Carved in Stone (full Philsys RP)

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
Idran1701
None some call is air am

Re: I was going to do this, I just forgot. Seriously.

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:33 am

"Ah, thank you."

Idran nods to the shopkeeper, while packing the potions and gold into his satchel and belt pouch. Following his packing, he turns and leaves, returning to the courtyard to await his group's departure.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:23 am

Jaeko found the potions store easily enough, passing Idran on his way. Back at the courtyard, activity continued, though it looked like a new wagon was now being loaded.

Jarl and Andre, it seemed, had been content to go without an advance. Perhaps they had been shopping for supplies earlier. In any case, they were leaning quietly against a wall, watching the proceedings.

Seeing Idran, Jarl beckoned him over to join them.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:28 am

Idran notices Jarl, and walks over to meet him. He holds out his hand in greeting upon reaching him.

"Ah, hello. Jarl, I believe it was? Did you want something of me?"

Divinegon2130

Also forgot this part here.

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:21 pm

Silvanus took his letter as well and started looking for the potion shop as well. He had taken a moment to think about this mission, and only now realized how hard this was going to be.

Not long after, though, Fabelia started to bother him again.

Have we been accepted yet, dammit?
Yes, yes we have Fabelia. Just relax already.
No.
We don't do this if you don't stay calm.
*sigh* FINE.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:59 pm

"Just figured you might like some company," Jarl said, "The rest are kinda preoccupied at the moment and all." It was true enough. The activity continued apace.

Silvanus, as with Jaeko, found the potions store without difficulty. Within, the case of samples was still out, not having been put away.

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:13 am

Jaeko looked at the displays and quickly decided what he wanted-

"Give me...One of the better healing potions, and three of the minor ones."

Slipping the note onto the counter, he waiting for his order to be filled....

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:33 am

The elf nodded, handing over the potions along with another letter of credit for 140 gil. It seemed there was quite a little network of these in place.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:39 am

Jaeko shrugged and headed out, not thinking much of it. He thought quickly about other supplies he might need- Ammunition. After all, what good is a gun without ammo? He only hoped he had enough to get what he'd need, and began searching for any shop that may carry ammunition for his pistols, or better yet, his shotguns.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:14 pm

"Ah, well, thank you. Yes, it does seem somewhat busy around here. Hmm...Well, anyway, you wouldn't happen to have any advice for me, would you? This is my first job as any type of mercenary, but you seem to be quite a bit experienced with this line of work. Normally, when I need money, I just do odd jobs around Kohlingen, but I was heading back anyway and I saw that notice in the Inn where I was staying."

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=idran1701>Idran1701</A] at: 8/19/03 12:15 pm

Divinegon2130

Here goes.

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:35 pm

Putting the note onto the counter, Silvanus glanced back for a split second before looking forward again.

"Hmmm.... Two of the better healing potions and one of the lesser ones."

Yeah, who needs the mana potions anyway?
Shut up, Fabelia.
No.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:14 pm

Assassin had dawdled in returning, but finally reached Marcus with somewhat slower of a speed then the others had achieved.

"Excuse me? I'll take however much money you have in advance for me.. I would appreciate the ability to utilize the funds on.. supplies for myself."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:57 pm

Petty waited behind Assassin, having decided that, since the others had wandered off, now would be a good time to get an advance and hit the nearest tavern.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:42 am

"Well," said Jarl, "the best advice I can give is not to do anything reckless. The person who goes charging out waving a sword is always the first person to get shot. Just stick with the group and do your part, and everything will be fine."

Andre nodded in agreement. It seemed he was the quiet type.

-----------

Silvanus received his potions in short order, the letter disappearing under the desk. "Siolen's hiring today, is she?" the elf asked, having detected a pattern.

-----------

"The upper limit's around 700," Marcus said, filling in a letter for that amount for Assassin. "A third of your pay, in other words."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:25 pm

"Hmm. Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to keep it in mind. Although I'd like to think of myself as fairly cautious in the first place, it's still good to know."

Looking around, and seeing everyone else is still preparing to disembark, Idran decides to attempt some small talk with the two mercenaries...well, one of the two, most likely.

"So, how'd you two get into this line of work?"

Endesu
ラムレッダ

A reply, lined with monies.

Unread postby Endesu » Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:57 pm

Assassin nodded and held his hand out for the letter, silently taking back into mind the locations of a cookwares store and a potions store, somewhere in Doma.

He would make his rounds at those places, and return soon after to prepare for the trip. Hopefully, the rest of this exchange would settle out satisfactorily as well..

Jak Snide

Re: A reply, lined with monies.

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:59 pm

Seeing that the man in front of him was done, Petty stepped up to Marcus.

"I'll be needing and advance t'please."

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:42 am

"Well, I didn't want to spend my life on the family farm, and for most of the jobs worth doing you need money or an education." Jarl shrugged, conveying that he'd had neither. "I'm a fair hand with an axe. Learnt it from my uncle, who used to be in the Guard. So I figured merc work'd be a good way to see the world and make some money."

"Family troubles in my case," Andre said, and didn't elaborate. Getting information from him was going to be like getting treasure from a dragon's hoard, it seemed.

------------

"Here you are then," Marcus said, handing Petty a letter of credit for 700 gil.

------------

Assassin, meanwhile, had found the cookwares store first. It was a model of precision, all pots and pans racked neatly according to some strange order which seemed to have nothing to do with size. Presumably it made sense to the owner, a short man lurking behind the counter.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:05 am

Petty looked at the letter, then nodded in thanks, accompanied by a "T'ank you" before walking off to find the nearest tavern, although he was unsure if they'd accept the letter of credit.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:15 pm

"Hmm. Yes, I saw your work during the test earlier, and you both seem to be well skilled for this profession. How long have you two been travelling together? Or have I misinterpreted things?"

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:16 am

"Been together a couple years now," Jarl said, "Through good times and bad. It's got so I can't even imagine doing this alone anymore."

----------

Petty's quest for a tavern bore fruit within fairly short order. Fancy neighbourhood or not, there was always somewhere to get a drink. In this case, a cozy little tavern down a side street. The place was pretty much deserted at this time of day, aside from the bartender, who seemed to be going over the accounts at his spot behind the bar.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:49 am

"Bit quiet, but it'll do. Drink's a drink, as they say."

Walking towards the barman, the archer addressed him.

"Hey t'ere!" he began in a friendly tone. "You accept t'ese t'ings?" he asked, holding up the letter.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Cookwares!

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:25 pm

Assassin looked over the current arrangement, allowing for an unseen quirk of the eye as he inspected a few random pots and pans.. before heading to the front of the cookwares store.

Watching not to bust his head on any hanging dangers, Assassin leaned downards in order to better see the merchant eye-to-eye.

"I have 700 gil, roughly half of which I would like to spend. I am interested in stir fry and basic boiling supplanted by flame. What can you show me?"

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:55 pm

The bartender gave the note a cursory glance. "'Fraid not, pal. Matter of fact, this is the reason Ceris doesn't give people cash advances. Had some bad exeriences with mercs going out and getting drunk on them."

---------

"Got some nice woks over here in various sizes, and some saucepans," the storekeepr said, gesturing to a couple of spots along the wall. Although the sizes weren't all in order, the implements were grouped roughly by type. 350'll get you a pretty good selection, really. Three sizes of each, plus I'll throw in something extra."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:13 pm

"Stupid employers, being so damn smart...."

"Well, I've got a bit of coin on me. How much is an ale?"

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:42 am

Assassin hmmed over his choices. There was a nice selection here, after all. Perhaps if he focused on stir fry alone.. he could pick a better selection for that? Halfway on a pot and a set? Choices..

He would take some time to decide. Surely the group would not mind, though he suspected some were not spending their advance quite so honestly, so to speak..

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:16 am

"Two gil," the bartender said, drawing a mug of ale for Petty, "Got long before you head out?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:26 am

"Couple of hours a' most." he replied, handing the man the a pair of coins.

"Why're you asking?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:37 am

By now, Jaeko had given up on finding any store with ammo suitable for his guns, deciding instead to simply head back to the place of departure to finish recovering from the Divine Nightmare Blast that had drained both his energy and his pay earlier.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:56 am

"Just making conversation really," the man said, passing Petty his ale in return. "It's quiet this time of day, as you can see."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:57 am

The archer nodded, taking the first swig of his drink.

"Why's t'at?"

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:26 am

And so Assassin pondered his choices. To think that there were phillistines in this world who considered less than five woks sufficient for their range of culinary preparations... Still, his funds seemed limited to enough to purchase six items. Unless of course he wanted to use the full sum at his disposal.

---------

Jaeko found his way back easily enough, seeing that activity continued about the wagons. Three of his fellow mercenaries seemed to be engaged in conversation. Well, two of them, anyway.

---------

The barman shrugged, "Well, those who aren't working are generally sleeping in. Business won't pick up until people start drifting in for lunch. Come evening though, there'll be too many for me to handle on my own."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:17 am

He nodded, the fact that he was drinking before lunch slowly sinking in.

He took another swig, and kept talking.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:12 am

Jaeko simply took a look around the courtyard, and walked over to inspect his handiwork on the wall, hoping to figure out how to better control the size of the blasts from his Divine Nightmare.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:27 pm

Noticing Jaeko return, Idran gives him a brief nod, and turns back to Jarl.

"Well, this standing around and waiting is starting to get to me. I'm going to see if I can't give those workers a hand, and speed things up a little."

Idran does so, heading over to the people loading up the wagons.

"Hey, could any of you use some help getting this done?"

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:59 am

As time passed, those who were still absent drifted in from various directions. Assassin had picked up a full set of stir fry gear, along with some potions, while Petty had spent a quiet morning at the bar.

Everyone made it back in plenty of time for the caravan's departure. Four wagons in all, each carried a good load, and had space for five people.

With the loads settled, with some help from Idran, various people found places on the different wagons. By the time the regulars, so to speak, had taken their places, there were a couple of spots left on each wagon.

The spots in the front wagon seemed to be the subject of a heated discussion between Siolen and her husband. "Look," the man was saying, "I'm coming with you and that's that. I can't just sit here and worry about you."

"I can look after myself. And I'll do much better if you're not there to distract me."

"I'm not completely helpless, you know. I can use a crossbow as well as anyone."

It seemed the others would have plenty of time to find a spot on a wagon before the argument resolved itself.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:13 am

Petty simply picked the nearest caravan and sat himself down on it. While you couldn't say he was drunk, the morning mug of ale had made the archer throw planning and caution into the wind, with no thought being given to where he should sit to avoid being shot at easily by any bandits they may happen upon.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:43 am

Having completed his part of loading the wagon, Idran looks around. He heads for the first empty spot on the caravan he finds, pulling himself into the wagon. He notes the argument, but doesn't do much more, not wanting to get involved in the spat between the couple.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:03 am

Jaeko quickly took a seat near Petty, deciding he had better keep an eye on his fellow ranged-weapons user...Besides, the safest place to be around a drunk archer is behind them.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:52 pm

Assassin returned, satisfied with his purchases, and did his best job of being discreet around the arguing couple in order to enter the wagon.

He found a seat slightly parallel to the rest of the 'party' there and went into a bowlegged position in order to maximize his 'sitting power'.

It was at this time that he began to manually inspect his stir fry set for the 3rd time..

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Timelapse

Unread postby Kelne » Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:32 am

The argument eventually resolved itself, not to Siolen's satisfaction apparently, with her husband taking up a place beside her in the lead wagon. As soon as everyone had gotten themselves settled, the caravan set out. Negotiating the traffic of the streets proved easy enough, and they were met at the city gates by a fifth wagon, belonging to a merchant who had felt it wise to seek safety in numbers.

Despite their proximity to Doma City, the merchants were keeping a good eye out for trouble for the first day. Those who asked about this were informed that caravans had been hit pretty close to the city, though not within sight of the walls. As to the identity of the attackers, little was known. They were human, and well-equipped, but there were no identifying marks, nor had any of the survivors recognised an attacker.

The first night was spent on a low hill, with the majority of the people gathered about the fires while others kept a watch. By the second day, the caravan had fallen into a routine. Jarl and a dour man by the name of Parril scouted ahead on chocoboback, while Silvanus watched the ground ahead from the air. Although they checked in at regular intervals, there was little to report save the occasional traveller.

Early afternoon on the third day saw the caravan passing between a pair of low hills. Having declared these safe, the scouts had moved on to the next potential trouble spot, a ravine at which a caravan had been ambushed the previous week. So far, the trip had been easy money, though the merchants weren't counting their chickens just yet.

It was Idran, in the third wagon, who got the first hint of warning, as a pair of Gateways flared into existence on either hill. Though the gates themselves were obscured by trees, they were like beacons to someone so attuned to them. And it was a virtual certainty that whoever had opened them meant no good.

(OOC: Party layout is as follows: Siolen and her husband are in the first wagon, Jaeko and Petty in the second, Idran in the third, and Assassin and Andre in the fifth. The other spots are filled by generic NPCs. Silvanus is ahead scouting with Jarl and Parril, and may return to deliver a report whenever Div gets back.)

PreviousNext

Return to Gaera Main RPs