The Planewalkers' Journies

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:55 pm

Lorraine was about to take a bite of egg, but now she pauses, fork hanging in the air. Her smile falters for a moment.

"I'd prefer not to talk about it."

An awkward moment later, she will return to quietly eating.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:05 pm

Guild Kitchen

Florence nods to Lorraine, giving her own smile to the woman. Shawn's food arrives as Lorraine eats, Florence giving a look to Shawn and her utensils before she replies.

"Oh, no worries there. Some folks just don't like talking about their pasts. One of the benefits of an organization like this, no one'll force it out of you if you don't want them to."

Her glance moves to Vance, and Florence gives a small smirk of amusement. Speaking a bit more softly in light of his condition, she continues, "How about you? Still recovering from something, it looks like? Guess that'd make anyone quiet." She sits back with a small chuckle, waiting for a reply.

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:12 pm

Shawn grins widely at the slab of ham delivered, and takes her utensils in hand, cutting furiously at the meat and placing a large piece of it in her mouth.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:18 pm

Guild Kitchen

Florence glances back down at Shawn every so often as she awaits a response from Vance, seemingly expecting something to happen with her.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:21 pm

Shawn continues going at her breakfast, before noticing Florence looking back and forth. Her gaze rises to meet Florences, a bit of ham hanging out of her mouth.

"..Whaght?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:48 pm

Guild Kitchen

"Oh, nothing. I'm just making sure everything's okay.

"You can handle it yourself this time?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:57 pm

"Yeah, I'm good." She replies, beginning to cut off another sizable chunk. "I told you, you don't have to worry about me."

Naturally, midway through cutting, something goes terribly wrong- Her arm jerks, spasming violently. Naturally, do the knife in her hand, this is a very bad thing.

Soon, there's a nice slash down her wrist, a bit of blood flowing from it. Shawn herself looks a crossed between annoyed and horrified, and the more astute observer may notice a bit of quiet sobbing under her breath.

Can't cry. It's not that bad. Don't cry, you've had worse. Keep it together...

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:46 pm

Vance, simply put, didn't want to move. Upon hearing that he'd have to get up, amidst all the light, sound, and other bloody sensation, just to talk to the chef in order to get some food and coffee, he had lost any and all semblance of appetite he may have had to begin with. He didn't want to move, didn't really want to do ANYTHING for...say, the next half-hour to hour or so. Maybe the bloody headache would finally stop.

"You could say that," he replied, practically leaning on the table with an elbow and still with a hand over his face. ...maybe in an hour he'd be ready to go somewhere. Maybe.

...and he'd be damned if he had to explain to them all about where he came from and what the hell he did as a living over there.

Suddenly, after the knife incident, the large man slowly looked over at the cut in Shawn's arm. '...Bloody hell. Just...give me a minute. Just...yeah. A minute.' he thought, looking around slowly for some sort of cloth to cut to use for a wrap--he wasn't using the stuff in his pack. Not yet. That is for serious business...

Of course, it's not that easy when your brain is being overwhelmed due to varying reasons, including swelling as the result of dehydration as the result of heavy alcohol consumption the night before, and as a basic reaction to that sort of headache, you have your own hand on your face for the time being.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:00 pm

Guild Kitchen

Not suffering from the aftereffects of a night on the town herself, Florence is a bit faster to react, gasping with more than a bit of horror at the wound as she takes Shawn's arm, holding the wound closed for now. She gives the girl a smile tainted with worry before looking to the other three at the table.

"It's...all right, Shawn, you'll be fine. Does one of you have a...a bandage or something?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:30 pm

Zant had frowned when the knife had slipped. He knew the injury wasn't serious, but the spasm was the sign of a more significant problem. For now, though, he could only help with the bleeding.

"Here, friend. Let me sort that out for you."

He reached out smoothly and, with closed eyes, touched Shawn on the wrist.

(Cure Light Wounds)

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:54 pm

Guild Kitchen

Zant reaches out, the healing energy flowing through him and into Shawn. As fast as it appeared, the cut knits itself back up, not even a mark showing where she was injured.

Smiling, Florence takes up Shawn's utensils and begins cutting up her breakfast. She glances up quickly to the genasi as she does and says, "Oh, thank you, Zant. Do you feel better, Shawn?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:56 pm

"Um...Y..Yeah, I do." Shawn stammers, looking at where her cut was a moment before. Of course, something else grabs her attention soon after, as she turns to Florence.

"You don't need to do that!"

