Belelmund: The Folly of Sitanest

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:20 pm

Annetta stopped, looking over her shoulder at Myrnal.

"What happens here is not for your eyes. Please, help keep the others safe. No harm will come to Daniel, I garuntee it."
Hey there! Can I give you a hand?

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:36 pm

She guaranteed it? That was really supposed to be good enough?

"What you're doing isn't any concern of mine," Myrnal answered placidly. She pointed at Daniel. "But he is, and I don't trust anyone else with that until I know them better. I'm sure if you were a friend of mine I'd lend you similar consideration, but I don't know you from a hole in the wall, and in light of that it's not asking a lot to simply wait for you guys to finish whatever you're doing."

She spread her hands and looked down at her feet on the road, firmly planted. "See? Just standing here. Not coming close enough to steal your super secret super secrets. Just making sure you guys both get back in one piece."

Myrnal shrugged and continued not moving. This woman could either give her a better reason to leave Daniel with her, or she could make her move. Those were the only two ways Myrnal was leaving them behind just assuming they'd catch up soon.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:48 pm

Annetta thought for a moment. What she wouldn't do for one of those..Memory Mages right about now.

"It's..Very important that you be on your way." Annetta said, a little more pleadingly. She thinks for a moment, then detatches her sword from her belt, moving to Myrnal. "Here, if it will make you feel better, I'll let you hang on to this."

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:57 pm

From the bizarre and misplaced emotions earlier, Myrnal was guessing that this woman was some variety of mage. She didn't consider herself any form of expert on such things, and would have been wrong to give much weight to her own opinion of anything more specific than, probably a mage.

Which meant that what Annetta was doing was very like Hakaril handing his enemy a dagger from his boot and insisting that he was now unarmed. It was a nice gesture, but not one that meant a whole lot. Myrnal took the sword but didn't say anything yet, and didn't move. She glanced over to Dan to try and guess his opinion on this. He was obviously less suspicious than she was, and that meant he really wasn't paying attention. However, she was here as his friend and that meant his feelings counted for something.

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:35 pm

Daniel looks between the two women, closing his eyes and sighing. Despite knowing her only a short time, he gets the sense Myrnal won't back down. Not that he really blames her, he'd probably feel the same way in her position.

But in this case, he's willing to take that risk. It's clear to him this woman won't agree without the secrecy. Perhaps it could be something bad... but if he can save those lives.... well...

He'll have to ask Myrnal to allow this.

"Myrnal... I understand why you're worried. Believe me, I'm aware of the risk here too. But you just need to trust me on this. What we're trying to do is very important, and worth the risk in my eyes. I'd say more if I could but... I can't."

He waits to hear what she has to say, hoping she can understand his side of this.

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Oops x.x *Edits for consistency*

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:31 pm

Meanwhile, Trevor slowly walks back to their carriages. As he heads over, the boiling anger from before begins to simmer down. With the angry haze fading, he starts to wonder about the things he just said.

Perhaps saying a demon was preferrable to Charles was a bit much. Far too much really, truth be told. But he wanted to make his point clear. Not since his betrayal back home, had Trevor felt so blindsided. It seems like everything he knows is being turned upside down. He wonders how much more could turn out the same way. It feels like everyone and everything has a secret he doesn't know about. Was he just not being observant enough? Did he simply not think to ask the right questions? Was the evidence there, if he simply looked at the right things at the right time?

As he gets close to the carriages, however, he catches sight of the conversation going on between Daniel and the others. A thought occurs to him. If he is truly unsure about the character of the king, moping about in the carriage will not help. Getting the perspective from someone else, at the very least, would show if he overreacted.

With a new objective in mind, he takes a slight detour. He approaches the two women, noting that Myrnal seems to be busy speaking to Daniel and another stranger. He assumes now may be a good time to speak with Neb.

"Sorry to interrupt your conversation." Trevor tells Neb, just as she started to speak to the other woman, "But I was hoping I could speak with one of you for a moment. What's your name, by the way? I don't think we've been introduced."

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:49 am

When Neb had asked Daniel for help, all she wanted was the dead to be disposed of with something resembling dignity. When Annetta and Daniel requested some privacy, she had expected some sort of prayer or chant or quick ceremony - not surprising, since the two of them appeared to be religious folk. She had no objections to any of this.

But now? Now she had no idea what was going on.

"We don't have time for this," she said tersely, as she began to massage her temple with two fingers. "If worse comes to worse, we'll load up the bodies and have them buried at the nearest-"

The merchant found herself interrupted by a newcomer asking her questions, and it took her a moment to realize that this was the man who pulled the king aside. Strict, well spoken, had no problem speaking his mind in front of a monarch - possibly a diplomat, telling by the accent and his demeanor. "My name is Neb Nueva," she responded, sounding slightly calmer, but still tense. "What can I do for you?"

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:41 am

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt you." Trevor tells the woman with a slight nod, "But I was hoping to speak with someone about a... sensitive issue."

He looks to the side, noting Myrnal and Daniel speaking to one another while the veiled woman looks on. "However, maybe now isn't the best time for that. Perhaps later?"

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:50 pm

Neb nodded, and said, "That would be for the best. However, there is something that we all need to discuss." She glanced outside quickly, before turning her attention back to Trevor. "Perhaps it would be prudent if we traveled together, at least for the time being"

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:21 pm

Worth the risk in his eyes, huh? Question was whether Myrnal was here to help Dan or to protect him. They weren't always going to be the same thing. If it were just a matter of an obligation to Stephan, she'd err on the side of the latter. If anything happened the guy who happened to be the primary reason she was here wouldn't really give a damn about excuses, and excuses wouldn't make him feel better.

But then there was Dan. She barely knew him, but she knew why Stephan worried about him. She also knew that he could handle himself. He'd proven that and much more when he came to her aid without her ever asking. Small kindnesses meant a great deal to Myrnal, and that was not something she could forget.

None of that was his concern, though. He just needed a yes or a no. She gave a single curt nod. "Your call, then."

And that was it. She swung Annetta's sword up to lean it on her shoulder so that she wouldn't have to drag it through the dirt, and then she turned on her heel to walk back to the others. When Daniel was done, he'd come back. If not... that was something she'd have to deal with when the time came.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:29 pm

Annetta watched Myrnal return to the others, satisfied. Turning back to Dan, she nodded. "Let's get going."

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:39 pm

Daniel watches the others leave, then turns and nods to Annetta.

"I'm ready when you are."

As he follows her, he can't help but worry a little bit about his earlier concerns. At this point, however, there's only one other thing he can do.

"...Goddess, I hope I'm making the right choice here..." He thinks and prays to himself.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:05 pm

The king chewed on his jaw for a moment, mulling Trevor's words, when he turned, sharply, to his orcish companion.

"Get up. Come on, on your feet..." He reached out to Kobakk, pulling with all his might. The knight ended up on his feet, but the king ended up on his behind with a dusty thud.

"Your highness, are you alr-"

"I'm fine, I'm fine," he said, standing almost as quickly as he fell. "We have to go. But first I have to know something first...

"Are you going to be foolish or are you going to blame me for this incident?"

Kobakk was stunned for a moment. "I..."

"You are going to blame me for this." The answer was curt. "It was my plan from the start, and you were simply doing as I asked. You should be familiar with the concept of responsibility falling to the commander."

"But, highness, I did not have to do as you asked. I could have gone against you. I... should have... but... "

"That will do, Kobakk. But listen... you..." For a moment Charles was at a loss for words. What WAS there to say? "I need you at your peak for this mission. If you're plagued by thoughts of doubt or self-loathing, you lose your usefulness to me AND to Baron. I will take on the burden of guilt for this, you focus on the task at hand. Is that understood, sir knight?"

Kobakk's eyes looked lost for a moment, then his jaw set, and his back straightened. "Yes, your highness. As you wish."

"Good. Now rejoin the others. I'll be along shortly."

As the knight went to see his compatriates, Charles lingered momentarily, rubbing his eyes, the last moments being very fatiguing. Godsdammit, he thought to himself, what have I done?

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:19 pm

The caravan was soon on the move once again, for a caravan it could almost now be considered. Neb's cart now follows the royal chariots, a welcome if temporary addition to their number. There is some question of how Dan and Annetta would return to the company of the others, but after some insisting the others pressed on. About a mile up the road, they rediscover their supposedly stranded companions, now plus two revived mercenaries. While Neb's man who was previously peppered with arrows is still well equipped and prepared to do his duties, if he's a bit spooked, the other is wearing only a plain beige linen robe. Apparently, his incinerated armor and weapons weren't salvageable, though his utter destroyed body was... None of them will answer any questions on the subject, but simply return to their places on the cart and in the chariots, and once again things are under way.

Come night fall, they stop to make camp.

(It is later! Sorry for all the delays.)

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:31 am

Leothe's contribution to the proceedings had been fairly minimal. Truth be told, his unalloyed gratitude towards their rescuers had been shattered by Charles's threat towards their captive. He would never be able to look at the man in the same way again.

Thankfully, the others had reined him in in short order. Leothe could only assume that advisers and generals kept the king reined in during his everyday life. The resurrection of their companions certainly added a bright spot to a day greatly in need of them. He didn't press for details. It was enough to know that they were now alive.

