The Mercenary RP.

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
JoshuaDurron
 

Re: Confused

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Wed May 19, 2004 11:46 pm

Ree nodded. "There was a farm house about an hour back. How long will it take you, Larak?"


User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Confused

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu May 20, 2004 1:45 am

As the others dealt with the problem, Carlton simply looked over the surrounding area. In the middle of the night, he really didn't want to have a confrontation with a group of bandits, expecially if there was no chance of escape due to a broken wagon. When Ree pointed out the farmstead, he simply turned to the others and nodded.

"I'd be willing to go check it out, if I had a bit of company. I don't exactly feel suited to dealing with bandits on my own. Though...It may be a better idea to just sit tight, I suppose..."


JoshuaDurron
 

Re: Confused

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Thu May 20, 2004 11:34 am

"No. Bad idea," Ree instantly replied. "I shouldn't have suggested it in the first place. It's too far back to the nearest farm house. We'd probably be better off going forward betting on finding a new one. Think about it. We're sitting targets to anyone out here. Better to be attacked when together in a large group than seperated in small ones."

I defenitely do NOT want to get killed because these idiots go running every which if we get attacked.


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Confused

Unread postby Kelne » Fri May 21, 2004 9:12 pm

Larak, meanwhile, had set to work, and was figuring out how long it would take until he was finished.


User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

Re: Confused

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun May 23, 2004 7:24 pm

From the look of things it'd take an hour or so to fix, probably a little more. Not too bad, but plenty of time for anything that'd heard the chocobo's warking to come and investigate.


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Confused

Unread postby Kelne » Sun May 23, 2004 11:43 pm

"Shouldn't take too long," Larak said, "About an hour or so. Best thing to do is sit tight and have a few sentries out checking to see if we've got company."


Dark Xia
 

Re: Confused

Unread postby Dark Xia » Mon May 24, 2004 6:52 am

Saen sighed and flexed her wrist absently. "The suspense isn't killing me for some reason, odd." She finally realized that she WAS feeling a bit tired, and muttered to herself. She shookher head, trying to get the sleepiness out and then rubbed her eyes, followed by a stretch and a yawn.

(Also, if the wagon is how I think it is, then there's a roof right? We're not talking about those cloth-hooded wagons or did I miss something back there? Anyway, if it's a solid top, Saen gets up there, lays down on her belly and sets herself to look in the direction past the working Larak. She also suggests in a rather suggests that someone comes up here and watches the other direction.)


User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

Re: Confused

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon May 24, 2004 9:23 am

(The wagon is indeed a solid-topped dealie.)

Saen clambered up on top of the wagon, laying herself low to keep watch over the soon to be working dwarf. If anyone wanted to take up the offer to accompany her was yet to be seen.


JoshuaDurron
 

Re: Confused

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon May 24, 2004 10:46 am

With a deep sigh, Ree mentally resigned himself, and then said, "OK. If Larak can fix it as fast as he says he can, he can do it in half the time it would take to make a round trip to the farm and back. We'll wait here, and keep watch."

Besides, I doubt you would have liked the way I got a wheel axle from them, Carlin.

"Ratch, you and the two healers stay up with Larak, but be ready to move if something happens." Here was the hard part. "Saen and I will keep our eyes peeled from the wagon top, and let you know if somethings coming."

Although, in truth, I'd much rather be up there and dealing with Saen than down here dealing with bandits. He thought as he clambered up and sat down next to Saen on top of the lookout wagon. He made it a point to sit, and not lie down, like she was. "Let me know if you see something. Something hostile looking."


User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Confused

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon May 24, 2004 2:17 pm

Carlton sighed and shifted a bit of his weight. Contemplating sitting on the ground, he decided against it- His robes might get dirty. The alternative was to lean on the wagon, but he didn't want to take the chance of his weight upsetting something. Keeping a watch over the surrounding area as much as he could, he simply prayed that there'd be no trouble.


Dark Xia
 

Re: Confused

Unread postby Dark Xia » Mon May 24, 2004 3:02 pm

Saen turned her head briefly to pout at Ree, "You're more of a target like that, sir."

Edited by: Dark Xia at: 5/24/04 3:03 pm

User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Confused

Unread postby Kelne » Tue May 25, 2004 12:03 am

Seeing that everyone was getting themselves organised, Larak set to work on the broken axle, muttering occasionally about shoddy workmanship. He would sometimes emerge to recruit some unsuspecting individual to hold something in place for him or otherwise assist.

Otherwise, he just got on with the job at hand. It wouldn't be the height of craftsmanship, but it would get them where they were going. Which was about as much as could be asked, given the tools at his disposal.


JoshuaDurron
 

Re: Confused

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue May 25, 2004 12:09 am

"I can see better than most in the dark. I hope to spot them before they spot me." Ree left his being called "sir" alone. He didn't want to know what had prompted that.


FlamingDeth
Moderator
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:54 am

Dazed and confused, for so long, it's not true!

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue May 25, 2004 4:20 am

Having already given up hope of finding a sppare axle, Ratch remained next to the wagon.

"Got it, chief." said the gunman, almost as much to himself as to the drow. Ree may have ben confused as to Saen's words, but he knew all too well...seemed that some of them were almost begining to think of it as a real mercenary company, rather than just an enjoyable side venture.


Dark Xia
 

Re: Confused

Unread postby Dark Xia » Tue May 25, 2004 6:43 am

Saen quickly turned her head to watch again.

"Why don't you people like to get close..."


User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

Re: Confused

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue May 25, 2004 8:04 pm

Before Ree could make a reply, he sighted a lone figure making his way up the road from the East. His keen night eyes told him that the stranger was a she, one possessing the slender form of an elf. Any more was hidden by the cowled cloak that she wore, so coloured that it almost melded with the night itself. She was making no attempts to hide, however.

Unlike the duo of figures that watched her from a ways behind, who thought themselves well concealed.

"Hail and well met!" the lone elf called out towards them as she drew nearer.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">(Edit: It has come to my attention that Larak is due for a level up. Kelne, could you e-mail me a leveled up and updated sheet for him ASAP, please?)</span>

Edited by: Jak Snide&nbsp; Image at: 5/25/04 9:03 pm

Dark Xia
 

Re: Dazed and confused, for so long, it's not true!

Unread postby Dark Xia » Tue May 25, 2004 10:09 pm

Saen squinted, trying to get a better view of the owner of the voice as she cast a spell.

"Day and night, do not blind my sight, but show me truth, in all things." She whispered quietly to herself.

(Aura reading)


JoshuaDurron
 

Re: Dazed and confused, for so long, it's not true!

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue May 25, 2004 11:28 pm

Thousands of silent alarms went off in Ree's mind. She could be a front. A decoy. She could have no idea. They could have more, they could be alone... what to do, what to do...

Of course he already knew the answer. He fully intended to play her for a sucker, no matter how you sliced it. He stood up on the wagon and called out, "And likewise to you. What brings a lone woman through such empty lands at this time of night?"


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Confused

Unread postby Kelne » Thu May 27, 2004 12:56 am

(Done.)

Larak peered out from under the wagon at this exchange. In his experience, lone figures appearing out of the night were generally trouble of one sort or another. Still, the others would no doubt keep things well in hand.

Anyway, unless the elf was carrying an axle under her cloak, there was still work to be done. Larak returned to fixing the axle, though he kept an eye on proceedings.


User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

Re: Dazed and confused, for so long, it's not true!

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri May 28, 2004 3:23 pm

Saen's spell yielded a vision of a swirling mass of colours. Either this person was very unique indeed, or her spell had misfired spectacularly.

"A ranger never deserts her duty," she replied, "no matter what peril there may be. Besides, I have nothing of value to take, and the vagabonds of this area know I'm more than a match for them. You, however, appear to be guarding a lone caravan; something that's sure to draw much attention. Which makes it even more puzzling that you have chosen to halt for the night along this dangerous road."


Dark Xia
 

Re: Dazed and confused, for so long, it's not true!

Unread postby Dark Xia » Sat May 29, 2004 10:27 pm

Ugh, need to practice that one more.

Saen decided to look around in every direction besides the one that contained the approaching woman. She reminded herself that it's always better to be afraid of the unknown than the known.


User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Confused

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun May 30, 2004 1:46 am

Holding fast in his location, Carlton simply gripped his staff and kept an eye on the new woman, ready to give her a good whap if the need arose.

Though he figured he'd likely be alot more use healing someone who got hurt trying to deliver a much more effective whap.


User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

The benefit of having high intuition

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun May 30, 2004 12:08 pm

Carlton noted a few things as he watched the elf. Firstly was the fact that she was not visibly armed. This wasn't to say that she wasn't armed, but someone of her role would usually display their weaponry as a warning, wouldn't they? Secondly he got a better look at her features. Her face was free of nicks and scratches, and he could just make out a lock of pale blonde hair inside the darkness of her hood. She was a little shorter than the other elves he'd seen, but otherwise she appeared fairly normal.

Saen, up in her lookout position, kept low and watched, the darkness of the night hardly giving her any trouble. Something was definitely up, as she spotted the duo of figures which Ree had observed a moment before moving up along the Northern set of foothills. Furthermore, she caught a glimpse of something moving in the ditch that ran along the Southern part of the road. Something was most certainly up.


JoshuaDurron
 

Ree has a high intuition... ;_;

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon May 31, 2004 10:56 am

Ree carefully dismounted from the wagon and approached the elf. "A ranger, you say? Then you would be a guardian of the wilderness? If so, your pesence would be welcome. The axle on one of our wagons has broken, and we are forced to either abandon it or repair it here. As we have a rather strong body of guards, we thought there was little risk in repairing it. Of course, the more in a group, the safer we are... Would you care to stop with us for a time?"

Ree bowed deeply as he made the offer, taking the opportunity to get a little nearer to the elf, whispering as he did so (and hopefully loud enough for her to hear,) "Are you aware you are being followed?"


User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

Re: Confused

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:24 pm

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">(I take it Ree has climbed down from on top of the wagon?)</span>

She blinked once, and quickly glanced over her shoulder at the darkened countryside.

"Where are they?" she whispered back.

---

Pedro emerged from the back of the caravan where the others, with the exception of Sean, stood watch. He looked more than a little distressed, and babbled something in Inustani again. Ratch once again caught the gist of it; he didn't trust the elven woman who'd just arrived one bit. Then again he didn't look he'd trust his own mother at the moment.


JoshuaDurron
 

Run Forest Run

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:15 am

(OOC: Aye. First action in the last post.)

"Come," speaking at full volume as he straightened up, "I'll introduce you to the rest of my travelling companions." Ree casually laid a hand on her arm, gently leading her a few steps further into the caravan. Then, again in a whisper, "Two of them, a few hundred feet behind."


User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

Re: Run Forest Run

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:57 pm

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">(Gods, I must be going blind.)</span>

Ree managed to take about half a step before he found his throat at the mercy of a blade, the "ranger" taking advantage of him turning around to hold him hostage. She'd moved so fast that he hadn't even realised he was in trouble until it was too late. Either she was very quick, or he was getting rusty.

"My good fellows!" she announced to the rest of the party, taking some steps back with Ree away from the caravan, "if you value the life of your comrade here you'll lay down your arms and step away from the caravan."

As she spoke the men Saen had been watching in the ditch sprung up and hurried to the elf's side. There were four of them; three men garbed in leather armour, each one carrying a sword. The fourth man was larger than the others, and was dressed in chain mail. He clutched a halberd in his hands, grinning at the circumstances that presented themselves before him. She also sighted the other two people who'd been watching down the road break cover and run towards them, but they'd take a short while to get there.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">(While combat isn't inevitable, I'll be using a hexboard if it does break out. The current positions of people is shown here.)</span>

Round the back of the caravan, Pedro's mood went from bad to worse. Ratch noted he was cussing far more than any decant man should when praying to his god.


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Run Forest Run

Unread postby Kelne » Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:43 am

At long last, the escalating tensions drew Larak away from his work. Muttering about damned treacherous elves, he emerged from behind the wagon. A quick glance at the situation and a plan came to mind. As with so many of his plans lately, it involved explosives. If a stick of dynamite didn't distract the elf enough for Ree to get free, what would? Plus there was the added bonus that it would take out several of her oh so nicely grouped minions.

Still, that plan was a tad risky, so he would attempt to reason with her first. "Ye'll be wantin' to reconsider that, lady," he said, voice pitched deliberately low and dangerous, "Let the lad go and we'll say no more o' this."

While he palmed a match with one of his hands, the other hovered innocuously near the pouch in which he kept his dynamite. Ree would hopefully pick up on its positioning, giving him some warning of what was to come.


JoshuaDurron
 

Re: Run Forest Run

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:33 am

OK, now who got suckered here?

The question might not have been rhetorical. Although he was now a hostage, he was in a position to potentially cause some trouble of his own. The first thing to do was look over the elf carefully, and try and discover anything she had that might be worth stealing, and possibly be taken off of her person unobserved. With that in mind, hoping that she would now be focused entirely on his companions, he bent all his visual facilities to searching the elf.


User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Run Forest Run

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:34 pm

Carlton continued leaning on his staff, hoping the bandits wouldn't think enough of it to count it as a potential weapon. Trying to stay calm, he went over the situation in his head, but let the others do the talking- Priests weren't usually the best at negotiations with bandits, but if worse came to worse, he would give it a shot.


FlamingDeth
Moderator
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:54 am

It ain't no fun starin' straight down a .44!

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:56 pm

If there was one thing that Ratch wasn't, it was subtle. He knew that the elf thought she had the upper hand. The elf thought that they wouldn't do anything as long as she had their comrade. What she didn't count on, it seemed, was the fact that they were mercenaries, people who dealt in the fine art of senseless violence.

Ratch, having noticed Larak's gestures rather quickly, nodded to the demolitionist, and in a flash had his weapons out. Coincidentally, in that same flash, one of his guns fired off, it's target...the elf's exposed arm, the one holding the blade to Ree's neck. It had a chance of hurting Ree, sure, but in this instance, it was a chance he was willing to take.

(Lightning Draw + Eagle Eye, with 6 TP thrown into Eagle Eye, target of course being that there arm!)


User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

Re: Run Forest Run

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:25 pm

Ree noticed that the elf had another sword sheathed on her belt, and that was about all he had the time to notice. Ratch's shot was straight and true, and accomplished what it meant to do, the elf's forearm taking the hit dead on. She dropped her sword, screaming in pain as she staggered back a step, clutching at a her now none too pretty and useless arm. Ree, naturally, was now free of his captor, but also further away from the caravan than he probably would like.

The other bandits drew their weapons, the gunshot signaling the end of the negotiations before they'd even started. Saen sighted the two in the distance quicken their pace. It looked like alot more blood would be spilled tonight.

Pedro senses this, and made a beeline for the caravan, hiding himself inside and locking the door.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">(Declare combat actions. Larak will act immediatly if he choses to throw dynamite. The updated hexboard can be found Jak Snide&nbsp; Image at: 6/3/04 9:36 pm
[/i]

User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Run Forest Run

Unread postby Kelne » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:44 am

With the shot, Larak struck his match, applied it to the dynamite, and threw it straight at the middle of the group of foes. He then drew out his battleaxe from its loop on his belt, observing the results of his actions.


User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Run Forest Run

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:17 am

A bit surprised that Ratch would take such a risk with a partners life on the line, Carlton merely fell back as he saw Ree's capter do the same herself. HOwever, rather than nurse a shot arm, Carlton raised his staff to a position to allow for the best combination of whacking any attackers, while still allowing him to cast spells as needed on his comrads.


JoshuaDurron
 

Re: Run Forest Run

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:33 am

"What the-"

Things were happening entirely too fast for Ree's comfort at the moment. That he could very well have been shot seemed readily apparent to him, and he was not liking it one bit. He was liking the idea of this elf, still armed and likely to be out for blood even less. The presence of his quarter staff, not terribly threatening and dangling uselessly over his back at the moment, didn't help much. Besides, that wasn't a terribly threatening weapon.

He decided to favor his original plan, and stepped in closer to the elf, kicking the elf's dropped sword away as he did, passing her on one side and trusting that drawing a sword from its sheath was no more difficult that removing a purse from a belt...

(Pick Pocketing/General Theft attempt to steal the elf's other sword.)


Dark Xia
 

Re: Run Forest Run

Unread postby Dark Xia » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:35 pm

"Two more men are coming from down the road!" Saen got up on one knee and began casting a spell.

As the large man with the halbred grinned, Saen grinned back.

(Darkness bind, that guy)

Can't have him even THINKING about escaping from that... explodey stick.

"From the depths of hell, I conjure my spell, to fill peoples lives with misery..."

Edited by: Dark Xia at: 6/6/04 7:49 pm

Blaze Yamato Spirit
 

Re: Run Forest Run

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:40 pm

Valia had remained tense and silent throughout this whole ordeal. Recognising the gunshot as the signal that things were now already on a path she would rather they weren't, she withdrew her rod from its place at her waist and gripped it firmly. She would be unable to cast an effective spell on anyone until she could see, and she feared that that wouldn't happen, but she could at least cast some light...

She held out her spare hand, and concentrated on creating flame.

[Flame Tongue]


User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

Re: Run Forest Run

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:05 pm

Larak was delighted to see his projectile land at the feet of the heavily armoured bandit, who had a split second to gawk before it detonated. However, unlike the drow who'd fallen victim to this manner of attack before, the bandits somehow managed to charge out of the hail of flying dirt. They were injured, flesh scorched in locations, but it'd seemed that their simple armour had protected them just enough to keep them in fighting condition. As for the pole arm wielding one, he had been pitched off his feet and flung back a few feet. Sadly, he hefted himself up off ground, spouting a curse against Larak and his ancestors.

At this point Valia, quick to act, had completed her simple spell, summoning a tongue of fire a foot in length at her side. The sudden change in darkness may have been what saved Larak's hide, as he barely managed to parry aside a swing from the foremost of the bandits, who'd singled the dwarf out for vengeance.

Up on the roof of the caravan the leather clad and buxom figure of Saen wove her spell, the large bandit quickly finding himself once again the subject of misfortune, dark tendrils seemingly reaching out of the night and restraining him.

Misfortune visited again a mere moment later, although not for one of the bandits. Preoccupied with his attempt at thievery Ree never saw the bandit advance from behind. Thankfully he noticed the threat in time to avoid being impaled on the man's blade, but he didn't walk away unhurt, his misplaced attention earning him a gash across his side. It also proved enough of a distraction to prevent him relieving the elf of her other sword. She was injured and nursing her wound, but she wasn't so badly off that she couldn't dart aside.

Saen, marveling at her work, suddenly found herself face to face with possibly the ugliest man she'd ever seen, who'd taken the opportunity to clamber up the side of the caravan to assault her.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">(End of round 1. Ree takes 16 damage. New hexboard is Jak Snide&nbsp; Image at: 6/8/04 10:09 am
[/i]

User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Run Forest Run

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:27 am

Well, that hadn't been quite the effect Larak was hoping for. Still, he figured they could handle the bandits without further recourse to explosives. He circled around his opponent slightly, opening up some space for Carlton to get involved.

With luck, they'd be able to finish at least a couple before the reinforcements arrived, he reflected as he slashed at the bandit's leg. That ought to level the playing field.


Dark Xia
 

Re: Run Forest Run

Unread postby Dark Xia » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:57 am

"Heya, Handsome." She smiled in an angelic fashion. "Time for me to introduce you to the meaning of PAIN." Her face quickly changed to that of evil incarnate looking at a succulent victim.

With a motion of her hand she summoned tendrils of darkness, which shot out...

and engulfed her.

(Shadow guise)


PreviousNext

Return to Gaera Main RPs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Yalogank