Fury of the Storm (PS, Closed)

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Re: What can I say, I got sick of the current title

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:14 am

Kelne's search for a place to stay ended with no result- Every Inn was booked with out-of-towners. Not that there where many Inns to begin with. It still seemed suspicious though, the group had yet to see any other travelers, although it would be logical to assume that they quartered themselves up in their rooms, not being used to the constantly pounding rain and the flash of lightning that came all too often in this city.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Re: What can I say, I got sick of the current title

Unread postby Kelne » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:16 am

Of course, logic was all very well, but it couldn't hold a candle to paranoia. Kelne found it extremely difficult to believe that every single foreigner had chosen to stay in their rooms, as opposed to venturing into the common room for some ale and to check out the competition. No, the foreigners, if there were any other than those he had arrived with (he was already beginning to suspect there weren't), were being put together in the Storm's Eye.

Of course, given the heavy-handed approach, they'd be fully aware that anybody with half a brain could figure out what was going on. So they'd be watching everyone's reaction to the knowledge they were being put somewhere they could be watched. Which meant that he'd have to go along, but have a place to fall back to when it all went horribly wrong. Inverse would probably have that covered, he decided. Certainly Kelne himself wouldn't be able to arrange such a bolt-hole unobtrusively.

With his exploration done for now, Kelne meandered his way back towards the Storm's Eye, keeping an eye out for the others as he went. They'd probably make their way there as the situation became apparent anyway.

Uncle Pervy

Short post. Need sleep

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:45 am

"Kelne," Came the voice of Inverse from behind. He had found the man moments before he reached the Storm's Eye doors.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Re: Short post. Need sleep

Unread postby Capntastic » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:27 am

Kyle merely waited, watching the two spar. It would have been rude to interrupt. He whispered to Reako:
"How far do you think we will get?"

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Re: Short post. Need sleep

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:53 pm

(Kelne thinks FAR too much like Blaze.)

'Who knows?' He replied with a smile. 'I certainly haven't thought of anything truly worthwhile yet. I'm sure something will come to me before the tournament's end, should I get that far.'

Edited by: Blaze Yamato Spirit at: 9/23/03 2:00 pm

FlamingDeth

Re: Point: EVERYONE BUT VINCE :(

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:08 pm

Kumiko remained in the registration office for a short time, using that moment to study the dark man. She suspected he was kept here as security, or something very similar, but she was quite supicious about him. If he was the man she thought he was...

It didn't matter at the moment, though, as she had to catch up with the rest of the group. She left the office, and followed a path very similar to the others who had searched for lodgings, and naturally ended up in the same place, and naturally determined that it was no accident that they were being herded here. Noting the slimehalf's presence, she walked in and looked around. They would likely have a meeting of sorts soon anyways, to discuss what to do about Vaniyakna's little accomodations.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:22 pm

While the others had been going about their various activites, Jak had wondered off in search of a shop which dealt in the magical and arcane. The prospect of having to face people without a good few meat shields to soak up the hits put him ill at ease, and he knew he'd have to find some way to enhance his chances of winning.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:36 pm

Inverse, Kumiko, and Kelne now stood outside, about 15 feet away from the entrance to the Storms Eye. Within the Inn itself, the woman went oddly quiet, as if thinking about something- Her sudden loss of interest in the conversation seemed rather strange to Blaze, maybe enough to give him a bit of an uneasy feeling.

----------

The two men continued to spar, neither of which seeming to notice Kyle or Reako.

---------

Jak soon found what he was looking for- A shop for the the arcane arts. The woman behind the desk was dressed similiarly to him, except her robes where a deep blue with the design of lightning bolts all around them, and her hat was a dark gray color to match the clouds outside the store. She looked up and smiled beneath the shadows of her hat at him, and spoke in a relatively light East Barian accent- "How can I help you today, fellow practitioner of the mystical arts?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:56 pm

Jak smiled to himself. He liked this place instantly. He'd never been fond of places that institutionalised magic, feeling that they made the ability to wield magic more something that could be taught, rather than that which only the gifted obtained.

"I was hoping to find an item which contains protective magics which would guard against various forms of physical harm. Also, if you happen to have any wands which could summons creatures to aid the wielder, I would be interested in purchasing those as well."

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:15 pm

The elven priestess merely wandered to the entrance and motioned for the others to enter, though she doubted it was necessary. After all, even neither of them were stupid enough to just stand in the pouring rain forever.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:21 pm

The woman in the magic shop thought for a minute. "The first we've got...The second we don't. But let me show you what we've got, hmm?" She reached under the counter, rifling through something, then pulled up a wooden box, opening it and displaying its contents to Jak- A collection of rings, some different colored, some with special designs, some rather mundane in appearance- But Jak could sense that they all had magic of some sort. The woman pointed to a row of differently colored rings- "This set here grants extra protection from the elements of different sorts. Not complete protection, mind you. Just a bit." She moved her hand down to the next row, with rings with designs of turtle shells on them- "These provide help in the department of physical attacks. Again, not complete protection, but still better then nothing, hmm?" She then moved her fingers down to the last row, to the rather plain looking rings. "And here we have the set for magic defense. They look plain simply because they're meant to throw off your opponent. The Elemental ones are 5000 Kurlens a peice, the physical 3000, and the magical are also 3000. Is this what you need, sir?"

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:55 pm

Inverse motions for Kumiko and Kelne to follow him, and moves away from the Storm's Eye.

"Do not go in there," he hisses. "Trust me."

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:15 pm

In response, the elven priestess immediately moved away from the entrance. She had, of course, already thought that they were being hearded there for a reason. However, if they were indeed being watched, it would stand tor eason that the watcher had a contingency plan, in case they didn't follow along...either way, she moved towards Inverse, as waiting outside for a few more minutes wouldn't hurt, though it certainly wouldn't be pleasurable. Meanwhile, she looked about for cover, as she still had to converse with Inverse, and it just wouldn't do to ruin all her paper in one fell swoop.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:57 pm

Kelne simply nodded and followed, assuming that Inverse had a logical reason for his insistence. Gods knew it wouldn't take much beyond the simple logic he himself had pieced together...

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:23 pm

Jak closed his eyes for a moment, trying to sense the astral auras around the rings. If he was going to buy one, he'd make damn sure he got the best there was.

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:44 pm

Making sure the coast is clear, Inverse explains things as tersely as possible. "There's a knight there. A mindreader. She collects info for Vani, and not by word of mouth."

That was all he was going to say in the open. He hoped that they didn't need more.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:52 pm

Fortunatly for Kumiko, Inverse had stopped near one of the many houses that sported a bit of an overhang, creating a dryer area under it, and the direction the wind was blowing now would allow her to use her paper without much fear.

------

At the magic store, Jak managed to pick out which of the defensive rings where the best- As far as the physical protection ones went, the one that looked like a gem-studded tortous shell was best. For the magical, a plain silver one stuck out most. The elemental ones where all the same, offering fairly good protection, each from a different element- Fire, wind, earth, lightning, water, and ice.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:02 pm

Opening his eyes, Jak eyed the physically protective ring that had caught his attention.

"Do you take Doman gil here? If not, could you direct me to an establishment where I could change my money?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:55 pm

The woman thought for a minute before answering. "Well, we usually don't, but I think I'll make an exception, just this once. Which one are you after?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:08 pm

"That one." he answered simply, pointing at the gem-studded tortoise shell ring.

"Do I have enough money? Yes, I believe I do. Their currency is weaker than the gil, if I recall correctly."

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:16 pm

"Figures," Kelne said. He knew a few techniques to drive such people to distraction, and being telepathic himself would no doubt help. Still, the simplest way to win such an encounter was to ensure it never took place.

"How good is she? Warning people by telepathy would be the fastest method if it's safe." The problem there was that he didn't know most of the group well enough to give a message a decently narrow focus. Kyle and Reako wouldn't be a problem, but as for the others...

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:20 pm

The woman took the ring out of the box and handed it over to Jak, and took the money in return-"It'll give you a slight defensive shield, and if you concentrate your magic through it, you can use it to cast the Protect spell. Just don't use it too often, once per day is as often as I can garuntee it'll work without breaking."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:30 pm

Slipping the ring onto his finger, Jak grinned, thanked the lady for her help and made his way out of the shop, casually glancing at a few items as he did.

The next thing on his mind was finding a decent inn to stay in. Thus, he made his way back towards the registration office, hoping to find his "companions" there, who'd hopefully found a suitable establishment.

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:58 pm

Inverse hook his head in response to Kelne. "Don't have any stories about telepaths fencing with her or anything like that. What I can say is that she's talented enough to be very highly ranked. Please, please, please tell me none of you went in there."

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:14 am

"I haven't seen anyone go in there," Kelne said, "But you know me well enough to know that I have this strange sense of impending doom..." Given the way the universe conspired against him, it was too much to hope that no one had entered the inn.

"Alright, you two see if you can round up the others, and let them know. I'll check the inn. I figure I can manage since I know to be careful."

So saying, Kelne set off back the way they'd come.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:58 am

Meanwhile, Kumiko already had out her trusty pen and paper, and by the time Kelne had set off, she had completed her note and handed the pad to Inverse.

"While waiting with the others in the registration office, I saw someone who looked very, very familiar. The name 'Loaf' presented itself strongly in my mind at the time, though he looked younger than Miguel."

She waited for a moment for the slimehalf to finish reading it.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:04 pm

As Jak made his way back twards the registration office, he too passed the burnt out remains of the large house Kelne had passed earlier. As he passed, he noticed the door was hanging open, and the large man who had bumped into Blaze as they entered the office earlier was standing inside, staring at a particular spot on the floot inside the main room, right past the front door. So concentrated was he on the spot that he didn't even notice Jak pass infront of the house.

Soon enough, Jak saw Kumiko and Inverse standing in the relative dryness underneath the overhang of the house about a block or so away from the Storms Eye.

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:04 pm

Blaze signalled the barkeep over.

'How much is a room here, and do you accept Doman currency?'

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:07 pm

The tall, stocky barkeeper thought for a minute, trying to do the conversions in his head. "I'll put you up for the entire duration of the tournament for...10 gil each. Travelers discount, plus competitors discount, plus I bet you'll give us a good enough show in the competition that I won't regret it."

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:16 pm

The gunman smiled winningly.

'I certainly intend to do my best, sir, or I wouldn't have entered the competition in the first place.'

He produced ten gil and slid them across the bar.

'Oh, and what non-alcoholic beverages do you have?'

Uncle Pervy

Short post of having to go to the bank

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:57 pm

"Get in. Get whoever's in there, and get out," Inverse says to Kelne. "And try not to be obvious about it."

He then looks at the paper, and nods to Kumiko. "Aleksei. Miguel's little brother," he explains in the same quiet voice as before. "One of the knights, said to be almost as good a shot as Miguel. He also believes what Vaniyakna said about Miguel's fate."

FlamingDeth

Re: Short post of having to go to the bank

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:56 pm

The elf thought for a moment. If he was Miguel's little brother, believed what Vaniyakna said about his brother, and was almost as good a shot, then there was little doubt that Vaniyakna would inform him if he knew of their presence in Barius. If he was aware of their presence, then it would stand to reason that he would enter the tournament, in order to revenge himself upon those responsible in a presumably fair fight. Then, if Inverse was falsely signed up for the tournament, it would stand to reason that the tournament could be rigged so that Aleksei and Inverse would be pitted against each other...and that did not bode well for the slimehalf.

Kumiko wrote another note under the first, and handed the notepad back to Inverse.

"There are several points that must be addressed here, in no particular order. Firstly, I shant participate in the tournament. They are not forcing me to, and there are far more useful things I can do in the meantime. Secondly, if we aren't going to stay in this, the only available inn, then do you have other accomadations in mind? Thirdly, if we are indeed being watched, it would stand to reason that if we are indeed being watched, that the watchers would have a backup plan for if we caught onto them. Lastly, given what we know of the tournament, Vaniyakna, and Aleksei, what do you think your chances would be in beating him in the tournament? I have a suspicion that the powers that be are conspiring to have you two meet."

The priestess patiently waited for Inverse to read her excessively long note.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:48 pm

As he headed back towards the inn, Kelne set about getting his mental defences in order. Aside from the normal screen which kept the thoughts of others out and should keep his own in, he constructed a layer of surface thoughts outside it. This took the form of a rant on the subject of those incompetent fools back home and how good it was to get away for a few weeks. Fascinating architecture they had here, pity about the weather.

By the time he entered the inn, the rant was running along quite nicely, and Kelne was keeping a mental 'eye' out for any attempts to slip past the layer of surface thoughts.

He stuck his head in the inn's door with the accompanying surface thought of Maybe he's in here and saw, with very little surprise, that there was indeed someone he knew in the inn.

"Ah, there you are Blaze," he said, walking over to him, "You simply have to see this. Fascinating example of Barian architecture." Accompanying this statement was a mental image of a suitably impressive building that Kelne had passed in his wanderings. The surface thoughts now took on an Idran-like intensity, with the associated certainty that others would share his interests.

"Come along, now." He awaited the gunman getting up and following him. Of course, the inner Kelne reflected, He's bound to be suspicious, which our mind-reader will probably pick up on. Not much I can do about that. Just provided he takes the hint and follows, there won't be too much trouble.

ChancellorSmartz

Unread postby ChancellorSmartz » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:20 pm

Smartz decided to venture off away from the group, hoping not to attract attention to them. If one non-Barian person was suspicious, a group of them is just plain fishy. Of course he will stay at one of the inns, but he planned to meet the others at the actual tournament.

"I will take care of Vaniyakna," Smartz wispered to himself. "And no one is going to stop me..."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:42 pm

Vince managed to get a good distance down the street, but still within eyeshot of Inverse and Kumiko. He passes a dark alley, dark enough that anyone or thing concealed inside would be hidden from view. As he passes, he hears a voice, a fimiliar one at that- It's none other then Giovanni Recci, Barian Knight extrodonaire.

"Good day, master Shade! Care for a smoke?"

ChancellorSmartz

Unread postby ChancellorSmartz » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:50 pm

"Ah yes," said Vince in a rather husky voice. "You were the man from before. Sorry about what I said before, I thought Vaniyakna was a normal competetor from what I heard. I did not mean any offense. Now I know he is a ruler of this country. From where I am from, current events do not come as quickly..."

Vince knew his appearance was too convenient under these kind of circumsatances. Something was up.

"As for smoking, I am not fond of it, but you may smoke if you like. It does not bother me. So, what brings you to this part of the city?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:56 pm

Vince found himself in the alley, shielded from the rain by a building just a bit. Giovanni glared deeply at him, as if he knew the real truth- "Everyone who knows Lord Vaniyakna's name knows who he is, comrad. And not one person who knows who he is would ever think he'd have any need to compete. I think you're lying to me, ja?"

And as if to punctuate the end of the statement, a small rock went sailing past Vinces face from the pitch black end of the alley, as if thrown by someone, missing the chancellors face by mere inches.

The rock sailed into the main street, hitting the stone road with a 'click', then clicked again against the wall of a nearby building....

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:10 pm

Still watching the two men spar, Kyle spoke rather quietly to Reako.

"They're pretty good. I hope we don't have to go up against them...I would probably get taken out pretty quick."

Tugging at his hood idly, he slowly began to think about how deep into this he was already. The others were planning an assassination...Where was he to fit in? He wanted nothing to do with any killing...But still, he had to do his best to stop the war. He was worried. But not too worried. He grinned a bit, turning from the two fighters.

"Say Reako, I don't think they'll be quitting anytime soon. Want to go ask some others? Or what?"

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:12 pm

Ignoring Kumiko's note for now, and catching sight of Vince, Inverse knows he can't get there in time to save the Chancellor. So instead he shouts.

"Shade! What're you doing in there? C'mon out here!"

ChancellorSmartz

Unread postby ChancellorSmartz » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:21 pm

Not budging an inch, he glared at the direction the rock was thrown at. "Hm. I see." He dared not to back up, because a person to throw a rock with such accuracy can do wonders in other skills. "I do not wish to fight you, nor have I ever wanted to. I see you have some connection to Vaniyakna, that is why you are defending his name. But let me propose a suggestion."

Vince was staying calm, but this was truely a shot in the dark.

"I suggest that we fight in the tournament. You and I, and maybe your friend in the dark there. That way, Vaniyakna would have some pleasure out of our battle, not to mention the spectators. And, if you manage to beat me, it would prove to everyone in the city, as well as Vaniyakna you are very worthy of your skill. It is truely something to earn you fame, and glory. Now...do we have a deal?"

PreviousNext

Return to Gaera Main RPs