendous temperature, and many bear the burning whip marks of the efreet's weapon, none look to have any injuries that wouldn't be curable with time. A small number of flame-haired dwarves, merely three in total, examine the pipeworksfrom a mechanics perspective, doing their best to guarantee the continued functioning of this massive item. However, to Trivale's eye, the efreet seems to be paying them almost as much attention as the raptorans, and with a closer look now, he can tell they seem to be none too happy to be here.

Theller passes a Disable Device check to get the door open quietly, Trivale passes his Stealth check and is still hidden, and he also passes a Sense Motive check as he evaluates the room.

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:05 am

Well, that's one less thing to worry about, then. Trivale thought as he looked over at the various dwarves. That means that we might not have to worry about them attacking us, IF we can act fast. Part of him had to wonder if he could make use of this directly given enough time, or if there was something else to worry about. But... No, we have to take care of this now. And hope this doesn't blow up in our faces. Reaching into his pack, he takes out a small bag he'd been saving just for such an occasion, and whispers to the others "The dwarves look like prisoners too. Just our luck."

And with that new piece of information, Trivale heads into the room, hoping to remain unseen for a few precious moments... all he really needs.

(Okay, Trivale wants to quickly rush in and introduce the efreet to his good friend the Tanglefoot Bag. Here's hoping I have a Cunning Plan of some sort.)

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:16 am

Darting forward, Trivale hurls his alchemical bag at the efreet; the bag impacts, and the efreet is quickly engulfed in the glue-like contents. Though still hidden, Trivale is still easily spotted by the suddenly-infuriated genie.

Combat!

Round 0
Trivale tosses a tanglefoot bag at the efreet, hitting and entrapping the efreet. Until it wears off or is broken, the efreet takes -2 to attack rolls and -4 to Dexterity. Trivale fails his stealth check to Snipe, and is spotted.

Everyone but Trivale gets an additional surprise round action as well - this counts as Trivale's.

Battlemap

Initiative
Rosalyn: 21
Theller: 17
Efreet: 16
Garick: 13
Trivale: 8
Goblin: 5

Trivale's the only PC on the map right now because I couldn't fit the rest of the party in the tunnel in 2D; you're all in there, though, and everyone counts as starting in P8 in terms of movement. And remember, this is a sphere, so feel free to move 3D. I'll just do cutaway layers if there ends up being a ton of 3D movement. 3D diagonal movement will go 1-2-2-1-2-2 in terms of number of squares, not 1-2-1-2-1-2.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:56 pm

As Garick began putting his hammer back in its holster, he stepped through the doorway. As he did so, his mind, so honed from years of danger and plane-hopping, immediately assessed the situation. As he did so, he realized the need to open up a can of violence on someone, so reversed the motion of his right arm. With both hammer and sword in hand, he lunged at the tangled genie, scimitar perpendicular to himself to guard against any surprise attacks, and brought his hammer down on the genie.

(Moving from P8 to K8, power attacking at a -1 penalty)

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:09 am

Not much else to do at this point, Rosalyn stepped through the door with bow drawn, took aim, and let an arrow fly at the efreet.

(Rosalyn moves to M7 and attacks.)

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:52 am

Round 0

At Trivale's strike, the rest of the party dart into the room. Garick swings his axe into the efreet's side, drawing boiling-hot blood, while Rosalyn's arrow strikes its shoulder with enough force to jut out the other side. Theller floats to Rosalyn's right, firing his crossbow lightning-quick, snatching at the efreet's essence as the bolt makes contact. Though he leaves only a glancing strike, his own skin begins to flicker with the barest of flames as he snatches some of the genie's own element for his defense, and he can feel himself grow more comfortable in the sweltering environment of the brass ship.

On Rosalyn's left, the goblin draws back an arrow from her bow, her arm shaking just barely enough for her to notice; this is the first time she's fired at another person, but as always, she covers her nervousness well while around Rosalyn. The arrow flies, not hitting as solidly as her own, but still leaving a score across his side. The goblin smiles, glancing to Rosalyn for just an instant for approval before drawing another arrow.

Round 0

Garick moves to K8 and attacks with Power Attack; he hits for 15 damage.
Rosalyn moves to M7 and attacks; she hits for 14 damage.
Theller moves to M8 and makes a ranged sneak attack against the efreet; he hits and uses Steal Energy Resistance, dealing 4 damage and gaining fire resistance 10 for one minute.
Goblin moves to M6 and attacks; she hits for 4 damage.

Battlemap

Initiative
Efreet: 16

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:15 am

Rosalyn gave the goblin a quick nod of approval, glad to see her that her training was paying off. Then she quickly returned her focus to the battle.

It was a stroke of fortune that Rosalyn still had a clear shot with no need to reposition herself. Taking the opportunity, she quickly fired two more arrows at the efreet.

(Attacking with Rapid Shot.)