With nightfall, Leothe set about the usual tasks that accompanied setting camp. That a watch would need to be posted went without saying, though they would likely need to sort out new arrangements for sentry duty with the larger group.

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

*angst? Maybe! half asleep when finished? Yes v_v*

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:31 am

For what feels like the thirtieth time this evening, Daniel finishes another short patrol around the campsite. As far as he can tell, nothing of note seem to be out there. Given their earlier encounter, this should be a very good thing. Unfortunately for Daniel, it means plenty of time to think to himself.

Much as Annetta likely fears, a part of him can't stop thinking about their recent activities. He desperately wants to talk about the events that transpired. But given their conversation, Daniel understands her need for the silence. Keeping that promise will make his conversations difficult for awhile. The other recent events, however, may make this concern moot. Everyone in their make-shift caravan is keeping to themselves in silence. As he glances around the camp, his eyes stop on the likely source of that silence.

He finds himself thinking back to years ago, when he officially became a Knight of Doma. At the time, he was unsure about accepting the title and responsibility. There were so many other lands out there, other evils that needed to be dealth with. He wondered if dedicating himself to one nation was the right decision.

What ended up making him say yes, was a long talk with King Charles. The man told him stories about his father, the previous monarch of Doma. He spoke of the man's desire to rule Doma with an iron fist, and the many unspeakable things done to maintain that control. At times, it made Daniel sick to his stomach to think about. When he was finished, Charles admitted his greatest fear. Becoming just like his own father. That fear, and his desire to see Doma prosper, were what drove him to do all he could for his citizens. And that, ultimately, was why Daniel felt proud to serve as his Knight.

...yet today, he heard Charles acting like the very thing he claimed to despise.

Daniel wonders about his loyalties to the Doman crown. Was anything he thought of his king and his country true? Had he truly been serving a nation of freedom? Or was all of it a lie? Did he risk his life, the life of family and friends, simply for a lie?

He knows there's only one person who can answer those questions. Sooner or later, he needs to talk to Charles. He needs to truly know where the Doman Monarch stands.

But not tonight.

Tonight, there's more pressing business. Namely, making sure no one else has to die today. Especially Trevor. So for now, he simply continues his rounds of the camp, circling for what feels like the thirtyfirst time....

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:15 pm

It was a good day to be done with in Myrnal's mind. Entirely too many people had annoyed her for one reason or another. Those new people they were trying to help with the exception of the woman Neb--whose name Myrnal had finally overheard--were largely an annoyance. Clearly the woman who had dragged Daniel off was a more powerful mage than Myrnal had anticipated but what mattered was that Annetta had kept her word, and Daniel had come back. Annetta could keep her mysteries and her secrets for now. She was neither friendly enough nor superficially interesting enough for Myrnal to spend much time puzzling out her capabilities and origin.

Neb... seemed sensible. Probably trustworthy enough if it came to that. The others--including the temporarily-deceased--were also none of her business. It was a curiosity to be travelling with royalty and potentially-eccentric strangers (and in fact Myrnal's grandmother would undoubtedly demand gossip when they returned), but Myrnal tried not to dwell on it. She didn't want to have a long talk with Charles about what had happened because she'd spent months avoiding long talks with the monarch who'd taken a stroll through her subconscious. Trevor... was a stranger even if Dan seemed to like him well enough.

In fact, the person on Myrnal's mind for the most part was still circling around the camp, making a dizzying vigilant orbit around them. Myrnal sat cross-legged on the ground with her back to the fire, idly sharpening one of her throwing knives. Dan was annoying her as well, though not really through any fault of his. Myrnal wasn't precisely hiding the reason she'd come, but there might be trouble when the man realized it.

This had happened on her last job, though then there'd been a formal agreement. Part of the contract was that the woman not learn why Myrnal was following her, but of course she eventually had. Myrnal didn't care enough to hide it well after a certain point. Of course, Daniel would never react the same way. Myrnal didn't expect the same treatment from Dan after he found out--which she was certain he would eventually--and that made it even more irritating to be less than open about it.

So she didn't say anything. She sat silently, watching Dan pace. Now and again he disappeared from her field of view, and she waited until he came back. She'd tolerated him wandering off once at his insistence. He wasn't going to get away with it again.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:58 pm

Charles was eating crackers. There were other foods he could be consuming, but as his age advanced, he noticed his once-taut body was starting to become noticeably softer in spots. Crackers, he had observed, were the only thing he could really snack on without a mammoth beer belly being just over the horizon. And, of course, snacking was the only way he could deal with anxiety without him breaking down or losing his mind.

