Data missing. Requesting update...

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:48 am

A few shards, those not quite so deep into his flesh, easily fell out; the rest remained, and had to be slowly plucked out by Lucian while Carroll readied a roll of bandages for use.

"Greg, please. Put it out of your mind for a moment, and keep calming down. Otherwise, you'll continue to lose blood at an unhealthy rate," Carroll commanded, waiting for Lucian to slowly pluck the blood out of Greg's wounded hand.

Lucian did so slowly but surely, eventually leaving Greg's hand free of sharp and painful mirror shards. He left them on the ground, where they formed a small and fairly bloody pile of glass. The bag of other, untouched mirror shards remained where it was - neither Lucian nor Carroll seemed to want to touch it after what had just transpired.

Carroll was now wrapping Greg's hand tightly in bandages, seeking to cut off the bleeding by way of tightening the bandage against the skin. Her work was a bit sloppy - she certainly wasn't as able as Jikuro had been - but she managed to make a decent wrap, and she managed to tie it so that the bandages would remain on.

Carroll and Lucian now took a step back, to see what Greg would do. They were in the position to set him back down if required.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:56 am

Greg stays seated for now, not making any effort to run, holding his injured hand and wincing some from the pain.

"...It showed me what that creature's going to do. It...everyone will die, and it showed me them all. Maybe it was warning me, or maybe it was...I need to get back there. It's going to...it wants to come after both our worlds...maybe even more. And it..." He pauses for a moment, giving a dry chuckle before he continues, "It looks like a moogle. Of course it does! The perfect twist! I should have thought of it myself, it's just so fitting."

He looks to the sack of shards, just slightly, barely even noticeably recoiling from them.

"...They were doing...something...draining me somehow...powering themselves, maybe? But I can't...it's not safe for me to keep them. Can one of you...? Just until I...until we get to the Marebito."

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:02 am

Lucian shrugged, and grabbed the bag. A few random pieces fell out, but most remained within its cloth confines. He carefully closed it, taking care to not let any touch him.

Carroll, not entirely sure as to what to say, helped Greg back up to his feet. "... moogle? Not entirely certain what that is, but let's take this one step at a time. We'll take you into the forest, and we'll hopefully find the Marebito soon... or perhaps they will find us, if what you speak of is true. Just remember to keep calm, keep your impulses under control, and not attempt to run off like you did earlier."

Carroll nodded to Lucian, who kept this bag held securely in one hand, and took a position behind Greg, seemingly just in case.

She then placed an attempt at a comforting hand on Greg's shoulder and began to lead him forward in movement once again. They were already nearing the entrance of the forest... surely it wouldn't be long before they encountered the Marebito.

"Now, then. What people were you talking about? Are you saying everyone on your planet was killed by this... being? This moogle? And what did this have to do with the rest of us?," Carroll queried, apparently ready to hear Greg discuss it, if only slower and more rationally.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:17 am

Walking along at as even a pace as he can muster, he's starting to look healthier, at least, if not entirely better. He relaxes a bit at Caroll's hand, rubbing his eyes as he continues on towards the woods.

"...Both worlds. It showed me one of that group trying t' summon it attacking J...a friend of mine. Just...just about killing her, before th' vision ended. Then there was another, and the entire...I saw my city in flames, and everyone in it killed, and it was...spreading over my entire world. Then i' came here, and...everywhere, jus' destruction. It was disguised inside a...a moogle, a race from my world. About half my size, covered with white fur. This one had armor, plate mail, and a cloak. You two were fighting it, Small, others...then th' creature exploded out and..."

He starts to turn pale again, just from the memory of it, before cutting himself off, trying to focus and thinking back.

"...I don't know if those shards were warning me or mocking me...but either way, this thing has to have something to do with both our worlds, not jus' mine. I was right, tha' lens I found wasn't just random chance, it's connected too somehow."

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:35 am

At this point, the trio have entered the woods, and are well on their way inside. A quick look around will confirm that the woodlands are indeed such, and are almost overgrown with trees and other such vegetation. Some distance ahead, the lining of a river can be seen.

Carroll let her hand fall from Greg's shoulder, seeing that he's managed to regain some control of himself. "Well, Greg... I'm not certain what to say. It's interesting, yes, but the odds that all of that will come true are somewhat doubtful. Think of it this way: what are the chances that all of that sort of destruction would come to pass? While all of us... not just the three of us, but those executioner squads, as well... saw that being back there, it certainly didn't look like a small white, furry being. And even if destruction is ongoing on your world, how would it occur simultaneously on ours? Even if that being is on our world, those people trying to bring it about are still on your world, aren't they? They don't actually know you're here, do they?"

"You'd be surprised what some know and what some don't," came a voice out of the blue. Out of the thick vegetation of the woods stepped what appeared to be a person clothed in some roughly sewn fabrics and materials, several of which appear to have been made out of natural grasses and plants. The person's face was covered in something of a rough hood composed of grass-like cloths, yet their eyes, intelligent and yet sad, managed to pierce through the anonymity.

"... Gregory Campbell, Jr. We have heard that you were looking for us. Is this true?," the figure queried, breaking through the awkward silence that had swiftly developed.

Apparently, this was one of the Marebito. Carroll had already taken a few steps back, and Lucian had a hand on his sledge, just in case something went awry.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:43 am

About to reply to Carroll, Greg looks to the new arrival, appraising him as usual as he speaks to the group, and keeping his composure as best he can when he replies.

"...It is, yes. I need your help. I need t'...t' find a way back t' my world, to stop a disaster there. An' I was told your people might be able t' help me. I don' know anythin' about your people, really, but you're the...the closest thing to a chance I've got here, from th' sound of it."

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:54 am

The Marebito first looked to Lucian. "Please, put your weapon down. We do not hunt those who enter our forest. Besides, fighting when the odds are against you is a foolish bet."

Lucian looked up to see that, at some point during the past few minutes, an entire circle of the Marebito, similar in appearance to this first one, had swiftly and silently drawn up around them. None were carrying weapons and none appeared outwardly hostile, but Lucian seemed to know better than to take chances. He slowly lowered his sledge.

Seemingly ignoring Carroll for the moment, the Marebito turned to Greg. "We understand that you aren't of this world, so we are aware of your confusion. We aren't entirely certain of how much we can assist you, given your unusual circumstances... but we will do our best." The Marebito paused, and turned to Carroll and Lucian. "You will be safe at this point, with us. Can you wait here, if required?"

Carroll and Lucian, somewhat dumbly, nodded and said nothing.

The Marebito then turned to Greg. "We can speak to you, but you will have to come to a more isolated spot with us, without your companions. Once there, our discussion can go on freely. Do our terms sound reasonable?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:59 am

Looking to the two, he frowns at first, but soon nods as he turns back to the Marebito fellow.

"I...guess. A' long as they'll be all right. But if y' wanted t' do somethin' I guess y' could have already. I'll go with y'."

Glancing to the newly-surrounding circle, he gets ready to follow this person, turning back to the two.

"...I'll either be ri' back, or headin' home...if I am leavin', then good luck with everythin' in th' city."

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:07 am

Carroll, regaining some of her composure, quickly straightened out and nodded to Greg. "We'll be waiting right here, so we'll know what happens, Greg. We'll wish you farewell when the time comes... just be careful."

Lucian scoffed, "Well, we've been with you this long. Might as well stick it out to the bitter end."

The Marebito nodded to Greg and led the way through a seemingly random and fairly thick patch of trees and vegetation as the circle of Marebito remained around Lucian and Carroll, eerily still.

The figure remained silent for much of the journey, but as they broke out of the patch, Greg would find themselves standing before what appeared to be an ancient stone temple of some sort, now vastly overgrown with vegetation.

It was here that the Marebito turned to Greg, giving him an even look. "There are no worries, Gregory. We will be discussing the situation fully before we make any final decisions. Know that we have been considering this situation for some time, even before you arrived here. We know because the planet knows."

It paused, looking to the temple briefly for thought, before turning back to him. "For your sake more than ours, please explain why you think the destruction that may consume your world would spread to ours. Utilize your visions as you must, and take however much time you need. Time may be of the essence, but plenty of time remains, as well."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:19 am

Looking over the temple, Greg's a little caught up in the sights when the Marebito speaks, drawing his attention once more. He stans quietly, thinking things over before replying.

"I...don't really know for sure, I s'pose. There was tha'...tha' vision, yeah. It was so detailed too...but there's also th' lens I found. I mean...why would that jus' suddenly be there, out of the blue during all this if it wasn't related somehow? It can't be jus' a coincidence tha' i' was those shards tha' gave me those visions. Or tha' th' creature came here...that might've been my fault, comin' here in th' first place, but what if it wasn't?

"...There's jus' too much t' think it might not happen, an' too much t' risk if it will. An' I'm a little worried for this world too...if there's a me here, what about other people? An' even besides tha', it's still people here t' begin with, copies or not. An' I just'...I dun wan' people t' get hurt here, so I'm worried."

Endesu
ラムレッダ

The Choice

Unread postby Endesu » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:35 am

The Marebito did not say anything in response for a moment. It, instead, turned its sad yet knowing gaze to the temple. Greg, who apparently had also looked it over, could see that the structure was presumably hundreds of years old, yet still in solid condition, despite the cracks that had formed on the surface here and there, each overflowing with incumbent vegetation.

"Just as the plant life eventually manages to find a way to work through even the tinest of cracks in this great structure, so too do the virulent strands of destructive darkness manage to work through the vast distance that separates worlds, whether physical or magical.

You must realize, Gregory, that while a part of this can be blamed on you, much of it was preordained to occur. The destructive being that you have seen is no stranger to invading worlds... it has done this before. Each world is, in its own way, a sentient being, and each is capable of knowing the pain that has been brought about on others."

The Marebito had kept its eyes on the structure for some time, but shifted them, now, directly to Greg, giving him a look that may make him a bit uneasy. "So while that bit of 'destiny' does not fall upon your shoulders, the fact remains that part of the reason it is here is because you came here. It may have taken longer to reach this world had you remained on Gaera... however, your movement to this world caused it to eventually follow. You were hunted on your former world... and even though you were killed, you still managed to avoid your fate.

However, either it or they may very well know about this, and wish to rectify this fault in their plans. Along the way, they may very well wish to exterminate those who have helped you or brought you on your way to this location. In that sense, your vision of death being brought down upon some of the people of this world was correct."

".... however. That is not to say that it will not continue its path of terror on your former world. That is where it was 'brought about', so to speak, and that is where it will return, either now or later. Those it will encounter will be unable to stop it... simply because they do not possess the unique characteristic you possess... one whose ultimate fate is still ultimately unknown.

It is because of these visions and your unique experiences, knowing yet now knowing many of the people you have witnessed in visions or tangentially met, that you may yet be able to change the course of events...."

"... but, given that you are, still, ultimately only mortal, you can only remain in one place at one time. You will only be able to truly impact one world's fate. The other world you will be forced to leave to a potential future much as you have seen in your visions... you may hope that your actions on one world will reflect on another, but you cannot be entirely certain of this. It is the way of things."

"Hopefully I have been clear enough. Given the choice, you can either return to the world upon which you originated, or remain on the world you have already partially doomed to damnation and darkness. Either world, if left to its own devices, may descend into destruction... or may not. We may be able to take you to your world, given the magical nature of your mirror shards... but once the choice is made, return will essentially be impossible. You must make your choice, and live with the consequences, much as both Lucian and Carroll have done with their lives, and much as we Marebito have consigned ourselves to our own ultimate fate centuries ago."

The Marebito paused in its speech, now, and looked to Greg for an answer.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:24 pm

Standing quietly for a bit, taking this all in as he looks over the ancient temple, he looks back to the sage.

"...I jus' have a few questions first. Th' Greg of this world, will he come back? And me, if I go back, will I still be a...a ghost an' all?

"...An' Carroll an' Lucian...if all this hadn't happened, would they've been successful, tryin' t' change things here? I get th' feelin' you know th' future like that some.

"...Gods, I can't believe...all this on me jus' because folks've shown me the future a few times? Well...not jus' because, maybe, but it sounds like tha's a big part of it, a' least."

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:00 pm

"... we cannot help you there. If you return, you will still be within that body - it is, essentially, the only thing that's keeping you safely tiered to the mortal realm. You are, in effect, the only Greg between these two worlds at the moment. What that says for the Greg of this world... well, we cannot say," The Marebito first replied, keeping its glance on Greg.

It turned back to the temple as it continued to answer Greg's questions. "... their future would have transpired differently, to say the least. They would have gone down a different path... one less troublesome than the one they have already traveled. I am not intending to bring an emotional weight down upon you, but it is, again, partially your fault that their path has been more difficult than necessary."

"... it is more than that. You are in a unique position... you were an unknown, entering a battle against a being and a Corporation that has been waged for centuries across many different worlds. You were never expected to enter this battle, mostly due to your lack of connections with those who have survived these past battles to this day... as such, they were not able to directly trace you, observe you, or accurately measure your entire capabilities.

You are, in effect, a dangerous figure to this group and to its monster. This is why they have wanted you so much... to either neutralize you, or insure that you do not work against them."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:18 pm

He listens, thinking, and once the Marebito finishes talking he speaks up, almost no hesitancy before he replies.

"Well, I don't really have much 'f a decision here t' make, really. I wish I could help th' folks here, bu' I need t' be back on Gaera more. Th' folks here...I think they've got a good chance, at least."

"...If I manage t' find a way t' bring th' other Greg back around somehow ove' there, though, will he come back here? I did make a promise...I'm wantin' t' try and keep it."

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:31 pm

The Marebito simply nodded in response, with a curt "If that is what you think will occur."

It then turned in a seemingly random direction. "We will need the mirror shards, then."

The Marebito kept its glance fixed in that same direction for a few critical moments before turning back to Greg. "You wanted to keep a promise? There may be a chance. In a sense, nothing is impossible. How much would you be willing to risk for this promise, however?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:49 pm

"...I'm not even sure how t' answer tha' without knowin' wha' there is I can risk. If this is some sorta life-for-a-life thing...well, I'll jus' try t' find a better way back home. Other than tha', though...well, wha' is there I could offer?"

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:49 am

"Acually, I'd rather not risk my life at all," Kelne said, "However, since I don't seem to have much choice in the matter, one place is as good as another. What brings you here? And why, incidentally, the ridiculous outfit?"

Might as well get the fake talking, see if he'd let anything drop.

--------------------

32 saluted cheerfully, narrowly avoiding braining himself with his shovel and headed off to put together a reception committee for whoever their visitor was.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:39 pm

The Marebito's expression was, essentially, impossible to interpret; Greg would get the feeling, however, that the enigmatic person was wryly smiling at him.

"You reply as if some sort of sacrifice will absolutely be needed... further, you seem to believe that if there is a sacrifice, it will involve your own life for another. Presume nothing, if you would," the Marebito finally replied.

"If you have any other questions or concerns, now is the time to file them... I will most likely be the last buffer you have for this sort of information. Otherwise, let us return, so as to begin the process posthaste. Let us not forget that your companions also have much to do..."

'End' continued downward at an even pace, even as he replied, "Oh, I'm here to kill some stuff, eat some food, the same ol' shit. And I don't care for the cloak, myself, but it covers some nasty wounds I received once I was essentially booted offa Gaera. Considering the situation, I'm not in terribly bad shape."

At this point, the Moogle placed a paw on the wall closest to the second layer of the tower, tapping it ever so slightly. "The monsters here... the Ikei... they're certainly a threat to take seriously. It would seem that a number of things can set them off rather... easily..."

Stephen groaned inwardly. This entire endeavor had been a grotesque mistake... despite potentially drawing closer to the information he needed so badly, he was also at risk of permanent intelligence loss around this lot. The Kelne android was all right, he supposed... but the sheer mass of Minions and robotic Minions was slowly working at him.

There was also something about that combatant that had been dispatched of some time ago... the way the figure spoke to him. Apparently the being had known him, and did not approve of his actions. His inward grumbling, however, was silenced by the need for investigation of the exterior of the ship. Again.

He decided to let the Minions lead the way... perhaps so as to not have to lead the idiot squad into potential combat. Coming in back would at least partially shield him from the brunt of their... Minion-esque ways.

The crowd of Minions and Anti-Minions swiftly assembled about to follow under 32's order, and soon a potent Minion force had been created. The group, as a whole, moved to the exterior of the ship...

... to find their newest threat waiting for them.

It was... one of The Ducks. In fact, it was not just a Duck. It was... The Duck. Or one that looked like it.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:11 pm

Giving a small smile of relief on his own part, Greg glances off into the distance shortly before looking back to the Marebito.

"...Sorry. That just seems t' be th' way these've gone before. Guess I was due for a spot o' good news finally, though.

"Othe' questions...none I can think of. Like y' said, we've got time t' worry about. An' unless y've got the secret t' stoppin' all this, or a' least some advice, nothin' I can think t' ask would be all that worth it.

"...The folks here, they've got no idea what's gonna happen." With a frown, he looks back towards them. "I hope they manage t' keep things t'gether. Seems like i' could be a nice world someday."

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:52 am

"You shouldn't necessarily consider it 'good news'... and, no, I have no further assistance to offer you. I can assist you in reflecting upon your problems, but I cannot help you solve them. That is up to you, and you alone," the Marebito replied steadily, keeping its eyes locked onto Greg.

"And don't concern yourself too much with this world. It dies, day by day, regardless of what they may do for it. This simply is the way of being, mind, so don't let it bother you."

With that, the Marebito led the way back towards Lucian and Carroll. The other Marebito seemed to have disappeared... perhaps off to other enigmatic pursuits.

"Well?," Carroll piped up, apparently relieved that he'd returned amidst the Marebito. "What's the word?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:27 am

Thinking over the Marebito's comments, he follows the sage back to the clearing quietly, heading up to his two short-term allies when they break the forest. He speaks up quietly, a slight smile on"I'm headin' back. Turns out this'll end up workin' out after all, luckily. Guess I should thank you two for y'r help..."

Turning to the Marebito, he asks, "What'll I have to do?"

And while he says this, he telepaths Carroll, hoping to help tilt things a little more in this world's favor before he leaves.

T: You shouldn't be caught unaware by what's going to happen. This might be rough for you, but you've got to have this if I'm leaving.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:04 am

Lucian nodded to him, "Well... good luck, then. Try not to get killed."

Carroll smiled, "I'm very happy for you... and this makes our own task of getting to the next city even easier. I hope all goes well..." She firmly grasped his hand as she said this, and gave him a handshake.

The Marebito watched the scene silently, finally responding to Greg's query, "I will show you... we will have to leave these two behind, lest they wish to be pulled in with you." A firm head shake from both Lucian and Carroll seemed to deny such.

Carroll looked to Greg for a moment as he telepathically contacted her. She attempted to respond in turn, It wouldn't have anything to do with that horrible monster destroying the world, would it? I'm already worried about that.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:04 pm

Nodding to the Marebito, Greg puts some distance between him and the two, outwardly waiting, while in his mind he continues his silent conversation.

T: It does, and...I'm sorry for this, but I can't let you face this unprepared. You need to know what to watch for if I won't be here to warn you.

And with the slightest visible frown of regret towards Carroll, Greg shows her his vision, beginning to end. He may be leaving, but he won't be allowing this knowledge of what's to come leave with him.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:45 am

"Indeed. The same could be said for many people," Kelne replied. Himself among them. He absently checked to be sure they were still heading in the right direction. "But enough dancing about the subject. Shall we discuss why you're leading us into a trap?"

Because that was exactly what was happening here. Oh, 'End' wasn't taking them off the track Kelne himself would have chosen, but it was an absolute certainty that there was a trap waiting for them at their destination. Or possibly slightly before. Real End or not, his very presence here highlighted that Kelne had not been sent to this world at random, and the Infinity goon wouldn't have sent him here if there wasn't something waiting for him at the only possible route offworld.

To Kelne's mind, the tower full of Ikei didn't count as that something. It was mere window dressing.

-----------------------

32 regarded the Duck with complete equanimity. Sure, it was probably the height of complete and utter evil or something. Or so the Boss would tell him. Then again, the Boss said that about a lot of things. But that was no reason to leap into epic battle with it.

"I don't think the Not-Boss has a pond installed on the ship," he said cheerfully, "So I don't know where you're going to stay. We might be able to set you up with a bucket or something..."

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Yikes.

Unread postby Endesu » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:14 pm

(Oops, heheh. Sorry about that... lengthy absence. Quite a few things have happened in these past few months... way too much for me to talk about here. I'd simply like to post an apology and get on with the thing if at all possible. Just let me beg for forgiveness here, 'k?)

Carroll retained a strong expression, but Greg would be able to notice an almost imperceptible shiver down her spine. While she clearly did not completely break down, she was obviously struck by this vision. "I... see," was all she had to reply with.

Lucian looked at her questioningly, and she turned to whisper a bit to him. His own reaction was, unsurprisingly, much more restrained, but he also seemed a bit taken aback.

Lucian looked downward as Carroll turned back towards Greg. "Listen, please... do not worry about us. We will make sure to stay away from this creature that you described... and we will try to get a word of warning out once we arrive at our next destination. No guarantees that will have any effect, unfortunately, but we will do whatever is possible."

The Marebito, still standing as it had been, spoke up, "Are we about ready to go, then? Time is presumably of the essence."

"Why, Kelne," 'End' replied with just a touch of mock surprise. "You're so paranoid of my objectives. Why must you question me so?"

As the moogle was taking point, Kelne could not see his face, but he could sense that 'End' was looking back at him as he spoke, "Let me ask you... even if you and your friend there were led to believe that I was leading you into a trap of some sort... would you rather follow me through this relatively remote side path... or on the somewhat larger main path, where I have already succeeded in riling up some of the Ikei on hand?"

To add to this, 'End' rapped on the wall a bit more as he walked. The sound of rising groans and screams could be heard from the opposing side. "Is a bit of blind trust to much to ask, or would you rather risk the potential failure of your magical device there, amidst swarms of the mutated beings just on the other side of that wall?"

42 visibly growled, speeding up just a bit as he followed the Moogle, "You little shit, do you really think you can get away with making such underhanded threats? I could cut you down here and now, and that would likely be the end of your little scheme."

"Is that so?", queried 'End'. "If that's the case, feel free to attack me, Kelne and co. Just be aware that your actions may have drastic consequences. I would have to defend myself, if necessary..."

The Duck stared at him with a seeming lack of interest. Its eyes seemingly alit with the thought of evil schemes aplenty, yet it made no sound or outward movement beyond preening its feathers.

Suddenly, another Duck joined him. And another... and another. Suddenly, there were four Ducks, all lined in a row, each as suspicious and sinister as the last.

Even Stephen, for all of his groaning, was somewhat taken aback by this sinister presence.

It was then that the Ducks took a single step forward...

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:27 pm

Greg nods to the two of them, himself still frowning as he replies, "Goo' luck, both o' y'. I'll be hopin' for this world."

He turns to the Marebito and says, taking a breath, "Yeah, I'm ready." Crossing his arms nervously but trying to stay calm otherwise, he prepares himself for the transit back to Doma, whatever form the journey back home ends up taking.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Rushing things a bit.

Unread postby Endesu » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:15 pm

The Marebito nodded in response, and led Greg away from Carroll, who gave a last, weak wave of farewell, and Lucian, who had already turned away.

The Marebito led Greg into the forest once more, albeit in an entirely different direction. This went on for some time - it seemed that each step placed them deeper and deeper into the impenetrable growth.

Eventually, the Marebito halted and turned, stating, "This should be sufficient." It held a hand up, grasping what appeared to be the bag of mirror shards. Had Greg been holding onto it all of this time, or had the Marebito taken it at some undetermined point...? Curious.

"Now, then, we shall make use of your macguffin. Safe to say, I'm not entirely certain what will await you once you return. Prepare yourself for the worst, as it were." With that, the Marebito removed a single shard from the bag and seemed to 'tear' a wide crevasse within the air, opening a way into darkness. "Follow this path, and you should be able to return to Gaera... given time."

The Marebito now stepped away, holding out the bag of shards if Greg wished to retake them, and leaving the way open for entry through the crevasse.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:12 pm

Staring through the rend in space, Greg nods absently, taking the bag of shards once more in hand as he attempts to get a glimpse at what lies along the path he'll be taking. Hanging the sack off his belt, he steels himself, doing his best to force out the fear that's still running through his mind. "Thanks again. An' I truly do wish th' best f'r your world. If I could, I'd stay an' help...bu' y' pro'ly know it wasn't ever a choice f'r me. Bu' y' have my word, if I find a way t' help from Gaera, I'll do m' best t' use it."

With that said, Greg takes another breath before stepping forward, entering the rip with his sword out and his eyes watchful, wary for whatever might lay between the worlds to stand in his way.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:30 pm

As Greg departed through the crevasse, he would hear a few last words from the Marebito. "Regardless of whether or not you can keep that promise, this will be the last time you see me alive, Gregory. I shall pray that your ultimate fate is kinder than mine."

There was no time for Greg to reply, however; he had already entered the crevasse, and the world behind him had disappeared from sight. For all intents and purposes, he was alone once again.

Taking a look at his new surroundings, he would find himself on what appeared to be a craggy path of some sort. He could see that the path apparently stretched on for some great distance ahead... in the very distance, he could see what appeared to be a speck of light. Presumably this is where he was intended to go?

Turning back would reveal an identical path heading to a slightly different speck. Not much point in going that way, was there? Any attempts to seek an alternate path were, at this time, quashed; an eerie blackness surrounded the craggy route entirely.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:51 pm

Keeping his sword ready, Greg has little choice but to continue on ahead. He keeps to the center of the path, staying focused on the point of light and doing his best to keep his vision from wandering. Nervous what else might be in this...whatever this realm is, he's somewhat unwilling to spend too much time looking into the darkness enveloping him, and even more so to acknowledge the gaping nothingness below his walkway. Humming a tuneless melody to keep his mind occupied, Greg thinks for now of little more than his plans after his return to Gaera.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:07 pm

Continuing down the path would reveal an interesting development; it appeared to alter ever so slightly with each step. The darkness around him briefly swam in with one; it swam out with the next. The speck appeared to disappear with one; with the next, it drew closer.

To be sure, this was a bizarre turn of events, but no more bizarre than the figure who would appear some distance ahead of him, crumpled up and lying face-down. From what he could tell from his apparent distance, it appeared to be a skeletal figure, dressed in rags... but he could always draw closer, if he wished, and find out more about this... former being.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:40 pm

Though the shifting nature of this region is certainly unsettling, he pushes it aside as he continues on his journey. That is, until he spies the figure laying in the path ahead. Of everything he expected to encounter on this journey, this certainly wasn't one of them. However, it's here, and he can't change that now, nor can he find a way of avoiding it while continuing forward. Thus, keeping his sword in hand, he calls out at a reasonable distance, not making any effort for stealth; it's not like there's anywhere to hide, after all.

"Friend or no?"

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:48 pm

There follows a moment's silence, before said silence is shattered by a voice darkened and aged considerably in its tone.

"... not a friend, but then, in my current state, certainly not an enemy, either. I am but... a rotted being, left to decay in this place," the figure groaned, slowly coming to a stand and facing Greg. The bones, which hung loosely out of the rags, had apparently begun the process of a slow and gradual rot, giving the figure a fairly unpleasant appearance. There appeared to also be a snout of some sort on the being's skull... more likely than not, this apparent corpse was not human.

"And who are you, to be trodding on a path such as this? Surely, I have seen the dead pass by this way from time to time, but never one of the living."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:02 am

Trying not to recoil at his appearance, Greg slowly continues his approach, letting his sword drop some but still watching warily. He certainly seems nonviolent enough, but he's not exactly eager to give someone the benefit of the doubt right off the bat, not with everything else that's happened.

"Jus' a traveler tryin' t' get back home by what' I've been told's th' only route I can take. Th' name's Greg. You?"

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:12 am

The wraith appeared to be watching him, though Greg would find it difficult to tell, truly; given the nature of this being, it had no actual eyes, only empty sockets. Perhaps there were maggots beyond there, left to roost after so long without any actual flesh to devour? There was no way to tell, and Greg likely wasn't too interested in finding out.

"If this is the only path you can take, then you must be in dire straits indeed. You are, essentially, in a pocket of Limbo... somewhere inbetween the realms of life and death, as it were. The path you walk may seem direct enough, but due to the nature of this realm... nothing is as clear as it would seem," the skeletal figure croaked in response, swaying slightly as it did so.

"I had a name once, yes... a name known and respected by many. But, for the most part, those many have disappeared from the world I know, leaving me an unknown specter, ultimately forgotten...," the figure continued to croak, appearing to glance at the path Greg had been heading down. "As I am forgotten, I have nothing to derive my concept of identity from... I am little more than what you see here."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:28 am

Nodding at his description of this realm with a slight frown, Greg says, "Tha' sounds 'bout right, yeah. Crossin' between life an' death's just about the only way I could expect t' take t' get back t' Doma."

His frown deepens as the nameless figure continues, a sympathetic cast to his expression. "Huh. Not a fate I'd wish on a person, I'd have t' say. Y' know how long y've been stuck here?"

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:34 am

"But even upon arriving here, you may never get out, and eventually come to rot like I have... unless you know the way, which most likely you do not, given that you're relatively new to this realm," the wraith replied, croaking and quaking as he had been.

"My time here... it has felt like an eternity, but it can't have been more than... fifteen... sixteen... years since I was... sent here. I have kept count, you see, as I have had little else to do in this realm. Stay here for long enough, and you will begin to see things the way I have been..."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:36 am

Not having realized an eternity stuck within this realm as a possibility, Greg's obviously struck by the concept. Standing speechless for a few seconds, eventually he finds his voice once more, his mouth a bit drier than it had been.

"...I see. Well...no offense, bu' I'd like t' avoid tha' fate. Would you happen t' know the way out? Or how I could find it, a' least?"

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:43 am

"... I would. I obviously have not seen everything there is in this realm... surely, Limbo is as endless as existence itself... but time and time again, I have returned to the spot from which I was vomited from my world into this one," the wraith croaked, bringing up a lit candelabra out of nowhere. Almost instantaneously, some of the darkness that had surrounded the path disappeared, and a path to Greg's immediate left appeared.

"... however," the wraith stopped, looking (apparently) at Greg. "I ask for something in return. All of those years ago, I attempted time and time again to escape this place. My attempts obviously failed. However, were I to exit with you, I may be able to finally breach this cursed realm and return to my former home. It has been some time... but I wish to once again feel the land in my bones."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:02 am

Greg gives a brief glance to the path, considering the figure's request silently. After a bit, he looks back, nodding. "Fair deal, sounds like t' me. We'll head back t'gether, an' with any luck, we'll both be back soon 'nough. Wouldn't do much for me t' leave you hereafte' gettin' help from y' like this, right? Can't imagine anyone tha'd deserve t' be stuck here."

PreviousNext

Return to Gaera Main RPs