Into The Clouds (Freestyle)

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
RPGWWer ChronoCatfish

Into The Clouds (Freestyle)

Unread postby RPGWWer ChronoCatfish » Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:02 pm

OOC: Let's get this started... Sign up in the OOC forum.

A notice hung outside the Belching Dragon tavern. This was not the only place where the exact same notice could be found, but it was one place where it was given note. It was plain that someone had gone to great pains to make sure that it was at least given passing glances by the sort of people who frequented taverns such as, for example, the Belching Dragon. The notice read as follows:

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2"><span style="font-size:large;">Mercenaries, Bounty Hunters, Adventurers, and Other Such Unsavory Types!</span>

Do you want Adventure? Are you looking to explore new lands? Do you want to feel the rush of the wind underneath you?
Even if not, there's plenty of loot to be had!

Come to the basement of the Belching Dragon this Dammasus evening for the details.

THE LAW-ABIDING NEED NOT APPLY.[/quote]

Of course, that last comment didn't sit too well with the guard, and so most of the notices were taken down. Including the one at the Belching Dragon. Which was odd, because it was an extremely well-known fact that none of the guards frequented the Belching Dragon tavern and thus could not have been there to take down any alleged hypothetical notices that may have been there. Some or the notices may have survived, but that's not the point.

The point is that the message got out, and there were, in fact, those who did show up and, after mentioning why they were there, went down to the basement of the Belching Dragon. The room was badly lit, and all that could be seen of whoever had organised this was that they were, evidently, unpunctual. This could be deduced from the fact that they were not, in fact, there at the time.

Edited by: RPGWWer ChronoCatfish at: 1/26/03 9:03:15 pm

JoshuaDurron

OMG, Greg!

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:25 am

Gregory Wilson looked over the add and shrugged.

IM: Well, I don't know about 'unsavory'. After all, I used to be a guard in Doma. But 'adventurer'. I can do that. I suppose coming to Baron for a job was a good idea after all. Most Doman citizens are nervous around former guards.

Come the appointed eve, there was indeed someone in the basement of the Belching Dragon. Almost rediculously tall, standing six feet and ten inches, with a quiver of arrows over his back, right alongside the longbow he carried. Two daggers adorned his belt, along with a pouch containing a little money and a pair of hand carved dice. He wore a green, weather-beaten tunic that had dark, symetrical patches indicating where rank and unit insignia had been removed, and fringed brown pants. To the casual observer, the feathers sticking out of the fringe were just for adornment, but to the quick of eye, it became clear that they were feathers on an arrow. There was one in each of the small pockets sewn into the seam of his trousers.

Greg leaned back against the wall of the basement, and waited impatiently for the people behind the job notice to show.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Jansen, Jansen, JansenCats, HOOOOOO!

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:12 pm

<span style="font-family:times new roman; color:purple;font-size:small;">Jansen slid down the banister to the basement of the BD. Landing on the ground with both feet, he looked around at who was there.

No one but Greg was there.

"Huh... thought this would get a few more bodies... whatever."

He felt the sides of his body.

Hmmm, let's see... shotgun, pistol, hatchet, dagger, smokebombs, potion... yep, got everything... now when's this f@#$ing party start, anyways?</span>

pd Rydia

Enter Rune.

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:31 pm

<div align="justify"><font color=green>That day, a tall young woman was walking along the Baronian streets, completely alone. A slight breeze picked up and tossed the end of her ponytail, which was peridot-green and stretched from the top of her head down to her waist. This singularly unique trait identified the woman on-sight to nearly half of everyone in the city. Regardless of whether or not one had actually met her, most citizens of Baron City had heard of Rune, the trouble-maker.

Sporting a sturdy lance and dressed in the worn leather armor of a dragoon-in-training, one could easily identify Rune as a member of the city guard. Frowning, she tore down another flyer off a building, tearing it to shreds and dropping the pieces carelessly to the ground. With a very quiet grunt, she trudged onward, her mind musing darkly over the events of earlier that day.

<blockquote style="padding-left:0em; margin-left:24; margin-right:27; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 0">"Rune of the 2nd trainee battalion! You are hereby charged with abandonment of your station! How do you plead?"

"Abandonment?" Rune's voice had been quiet and nonchalant, as it normally was. "I didn't abandon Baron...I just...took a little furlough."

