The Dark Force Saga: Chapter 1

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
WillBaseton
Self-Proclaimed Gaming Guru

The Dark Force Saga: Chapter 1

Unread postby WillBaseton » Sat Jul 13, 2002 3:16 pm

(Sorry about the delay in getting this started, I haven't been in the best of moods lately...well, here goes! Oh, and one more thing...this is not based on Star Wars.)

"It has been said many a time that evil lurks within the hearts of every man. But is it their heart, or their soul, where evil resides? The flames of hatred and destruction can be made to burn even in the heart of the purest being. How is this possible, I do not know. Why it occurs, humanity may never find out. However, it has been determined that certain objects can trigger the soul to ignite the flames of hatred, but no explanation has been given as of yet..." -excerpt from an ancient scroll unearthed in a ruin to the west of the Shuman Mountains

This story begins at the same site where the scroll was uncovered. A worker named Meigu has been hard at work for over five days, uncovering nothing since the scroll. His thoughts concentrated only on how much he is being paid for this job, he fails to notice the numerous half-eroded humanoid skeletons that he has dug past.

"This is the stupidest job we've done in months! I haven't found a single gil, let alone any REAL treasure!"

Almost as if guided by some divine hand, the next strike of his pickaxe broke open a hole into a strangely round cavern. Stunned by this sudden turn of events, he lowered himself into the cavern only to find it lined with gems and coins of every sort, with a silver sarcophagus in the center. A gleaming dagger was plunged deep into the chest of the sarcophagus, as if holding something between the two ancient hands...

“Holy…this is the mother lode! Ishtar, thank you! I’m rich!”

The miner, ecstatic beyond all measures, danced about the room like a schoolboy in a candy factory. However, his joy was suddenly shattered when he remembered his contract. He was required to inform his employer of any finds.

“…damn…I’d better stash some of this treasure just in case the Boss decides to cut in on my find…”

Meigu reached out and grabbed several handfuls of coins and a small dagger before his gaze centered on a star-shaped ruby the size of a human fist. The gem’s soft glow enticed him, pulling him closer. Without thinking, the miner snatched the gem and pocketed it.

“This looks like enough of a share for now…I’d better get topside and tell the Boss.”

Meigu’s boss, Seth, was a kind-faced man of the early thirties who seemed to be one of the nicest people on Igala. However, he was slightly apprehensive and paranoid, so he always suspected his employees of performing the same act that Meigu had just done.

“Uh, boss? You should probably come take a look at this…”

Meigu and Seth examined the room carefully, checking for any markings that might give information on a time period or a civilization they recognized. The only sign they found was a plaque at the feet of the sarcophagus, which simply read:

“HERE LIES THE SILVER WIZARD PHAEDRON. MAY HIS ACCURSED REMAINS ROT FOR ALL ETERNITY.”

(To Be Continued tomorrow.)

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/uwillbaseton.showPublicProfile?language=EN>WillBaseton</A]&nbsp; Image at: 7/14/02 2:54:11 am

pd Rydia

Re: The Dark Force Saga: Chapter 1

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Jul 13, 2002 5:02 pm

(OOC: Kinda hard to fit my char in this setting, but I shall try my best...good thing it's Migi. :P)

In the forest nearby, a black blur was making its slow, careful, halting way amongst the trees. It would pause behind the cover of a tree or bush, hovering out of sight...and then dart forward swiftly to the next patch of cover. Pause...dart...hide. Pause...dart...hide. What was it? A hunted animal, perhaps? A demon stalking its prey? One could only wonder...

A root suddenly jumped up, however, snagging an unsuspecting foot. The creature fell to the ground, sniggering uncontrollably, finally revealing that the being was, in fact, a blackfurred nekojin. She rolled quickly back onto her feet, giggling with barely suppressed mirth, before resuming her game of hiding from imaginary foes. Pause...dart...hide. Pause...dart...hide.

While her actions and mirth would give the impression of a young child, her looks suggested she was actually older...as did the heavy black armor slowing down her movements, and the two deadly katana she had strapped to her back...

Migi Kuro, adventuring far and wide as she ever did, was playing a one-nekojin game of hide-and-seek in the Shuman Mountains.

JediAl11

Unread postby JediAl11 » Sat Jul 13, 2002 6:03 pm

(( I don;t suppose the Dark Force part has anything to do with the Star Wars version of the Dark Force? If it does, may I join.))

Ajil6

Unread postby Ajil6 » Sun Jul 14, 2002 2:06 am

((I hope you don't mind me coming on this one.. ))

Shek didn't like his job, he didn't. He didn't like it's low pay, it's grueling hours, the heat, anything. His job was to dig, and digging, is what he was doing. "Stupid dirt.." he whined, complaining was one of his favorite pastimes while he was on the job. He coughed as his small shovel pulled up more dirt and dust into the air.

"At least there could be a friggin breeze.." he moaned, then coughed again, wiping the sweat from his brow his dropped the shovel and sat down. He had been at the site for four days now, and he hadn't found so much as a broken nugget of pyrite. Maybe even some spare pocket change. But nothing, not even a fossilized sausage.

Shek looked up at the blaring sun, he didn't even know what a fossilized sausage looked like, or why it would be at an archealogical site on a mountain. He started digging again.

*clink clink clink*

He stopped. He had hit something, something hard, and maybe metal. He hoped it was metal, that way he could demand a pay increase for his findings. Or so he thought. He pushed his hand shovel in, feeling around the object, using the clinks as a guiding sound for it's full location.

Finally, he found a spot where he could get his shovel under the object. With excitement he started to pry, he was onto something big he thought. His imagination was running wild with delight, what could it be? A skull? A jewel? Gold? Maybe a chest? The most he knew about it was it was the size of his foot, and very solid.

He dug around it, freeing the dirt from the mystery artifact. Oblivious to the commotion that was forming off in the distance. If someone found something, it couldn't be as big as his obviously important discovery.

He was panting with anticipation, or possibly heat stroke. Either way, he was panting.

*clink!* He had got a foothold finally, he pried it out of it's little hole in the dirt and examined it. It was dirty, very dirty. That wouldn't do.. he started rubbing the object on his leg, adding even more dirt to his messy trousers.

"This better be good." He thought to himself, saying it aloud without realizing. And it had better be good to. He had already lost and screwed up to many jobs to give himself the will to keep working. Left his two apprenticeships, quit all forms of school, magic and otherwise. For him to be out in the middle of no where getting paid 60 gil every two days. That could barely buy him a new pair of pants to replace the dirty ones.

Slowly but surely, the dust began to move itself from the object to his leg, and a look of dispair grew on his face. Another stupid rock.

That was the fifth time this hour this had happened.

He threw his shovel down in disgust. He'd never find anything. Pocketing the rock he turned around to see what all the commotion behind him was, and stalked off towards it.

geoc

Unread postby geoc » Sun Jul 14, 2002 2:42 am

Caron was studying in his home. He had grabbed a book he had just got. It was a book on all the powerful wizards. When he got to the chapter on Phaedron. It said that his tombs location had never been found and that that was probably a good thing. He stopped and thought about it but the thought that eventually someone will find it and that doom would strike the world was too unsettling. Caron put away the book and headed down to the pub. He needed a drink, a good stiff drink.

At the pub there was a big commotion apparently one of the paleontologists had run back to the pub to tell everyone about the big discovery. Not carrying at all Caron walked right past the large group of people huddled around the paleontologist and up to the bar.

"Bartender could you give me some whisky?"

"Sure thing there mister," the bartender said while trying to pay attention to the big news, "How would you like it?"

"On the rocks please."

The bartender very slowly got the cup put some ice in it and started pouring the whisky. Right then the climax of the big news hit.

"Umm... bartender the cup is overflowing."

The bartender snapped back to what he was doing looked and saw that the cup was overflowing and promptly apologized for it and handed Caron the glass.

Caron quickly downed the glass.

One of the more drunk people listening to the "big news" yelled out, "Phaedron, you found his tomb!"

Caron not knowing if he had herd what he had herd quickly got up and said, "Where is the tomb?"

The paleontologist said, "Out in the desert north of here. Ooops... I shouldn't have told you that now there is going to be a crowd out there damn."

Caron set off to desert where the excavation site was.

Ajil6

Unread postby Ajil6 » Sun Jul 14, 2002 10:54 pm

Feeling low wasn't a new thing for Shek. He always had gotten his hopes up about 'Something.' And that 'Something' always ended up crushing his spirits, even if it was only something so small as finding a dirty rock instead of an ancient weapon of intense good and righteousness.

Shek moseyed over to where he thought he saw the commotion occuring, again, he was disapointed to see it was only three workmen standing, and they weren't even standing around a mass of treasure.

The first workman, built like an ox and twice as fragrent spoke in hushed tones. "Did ye see how that guy ran outta that hole in tha ground?"

The second workman replied, "Yeah. It's like he found some sort of mysterious thingamajig. You don't think it's some sort of cursed gold do you?"

The third workman wasn't even paying attention, he was hollering at some village girls that had ran to the worksite and shortly, he began to run over to them.

"Well, ye didnea think that it couldnea be some sort o' wierd mummy thing in there do ye?"

"That would be quite a find if there was sir."

"Well, what if its one o' them cursed mummies? Ye kno' one o' the kind that comes ta life and ye gotta stop them from eatin' the blood o' the innocent?"

"Thats the kind of thinking that can get us fired, friend. And start a panic."

"Well, what do ye think it is?"

"An entrance to the long lost civilization of ancient winged beings that held the powers of life and death in their individual hands and feet and could..." He took a deep breath, "stop the sun from spinning around the world and destroy it with four hands tied behind their backs."

Shek blinked, a find? A real find? This was something he'd have to check out.

"What are ye talkin' about? Don't ye know, the sun didnea ever spin round the world, it's tha other way aroond!"

From then on, it became a senseless arguement about science and theology. He didn't care about either at the moment. Only one thing filled his mind, gold. Gold was something he needed to get out of this little dirt hole in the middle of.. well, next to a huge mountain.

"I'll wait till nightfall. Then make my move." He thought aloud, dramtically. Posing for effect.

Luckily, no one saw him, which saved him from a strong feeling of embarressment.

WillBaseton
Self-Proclaimed Gaming Guru

Unread postby WillBaseton » Mon Jul 15, 2002 1:43 pm

Seth studied the plaque carefully, trying to remember who Phaedron was. His memories of the stories told by his grandmother had begun to erode away, but he could still pick up a few minute details.

"Phaedron appeared at first to be a savior, bringing animals and food with him when he came to our village, but that soon turned sour as the animals became wild and feral, then completely degenerated into some sort of hideous monster that wreaked havoc upon the town. However, even Phaedron could not control his minions, and he was soon after attacked and nearly killed by his own creations..."

Seth had been told many times of a "Silver Wizard" who would go from town to town and grant "miracles" to the people, and then kill them all in their sleep by melting their flesh off of their bones. He began to wonder if the two were one and the same. While Seth pondered, Meigu had climbed out of the tomb and began showing his gem off to the other workers.

"Hey guys, did you see what I found in that hole over there? Check it out, it's a ruby! Looks like it was carved into the shape of a star..."

As Meigu began bragging, he felt the gem begin to heat up and shine brighter. His thoughts began to cloud and within minutes, he could not even control his body.

"W...what's going on...? I can't feel my arms...or my legs...!"

Meigu's body began convulsing, which startled several workers into stopping their work. The workers who came to his aid were unable to see the hysterical worker's eyes fill up with blood. Meigu collapsed to the ground, screaming, as his body began to shake as his blood boiled. His pickaxe slowly began to lift off of the ground and flew directly at the face of a fellow excavator, embedding its blade deep into the man's forehead. The calamity continued as Meigu nearly had a heart attack from the pain coursing through his body. His screams stretched out for miles, although they slowly began to more or less resemble demonic howls. All the while, the gem throbbed, as if laughing at its deeds...

pd Rydia

yay for innocence!

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Jul 15, 2002 3:16 pm

(OOC: Okay...>_> I'm going to assume that the excavation site is in the eastern Baron desert, nearish the Shuman Mountains, since nobody said...)

Migi suddenly halted in her western travel, sensitive ears pricking up and swiveling.

"What was thaaat?" She wondered aloud, flicking her ears. She could have sworn she had heard some high-pitched call to the west. It had to be nearby...but it sounded so distant.

She blinked bright green eyes. Stretched in front of her were grassy plains, which supposedly would lead soon straight into the Baron Desert. Idly, she wondered what a desert WAS.

Whistling, she picked up her pace and headed westward again.

Ajil6

Re: yay for innocence!

Unread postby Ajil6 » Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:19 pm

Shek, didn't like a lot of things. For example, he didn't like water downed beer, the smell of fish, and loud screams of agony.

Now a real commotion had, as he was in the process of guessing, occured. Terrified yet intrigued he ventured towards it. He briefly wondered if it had anything to do with that 'treasure' that had been uncovered, but had the thought cut short by the fact a large and burly man was running towards him, and not only running, but in fact, running into 'him' and nonchalantly picking him up and carrying him over his shoulder.

"What the hell do you think your doing you oaf? PUT ME DOWN!" He complained at the indignity.

"ACH!" The man said, "Do ye really want ta stick aroond for this? I just saw it with m'own eyes!" The brute began to run towards the campsite.

"Saw what with your own eyes?" Shek asked, swearing as he bit his tongue. "Will you put me down?"

The man didn't pause but continued running. "I would if we weren't all about ta die on the spot."

"Die?"

"Aye, did ye not see it? Meigie, Maygu, Mugu.. whate'er the devil 'is name was just got.. well, it nay was a pretty thing ta be seeing! And the guy next ta him.. pick axe in tha' noggin!"

"What? Pick-axe? In the head?"

"Are ye deaf man?"

Shek made a face, "Well after that screaming, aren't you?"

The big man looked annoyed. "Listen ta me, if ye want ta joke, we can do all the jokin' ye want once were outta this place. But fer now, we be going ta get ourselves outta here."

Shek didn't complain but was silent as the lumbering man carried him over his shoulder. This was a great way to end a job. Flying pick axes. And he STILL didn't know what was going on.

"Gonna be one of those days isn't it..."

geoc

Unread postby geoc » Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:08 pm

When Caron reached the excavation site he saw only chaos before him. He had been in time to hear the scream. Caron walked over to where it seemed people were clearing out in a mad panic. One person had grabbed another man in while he was fleeing. Caron watched as they passed by. Caron continued to walk further where he spotted a man with an axe in his head and another man.

IM: I should've left with the crowd. Well what do I do now? The man is obviously dead. But the other man is in complete agony. I wonder if this has to do with the discovery of Pheadron? Well any-how I should go ask the fleeing people what happened instead of assuming.

Caron turned around and started off in the direction that most of the people ran in.

Ajil6

Unread postby Ajil6 » Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:20 pm

"So much for treasure." Shek complained vocally. It had been about a half hour, and the man was still carrying him over his shoulder. They were now about 3 or so miles outside the encampment and they hadn't even stopped to see if anyone else had escaped.

"Um. You. Ox-man. Put me down now?" Shek said a bit frazzled. "We should be far away now, and I don't think any kind of crazy pick axe is going to follow us out here."

The man slowed down, and then stopped. He set Shek down on the sandy ground. Shek surveyed the area, desert, rocks, and a cacti or three, surrounded him.

"Well, now what do ye think we should do now?" The man asked.

Shek thought awhile, and wished it wasn't so hot. "Well, first, tell me your name. Because calling you Ox-man just won't cut it. Second, tell me what the hell happened back there?"

The man wiped the sweat off his brow and sat on a larger rock that could accomodate his large size. "M'name is Winston," He said matter-of-factly. "And whate'er happened back there is something that I don't want ta remember."

Shek frowned. "Well, you carried me out of the dig and campsite without rations, or water. You can at least tell me what was going to kill us but instead sent us to this desert of doom and thirst. Can't you?"

Winston sighed and looked down, "Aye.. I suppose I should.."

Winston related to Ajil, the whole story of what he heard and saw. Including the part of where he picked him up and ran for a half hour.

"So... let me get this straight.. A pick axe. Flew into someone's face? And this guy, Mei-whatever, had a freaky rock that caused all this?"

Winston nodded. "Aye, thats the gist of it."

Shek sighed. It 'was' going to be one of those days.

geoc

Unread postby geoc » Tue Jul 16, 2002 5:52 pm

Caron continued to follow the rampaging mob till they calmed down. He then walked over to the most sane looking person.

"What happened?" Caron said.

The man turned to him and said, "Hi..."

Caron wait a few seconds to see if he was going to say anything else.

"Umm... What happened here”? Caron said looking a little flustered.

"Hi... I like cheese."

"You are an idiot."

Caron walked away this time he went to the closest person that didn't look like they might kill him.

"Umm... Do you know what happened?" Caron said.

"Yes I do. The guy who put the pickaxe through the other guy’s head had grabbed a pock of some sorts a little bit earlier. We all think he went crazy because of the rock. Normally he's not like that, he doesn't just go around putting axes in peoples heads."

"Thank you for the information."

Caron walked away he didn't want to talk anymore. Though he didn't know what to do now.

IM: I'll go back and try and help him I guess.

Caron once again headed for the excavation site.

Ajil6

Unread postby Ajil6 » Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:41 pm

"So... uh.. Winston." Shek said, befuddled by the days events. "What do we do now?"

Winston thought for a moment, and look up at the sky. "Well, first what do ye mean 'we'?"

"Well," Shek began, "We can split ways here, and cease to be 'we'. Or we can go to a nearby village, wherever that may be. Or we can go back to the excavation site."

Wintson thought about that for a moment.

"Well, no matter what we do, somethin' like this 'ill only get worse. Let's think o'bout it for a bit, and see what happens."

Shek thought this was a good idea. So they decided to wait.

jesmanpokeyfun

Unread postby jesmanpokeyfun » Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:34 am

Quil sat in the dimly lit local pub, downing a pale ale in the corner, alone, quiet, medatating. He had a very bad feeling about this place, everynight before bed he has had horrible headaches, this place was in trouble.

Quil was a traveler, he has come from the far west in search of safety. The small isle of Norfall, where he came from, was corrupted by an evil king, who shut down all schools of sorcery. Forced to abandon Norfall he disguised himself as a traveler to escape execution. If his true identity was revealed he could be in grave danger.

Several uniformed workers bust through the door, Quil payed little attention. "no time for this nonsense." Quil lowered his hat over his eyes, kicked up his heels, and took another squig of ale. Through all of the ruckus he overheard one word, 'Phaedron'. Quil spat a mouthful of ale onto the tabe and accaddently ignited a small fire when it landed on a candle. Quil flicked his wrist and the firewent out. 'Crap I hope no one saw that.' No one saw due too the comotion. Quil overheard a worker tell another bar-fly where the tomb was, and rushed out the door behind him.

IM:Where have I heard of Phaedron? O Lord! It was a story Great Grandpa Phillip used to tell. Let's hope he was exagerating....or we are all in a lot of trouble.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/ujesmanpokeyfun.showPublicProfile?language=EN>jesmanpokeyfun</A] at: 7/18/02 4:54:09 am

Ajil6

Unread postby Ajil6 » Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:28 am

"Well, ye know, we could always go back to the site." Winston finally said after an hour. The sun was setting. Shek nodded. "Yeah.. I guess. I did leave my things back there.." It was a shallow response, but he wanted to go investigate the site. He wondered how bad all the things that Winston bore witness too were true, and how much had been imagined..

"So.. What do we do?" Winston asked. Again.

"Well, I guess we head back..."

jesmanpokeyfun

Unread postby jesmanpokeyfun » Sat Jul 20, 2002 12:56 am

Quil stood behind a large group of people, awing at the dead man.
'maybe i should just stay back and watch' he thought to himself
Quil walked back into the shadows and watched as people walked by, eyeing who might be the best to follow and spy.

((OOC: sorry for starting something i cant really stick with, im gunna be gone for 4 days, sorry))

geoc

Unread postby geoc » Sat Jul 20, 2002 11:37 am

OOC: Don't worry if you notice this seems to be moving really slowly so you shouldn't miss too much.

Ajil6

Unread postby Ajil6 » Sat Jul 20, 2002 5:34 pm

(I'm at a loss too, dosen't the GM or the RP started add something big at this point? o.O)

Shek and Winston headed back towards the campsite. It seemed to be the best thing to do at the moment anyway. Being in the desert without any supplies, gave them a day and a half at survival, at best. It took them an hour, but soon they were approaching the campsite.

The stopped about 200 feet away and looked at eachother, "Do you want to go in?" Shek asked.

"Er.. laddies first as I always say.."

geoc

Unread postby geoc » Thu Jul 25, 2002 5:28 pm

OOC: Will would be so kind as to post something important to spur us on further?

Geocsuppi

Unread postby Geocsuppi » Mon Oct 07, 2002 9:53 pm

[OOC:Is this dead? I want' it to live, but if it must die so be it.]

Return to Gaera Main RPs