The Mercenary RP.

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

Re: Confused

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:44 am

"Lil' old me?" the new arrival replied, placing her hand on lightly on her chest as if to indicate herself. "What ever gave you that idea?" she asked, smiling a little to avoid offending Valia.


Blaze Yamato Spirit
 

Re: Confused

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:36 am

Valia returned the favour, all the while thinking that the reason might be that if the woman wasn't, then she was just plain nosey.


User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

Re: Confused

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:42 am

Noting the silence, the first turned once again to Carlton.

"So, are you going to take the little rat off to the guards, or shall we handle him for you?"

The child murmured something, although his eyes remained closed. He'd probably regain consciousness soon and find himself in quite the predicament.


User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Confused

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:09 pm

Carlton thought for a minute, glancing at the child, before deciding the best course of action. Turning to the child, he gave him a bit of a look.

"I'm not exactly sure, Madam- I suppose it'll be up to him. Have you learned your lesson from this, child?"


User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

Re: Confused

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:15 pm

The child stirred, opening his eyes to the sound of Carlton's voice. He glanced around in a panicked manner, soon noting he was surrounded, although he did calm for a second when his dazed brain finally registered the healer's question.

In response the child kicked him in the shin, scrambled to his feet and bolted away.

Only to be hoisted off the ground by the back of his vest by the freckled woman, who held him at arms length, dangling in mid air, flailing wildly and still trying to escape the alley and her grasp.


FlamingDeth
Moderator
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:54 am

Re: Confused

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:15 am

Ratch really had little he needed to do in town. As such, when he concluded his conversation with the merchent, he retired for the evening.


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Moving on...

Unread postby Kelne » Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:45 pm

Since Saen hadn't made any objection, Larak headed into the general store, perusing the shelves for anything interesting as he made his way up to the counter. It was unlikely that explosives would be left out where anyone could get at them, after all.


User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

Re: Confused

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:13 pm

The store stock was purely of the mundane variety; pots and pans, common spices, trail rations, extra long lengths of rope and so on. From his observations of the store from the outside, though, Larak guessed that the place almost certainly had a back room, the building being two leveled and the shop itself only taking up a little less than half the ground floor. If he was going to find anything of interest he'd have to ask at the counter. The wares on the shelves were of little interest; after all, Pedro's caravan stocked what was displayed here, and more.


User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Confused

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:39 pm

Biting his tongue from making a remark he'd likely regret later, Carlton just rubbed his kicked shin a bit. "Well, if that's the way you're going to be, maybe a chat with the gaurd could do you some good..." He nodded to the woman, indicating he had made up his mind.


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Confused

Unread postby Kelne » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:23 pm

Larak made his way up to the counter, catching the eye of the person behind it. "Afternoon," He said cheerfully, "Would ye have anything in the way of explosives?"


Dark Xia
 

Re: Confused

Unread postby Dark Xia » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:57 pm

Having been occpied with her wishful search, SAen had been losti n thought for a moment, and by the time Larak'swords reached her conscious mind he had disappeared... somewhere...

"Oh well..." She gave a small sigh. "Mhh... comon, I-"

She paused, no, it isn't a good idea to say you have a lot of money in the middle of a crowd.

Glancing around one more time, trying to see if she could spot Larak, but to no avail. Saen decided to go off on her own then, they knew to meet back at the wagon.

Maybe I'll have better luck searching on my own...

(And so one last search for a store/street vendor that sells that nifty leather outfit she's been dreaming of or the other exotic items. Using that skill we spoke of at the max rank, 3, I think.)


JoshuaDurron
 

Re: Confused

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:27 am

As Ree waited just beyond the corner of the alley, he had to try very hard to restrain his snickers. Apparently, one of his fellow mercinaries had tried to play the good samaratin, and gotten just what he should have expected for his efforts.

I wonder if I could swindle him without any ill will...


User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

Re: Confused

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:06 pm

Valia noticed the half-elf smile, amused by the desperate child. The red haired human, however, merely scowled at the kid.

"We'll take him in for you" she offered, extending the length she held the boy at as he tried to swat at her face.

---

An old man, with barely a hair left on his head, leaned over the counter to get a better view of the stout dwarf.

"Explosives? Haven't had demand fer those fer a good, long time. Don't mean I dun have them, though. Well, maybe it does, but I'll check fer ye."

He hobbled off into the back room, leaving Larak waiting for a good few minutes. Eventually he returned, stroking his bald chin.

"Well, looks like we got a stick o' TNT left over from the last mithril rush. If y'want it I'll sell it fer 60 gil."

---

The closest Saen came to finding what she desired was a set of leather armor crafted for the well proportioned lady. It seemed like luck just wasn't with her today. Still, it did have a number of rivets in it, and while it wasn't what she was looking for it'd probably provide a bit more protection than her current suit, even if it did lack that certain visual appeal.


Dark Xia
 

Re: Confused

Unread postby Dark Xia » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:33 pm

Whining to herself she stared long and hard at the suit, ignoring whoever was selling it even. First her hands were seemingly clenched and held up together just under her chin as she tried to decide. Then she crossed her arms, her gaze still fixated on the armor. Finally her hands were behind her back, her whole body twtiching a little, and wings flapping a bit as she tried to decide...


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Confused

Unread postby Kelne » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:35 pm

"Aye, I'll take it," Larak said, fishing out the requisite payment. He'd been hoping for more than a single stick, but he'd take what he could get.


Dark Xia
 

Re: Confused

Unread postby Dark Xia » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:50 pm

"Why is life soooooooo UNFAIR!" She let out her rage in one loud yell, then immeaitely cooled down. "How much for that?" She asked the seller and pointed at the armour, hoping that the price would at least be cheap for that crude piece of work.


Blaze Yamato Spirit
 

Re: Confused

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:36 am

Valia nodded to the angry woman.

'Right, then. Well, if you have it covered, I'll be on my way. Are you coming?' She asked, giving her fellow mercenary a look.


User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

Re: Confused

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:35 pm

The old man smiled kindly, nodding his head in appreciation to the dwarf and then headed off once again to fetch his purchase. He took a little less time than before, but it was worth the wait. Larak had increased his stock of explosives up to an acceptable four sticks.

---

The seller, a spindly young lad looked at the armour, back at Saen, and then back to the suit of leather again. He'd already looked more than a little disturbed when she'd released her frustrated yell, and he didn't look any better now.

"Er, s'eighty five gil, miss." he replied, voice lowered as if he expected another outburst from the oddity that was Saen.


Dark Xia
 

Re: Confused

Unread postby Dark Xia » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:58 pm

"... sold." Her face had become so cheerful that not a trace of her anguish remained.

MUHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, these poor poor people.. mhh... I feel so rich now. Barely a drop in the bucket.

"Oh and sorry if I was acting a bit strange, I was jsut thinking a bit too out loud." She waved her hand, as if she was trying to use magic to dismiss it all from the lad's mind.


User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

Re: Confused

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat May 01, 2004 9:12 am

The lad simply nodded, clearly still disturbed even as he took her money and removes the suit of leather from display. A minute later Saen was out on the street with a new set of armor.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">(It's up to you if she changed into it or not, Xia)</span>


Dark Xia
 

Re: Confused

Unread postby Dark Xia » Sat May 01, 2004 8:45 pm

Saen did indeed change into it, no reason having such an unstylish thing if she didn't wear it. She sighed as she thoguht of her old outfit, which was now neatly folded away. For a moment she thought to look for Larak, but knew they were going to meet at the same destination. Thus she began to make her way back to the caravan.


User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Confused

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed May 05, 2004 3:27 pm

Carlton nodded to the woman. He felt sorry for the boy, but he had his chance- Now he was going to learn a lesson. Simply turning to leave the alley, he did so, wondering how much time was left before he was to meet with the others again.


User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

Re: Confused

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed May 05, 2004 3:51 pm

Valia and Carlton parted ways with the two ladies, who remained in place and silent for a few moments. Ree, still hiding and listening, noted well what came next.

"Come inside" he heard the ginger haired one say to the other. "Seems like this ones needs a lesson in who's in charge in these parts."


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Confused

Unread postby Kelne » Fri May 07, 2004 6:20 am

(OOC: three sticks, by my count.)

Larak stowed the stick of dynamite away in his pouch and, after thanking the old man, made his way back out onto the streets. He figured he'd stroll about for a while, then head back to meet up with the others.


JoshuaDurron
 

Re: Confused

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Fri May 07, 2004 5:19 pm

If anyone could have seen him at the moment, they probably wouldn't have stuck around to take a second look. Ree's face had pulled into a scowl, and his eyes stared blankly, as his thoughts tried to form a solid idea of who was who, and what was what here.

Were the two pickpockets were connected? Or was one upset with the other muscling in on her turf? If it was the latter, then it meant nothing. But if the two were connected... the ladies words suggested an organization of some sort...

Listening for signs that the other three were still beyond the alley, Ree considered the meaning of what he suspected. At the very least, those crates were becoming more interesting.


User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

Re: Confused

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri May 07, 2004 6:38 pm

All that Ree heard was the sound of two sets of footsteps moving into the building, followed by that of a door shutting. The alley was empty now, and the young boy's prospects were looking grim. Whether Ree cared or not was another matter.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">(Noted, Kelne)</span>

Edited by: Jak Snide&nbsp; Image at: 5/7/04 7:16 pm

JoshuaDurron
 

Re: Confused

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Fri May 07, 2004 9:58 pm

Ree casually strolled out into the alley and proceeded to investigate the crates. If possible, he would appriciate poking his nose into one or two of them, keeping an eye out for possible booby traps as he did so.


User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

Re: Confused

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat May 08, 2004 2:12 pm

Whether the crates were trapped or not was something Ree was unable to tell. The only indication as to what they held was the markings on the side, which designated most of them as tea, coffee and foodstuffs. There was one or two unmarked crates along with them. As for what they actually contained, Ree didn't have the means to find out. All the crates were nailed shut, and he doubted he'd be able to pry them open with his bare hands.


JoshuaDurron
 

Re: Confused

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon May 10, 2004 10:07 am

Hm... don't want to leave to much trace of my presence.

Ree skulked down to the doorway and looked it over once. Mayhap I should learn more of my fellow tradesmen in this town... With that thought in mind, he leaned over to the door and pressed his ear to the door, being ready to move fast if he heard someone coming towards the door, and play it casual. There might be something to hear in this place...


User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

Re: Confused

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed May 12, 2004 7:43 pm

The first thing that Ree heard was the sound of another door closing. Then silence. They'd moved away from the room immediately beyond the door he was at, it seemed.


JoshuaDurron
 

Re: Confused

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon May 17, 2004 10:25 am

The drow heaved a sigh. For the most part, the day had been unproductive, and it didn't look like that would be changing any time soon. He decided to make the most of it, and ambled his way back to where the caravan was stopped. He didn't want to be late for the guard shift, that might raise uncomfortable questions.


User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

Time skip!

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon May 17, 2004 8:52 pm

The night passed without a hitch, the mercenaries guarding the caravan in pairs, spanning three shifts through the twilight hours. Ratch and Valia took the first shift, and noticed a fair number of shady characters scoping out the caravan. No attempts of thievery were made, though; the pair of them was enough to scare off anyone interested, it seemed. The next shift was taken by Larak and Saen, who only observed a single pair of suspicious characters. When it finally came to Carlton and Ree's shift all the scum in town had realized that there were easier targets to pick on, resulting in an uneventful third shift.

Early in the morning they were on the road once again, leaving the town of Chaucer behind them, along with whatever shady dealings it may have held. Heading West along the Doma-Kohlignen road was, for the most part, uneventful. They did pass by a fellow merchant caravan, though. Or, rather, a trio of them, sporting a score of guards. Judging by their matching green and black garments the group drew the conclusion that they must be a mercenary company, or the retainers of a particularly wealthy merchant. A few of them greeted them as they passed, and warned them that there'd been more reports of banditry along the road in the past week.

Hours later, as night approached, the caravan rumbled on. Pedro had asked one of the stronger mercs to guide the two horses that pulled the wagon while he slept inside. The others, either walking beside on riding on it figured the tales mention of highwaymen had led to the decision that they wouldn't be stopping for the night. At least, that was what the Inustani merchant had planned. None of them could have foreseen that nasty pothole, concealed by the growing darkness, which caught one of the wheels, snapping the axle and leaving the wagon immobilized in the middle of the road. The jolt caused the chocobos to panic, and they almost slipped their reigns and ran away. Pedro was shaken by the jolt as well, burst out of the back door of the wagon, screaming something in Inustani. Ratch, who fancied himself as somewhat of a linguistic, understood the temporarily deranged merchant, who was shouting curses and prayers to ward off demons.


FlamingDeth
Moderator
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:54 am

Re: Confused

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon May 17, 2004 9:09 pm

Snickering to himself, the gunman surveyed the damage to wagon, and then looked to the road immediately behind them. Prayers to "ward off demons", indeed...it wasn't gremlins that sabotaged the wagon, just a broken road. However, he had enough sense about him to know that they would spend far more time here than they had hoped.

"Well then..." said Ratch, turning to his companions to speak before rummaging through the supplies, checking to see if they had a spare axle. "I don't suppose someone here is a master carpenter or the like..."


Dark Xia
 

Re: Confused

Unread postby Dark Xia » Tue May 18, 2004 10:39 pm

"Takes more thana master carpenter to repair something if we don't have replacement parts." Saen sighed and aided in the search. "We'll need a miracle. Oh and by the way... comrades, I'd be on the look out while we're doing this, who knows if the bandits have several holes that they come to check on through the night, or if they're just watching one, this one, and are outside right at this moment."

Saen sighed again, life had definitely been too easy for her as of late, OF COURSE it was about to throw something nasty at herself.



Edited by: Dark Xia at: 5/18/04 10:43 pm

User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Confused

Unread postby Kelne » Tue May 18, 2004 11:07 pm

"Ah, ye worry too much, lass," Larak said complacently, "There's enough potholes in the road that the bandits can't watch 'em all. O' course, if we stay here long enough, we're bound to attract attention." He shrugged philosophically, "Not much we can do about it except be ready for trouble if it comes."

He headed over towards the wrecked wagon, finishing over his shoulder, "I'll have a look at the axle. Shouldn't be too hard to fix provided we've got the parts. Take a while, though."


JoshuaDurron
 

Re: Confused

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Wed May 19, 2004 10:11 am

Ree rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "If nothing else, we should be able to get an axle from a local farm. I think we passed a few..."

And I might be able to lightfinger a few other things there as well...

For the time being, the drow let the others rumage through the wagons, while he considered whether they really were vulnerable in this spot. His familiarity with both sides of law enforcement should make potential ambushes at least a little more apparent...


FlamingDeth
Moderator
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:54 am

Re: Confused

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed May 19, 2004 8:02 pm

"Really pragmatic, chief..." said Ratch, still looking for an axle in their own supplies. "Does anyone remember how far back the last farm was?"


User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

Re: Confused

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed May 19, 2004 8:45 pm

"I'm doubtful that any farmer would give away an axle freely" the merchant commented, having just finished checking his supplies in vain. Apparently he'd forgotten to bring spares, which seemed strange, since wagon breakdowns were not uncommon and often disastrous.

Larak, upon inspecting the axle, saw that it had snapped a fair bit in toward the middle of it. It was a clean break, however, and given some time he could patch it up, provided he had the proper tools. They'd have to take it slow, though.

As for Carlton and Boreas, Ratch's question jolted their memories. They'd both spotted a small farmstead a mile back, a ways off the road. It'd probably take them an hour to get there, however.


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Confused

Unread postby Kelne » Wed May 19, 2004 9:34 pm

Larak strolled back to the main group, reporting his findings, "Well, I can jury rig a fix, but we won't be goin' anywhere fast even when it's done." That said, he began rummaging through the supplies in search of tools.


User avatar
Jak Snide
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:14 am
Location: London

Re: Confused

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed May 19, 2004 11:41 pm

Thankfully, it turned out that Pedro had enough presence of mind to pack some basic tools with him for patching up any broken boards and the like. It wasn't what Larak was hoping for, but it'd do.

Those others who cared enough to take a proper look at their surroundings noticed the sheer intensity of the darkness tonight, a quarter moon occasionally making an appearance from behind the clouds above and slightly brightening the terrain. Larak and Boreas, however, belonged to races far more used to low light conditions than the surface dwelling races, and didn't have as much trouble as their comrades in observing the land around them. This section of the road ran between two sets of foothills, with a small ditch running along the Southern side. Ree, perceptive as always, could make out what he thought was woodlands far to the South of their position, elevated slightly enough to peek out above the foothills.


PreviousNext

Return to Gaera Main RPs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Yalogank