The Barrelball Affair [Closed Prandian RP]

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
Blaze Yamato Spirit

The Barrelball Affair [Closed Prandian RP]

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:09 pm

Dawn broke on the day that was to be the highlight of some random guy’s life. He had a ticket for the Barrelball game – Baarador versus Loredan, two of the best teams Prandia had seen in recent years. Grinning like a maniac, he put on his scarf in Baarador colours and left for the pitch.

~~~

The Baarador team were already in their chambers under the stands, getting ready for the game. Samson was putting on his blue and gold kit, and Darley, Shane, and U’han sat listening to their coach outlining for the umpteenth time what tactics he thought the Loredanis would be using and how he wanted the home team to respond. For once, though, they felt like listening to him. These four would be playing today; the other team members were all here, in various states of dress, some standing, some leaning against the wall – all nervous and excited at the same time. The match today would be especially important as the stakes were so high – the Loredanis were contenders for the All Prandia Championship Cup, and this game would decide the champions for the year to come.

~~~

Meanwhile, outside the stadium, milling crowds pushed and shoved in their attempts to get to the ticket booths. A number of men and women were trying to regulate the crowd – these were dressed in leather breeches, a padded leather jacke with a chain shirt on top, and a light brown wool cape with a Kestrel shaped pin at the left shoulder. These were Kestrels, Prandia’s answer to policemen. They were fighting a losing battle against the seething crowd...

Edited by: Blaze Yamato Spirit  Image at: 4/11/03 4:54:37 pm

Uncle Pervy

Re: The Barrelball Affair [Closed Prandian RP]

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:34 pm

One man, however, was a bit more calm than most of the crowd. A tall, lanky man with an easy smile watches the excite people, amused. He wears a dark blue trenchcoat, and loose clothing underneath. His brown-blonde hair is uncombed by anything but the wind,and goes in essentially every direction.

Curate is content to wait, for he recieved a ticket as a bonus from his publisher upon the completion of his latest short story, a piece of historical fiction involving the tale of how the fireball spell was created, and the war that lead to it.

He watches the crowd, noting the sights and sounds for flavor text in a future story. Soon enough the game will begin; he was counting on Baarador to win it. In the meantime, the crowd is entertainment enough.

Nekogami

Re: The Barrelball Affair [Closed Prandian RP]

Unread postby Nekogami » Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:52 pm

A heavy set minotaur with shaggy fur and yellow ribbons tied around her shaggy ears stood in a corner and scribbled onto a notepad. Her vest was too small and pulled tightly around her chest. Her belly stuck out from her pants but her nails and hooves were carefully manicure.

It was so hard to find decent minotaur fashions in human cities...

But that was the subject of another article. Right now, barrelball was on Dakota Northe's mind. Usually sports pieces weren't her gig but she was on an eternal quest to become a well rounded journalist.

Uncle Pervy

ONO SPIDER DWAGONS PROWL ABOUT!

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:03 pm

"Busy, Miss Northe?" Comes a soft voice from behind Dakota. The trenchcoat clad writer sidles beside the minotaur, happy to see a familiar face among the chaos.

"Who do you think is gonna win this year?" Curate adds, glancing at her.

Nekogami

Re: ONO SPIDER DWAGONS PROWL ABOUT!

Unread postby Nekogami » Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:09 pm

Dakota let out a snort of surprise and turned to face Curate. "My stars! I didn't expect to see you hear." She slid her pencil behind her ear and and put the small writing table in her undersized purse.

"I fancy Barrador. But only because I live here, sug. I don't know too much about Barrelball. Maybe my article will enlighten me." She smiled kindly to Curate.

Uncle Pervy

ONO SPIDER DWAGONS GIVE ADVICE!

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:17 pm

"Now you of all people should know that we writers always turn up where we are not wanted or expected," replies Curate with a grin. "How else would we record all the scandals and conspiracies that everyone tries to hide?"

"As for the Game, so long as it isn't Vardie that wins, I'll be happy." Curate replies, "Never liked them much. Barrelball isn't that difficult to understand; two teams trying to fling a ball into each other's barrels, while the others do everything short of beating them to stop it."

He chuckles, then adds, "I've heard rumors there is a special rule in the books somewhere mentioning "No Broadswords" specifically. I've always wondered what inspired it."

"You wouldn't fancy watching with me, would you?" He says, sounding almost conspiratorial. "The sport's much more fun to watch with a friend."

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Waiting for the others, grr. :{ So, filler!

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:55 am

To Dakota and Curate's left, there was a sudden cry of alarm and pain over the general hubbub. An angry shout followed.

Looking over, they saw that the crowd was seperating around a group of men and women - some dressed in Baaradoran colours, the others in the hues of Loredan. It seemed that a fight had broken out.

Kestrels were forcing their way through the crowd on all sides as the two groups brawled. The first officer reached them and pulled a Baaradoran off a Loredan supporter sporting a broken nose. As the others struggled to their feet and tried to flee, they were all apprehended.

The two groups were quickly separated and taken away - presumably to the city's Kestrel garrison.

A middle-aged Kestrel officer near the two writers shook his head sadly.

'Some people take sport too seriously. Takes all the fun out of it.'

Edited by: Blaze Yamato Spirit  Image at: 4/13/03 7:02:15 am

Uncle Pervy

Yay for Analogies! Perhaps... too fitting?

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:59 pm

Curate nodded to the Kestral. "Tell me about it," He says.

hethen goes back to waiting on Dakota's answer with the patience of a spider awaiting a fly.

Nekogami

Re: Yay for Analogies! Perhaps... too fitting?

Unread postby Nekogami » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:41 am

Dakota smiled and quickly scribbled down a note about the fight and the severity of fandom taking place. "I think, Curate, hon, that would be a splendid idea. I hope we can get good seats. I haven't purchased a ticket yet. " She stuck her bovine tongue out thoughtfully. "But then again it was a spur of the moment decision to do a sports article...."

Vampire Jester Jinx

and lately i arriveth. meet peaches! :D

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:24 am

Sharp elbows found soft sides, and her well worn work boots plodded methodically onward as a rather sturdy looking young woman plowed her way through the rioting crowd.

Her skin was sunkissed, and tanned darkly, with hints of freckling on a pert, slightly tilted nose. The face was of a charming configuration, blue eyes blazing against the dark skin, and intense from habitual squinting in the daylight. Golden fluff, bleached by the sun, framed her face wildly, her curls cut off short in a boyish manner, however one curl was always finding it's way into her face, no matter how often cut.

One of the advantages of shimmying up trees all day picking fruit, was that one developed great musculature. Which she employed as her knee automatically jerked up, catching an overzealous fan in the crotch.

"Back outta mah way! I'm here to see the show, you nit! An' yer not getting in mah way, nor is the rest of the bloo'y nation!"

She planted her arms akimbo, and continued her merciless assualt foreward, her ticket clenched tightly in a sweaty hand.
She didn't trust it to stay put in her hole filled cut offs.

Peach Baxter was here to see the games!

Uncle Pervy

Re: and lately i arriveth. meet peaches! :D

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:42 am

"I'm fairly certain that we can get good seats," Curate says, "The crowds are bad, but I think the stadium can hold us al-AAAAAAH!"

It was at that moment a certain Horticulturalist by the name of Peach decided that the fastest route to the front involved treading upon Curate's rather defenseless ankle.

Vampire Jester Jinx

peach go splat

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:51 am

Her callous hands clenched in a fist, as she whirled to face whoever let out that big whoop.

"Now looka hear! Stop yer caterwallin'--"

But rather quickly the not so stable footing, which is still partly on top of curate's foot, is enough to topple the blonde roughneck, sending her flying backwards, devoid of any grace.

Dazed for a moment, with an aching backside, young Peach began to pull out her arsenal of "fancy talk", which consisted of four letter words that she liked to string together no matter how little sense they made as a sentence.

Uncle Pervy

Ows my foot. ;_;

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:10 am

Perhaps it was not the wisest of actions to take, but Curate was not always the wisest sort.

Despite the rather angry farmer before him, whom he was fairly sure took a swing at him, he draws up his leg, and massages his bruised ankle.

In the meantime, he listened to Peach's creative depravity with some interest. Such speech could be very useful in a future story, after all.

Nekogami

Re: Ows my foot. ;_;

Unread postby Nekogami » Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:56 am

Dakota, being a well-bred Yak-like minotaur however was offended! So after the scribbled down in detail the kind of rabble barrelball attracted to she tucked her pencil and pad away before standing between Curate and Peach.

"Well....I NEVAH! Have heard. Such CRUDE language....in a public affair." She put her hands on her hips. "You are a little barbarian is what you are. You trample this poor man and then go on like you've got a right t'. Why Curate is a the sweetest, kindest man I've had the pleasure of meetin' and I'll not have you cursing him like this. Now run along you coyote! Before I call the authorities on you."

Dakota snorted in a very cow like manner and could help but to stamp at the end of every sentence. She hoped she was very intimidating....

Vampire Jester Jinx

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:41 am

The farmer's daughter took the whole scene in from her current position on the ground. Something about those bobbing ribbons on the cow-thing was very horribly amusing.

Peaches mouth cracked open in a grin, white teeth shining against her tan. The grin didn't stay put though, it was shoved aside by bellowing, hooting, raucous laughter. She flopped back on her back, and kicked her feet, hands clutched over her stomach and howled happily.

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:47 am

Dakota blinked and looked down at Peach. She looke to Curate in confusion then back and Peach. She hadn't said something funny on purpose, as she was trying to be intimidating. How very perplexing.

She stamped a final time and took Curate's wrist. "Come along, Curate. This calf is half crazed and all wierd." The tugged gently for Curate to come. "We'll get you some ice for that ankle too."

Vampire Jester Jinx

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:20 am

This proved only to be new fuel for Peach's general amusement. Gleeful cackles tore out of her mouth and she tried desperately to make motions indicating her ears, trying to make what was so funny plain. Her eyes watered, and her face turned a ruddy red, and soon her laughter turned so forceful as to be silent.

Uncle Pervy

OMG Plot

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:49 pm

For a moment, Curate just stared. That laughter was familiar. Years ago, he heard it himself. He recalled in the depth of his memories, things he had tried to forget and put behind him. It was the laughter of people who took mirth in the wretchedness from which he was born. They thought he was funny for what he was.

It had hurt so badly; wen he was alone. Someday, he would show them all. He would show them who was wretched and laughable. He would prove wrong their silent jeers that he was nothing, and would never manage to be anything.

And he would do it here.

Curate extended a hand to the woman, and said, "Come now, surely you can laugh just as well while standing as you can upon the ground?"

Vampire Jester Jinx

OMG NICE SPIDER DWAGON. *pet pet*

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:26 pm

The woman chuckled, and breathed a happy sigh, as she tried to contain her mirth. Wiping a tear from her eye she grabbed ahold of Curate's hand and hoisted herself up with ease.

"Sorry 'b that. It's them frilly bits on the ears. Right amusin'."

Uncle Pervy

Re: OMG NICE SPIDER DWAGON. *pet pet*

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:36 am

"You must be fun to have around when someone tells jokes," Curate notes with a grin. "But still, is it really that nice to laugh at Dakota? I'm certain you may look just as funny to her."

FlamingDeth

I POST I POST OMG.

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:18 am

Pete, or One-Eyed Pete to those that liked to make fun of him, was very very wet. This was far from a normal state of affairs for the druid, but not entirely unexpected, considering that he was currently crawling onto dry land from the ocean. While not the absolute worst thing he had experienced, being shipwrecked was way up there on his list of things that suck. Seeing lights in the distance, the unibrowed young man who in fact, despite his nickname, had both eyes, walked towards the source of said lights.

A day or so later...

Pete was wandering through the streets of a stadium, holding a small piece of paper. It resembled the tickets for passenger ships, but due to his illiteracy, he couldn't tell what it was for. Of course, not that it would matter if he could read it, as it wasn't in a language he was familiar with. Back on subject, he was heading towards a stadium of some sort.

He had planned on just peeking in through the door to see what was going on, but when he reached the entrance, another with a presumably similar goals ran into Pete, sending the druid in somewhat tattered clothing practically tripping over Curate, who seemed today to have the universal role of a doormat.

Well, not practically. Quite literally. Pete fell right on the ground, and in the process, gave the spider-dragon's balance a run for it's money.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=flamingdeth>FlamingDeth</A]&nbsp; Image at: 4/15/03 2:23:19 am

Uncle Pervy

READY THE DOMINO EFFECT.

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:30 am

There were some disadvantages to being rather tall and obvious-looking. Today, Curate had learned it makes people liable to trip over you.

"Waah!" the writer cried, as Pete's momentum sent him off balance. Normally, this would not have been a great problem for Curate. But with his ankle in a rather unhappy state of aching, he fell onto Peaches facefirst.

(OOC: The target was selected through a random process that involved me asking FD to pick Odds or Evens via AIM.)

Dark Xia

Off to the races!

Unread postby Dark Xia » Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:57 am

It was there! He had seen it! And it looked delicious. Very so delicious. Aha! He dove down upon the ground, sticking his head down with bird like quickness he had managed to grab at a worm and pull it out. Slowly but strenously he pulled and pulled, and pulled! The worm came out, and along withi t a fountain of words exploded from the ground! He would feast tonight! So he began hoping around joyfully and swimmingi n the worms an-

"Sweety wake up!"

-_-

o_-

-_-

"Sweety wake uuuuuup."

-_- "Mhhh... Mom go away." But he new she wouldn't. Mom was always out to get him.
"Comon sweety todays that big day." "Maria" was her real name, but she always wanted him to call her "Mom" for some reason. Staring sleepily into her pretty brown eyes and golden yellow hair, he smiled a bit. Still wishing to get back into that dream.

-_- "What, big day I want to sleep."

"The barrel ball game silly."

O_O "That's TODAY! Oh oh! What time is it! The sun's already there!? >_< I'm going to be late!" He dashed out of bed quickly grabbing his clothes in his mouth and dashing into another room, taking off his PJs and putting on his snug blue wool pants and his loose custom made by his mother "Loredanis" t-shirt and cap.

He grabbed a packed lunch and stuffed a ticket in his pocket and he was set. THis was one harpy who's day was gonnabe fun, even with vanished dreams of worms.

Nekogami

Re: READY THE DOMINO EFFECT.

Unread postby Nekogami » Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:14 pm

Dakota hopped back as Pete fell on Curate who fell on Peach. This was quite a day to be the poor Curate and Dakota was very glad she was not him.

Being the nice hefty mintoaurelle she was she picked up Pete by the pack of his robes and set him upright. "How now! You say you're sorry." She looked down to see if Curate was all right, all things considered of course.

Vampire Jester Jinx

Re: Off to the races!

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:26 pm

"Waaaaaaah? HUH?!" came a garbled shout as Peach got an up close and personal interview with Curate. Once again she was planted on her hind end on the ground, this time with a rather tall person smashing her on the way down.

"Bloo'y hell!" She managed to sputter out, from the confused jumble of people on the ground. The young farmhand began to "tap" Curate lightly on the shoulder, in hopes this was a more polite way of removing him instead of saying, "Shove off, ya rotten piece of shite!" and then throwing him off.

Peach had a secret agenda you see. She was out to become as cultural as all the rest of the high class prandians out there... also she was out for a change of occupation. But she figured both went hand in hand.

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:48 pm

Curate was always a personable sort, but he had never been in a close relationship before. Thus, he soon became rather keenly aware that he was rather close to Peaches, and that she was rather irritated about it.

"I'm sorry!" he exclaims, leaping to his foot and flushing rather brightly. In part, this was due to landing on his ankle awkwardly.

Edited by: Uncle Pervy&nbsp; Image at: 4/15/03 11:55:32 pm

Dark Xia

Re: Off to the races!

Unread postby Dark Xia » Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:29 pm

Edgar's mother was waiting for him by the door to their home after he had finished getting dressed "I hope you have a fun time sweety, remember, don't take worms from strangers."

>_< "Mom I know I know."

"And don't get into any trouble, remember, no stealing, no pecking or biting other-"

Image "Mom! I haven't been pecking people sinceI was 6! I get it.. so... please."

"Aww I'm just worried about you dear." The loving human woman gave him a kiss on the forehead, and he blushed.

"mhhh.. don't worry.. I'll be fine... see ya later mom!"

"By honey, remember, be home before dark!"

Soon sprinting, and then taking off into the air, Edgar wooshed down the streets.

Gotta make it to the game, gotta make it to the game, gotta make it to the game!

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:29 pm

Dakota sighed with all the bumping into and falling over. She shook her shaggy head. "Curate, in case you manage to acutally stand up and get along without attracting the ground, I'm gonna run along to check out the rest of this place. Maybe I can find a scalper or two."

Dakota took time to jot down quickly about the dangers of simply standing too long in one place. Barrelball was looking more and more like a menace. Menaces made great stories.

"I should do more on sports...."

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:34 pm

"Huh, what?" Curate says, still flushing a bit. "Well, umm, alright Dakota."

He scratches his head, trying not to look at Peaches directly. Instead, his eyes fall upon a certain waterlogged soul. "Hey, before you run off, Dakota," He says, "Any idea who the guy in the funny clothes happens to be?"

People in funny clothing tended to make a great story.

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:05 pm

Dakota looked at Pete and shooke her head. "I haven't the foggiest." She waited for the stranger to introduce himself properly.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:45 am

After being hefted up and set down by Dakota, Pete stood there for a moment, in a bit of a daze. He could just barely, sort of, almost make out what these people were saying. They mentioned something about his name, obviously, so he decided to take his chances and actually let them know what it was.

"....erm....hi." Pete said, in Igalan common,a sheepish grin on his face. "I'm Pete. I here that if ye pronuncerate yer words, they ain't all mumbled an' stuff so that people can hear what ya sayin'."

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:33 am

Dakota blinked then put her hands on her cheeks. "Brand me, it's a foreigner." Peaches looked to Curate. "Curate, sug, please tell me an educated beau such as yaself can speak, ah, whateveh he's speakin'."

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=nekogami>Nekogami</A]&nbsp; Image at: 4/18/03 11:42:47 pm

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:58 pm

"Yeah, I can understand it," Curate answers. He had been exposed to many books during his early life, and some were in a tongue not too far removed from what the foreigner was saying. It sounded almost like normal speech, just with an odd inflection here and again.

"What happened to you?" Curate asks Pete, "I'm Curate, by the by, and this is Dakota." He motion to the Minotaur. He then glances back at the farmer.

I never did catch that one's name, he muses.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:54 pm

"...what...happened?" said Pete, thinking over the fact that he could actually understand what this guy said. Then, accompanied by quite a few interpretive hand motions, Pete began to explain what did happen to him. "....well, see, I was on this ship, an' the captain said 'We're goin' to Prandia!' and the crew was all like 'kay!' so we started sailin' and the crew was like 'HAY! We can't get to Prandia!' and the captain was all like 'Of course we can!' an' so we sailed and then the ship crashed and I cannae find anyone else, so I saw lights and walked over here and I found this!"

Pete punctuated the end of his rambling by thrusting out the slightly tattered and dirty ticket for the game that he had found earlier.

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:17 pm

Dakota listened to Pete with a completely confused look on her bovine features. When he finished and flashed his tickey, Dakota looked from Pete to Peach to Curate.

"What in tarnations....?" However she did sense a potentional story in this. Imagine! Two potential front page articles all in one day. She was as very lucky little girl.

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:59 pm

Curate pondered this for a moment. Then, the writer stated his thoughts on the issue. "Well Pete," he says, "Seeing as you're clearly not from around here, maybe you should stay wih us awhile. I'll wager you don't know anyone else in Baarador, do you?"

Vampire Jester Jinx

AHOY PEACH

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Sat Apr 19, 2003 10:32 pm

(sorry for the delay. having a few problems with the housing situation.)

The young woman heaved herself to her feet and began to dust herself off in a mock offended manner, because it was how this one lady in her old town used to act. It made for an odd sight to see, a woman in tattered cut off pants a leather vest, and a large tatty scarf and large clumsly work boots bothering with tidying her clothes.

While she watched the odd "conversation" between Pete and Curate, she was fascinated! A foreigner! This Pete fellar must be some sort of cultured, or at least interesting if he was from somewhere else, to Peach's somewhat muddled logic, so she watched with her mouth agape.

"Shoooooooooooooot! Ain't that a sight? Must come plumb 'cros the waters! #$@#$ing lucky sod!"

The young farmhand beamed a smile, her well muscled arms akimbo as she gawked.

Uncle Pervy

Re: AHOY PEACH

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:10 pm

Curate was not entirely sure what to do with the farm girl. She seemed friendly enough, if a bit ready to be brutal. If he could tell from her accent, she wasn't from Baarador. He was willing to gamble that she either stayed with relatives here, or had no one at all.

"Dakota," He asks, looking to his Minotaur friend, "Would you be terribly adverse to our two admittedly clumsy friends joining us?"

Edited by: Uncle Pervy&nbsp; Image at: 4/20/03 9:47:46 pm

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:12 pm

Dakota delivered another snort of derision and crossed her arms. She was adverse to the Living Accidents but assumed if no eye was kept on them they'd only end up running some old woman over. That was something she didn't want on her conscious.

"Oh, all right. But they're your responsibility. Don't let them get too out of hand, ya hear?"

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:07 pm

Curate nods to Dakota, quite happy that the crowds seem to be giving him a bit more respect now. "I suppose we can all behave," he says, grinning, "Now let us go find some decent seats, shall we?"

Next

Return to Gaera Main RPs