The Mercenary RP.

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
Dark Xia

Re: Sorry for the long response time...

Unread postby Dark Xia » Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:11 pm

Getting the lay of the land would be nice, but I don't think I'm up to doing anything that spectacular. I might need to get warmed up a bit first...

Saen crossed her arms and sighed a littl,e oh how she wish that was what this bossy guy meant. Well whatever. "I currently have none sir."

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:09 pm

"Sounds good to me," Brandon said simply. "No questions here."

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:39 pm

"Simple enough, chief." said the Valthi mercenary, still ignoring Saen.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:38 pm

"None here," Larak said, still perusing his surroundings.

Jak Snide

I'm a fucking bastard

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:24 pm

Larak didn't have a hard time scouting out the town. While daily life continued, the numbers that walked the streets was less than it was normally. The attacks in the surrounding area had put the fear of the gods into most people, it seemed.

Since Malmuth lacked a town wall, the dwarf knew that the best places to keep watch would be on the outskirts of the town, and any elevated buildings. The temple of Tartir had a small tower, which rose above the other buildings in the town. The clergy seemed all too glad to let it be used as a look out point.

Besides that, he found a small inn towards the North of the Eastern part of town, "The Singing Crane." Seemed like the place travellers would stop off for the night before heading off again, although business didn't seem to have suffered too much yet. In a pinch, the place could be barricaded, and the upper floors were another place where someone could keep watch. Walking around in the open was practically asking to be picked off by anyone with a ranged weapon or magic.

A few hours later, Boreas' group met up at the market place he'd indicated earlier. It was mid afternoon, and although the place was hardly teeming with activity, a good few people were out buying this and that.

Of particular note, however, was a caravan from which it's owner appeared to be selling goods to a few of the other mercenaries in town.

Dark Xia

Re: I'm a fucking bastard

Unread postby Dark Xia » Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:31 am

Dammit! What happened to my rope? *Sigh* Guess I can just buy a new one... have to try not to misplace things, It's not like I have all the money in the world

And so began Saen's search for a good reliable length rope, perhaps at least 30 feet in length, though 50 would be more to her preference. A good rope always could come in handy. Especially for tying things such as human limbs together.

Edited by: Dark Xia at: 8/21/03 9:31 am

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:45 am

It didn't take the winged lady long to find what she was looking for. With all the mercenaries in town, those who could provide useful goods were taking every chance they got to push said wares. The local stable owner, who's small, ramshackle stand displayed a sign reading "You can never have too much rope!" was doing a fine job selling off all the rope he didn't need to tie up his chocobos. Thirty gold pieces and a minute later, Sean had a good length of rope again. While it was a bit heavy, she was sure it'd come in handy at some point.

(50 feet, and you have 290 Doman Gil left, 890 if you took the advance.)

Edited by: Jak Snide  Image at: 9/3/03 1:46 am

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:43 pm

Brandon, meanwhile, had confidently made his way over to the caravan, and was now browsing its wares for the cheapest seller of health potions. From experience, he knew that it never hurt to have a little portable white mage in a bottle on hand on jobs such as these...

I wonder what we'll find today? Or tomorrow? he wondered idly. I do hope it's something interesting...Alexander is in need of a good work out.

Edited by: pd Rydia  Image at: 8/22/03 2:06 pm

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:26 am

Larak, for his part, was fairly well set for supplies and equipment. Still, he couldn't resist taking a look about the various stands. There was always something interesting to be found in a merchant caravan...

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:41 am

As Brandon and Larak approached, they got a clearer look at the wares on sale. Swords, bows and other weaponry were stuff in barrels and lined up along racks outside the caravan. Arrows and bolts were being sold by the score, and a few leather vests were hung on modeling dummies which looked more akin to scarecrows than anything else. While there didn't seem to be any potions at first glance, Brandon noted the owner of the travelling shop conversing with the female elf who'd been given command of the Eastern night watch. He was a short, dusky blonde haired Inujin who was garbed in simple travelling clothing, and after a few moments, he went inside his caravan, emerging a few moments later with a pair potions in hand. He handed them to the elf, and coins were given in return. The Baronian figured that he kept them in there to prevent shop lifting, something his family had dealt with when a few of the local children started swiping tea bags from under their noses.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:06 pm

"Excuse me, sir!" Brandon interjected to the potions dealer, oblivious to any conversations he might have been in the middle of. "Do you happen to have any health restoring potions? And if so, how much for each vial?"

Jak Snide

Page 2!

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:54 pm

The vendor, who'd just concluded business with the warrior elf, turned quickly to face Brandon, looking up at his face.

"Healing potions, hrrrmmmm? Why, yes, I do have some of them. Picked them up in Southern Doma on my up North, you know. Now, got three different sorts for you. There's the standard affair for 250 gil a pop, the stronger variety for 500, and then, my friend, the Ultra brand potion. Costly at 1500 gold, but it'll do all but raise the dead! So, what'll it be?"

Edited by: Jak Snide  Image at: 9/3/03 1:47 am

pd Rydia

Re: Page 2!

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:59 pm

Brandon's face underwent a rapid series of changes: from a blank expression to one of surprise, from surprise back to blank, and once again from blank to dismayed. He pulled out a handful of gil from his pocket and counted carefully, eyebrows pulled together as he scowled at the coins, as if to multiply them with his look.

"I'll take...one standard potion, if you please," he grunted, holding forth the bulk of his coinage to the vendor. "It's good stuff, yeah?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:09 pm

The little man peered at the coins for a moment, then scooped up the majority of Brandon's coins before disappearing into the caravan for a moment. He emerged with a small vial of purple liquid. It certainly didn't look like it'd taste good, that was for sure.

"There you go, sir. Pleasure doing business with you."

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:14 pm

"Uh huh," Brandon muttered, taking the potion and tucking it away in a pocket.

With much cracking and popping, Brandon gave a mighty stretch, before striding out, looking for the others.

Dark Xia

Unread postby Dark Xia » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:11 pm

Saen had taken the advance.

Heh, what goodi s a contract if my employer gets killed by whatever we're facing, might as well have the money with me.

Overhearing the advertisement of the potions, Saen quickly rushed over. "Oh! Oh! I'll take one of those standard potions please!" Once she had finished with the transcation she did a little bow, smiling sweetly, and gave the merchant a hug. "If this thing keeps me alive, I'll be back for more... promise, and maybe I'll find some special way to show my thanks ~_^."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:27 pm

Although slightly taken aback initially, the travelling merchant quickly recovered, and chuckled loudly.

"Maybe, hrrrmm? I'll remember that, yes I will." he said, the chuckle still in his voice.

(Saen has 640 gil left.)

Edited by: Jak Snide  Image at: 9/3/03 1:48 am

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:40 am

It seemed there wasn't anything compelling in the caravan today. Well, never mind. There was always the next time. For now, Larak decided to follow the others' lead and see what potions were available. By this time, it was something of an open secret which merchant was selling them.

"Afternoon, lad," he said, approaching the merchant in question, "What've ye got in the way o' potions?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:26 pm

"Hrrrmm. Got standard, stronger and ultra varieties of healing potions from Southern Doma, all in fairly good stock. Two fifty, five hundred and grand fifty respectively. Besides that, I've got a score or so of all purpose, anti-poison potions. Guaranteed to kill whatever concoction that's killing you, I'll have you know."

The merchant rolled his eyes upwards for a split second, trying to recall his inventory.

"Hrrrmm. I do believe I've still got a potion of shrinking. Not a temporary affair, I'll have you know. Down the vial and you'll be reduced to about 3 inches tall till a magely type can fix you. Wouldn't want to drink it yourself, of course, but you never know what you could use it for. Sell it to you at the low low price of 600 gil, if you're interested.

Edited by: Jak Snide  Image at: 9/3/03 1:53 am

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:31 am

Having taken his advance, Larak knew his money would stretch to cover it. "Aye, the shrinkin' potion does sound interestin'. I'll take that one. And how much for one o' them anti-poison deals?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:53 am

"I neglected to tell you the price!" he exclaimed loudly, sounding like he was more shocked with himself than anything else.

"Pardons, it's 400 gil a vial for them."

Edited by: Jak Snide  Image at: 9/3/03 1:49 am

FlamingDeth

I live.

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:47 pm

Ratch sat back for a while, figuring he'd let the others go through first. After all, he didn't want to get caught in a mad rush for the caravan. However, he was still planning on what he would want. It was obvious who was selling potions, but he still kept an eye out for amunition...his wasn't going to last forever, after all. And on that same note, he looked for anyone selling good quality daggers, so as to have something to fall back on if he did run out.

JoshuaDurron

RAWR!

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:28 pm

Ree was making his way through the caravan with his keen eyes out for something entirely different from the others. He had chosen to take the advance on his pay, but it never hurt to try and augment it...

Someone with a fat looking purse, who didn't seem to pay much attention to the world around him... that was what he wanted...

Jak Snide

Re: I live.

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:10 pm

Despite Ratch's hopes, ammunition of any sort was not to be found here. The Valthi government was notoriously tight on how much and what it exported, and it was unlikely that anywhere other than a center of commerce and trade would stock bullets.

Knives, however, were available in almost any store he looked into, sporting provisions or weaponry. Quality ones were a different matter. Most weren't even made for combat, let alone sufficient for the gunman's standards. He did find what he was looking for at the stall the local blacksmith had set up. The sudden demand for quality weapons had been a godsend for the man, and a sizeable number of the common Doman weapons were displayed in his stall, all neatly labeled and priced, knives being 40 gil each.

----

It didn't take long for Ree to spot a suitable mark. The podgy man bearing a symbol of Falis was milling around the caravan with about a dozen other assorted mercs, probably looking to buy extra healing supplies. Against his wisdom, his money pouch hung from his belt, resting against his left thigh. While it didn't look like it was about to burst, the small bag looked heavy enough to warrant a fair amount of gold.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:35 am

"I'll take one o' them as well, then," Larak said decisively. He didn't think he'd run into any poisonous creatures in the near future, but it'd be bound to come in handy sooner or later.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:46 am

"Well then, that'll be 1000 gil. I'll go fetch them while you count your coins."

As the merchant again went to delve into his hidden stock, Larak began counting his coin. And made an annoying discovery. Even with his advance, he only had 89 gil. Either he'd need to borrow some money, reconsider what he wanted to buy or, assuming the merchant was receptive, try to haggle and barter. However, he didn't recall anyone else trying such a thing since he'd gotten here.

Dark Xia

Unread postby Dark Xia » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:37 am

With much suddeness, Saen gave Larak a nice big hug from the back, "Heya, whats up ^_^? What potions didja get?" tilting her body to the right she leaned around to look at his face, and noticed a bit of annoyance on it. "Hey, what's wrong, aww, am I annoying you? If so I'll jsut go take my gentle touches elsewhere..."

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:17 pm

Ree edged closer to his mark, slinking along until he was in the midst of a fair sized crowd of people, already rehersing in his mind the appropriate appologies to use. When the time was right, he walked casually up next to the man, acting as if he intended for all the world to just keep walking on past him, and then tripped himself slightly, jostling up against the man for a moment. He immidiately began appologizing profusely, all the while making an effort to 'regain' his balance. If all went well, by the time he regained his feet, he would be a little richer, and armed the other man none the wiser.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Viva le I.

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:45 pm

"Bit short on cash," Larak said, in an annoyed tone. The sheer aggravation of the situation had, for the moment, short-circuited what would have been his normal reaction to being grabbed in such a way. Whatever that might have been. It wasn't something that had come up in the past.

He'd thought he'd had a bit more stashed away from his last job, but apparently not. It looked like he'd have to forgo the anti-poison potion for today. Of course if he did, he was bound to regret it, while if he didn't it'd wind up sitting in his pouch unused for months on end. It was the way the universe worked.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kelne>Kelne</A]&nbsp; Image at: 8/26/03 5:04 pm

Jak Snide

Lucky, lucky roll.

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:57 pm

Ree's plan went off without a hitch. As he fell, he moved in for the man's pouch. Although he was surprised to find the knot that secured it to his belt was an unusual one, he quickly spotted a loose loop and, pulling it as he went down onto one knee, undid the knot, the pouch falling into his hand, and quickly disappearing from sight. The man was friendly about the jostle, offering to help Boreas to his feet before moving off, completely unaware of what had transpired.

Once Ree was a safe distance away, he examined his "catch." 410 gil; not bad for a few minutes work.

(The thieving drow now has 1310 gil in total.)

Edited by: Jak Snide&nbsp; Image at: 9/3/03 1:51 am

JoshuaDurron

Because Ree is a luck bastard

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:17 pm

Ree let himself give a self satisfied little smile, and headed towards the potion seller. Once he got his attention, he asked politely, "I don't suppose I could get ahold of one of those regular healing potions?"

Jak Snide

Re: Because Ree is a luck bastard

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:24 pm

The inujin, who'd just emerged from the caravan carrying Larak's order, sighed quickly and darted back inside, coming back with other vial in hand.

"Two fifty" he said briskly. Obviously, being bothered when he was dealing with another customer wasn't the merchant appreciated.

Edited by: Jak Snide&nbsp; Image at: 9/3/03 1:54 am

Dark Xia

Re: Because Ree is a luck bastard

Unread postby Dark Xia » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:27 pm

"Well if you need any monetary assistence, I could be of service... if you desired. All I ask for in return is that you pay me back at a 1% interest rate ^_^... how about it?" She was now keeping her hands to herself, her arms crossed, yet her smile was back.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:39 pm

The gunman made his way to the store, eying those knives. Pulling a longer, thinner one out of the pile, obviously used for thrusting above all else, he presented it to the shopkeeper.

"'ey, how much for this one?"

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Suuuure she will. 1% per minute...

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:32 pm

"Aye, lass, that'd be appreciated. I'll pay ye back by the end o' the week." Larak, being a relatively straightforward soul, didn't catch the little clues that others might pick up on. It would no doubt be a mistake he would come to regret in the future...

Jak Snide

Re: Suuuure she will. 1% per minute...

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:16 pm

The blacksmith, your standard heavily muscled man with a general lack of hair on his head, looked at the Valthi, and hesitated for a second before he gave his reply.

"Twenty gil."

Edited by: Jak Snide&nbsp; Image at: 9/3/03 1:52 am

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:38 pm

The Valthi mercenary dug around in his pocket momentarily before coming up with the money. He handed it to the blacksmith, and with a simple thanks, made his way over to the shop with the potions.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:09 pm

As Ratch moved over to the caravan, the merchant approached Larak once again, two vials in one hand, and the other in front of him, palm up, expecting payment.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:55 pm

Having sorted out the arrangements with Saen, Larak handed over the 1000 gil for the two potions. Perhaps the lass wasn't quite as bad as she'd seemed on first impression...

Edited by: Jak Snide&nbsp; Image at: 9/3/03 1:55 am

Dark Xia

Unread postby Dark Xia » Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:02 pm

"Okay, as of this moment you owe me 110 gil." Saen seemed quite happy with her work, "Mhhh, wonder if we should be meeting up with everyone soon."

She locked her hands together besides her head and stared up into the sky for a moment, looking all day-dreamy and such. Of coruse she quickly came back to reality and reminded herself to never let her guard down again.

Edited by: Jak Snide&nbsp; Image at: 9/3/03 1:56 am

PreviousNext

Return to Gaera Main RPs