The Mercenary RP.

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
Dark Xia

Re: No, he doesn't consider fighting leg work. =D

Unread postby Dark Xia » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:56 pm

Saen's ears twitched as she heard this conversation, she watched the proceedings with curiosuity.

Mhhh, what a dare devil... wonder if I he's enough of one to want to try new and interesting things... really hope he wins big ^_^ .

As if gliding without leaving the ground, Saen moved quickly over to Ree and gave him a small kiss on the side of his head, that was definitely full of meaning. She backed off quickly after giving him a wink, and gave him plenty of room, holding her hands behind her back and innocently watching.

Edited by: Dark Xia at: 2/6/04 11:59 pm

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:06 am

"Thirty five hun'." he replied. It would leave Ree able to feed himself, but it was a large, large cut of his earnings.

It was also a good five hundred more than he should pay, if his memory served him correctly.

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:37 am

That damn grin of Ree's was back again.

"I'll tell you what. I know for a fact that I don't owe that bastard you work for more than three thousand. I see your angle. It's a good one. But how'd you like a better one?"

Ree didn't wait for the mountainous man to speak, but rather took out a pair of dice and casually tossed them in the air, catching them as he continued. "I've got plenty more than just what I owe. This job was good to me! I'll put an extra grand up against whatever you made in your stint here. We'll play a little dice. I've used up most of my luck out there, don't you think? You've got a good chance to stick me for at least twice what you want. And who knows? Maybe we get more people to join in, and we both make some money? Everyone wins, right?" The drow gave the thug a nudge and a wink. "Whadda ya say?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:49 am

The thug paused, running the drow's words through his head a few times. He knew he'd be in a whole world of trouble if he returned without the money. On the other hand, the drow made sense. It was a risk, sure, but he could end up with a good bit on the side, along with getting his job done, and leaving the stupid pointy-eared bastard without a gil to his name.

"Lemme get this. Yer willing to bet a grand up on me...that's four fifty hun', and winner takes all?"

Clearly, the man had taken care of some other business while he was out there. And Ree was sure that it was not of the legal sort.

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:52 am

Ree nodded affirmative. "That's exactly what I'm saying. Standard dice rules, whoever wins two out of three is winner." His grin spread from ear to ear. "Winner takes all."

Jak Snide

Do or Dice

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:36 am

The thug mulled over the proposal again for a minute, before taking Boreas up on his offer. The drow suggested they take their game behind the inn; nice and out of sight. Whoever cared followed them, and a few minutes later they arrived, and the game rules was set. Each man rolled a pair of dice, with the pairs being switched between players after each roll. Highest roll wins, with draws being re-rolled.

The first roll was made, with the dark elf scoring a 2 and 6. The thug, however, outdid this, with 6 and 4, giving him the first round. Shrugging at his turn of bad luck, Ree used this motion to disguise taking a different pair of dice from his pouch, and into hand. While undetected, he didn't use the dice in the next throw, which proved to be his undoing. The thug rolled a double 5, with Boreas' die swapping their scores from before; a 6 followed by a 2. Ree silently cursed the man's luck, and laughed.

"Well, what did I say? My luck got used up out there."

"Looks like it." the man replied, grinning and getting to his feet.

"Well earned, my friend." Ree counted out the money, glumly looking at what he had left; a mere shadow of his former wealth. "And when you get back to Doma, if you ever need another game, look me up."

The thug turned to leave, saying "I'll remember that. Thanks fer the game, friend." as he left.

Poorer, but free from fear of being maimed by the hired goon, Ree headed around the front of the inn, and entered. After all, win or loose, he still wanted to finish his nap.

Dark Xia

Unread postby Dark Xia » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:41 am

Saen crossed her arms and glanced up at the sky. "... someone decided they didn't like me, huh?" She muttered quietly to herself, oh well, she had other things to do. Like spend her large some of money which she on the other hand didn't lose foolishly... yet.

Edited by: Dark Xia at: 2/7/04 8:41 am

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Re: Do or Dice

Unread postby Kelne » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:52 pm

Larak took in the exchange, shaking his head at the madness of Ree. Some people just didn't take money seriously. Saen might have forgotten the debt in the excitement, but Larak hadn't. He counted out the requisite sum from his own take, and handed it to Saen as the mercurial woman passed. He still wasn't sure that she was entirely sane, but she'd proven a good ally. That done, he headed back into the inn.

Dark Xia

Unread postby Dark Xia » Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:23 pm

(how much does he think he has to give her ^_^?)

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:53 pm

"Well." said the gunman, to anyone who remained. "That was anticlimactic. Though really, I suppose I shouldn't be looking for fights so soon after getting that job..."

With that, Ratch meandered back towards the inn, also intent on finishing his nap.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:24 pm

Brandon and Calhoun headed inside as well, still tired from the long walk back to town. After Larak had settled his debt with Saen they retired to bed as well.

After a good, long rest, the Baronian and the red mage parted ways with the group, the former heading West while the latter headed North, into Riva. The remaining four mercs, after awaking, were shown to the largest table in the inn, where they were presented with the fanciest, largest meal the place could offer. Saving the town had it's rewards, it seemed. Besides the money, of course.

Dark Xia

Unread postby Dark Xia » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:18 pm

"Wahoo! Things are finally going my way it seems... ah, after horrible run-ins with nature, I thought I was sure to be eaten by a huge worm next or something."

Saen reclined in her chair lazily, a very generous portiono f food having been scooped up onto her plate. Snuggling in her wings briefly, few happy smiles could compare to the one on her face. Then it was back to feasting.

"Mhh.. so.. *munch* ... you guys have any plans for the immediate future? *more munching*"

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:10 pm

Ree munched contentedly on his meal. At least he wouldn't be short any gold paying for provisions, it would seem. "I, for one, intend to get back to Doma as quickly as possible. I only took this job because I had a debt it would have been unhealthy not to pay off."

Of course I am running very close to broke now...

"It's not that I don't enjoy working with you all, but I much prefer to live in familiar territory."

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:09 pm

(120 gil, rounding up a little.)

"No real plans for me," Larak said cheerfully, regarding the others, "I figure I'll just move on and find myself another job. Still, wouldn't mind a bit o' company."

Dark Xia

Unread postby Dark Xia » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:03 pm

"You know Ree, if you're willing... I might have a little proposition for you sometimes... but I need to take a look at some fine armor first.. this old crappy thing needs to go."

Saen took a big gulp of her ale, and then gave out a satisfied gasp. "Mhhh... delish... guess getting impaled was worth it... wonder what those drow are up to right now... you know, if I was them, I'd be really pissed.. and plotting vengence..."

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:23 pm

Hm... I could use some more cash.

"I am always interested in a proposition that benifits me. But how much? That's the big thing." Ree stared at his food. Getting home could very well be a dangerous thing. He didn't have much money, but many people would think he did. And once he got back, he would need time to get back into the swing of the Doman Underground. Perhaps he could use some flunkies for a little while. It would certainly make things easier.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:50 pm

As the group talked a few of them noticed the caravan merchant from earlier, his attention immediately turning to them. It seemed he'd found what he was looking for.

"Ah, my friends!" He exclaimed, glancing between them all. "I've just heard of your success! Quite the deed, I must say. I trust my wares proved their worth?"

Dark Xia

Re: The Mercenary RP.

Unread postby Dark Xia » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:25 pm

Saen had taken a break from her meal, pained by her foolish mistake. She leaned her head against the fist of her hand. "-_- mhh... ya.. but it helps to remember you have the healing potion right when you're first disembowled, not an hour later..."

Her face suddenly wenti nto a smile and she gulped down another bit of ale. After that she quickly turned to the merchant, her smile as wide as ever. "So, Mr. Merchant... eh sorry, I guess after all that I've forgotten your name.. or did I never get it from you? Heheheh.. tell me again, and I promise to try to remember it better... even more so if you have something I'm interested in spending some of this nice reward on ~_^."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:56 pm

"Pedro Aurelio," he replied, bowing slightly as he spoke, "and today I am not interested in providing you with my services, but purchasing yours for myself."

He waved a hand at the table to indicate he meant the entire group, and not just Saen.

"The crisis here is over and, sadly, that means that the demand for adventuring paraphernalia has dropped. I would have moved on already but, sadly, the mercenaries I hired as guards on the way here are with their gods now. So I ask you, would the prospect of a fair fee and a few days travel interest you all?"

Dark Xia

Unread postby Dark Xia » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:06 am

"Poo, I guess I'l lhave to look for fashionable armor elsewhere... but the talk of more money does sound interesting... mhhh... shall we discuss this elsewhere maybe, once we're done eating? Best to talk in private I think, and when our mnids aren't distracted by these sweet scents and tastes. Although I like business and pleasure to go together... I like to have a clear mind too." Saen was of course releashing those times where she had lost herself in bliss and business... mhh.. those where good times.

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:36 pm

A slight glimmer of interest showed in Ree's eyes. "I might perhaps be interested, for I do need to travel. But the issue on my mind is, where will we be going?"

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:30 pm

"More work is usually appreciated, 'specially when it involves movin' around." chimed in Ratch. "Mercenary work rarely stays stationary, after all. 'sides, I 'spose I do owe ya a little, seein' as I got that discount and all..."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:01 pm

"Nivea, first and foremost. Quaint little place, and often host to adventuring sorts coming to and from Doma City. Which, as a matter of fact, is where we'll head after spending a day or two in Nivea. Interested?"

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:14 pm

"Aye, 'tis interestin'," Larak said, "What kind o' pay're we talkin' here?" It was obvious that there wouldn't be any work around here in the near future, and the prospect of being paid to travel onwards was an appealing one.

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:56 pm

Ree's thoughts paralleled Larak's.

Somewhere I want to go, an easy route to take, and we get paid to boot. It doesn't get better than that...

"Hm..." Was he only audible comment, waiting to hear the answer to Larak's question.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:00 pm

"350 each for the trip to Nivea, and another 75 if you choose to ride on to Doma City. Three meals a day included in the pay, of course."

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:30 pm

"That dun sound too bad. Expectin' a lot o' action along the way?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:09 am

"It is wise to always be on your guard. I have no enemies who would actively seek me out in such a fashion, but you can never tell when brigands will strike. And a merchant caravan, packed full of expensive wares, is a tempting target."

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:19 am

Indeed, and if the guards happen to pick up a little on the side for themselves... Ree was not thinking, of course, only of his pay, but also the undoubtedly rich people who would be visiting the caravan with loaded purses.

"It sounds like an excellent arangement to me. When do you wish to leave?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:00 pm

"Provided you're all interested, nine o' clock tomorrow morning in the market square. If not, I'll have to look around for extra hands."

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:33 pm

"Aye, I'll be there," Larak said, taking another drink of his ale. It'd either be a nice cushy assignment, or he'd get to teach a few unsuspecting bandits some lessons. Either way was good.

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:19 pm

Seeing that he could count on at least one other companion to place between himself and danger, Ree also nodded. "I wouldn't mind coming either."

Dark Xia

Unread postby Dark Xia » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:38 am

(sorry about that guys, *finally posts*)

"Eh, sure, I'll be there, what can argue with money? Well a lot of things, but ya, I'll come. Mhh but to say you're not interested in our mnoey at all.. how unmerchant like to my ears." Saen leaned forward, her hand supporting her face via her cheek. She put on a slightly pouting face. Saen's eyes in the meantime glanced towards the nearest window, trying to figure out what time it was, she hadn't been keeping track, obviously.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:35 pm

"I fail t' see a problem with this."

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:43 pm

Ree smirked slightly. All three of his remaining companions would be coming. Then he would have some people he could already use with him. But then again...

"Not to meddle in affairs outside my buisness, but there are only four of us, and none of us are adept healers." Only one of us is an adept fighter as well. He added silently. "It might be wise for you to look for one or two others to come with you."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:59 pm

Pedro gave pause as he considered Ree's advice. More mercenaries hired resulted in more money spent, and healers had a way of making sure everyone lived to collect their pay. On the other hand he did like this group, even if it was lacking a third of it's former members, and another few hundred gil wouldn't hurt him too badly.

"I'll see if I can find someone skilled in the healing arts, then. In the mean time, you should all rest yourselves for a long days travel."

Saen noted that the sun was setting on the horizon. They'd slept and fettered away their daylight hours after Ree had concluded his business with the hired goon earlier.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:20 pm

The deal made, the remaining minutes of the day passed by quickly enough, the night following. Whether they forced themselves to sleep, or whittled away the hours, the four mercenaries made their way to the market square the next morning, where they were greeted by the sight of Pedro and his caravan, now packed up and ready to go, a lone horse reigned up at the front of it. However, today the inujin was accompanied by a pair of strangers. One was a human man, garbed in robes and sporting a head of jet black hair. The other was an unusual looking woman, who's features suggested she was probably of both elven and human parentage.

"Ah, good timing!" the merchant declared, walking up to Ree and shaking his hand. "I took your advice and hired two of the finest healers in all of Doma. On my right is Carlton Tonta, a priest of Ishtar. The lady is called Valia. They arrived after the raiders attacked this town, too late to sign up for the work they'd come for."

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:31 pm

Ree looked the pair up and down, mentally berating himself for not mentioning to get some brawn to go with the brains. Words are important, Ree. They're your only real resource right now. Don't waste them! Demand what you need, but don't sound to desperate! But it was too late for that now.

Half of the drow began sizing up his new companions, trying to determine what their skills were. Another, completely seperate part of him was already talking. "Well, it's always a pleasure to meet others of our trade, especially if they are skilled in areas we lack. My name is Boreas Nethen, but since we will be working together, you may call me Ree."

By this point, Ree was ready to turn all his attention back to his employer. "Well, then, do you wish for guards at the front and back of your group, or for us to simply float up and down the line?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:36 pm

Glancing them over, Ree noticed they were both armed, although with nothing more than simple pieces of wood. Valia's rod, however, did catch his eye. There was something unusual about it that defied description, but left him wondering. As for their other equipment, Carlton had a small traveler's pack, suggesting him he was equipped for the road, while Valia sported a number of small pouches, most of which Ree guessed were probably used for herbs or spell components.

"Both front and rear," the merchant replied, "if you can manage it." Make your presence clear, however. Your job is best done by deterring an attack, after all."

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:23 pm

Carlton simply looked over those present, nodding to them each in turn. "Good to meet you, Ree. And everyone else, though I don't know your names yet. Like he said, I'm Carlton. Carlton Tonta."

Rather than continue on to call himself a priest, he decided to leave that part out for now...After all, he wasn't quite there yet, though some would argue he got close enough. For now, he shut up, and listened to his new employer.

PreviousNext

Return to Gaera Main RPs