The Next Crisis

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:30 pm

Seryntas spun away from the door to leave the two archers a clear shot at the demons loitering in the hall.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:27 pm

As soon as her first two shots sunk into whatever poor thing walked through the door, she immediately nocked more, listening to the twang of her bow. It was rather interesting. The demon's bow had a higher pitched hum when it shot than her old bow.

In any case, now that Seryntas wasn't in the way, Xiao Long had a few good clear shots at the demons still trying to make up their minds about their comrades-turned-pincushions.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:21 am

A few more arrows sailed out through the door, fired from Xiao Long and Kilisha's bows. Three of the incubi went down under this barrage, but the fourth dove to the side to put the wall between himself and the archers. A second later, though, Kilisha heard his feet hastily retreating down the hall, so she stepped through the door and dropped him with an arrow to the back.

"Looks... like it's clear... out here," Kilisha said after looking around for a moment. "Shall we... proceed?"

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:01 am

Xiao Long smiled with glee at how easily those demons had gone down. she put away her bow and took out her two swords again, stepping through the threshold and standing next to Kilisha.

"Let's go."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:29 pm

"Right," Seryntas intoned, following the girls out the door and then sidestepping past them. "I'll lead. In my armor, I can take more and harder hits than either of you, and as it is I can't fight from the back anyway."
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:53 am

Kilisha found this arrangement agreeable, so she took up her position behind Seryntas and followed.

The hall happened to be inside the inner wall of the castle that surrounded the central courtyard. Most of the demon soldiers were at the outer wall, therefore the group didn't encounter much more resistance here.

Eventually, they came across two stairways beside one another. One stairway went up and a light, probably the light of the sky, could be seen shining from the top. The other stairway went down into darkness, and the occasional moan could be heard echoing up from it.

"So... which way do we go?" Kilisha asked, posing the obvious question. "If those... stairs that go up... lead to the top of the wall, then... there'll probably... be guards up there. On the other hand... if that's a dungeon... the other... stairs go to... it might be dangerous too... but maybe we could find some help there. Of course, we could... also keep going... down this hallway... but... it will... probably just lead to the gates... and those will probably be... guarded."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:50 pm

Xiao Long pondered this question, then asked "Shouldn't we open the gates to let the orcs in?"

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:59 am

"Kid's right," Seryntas agreed. "And usually you guard gates from people outside. We could kick some ass if we attack the gates from the place the gates are supposed to be protecting."

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:15 pm

"Good points..." Kilisha said. "Then I suppose... that's where we're heading next."

"Don't go away just yet!" a snarling voice suddenly growled from just up the hall.

A large orc was approaching, stomping down the hallway towards the group. The orc was wearing a suit of heavy plate mail and carrying a carrying a large battle axe, and his eyes were glowing brightly red. Following behind him were two succubi wearing chain mail and carrying drawn longswords.

"I thought I smelled intruders," the orc declared. "You smell like those rebel fools! But you're no orcs. Kor Nong will soon bring our race power and glorious battle, and you weaklings won't interfere."

Raising its axe, the orc charged on, its two guards coming along behind it.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:28 pm

Orc... here... inside the castle. It took Xiao Long a few moments to figure out why there was an orc inside the fortress, and why it was attacking them. The two succubi behind him, though, convinced her to attack. She leapt forward, dodging under the expected axe, and attacked one of the succubi, lashing out with her right sword.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:37 am

Seryntas brandished his greatsword, then hauled ass in the direction of the big orc. At the last moment, though, he performed a surprisingly deft spin and swung his sword at the succubus on the far side from where Xiao Long was attacking.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:47 am

With Xiao Long's sword coming at her, the succubus parried with her own sword. She then immediately attempted a counter attack by swiping the longsword inwards at Xiao Long's neck.

Selecting Seryntas as its target, the orc swung his axe down at him, but the human spun aside at the last moment. The axe continued on its path and slammed into the floor, busting several chunks of stone up and leaving a deep groove.

The succubus Seryntas targeted was not expecting the attack, and so she was taken by surprise. Her wits were about her enough that she was able to get her longsword in the way of the great sword, but the force of the blow still sent her staggering back several steps. Her balance was gone for the moment.

Dashing in behind Seryntas, Kilisha decided that the orc would have to be her opponent. She swung her knife at the creature before it could get its axe hoisted again, scoring a stab on its shoulder. The orc responded to this with a quick backfist that caught Kilisha on the jaw. Fortunately, Kilisha wasn't inordinately fazed by this, so she simply held up her knife defensively and squared off with her opponent.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:51 pm

Xiao Long saw the longsword swipe toward her ducked the blow. As the sword wihstled over her head, she stabbed both her swords forward, hoping to catch the succubus in the gut.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:14 am

Seryntas pressed his advantage a moment more with a kick in the direction of the unbalanced succubus, before attempting to take the flank across from Kilisha, hacking horizontally at the orc's back with his sword; not a particularly efficient way to get through plate, but good for getting an enemy's attention, he noted silently.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:33 pm

Xiao Long's swords both ran through the succubus' stomach at once. Before she even realized what had happened, the succubus felt her strength leave and fell to the floor. She weakly lifted her sword up defensively for a short moment, then dropped it and fell unconscious.

Seryntas' kick sprawled the other succubus out on the floor. His sword then slammed into the back of the orc's armor. Though this caused no damage and didn't even stagger the creature, it did win the orc's attention.

The orc responded to the threat by rushing at Kilisha with a wide horizontal swing of its axe. Kilisha agily rolled backwards to avoid this swing, but the orc continued forward and caught her arm in its free hand. Then, with hulking strength, it hauled her up and threw her through the air like a rag doll at the human.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:12 am

Seryntas scrambled to avoid hurting Kilisha, dropping his weapon and attempting to catch her in her arms and set her right.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:33 am

Xiao Long turned as soon as she saw the succubus fall and assessed the situation. The other succubus had been felled, and the only one that was left was the orc. As she saw he orc throw Kilisha, Xiao Long lunged at the orc, aiming to grab onto its head.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:33 am

Kilisha slammed into Seryntas' armor, but suffered no serious injury and was kept from falling to the ground by the catch. However, before she could get her bearings, the orc charged with its axe at the now unarmed human and disoriented succubus. Before it could reach its target, though, the orc saw Xiao Long and stopped to put its weapon up in the way of her lunge. Though this stopped Xiao Long from reaching the orc's head, it also stopped the orc from completing its own plan.

The succubus that had been knocked down by the kick now rose to her feet again and came toward Seryntas with her sword poised to strike from behind. Luckily, Kilisha glanced back and saw this just in time to bring up her dagger and parry the stab.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:23 pm

Seryntas scrambled for his sword and got it, bringing it up in a strong defensive posture.

(EDIT: I NEED TO STOP NOT REMEMBERING TO DISABLE MY SIGNATURE IN THIS FORUM GAAAAAAAAH!!!)

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:48 pm

Xiao Long saw the axe come up towards her and she realized she should have thought that plan out a bit better. She brough her swords up to stop the axe from cleaving her in half. She was lucky her father's swords were good quality swords, or she's be hal as short as she already was. The axe hit her swords and the power behind the attack numbed her hands again. The sensation was beginning to annoy Xiao Long. The force of the blow also slammed Xiao Long into the floor, knocking the wind from her.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:02 pm

Seizing the opportunity, the orc went after Xiao Long while she was down. First raising the axe above its head, it the brought the weapon rushing down at her.

Kilisha found herself hard pressed to hold off the succubus she fought, having only a dagger to oppose the evil demoness' longsword. For the moment she was stuck on the defensive, seeing no opportunity to get past her opponent's swordplay.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:36 pm

Seryntas attempted to step in under the orc's guard, to parry the blow if possible, but totally prepared to take the hit for Xiao Long if necessary.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:29 pm

Xiao Long was helpless to stop the attack. As soon as she was able to take a breath she saw the axe up in the air again. She raised her sword to try and block the attack again, though she doubted it would help her.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:29 am

The orc saw Seryntas coming in under the blow to attempt a hasty parry. The orc began to grin as it thought its chop was about to land on what it considered the most dangerous-looking of its opponents. Then it heard a loud boom and was jolted by a blast of lightning.

The orc staggered away. Smoke was billowing out of its armor, but it was still somehow standing. Nearby stood a succubus wearing a robe similar to the one that had been worn by the warg-riding sorceress outside the castle.

"You traitor!" snarled the orc, raising his axe and charging toward the succubus.

The succubus' eyes went wide, as she had expected her spell to finish the orc. She then looked in the direction of Seryntas and Xiao Long, her eyes begging for one of them to keep her from being split like a log.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:49 am

"Shoot him, kid!" Seryntas barked at Xiao Long as he tried to catch up to the orc. The orc, with the advantages of longer legs, more freshness (having not necessarily been fighting all day), and the unbridled rage of someone who has just been on the business end of a lightning bolt against its caster, would probably be able to outsprint the human at that particular point in time.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:59 pm

Xiao Long was shocked by the sudden change of events, but she stil had enough sense to act on Seryntas's order. She flipped onto her feet, dropped her swords and pulled out her bow in one fluid motion. She nocked an arrow to her bow and took aim at the orc. The tip of the arrow was pointed at the base of the orc's neck. She pointed up a little to compensate for gravity, then released. Her actions took all of about four seconds.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:18 am

The orc was about to reach the succubus, who threw her arm up and flinched away in a useless defensive gesture. It roared with rage, preparing to bring the axe down, when suddenly an arrow drove into the back of its neck. It fell to the ground, shocked out of its blind rage that had taken its attention away from its other enemies. Slowly, a formless shadow emerged from the creature, rose several feet into the air, and dissipated. Then the orc was dead.

The succubus Kilisha fought, seeing that she was now alone, started to back off in hopes of escaping. Kilisha pressed her at first, then realized what had transpired and allowed her to break free. Before the succubus had run far, though, Kilisha readied her bow and fired an arrow into her back. The succubus stumbled forward a few more steps, then fell to the floor.

The sorceress looked down at the fallen orc for a moment, then nervously at the mercenaries, hoping they wouldn't set upon her next.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:37 pm

As Kilisha took down the last demon, Xiao long whirled on the succubus that had shot lightning at the orc. She had an arrow nocked to the bow already, and she pointed it at the succubus, the arrowhead just a mere inch from her neck.

"Who are you and why are you helping us?"

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:36 pm

Seryntas stared cautiously at the orc's corpse. The bounty hunter had seen many people die over the years, but watching a body give up the ghost with his naked eyes was a new one on him. Still, he was a professional, and didn't let it bother him. He squared up to the newcomer, sword in hand but in the least threatening posture he could be in and still be ready to react.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:17 pm

Kilisha turned to face the sorceress as well. Following Seryntas' example, she nocked one of her arrows, but refrained from taking aim.

However, the sorceress did have one arrow at her throat, which was enough to make her quite nervous. She tried to hold perfectly still as she answered.

"I'm not your enemy," she insisted. "I'm the one who called your employer here, though he doesn't know it. What's being done with the anomaly here is too dangerous. It's a threat to our city and... everyone else on this continent. That's why I have to help you."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:05 pm

((You know what's kind of funny? What happened to Jeshua? He kind of dissappeared back on page 9. And it's... page 14?))

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:39 am

(He's with the orcs outside the castle right now. He'll be back later.)

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:58 pm

Xiao Long wasn't too sure is she entirely believed the demon's story. Then again, she had helped them, although minimally. She kept her arrow pointed at the demon's neck, and turned to her teammates.

"What do you guys say? We let her live?"

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:01 pm

"Cooperative enough," Seryntas grunts, before turning to the sorceress with his best hardened mercenary face. "You walk where we can see you, and keep your hands at your side unless we see more fighting, so we know you're not about to fry the three of us when we're not looking. The kid here will do a real good job of looking after you...in more ways than one." Then, back to Xiao Long. "Kid, you even get a bad feeling about this one, don't even waste time putting an arrow or six into her neck and other sensitives. Got it?"

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:52 pm

The sorceress, smart enough to comply without resistance, held her hands by her sides as rigidly as she could, making every effort not to make any movements that even resembled a magical gesture, but was unable to keep from trembling noticeably. She said nothing in response, not wanting to risk speaking without permission, but her breath was audible and shaky.

Kilisha, relaxing the tension on her own bow but not removing the arrow, looked down the hallway again.

"Are we... still heading for... the gate now?" she asked.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:20 pm

"I think so..." Xiao Long said, keepign her arrow trained on the demon. "And, I hope the old guy's there. Then we can verify this demon's story." Then she remembered that Kilisha was also a demon and added "Not that being a demon's a bad thing. Well, it is.. but... uuh.. well, not all demons are bad..." After fumbling over the supposed explanation of herself, she looked to Seryntas for help.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:53 pm

Seryntas ignored Xiao Long's silent plea. Kilisha wasn't thin-skinned enough to care, he felt. "Let's go."

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:36 pm

Seryntas was apparently right about Kilisha, as her only reaction to Xiao Long's fumbling was a slightly amused smirk.

The three mercenaries and their prisoner continued to make their way down the hall. Eventually, they came to a corner, and rounding it brought them into sight of an incubus sitting in front of a large wooden door. The incubus jumped up from his chair as soon as he saw the group, but Kilisha fired an arrow into his chest before he could draw his sword.

The door was barred, but the bar was on this side.

"What's... past this... door?" Kilisha asked the sorceress.

"That would be a corner tower," the sorceress answered. "It will be guarded, but the guards shouldn't be expecting anything to come at them from this side."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:47 pm

Xiao Long smiled. "Peek-a-boo"

Then she realized something. "If we're going to get into a fight... what are we going to do about her?" She motioned towards the demon she was holding at arrow-point.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:39 pm

"We saw what she did to that orc," Seryntas pointed out. "She's gonna give the same to any other former ally of hers we happen to see. Ain't that right, sweetheart?" He glared at the sorceress.

PreviousNext

Return to Gaera Main RPs