Beyond Time and Space

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue May 13, 2008 1:11 am

Idran keeps his eyes on Jeridan at first, as Annie slips out of the car and heads inside. "It was a...long time ago. Years, at least. Truth be told, I'm a little glad you don't recall. I was in something of a...bad way at the time." Trying to give a small laugh, he sucks in a sudden gasp, wincing a little and gripping the side of the car before getting himself back under control.

As Richard speaks up, Annie emerges with something in her hands. She approaches as Idran replies to the dragoon, "I'm sure you're concerned, but I'll be...I can handle myself." Reaching the car just as he finishes his comment, Annie hands him a fairly simple-looking cane, giving him a small glare as Idran rolls his eyes in response. "I don't need that...stick, Annie. I can get around just fine, and I'm not going to collapse again. I lose my balance once and..." He trails off, staring at the cane in his hands with a broad frown.

User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue May 13, 2008 1:14 am

Annie's look softens a bit. "It's not that bad, dear...I think it's actually kind of classy. You know...Dignified."

She leans in, giving him a peck on the cheek, before heading for the house again. "I have to get Erin ready. We'll leave in just a minute, okay?"
Hey there! Can I give you a hand?

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue May 13, 2008 1:19 am

"Dignified..." With another sigh, he looks back up to her. "...All right. I would invite you all in, but...time is short and all. When we return, though, eh?"

User avatar
Deeum
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 4:25 am

Unread postby Deeum » Tue May 13, 2008 2:54 am

"Eh heh, yeah." she said in response with a chuckle, "I'd like to say that you seem well, but that'd be a total lie."

Deeum crooks her head a bit to get a look inside his place as Annie went inside. She grins, "She seems fairly nice". Yeah, there really isn't any time for small talk, but anything to lighten the mood a little.

User avatar
Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Virginia

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue May 13, 2008 6:21 am

Jeridan got back in the car, doing his best to hide a grimace. His ears were still ringing from the sounds of the motor on the ride over. Getting back in was about the last thing he wanted to do... But honestly, the next things on that list were watching Idran try to walk wherever they were going, and watching Phyllias do the same if she'd suffered from the mage's condition. So, he wouldn't complain. Not yet, anyway.

User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3605
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Unread postby Kelne » Tue May 13, 2008 7:24 am

If you return. The thought was an unpleasant one, and definitely not one to be spoken aloud. Gods knew he himself would never be able to stay quietly at home and wait for his doom. Particularly if other people were going off to do something about it on his behalf.

"It's also an excellent prop for hiding things in," Kelne said aloud with a faint smile. Anyone familiar with his tendency to prepare a multitude of surprises for enemies would shudder to imagine what he might do with a cane. Then again, it would be so very obvious to those enemies that he was carrying one for nefarious purposes. With Idran, nobody would ever see it coming.

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue May 13, 2008 8:35 am

Smiling to Annie as she heads inside, Idran climbs in back of the vehicle, reluctantly gripping the cane. "Oh, she's...far more than nice. I still wonder sometimes how I deserve to have her and everyone else around..." Trying to relax, he leans back, shutting his eyes and slowing his breathing as he holds the walking stick in his lap. At Kelne's comment, he gives a short laugh, smirking a little in return. "I suppose you're right. But you're the last person I thought would be looking for the silver lining in a situation, Kelne. Have a change of heart recently that I haven't yet heard about?"

As he talks, the door stays open while Annie finishes her preparations inside. Not much can be seen from this angle; part of what might be a living room just past the door, a fairly normal-looking kitchen just noticeable past a doorway inside. Still nothing that a person might expect from a traditional mage's house, it all looks...astoundingly domestic.

Straightening a bit, Idran opens his eyes again, glancing amongst the group. "Well, it's been some time since I've seen some of you. What've you all been up to recently? Any new world-saving adventures I haven't heard about yet?"

User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3605
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Unread postby Kelne » Tue May 13, 2008 9:12 am

"On the contrary," Kelne said, "I'm subtly suggesting there are people you should be hiding things from where we're going." His tone remained one of banter, though there was that undercurrent of truth at play here.

His face clouded ever so slightly at the mention of 'world-saving adventures'. Clearly there was a story or two there, but it was nothing that would be revealed today. "Oh, I've founded my very own secret society," he said lightly, "Well, co-opted an existing one, at least. Silly sods actually tried to recruit me."

User avatar
Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Virginia

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue May 13, 2008 12:16 pm

Jeridan could have told Idran how he had, largely, given up adventuring and mercenary style work; That he'd moved on to a more stable existence with his wife, for the most part. Guard work was still dangerous now and then, but it was a far cry from seeking out people threatening the world with doomsday machines and magical relics from times long past.

Then again, Jeridan was also pretty sure Idran was talking to people he actually knew. Getting acquainted with the man wouldn't hurt anything, but this just didn't seem like the right tiem to jump in on that.

User avatar
Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:51 am

Unread postby Nakibe » Thu May 15, 2008 4:47 pm

"Eh, nothing too much. Tossing a few drunks in jail, punching out an idiot or two. You know, the usual." Richard never remembered Idran looking so... weak before. I mean, the mage was always a bit scrawny, but then spellcasters always seemed to be that way. But he tried to keep his tone light, because if he didn't, Idran might realize just how worried he was about this whole thing. He made a note to perhaps talk to Annie a bit later, maybe figure out how bad things have really been for the poor mage.

Before he knew it, Annie was already making preparations to go back in that strange machine. He had other things to think about for the moment, though.

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri May 16, 2008 11:48 pm

Indeed, as Richard replies, Annie emerges from the house. In one hand, she carries a bag of whatever they deemed necessary to bring - nothing interesting there. But in the other, she carefully holds a strange, thin box of some sort, something Spob may recognize, but the others have likely never seen sight of; rounded edges and a shiny surface, like metal but not.

"Is she settled in all right? No problems, I hope. Oh, and did you remember that...gift? Not something we'd want to leave behind before we leave for Krynus."

User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon May 19, 2008 2:26 am

Annie begins making sure that all of their gear and luggage is stowed properly in the back. As she does, however, a high, childish voice comes from the box. "Oh, we're leaving now, right?"

Annie makes a face. "..Yes, Erin, I told you inside that it was time to go..."

Annie gets back to work, finally securing the last of what she's pulled from the house, and climbing back to her spot behind the engine.

"Oh, we're leaving now, right?"

Annie looks at the box for a minute, then makes to hand it to Idran. "Can you watch her while I drive, please? She's acting...A little strange."
Hey there! Can I give you a hand?

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon May 19, 2008 2:57 am

Nodding, Idran takes the box from Annie, looking down at it. Those sitting next to him can see the image of a young girl, no more than 8 at most, with bright-green eyes and red hair pulled into pigtails. She wears some sort of odd outfit, covering the whole body and tight to the skin except for her fairly-chunky gloves and boots; light blue for the most part, but with purple for the gloves, boots, and a section that resembles...underpants pulled over her normal pants, strangely enough.

Idran speaks down to her, with worry across his face. "Are you all right, sweetie? How are you feeling?" "I'm fine, I'm fine," she replies, though Idran doesn't seem to be buying it.

And as he talks, Annie starts up the vehicle, heading on the road again. Idran looks back to the house as they leave; others that do the same notice a young woman with shock-white hair, not even 20, sitting on the roof and watching them leave. Idran smiles to her as they pull out, and her gaze doesn't waver for as long as the house is in view.

In minutes, they reach the city, heading across the roads to the astonishment of a number of citizens of Kohlingen; most looking with confusion, but with a good few staring in terror. Annie's handling seems quite adept, with not even a single person coming at risk of being hit, but all the driving skills in the world can't avoid what happens next. Just as they reach the dock, the car gives a loud burst of a noise, shuddering its death throes before it finally falls silent, thick steam pouring out the front and sides. Thankfully, the ships aren't far, but that fact doesn't seem to cheer up Annie any.

With a scowl, she climbs out, collecting the luggage and helping Idran out of the car. Reluctantly using the cane, he steps aside to let the rest of the travelers out, before the collection heads to one of the nearby piers, where a red-haired woman with quite the family resemblance to the girl in the box stands waiting. Looking fairly human but for the wings protruding from her back, one feathered and one metallic, it'd be tricky to place exactly what race she is, but she's obviously got some sort of tie to Idran. The group heads down the pier, where a boat just large enough for the lot of them waits docked, the gangplank down and ready to receive them.

User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon May 19, 2008 6:29 am

Down on the docks, the woman with the wings is waving her arms frantically, apparently trying to direct traffic. "C'mon, you ninny-footed postule...drivers!" She shouts at the crew. "I'm paying you double if you get done within the hour! That's another ten minutes! You can still make it! Let's go!"

She turns, finally seeing the group approaching. "Oh. Hey, guys. You all set to go? This is a bit of a one way trip, might as well grab anything you need before we head out, it might be a bit before we're back. Dunno yet, right?"
Hey there! Can I give you a hand?

User avatar
Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:51 am

Unread postby Nakibe » Tue May 20, 2008 12:42 am

As uncomfortable as these weird methods of travel were for him, Richard had to admit that they were effective. And considering that none of them had blown up, gone out of control, or otherwise made his life absolutely miserable yet, they HAD to be a lot more effective than the usual crazy inventions he was used to putting up with on occasion. Damn things still make enough noise to wake a whole damn city, if you ask me. he thought grumpily. None of it was really his concern anyway.

For his stomach, at least, the boat ride probably wouldn't be as odd, or as demanding, so he hoped that it would finally settle down into something more like normal instead of trying to remind him what breakfast tasted like. "At least there's some familiar faces for this bit. Well... most of em, anyway." The Garoujin was somehow bothering him, though... mostly because he felt that he looked familiar, but couldn't remember when he'd been by. Ah, well. 's not like you can recall every crazy thing that's happened in the Inn. When he thought about it, he probably wouldn't remember most of last week's random aggravations by next week either. As such, he'd just worry about it when it came. There really wasn't any need to stress over most of it, anyway.

"Huh? Oh, Luggage, yeah. Got most of what I need right here." he answers as he pats a well-worn leather pack. The old ritual came to him even now, after a good while of being more "settled". One bottle of decent Rivan wine, a bedroll, flint, a little rope if they needed, a few potions (some had probably gone bad by now, though Richard figured enough would be good), and, of course, a hidden pocket with the holy symbol of Ryuugami inside. It didn't hurt much to have it anymore, but Richard really saw no reason to just have it on display wherever either. With this final check finished, he awaited the others' own checks. And perhaps a little decent conversation to pass the time.

User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3605
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Unread postby Kelne » Tue May 20, 2008 7:35 pm

Kelne shook his head, "I'm fine," he said. He'd packed the essentials, along with a couple of potions and rations for a couple of days (just in case the portal spat them out somewhere less than civilised).

Rather than getting in the way of the loaders, he found himself a seat on a bollard and pulled out a rather weighty looking book. Those paying attention might note that the page he was examining seemed to be writing itself before his eyes, and featured all manner of arcane sigils.

He wasn't sure he liked this 'one way' talk, but any off-world trip did carry risks. And gods knew he'd managed to return from all of them so far.

User avatar
Deeum
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 4:25 am

Unread postby Deeum » Thu May 22, 2008 2:44 pm

The ride here was.. something special to say the least. And, man, it ended with a bang, too. While the ride wasn't so.. great for her hearing, it was something you'd have to experience atleast once in your life.

Deeum climbed out of the contraption soon after the others and looked about the port and the various wide-eyed on lookers still recovering from the massive backfire. Now her attention to the uniquely wing'd girl ahead. She stood there to take a quick stock of her current inventory. A medium size pack with the basics: Water, potions, a set of clothes, and various other little bits that accompany anyone who's in for a long trip. Even some money if by some chance she'll need it. But, yeah, for the most part she didn't pack much since this isn't suppose to be a vacation.
"Ready enough." she eventually replied after the mental checklist.

One way, huh? Something.. didn't set entirely well with her after hearing that, but she'll worry with that later. Deeum gets onto the boat.

User avatar
Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Virginia

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu May 22, 2008 9:01 pm

Jeridan recognized the girl. He'd met her before she'd joined the Guard, in a tavern. She was a bit spacey, but he didn't mind her so very much. Still, he might have let a little groan slip out on seeing her...

Except his head was still ringing from the last dying act of the steam engine. Every hair on his body had stood up straight when it happened, and his jaws had clenched tightly shut. He climbed out of the cart without hearing Selene, and followed Deeum. She looked like she knew where she was going, and could probably still hear.

User avatar
NebulaQueen
Moderator
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 6:38 pm

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Fri May 23, 2008 4:23 pm

Spob coughed, and still choked on the engine's backfire. As soon as he was able to get some actual air into his lungs, Selene's words finally hit him. A one way trip? Hmph, he was used to plenty of one way trips. Besides, they'd come back...eventually.

"I've got everything I need," he said, as he followed the others. "Besides, it's we'll be coming back. It'll just take some time."

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat May 24, 2008 6:55 am

With all preparations ready, everyone loads up onto the ship. Preparations of the crew take a bit longer, though rushed along by Selene, and within the hour, the vessel departs Kohlingen, sailing off away from the shore. The crew is quite disciplined, working like a well-oiled machine as the ship presses on. Time passes slowly, with Idran spending most of his time in his cabin to his great reluctance (though he does sneak a trip up on deck whenever possible). Annie spends her time similarly, as does the girl in the box the others soon learn to be his daughter, Erin. Selene, on the other hand, stays active, helping out the crew wherever she can; she seems almost tireless in her various jobs around deck.

Two days of travel pass, before in the distance, a speck can be seen on the horizon, dead in their path. It grows as the ship sails forward, and before long, they can make out details; some sort of facility standing in the middle of the ocean. Eventually, motion can be seen. Structures on its surface. A small port nearest to them, with warehouses along its sides. The construction is recognizably Doman, and almost all of the figures standing watch are dressed in the familiar uniforms of the guard. A Doman outpost in the middle of nowhere, literally, and one of which out of those present, only perhaps Spob might have suspected - even those among them in the guard themselves had never heard of such a place. However, by far drawing the majority of attention is the portal. Standing 50 feet across, looking largely normal but for the occasional pulse of what appears to be lightning across its disc, it stands silently swirling just on the far side of the structure that surrounds it entirely.

Making port, the group soon disembarks, as do a few of the crew. They don't have long to relax on solid land, though, before guards approach. Questioning the travelers, they check each for identification, letting them pass ahead once satisfied they are who they claim. And so the party heads down the path, accosted twice more at additional security checkpoints for identity confirmation along the road. Though Idran's obviously looking increasingly in pain as they draw ever closer to the passageway to Krynus, he waves it off, continually claiming to be fine. Perhaps a bit more harshly than normal, but he looks to be steeling himself against the feelings to the best of his ability.

Finally, they reach the edge of the portal. Under the watchful eye of Doma's finest, they pass through along a well-kept pathway leading straight up to its surface. And following the brief moment of disorientation that follows any portal transit...

...they find themselves in...a bustling room, with stations watching suspiciously at the new arrivals. Construction like little most have seen. Walls not of stone or wood, but something resembling plaster. Floors made of what appears to be artificial cobblestone - white and black squares of shiny material, scattered arbitrarily. And beyond the watchful men and women in unfamiliar uniforms - more than likely guards as well, they can assume - a pair of doors made of glass, beyond which opens a vast courtyard, roofed despite its size. Despite their odd accoutrements, the Gaerans can recognize storefronts, taverns, and restaurants when they see them, though the food's nothing they'd be familiar with in Doma, nor are the wares. Flashing images of some sort shine from the rooms, their details not recognizable at these distances. And at the far end, another pair of glass doors, through which can just barely be spotted waves - obviously the portal on this end opens on an ocean as well.

They can't take in the sights for long, though, before a gasp from behind them draws their attention. Doubled over, with Annie clinging to him and staring fearfully, Idran winces, fumbling at his belt. Pulling a vial from his pouch, he drinks it down with her help...the pain looks to leave his face slightly, enough for him to stand if nothing else. Pale, he gives a very unsteady, obviously forced smile to the others. "Well...not the...the best of greetings to Krynus I can give you, I...suppose." With a slight wheeze, he heads to a nearby seat - its frame is actually metal, not wood...and what kind of fabric is that on the cushion? - relaxing as best he can as he sits. "It's...it's all right...give me a moment, I'll be okay."

User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3605
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Unread postby Kelne » Sat May 24, 2008 7:24 am

The myriad of sights around him seemed to have had... No particular impact on Kelne. This wasn't a matter of studied indifference; He'd taken a few moments to look around and simply adjusted as if he already knew at least some of the rules of this new environment.

As portals went, Kelne had found this one to be impressively stable. A lack of dangerous lunatics with firearms at the other end was another point in its favour.

Still, 'stable' was a relative term for someone sensitive to the least amount of temporal magics. "Would some distance between you and the portal help?" he asked, placing a hand on the carpet, still firmly strapped to his pack. How the locals might react to a flying carpet wafting through the building's halls was something of an open question, but if they had a giant portal in the next room over, presumably they were at least somewhat acclimatised to strangeness.

User avatar
Deeum
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 4:25 am

Unread postby Deeum » Sat May 24, 2008 10:19 am

The boat trip was peaceful enough. Nothing much to do but to sit and gather your thoughts and hope you don't get a bout of sea sickness-- which, thankfully hasn't struck her. All in all, it was a good way to get prepared for the long trip ahead.. till coming across the huge station ahead.

This was something she had not expected. Sure, she's been to various other places and ever realms, but this all looked.. artificial. Like a big piece of shiney rubber. It took Deeum a couple moments to get her thoughts in order. During which time she just followed the group without much of a word. I mean, look at all of this. It's certainly different from what she's really used to.

'Just hang in there.' Deeum says as comforting as possible to Idran. despite not really fully understanding his condition.

User avatar
NebulaQueen
Moderator
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 6:38 pm

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sun May 25, 2008 4:09 am

Now this was a lonely outpost. Spob felt no envy towards the poor guards that were stuck out here, but before he could give any more thought to the matter, his sympathies were directed towards Idran. The man was obviously in pain, despite how hard he tried to hide it. Perhaps he could - oh nevermind hello Krynus.

Of course, this would be the perfect moment for Idran's condition to worsen. After Idran downed his potion, Spob coughed into his hand, and said quietly,"I don't mean to pry, but if it's just pain I might be able to help. I'm a healer, you know." He smiled shakily, and continued. "Well, not much of a healer, but I'm not completely useless, right?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun May 25, 2008 4:25 am

Fighting down the pain, he gives Deeum an appreciative smile before nodding to Kelne. "Some distance would...yes. But don't worry, I...Annie and Selene can help enough, I think."

And with their help, he gets back to his feet as Spob talks, shaking his head at the suggestion. "Side effect of the condition...magics don't work, good or bad, except space and time spells. Having to use herbal painkillers...yew broth and the like. But thanks." He makes his way to the door with Selene's help, both showing small, shiny objects of some sort, about the size of playing cards, to the guards before they're let out.

User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun May 25, 2008 4:55 am

The small box in Idran's jacket speaks up again. "Daddy? I can't see! Is everything okay? Daddy?"

Annie looks sadly towards Idran, then digs something out of her pocket. Three rings. She makes to hand one to Spob, Jeridan, and Deeum. "Everyone here is a human...It would be best for us not to make a huge scene, so these'll disguise you as humans, too. When we're ready, we'll get you ID cards and stuff too. It'll only take a minute..."

She looks up at a clock, before back down. "And we have about two hours before the boat arrives to take us to the mainland."

She turns, looking at Kelne. "And as much as we'd like to make use of a...flying..carpet, it would attract the same kind of attention."

The jacket-voice chimes up again: "Daddy? I can't see! Is everything okay? Daddy?"
Hey there! Can I give you a hand?

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun May 25, 2008 5:14 am

Leaning on Selene, Idran reaches into his pocket, pulling Erin out and giving her a small, unsteady smile. "Everything's fine, sweetie. I've just...got another headache. But it's okay, I just need to get farther from the portal and I'll feel better.

"...Are you okay, Erin? How are you feeling?"

User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun May 25, 2008 5:19 am

Erin smiles sadly as she's pulled out of Idran's pocket. "I'm just worried about you, daddy. We'll get away from it soon, right?"
Hey there! Can I give you a hand?

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun May 25, 2008 5:34 am

He nods, the color slowly starting to return to his face as Selene brings him further from the portal. "Yep. And before long, I'll be feeling better already. Being off of Gaera'll be good for me, I think, less magic floating around."

Looking back to the security room, he speaks to the group, "Things are...different here, but it doesn't take long to adjust. Spob can agree with me. We were both stuck here for a year or so not too long ago, and Annie and Selene are from here...if you need help getting around, or understanding something, feel free to ask."

User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3605
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Unread postby Kelne » Sun May 25, 2008 6:50 am

Kelne smiled faintly, "I imagine I'll adapt," He said, "Any ground rules we should be aware of, beyond 'don't wave magic in peoples' faces'?"

User avatar
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.
 
Posts: 7996
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun May 25, 2008 6:54 am

"Um..You'll probably be laughed at for using swords and stuff, so you might wanna hide any weapons you've got." Annie says. "Other than that...Um..Nothing I can think of right off..."
Hey there! Can I give you a hand?

User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3605
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Unread postby Kelne » Sun May 25, 2008 7:21 am

Kelne nodded thoughtfully, stowing sword, belt and all in his pack. It wasn't so readily accessible there as his other weaponry, but longswords just weren't concealed by the folds of a coat, and certainly wouldn't fit in a pocket.

It would be nice to have some inconspicuous means of carrying it closer to hand, but short of shrinking, summoning, or extraplanarar storage space, it didn't look like that was going to happen.

User avatar
Deeum
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 4:25 am

Unread postby Deeum » Sun May 25, 2008 8:34 am

Deeum accepts the ring and quickly puts it on.

No weaponry? She could easily wrap her gear up in her cloak easy enough.. hopefully no will think much about the huge bulk of whatever she'd be carrying around. Deeum quickly, and neatly as possible does this and finds some way to strap it on her back to look like a make-shift backpack.

User avatar
Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:51 am

Unread postby Nakibe » Sun May 25, 2008 11:01 am

Seeing the outpost in the middle of nowhere was only slightly odd for Richard, but only slightly. After all, he'd been in Doma such a short time that of course the city, heck, the nation would have its secrets that he just hadn't uncovered yet. But that all of this secrecy was about some random stable portal in the middle of nowhere was quite interesting. A stable portal. He'd never seen one before, and its random shots of lightning somehow still thrilled and excited him in a way that the other parts of this hadn't before. They were really going off-world, then. Not just to another country he hadn't seen but perhaps to an entirely DIFFERENT place which would be unqiue and different and...

Strange metals and structures that were both familiar and yet somewhat alien. Strange sights and foods, certainly nothing he'd eaten before, images that seem tantalizing.... and suddenly unimportant as he looks over to Idran's hunched over form, apparently overwhelmed with the pain of whatever was happening to him. Ryuugami... he never let on that things were that bad already. For once, Richard wished he was more capable, more talented with magic, so that he could at least attempt to ease a friend's pain. And then, hearing Idran say that magic doesn't work for him...

It irked Richard at some deep level that their non-human friends would have to disguise themselves, but that piece of injustice only made him more eager to help Idran as soon as possible. "Eh. May need help with m'lance, then. Its .... a little big to hide." And I sure as hell ain't going nowhere without it if I can help it. Rules or no rules.

User avatar
Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Virginia

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon May 26, 2008 12:52 pm

Jeridan had looked around in confusion at the military base in the middle of the sea at first... until they came upon the portal. Then it made perfect sense; In theory, he ought to have known about this place before. If it had served any other purpose, he would have. Doma couldn't afford for anyone extra to know about this, though. No reason to give the Barians extra opportunities to learn about it.

He stepped through with the others, prepared for what he was about to experience: He'd made this kind of trip once before. That was to a different place, of course, but this was the same manner of portal. On the other side, however...

He looked very concerned, once he regained his orientation. He looked around the room, not like someone who had never seen any of it before, but rather like someone who associated it with bad things. The last time he'd seen drywall and linoleum, he'd run into the Sidhe. Being toyed with by extra-planar beings with a superiority complex was very very bad, at the best of times. He'd avoided associating with Enlil for a long time after that, and distrustful of that 'Earth' place ever since. Krynus, then, offered some vivid Deja Vu.

He looked somewhat distracted as people spoke, and snapped back to reality when he was offered a ring. He took it, and slipped it on as instructed. He couldn't really hide his sword and better than it was; He had a pack, with supplies and such in it, but it just wasn't big enough to hold a hand-and-a-half sword inside it. That would remain on it's belt, under his coat. He forcibly pushed unpleasant memories from his thoughts, and asked in a fairly steady voice:

"You've said several times that the people here don't make use of magic or swords, and I would guess other melee items. Is this place free of war, or do they use something else you just haven't mentioned yet?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon May 26, 2008 1:06 pm

Straightening up some now that he's a good distance from the portal, Idran looks to his friends as some of them slip on their disguises. The magic of the rings takes effect almost instantly, transforming them into...well, into them, only human. To those that know them well, there's a slight resemblance to their true forms (far more than that in Deeum's case, of course). They simply appear exactly as they would were they born human.

"Those of you with bulkier equipment, like your lance, Richard, we can handle it, I'm sure. If worse comes to worst, we can arrange some sort of portable storage.

"And as for your question, Jeridan. it's not free of war yet, but...getting much closer. Where weapons are necessary, they usually tend to favor firearms. Equipment that'd make a Valthi jealous. But for the most part, it's just the military that uses them. The common citizen doesn't have any need for weaponry, and mercenaries are far, far less common here than on Gaera. Pure adventurers even less so.

"You all can come on out, by the way. This place was set up to help what few Gaerans come through get used to the world. Like Annie said, there's most anything you might need or want here. Food, drink, clothing." He gives a dry chuckle, glancing to some of the shops here. "Even souvenirs, if that's what you'd like. We've got a couple of hours; feel free to mingle. You'll want to get that identification card Annie mentioned, and probably get your currency exchanged for the local money too, but other than that, go ahead and explore the place. You're getting a better introduction to the world than we did, at least. Eh, Spob?"

User avatar
Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Virginia

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon May 26, 2008 1:24 pm

Jeridan turned into a tall human man with typical Doman features, deeply tanned skin, and shoulder length auburn haired, tied back into a loose ponytail. His eyes were still green, and his clothing remained basically the same, but for a small difference: the holes in his coat and pants for his tail seemed to be gone. Still ,every now and then the coat twitched oddly, seemingly of his own accord. The appendage was still present, but invisible.

"It wouldn't take much of an improvement over the common flintlock to make the Valthi jealous, as I understand it."

User avatar
Deeum
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 4:25 am

Unread postby Deeum » Wed May 28, 2008 1:12 pm

Looking for the nearest reflective surface, Deeum takes a look at what the ring had done. Wow, it's going to take some getting used to not seeing her ears stick out. How do they stand having these nubs? Freaky.

Come to think of it.. since swords and magic isn't something these people are used to seeing all that often.. wouldn't her armor cause a bit of a stir? Yeah, its more than likely. Deeum takes a look around the area for something that'd help remedy this.

"There a map of this place? Or, since you've been here before.. you might be able to help me out?" She askes and quickly adds on her needs for needing one.

Idran1701
None some call is air am
 
Posts: 42197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 9:37 am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed May 28, 2008 1:23 pm

Nodding, he glances around the courtyard. "I guess that would be helpful, hmm? All right. If anyone else wants to take a tour of the place, I'll show you around. If you're going to wander around, that'll be fine too, just make sure you get your money changed and your identification card before we've got to leave. I know some of you might get more fun out of looking around without a guide." With a light chuckle, he puts some more distance between himself and the portal. And after a quick final check of their papers, the collection of travelers is let out of the fishbowl-like security room, free to explore the area as they wish.

User avatar
Deeum
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 4:25 am

Unread postby Deeum » Wed May 28, 2008 1:34 pm

Deeum gives thanks to Idran and heads on out looking for some sort of clothing establishment for her to get a quick change of attire.

Lets avoid this montage and cut to the chase-- Deeum eventually settles on something and walks out wearing normal jeans, pink baseball t-shirt with some sort of.. frowny graphic on the front, plain white sneakers, and they seemed to have pushed a complementary wrist watch with her purchase. "... what does ':(' mean and why did they press so hard for me to get this?" She thought to herself before walking away to take care of the rest of her business.

First on the list: Registration and money exchange.
Second: Get back to the others and find some way to transport her gear around.

User avatar
Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Virginia

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed May 28, 2008 7:47 pm

Jeridan went about getting his money exchanged first thing, as well as getting his identification taken care of. After that... He caught sight of Deeum after she'd left a clothing store, and he smiled a little. That would be an excellent solution tot he question of his sword and chain mail coat, provided they sold some kind of large bags. As it turned out, this store didn't have such things. However, there was something called a 'Sports Store' nearby where he could get a duffel bag that would suit his needs as far as the coat, apparently.

Ten minutes later, he met back up with the group. He'd chosen to stick with the pants he'd come to Krynus with, seeing as they were fairly unremarkable anyway, as well as his shirt. He'd replaced his sword belt and boots with an average looking black leather belt and black and white tennis shoes. His coat had been replaced with a dark blue blazer, worn open. He almost looked like a casual businessman: Slacks, shirt, blazer... they apparently hadn't been able to convince him to buy a matching waistcoat. The whole thing was thrown off a bit by the duffel he was carrying though, which looked fairly heavy.

PreviousNext

Return to Gaera Main RPs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron

Yalogank