"Furlough?!" The commander's face turned such an amusing shade of red. "You! Were! Not! Given! Permission! For! Furlough!"

Rune responded with a shrug. "That's beside the point. I rather felt I deserved one. So I took it."

She'd watched with amusement as the commander furiously struggled to keep his anger under control. After flapping his jaws soundlessly for a few moments, he finally managed to bark out: "You are
incorrigible! This type of behavoir is completely unbecoming of a Dragoon of Baron! You are hereby and indefinitely suspended from your training and placed under probation until such time that you can prove you have the maturity and right-mindedness required to join our ranks!"[/quote]
Rune snorted as she ripped down another flyer. "Maturity" and "right-mindedness"...yeah right. Mindless obedience and conformity, more like...they wanted her to be as retractable as a brainless watchdog.

Honor...prestige...comraderie...all these things you could attain through becoming an ever-so-esteemed Baronian dragoon -- so long as you let them squash the individual out of you. Rune was learning more and more, that she was not willing to trade her personality away like that.

And still they have me on their leash, she sneered to herself, looking down at the flyer in her hand. Naturally, her probation included mandatory, menial community work...and when these flyers had popped up overnight, the least favorite dragoon was sent out with other undesirables to take them all down.

"'Unsavory types,' huh? 'Adventure'...'new lands'...blah blah..." She smiled. "'Loot.'" Whoever had written this knew how to appeal to real people. The next line she whispered to herself in a sing-song voice, a slow grin creeping over her features. "'Law-abiding...need not apply'...well now..." She smirked. "They don't want any leashed puppies for this job..."

Rune glanced around and began folding the flyer carefully, forming a paper airship. Then, she climbed up onto a nearby bench, setting it free on the wind. The same breeze from before picked it up, and carried it along, away from Rune.

A very small smirk seemed to somehow settle over Rune's entire face. Shouldering her lance and turning around, she headed for the Belching Dragon. Upon reaching the establishment, she entered without hesitation, ignoring the stares her appearance solicited and heading straight for the basement.</font></div>

Edited by: pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 1/27/03 3:40:19 pm

DemonMalixSentry

The Unknown Wanderer

Unread postby DemonMalixSentry » Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:46 pm

A young girl walks up to the sign. A large grin ran across her face; revealing a pair of white fangs.
"Cool!" She said back flipping with joy.
"If there's cash I'm in!" She continued to back flip until she slammed right into a wall. She lay there a moment in pain.
"Owwie..." She leapt to her feet. After asking around about the Belching Dragon she finally made her way to the establishment.
"Note to self: Look where you found the sign the for establishment."
Making her way to the Belching Dragon she jumped the entire flight of stairs to the basement. She sat there in a crouched position tilting her head to the side. She perked up her cat-like ears and smiled.
"Anyone home?" She stood up wagging her black, slender tail. Walking a few inches forward she slammed into a nearby wall.
"....Owwie." She sat there rubbing her forehead.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=demonmalixsentry>DemonMalixSentry</A] at: 1/27/03 5:08:34 pm

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:01 pm

<span style="font-family:times new roman; color:purple;font-size:small;">"Her..."

Jansen swallowed hard. What was RUNE doing here? "Oh man... I have to hide! Get out of sight! But... oh no, she already saw me... OK, OK, this can be OK... I just have to... do what? What do I do? ...I know... I'll just act cool... this is no biggie. She's just a girl... well, more like a woman... of my dreams...NO! Can't think like that... she's just... a person. I can't let her get to me... that's all... OK, breath deep. Get over your nervousness... you're gonna be just fine... just... fine... Ishtar, protect me!... eh, what's that old bat done for me lately?"

Jansen breathed REAL deep, and walked towards Rune. Unfortunately, he had been slack in tying his boots that day, and tripped, sprawling out at her feet. In a flash, he was up. He realized quickly he must look like an idiot, so on went the "I don't care" face, and he said, "Hey Rune. Didn't expect to meet you here."

He would have sounded a bit smoother if his voice didn't crack when he said it...</span>

pd Rydia

Re: 0.0

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:35 pm

<font color=green>Rune blinked at Jansen, raising a single eyebrow. Did he follow me back or something? Well...at least he lives here...so maybe not...

Giving a glance around the room, she observed blandly, "Not a lot of people here...are there?"</font>

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Playing it cool...

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:41 pm

<span style="font-family:times new roman; color:purple;font-size:small;">"Yeah, guess not... so, since when are you a 'mercenary, bounty hunter, adventurer or other unsavory type'?"

"... that was actually smooth... nice work..."</span>

pd Rydia

Re: Playing it cool...

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:50 pm

<font color=green>Rune yawned, looked around, and turned a completely expressionless face to Jansen.

"Oh, I'm not. I've been sent here by the city guard."

Suddenly, her hand latched onto his wrist tightly. "You're under arrest, Jansen Cade."</font>

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Re: OMG, Greg!

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:06 pm

<span style="font-family:times new roman; color:purple;font-size:small;">Jansen snickered. "Bulls@#!"

And of course, in the back of his mind, he was thinking, "Letthisgetkinkyletthisgetkinkyletthisgetkinky..."</span>

JoshuaDurron

Watching...

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:11 pm

It took diliberate, conscious effort for Greg not to burst out laughing when the other man in the room nearly died of nervousness when a good looking girl walked in. The familiarity between the two became apparent shortly there after, as did the fact that the girl was part of the city guard. When she went to arrest the other man, Greg considered taking a hand in the situation. But he immidiately found himself unsure of what side to take. He was an old lawman himself, but he had no real loyalties left to the profession, or to this city in particular. Then again, he had no reason to help the man called Jansen, either. He finally decided on a happy medium.

"Hopefully not for responding to the recruitment flier."

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Greg Broke Rule 0.

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:15 pm

<span style="font-family:times new roman; color:purple;font-size:small;">Jansen got a pained and angered look on his face when he heard Greg's comment.

"Thanks a lot, dillhole. Way to give her ideas..."</span>

JoshuaDurron

He's smarter than that...

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:22 pm

"Relax. Jansen was it? Relax, Jansen. They'd need more than just that to send people here. Trust me, I'm familiar enough with law enforcement beuracracy to know."

The man shot Rune another look.

"So why are you really here?"

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=joshuadurron>JoshuaDurron</A] at: 1/27/03 7:23:10 pm

pd Rydia

Re: Watching...

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:22 pm

<div align="justify"><font color=green>Unfortunately for Jansen, all Rune did was let go of his hand and lean against the wall, hands resting on her armor. A familiar bored expression settled over her face, masking any emotion she might have been feeling at the time.

"I shouldn't be surprised to see you here," she commented levelly. "As for me, well...I'm just taking...a break. Again."

She looked over at Greg, appraising him openly, but not saying anything.</font></div>

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:31 pm

<span style="font-family:times new roman; color:purple;font-size:small;">Jansen stopped himself.

No... can't do that... but Ish do I want to...

When Jansen looked at Rune he didn't see some sort of emotionless, unattainable woman. He saw pain. Pain he knew. Hell, he did the exact same thing as she did. Except instead of emotionlessness, he used rampant assholery. But, of course, he didn't even admit that to himself.

I can't do that... not yet. That went through his head over and over again. He wasn't even friendly enough with her to do that. That...

Jansen took her hand. "C'mon, Rune... it'll be OK."

Rune looked up into his face, and rushed into his arms, hugging him tight. They looked into each other's eyes, and...

No. Not now. Not yet...

"Break... sure..." He smirked.

It could have been wiped away like a dream...</span>

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kingofdoma>KingOfDoma</A] at: 1/27/03 8:13:20 pm

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:40 pm

Greg, giving Jansen a quick glance, and still trying to figure the guy out, allowed himself to slide down the wall into a sitting position on top of a crate. His old leg wound was bothering him, and he didn't feel like just standing around waiting for this potential employer to show.

With a grunt, he put his hands behind his head, looking at the other two people in the room. He was willing to bet he was older than both of them, by a lot if their behavior was indicative of their age. But then, he had known some people in the guards who behaved like they were four year olds, when they were really in their forties. He sighed, and let his eyes drift half closed, waiting for something to happen.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:04 pm

<div align="justify">(Cha? Could you take the thought monologue out of quotes? ^_^;; It looks like he's speaking aloud...)

<font color=green>Rune frowned slightly. I don't like him already... she thought, eyeing Greg. Then again, I don't really like anyone...

Sighing, she began to walk around and inspect the room. "So where is everyone, anyway?" she asked quietly, keeping an eye open for anything worth 'borrowing.' "And who exactly are we waiting for?"</font></div>

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:13 pm

Greg popped one eye open, looking at Rune in surprise. "Eh? Beats me. I was actually hoping you would know. This is your beat, after all."

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:18 pm

<span style="font-family:times new roman; color:purple;font-size:small;">"Beats the s@#$ outta me... the poster just said show up here. If the bastard who wanted us doesn't show up soon, I'm gone..."</span>

RPGWWer ChronoCatfish

Sounds like a good cue to post...

Unread postby RPGWWer ChronoCatfish » Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:26 pm

With that, a cloaked woman ran down the stairs, pausing for breath once she got down to the bottom.

"Hi." said said, once she had regained some composure. "Everyone's here? Good. The name's Keriann. Of course, you don't need to know that because I'll be giving you the orders."
She waved a hand, lighting up the room with illusory torches.
"We're going to have to track down a hawkman and find a book. Then we'll steal an airship."

Keriann looked around at the group, smiling.

"Any questions?"

Edited by: RPGWWer ChronoCatfish at: 1/27/03 9:27:12 pm

JoshuaDurron

Re: Sounds like a good cue to post...

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:29 pm

"One."

Greg raised his hand. Once he had secured the woman's attention he simply quirked an eyebrow and asked, "How?"

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:33 pm

<div align=justify><font color=green>And why? Rune wondered. She kept quiet, however; she'd probably find out soon enough. Silently, she kept an eye on Keriann and Greg.</font></font>

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:41 pm

<span style="font-family:times new roman; color:purple;font-size:small;">"And one other...

"Where the f#$% have you been? We've been waiting for ages!"</span>

Geocsuppi

Unread postby Geocsuppi » Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:11 am

Robert was running late he had saw the ripped peices of the flyer just now and was sprinting to the BD. He jumped the flight of steps down to the basement. Robert was wearing brown leather pants and a cloth shirt, both of which were flapping as he flew threw the air towards the bottom of the steps. He hit the ground and tumbled jumping up to his feet. Had he been a foot or more to the left he would've plowed Rune down, asuming she didn't move out of the way.

"Sorry I'm late just herd about it."

[OOC: And I am sorry, I did hear about it ealier just didn't notice the posts.]

RPGWWer ChronoCatfish

Unread postby RPGWWer ChronoCatfish » Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:54 am

OOC: Okay, we now have five people, which is more than four. NO MORE RPERS IN HERE.

Keriann regarded the newcomer skeptically. Then she sighed.
"Everyone's either late, or they're early. No point in complaining, though."
Then she looked at Greg.
"If I knew exactly how, I wouldn't have had to hire anyone." explained Keriann in the tones of one talking to an idiot.

"You're probably also wondering why. Have any of you heard of the hawkman legend, the Clouded City?"

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:02 pm

<span style="font-family:times new roman; color:purple;font-size:small;">Jansen, in his usual smarmy way, said, "No. Why don'tcha go ahead and tell us about it, OK? Thanks..."</span>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:52 pm

<div align=justify><font color=green>Oh great, Rune thought to herself. Another moron. Too stupid to think up of a way to get done what she wants...and yet she still acts so cocky? Ryuugami help me...

Still, she remained silent. The others would ask the questions she needed answered, all she had to do was sit back and watch everything unfold.</font></div>

Edited by: pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 1/28/03 3:03:26 pm

JoshuaDurron

Still relaxed here...

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:00 pm

Greg, seeing that his prospective employer was of the 'Oh-look-something-I-want-chased-down-go-get-it-for-me' type, could immidiately make a few deductions.

1. There wasn't likely to be a plan beyond what she had mentioned. People of her type just didn't make them. In fact, she probably didn't even have enough information to start making a plan.

2. If he was quiet and listend to her story, he might gather enough information to piece one together.

3. He would probably end up doing this anyways, because of that annoying sense of responsibility in the back of his head, so there was no point in trying to walk out of it. After all, it was that same sense of duty that had kept him in the Doman guards for a good twelve years, even when it had become apparent in the last two that his unit would not be employed much longer.

He resumed his realxed pose against the wall, figuring that as long as he was going to listen to the story, he might as well be comfortable while doing it.

RPGWWer ChronoCatfish

Re: Still relaxed here...

Unread postby RPGWWer ChronoCatfish » Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:58 pm

"You don't see hawkpeople around here, so I didn't think you would know. Anyone who's talked with hawkmen often enough will notice some allusions to some kind of a 'Great City'. While most of them have been smart enough to keep quiet when someone asks them about it, I managed to get some information from an exceptionally dense one."

Keriann paused a moment, then continued on.

"Apparently, the hawkpeople we see down here originally came from some kind of floating city, though none of them can get to it now or have any idea how. However, I've discovered that there is a record of information about the city in Baron. We need to find the person who owns it."

She surveyed the assembled mercs critically.
"If any of you have a fear of heights, you should probably leave at that point. The rest of us can go loot the place."

Edited by: RPGWWer ChronoCatfish at: 1/28/03 5:01:21 pm

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:15 pm

Greg shrugged.

"So, do you know who this person is, or is our first move finding him?" It had been his experience that actually finding something could be harder than getting a hold of it.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:15 pm

<div align=justify><font color=green>Rune scrutinized Keriann right back. She needs to slow down when she talks... she thought to herself.

Aloud, she asked drily, "Loot which place? The home of the person who owns the record, or this 'great floating city'?" She nodded to Greg. "And what do you know about the person who owns this book you want?"

She wasn't particularly keen on wantonly looting a citizen of Baron City...that'd kind of ruin her ability to move around the place freely. On the other hand, the prospect of taking a little book didn't bother her that much...and the idea of looting some great big floating city in the sky --especially if it was abandoned-- sounded alluring.</font></div>

Edited by: pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 1/28/03 5:16:26 pm

Geocsuppi

Unread postby Geocsuppi » Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:13 pm

Robert had stood still and listened to the story unfold. He was a high elf and he still had not herd of this book. He contemplated it a bit and settled on the idea that he just might not have been around those who would've talked about it. After some more thought on if he had anyquestions himself to ask and finally no was the answer he came up with.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:45 pm

<span style="font-family:times new roman; color:purple;font-size:small;">"So, what you're saying is, we have to find some book?"

"Huh... I'm not usually a librarian, but this seems like it could be fun. How much you payin' us?"</span>

RPGWWer ChronoCatfish

Unread postby RPGWWer ChronoCatfish » Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:55 pm

"You'll get paid out of the loot from the Clouded City." said Keriann to Jansen. "Didn't you read the flyer? So if you want to get paid, you'll have to either finish this, or sit and wait once we take off in the airship."

"Now, the keeper of the book is a hawkman in Resano Village. He shouldn't be too hard to spot. The trick is to look for the wings."

Edited by: RPGWWer ChronoCatfish at: 1/28/03 8:59:02 pm

Geocsuppi

Unread postby Geocsuppi » Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:59 pm

Robert thought, "Hmm... one would assume to find a hawkman one would look for wings wouldn't one."

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:14 pm

Greg absently thumbed the fringes of his pants, running his fingers over the feathers there several times. Many of them were just decorative, but some were attatched one of the two arrows he had in special pockets sewn into the seams. He liked little surprises like those. He intended to give one of them now.

Without preamble, he stood up and announced, "Well, I've heard enough. Legends about a floating city, an expidition leader who knows only the sketchiest details about what's to come, and nothing but the promiss of pay at the end to lure us onward."

Hooking his thumbs into his belt, he turned as if to go. Suddenly a broad grin split his weathered face. He called out over his back, "Reminds me of the days I was in the guards. You got yourself an archer. Are we waiting on someone, or shall we just go now?"

Geocsuppi

Unread postby Geocsuppi » Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:24 pm

"I'll go on one condition. That we don't kill for the sake of killing," Robert said. He had lived his days of Bounty Hunting, and general adventureness by this motto.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:38 pm

<font color=green>"Right..." Rune muttered. "I'm in."</font>

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:06 pm

<span style="color:purple;font-family:times new roman;font-size:small;">"Huh. Sounds good to me... can we go now?"</span>

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kingofdoma>KingOfDoma</A] at: 1/29/03 8:42:07 pm

RPGWWer ChronoCatfish

Unread postby RPGWWer ChronoCatfish » Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:40 pm

"Sure," said Keriann. "Just meet me back here in the morning. You all have rooms at one inn or another, right?"

Next

Return to Gaera Main RPs