..Granted, she makes no effort to stop her.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:04 pm

Zant leanded back again, smiling, and it only took him a few moments to offer up a silent prayer to his deity. He really needed to get used to doing that.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:26 pm

Guild Kitchen

Florence sets the knife down as she finishes cutting the ham up, and hands the fork to Shawn. Rubbing Shawn's shoulder, she leans back into her chair. Thankfully, no one beyond their table seems to have noticed the incident; outside her recent friends, her dignity's still intact.

"It's fine, Shawn, I don't mind. Just be careful, all right?"

Looking over the group as a whole once more, and giving another grateful look to Zant, she says, "So, where are you all heading out after this, anyway? And how soon? I know new members tend to be pretty eager about their first trip."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:47 pm

"We don't..Actually know yet." Shawn said, poking at her now sliced ham a bit with her fork. "But there's a board around with a bunch of jobs, and..

"...And.."

Shawn suddenly drops her fork, standing quickly, and begins off. "I need to go to the bathroom!"

...And off she goes.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:05 pm

Guild Kitchen

A bit surprised by the sudden departure, Florence gives a small chuckle as Shawn dashes off, turning back to the others.

"I have to say, I'm glad someone with your abilities'll be going along with her, Zant. And I know the board she was talking about. It's over near the pubs, not hard to find. When people hear about jobs they don't want to take themselves, they copy them down and bring them back here for others. Good way to get some money if you need it while you're poking around the planes."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:06 pm

Zant waited until the girl was out of sight before turning to Florence.

"So, what's up with her? She's very, ah, different from the other children I've encountered."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:16 pm

Guild Kitchen

"...I'm not really sure. She just showed up a couple of weeks ago, and she didn't really have anyone else. I guess I'm just a soft touch for that sort of thing. I get the feeling she's been on her own for a while...she's really proud of her independence. Stubborn too." She gives a small chuckle, with a frown alongside. "She seems a little lonely, though. I think she likes having someone around, and I've been trying to look out for her, in case things like that happen."

"I have to say, I wasn't sure about her heading out on an actual trip, but if that's what she wants, she'd do it with or without you. So I'm glad you all let her in with the rest of you."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:52 pm

Nodding once, Zant replied "Don't worry, we'll ensure she remains out of harms way. Now, where abouts might these job postings be?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:15 pm

Guild Kitchen

Twisting over to her right, Florence looks around for a bit. It doesn't take her long to get her bearings, and she's soon pointing down an open "street", towards a couple of fairly large tents.

"Right over there, between the Walker's Club and the Canvas Dragon. Pretty easy to spot it, and it's early enough that there should still be something there. It's usually filled up overnight, and you've got to be early to get there before everything's taken."

Geesi
I fix problems.

Unread postby Geesi » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:44 pm

"Never even heard of it," Gulrd shakes his head, wondering just how far away he had gone from the kitchen in his search of live culinary delights, "where's it at?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:12 pm

Gulrd

"It's in the Plane of Steam, out near the edge of Positive. You've got to see it for yourself to believe it, it's just what the name'd suggest. A massive tower of ice, just floating there in the middle of the mists."

Vaythen picks up the pace a bit and gives a short chuckle, catching on that Gulrd and his owl might be getting a bit anxious for breakfast.

"It's supposed to be filled with laboratories from all the rumors swirling around about it. They say there's something about them that improves potions made there. Wasn't able to find a way in, though. There's some trick to it, but no one I've talked to that's tried has had any luck."

With another chuckle, he continues, "You've got some more experience with ice, though, maybe you'd have more luck. Might be something for you to think about, eh?"

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:27 am

Lorraine doesn't take long to finish eating, and neither does Aaron. She empties a small water cup, and stands. Her pleasant demeanor seems to have returned now that the conversation has left the subject of her history.

"Well, then we should get an early start on things, eh? Let's head over."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:54 am

Guild Kitchen

Nodding, Florence smiles, pleased that that line of conversation didn't dull Lorraine's mood any. "I'll wait here for Shawn to get back. Good luck finding something, you folks."

Lorraine and Zant leave the kitchen, heading through the gap past a few members looking for their own morning meal. Though there's not much to see here, the various guildees look to be putting their own touches of decoration on the place, keeping it from just being an endless parade of tents. An acryllic mural of past adventures on the side of one tent, a planter box herb garden next to another, a few pieces of worthless whittled statuary laid out around the entrance of a third. It might be a temporary home, but a home it seems to be for many folks.

They reach the job posting board fairly quickly, and it looks like they are a little late; there's nothing but a single notice left on the board. The two step up to check it over, and it looks like it might be interesting; some wizard wanting a sample from the Styx for an arcane experiment, the headwaters in Pandemonium where it's safest specifically, and willing to pay at that. They just reach the price on the flyer - 200 gold for a jar, and 800 for the labor - when they hear a coughing and a slight stumble from behind them. A quick look, and they spot the source; an elven woman, with black hair stringy from sweat and blue eyes, slightly puffy. Not just coughing, but sniffling, and fairly flushed at that. She speaks up once she comes in sight of them, sounding pretty congested.

"Oh, good timing. You two looking for a job? I was just about to put one up...don't think I can handle it in this condition, heh."

Wasn't sure if Vance'd go with them or not, Doug, what with his hangover and hating the world right now. But you can go ahead and just include him with Zant and Lorraine if he would have.

Geesi
I fix problems.

Unread postby Geesi » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:07 am

"Sure thing, but I can tell you straight that if it doesn't involve a pick, a saw, twelve gallons of oil and a tindertwig or a cliff face, I'm no more likely to know the way in than you," Gulrd shrugs. "But still, be fun to try."

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:24 am

Lux barely noticed the hubbub around him, not even glancing up at the shouts following the knife incident, as he was frantically sorting through his "to-do" list, a collection of scraps with single cryptic sentances on them. Most of the scraps are reminders as to what he is actually researching, something or other about religious rituals of residents of the plane of shadow, but one sticks out in particular.

You have joined an expedition. Try not to forget it.

"Ah."

Leaving his oatmeal half-eaten, despite not having realised that he had been given it or had started eating in his tunnel-visioned reading, Lux stands up, thrusts the memos back into the pocket from which they came, and heads off to the announcement board, trying to remember whether he had met the people he was to venture forth with.

Jak Snide

You MUST gather your party before venturing forth.

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:57 am

"We'll hear you out and, at the very least, post your job to the board if we decide not to take it. Now, how might we be of service?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:42 pm

Job Board

The elf smiles and replies, though not before being interrupted with a sudden sneeze, "It's a search job. There's a merchant down in Tradegate that was pretty insistent about the whole thing. He needs some sort of...of..."

She takes out a handkerchief just in time for a sneeze, just as Lux reaches the board. And it seems he has met them already, or at least some of these folks are familiar from something. He may as well assume it was that; it'll work itself out if it wasn't, after all.

"...Excuse me. He needs some sort of amulet, made of a kind of red iron. Never seen it before, but this guy looked like he had a serious thing for red. Dyed hair, robes, even his skin looked like it was a little red. He gave me one to compare it to, but he said his'd be a lot heavier."

Pulling out an amulet, plain metal with no jewelry on it whatsoever, she holds it out for the gathered folks to take a look.

"He wanted it pretty fast, within a couple days if I could manage it he said. Seems worried about it, even. I was planning to head over to the Mines of Marsellin, it'd be there if it's anywhere. He said he'd pay well, even gave me a quarter in advance if I'd take it. I'll give that to you folks if you pick this up for me, of course."

Gulrd

Vaythen chuckles as the two finally reach the kitchen, which looks like it's just starting to fill up. Heading up to the chef, he just barely catches sight of Lux as he heads off to the board.

"Fair enough, friend. If nothing else, it'd give you a story to tell others, eh? And if it pays off, you might end up one of the first ones to see it. Always thought that sort of thing's worth the chance, I have."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:23 pm

Zant nodded periodically as he listened. The request was simple enough and, thankfully, didn't sound all that dangerous. Then again, he'd never heard of this place.

"Tell me, where is this Tradegate?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:41 pm

Job Board

She gives a chuckle, which quickly becomes a coughing fit as she tries to get herself under control.

"...Sorry, I shouldn't laugh like that, especially if you're as new as you seem. It's on the Outlands, it's the gate-town to Bytopia. Folks say you can find just about anything for sale there if you look long enough. More trade goes on there than Sigil, even. The Mines, though, those're on Acheron."

Just barely catching another sneeze with her handkerchief, she holds up the amulet to her eye-level, looking it over as she continues, "If there's something like this left behind anywhere, it'd be there. All sorts of junk gets dumped there, from all over the planes."

She drops the amulet to her side with another cough, smaller this time, and says, "Tell you what. Since you were first here, I'll hold off on posting this for now. I need to lie down anyway. But my tent's the red one next to the wooden stairs down, over off that way. You all think it over, and if you want to take it, let me know, I'll give you the advance payment and this necklace here. If you don't come talk to me by lunch, I'll figure you decided against it and put up the posting. Fair deal?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:10 pm

Zant twitched as the elf laughed, though continued to listen to her, smile on his face all the while.

"I'll talk to the rest of my group and inform you of our decision, then. Good day to you."

And with that said, he headed off to find, gather and inform the others.

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:57 am

Vance, for the count, is still rather easy to find, were Zant to look for him; he never really left the table he was sitting at. The damn hangover had been plaguing him all the time, after all...

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:58 am

Headquarters

It's easy enough for Zant to find everyone and gather them together. With Lux at the board already, Zant spots him right off, hustling him back over to the kitchen with word of possible jobs. Gulrd's arrived and ordered with his own potential lead, with Vaythen seeing him off for now, letting him know he hopes to run into him again in the future. And before long, even Shawn shows back up, her own needs apparently taken care of.

The gathered six have a number of options now. It's merely up to them to discuss and decide their first goal.

Common knowledge of the relevant planes (no Knowledge(Planes) check required)

Acheron and Pandemonium are both Lower Planes, Acheron closer to the law side while Pandemonium closer to the chaos side. Pandemonium's a realm of tunnels and caves filled with an eternal wind that can drive you mad if you listen to it for too long; folks usually recommend ear plugs if you're going there. Acheron's a plane made up of cubes floating in an air-filled void, sometimes crashing into one another.

Steam is one of the inner planes, between Water and Positive Energy. The Plane of Mist is a bit more accurate a term for it; some spots are boiling, but the majority are fairly pleasant. There's enough air to breathe but enough water to swim.

Folks wanting more information, let me know about the skill checks you'll be making in your posts.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:52 am

Zant relayed the information the sick elf had given him to the others. Go here, find an object, bring it back. He didn't say anything more on it, though. Not until he'd heard the other lead.

Geesi
I fix problems.

Unread postby Geesi » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:28 pm

Gulrd, in turn, relays his information about a mysterious and magical tower of delicious frozen goodness somewhere in the plane of Steam, rumored to hold a surplus of wizardry and trinkets.

"Could be amazing, could be nothing," he gives his opinion, "but either way, it's not likely to be going anywhere soon, unlike the poor lass' deal. Still, damn well be something if we could find a way in."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:49 pm

"Retrieving this amulet seems like the route of least resistance. And, as our friend said, the tower won't be going anywhere soon. On the other hand, the tower does sound more...exciting."

He fell silent, torn between taking the reasonable choice and the one that interested him the most.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:25 pm

Shawn shifted her weight between her feet for a moment, holding her chin.

"We should go with the easy one. You guys don't really have experiance, and we don't know how well we'll work with eachother anyway..."

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:31 am

'Any insults aside', Vance thought, and then replied, seeming a bit more at attention, "I'm with her. I'd rather go with the more readily profitable option. Hell, we even get advance pay? I'm up for that."

Yeah, some guys like the whole exploration thing and whatnot, say it's exciting. But first would be to get our bearings around here...again, this is nothing like the Godless--and that wasn't for exploration, that was for damn sure. Besides, that's got to have been the most RIDICULOUS thing I've ever heard of; a towar of ice in the middle of some world of watery air, that supposedly has all sorts of magic shit? ...yeah, can't quite buy that yet. And we still have to walk through that for an eternity just to find this supposed tower.

...he couldn't help but smirk in amusement. Despite the hangover...

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:54 am

Lux, at the mention of the various locations they were considering, had been shuffling notes from various pockets and corners of his robes, listening with only half an ear to the plans being formed around him. At this point he seems to snap out of his academic daze with a jolt and a look of confusion.

"Profit? Ease? For these mere trifles you would forsake an opportunity to brave the unknown? The prospect of what could be contained within such a unique structure is flaberghasting! Yet you would all rather settle for less?"

Lux shrugs, continuing, "I will abide by the majority's preference, but I must say that this is not what I expected from a guild whose mission is exploration. Still, adventure seems to be at every one of life's turns, and no doubt we'll perform a memorable deed or two. I only hope that whatever treasures await in the tower are content to remain there while we set forth on this...practice run."

(Check to see if Lux has any useful information on him at this time concerning the planes they might be visiting: 12+8=20)

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:32 pm

"...It's a tower of ice in the middle of a plane of water-air stuff. It's highly unlikely that it'd disappear that fast," Vance responded, "It's better to go with the more surefire route of getting money. After that, we can go see the tower."

'Of course...it might go away eventually if it's not stuck and someone rigged a helm to it...but that's beside the point. Doubt anyone within miles of here knows what a helm is, anyway...'

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs