Voyage to the Ice Continent

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Shiney should use discretion when responding..!

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:08 pm

Loake wandered over to the captain, hearing the shouting. Looking out in the same direction as the other man, he rubbed his chin. "I'll head out and see what's up with them. Never know what's up with random ships these days."

He began walking off, and unless stopped, he'd spread his wings and take to the air, heading for the direction of the other ship, staying high.


User avatar
Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin
 
Posts: 1723
Joined: Fri May 03, 2002 11:41 pm
Location: Osaka, Japan

Re: Shiney should use discretion when responding..!

Unread postby Molokidan » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:27 am

"Quiet, eh...?" Molokidan muttered. "Well, whatever floats your boat!"

He took no more than one step before he saw Loake soar into the air. The kid stopped in his tracks immediately, gaping in wonder. "HOLY CRAP!!" he screamed. "THAT'S SO COOL!!!"


FlamingDeth
Moderator
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:54 am

Re: Shiney should use discretion when responding..!

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:30 am

"Good luck scouting that ship." said an unenthusiastic Yan Yan, giving a mere glance in Loake's direction. "Though don't act surprised when they begin shooting cannons at you."


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Shiney should use discretion when responding..!

Unread postby Kelne » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:02 am

Loake caught a parting comment of, "Much appreciated. Be careful out there," from the captain. Then he was airborne, steadily gaining altitude as he winged his way towards the ship. It took him some ten minutes to close the distance, and even maintaining a prudent gap, it wasn't difficult to tell they were up to no good.

For starters, there were far more people on deck than you needed to crew a vessel that size. Secondly, and this was the clincher, they all seemed to be hefting some kind or other of malevolent ironmongery. They didn't appear to be shouting 'Yarr', but it was probably only a matter of time.

A more detailed survey didn't look too promising. The ship looked quicker and more agile than theirs, if smaller, and packed a broadside of four cannon, matching their own. If it caught them, they'd have quite a fight on their hands.


FlamingDeth
Moderator
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:54 am

*changes the subject line*

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:15 am

After Loake had gotten well out of earshot, Yan Yan turned to the captain.

"If it does turn out that they're up to no good..." began the masked magician. "...what would you like the rest of us landlubbers to do?"


User avatar
Deeum
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 4:25 am

Re: *changes the subject line*

Unread postby Deeum » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:46 am

Oh, shit.

Oh, shit. Oh, shit!

Loake quickly turned around and headed back to the ship, and landed as soon as possible. "Get people ready for combat as soon as possible. Give me some oil, and I'll drop bombs on them while everyone else gets ready to fire!"

He began scrambling to make sure everyone heard him- Probably reliving his days as an air pirate. "That is, unless, you all like being plundered!"


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: *changes the subject line*

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:53 am

(OOC: What's the call, GM? Is the yelling and stuff loud enough to break Ake's meditation?)


Divinegon2130
 

Re: *changes the subject line*

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:36 pm

For those last two days Devast had been on the deck almost all of the time. But he'd been in the cabin most of the day today.

At about this time, he had just gone up to the deck. He definitely looked like he had not been awake for long. There was certainly a look of puzzlement on his face, as if he had no clue what was going on at all.


User avatar
Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin
 
Posts: 1723
Joined: Fri May 03, 2002 11:41 pm
Location: Osaka, Japan

Re: *changes the subject line*

Unread postby Molokidan » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:41 pm

Molokidan blinked, pretty unsure what to do as he watched Loake scramble around the ship, educating the sailors on their current plight.

He unsheathed his katanas, and looked to the captain. "Should we wait for them here, or do you want us to run and attack first? I'll listen to your directions, cap'n!"


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: *changes the subject line*

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:02 pm

News spread quickly, resulting in easily enough commotion to interrupt Ake's meditation. Even without orders, the crew was smoothly running out the cannons, getting buckets of water ready to combat fires, and otherwise preparing for a fight.

"Ideally, we want to convince them we're more trouble than we're worth," the captain said, "That or find a way to slow them down enough that we can get away. If it comes down to a straight fight, we're going to take casualties, and nobody wants that."

He turned to a crew member, "Davis, find Mr Loake what he needs out of stores." The crewman nodded and scurried off, "I want you to take care," he continued, "If you get yourself hit by an arrow out there, there'll be nothing we can do to help you."

"If anyone else has some bright ideas, now's the time," he said, "I've got a few tricks up my sleeve, but they'll have to be closer before I can use them."

The pirate ship was looking closer, but it would be a while yet before they closed to within firing range.


User avatar
Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin
 
Posts: 1723
Joined: Fri May 03, 2002 11:41 pm
Location: Osaka, Japan

Re: *changes the subject line*

Unread postby Molokidan » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:33 pm

"Maybe we could bribe them with food!" Molokidan offered up.


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: *changes the subject line*

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:24 am

"Shut up, Molokidan," Ake said vaguely, trying to reorient himself after being pushed forcefully out of meditation. He turned to the captain. "Pirates? We have to fight pirates?"


FlamingDeth
Moderator
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:54 am

Light up the sky!

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:37 pm

This...thought Yan Yan, glancing casually at how tightly packed the deck of the ship was....is NOT the ideal place for me to get into a fight. I'd do just as much to the crew as I would to the enemy.

Not that she showed it outwardly. "There's not much I can do at this range, either. Would it be possible to give bombs to both of the flying pests here? Maybe they can take out the sails before the pirates get too close."


Divinegon2130
 

Re: Light up the sky!

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:54 pm

"Bombs?" Devast said, his confusion still clear. After a moment of watching the crew, it became much more clear to him what Yan Yan had been talking about.

He turned to her and said, "Wait a minute. You want me to drop bombs on them? What do you expect me to do, carry the bombs with my feet?"


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: *changes the subject line*

Unread postby Kelne » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:42 pm

Davis returned in fairly short order, bearing with him several flasks of oil, lengths of rag, and a couple of strikers. The bundle was presented to Loake in a small canvas bag.

"Try to knock out the sails or steerage if you can," the captain said, "either should be enough to stop them."

He turned back to gaguing the progress of the pirate ship, "If that doesn't work, I'd say we've got another half hour before the fireworks start. Be ready."


User avatar
Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin
 
Posts: 1723
Joined: Fri May 03, 2002 11:41 pm
Location: Osaka, Japan

Re: *changes the subject line*

Unread postby Molokidan » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:51 pm

"Hooray!" Molokidan shouted, hopping around Devast. "Good luck, please win so that we don't have to do anything, okay?'


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

The dice are with Loake today...

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:31 am

Loake's trip back to the pirate ship was shorter this time. They were definitely gaining, and it would only be a matter of time before they caught up if he couldn't pull this off. With that in mind, he started his first attack run.

It took the pirates a little while to work out what he was doing. In fact, it wasn't until he released the first pair of flasks and began to pull out of his dive that they really twigged.

Pirates scattered as the flasks struck the deck and shattered, spreading flaming oil in all directions. Then some bright soul had the idea of pouring water on the flames. They wound up frantically beating at their leg as the burning oil spread further.

Confusion reigned.

Yet for all that, Loake knew that he hadn't accomplished anything by hitting the deck. Eventually the fire would be extinguished, and the pirates would be angrier than ever.

Even as Loake gained the altitude he'd need for another run, a loud voice could be heard bellowing orders. Among those was a shout for archers.

He'd have to try again, but from a higher altitude this time. No sense in getting skewered.

As he began his second run, he could see some order emerging out of the chaos. Most of the crew were at work beating out the fires, whilst others were nocking arrows to bowstrings. A couple were climbing the rigging, perhaps in an effort to get shots from the crows' nest.

Arrows rose to meet him as he dropped, falling well short. The cooler heads among them were holding their shots until he got closer, but it wouldn't do them any good. This time, the bombs were right on target, one striking a sail and rolling downwards, trailing flame. The other shattered against a spar, setting the sail well and truly alight.

Howls of rage pursued Loake as he flew away, along with words the pirates' mothers would be shocked to learn they knew. There were also a couple of cracks as those who'd managed to acquire firearms took potshots. Thankfully, it didn't seem like there was a decent marksman among them, as the bullets flew wide.

More frantic activity was now taking place. Lines were slashed, bringing the sails down. There would be no saving those which had caught, but they'd get them out at least.

By the time Loake arrived back aboard Starling, the gap between the ships had widened considerably. He was treated to a rousing cheer as he landed.


User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: The dice are with Loake today...

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:57 am

Loake landed, taking in the cheers as he had with his crew during the war- He liked this life. Doing that kind of stuff that lead to people giving you reactions like that. He was a hero now, and he didn't want it any other way. He looked to his masked adversary and smirked- "Let's see you do something that saves our asses like that, lady."


User avatar
Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin
 
Posts: 1723
Joined: Fri May 03, 2002 11:41 pm
Location: Osaka, Japan

Re: The dice are with Loake today...

Unread postby Molokidan » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:08 am

"Wow...." Molokidan said, between gasps of awe at Loake's preciseness. "That guy's awesome..."

He simply watched the man was he landed back on the ship, smirking and making a challenging comment to his rival. Sheesh, Molo thought to himself. so these are the kind of people who I'm teaming up with on this mission, huh?

He gulped, eyeing the rest of his partners. I hope someone does something stupid soon so that I don't feel so out of place


Divinegon2130
 

Re: The dice are with Loake today...

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:37 am

Devast gave a look to Yan Yan, and then to Loake. Then he looked at Yan Yan again.

"See?" Devast told her. "If I were to try and do that, odds are I'd either drop them before I reached their ship or miss the sails."

He paused a moment and added, "Besides, do you realize just how much of a pain it would have been for me to carry the bombs?"


FlamingDeth
Moderator
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:54 am

May the Dice be with you, always.

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:30 pm

Ignoring Devast completely, Yan Yan obvserved Loake's landing.

"And see you shall, in due time." she smirked. "I was, after all, not hired for my usefulness in the instance of pirate attack."


User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: May the Dice be with you, always.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:06 pm

Loake paused, turning to Yan Yan and tapping his chin. "Why, exactly, where you hired?"


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: May the Dice be with you, always.

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:06 pm

"To be mysterious and wear a mask a lot," Ake said, smiling at Yan Yan.


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Boasting leads to irritation. Irritation leads to sarcasm...

Unread postby Kelne » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:41 am

The captain, for his part, wasn't joining in the general celebration, but was studying the pirates through his telescope. Finally, he snapped it shut with a nod.

"Looks like we've seen the last of them," he said, "Even if they do take up the chase again, a couple of course changes during the night will throw them well off."

The initial excitement over, the majority of the crew went back to work.

"Well, that seems to be it for the excitement," Oswald said, joining the group, "Shouldn't run into any more pirates once we're out of the main trade routes."


FlamingDeth
Moderator
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:54 am

Clever statement!

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:11 am

"That's a very good question!" Yan Yan said to Loake. She glanced at the newcomer, then returned her attention to her adversary. "Let's see how long it takes you to figure it out. Hopefully you can do it before we reach our destination, though I doubt it."


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Boasting leads to irritation. Irritation leads to sarcas

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:36 pm

Oswald sighed. "You two are going to have to get along better if you're going to spend any amount of time out on the ice together," he said. It didn't seem like he was going to interfere further, preferring to let them sort out their own differences. After all, there was still quite a bit of time remaining for the pair to do so before they reached Hastel.


FlamingDeth
Moderator
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:54 am

Funk soul brotha'.

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:33 pm

As far as Yan Yan was concerned, they were getting along fine. After all, it was a decently long boat trip, and Loake was turning out to be her primary form of entertainment.

For the moment, though, she merely smirked and went below decks, not that anyone else would be able to tell through the mask.


User avatar
Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin
 
Posts: 1723
Joined: Fri May 03, 2002 11:41 pm
Location: Osaka, Japan

Re: Funk soul brotha'.

Unread postby Molokidan » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:17 pm

Molokidan watched as Yan Yan dissapeared into the darkness, confused as to why she would want to leave right in the midst of all the excitement.

"Sheesh," he said, elbowing Ake and smiling cheekily, "guess she's pretty anti-social, eh?"


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Your lack of prodding disturbs me.

Unread postby Kelne » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:53 am

The encounter with the pirates constituted the only break in routine for quite some time. Once out on the open ocean, one day tended to blend into another. Although the weather grew steadily colder as they progressed north.

Still, the trip wasn't entirely without interest. Various sea creatures could be seen from the deck from time to time. For those with the inclination, there were various games of chance, and old hands could generally be relied upon to tell tall tales to new audiences.

Rumour and hearsay were sports in and of themselves. Nervous 'Arry, for instance, was supposed to have ticked off the Baronian royal family, the Dread Pirate Flatbeard, General Silvar, a good portion of the Fifth Circle of Hell, the Secret Rulers of Valth, the Black Soul Knights, or the High Priest of Numian, depending on who you asked. 'Arry had a tendency to twitch, and didn't leave the ship much. Apparently, there was a long-running pool on just who would eventually turn up to demand he be delivered in chains.

Then there was the storm. It blew them off course for two days in the second week of the voyage, and anyone not directly involved in the running of the ship was stuck below decks. Thankfully, no major damage was sustained, and Starling was soon back on course. It was generally agreed that this was the sort of excitement people could do without.

Despite the pronouncements of Old Matt on the Horrors of the Briny Deeps, no giant turtles, squid, sea serpents, kraken or the like emerged to threaten the ship. Matt was philosophical about this, saying that if they were seen on every trip, pretty soon there'd be no ships left to sail the seas.

Early in the third week, the first iceberg was sighted. It was given a suitably wide berth.

Midway through the fourth week of the voyage, Oswald announced a meeting in the captain's cabin for the members of the expedition. The days had grown long and cold, and rumour had it they'd sight the coast of Hastel any day now. The meeting was scheduled for after the evening meal.


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Your lack of prodding disturbs me.

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:17 pm

Ake was the first to arrive, and knocked on the door to the cabin loudly. "Mr. Jaskin? You wanted to see us?"


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Your lack of prodding disturbs me.

Unread postby Kelne » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:37 pm

"Ah, Ake," Jaskin said cheerfully, opening the door, "Come in. Just wanting to go over the route and our plans." Within the cabin, several seats had been set up around a large rectangular table. One of them was occupied by captain Casper, who was idly perusing a map spread out atop the table. This must be the mysterious map of Hastel which had prompted the expedition in the first place.


User avatar
Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin
 
Posts: 1723
Joined: Fri May 03, 2002 11:41 pm
Location: Osaka, Japan

Re: Your lack of prodding disturbs me.

Unread postby Molokidan » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:46 pm

Molokidan arrived soon after Ake, a large brown wool cloak wrapped around himself. His blue eyes stared out from beneath his hair and the muzzle of his coat, and he began pounding his head lightly on the door, not daring to take a hand out from beneath his coat.

So...cold!!!


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Your lack of prodding disturbs me.

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:27 am

Ake lifted an eyebrow. "That...doesn't sound like someone knocking like a normal person. Molokidan, do you think?"

He reached for the door and opened it. Sure enough! "Little cold, there?"


User avatar
Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin
 
Posts: 1723
Joined: Fri May 03, 2002 11:41 pm
Location: Osaka, Japan

Re: Your lack of prodding disturbs me.

Unread postby Molokidan » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:43 am

"It's free-ezing!!" Molokidan chattered, paddling his way into the room and hopping onto one of the chairs. "But...at least we're here, right?! When are we going to disembark?"


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Your lack of prodding disturbs me.

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:01 pm

"It'll be another few days yet, lad," Casper said, shaking his head in wry amusement, "We'll get there though, don't you worry."


User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Your lack of prodding disturbs me.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:29 pm

Loake cruised in when he thought he was suitably 'Fasionably late'. Weither he was truely late at all was up for debate, however. Still decked as he was before, one would wonder how he was keeping away the cold, expecially with draconic extremeties.

"You wanted to see us, chief?"


Divinegon2130
 

Re: Your lack of prodding disturbs me.

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:10 pm

Devast was one of the last ones to the meeting. If anyone were late, it was probably him. He was now wearing a large, gray jacket and pants, but the odd thing was that if anyone had paid notice to his arms before, the jacket shared the same structure, as if it were meant not to impede a strange body shape.

He took a seat, and on his way there he muttered, Coldest I've ever felt... Once he had his seat, though, he looked to the captain and said, "So what's this about?"


FlamingDeth
Moderator
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:54 am

:(

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:19 pm

Showing up not long after Devast, Yan Yan was wearing robes that were quite simple, relative to what she had been wearing before. They didn't appear particularly heavy, and sported half-length sleeves. It looked like it should have been quite cold. Through the breathing holes in the nostrils of her mask, the others could see the misting of her breath. It was slightly strange, her breath became visible two days before anyone else's...

"Wonderful!" she stated, entering the room. "Everyone is already here."

The ice mage took a seat, apparently either oblivious or apathetic to the fact that she was somewhat late.


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Sorry for the delay. Have a visual reference.

Unread postby Kelne » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:01 pm

Marya entered on Yan Yan's heels, closing the door behind her and helping herself to a seat.

"Welcome, everyone," Oswald said, standing to address the group, "In a couple of days, we'll be arriving at our destination. I thought I'd take the time to outline our route now and address any questions you might have. We'll be landing here," he continued, placing a finger at a spot on the coast, "From there, I'd like to take a look at what's probably a stone circle of some kind," he traced the finger westwards, "And from there follow the mountains north to the ruins. It shouldn't take us longer than a couple weeks there and a couple back, allowing for a few delays."

Image

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kelne>Kelne</A]&nbsp; Image at: 4/16/05 21:04

User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Sorry for the delay. Have a visual reference.

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:58 pm

Ake examined the map. "I see." He placed his finger on one of the symbols on the map. "What's this?" he asked. The symbol looked almost like a pot boiling. There were two, one west of the ruins and one they'd apparently pass while going around the mountains.


PreviousNext

Return to Gaera Main RPs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Yalogank