The Planewalkers' Other Journies

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Re: The Planewalkers' Other Journies

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:44 pm

"It does," Theller agreed. "There isn't much ground to speak of on our plane. Places like Blurophil or Homespire have their own gravities, but elsewhere you fall in whichever direction you convince yourself is down. It requires care."

Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!

Unread postby Nakibe » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:25 pm

"Sounds like navigation in this fashion is a pretty useful skill to learn." quips Trivale. "How long does it take for non-natives to get used to?"

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:06 pm

Garick looked wide-eyed at the rest of the plane, then looked wide-eyed at his party members when he heard about how to navigate about the plane. "So... we'll be falling everywhere? This is gonna be fun." He rubbed his hands together as he walked out into the city.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:33 am

Rosalyn, on the other hand, wasn't entirely sure just how enthusiastic she was about this "falling" business, especially given the distance involved. It might have been similar to travelling on Steam, but her understanding was that it was a bit more dangerous. It did sound like a useful skill, but jumping into it blindly didn't seem like a good idea. They wouldn't be any help to Theller's city if they smashed themselves on the side of it.

Trivale had already asked the question she would have, so she kept quiet and waited for the answer. If it was too long, some other means of transportation might be better.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:28 pm

"It takes little time to learn to control it, but you never do become quite used to it. Perhaps you should all try it and if it isn't tenable, we can rent glidewings here in Blurophil?"

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:30 pm

"Sounds reasonable," Rosalyn answered. "Where would be a good place to practice?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:27 am

Blurophil

Eletta nods to Rosalyn with what she hopes is understanding. "Practice falling? All over. Anywhere. ...No, anywhere no people. Harder with people. See person, think 'That person has down. That down.' Me and Theller tied ropes when little many nights, practiced much time." She grins, laughing a little at the memory.

The goblin steps back from the edge, and though she looks back to Theller, she can't help but give the endless sky the occasional glance of wonder. "Glidewings? What're those?"

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:30 am

Theller laughed. "Yes. Harder with ropes, but simpler?" he said in simple Common for Eletta's benefit, then shook his head, laughing. "When you teach children by tying them together, they are safer than they would be by themselves," he explained. "Yet at the same time, they learn to control themselves with and despite their partner - they quickly learn the nuances of control and how to retain their own frames of reference. A pair connected with ropes can have their gravities be perfect opposites and still find themselves moving. It's quite an odd thing to think about and to explain, but as a child you find yourself able to adjust."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:00 pm

As for glidewings, information can be obtained here. A quick check about in Blurophil would show they're available for rent for around 25 gold a day, half in advance, double for late fees. They're about half as fast as falling, but with a much lower chance of hitting something, better control, and less damage if you do hit something.

So, who's practicing falling (and how) and who's renting a glidewing? (ICly, preferably)

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:37 pm

This whole think about practicing falling seemed like a great idea to Trivale. Its a level of freedom of movement that he hadn't even thought about before. "Well, I'm willing to try it as soon as possible. And if that doesn't turn out, perhaps a better alternative can be found."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:49 pm

"I recommend trying it, for the experience if nothing else," Theller said. "Glidewings might be the safer travel method, however. We can rent them in Blurophil, I'm certain."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:21 pm

"Quick question," Garick said, "So, if I were to, say, jump off the side right now and not be able to figure out how this worked, how would you guys get me back?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:54 pm

Blurophil

Eletta considers Garick's question before shaking her head, with a small frown. "No back. Homespire, people fly, so safer. Can go...more fast. Here, we no fall more fast, no fly, so you...fall until hit. Long, long fall. Other reason why ropes. Safe, careful." The goblin frowns a little at this idea, and drifts a bit closer to Rosalyn, glancing up towards her.

As she talks, the party drifts over to a secluded edge, near one of the massive windmills that line the sky-island's edge. Eletta looks to Theller curiously. "Here? No people. Tie..." She looks to the windmill, falling quiet, before pointing to it in exasperation. "...Tie that and them?"

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:50 pm

"Windmill. Wind...mill."

Theller unhooked a coil of rope from his pack and threw one end of it to Eletta. "This is my only rope," he said. "Do you have rope?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:03 pm

Blurophil - Edge of the City

Eletta nods. "Wind mill, yes. And yes also," she adds, taking a coil of rope out of her own pack. "Enough I think." She looks to the four pending trainees thoughtfully, unspooling the rope. "Who is first? Tie two together, then tie rope to middle and to windmill. All four if enough rope."

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Rosalyn glanced down at the goblin, thinking she looked like she needed some reassurance.

"It should be safe enough to practice with the rope," she told her reassuringly. "And if that doesn't work out, we'll find something else. Maybe a glidewing, though I'm not sure exactly what those are either..."

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:08 pm

"I've got rope as well," offers Trivale. "I figure that if this goes well we might not need to look into the glidewings. And if it doesn't, well. We can fix that quickly enough, I'd think."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:14 pm

Blurophil - Edge of the City

Eletta nods, and begins to work with Theller, tying the four of them tight and securing them to the windmill. Once they seem ready, she nods, and gestures to the lot of them to step off the edge. "Eyes close best. Don't see city, don't know down. Try to think up is down, or forward, or anything. Think hard, focus."

The results for their attempts:
Garick gets it quickly, but it's really disconcerting; like the entire world is flipping around, not merely down.
Trivale takes a little longer, but thanks to his powers, he's used to imposing his will on the universe.
Rosalyn takes to it almost as soon as she steps off the edge; it's almost like chaos-shaping, it just takes a bit of will-power.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:45 am

Garick took his time learning how to fall correctly, and found it to be exhilarating. "I'm coming here more often!" he shouted as he once again went falling.

Garick sat down next to Theller at some point during the lessons. "So, you haven't been home in a while, huh? Bet it brings back some fun memories."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:31 pm

"A few," he agreed. "One might be inclined to call it a mixed bag of sorts, however. There are things that may be difficult to return to. Of course, if we cannot discover where our people were taken, memories will be all we have of them." He shrugged his thin shoulders. "I won't lose faith."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:36 am

Probably just going to move on ahead soon, if no one else has any objections. I'll try to get to it tonight, we'll see how well I can hold to that.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:36 pm

Plane of Air

Their practice as complete as it can get in such a situation, the travelers depart for Homespire, as if leaping off the edge of a cliff to a small target below, with ropes tied between them all to keep any accidental drifting to a minimum. Eletta does her best to keep people on track, but it's still going to be a long trip to the small raptoran outpost, at least two days. And it doesn't take long for the initial exhilaration of falling through the sky to wear off, making way only to leave a creeping nervousness in its wake.

With the length of the trip, they soon find the need to set up shifts, just to ensure at least someone's awake at all times; the lack of a natural night on this plane makes that not an especially difficult task, but it certainly doesn't help with getting a good night's sleep. Drinking while falling poses its own interesting dilemma, with their water tending to simply float as it is rather than flow as it should, but soon enough the outsiders learn how to get around this problem with the advice of the two natives.

Eventually, after a long plummet, the speck of Homespire begins to grow, giving some their first glimpse at the floating city. Before them stands a large, slowly rotating, rocky island, a near-ellipsoid about 250 feet at its longest, 175 feet at its thinnest. Its surface stands dotted with conical granite spires projecting out at all angles, with no point a person would naturally think of as the top or bottom. Colorful banners extend from the points of the towers, and smaller rocks float in the air about the island, some freely floating and others extending ladders towards the surface, all keeping pace with the surface of the island as it spins.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:33 pm

When Homespire loomed large before them, Theller roused the rest of the group. "We're here." He pointed out one of the larger of the small islands, one anchoring a wide and sturdy-looking rope ladder down to the surface of the settlement. "Be careful near Homespire," he advised. "If you get in further than that island, the gravity of the city takes over and you fall. Not an issue for a raptoran, but the rest of you lack wings to glide with. We'll land on the island and use the ladder to get down to the city itself." Theller told himself that gravity was toward that island and waited for the others to follow suit before squeezing out of the rope around his waist, gripping the rope with hands and foot talons, and reorienting himself in the other direction with his wings unfurled to slow the group's fall, the rope pulling taut in the process.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:34 pm

Garick did as was requested, orienting himself to Homespire. It still took some effort to re-orient himself, but he forced himself past the mental blocks that formed against this odd idea of gravity. He was glad that this had not been one of the random planes he had been dumped on, and was doubly glad that he had two natives here to help him along.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:03 pm

Plane of Air - Homespire

The party redirects themselves as best as possible towards the island, while Theller fights against their fall with his own gravity, the plane whirling around him with his sudden flip. Eletta nods and follows Theller's lead, and the two both grip tightly to the rope with wings out, suffering a few small cases of rope burn but successfully aiding in slowing the fall. While it's far from a perfect landing, and certainly not on their feet, they manage to settle down with only a few bumps and bruises. Eletta touches down soon after, wincing at the slight muscle strain as she stretches her shoulders. "No one hurt? Good."

The goblin nods, looking a bit ill as she sits on the ground, smiling a bit. "I feel like I'm going to be sick, but I'm all right. This is how you two always travel here?"

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:53 am

"It's a common method, yes," Theller agreed, "Though a native would have landed on her feet, and would not have needed Eletta and myself to help them stop." He stretched himself and flapped his strained wings. "Down to the surface, then." He indicated the ladder fastened to the side of the island.

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:47 pm

"I have to admit, its an interesting method of travel" replies Trivale. "But I honestly couldn't see using it every day, now." For his part, Trivale was glad for his unusual circumstances, as he was pretty sure he wouldn't be able to fly like that normally. Perhaps if I was born with wings that would be more natural, I suppose. "Obviously the two of you are very comfortable with it, though."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:13 pm

Garick laughed. "I've got to say, there are definitely less interesting ways of traveling. Hell, I wish I could travel like this all the time. I'm a bit afraid, though, of what'll happen when you two aren't around." At this, Garick laughed some more as he descended the ladder.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:18 am

Plane of Air - Homespire

Descending the ladder, the party heads into the city of Homespire itself. It's strange for Theller, quiet; he can't ever recall a time where there wasn't at least a lookout or two in the outposts, a few raptoran there to greet travelers as they arrive. Inside, they emerge into a wide open chamber, with doorways and ladders leading further out or into the city. Doors hang open or lie bashed on fragments on the floor, and here and there can be seen blood stains and scorch marks, both looking to be days old, and the slight scent of smoke and sulfur still hangs in the air. It's hauntingly quiet here, without any of the chatter of activity Theller always associated with his home city.

Eletta leads them down deeper into the city, doing her best to hide her discomfort. "Others this way." It's quite a vast structure inside, stretching throughout the island's mass almost like a giant honeycomb. Wide chambers interconnected by short paths, with now-empty buildings standing here and there off these main areas, the doorways plus-shaped to accommodate the wings of the natives. The chambers themselves hold dozens of small alcoves in the walls, their outer edges lined with Auran inscriptions, holding sculptures in both abstract and realistic styles; small figurines of wood or clay, or colorful pieces of glasswork, though many have been damaged or destroyed from the carnage that struck the city. In one, a glass piece Theller's eldest brother spent weeks on when he was but 8, now nothing but shards. In another, a wooden piece of five kneeling raptoran he had been told was brought with their flock from the days before Homespire, half-burnt to ash.

Eventually, Eletta leads them to a building Theller remembers as the school house. Within can be heard the first others they've heard this entire trip, the collective children of Homespire gathered together for their own safety, led by a small number of the eldest of the village, those too weak to be brought along with whoever struck here. None of the children look to be older than 15, and many look scared, but they seem to lighten as Theller steps in. He remembers many of them from before he left on his Walk, and he and his friends all find themselves barraged with greetings and questions; he was well-missed, and they're very curious about these guests he's brought in this quest, asking them all about who they are, where they're from, if they're going to help save everyone, and a dozen other sorts of questions you could expect from young children. Those watching over the children just sit quietly for now, waiting for the children to calm, not begrudging them this bit of excitement.

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:38 am

If I was ever in doubt of the seriousness of their need, then this would be the end of it. Even for a non-native it was easy to see something was WRONG here. If it wasn't the smell of sulfur then there was the blood spatters, the broken doorways, or the eerie silence that accompanied it all. It was almost hard for him to put a friendly face on for the children, but the side of himself (if he could indeed call it a side) that was used to fooling people was already on the job, working with a smile, hoping to assure the children that, yes, he was here to help. "Ah, yes, hello there. Oh, please do mind the pack. I've got a lot of important things in there. My name is Trivale, and I'm very pleased to meet you all."

A vague urge to do something was already growing within him, but for now he felt it best not to listen to the odd thought about the price of daggers or how he was supposed to find a bear around these parts. Perhaps after we find out who has done this. And then we'll see what we can come up with.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:57 pm

Theller spoke in Auran, addressing the assembled.
Spoiler:
"I am Theller of the line of Jioll, grandson of High Priest Isemix. I have been asked to return to Homespire, even though I am flightless and exiled. I have brought friends, powerful friends, to free our people from the holding-down of their wind. If any of you have any information that would help to that end, please share it with me."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:13 pm

Plane of Air - Homespire

One of the raptorans steps forward to greet Theller while the children are busy with the newcomers; Stelta, the father of one of Theller's childhood friends.
Spoiler:
"I am very glad to see Eletta was able to bring you back, Theller. We all are. I know how hard it must be for you to return before having found your flight, but you are the only person that could help us with any great speed. We were attacked, Theller. Our people..."
His voice hushes, as he turns from the children.
Spoiler:
"...Our people captured for slaves by the efreet. They said they were to be taken as a force of labor, used in vapor mines in the Choking Clouds (The Plane of Smoke in Auran). This is all that remain...they took the sick, the lame-winged. Even the flightless, if they were old enough to be of use. I can only hope you and your friends will be enough to rescue our flockmates."

Meanwhile, the rest of the party still finds itself assaulted with questions, in surprisingly well-spoken Common. "Are you going to save everyone?" "Where are you from?" "How come you have such a big hammer?" "What kinda important things?" "Why don't you have wings?" "Are you adventurers?" Eletta smiles, but moves to Theller, also wishing to let the children have their fun. Meanwhile, the goblin sticks near Rosalyn, ill at ease from the dozens of excited whelplings - large crowds still put her on edge, Rosalyn recalls noticing in their time since her rescue.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:10 pm

Garick walked through the ruined remains of Homespire and thought back to the places he'd traveled to. This place was definitely not the most decimated place he had seen, by far, nor the sorts of things the most gruesome and horrible things he's encountered. But that, right there, was the problem with the situation. The destruction did not fit the backdrop. Homespire was not surrounded by fire, nor was the place filled with chaos beasts or demons. The place looked like it ought to have been filled with people bustling about, perhaps going to the market, or visiting their friends. There should have been kids running through the streets, chasing each other with little wooden swords and playing. Instead, there was just ash, burn marks, and the signs of horrible atrocities.

As he walked into the school, it took him a second to recognize what it was. It took him another second to fully realize that only the cripplingly old and the children had been left. It took him yet another second to keep himself from flying off the handle, drawing his weapons, and chasing after whatever it was that had done this to the town.

Instead Garick walked over to the kids and forced himself to smile. Which probably scared the kids more than it made them at ease. He let Theller sort things out with the other Raptoran in Auran, and he began to try answering as many questions as he could, being surprised by their fluency in Common, considering Eletta's broken speech.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:54 pm

"My thanks, friend Stetla," Theller said in Common, laying a hand on the older raptoran's arm. "We will bring your family home safe, and all the rest of our clan." He changed to Auran and spoke in a more formal tone. "
Spoiler:
May our gods watch over you and may you always see into the furthest distance.
" He turned away from the older man to speak to Eletta. "
Spoiler:
Will you come with us, or will you stay here? Stetla has told me where to begin our search, and after we rest and recover here we will (very specific Auran word for exactly the sort of falling travel that got them to Homespire) there.
"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat May 01, 2010 8:25 pm

Plane of Air - Homespire

Eletta reluctantly shakes her head, looking over the gathered Planewalkers as she does.
Spoiler:
"Lliendil but I would, Theller...but I know I'd be no help. I'm no fighter, not like you. And they need someone here to help care for the whelplings. I...just hurry back, all right?"

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sat May 01, 2010 9:00 pm

(OOC: Posting from my new Droid, which, I am told, does.)

Theller nodded, then beckoned his Planewalker friends over, speaking to them in hushed tones. "Eletta has elected to stay here to help watch over the children. In the morning we will begin our search. Stetla has given me what he knows of the whereabouts of our people. We will start our search once you all have rested enough to continue...that is, if we can find a way to survive the Plane of Smoke."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon May 03, 2010 5:53 pm

Garick shook and scratched his head. "The Plane of Smoke? Is that what it sounds like? Because it sounds rather unpleasant..."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Wed May 05, 2010 9:38 am

Theller nodded soberly. "I am afraid so, yes."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:34 pm

Garick nodded, then continued, "And so, how do we plan on stopping ourselves from choking to death?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu May 06, 2010 2:07 pm

Plane of Air - Homespire

Eletta speaks up to Garick's question, shaking her head. "I read of Smoke. Smoke is Air and Fire plane. Between Air and Fire, so some air there. Hard to breathe, but can. No choking. Can use...watered cloth, put around mouth. Still hard, but easier. There are magics too. We have some, maybe can borrow? Scrolls, and items. Things that make air."

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs