The Planewalkers' Journies

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:09 am

As Shawn heard Florence's voice, she quickly scrambled, putting the cigarette out and stashing it under her bedroll, and trying to wave the remaining smoke out of the air. "..J..Just a second!"

Sh quickly made sure the cigarette- And all the candy wrappers she stashed- Were well out of sight, before trying to make herself more presentable. "..C-come in."
Hey there! Can I give you a hand?

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:15 am

Shawn

Ducking through the flap, Florence hunches down a bit, grinning as she steps over towards Shawn. Not seeming to have noticed the light haze or stench of smoke still hanging in the air in here, she takes a seat next to the girl, looking her over with more than a little worry in her eyes.

"Hey, welcome back! How was your first trip? Did you have fun? You didn't get hurt, did you? You look well enough, I suppose...everything work out all right?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:37 am

"Oh..Yeah, it went good..It wasn't my first time out, you know?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:42 am

Shawn

Blinking, Florence sits back a little, again looking Shawn over.

"It wasn't? Oh...well, all right," she says while smiling, "but I'm still glad you're just fine. Did everyone treat you okay? They weren't too rough on you, I hope. They didn't try to make you do too much or anything?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:49 am

"..Oh, we just got into a little fight..I think I'm smarter than them, really." Shawn grins. "But..I guess it's okay."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:59 am

Shawn

Chuckling, she says, "Oh, you do, do you? Well, it's a good thing they have such a smart girl with them to help them out."

"Did you eat while you were gone? I already made myself dinner, but I could whip you up something, or we could see if anything's left in the kitchen."

After a small pause, Florence picks up a small, self-effacing smirk and continues, "Or would you rather I just leave you alone for now? You can say yes, it won't bother me."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:11 am

"I ate while I was.." Just as she finishes her sentance, her stomach grumbles.

She just looks a bit stunned, grinning sheepishly at Florence.

I guess it's good to know it's still there. Even if it's a traitor.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:16 am

Shawn

Grinning, she takes Shawn's hand and gets to her feet, once more hunching over in the low tent.

"Come on, let's see what they've got left. And if there isn't anything, I'll cook you up something myself, how's that sound?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:21 am

"..Okay." Shawn said. "..But I can make myself something if I need to..I'm not a baby, you know."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:23 am

Shawn

Leading her out of the tent and standing up straight, she continues to smile down at Shawn, keeping her hand as they walk towards the kitchen and laughing lightly.

"Okay, you're right, you can make yourself something. But can I watch, at least? Maybe I'll learn something."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:36 am

"Okay, that works for me."

And into the tent she goes.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:34 am

Guild Kitchen

Shawn heads towards the communal supply tent, grabbing a few pieces of meat, a bit of bread, and a couple pouches of spice, picks up a pot, some utensils, and a cutting board, and gets to cooking. After getting the fire started back up nicely, she begins preparing her meal. Florence takes a seat on the ground next to her, watching her as she works with surprised amusement.

"Well, maybe I should have given you more credit, Shawn. You look like you've done this before."

Zant

Directions in hand, and his other teammates either busy or nowhere to be seen, Zant's forced to head out on his own to collect payment. Thankfully, the trip is as short as his sickly guildmate described it, and he makes his way through the door...

...emerging in what seems to be a moderately-sized cloak room, pushing aside the hanging jackets and cloaks. The muffled hustle and bustle of activity echoes from beyond what he can only assume is the exit, a plain wooden door much like the one he just opened standing at the far end of the room. Unfortunately, there's not much obvious sign of what exactly this building is, so excusing his presence might require some fast-talking, but the mystery of exploration is part of the allure of this life, no?

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:36 am

"It's like I told you." Shawn said, cutting up some of the meat. "I've been taking care of myself for a real long time."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:42 am

Guild Kitchen

"...Oh, yes, I suppose you have." Florence continues to watch, a little sadly now, but still smiling to Shawn as she works at her meal.

Which comes along...adequately, at least, so far. She's not sure what exactly this meat is, but it's got some sort of beef- or roast-like appearance. Though the scent is a little strange, it's not unappetizing, exactly. Simply different. The bread's about as fresh as she could hope for; a little stale, but no signs of mold. And thank goodness for small favors, whoever takes care of the spices for the guild, it looks like they remember to label what they store. With a bit more work and the proper seasoning, this should turn out quite suitably, if not better.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:45 am

Shawn continues to work, but feels slightly guilty. "..Is something wrong?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:49 am

Guild Kitchen

Glancing over to her, Florence tries to give Shawn a comforting smile, though succeeding only partially. "...Oh, no, nothing's wrong, Shawn. Sometimes I just forget how long you were alone. But you're not alone anymore, remember. You've got...the whole guild here for you, and we always help one another when we need it. Remember that, all right?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:55 am

Shawn continued her cooking for a minute, before pausing and picking up a hunk of bread, ripping half off and offering it to Florence, and taking a bite out of her own, before smiling coyly. "You mean, I've got you, huh?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:02 am

Guild Kitchen

Sitting quietly for a few instants, Florence obviously needs to think about how to respond before taking the bread. Ripping a piece off it, she replies, "I mean all of us. I'd help you if you needed it, sure. And so would any of the rest of us." Popping the piece of bread into her mouth, she sits back, eating the offering bit by bit.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:06 am

Shawn pauses again. She knew she shouldn't let it bother her that it took her..friend..a moment to react, scince it was just an act...Wasn't it?

"...Yeah...Even though some of them don't..really seem to like me.."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:17 am

Guild Kitchen

Gently turning Shawn's head to face her, Florence gives her a smile.

"It doesn't matter. Just keep this in mind: the people that like you here, they'll help you because they like you. And the people that don't like you, they'll help you because if they didn't, people would stop helping them. Either way, it's win-win for us, hmm?"

She drops her hand with a small chuckle, and glances briefly to Shawn's cutting board, continuing in a happier tone, "You'd better hurry up, I heard that stomach of yours. You ought to get something fast."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:25 am

"..Yeah, okay." Shawn said, turning back to her cooking.

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:28 am

One of the eaters in the kitchen is sitting alone, hunched over a low table with his extra-long legs extended under it. He looks uncomfortable in the simple, straight-backed chair in which he is sitting, probably due to the white-feathered wings (the bottom two rows of feathers and the two nearest the edges of his wings, when visible, are an improbable royal blue) furled close to his back. His face has, like an elf's, sharp, angular features and pointed ears, but with smaller, beadier eyes and a head topped with what at first glance seems to be curly white hair but at second glance is shorter down feathers. His garb is a simple, functional suit of tan leather, cut close to his thin, bony body, and a bandana of the same blue as the dyed feathers on his wings tied around his head; of note, he is barefoot, his toes longer and better-articulated than those of a human, especially his thumb toe (more than merely a "big toe", it is fully opposable to allow grasping). He is eating stew with a wooden spoon, grasping the utensil in fingers topped with something like a happy medium between a human fingernail and a bird's talon. He doesn't seem to have any friends here, or at least none that were hungry at the same time he was.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:39 pm

Joss took a place in line behind the others, craning his neck around now and again to see how much food was left. Who was serving it? What was in it? Why were they cooking for everyone for free?

Because it's the right thing to do, Joss thought. Of course it is.

But could he just stand by and accept the kindness and generosity of these volunteer chefs? Unthinkable. Such a thing should not go unrewarded. Ignoring good deeds was a perfect way to ensure that they stopped happening. And that was something Joss simply would not allow. Completely counter to his mission.

Peeking around the much-taller adults in front of him, Joss called out to one of the people cutting food to be prepared. "Hey," he called. "Can I help?"

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:07 pm

Lux had immediately headed off on his own when the party returned, his copy of the symbol they had found on the poor, abandoned statue burning a hole in his curiosity. He headed off to the library, to try and identify what the symbol could mean.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:07 pm

Preparing himself to flash his best smile and offer a calm explanation, Zant stepped out of the closet.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:53 pm

Guild Kitchen

Looking up, the chefs smile to Joss, the further giving an appreciative chuckle. The closer of the two, a human about twice Joss's age, finishes spooning out a bowl before speaking up. Handing it off to the front of the line, he says, "We're just about done here, but thanks, it's appreciated. But if you want to help out, you could help us with the clean-up in a few minutes. And if you're around tomorrow, we'll grab you at the start of dinner, eh? Just go ahead and take a meal for now, we'll wait on you to finish."

Before long, he reaches the front of the line himself, with his choice: stew or roast. Getting his choice and a set of utensils, he's free to find a seat in the kitchen. A number of tables are full even now; some with old friends barely noticing what's around them through the fog of conversation surrounding them, others occupied with folks forced to sit together and making the best effort at socializing they can. And from the look of things...Joss is going to end up in the latter category, with one of the few empty seats being around that lone, uncomfortable-looking bird-like fellow.

Meanwhile, Shawn's meal is starting to smell just about done; it's not great, from the scent of it, but it's not horrible either, and it looks filling enough. Just a minute or two more and it should be ready. While Shawn watches the cooking, careful not to let it burn, Florence glances around the area. With a thoughtful gaze at the state of seating, she says, "Do you want me to go find us a seat, or were you going to take this back to your tent?"

Lux

Lux takes out his rubbing of the symbol, studying it carefully, considering where to begin his research as he sits in one of the Guild libraries; one of the few spots in the Guild not to be transitory, directly managed by the high-ups and always kept open for the use of its members. Perhaps a study of draconic life, or a general resource of planar symbolism...maybe a text on Acheron would mention such a symbol.

On a hunch, he investigates the last of these first, and after a few minutes, he finds his answer: this is in fact the symbol of the Mercykillers. Apparently, the fellow they found was one of their prisoners, convicted and sentenced to working the mines of the cubes.

Also, Gus, check my second-to-last post in the OOC thread, need to hear from you about that skill.

Zant

Stepping out from the cloak room, Zant seems to find himself in a fairly well-appointed waiting room of some sort, decorated in shades of green and blue; an appropriate choice for him. The couches scattered about the walls are filled with people in fancy dress, some staring impatiently at the open doorway set in the middle of one wall, others chatting friendly with one another. The scent of food drifting in and the suit-wearing person stepping into the room, calling for "Kaladosis, party of three?" quickly clue even Zant in - some sort of high-class restaurant. The doors opposite the open doorway look to be the closest way out, though it does beg the question: if the Staircase connected here, just how good is the food in this place?

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:01 pm

While the aroma was certainly enticing the gensai managed to restrain himself, instead making a beeline for the exit and preparing to make any excuses he might have to on his way out. Once outside he planned to follow the rest of the directions the sickly elf had given him. What was that sign again? Scorched banner with a ruby?

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:25 pm

"A table's fine." Shawn said, taking a momentary break to pop a piece of candy into her mouth. Bad habit, or appetizer? Who knew.

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:30 pm

Joss took a deep breath and blew it out through his lips, somewhat disappointed. A minor setback only; perhaps he could still help them clean up or pitch in tomorrow afternoon. He nodded to them and grabbed a bowl of stew. Stew was good; it had lots of things in it that were good for growing active young men like Joss. Pleased with his uncharacteristically-sound nutritional choice, the boy took his bowl over and grabbed a seat next to the odd-looking man.

There was always the possibility that he was sitting alone because he wanted to be left alone and a man was entitled to that kind of thing. However, being oddlooking as he was he must be used to attention coming to him anyway. He must have developed some kind of interesting personality to live up to his eyecatching form, and that was promising. Perhaps he'd have some decent stories to tell or would want to hear some of Joss's. Plus, the poor bastard just didn't look like he was comfortable. Maybe a distraction would be better than sitting and mulling over the sorrow and anguish of bad furniture.

Finally having finished fitting his choice into some larger, grander scheme to improve the universe, Joss set his bowl down on the table next to the stranger and flashed him a friendly smile. "Hey. My name's Joss. What's yours?"

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:34 pm

The winged man looked up to acknowledge Joss as he took a seat. "It's Theller," he said, with a nod in greeting and a friendly smile in return. Probably another newcomer here, Theller, another recent arrival, thought. "And you're...?"
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:51 pm

Guild Kitchen

Florence nods, getting to her feet. Spotting the small snack, she gives her a chiding smirk while Shawn gets her food together. "You don't want to ruin your appetite, do you?" Pausing and taking a look around at the seating situation, she continues, gesturing towards the table just taken by Joss, "There's not much room...oh, there's a couple chairs free over there. How's that look for you?"

Zant

Leaving the restaurant, Zant steps onto a fairly busy street. Merchants hawking their wares and businesses with bright signs advertising their services can be seen lining the road in either direction, but Zant ignores the temptation of spending for now, following the directions and seeking out his indirect employer. Eventually, he passes through the city wall, and indeed, the banner stands just a minute or so beyond, flapping in the breeze above a set of crates, sacks, and...small, black-scorched craters scattered about.

From here, now that he's found himself outside the limits of the city, he can spy a pillar stretching up to the limits of his sight hundreds if not thousands of miles in the distance. Though he can't make out the top, somehow he can see a ring-shaped structure floating above it, heedless of the fact that nothing supports it as it hangs ignorant of gravity.

Ignoring the far-distant landmark, however, Zant heads on, reaching the area beneath the banner. Without even announcing himself, a man appears from behind the pile of merchandise. His robes, his hair, and indeed even his skin are all red (if only a vague tint to the latter), though parts of his clothing show a few darkened patches, scorches matching the terrain about them. Exceedingly nervous, he keeps his distance from Zant, shaking slightly and keeping his hands deep within his pockets as he calls out.

"We're...we're closed! No sale right now! Come back later!"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:53 pm

"What? I need it.." Shawn murmured. Looking to where FLornece was indicating, she nodded. "Yeah, that looks fine."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:56 pm

Guild Kitchen

Before Joss can even get a reply out to Theller, the two are joined by a second pair, taking their seats across from the two. Florence gives Theller and Joss a smile as she says, "I hope you don't mind us sitting here, but there doesn't look to be much of a choice right now. I'm Florence, pleasure to meet you."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:08 am

"Shawn Guiness." Shawn said, taking a seat and digging right in. "Have I seen you around before?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:08 am

Zant felt a deep sense of resentment towards this man in the back of his mind, which quite honestly caught him a little off guard. It didn't take him long to puzzle his feelings out, though; this here was a man of fire. His appearance, his apparently destructive nature and, if he hadn't missed his guess, his very being were all intertwined with the dreadful stuff.

"Do not worry yourself, I'm not here to purchase any of your trinkets. I have come with regards to a request you rendered upon an elven lady some days ago. She fell sick and passed the task onto my fellows and I. And that is why I have brought you the amulet you wanted."

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:33 am

"Hey Theller, Florence, Shawn," Joss answered, pointing to each of them in turn. Good to know their names, and to see someone his own age! At least... an apparently equivalent age. Shawn might or might not have been human, which would make a difference. But at least Dsedh had been right. It was fine to be here. "Joss Hunter," he introduced himself with a grin. He said his own name with such pride that it might have been an honorable title, and perhaps to him it was. He didn't have to be a knight or a bard or a prince. It was fine and impressive enough that he be Joss, and soon they would know it as well.

"And I haven't been here long, so it probably wasn't me you saw," he continued. "But hey. Good to meet you now at least. How're you guys doing?" he asked to the others in general.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:50 pm

Theller smiled at the newcomers as he shifted in his uncomfortable seat again. "I've been here about a week," he said, "So maybe you've seen me around, Shawn. But I know I haven't seen you, I'm sure I'd have remembered such a pretty young lady." He gave a small wink at the young child. Theller liked children, although he expected himself to be one of the younger (or, perhaps, less mature by the standards of their race) travelers here. "These chairs are murder on me...wait a second." He stood up and stretched, unfurling his eleven-foot wingspan slightly, and turned the chair ninety degrees so he was sitting with an arm resting on the back and his wings furled comfortably.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:32 pm

Zant

"The...oh! Oh, thank Kagyar, you found it! Please, pass it here, and I'll..."

The merchant cringes as a sudden pop emits from the ground nearby, sending a spray of dirt upwards and leaving another scorched crater to match the many others about the area. After the dirt settles, he relaxes, returning to his previous state of mere high nervousness.

"...I'll pay you the entire fee, just pass me the amulet, quickly!"

Guild Kitchen

Chuckling a bit to herself as Theller goes through his routine, Florence waits for him to resituate himself. She looks to be a few years before middle age, dressed in simple but well-kept traveler's clothes. Swatting her light-brown hair back over her shoulder, she speaks up, a general tone of amusement in her voice.

"I've been here for a few years now, myself. It can be a tough life, but more than worth it, I'd say. But you know, I'm feeling a bit like the odd one out here, from the look of the rest of you all. You don't mind my sitting here with you, do you?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:07 pm

"What function does this item provide?" he asked, handing the amulet over as he did. He cast a glance to a ground nearby, contemplating if there were any more surprises hidden out of sight.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:16 pm

Zant

Visibly calming himself as he puts the amulet over his neck, he closes his eyes and gives a broad smile as it settles. He quickly opens them at Zant's query, looking a bit thoughtful before he speaks.

"It...mitigates a curse of mine. That small explosion was a side effect of the curse, and I'm afraid I was trapped here for a bit when my old amulet failed. It was a...rough day, that."

"As for the payment...," he says as he walks off towards a heavy, locked chest, opening it up and counting out 18 thin bars of platinum. "900 gold, it was?" He locks the chest, approaching Zant with some slight caution, his eyes darting about to the ground expectantly, though no more sudden bursts show themselves.

"Your payment in full. You can keep the spent amulet as an additional payment as well, with my thanks for your quick turnaround; it might no longer have any inherent powers, but it's still red steel. You might find it useful, or at least find someone willing to give you a fair price."

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs