The Planewalkers' Journies

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:42 am

Meanwhile, Vance, recovering from his coughing fit, finishes off the second mug of the ale in question--before slamming that one down as well and standing, pretty much unphased by the low alcohol content of that drink. Stretching, he addressed the bartender,

"Hah. Nowhere near what I am, though I am experienced with drinking stuff like this. I'd love to stay and drink my ass off, but I have a job to get to. Thanks for the booze."

Then he walked out the door...

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:33 am

Hammergrim

The bartender nods to Vance as he heads out, glancing at the three remaining folks before looking back down to his stoneware, speaking up with a rumble in his voice.

"Any more questions? If not, I've got work to do myself."

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:55 pm

Shawn put down her mug after a minute, letting off a rather unladylike belch. Looking down into her mug, she looked disappointed, having only finished a little more than half. She put down one more silver, and put another piece of candy in her mouth.

"Thank-" Chew "You." She smiled, and headed outside with the others.
Hey there! Can I give you a hand?

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:43 pm

Lorraine continued to smile with Zant as the person in question appeared. She simply replied:

"I imagine time will tell."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:30 pm

"Huh? What're we talking about now?

Time?"

Geesi
I fix problems.

Unread postby Geesi » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:40 am

"Just one," Gulrd is collecting his skin of ale for later and almost leaving, but not quite, "you seem like a man who would know; where's a good place in there to watch your step?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:24 am

"Among other things." the gensai said with a smile, casting a quick glance over at Vance and finding nothing out of order.

"Did you obtain any further information, or were you just wetting your throats?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:32 pm

Hammergrim

Looking to Gulrd, he says, "Hmph. That says there's somewhere safe there. Y' should be watchin' your step just about everywhere there, is the samrt thing t' do in the Mines. From what I hear, at least."

Geesi
I fix problems.

Unread postby Geesi » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:07 pm

"Sounds good!" Gulrd says approvingly before draining the last of his tankard and heading out after the rest of his group. "Thanks for the brew."

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:26 pm

Lorraine clammed up, still looking fairly amused. If Shawn had learned anything useful, it wouldn't do to interrupt her.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:51 pm

Hammergrim

Having rejoined one another, the group begins heading through town, towards the exit to the surface. Though the streets are fairly empty, those few duergar out and about pay great notice to them, with equal parts suspicion and irritation as far as they can tell. The occasional smithwork can be spied inside some buildings; in others, enchantment of a variety of weapons; in still others, polishing and engraving. In fact, every dwarf they see inside that's not resting (though not on a toted cot, unfortunately for Gulrd's theory) seems to be busy working in one manner or another. The famed duergar work ethic seems to be holding strong here.

Soon, however, the pattern of weaponsmithing is broken as they reach the exit, flanked on either side by an open guardhouse. Four guards with crossbows stand ready, two on either side, watching the narrow stairs; quivers full of dozens of bolts, replacement strings, and even extra crossbows hang from the walls of the shacks. A dim light shines down from the exit above, still brighter than the city despite its distance. Stretching upwards for at least 20 feet, the stairs are just barely wide enough for single-file travel; thus, not much detail can be made out through the exit above, though they can feel a slight breeze blowing down from the surface, carrying the slight tang of metal with it.

One of the guards takes note of the party, turning his gaze to them while keeping his crossbow pointing towards the exit. With a frown, he silently nods his approval to their departure before shifting his attention back to the exit once more, ever watchful for whatever it is he and his three colleagues expect to come down at any second.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:44 am

"Expecting trouble?" Zant asked the guard who'd spared the group a look.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:38 am

Hammergrim

Not looking back, the guard replies to Zant. This duergar speaks with a slightly deeper tone compared to the bartender, but otherwise, there isn't much difference in his voice; he still has the same dour tone to his speech.

"Usually. Go ahead and pass through."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:11 pm

"Just give us a shout before you try to shoot through us." he replied with a smile and a nod, and continued walking.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Obligatory post

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:28 am

Lorraine didn't have anything to say at that moment. She just rode quietly by with the rest of her fellows.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:41 pm

Shawn did much the same, although at half the size.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:01 pm

Hammergrim

Pressing on past the guard houses, the party heads up the stairs. The gentle breeze becomes a light wind as they near the top, carrying with it not only the scent of metal, but a few flakes of rust as well, spots of red clinging to their skin and clothing. Soon, the group emerges from the exit with a slight flip of gravity (to the annoyance of their horses) as a doorway becomes a hole in the ground.

Or a hole in the sheet of metal, rather, as the group now stands atop the surface of a great metal cube. Above them, throughout the air-filled void can be seen countless other cubes, ranging from merely large to truly massive. Small spots flitting around can be seen here and there; flying creatures, perhaps? And as they look on, they see a pair of cubes collide face-to-face with a muffled clang...perhaps those sounds they heard below weren't entirely the dwarves after all.

With a glance around the surface of this cube, it doesn't take long for the group to find the sphere-portal the bartender mentioned, a dull-grey ball floating a couple of feet above the cube just a short journey away from this entrance to the interior.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:53 am

Zant didn't approach the sphere, being far too preoccupied with observing the flying cubes. It was quite unlike anything he had seen, and he found himself wishing that the plane was submerged simply so he could swim up and explore the cubes.

"Never seen anything like that before.....

What are those spots?"

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:09 pm

Vance, rather than looking angry like he did earlier after being interrogated about his own drinking habits, actually looked rather impressed with this world of flying cubes. ...enough to forget about the aforementioned interrogation, in fact.

Looking about, he immediately tried to fit things together; this was unlike anything he had seen before. He tried to figure out what exact sort of place this was; there were no spheres, and nothing suggesting a flow...whatever those moving things were, and hearing Zant's question, he could only respond,

"Hell if I know. This whole place is completely different from anything I've seen before."

Doubtful that those are ships. Nobody anywhere near here's heard of a helm, I bet...they might very likely be creatures of some sort. What kind, I have no clue; I'm not a damn know-it-all.

Geesi
I fix problems.

Unread postby Geesi » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:59 pm

Gulrd doesn't know either, but he's wants as much as anyone to find out! Before sending out the birds, it might be best to look harder and squint. So he does.

(Making a Spot check to distinguish the identity of the spots.)

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:32 pm

Hammergrim

It takes Gulrd a minute or two to get a good look, but...he thinks it's a set of flyers, yes. He can just barely make out the sight of wings; batlike, rather than feathered. It's just too distant for him to make out more than that. Their sizes vary widely, from the size of a man to...20, perhaps 30 feet in length. They must be a mile away, at least.

Anyone that'd pass a DC 25 by taking 20 would be able to make this out as well after a couple minutes' examining.

Shinigori V2

This is a placeholder.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:16 am

(FAREWELL TO THEE, PLACEHOLDER.

YOUR SHIP HAS SAILED THE SEA)

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:59 pm

"Fascinating, quite fascinating. Of course, this means Vorghet's theory of planar morphology is quite wrong, but then again I always knew he was talking out of his arse." Lux puts away his papers and writing implements, and claps his hands together, rubbing them with easily discernable excitement. "I think the notes will be quite unnecessary here, pretty sure I'll remember this sight. Now, let's get moving before we all turn to stone, eh? For all we know there could be areas which cause petrification far faster than others, as nobody has had the bravery to do a fully empirical series of tests. Now, big tough fellows to the front and rear and all that, let's get a marching!"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:15 am

Zant shifted uncomfortably at the mention of petrification. Fluidity was something he was supposed to uphold and, more importantly, he didn't fancy becoming a conversation piece for whoever next passed this way.

"As you say, let us continue."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:56 am

Shawn just bucked her pony on, mumbling to herself about how she's never actually heard anyone speak like that before, and had thought it to be a myth.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:40 pm

Hammergrim

The party presses on, some continuing to stare at their surroundings, others focused on their goal. The distance to the hovering sphere is covered quickly, though nothing especially extraordinary can be noticed about it beyond the fact that it's hovering about a foot above the surface of the cube. Looking at it, there's no obvious means of activation. However, as soon as one of their number touches its surface, a chime issues out from it; a single note, echoing around them, as space seems to distort and ripple about them...

Mines of Marsellin

...and take them somewhere else. They still stand atop the face of a large iron cube, but this one is much more pitted, holes and pits all across the surface. The sounds of mining work fill the air here, drowning out the occasional smashing of two cubes in the sky above. Despite the mine-work, no piles of tailings can be seen dotting the landscape; in a place where the ground itself is iron, even creating a tunnel can create useful products, after all. Of course, that doesn't mean the view is entirely flat. The occasional statue of black-iron, matching the rest of the cube, is a dire reminder of what happens to those who dally too long here.

This cube is a good deal more active than Hammergrim as well; even just the area around this portal has three separate groups of miners the six can spy, each no more than a couple hundred feet away. In one direction, the group of six can see a man-sized cube with a set of spindly limbs and a human-like face ordering around a set of upside-down pyramids with similarly spindly limbs as they head in and out of a tunnel, carting empty boxes in and full boxes out; how many, you can't be sure, as these pyramidal beings are utterly indistinguishable from one another. Another direction, a two-dozen-strong group of humanoids - humans, tieflings, and a pair of dwarves - works, climbing out of a second tunnel in the cube. A well-armed group, they lead a large, harnessed, somewhat insectile-looking creature with long antennae carefully out of the tunnel, gently nudging it into walking across the ground. And in a third...fiends. A half-dozen small, spine-covered, winged, reptilian...things, bounding over the surface of an open pit-mine, swinging picks at the "earth" with purpose, collecting chunks of iron in sacks swung over their backs, their red eyes flickering as they focus on their task.

First group
Gulrd, Lux -
Spoiler:
You've heard of those polyhedral creatures in the first group; modrons, the purely-lawful race that are native to Mechanus. Intelligent, natural crosses between flesh and clockwork, constructs in many respects yet not the creation of any being.

Second group
Lorraine, Lux -
Spoiler:
That insectile creature with the second group is a rust monster, a being which as the name implies rusts metal with a touch of its antennae, feeding on the remaining flakes. A tame rust monster does seem like a logical choice for speeding up tunnel work in cubes of iron.

Gulrd -
Spoiler:
You have no idea what that insect-like creature is, but from what you know of animals, it's acting quite logy, like it's just had more than its fill of a hardy meal.

No one knows anything specific about the third group.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:10 pm

Zant found him gaze drawn back to the cube-things after he'd taken in their surroundings, finding their apperance somewhat disconcerting. He kept quiet for now, taking a swig from his waterskin as he waited for someone else to make the first move.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:13 pm

As chance would have it, the first person was Lorraine.

"Well, come on. No use standing around gawking. Especially here."

She started forward, intent on interviewing someone about the subejct of their mission. She starts for the group of humanoids, as at a guess she would expect to be most comfortable speaking with them.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:16 pm

Mines of Marsellin

The varied group of humanoids looks up at the approach of the equally-varied party, tensing up some as they size up the six. Some move hands to their belts, ready to strike, though the overall feel of the group relaxes as they see the party isn't doing much of the same. Not yet greeting them with open arms, they at least appear somewhat accepting. The large insectile creature begins waggling its antennae towards Vance, restrained from approaching him only by its handler and its harness.

Stepping out from the group, one of the humans holds a hand out to Lorraine in greeting. A bit taller than the average man, his hair is cut short in a military crop, and he's fairly well coated in the red dust of rusted iron much as the rest of the collection of miners. He spares a short glance to Aaron, before turning his gaze straight into Lorraine's eyes, speaking to her with a slightly scratchy voice.

"Haven't seen you around before; first time at the Mines? Justice Trevor Salint of the Mercykillers."

A note for future broomings of this nature: if your character wouldn't go along with it, go ahead and say in your next post what they're doing instead of being pushed by the broom. I've got no problem with someone posting to say something like "While Lorraine spoke with Trevor, Such-and-such-character stayed back and did this..." even after a brooming.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:22 pm

Zant smiled warmly as the humanoids eased away from their weapons. The only thing he'd heard of the Mercykillers was their name, and it hadn't conjured up an image of the most stable individuals. These ones did much to dispel that prejudice, thankfully.

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:21 pm

Vance, on the other hand, wasn't up to talking yet--or getting closer to that bug thing which he could SWEAR was leering at him by the way it was "looking" at him--but neither was he up for simply looking around and gawking at things...he had more important business in mind.

Glaring at Lux, he called out "Hey, you," before gesturing "come here" toward him...

I'm going to deal with this before it gets to his head... That much is for sure.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:45 pm

She took his hand and shook it firmly, her grip surprisingly strong for the size of her hand.

"Lorraine DiHammermoore, Planewalker's Guild. And yes, this is our first time. We were hoping you might be able to tell us a little bit about the mines..."

She went ahead and explained their mission to the man. After all, why shouldn't she? For all she knew, he might have seen the item in question at some point.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:58 am

Mines of Marsellin

The man nods, obviously pleased with Lorraine's upfront nature as he mulls over her request.

"Can't say as I've heard of your guild, but it seems respectable enough of you're any indication. An amulet, you say? Well...afraid I can't tell you where to find one, doesn't sound familiar. But things show up more often this side of the mines, so you've got a good chance, at least." As he gestures over his shoulder back behind himself, he continues, "There's a tunnel system just a half-hour's pace off that way, has a number of newer trinkets like that that're still loose. Burnt-out magic mostly, but there's a few that've still got a bit of a charge. You might find a match for your necklace in there. I've got to warn you, though, it's one've the more dangerous tunnels. It's in our claim, but we don't bother mining there anymore. Hardly any good iron left. So it's a bit more crowded for natives deeper in."

"...Of course, it is part've our claim...but you seem like a trustworthy enough basher. You lot don't seem especially set up for mining either. You can go ahead and poke around if you just ease my mind officially: this amulet's all you've got in mind to take care of here, right?" From the look about him, his question seems more of a formality than anything. The friendliest sort you've met so far in this plane; a thankful sight after the bruskness of Hammergrim, to be sure.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:18 am

Shawn took this time to chime in- What better way to get the innocence of their mission across than with a kid. "Yep!"

She thought for a moment, making a show of it to be sure he knew she was thinking.

"But.Is this where all the junk shows up? Lost socks and animals that your parents say went to farms and all?"

You know, this is almost too easy.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:41 am

She laughs a little in response to Shawn. For all she knew, the girl was both very serious and quite naive. There was the off chance that she was acting, of course, but either way there was no need to worry about it right now.

"Yes, all we're looking for is the Amulet. And maybe some lost socks, if we notice any."

She smiles bemusedly at Shawn here.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:49 am

Mines of Marsellin

Chuckling himself, Trevor looks to Shawn, kneeling down just slightly to look her in the eye on her pony.

"Well, no one really knows where it comes from. But that's what some people say about it. So maybe you'll find those socks somewhere in there."

Still smiling, he looks to Lorraine, patting the side of Shawn's horse and straightening.

"If you want to leave your mounts here, we'll keep an eye on them. They'll be fine here."

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:20 am

Lux, who had followed the others over, examining the ground on which they walked for some reason with complete fascination, snapped out of his trance-like state at Vance's calling. "Something I can do for you?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:44 am

Zant nodded to the Mercykiller in thanks, before interjecting.

"The tunnel is dangerous, you said? What's lurking down there?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:08 am

Mines of Marsellin

"Can't say for sure, but leave one of these tunnels alone for too long, and someone's bound t' move in. Mindless beasts like Digger here, fiends hiding out from their masters, natives looking for a new home. Probably nothing too dangerous, or we'd have noticed by now. Still, best stay on your guard while you're down there."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:19 am

The gensai nodded several times as he listened before asking "Forgive my ignorance, but who are the natives?"

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs