To Cure a Cabbit (Closed PS RP)

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Re: To Cure a Cabbit (Closed PS RP)

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:16 pm

"Pretty good bit, but there are extra stores of it. Still, I'd like to be sure we have enough, rather than making a guess, no matter how educated it is."

pd Rydia

*bubble*

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:21 pm

Guess not. Wait, is Pervy talking about that--what was it? Lauke or something? With a shrug, Dia turned around and made her way to the back room. Within minutes, she was returning, carrying a plate of smallish sandwiches of various types and a few of the inn's more expensive and savory-looking bastet meals--looked like Dia went with the small-party buffet type deal.

Sven scurried ahead of her, distributing plates and utensils at each place. One could just hear him whisper, as he slipped away, "Fuchsadraakne...!"

Dia nodded all around, ears bobbing with the movement. Then, pausing a step, she grabbed a chair and pulled it up to the table, turning a sharp look to Pervy.

In an undertone, so as not to interrupt the debate about fuel, she asked, "How long's this thing going to take you, cap'n?" Dia spoke his (incorrect) title as if it were any other name or nickname.

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:30 pm

"Nearest I can figure, it'll take a month t' get there by air, given stops at night an' such. After that, it'll be up t' ye to speed it along. As fer fuel...nearest I can figure, with a bit o' work, we've can get there easy. But ye'll need t' restock once ye get there. I'll be givin' ye th' money t' get it, naturally. Dunno if they'll take it, mind. Didnae have none when I was there."

Shinigori V2

Re: *bubble*

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:42 pm

"A month, by air..." Paige repeated, seemingly doing some calculations in her head. "That'll be alot of fuel...It's possible, but it could be done. Stopping at night would require landing...In the ocean?"

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:47 pm

"Probably better to take along some trade goods," Kelne said, "Much better odds of getting something for them than an unknown foreign currency. A bit of judicious trading, and we might even wind up with some interesting stuff to bring back."

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:53 pm

"Trade goods would be nice, but you don't know what they'll value, and they'll be weighty on the flight. You ought to bring along a mage who can open a small portal to a nice storage room full of coal and trade goods...of course, they don't come cheap, by any means."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:08 pm

"I don't think the admiral here is in a position to be bothered by monetary concerns."

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:10 pm

"Any thoughts on that topic, Pervy? You must have gotten some sense of what they did or didn't have, and what they valued during your time there."

He had an idea on how to reduce their reliance on coal, but there was no sense in airing it until he'd taken a look at the airship's engine. Check his assumptions about the basic principles at work and so forth. He'd have to clear it with Paige. She'd likely take a dim view of anyone messing about in there without her knowledge.

FlamingDeth

Glossing? More like completely ignoring!

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:23 pm

Turning over the possibilities in her mind, Valentia came up with some possible plans of action. She could go the honest way, and just wait for them to start recruiting crew. Many of the current crew likely wouldn't particularly want to take the risks, and Valentia was an experienced sailor, after all. How different could an airship and a sailing ship be?

The other option was stowing away. She had managed it before, though it wasn't desirable. Valentia really didn't look forward to this option, but if it came down to it...

Still, both involved waiting for the opportune moment, which certainly wasn't now. She remained still, and listened.

Jak Snide

Re: Glossing? More like completely ignoring!

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:50 pm

Jak reconsidered his proposal; art and the like was a certainty if Pervy wasn't mistaken, while trinkets would be a gamble. Easier to transport, but still a gamble.

"Do you remember what precious metals they had over there? Say, when are you planning to launch this trip"

Edited by: Jak Snide  Image at: 2/27/05 22:36

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:00 pm

(+100 XP to Kelne for the Trade goods idea)

The Admiral rubs his chin, pondering for a moment. "Well, I'll tell ye what I know about th' lot. I dunno how much o' Savatra I saw, spent most o' it in th' wilds. Tis a warm place, what I saw. Lotta rice, some wheat. Some do in cotton an' th' like. I'm thinkin' if yer lookin fer trade goods, ye oughta consider art things, like paintin's and sculptures and th' like. Somma th' nobles there got more money than a fish has gills.

"Speakin' o' nobles, Savatra's got a real mean class system. Ye see, folks there are born intae a place, and they stay in it. Nobles stay nobles, merchants stay merchants, priests stay priests, an' th' like. They say that's how th' gods like it, an' they dun cotton well t' folks tellin' 'em elsewise. Odd thing I've seen. Mage families only have mages, aye? What's odd is they always seem t' have th' knack t' use magic. Dun never skip a generation, an' apparently they never have it come up among other folks. Dunno why."

JasonAB17

Unread postby JasonAB17 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:17 pm

Jeridan had little to add to the conversation, be he made sure to nod in all the right places. Most of what he might have said had alkready been stated by others.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:25 pm

"How about we load up on the magical trinkets they sell at the curiosity shops around here? They sell good to the richer visitors from what I can tell, and if magic is restricted to certain families then the nobles should lap the stuff up."

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:43 pm

"Dunno how they took care o' enchanted stuff," Pervy says with a shrug, "Ne'er thought t' ask, really. Ye can try, but I dunno how well it'd go over."

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:51 am

"As soon as ye lot are ready, and I'm thinkin' they have it about like we do. Didnae get t' see much."

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:55 am

Kelne nodded thoughtfully, "Artwork and luxury items sound doable. I expect we can round up a fair amount before we leave. The other major difficulty's going to be communication. Unless you've got a couple of telepaths stashed away in the crew, I'll wind up being the only one who can talk to the locals." He shrugged. There probably wasn't much to be done about that. These people must have been pretty isolated if none of them knew common.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:55 am

"Uh, if I can say something..." Paige interjected, adjusting her glasses. "An airship can only carry so much weight without being effected by it. Statues would get pretty heavy pretty quickly, along with any bigger items. I might be able to tune up the engines to work better for carrying that stuff, but I'd have to test them to make sure they still worked correctly, not to mention safely..."

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:21 am

Kelne nodded, "I was thinking more in terms of paintings, and small items. No large statues or anything else too heavy."

JasonAB17

Unread postby JasonAB17 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:56 pm

Jeridan shrugged.

"They're all fairly light weight. Why not just bring an assortment of all of it as a safety net? Anyway, I'm ready to head out when everyone else is."

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=jasonab17>JasonAB17</A]&nbsp; Image at: 2/28/05 16:56

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:43 pm

"You'd get more bang for your buck out of jewellery, gemstones, maybe designs for architecture or useful contraptions..."

With a good show of hiding a grimace, Dia looked over at Pervy. "How's the market for recreation in this Savatra place? You think you'd be able to sell the design for something like the pinball machine over there? I could set you up with a copy of that..."

FlamingDeth

:(

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:20 pm

It was not the opportune moment. However, the way things were turning out, it seemed that said moment would never come around. As such, Valentia decided to take advantage of the least inopportune moment. Which was to say, that one.

"...ready to head out, you say?" she said in an inquizitive accent that would sound Barian to most, turning in her chair to face the group. "From the sound of it, there's still an awful lot of preperation to be done, so I wouldn't be in such a hurry. In addition to not having all these trade goods that I can't help but hear about, the crew of this...airship...may not all be willing to go out into parts unknown from which they may never return. I would suspect that you'll be finding yourselves short-handed."

With any luck, that would get the gears turning in her favour.

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:42 pm

"I dunno how they'd take t' that thing, meself," Pervy says to Dia. "I'm guessin' they'd like it a bit. Might be a trick t' get it over intact, mind ye."

He then looks over to Jeridan and nods at his readiness. Then Valentia's words catch his ear. "Ye got half o' it," he says, looking at the woman, "Th' crews a might on th' slim side, an extra hand're two wouldn't be no strife. I'm guessin' ye want in. Tell me why I oughta let ye. Ye got th' sound o' a Barian in yer voice, and as far as I can tell, Barians dun muck about wit' airships much."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:55 pm

"Nor do they muck about with Domans, either." he thought. Griff, while an exception to the rule, had apparently gone through hell and high water when he initially joined the guard. And that was before Vaniyakna had become the nation wide figure of menace he now was.

FlamingDeth

I AM A SPY!

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:57 pm

"Oh, I can't say that I've been on an airship before..." Valentia responded, secretly quite happy that the strange looking man responded quite that well. "...but I do have a fair amount of experience on the regular kind, and no doubt at least some of the duties are similar."

"Besides..." she added with a grin. "...this does seem to be a unique opportunity. I have no ties to keep me here; it would be foolish of me to pass up a chance like this."

And that should do it, he'll never suspect a thing, she thought, her cycloptic gaze never breaking eye contact with the admiral.

Uncle Pervy

Valentia got very lucky!

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:11 pm

The Admiral seems a bit mollified. Just a bit; perhaps she has struck some sort of chord with him? "I can get what ye mean, there. So who th' hells are ye, an' how long have ye sailed? Dun find many free Barian sailors this far inland."

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Re: I AM A SPY!

Unread postby Kelne » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:20 pm

For his part, Kelne turned an appraising look on the interloper. Granted, if there was anywhere you'd find random volunteers for an expedition of this nature, it was the Jade Dragon. Still, he was suspicious. Despite the fact that he couldn't see any ulterior motive for someone coming along for a voyage off the map, he had a nagging suspicion there was one.

He resolved to keep an eye on this one.

pd Rydia

Re: Valentia got very lucky!

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:48 pm

Dia herself didn't look that trusting of this newcomer...but hey, that's Dia. And, for Dia, she seemed unusually welcome for the interruption. Possibly, this was related to her silent retreat from the table and disappearance to the stairs.

Several minutes later, she returned, carrying a thick, leatherbound tome heavily magicked against the ill-effects of time and other, less natural mischief. This was a familiar book to regulars of the inn--passed down to Dia from the previous innkeep, Pheryl, it contained the runes used to cast bastet spells.

The current innkeep liked the fire-proofing rune, herself.

She brought the book over and set it down at the table near Pervy, pulling out a paper-filled folder from the inside cover and passing it to the man.

"Here I thought I'd wind up selling this in the city somewhere for a fine deal of money--oh well." She waved her hand dismissively. "Cap'n, if you don't haggle that well, I swear by Nekogami's first litter--" Dia glanced sideways at the seaman, narrowed eyes glinting; the corner of her mouth lifted in humor, showing just the tip of a fang.

Silly halfdragons.

Dia's expression turned serious as she moved around to look at him directly. "You planning on moving out right now, or do you have a few days to set things up?" Ears twitched in obvious agitation as her jaw worked slightly. "Y'know, if you give me a couple days or so, so as I could arrange things, it might be I could come along and help things out."

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:20 pm

"Gonna take a few days t' get half o' what th' lot wants, anyhow," says the Admiral to Dia. "Yer more'n welcome about. Someone else wit' some common sense tis always welcome."

FlamingDeth

Lucky...or AWESOME?

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:42 pm

"Oh, I try to stay well away from Barius." the one-eyed sailor wench responded, perfectly content with the rest mistaking her nationality for the moment. "I am Valentia Simona Elena Marietta di Mosca, duelist and sailor. It's hard to remember when I didn't sail..."

Given her appearance, it did seem that she had a few years under her belt.

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:51 pm

"I'll show ye when th' time tis right. Let's just say ye dun keep onna those where any turnshae can find it."

Edited by: Uncle Pervy at: 2/28/05 23:46

Uncle Pervy

Is she still lucky/awesome, though?

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:29 pm

Pervy nods. "We'll talk alone, after I get th' rest o' th' lot deal wit'."

JasonAB17

Unread postby JasonAB17 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:32 pm

Jeridan, for his part, was very quiet once again. His canine nostrills were flared a bit as he watched Valentia intently. It was fairly clear than he trusted the random volunteer from the bar about as far as he could have thrown... well, not her. Perhaps as far as he could throw Griff.

And at the same time, he didn't feel like voicing anything yet, to maintain an air of civility. After all, Valentia hadn't exactly done anything yet. He took his time now learning her scent, mentally catalogging it for future use.

Finally, he turned to Pervy.

"All I need is a time and a place to show up at."

Jak Snide

Re: Is she still lucky/awesome, though?

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:37 pm

The mage nodded in agreement with his superior officer.

"Likewise. We departing from Kohlingen?"

FlamingDeth

Yes! By which I mean, I certainly hope so.

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:07 am

Valentia nodded in response to the admiral. There wasn't much else to be done at the moment, but wait, and hope that things turned out for the best.

pd Rydia

here a cabbit, there a cabbit, everywhere a cabbit cabbit

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:21 am

"Well, you can take a wild guess where to find me at when the time comes," Dia said, nodding curtly as she stood up and tucked her chair back under the table she borrowed it from.

"I should go about getting things in order, then. Enjoy the rest of your meals--I'll send Sven out with refills for everyone. That was rum, wasn't it, Miss di Mosca?" The last seemed to be more of a rhetorical question, as a glance seemed to reassure the innkeep of the mug's prior contents.

Off to the back room with Dia!

Shinigori V2

Re: Yes! By which I mean, I certainly hope so.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:51 am

Paige continued to sit where she was, thinking. "...I'll take a look at the ship in a bit, but you'll need to tell me what you want done with it. Though I'd like to talk to you about it, later, if that's okay?"

Uncle Pervy

Let it said I dun take requests.

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:29 am

"Right, right," says the Admiral, presumably to everyone. "Some other things, a'fore I forget about it. Ye'll each be getting three thousand gil just fer goin' an' comin' back. If ye can find a way t' save me girl, I'll make it ten thousand. A good lead'll net ye seven thousand. On top o' anything ye get extra from this tradin' ye got yer minds around."

He looks over toward one of the empty tables. "Speakin' o' which. Ushyu, come out 'ere and say hi t' these folks fer a bit. Then ye can go back t' skulkin'."

"Mreeoow..." comes a voice from under the shadows of the booth, before a cream furred-cabbit scurries out. She squints a bit, perhaps adjusting to the change of lighting. Then her shape waves a bit, before shifting from that of a small hybrid animal to that of what seems to be a five-year old little girl of typical Doman descent; a crossbreed of several distinct species. She seems to be a cross between an elf and a nekojin, with fur the color of coffee with too much cream added, and bushy hair that seems almost as long as she is. She trundles over to the table, climbing into the Admiral's lap.

Regarding the group thoughtfully for a moment, she says "Myau!" with a pleased grin.

"Says it's good 't see ye," Pervy adds.

JasonAB17

Unread postby JasonAB17 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:36 am

A year ago, this sort of thing might have disturbed or surprised Jeridan. A little cat-rabbit had just turned into a little girl, and 'meowed' at them all.

Now, he just seemed to brighten up a bit, smiling at Ushyu. "Hello."

It wasn't much, but he expected a chorus of about the same to follow him.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:07 pm

Kelne simply said "Morning Ushyu," and left it at that. He'd never be accused of being good with children of any kind, and tended to limit his dealings with them.

The pay seemed adequate enough, and despite the distance of the voyage, he didn't anticipate any major difficulties.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:34 pm

Merely extending a friendly wave to the cabbit, Valentia finished the last of her drink. Today was looking very bright indeed...

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=flamingdeth>FlamingDeth</A] at: 3/1/05 21:45

PreviousNext

Return to Gaera Main RPs