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:36 pm

Round 1

Rosalyn lets a pair of arrows fly at the efreeti. One finds its mark in his leg, while the other just misses his right arm. Theller quickly reloads and takes aim again at the efreeti, but his bolt goes wide completely; it flies straight into the orb of fire, and is presumably burnt to a cinder. Floating with well-practiced skill, he drifts around the efreeti to prepare another strike.

Drifting upwards to take the higher ground over Garick, the efreeti gestures behind the party, as a 20-foot-tall curtain of fire springs into existence behind them, stretching across the length of the chamber and barring their direct access to the exit hatch. Most of the party, as well as one unfortunate raptoran, are licked by the flames or scalded by the tremendous heat emanating from the wall. Meanwhile, the sap covering the efreeti begins to crack, slowly melting away under his own bodyheat.

Round 1
Rosalyn attacks with Rapid Shot; she hits once for 9 damage.
Theller reloads his light crossbow and makes a ranged sneak attack against the efreeti; he misses. He moves to I5.
The efreeti takes a 5' step up and uses Wall of Fire, creating a wall stretching from the bottom-left corner of N7 to the top-right corner of G14, radiating damage towards the top-left. Rosalyn takes 7 damage, Goblin takes 3 damage, Trivale takes 7 damage, Garick takes 6 damage. The tanglefoot bag sap takes 6 damage from the efreet's Heat ability; it is still in effect.

Even without a K: Arcana check, people would be able to tell that the wall does the most damage within 10 feet, slightly less within 20, and if you're more than 20 feet from it it does nothing. And to clarify the map notation, it's centered on the party's current plane, stretching both up and down 10 feet from there, and there's no angle to it.

Party Status
Garick: 45/51
Goblin: 25/28
Rosalyn: 27/34
Theller: 37/37
Trivale: 39/46

Battlemap

Initiative
Efreeti: 16

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:11 am

Garick felt the heat emanating from the wall of fire, but there was no part of his mind that had even considered running back through the door they'd come through. He instinctively reoriented himself as the efreet moved such that he was further away from the fire, as well as in a better position to attack the Efreet. This put him directly under the efreet, looking "up" at the flaming djinn. Though others might have become disoriented, Garick had become focused on his target, blocking out any other happenings in the chamber that didn't directly effect him. As he floated into position, he attacked with a wicked cross of his warhammer and his scimitar, throwing caution to the wind.

(Garick is moving to J7 with a 5 foot step, right under the Efreet. Full Attack action, using Power Attack and going into a Rage.)

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:11 pm

The heat of the efreeti's wall of flame was blistering, but not yet life-threatening, and Trivale bent his will towards not thinking about it. We just need to take care of this one... Sword now in hand, he moves forwards to offer his own variation of violence to its hide, a flash of what could be insight leading him to turn the blade just so as he lashes out.

(Trivale takes a 5-foot step to K6, uses a swift action to activate the Stunning Strike Lurk augment (DC 15, 4pp spent), and then makes an attack.)

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:34 pm

Round 1

As the efreeti drifts upwards, Garick and Trivale quickly close the gap beneath him. Garick taps into his inner beast, unleashing a strong slash against the efreeti; Trivale makes his own strike, and his insight proves true, the efreeti's muscles locking up as he makes contact with the proper nerve cluster. The goblin merely unleashes another arrow, catching just another glancing blow, but still doing far better than she feared in an actual combat situation.

One note; 4 PP would be +2 to DC, Shaun, so that would actually be DC 16, not 15.
Round 1
Garick moves to J7 beneath the efreeti, enters Rage, and makes a full attack against the efreeti; he hits once with his scimitar, getting a critical threat but failing to confirm, for 8 damage.
Trivale moves to K7, triggers Stunning Attack with 4 PP (DC 16), and attacks the efreeti; he hits for 6 damage, and the efreeti fails his Fort save.
Goblin attacks; she hits for 3 damage.

Party Status
Garick: 45/51
Goblin: 25/28
Rosalyn: 27/34
Theller: 37/37
Trivale: 39/46, 9/17 PP

Battlemap
(Apologies for the poor quality, but I couldn't get my APNG plugin to work correctly, so I had to go with a GIF.)

Initiative
Efreeti: 16

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:25 pm

The searing flame got a wince out of Rosalyn, but it didn't come near putting her out of commission. Still, she would need to get away from the intense heat before things got worse.

"Kid!" she called to the goblin to get her attention, then moved to put some distance between herself and the fire, gesturing for her companion to do the same. Trivale's last strike looked like it had stunned the efreet for the moment, which should have bought some breathing room for moving around.

Once she had gone some distance, Rosalyn oriented herself towards the efreet again and fired another arrow.

(Rosalyn moves to J2, motioning for the goblin to move away from the Wall of Fire as well, then attacks.)
Last edited by Seethe on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs