Under the Night Sky (Closed Freestyle RP)

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
Mechanisto

Re: Under the Night Sky (Closed Freestyle RP)

Unread postby Mechanisto » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:05 pm

The boy made no move against her. He only seemed to be looking at her eyes. Not her hand, or her body, or anything she was wearing; just her eyes. And it was a strangely piercing stare. Whatever he was thinking he obviously wasn't eager to start a fight. It was impossible to tell what he suspected, or why; but it probably hadn't been any of the usual features.

His eyes shifted up and down her for a moment, then to the crowd. He seemed to come to a silent conclusion, and went back to watching Father Werner. Nobody else had even noticed the little exchange between them, and that seemed to be the end of it.

...though it seemed like he was glancing in her direction every now and then.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:50 pm

<span style="font-family:century gothic; color:maroon;">"Sister! Sister Marissa!"

Finn jogged over to his sibling in Kalcya. "Oh, I've been searching all about for you. There is a young man here of odd origins, and he is in dire need of some warm garments. Can you assist me?"</span>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:16 pm

Turning her attention from the painting, Sister Marissa looks at the dwarf. "A visitor, you say? This sounds interesting. Could you direct me to him?"

Kaname, due to her posturing and glances toward Nieb, doesn't have time to really get a sense of what the scroll says before the older priest closes it. "Interesting, interesting indeed..." he mutters, the looks at Nieb and offers a warm smile. "Don't you worry, son," he says in a fathery voice, "We'll look after you."

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:30 am

<span style="font-family:century gothic; color:maroon;">"Yes, of course! This way!" Finn pointed the way and began to hustle off in that direction, in his usual waddling way.

Oh my... he thought to himself. I'm going to wear myself out if I keep walking all over this human sized place!</span>

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:56 am

Nieb responded to the tone of the Father's voice with the slightest of smiles, and his posture seemed to relax just an iota. But the smile was quite heartfelt, and his comfort genuine. He removed his hat, revealing a short crop of unruly black hair; his youth was much more apparent without it.

He took a more leisurely look at the people around him So strange... but there must be plenty to learn from these people. There always is.

Besides... how hard could it be?

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:28 am

Damn. I should have paid more attention to the document, and less to the kid. He probably wasn't a threat anyways.

Kaname allowed her guard to relax, and promptly ignored the four armed boy, at least as much as was possible when she intended to discuss him. "So who is he?" The question was obviously directed at the one person present who would know. Kaname waited paintently to see if Father Werner would answer it or not.

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:27 pm

"Our faith is quite an old one," Father Werner says, and he puts the scroll away; intending it to look over it again later, "Very old, and once more widespread than nowadays. It seems our young friend came from a monastery that all but Our Lady forgot. "

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:41 pm

"An out-of-towner, huh? Explains the language."

Kaname left it at that, and stepped back a bit. The more room between the boy's quarterstaff and herself the better. And she kept one hand near her shuriken holsters. She didn't like the way he kept looking at her.

Relax, she told herself. Don't forget why you came here. You want to see the comet, not to worry about freaks that may or may not be other necromantics.

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:56 pm

Hmn...he doesn't look that much older than me..., Mina thought absentmindedly, as she continued to listen intently to the priest's words about him.

"Our faith is quite an old one...Very old, and once more widespread than nowadays. It seems our young friend came from a monastery that all but Our Lady forgot. "

Bringing forth the courage to ask the question, Mina spoke up and asked, politely, "Do you know where the monastery is?"

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:42 pm

"In the mountains to the east," answers the old priest. "The Shumans, by the look of it. But I may have it wrong, not the sort of maps I stare at, you know." He chuckles at his own joke.

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:47 pm

Nieb seemed to focus on the conversation for a moment. "'Vashû-Maan'? Odu-rô-dutåo."

Uncle Pervy

And Bes is the first victim of the Broom

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:15 pm

Sister Marissa goes to follow Finn, leaving Asuka alone for the moment. "Go get something warm for our Guest, Sister Asuka," Marissa calls back.

Perhaps a bit reluctant to leave her work, Asuka sets aside her pallete and brush, and scurries off to fullfil her superior's request.

As Nieb asks his question, Finn and Sister Marissa enter the forechapel. The blonde priestess arcs an eyebrow, and says, "Hmmm..."

"I suppose you recognize it?" Father Werner asks.

"Yes," answers Sister Marissa. "It's a dead language, essentially. Some varient of Marispolan, I think."

"I would expect no less of the archives director," Father Werner says with a shake of his head.

Sister Marissa approaches Nieb, and looks him in the eye, offering a friendly smile. "=You're a long way from home, aren't you,=" she says in his own langauge.

(Bes: Have Asuka come in with aforementioned garments whenever you get the notion.)

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Re: And Bes is the first victim of the Broom

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:30 pm

Jifael continued his movements through the gathering. Despite seeing many precious and tempting items that he could have easily stolen he kept himself in check, it was too risky on such a high profile night. Instead he kept up his act of pious detachment and decided to see if there was anything that could amuse him. He found himself at the cluster around the newcomer, and stood there listening to the other members of his clergy attempts to communicate with the stranger.

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:02 pm

Mina looked around at the crowd, trying to see if she saw anybody she knew. Soon, she noticed Jifael. While she didn't know him too well, he seemed nice enough. Turning towards the priest, she waved her greetings. "Hello," she said cheerfully.

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:06 pm

Nieb's whole face brightened visibly as Sister Marissa spoke; he nodded enthusiastically.

"=Geographically, yes... but with your words, it seems much closer now.=" He straightened his back a bit, taking a very rigid, respectful stance. "=I am Nieb, of the Ur-Ogana Sect of Kalyca; patron of the circle of dust, and student of the art of Silent Mist. I have been charged by my master to seek out the center of gathering for our faith, and continue my spiritual growth there. As well, I am to serve in whatever capacity our spiritual leaders deem nessecary.="

Nieb paused for a moment, after the words finished tumbling out. "=...er... this is the center of gathering for our faith, I hope? Your... sort of... the first person I've talked to since I left my monastary." He looked just a tiny bit embarrased.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:15 pm

<span style="font-family:century gothic; color:maroon;">Finn observed the conversation in bewilderment.

"Er... uh... what did he say, Sister?", he asked sheepishly. "I didn't catch... well, any of that..."</span>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:33 am

"In short," Sister Marissa says, "He seems to be from an old community that shut itself away. It was a popular trend in the faith some centuries ago, to create a community that was seperate from the outworld, and thus had no effect on the pieces that make up the Balance. Most died out, it sees that this young man, Nieb, comes from one that has not."

She then looks to Nieb, and says, "=Well...I suppose that you'll find this is the closest we have. The faith is not quite so prevalent as it was in the past. But, I welcome you to Orbonne Cathedral, Nieb. I suppose our first task will be to teach you how to speak common, rather than the Marispolan dialect you know. My name is Sister Marissa, than that is Father Werner before you. Brother Finn is the dwarf, while Sister Mina is the young girl. That is brother Jifael who just entered.="

In the meantime, Father Werner simply shakes his head. "Talented, no?" he says to no one in particular.

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:54 pm

Nieb bowed deeply after the brief introductions were complete. "=I am eager to obey, your eminence...=" He glanced about at the others she'd introduced. "=...Of those you named, I shall take the sister Mina as my guide and master. I do not wish to consume the time of a higher ranking priest.="

Before Sister Marissa could respond, he turned to Mina and gave her one of his deep, respectful bows. "=I am honored to offer my humble service, in exchange for your knowledge and experience. I will do everything in my power to act as a loyal servant and student, deserving of your teaching.="

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=mechanistox>MechanistoX</A]&nbsp; Image at: 1/20/04 5:56 pm

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:15 pm

Looking a bit off guard, Sister Marissa looks at Mina and says, "He said that he offers his services in exchange for your knowledge and experience. Well, I think he wants you to teach him Common..."

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:25 pm

Kaname had gotten herself into a comfortable slouch while waiting for the translater to show up, and once she had, she had learned almost nothing of interest. That was what she got for eavesdropping on priests when she had just come to look at some stars.

With a grunt, she turned to Mina and commented, "Congradulations. You've earned yourself a champion."

Not terribly enthralled with the conversation now, she headed back to her corner to retrieve her bag. Best to be armed with that four armed fellow looking at her askance.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:41 pm

<span style="font-family:century gothic; color:maroon;">"Now, miss," Finn said to the seemingly rude Kaname, "You don't really need to be having such an attitude over such things. Now why don't you just calm down, and maybe have a seat? Mmm?"</span>

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kingofdoma>KingOfDoma</A] at: 1/20/04 11:31 pm

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:41 am

Ah, a peacemaker. Joy.

Kaname affected her best smile, which wasn't very good considering the mask on her suit was still pulled up over her face.

"Of course, brother, I wouldn't mean any offense at all, but where it is necessary to balance one given. Now that all is as it should be, I see no reason not to return to the purpose I came here for, which is to watch the stars, of course." It's hard to tell by her tone of voice whether her statement is serious or not.

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:42 am

Mina was a bit...well, confused about Kaname's statement. She had no idea what she meant, exactly...

However, she turned her attention to Nieb and the clergy near him once more. "Well...I'm not sure how much help I would be...," she started, "...but I guess I can help, a little."

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:38 pm

Nieb nodded at Sister Marissa, but his voice sounded negative. "=For language, or any other study, I will follow whatever teacher you wish... a true scholar would be best. But in the meantime, I will still need someone to guide me about the grounds, show me the basic duties of the cathedral. And even after I have learned your language, I shall continue follow her, to practice it more fully.="

"=That is, of course, if she has the time...?="

Uncle Pervy

Short post of OMFG LAZY

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:54 pm

Sister Marissa translates this for Mina. "It seems he trusts someone close to his age to show him around," she adds.

"Well well, let's be off then," Father Werner says, "Don't want to miss this comet now, do we? It's only been a few centuries in coming and I, for one, don't intend to be around for the next one!"

With that, he begins to make his way. "I'll help you understand him for a while, I suppose," Sister Marissa says, before she goes to follow the high priest.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Re: Short post of OMFG LAZY

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:56 pm

<span style="font-family:century gothic; color:maroon;">"Aye," agreed Finn. "I cannot wait to see what milady Kalcya has in store for us this night..."</span>

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kingofdoma>KingOfDoma</A] at: 1/21/04 9:56 pm

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:06 pm

Nieb quickly picked up his worldly posessions once more, slinging his staff across his back. He tilted his hat down over his face again, and followed the others closely without a word.

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:00 am

Kaname took up her bag with an easy lift, and slung it over one shoulder. It looked like a new viewing area would be needed, she had failed to notice that a tree was blocking her vision from her old corner. Other matters had occupied her mind at the time.

Looking curiously at the dwarf, she decided that now was as fine a time as any to ask something that had been on her mind for some time.

After all, he looks more levelheaded than the rest. He probably won't be entertaining, so I might as well use him to learn something.

"You refer to Kalyca as 'milady'. I've heard several others do so on the few occasions I've been here. Why? It would seem to me that Balance would dictate there be no difference between one person and another, or even a human and a greater being."

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:39 am

<span style="font-family:century gothic; color:maroon;">Finn just kind of looked curiously at Kaname, and gave her an odd smile. "You really like controversy, don't you miss?"</span>

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:16 am

Kaname gave another invisible, but wicked grin, the effects of which were visible in her eyes.

"Controversy, my dear friend, is proof that balance is actually in effect."

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:48 pm

<span style="font-family:century gothic; color:maroon;">A smile slowly manifested itself under Finn's thick beard. "Heh... is that wisdom or insolence manifesting itself?"

"But," he sighed, "to answer your question, Kalcya herself maintains the balance, not us. We alone could not hope to do what she does. So, we give her the credit and respect due to her."</span>

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:06 pm

Mina nodded quickly, before following off to the others. She adjusted her pace so she was soon walking near Nieb. She waved a greeting to him, and waited for him to respond. For now, it would seem that she'll have to depend on non-verbal communication...

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:10 am

Whoever said wisdom and insolence were mutually exclusive?

Out loud, Kaname replied in a mystified tone, "I thought that the teaching was that Kalyca did nothing, because balance would maintain itself..."

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:43 am

Nieb responded to Mina with a nod, and a warm smile; it was a simple enough gesture, but immediately understandable.

he glanced briefly at kaname, but spoke to Sister Marissa. "=Pardon... but what are those two speaking about?="

Choark

Old man post

Unread postby Choark » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:52 am

Andy stared at a painting. He had been doing for a while now, ever since he shoo'ed a young 'un to the night sky. He knew the painting half by heart and could tell anyone who wanted to ask every small detail the painter had put into the piece.

But he knew now that for the last few years he hadn't looked at the painting at all but had been looking at its memory. Now as his walked past he had forgotten the small expression of the woman in the painting and had peered up to see it. All he saw was a blur. A fuzz of an image where small details were mixed together so you could not make one out from the other.

His heart had been saddened when he relised this. He was not a man who followed the arts, but he knew a good woman when he saw her, and this one was. Or so he remembered. Now he eyes had failed him and he couldn't see the beauty the painter had managed to mirror on the paper. At first he had tried to blame the fact he was tired but when was he not tired these days? When was it last he didn't feel his hands and sholders drag him down under there weight? When was it last his sholders didn't feel painful to even move?

He had played the old fool for a while and now, he thought bitterly, it soon wil grab him and he'll forget what is an act and what is him trying to cover his growing weakness. Strong and proud to foolish and old. There was balance right there, he thought as he once again moved through the Cathedral.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=choark>Choark</A]&nbsp; Image at: 1/24/04 12:02 pm

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Re: Old man post

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:59 pm

<span style="font-family:century gothic; color:maroon;">"If she doesn't, then who does?"</span>

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:14 am

"I would have thought," Kaname replied, "that balance would maintain itself. After all, if you balance two weights on a scale, will they not stay balanced with no help from you?"

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:43 am

<span style="font-family:century gothic; color:maroon;">"That is true... but Kalcya IS the scale. Think on that..."

Heh... she might leave it at that, bemused Finn. But, probably not.</span>

Uncle Pervy

BROOM AHOY; Also please ignore the campiness. :(

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:38 am

"I believe it's rather arrogant to think Our Lady alone controls the whole of the balance," Father Werner says. "It really does make the other deities seem needless. Much healthier to think all contribute in some way. Or so I feel. Our Lady simply realizes the relation between the Balance and all else a bit better, and has no qualms with sharing that knowledge."

With Nieb and Mina, Sister Marissa nods to the Former. "=Just a theological debate,=' she says.

Heading outside, the various group find themselves spots to watch the coming spectacle. Andrew, being the sort he is, happens to be by a window when the time comes. This is of course a coincidence. After all, why would he make it a special point to be at a window at 11:13 in the evening, when the comet was scheduled to come? Just a coincidence.

The rest, save perhaps for Jifael, find it's not hard to make themselves comfortable, and perhaps even feel a bit at ease in Kaname's case. Those who would delight in it will find that Sister Lorietta brought some hard cider to share with her brethern in need of something to keep them warm. Nieb will find that a nekojin give him some robes; sadly designed for two-armed people, before returning to her eisel. He will also find himself attracting many stares. Foreigners are likely rare, he concludes.

As 11:13 draws near, eyes are drawn upwards. And, on schedule and without warning, it appears. A flash of green, emerging from the constellation of the shield. It streaks across the sky, it's light bright enough to cast a weak shadows upon the ground. For a moment, a hardly more than an eye-blink, its tail covers a signicant portion of the sky, connecting the second brightest star of the Shield Constellation with the brightest star of the Tome Constellation.

Then it is gone, not to be seen again for centuries. Already, the nekojin is busy painting the comet's path upon her skyscape. Two Astronomers begin to compare results on their timing of the Comet's passing, and quickly fall into a mild argument when they find a second-long discrepancy. Several others are adjusting their telescopes to track the comet as it continues away from Gaera, and toward the outer reaches of Gaera's system, before it is gone from sight of the most precise optics.

Not long afterwards, Father Werner calls the gathered people to the Cathedral itself. Unlike the viewing, all are expected to attend without exception. Thus, the cathedral is soon full, as Father Werner goes to the podium.

The Cathedral itself is surprisingly spartan, when compared to those of other faiths. A statue of an older woman, her eyes covered with a simple blindfold, presides over the far end of the chapel, a representation of Kalyca herself. Tradition differs in opinion as to why the Goddess is always depicted with a blindfold. Some say it represents her faith in the Balance, that she need not watch it at all. Others claim that it is representative of the orderly nature of the heavens. Still others claim it stand for having knowledge and understanding beyond sight.

The ceiling above the podium is glass, allowing the moonlight to shine in. It is said that one with Kalyca's blessings can work miracles from the podium while bathed in that light. Those who have studied such history wuld find a long list of such, stretching back over a millenia credibly, then further back into history that must be accepted on faith alone.

The embedded columns that support the arches above each bear the silver-inlaid insignia of a constellation, in a style that is out of date by some centuries. The windows are simple, clear glass allowing a view outside, toward the heavens. Icons of saints are placed near the altar, a few with ages comparable to many of Igala's nations; one whose name has been forgotten to history and tradition alike.

Those who went to meet Nieb will find that circumstances force them to share a pew as they enter, putting them right beside a man who happens to be Brother Andrew. Some, especially Nieb, will note that Sister Marissa is not with them as they sit; it seems she has slipped away. However, there is not much time to search or make inquiries, as Father Werner begins his sermon.

He begins his sermon by recounting the prior passings of the comet, and events and phemonia known to accompany it. He does not get very far, before a white-clad acolyte comes to their pew, and addresses them softly, trying not to disrupt the sermon.

"I'm sorry to bother you...but we have something of a problem. There have been some...noises in the reliquary. Sister Marissa went to investigate, and...well...she's not returned. Brother Andrew, I know you would be able to deal with any difficulties that come up, and Brother Jifael's thoroughness should be of aid, yes? Sister Mina and Sister Kamane, your songs and watchful eye would help if...well...something goes wrong. Brother Finn, you know the cathedral's layout as well as any. And...I think that the four-armed man can hold his own, right?"

It's clear that the youth is a bit distraught as he goes on. "I know Sister Marissa wouldn't miss the sermon, and I'm sorry to ask you all. But...well...I'm sure I heard something odd in there. I really don't want to bother anyone higher up, given the significance of the night..."

He seems to be at something of a loss for anything more to say, as he awaits an answer. However, anyone who has spent time at Orbonne cathedral knows that access to the Reliquary is seldom given. They would also be aware of the rumors that valuable, of not priceless, relics lay within. In particular, Jifael has likely paid attention to such tales. Though getting in was always a problem beforehand. But now...

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Re: BROOM AHOY; Also please ignore the campiness. :(

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:27 pm

<span style="font-family:century gothic; color:maroon;">In a whisper, Finn said, "Sister Marissa? Ah, well... I'd be glad to help. The rest of you folks in?"

I wonder if the mouthy one will come with us?</span>

PreviousNext

Return to Gaera Main RPs