The Baron Breakdown: Den of Thieves.

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
The Great Nevareh

Are you? Are you, really?

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:19 am

"Welp, I dunno about you two, but I suddenly feel like a party. Who wants to head to my flat? Plenty of "sauce" there. Any objections?"

Nevareh chuckles to herself, then stands up, adjusts her disguise, and yawns slightly.

"And make it quick, will you two? The day may be young, but it's getting older every minuted."

FlamingDeth

Re: Are you? Are you, really?

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:42 pm

"Haha!" said Mae, raising her bottle to the proposition. "I was waiting for you to bring that up! Excellent idea."

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:28 pm

<span style="color:blue;">"... and we're waiting for what?" Dae hopped out of his seat.

"Let's go. Which way? I'll go on ahead of you! Let's just get rollin'!"

Yes. He does seem too energetic, doesn't he?</span>

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:12 am

Nezetta sighed. She hated it when she had moral dellemas like this. She silently walked back t'wards Mariah, and bowed slightly. "As I said, please forgive my brashness. I simply wanted to replay the gentleman for assisting me. Shall we return?"

She didn't exactly want to return, she thought, though she'd get no privacy out here anyway.

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:34 pm

"Yes mistress! Right away, mistress!"
Mariah seems openly relieved- and then follows Nezetta wherever it is she decides to go.

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:37 pm

"You're right, what ARE we waiting for? Let's go!"
And so Nevareh leads her party back to her place, which is a bit closer to the upscale part of the slums. It's well-decorated (for a slum flat) and it is definitely well-stocked.
Definitely well-stoked.

END OF PROLOGUE: DEN OF THIEVES.

The Great Nevareh

The Baron Breakdown, Chapter One: A Call to Arms.

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:52 pm

CHAPTER ONE: A CALL TO ARMS.

Day 1:
The next day,the sun slowly creeps up over the city of Baron. The light slowly strikes the still-damaged spires of Castle Baron, and then it gently pours over the remainder of the town, signaling the beginning of another day...

The summer heat pours into the various buildings of the town, expelling the cool of the night and slowly but surely bringing wakefulness with it. The early risers, those who awaken because they much in the morning, and even those who sleep until mid-afternoon are feeling the urge to awaken this morning.

-------------------------
Nevareh yawns and gets out of her bed... couch? Wait, no, she seems to have been sleeping on a table. She scratches her head and is suddenly and swiftly reminded of what she had been doing last night as a hangover makes itself known. Through her narrowed eyes, she begins to pick up around her apartment, the various bottles and containers making their way into her hands as she idly wonders how many people she had over. Checking around for vomit, she finds none, and she also doesn't see anyone in particular in her living area.

After disposing of her refuse, she walks over to her stove, still amidst the fog of hangover, and begins to heat up a skillet. Still, what she had been doing earlier eludes her. Somehow she lost her pants... wait, there they are, on the chair. After heating up the skillet appropriately, she begins to brew some coffee using some of her remaining grounds and some water from her cistern. She then puts some butter in the skillet, which starts to sizzle loudly, and cracks open some eggs. What was she doing yesterday?

-------------------------------
Mariah has been up all night.

Not necessarily because she's had insomnia- she actually hasn't even tried to sleep. She's been standing guard at the King's chamber door. She is quite fearsome to look at, being one of the few Barians that prefers to eschew armored clothing for open armor. The fact that she's been awake all night hasn't appeared to weigh upon her all that much- She yawns, now and then, but otherwise nothing about her countenance shows that she has not had rest. She is, however, much like most other Barians, still getting used to the sun's constant presence.

----------------------------
Noah is currently at Carim Schwartzturm's front door, waiting for his boss to awaken. He looks rather like either a stalker or a member of secret police, except for the fact that he's not doing anything aside from stand there and wait for his superior to awaken so he may begin accompanying Carim on his day. Thus far, he's been there for 30 minutes.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Re: The Baron Breakdown, Chapter One: A Call to Arms.

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:58 pm

<span style="color:blue;">Dae woke, groggy. It appeared to still be dark, even if his eyes weren't that open. He started to sit up, and then BAM.

It appeared last night, instead of sleeping on the bed, he slept under it.

So that's why my feet are cold, he thought to himself. He dragged himself out from underneath the bed, past the gin bottles and wineskins, to emerge and realize he was in his boxers.

"... please tell me I scored last night," he achingly declared...</span>

GC130A

Re: The Baron Breakdown, Chapter One: A Call to Arms

Unread postby GC130A » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:33 pm

Winnie wasn't what you'd call an early riser. In fact, if he had his way, he usually slept until noon, or occasionally seven or eight in the evening. He quite vigorously maintained that twenty hours of sleep per day were good for a man, especially of his demeanor and age. This morning was no exception, as it found him fast asleep, totally covered by his blankets. Or so it would have looked to the casual observer; the more careful or more persistant person would notice the elaborate arrangement of spare pillows that passed for Winfred Whybrew.

As for the version of him that wasn't filled with feathers, he was busy in the marketplace. However, those who knew him wouldn't recognize him; in place of his plain apprentice's robes, he had the fancy flourish of his master's best robe, cloak and hat. Red, black and green, with gold trim, very stylish. A little illusion work had made his face look older, more refined, more fitting of the clothes he wore.

He wasn't buying this time, but selling a rather questionable line of murky red potions labelled "Death-away." From his infrequent explanations of the product, it could be surmised that they promised exactly what the name implied: the inability for one's soul to leave the body (most would call it "death") while the potion was in effect. It had the added bonus of being astrally invisible, so it was ideal for taking past mage-reliant search parties.

What did such cutting-edge potioncraft go for? A mere six thousand zante apiece.

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Re: The Baron Breakdown, Chapter One: A Call to Arms

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:45 am

Carim had been up for an hour, and was fully aware that Noah had been standing outside his front door for the last half of it. However, he was currently eating his breakfast, and Carim had never been able to abide eating a meal while someone else stood by, watching. It was different when they were eating too, of course, but if not... well, it was distracting, and, frankly, an irritation. So, this morning, it was poor young Balbanes' fate to stand outside Carim's front door until his superior had finished his meal and allowed it to settle.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:27 pm

Mae, on the other hand, had been up for some time. She hadn't had quite as much to drink as her comrades, and in addition to that, her drinking ability was near legend (among the less lawfully inclined of the city, at least).

Nevareh's hangover seemed to be a tad worse than previously expected, it seemed, because she failed to immediately notice Mae sitting in the kitchen, reading the backs of various alcohol bottles.

"Mmm, some of this is pretty expensive." said the succubus. "Would have been amusing to see you...erm...aquire it."

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:48 am

"When did you get there?"
Nevareh seems groggy and almost wipes her eyes with the arm which is holding the skillet, then compensates.
"On another note, I probably don't remember how I got half of this stuff anyway. Thinking about it hurts. Eggs?"

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:23 am

As Carim takes the time to finish his breakfast and do his usual morning routine, Noah continues to stand there, staring at the door with intrepid expectation of a new day of fighting crime. He appears perfectly coiffed, completely unruffled, and carrying a small, heat-retaining container from which he periodically takes a sip or two of whatever's inside. He's perfectly decked-out in his uniform, including the easily damaged and stained white gloves which no one in their right mind wears except when they have to. The only things he's really missing to complete the ceremonial outfit are the ornamental sword which is about as useful as a long butter knife in combat, the coat with the tails that went out of fashion about a decade before the uniform was designed, the ceremonial circlet or helmet, depending upon your rank, and of course the glittering sash that you're supposed to tie around your waist but honestly no one knows how to do it right anymore and even then it's entirely arbitrary since it's impossible to wear that and the sword at the same time. So, at least he left off the most silly parts of the dress uniform.

Noah takes another sip from his thermally-sealed container and continues to stand there.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:56 am

Nezetta, taking a break from her early morning reading, wandered past the Kings room twards the kitchen, likely intent on getting a drink or a pre-breakfast snack. Still dressed in her pajamas and only half awake, she looked unusually relaxed. She stopped after passing Mariah, and blinked a couple times, doing a double take. "You should sleep, you know.." She got out, slowly. "You'll get sick if you stay up all night. And Sir Lezone wouldn't like it, either." She stood, as if awaiting either a response, or for Mariah to head off.

The Great Nevareh

Re: The Baron Breakdown: Den of Thieves.

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:44 am

"Yes, mistress. I shall do so presently, though I am uncomfortable leaving my post before my replacement arrives. If inquired about, would you be kind enough to say to Lady Serejevo that you relieved me of my post? I mean no insult."

Mariah still doesn't look very tired, and displays no outward show of emotion, but she is sincerely touched that her mistress would show concern for her.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:52 am

<span style="color:blue;">Dae could only mutter two sylabbles.

"COFF. EE."

He then fell backwards onto the floor, covering his face in pain...

Alcohol bad... sleep good... coffee.... coffee...</span>

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:49 am

"...Yes. Go." Nezetta rubbed some sleep from her eyes, waving her arm as if to indicate that Mariah should be on her way.

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:09 pm

Nevareh's eyebrow twitched as she saw the semi-unidentified man walk out of her bedroom and shout for coffee. However, this is not entirely unexpected, so all she really does is pull out another mug from her cupboard and continue to make the coffee.
After a moment, she recalls the man's name.

"Comin' right up... Daenj'r. Want some eggs?"

She proffers the skillet at the fallen man.

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:11 pm

Mariah proceeds to give a deep bow and walks off towards the series of suites and chambers that have been converted into a barracks for the Barian contingent of guard. It is not long before she disappears around a bend, but it is much longer before the sound of her walking (*shiik-THUMP-shiik-THUMP-Clatter*) becomes inaudible over distance.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:23 pm

<span style="color:blue;">"Can you cook them in coffee?" he groaned.

His mind whimpered. Coffee.... no eggs, no bacon, no toast, no waffles... just coffee... please stop playing these games...</span>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:02 pm

"I don't doubt that I can, but black, crusty, coffee-flavoured eggs probably aren't all that delicious."

Nevareh checks the transparent glass pot that she uses for coffee-making, puts the filtre in place, empties the grounds into said filtre, and pours hot water over the grounds. After emptying the contents of her skillet onto a plate, she starts eating her eggs and intrepidly watching the coffee pour itself into the pot. After stuffing part of an egg, over easy, into her mouth and chewing, she turns to Mae and asks:

"You gonna want some coffee?"

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:05 am

'Dear Gods on high man, you don't do things by halves, do you?'

Carim had finally opened the door, himself looking presentable but decidedly not according to official uniform regulations. Of course, as a member of the Crown Investigators he was exempt from those apart from official occasions anyway. Being confronted by the vision of Noah in all his official-looking glory caused him to reflect on why he was being tested.

'While you're working for me you will consider yourself an honourary Crown Investigator, and you will dress accordingly. It's awfully nice that someone is still making the effort these days, but honestly for my job wearing a uniform is like carrying a sign around that says "Punch me. Kick me. Hell, why not stick a knife into my ribs and have a good twist?" Plain dress. Is that understood, Balbanes?'

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:19 pm

"Yes sir, Detective Schwartzturm!"
Noah snaps a salute, then catches himself with his other hand, lowers his arm. He then proffers the thermos he has holstered at his side.
"Tea, sir? Darjeeling."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:42 pm

Nezetta rolled her eyes, and continued on her way. She half hoped that Mariah would get in trouble for leaving her post, but she WAS dismissed from it...So, Nezetta took the chance to look for a replacement whilst eating her breakfast.

GC130A

Unread postby GC130A » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:58 pm

Business was painfully slow. It wasn't like Win had expected otherwise, but he had only sold one of his wares, and needless to say that wasn't nearly enough. Perhaps it was because his stock was ridiculously overpriced and implausible, or maybe he just needed a new approach.

He had a low opinion of door-to-door salesmen in general, but he had to admit that they had the initiative on their side. There was also the question of getting mugged while carrying money on his person, but it was the middle of the day and there wasn't much to fear. If nothing else, there would be plenty of witnessess.

And so it was that after about twenty minutes of salesing with a potion case slung over one shoulder, he came to knock upon the door of one Nevareh Milligan.

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:12 pm

At the sound of the knock, Nevareh drops her coffee on the floor and covers her ears.
"Ow! Bloody hell! What's that loud noise?... Oh, the door."
After picking her way, lethargically, through her household, over one rather hung-over Daenj'r, around another rather smug Mae, she makes her way to her front door. As she opens it, she is quite a sight.
Picture a beautiful woman. Now take away the order she might have put on her hair after she wakes up, add some dark circles under her eyes that could possibly be used in a few dark rituals, give her one MASSIVE headache, stoop her over, and put her in a loose-fitting blouse and panties.
She shields her eyes from the sunlight streaming in that is quite obviously much too bright, what the hell is the sun thinking being so bright when there are people with headaches who would really prefer to have nice, dark spaces to put their heads in, I mean there could at least be some clouds or something, sheesh, and she looks at Winfred.
"Wh't d'you wnt?"

GC130A

Re: The Baron Breakdown, Chapter One: A Call to Feat.

Unread postby GC130A » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:22 pm

A lesser man might've been surprised, embarassed or slightly awkward. Winfred, on the inside, was all three. However, he saw a tired, touseled and probably hungover person as a business opportunity, however likely to stab him.

"Erm, Maximillian Tostado, humble merchant in potions... who can come back later. Unless you need some painkillers? Look like you could use them."

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:28 pm

<span style="color:blue;">"IS HE SELLING COFFEE?" Daenj'r shouted from the back of the room. "IF HE'S NOT, TELL HIM TO GO THE F@#$ AWAY..."</span>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:03 pm

"Not so loud, bastard! What're you selling?"

GC130A

Unread postby GC130A » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:58 am

Maximillian bowed curteously and adjusted the shoulder strap to his case of potions, pointedly ignoring the irritated male voice from the back.

"Of course, of course. A subtle variety of potions, designed for those who prefer a more artful form of magic coursing through their veins. Among them are healing elixirs which accelerate the body's own natural processes, nostrums that increase the bodily appeal, and my own specialty product, which uses soul manipulation to increase the maximum time between death and revival."

He looked up a moment, thinking of something else, and said, "If you're looking for anything fast-acting, I'm afraid all I have is a panacea to lessen pain and suffering. And also some homebrew hangover cure, and some premium laxatives."

Opening up the potion case revealed a variety of colored potions, none of which were labelled. Winfred continued, "I assure you, madam, my stock is first-rate, and you won't find a better price."

The Great Nevareh

Arms! Arms! A Call to Arms!

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:50 pm

"Soo... you're essentially selling coloured and flavoured water with attractive names like "Death-Away" for exorbitant prices? I'll take the homebrew hangover cure if it actually has a chance of working."

She hasn't changed her composture or her posture while she said this. It's as though she were stating bald-faced fact- something everyone could see. Then, after giving him a cursory once-over with her eyes, she says:
"You from out of town?"

GC130A

Re: What we need here is a great feat of strength.

Unread postby GC130A » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:28 pm

A lesser man might've been surprised, astonished and even alarmed at being seen through so quickly. If this is true, then Winfred was very much a lesser man, as he was all three. His not-so-elaborate act had been, in rough terms, summarily pizzowned. His sense of a fellow tradesman was quite ill-developed at this point in life, and what's more, she had gotten his product name right, despite the fact that she looked to have just awoken from an alcohol-induced stupor.

Trying and failing to maintain a composed countenance, he said with a touch of awe in his voice, "You're either one of the most perceptive people I've met or you're having me tailed. Either way, m'dear, who the hell are you?"

The Great Nevareh

Feat, Arms, damn you all!

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:11 pm

"Why would I be having you tailed if you would end up at my doorstep? Besides, the potion schtick hasn't worked since 1242 thanks to Magiglasses. As to who I am, shouldn't I be asking who you are? I mean, you were, moments ago, trying to sell me crap in a bottle." She turns her head and yells behind her. "Daenj'r, Mae, the coffee ought to be ready! Pour it or someting!" Turning back to the guy on her doorstep "Now, about that hangover remedy. Care to come in for some coffee or something?"

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Re: Feat, Arms, damn you all!

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:43 am

'Er... Yes, alright, thankyou Balbanes.'

Carim just didn't know what to do with this guy. Shaking his head with a bemused expression on his face, he stepped aside.

'Come in, you'll have to borrow one of my shirts.'

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:56 am

<span style="color:blue;">Daenj'r crawled over to the pot of coffee, somehow dragged himself to his feet, and groggily looked around for a mug.

If he found one, he used it. If he didn't, he used whatever there was around. A flower vase, an empty liquor bottle, whatever. And in the case there was nothing around to use, the pot itself would do.

And to hell with cream and sugar...</span>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:31 pm

"Erm, yessir. Thank you, sir."
Noah comes inside with Carim. After trying on a series of shirts (the majority of which look kind of funny on him), it swiftly becomes obvious that you could dress Noah like anything but a policeman and he'd still look like a policeman, just not in the right clothes. After selecting a shirt that was in fashion something like ten years ago and trying it on, Noah appears pleased with what he's found, even though he now looks silly. He also looks somewhat lost as to what to do with his surcoat, since he obviously can't wear it without negating the whole effectiveness of changing his clothes.
-----------------------------------------------
Daenj'r is able to find a mug. The coffee is VERY strong, though.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:52 pm

<span style="color:blue;">Perrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect.

And with the discovery that the coffee's actually GOOD, Dae drank it greedily, in spans that barely saved his tongue from being fried like an egg.

He gave his mug a hug, smiling like a child on Ishmas. "Good coffee... make it all better..."</span>

GC130A

Au contraire. Now that you are here, what we have is...

Unread postby GC130A » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:38 pm

Winfred blinked, recalling all the horror stories of salesmen being asked inside houses and getting mugged, kidnapped, murdered or worse. Then he realized not only were most of them bunk, but he could always dramatically vanish in a pinch. So, he replied, "Max Tostado, I told you. And sure, coffee sounds great."

Remembering the other half of Nevareh's statement, he pulled out of the case a bright orange potion in a large vial, offering it as he walked.

"S'nothing magical, so it's on me if you can actually down the thing."

Should she actually do so, his psychic talents would be working to ease some of the effects of her hangover. Pain relief was one of his specialties, as his old master had come in far, far too many times piss drunk and woken up the worse for it in the morning.

FlamingDeth

People need to bother me to post more.

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:51 pm

"Max Tostado, eh?" said a voice Windfred had yet to hear. "You nead to work on your pseudonyms. That sounds like some kind of Doman snack food."

Mae stretched a bit, and continued examining the newcomer from her seat, whilst simultaneously ignoring Daenj'r as much as she could.

The Great Nevareh

Re: Au contraire. Now that you are here, what we have is...

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:57 pm

"THIS is a hangover cure? It's kind of... transparent. I'll bet it tastes just like candy."
She shakes the vial around in the air around her and examines it through pained, squinted eyes. She marches over to a countertop, circumvents Daenj'r, who is in the process of drinking coffee strong enough to lift weights, notes that he's using her "World's Best Dad!" mug, grabs a cup from her pantry, and empties some of the pot of coffee into the cup for the salesman to drink. Then, looking over at Mae in wonder of the eerie break in her usual silence, she shrugs and pours herself some of the coffee. As she dickers around with her coffee utensils, she turns her heavy-lidded eyes at Winfred.
"Someone ought to teach you to lie, Mr. Toast-ato. Creme or sugar, anyone?"

Edited by: The Great Nevareh at: 10/22/04 10:01 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Gaera Main RPs