What was he thinking? What was he THINKING? Oh... right, he thought. The security of the nation. That should always be priority one. Ugh. It didn't occur to him till recently that nations like his did not deserve to exist unless they were moral institutions, things that made the world better because they were there. What better way to say "This mission is worthless" than to have the leader show a complete lack of character?

Well, Charles concluded, the only way to remedy the situation is to regain the faith of my subordinates. How that happens, I'm not sure. But it'll happen, somehow. I'll think of something.

I ALWAYS think of something.

Myrnal. She had been, as of yet, the only one who had not tacitly or overtly shown disgust at his act. Presumably because she didn't care, but he'd take that over hatred. He could use someone who could talk to him without glaring.

Well, glaring about the thing he just did.

He plopped down beside her, proffering up the box of squared goodness. "Cracker?"

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:22 pm

There was something blocking her view. Pair of legs. Oh, great, she thought. Here it comes.

The request for crackers was a sham. She knew it and so did he. What he really meant was, 'I just wanted to tell you I think it's totally cute that you're willing to tag along without being asked and by the way I was curious about your mom.'

So Myrnal said the only thing that seemed sufficiently standoffish. "No." If she'd thought for a moment she would realize that Charles probably didn't have many other people to talk to at the moment who wouldn't bring up what a colossal dick he must surely be. Myrnal had made enough mistakes in her day, done more harm than Charles possibly could have by making a couple of empty threats. People needed to get a little perspective on what constituted dangerous degrees of evil. Myrnal couldn't deny being more than a little jaded, but for now it worked in the king's favor.

"But crackers, your highness? Don't you royal-types only eat lark's-tongue pies and sauteed rhemoraz? Crackers seem a little beneath your dignity."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:13 pm

Annetta had situated herself on a rock. Not any specific rock, really. Just a smooth one that she could situate herself on without worry. Every now and then, she got up and paced a moment, but then returned to her rock. She also, roughly every five minutes, looked back in the direction of the fight. She made little to no eye contact with Dan, and not once removed the scarf from around her face. She probably wasn't hungry, anyway.

Internally, the lamented about how the task had become substantially harder now due to poor planning on both her part and those she worked with. Then again, knowing Him, it may very well be intentional. Ha ha, going to stop Annetta from using the things that make her life easy. Someday she'd give him a good one. After all, she was the muscle of the group.

Maybe she'd protect him by the stairs. He's always been fond of that joke.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:57 am

"Maybe it's beneath the dignity of kings who want to get fat and order people around for no good reason all day. There is a six pack of abdominal muscles underneath my garments, and I intend to keep them until they're too saggy to keep their shape, thank you very much."

He ended his sentence with the defiant snap of the cracker in his mouth. Smirking, he looked inside the box, shaking it, as if staring into the bottom of a tea cup, trying to divine the secrets of the universe in its leavings. "Y'know, I really am glad you're here. Plans would be just fine with the original cast, but you're like a ... special guest star. You ensure success." That should do, he thought. Personal enough to matter, but hands-off enough for her to not think I'm trying to psychoanalyze. Probably.

"Um... have you been to Baron before?"

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:27 am

This was a very, very strange trip.

In Neb's experience, when men died, they usually stayed dead. Granted, there were a few exceptions to this rule (oh who was she kidding, in the city she came from, there were several exceptions to this rule), and while she certainly wasn't complaining that the mercenaries were walking again (less awkward explanations to their families, if they had any), it didn't quite rest right with her. She had guessed earlier that the man...Dan, was it?...who saved her was some sort of holy man. She also knew that Annetta knew a bit of healing, as well as combat; in fact, it was one of the reasons she had been hired.

But two men being brought back from the dead? This was beyond their scope. There were two explanations in her mind: the mercenaries had some powerful friends in high places, or one of the healers (or perhaps both) were more powerful than they were letting on.

Well, now seems as good a time as any, she thought to herself, as she walked towards Annetta's rock. As soon as she was in speaking range, she cleared her throat, and politely asked, "Mind some company?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:30 am

Annetta's head jerked Nebwise, she clearly wasn't expecting someone to come in on her little rock. "..Erm..I suppose that would be okay, yes."

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:34 am

Neb nods, and sits down on the ground away from Annetta. She's close enough for a private conversation, but leaves enough room to give Annetta a reasonable amount of personal space.

"I was wondering," she started, her voice sounding distant. "What happened back there?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:37 am

"We were ambushed." Annetta says simply, looking back to the site. "That's more or less what happened. Afterwards, I assisted the good Paladin in weaving a spell of ressurection."

She never returned her gaze to Neb, continuing to look into the horizon.

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:34 am

"Hn," she replied. Ensure success my ass. He didn't need the whole explanation. He didn't need to know the ins and outs of why everything she touched collapsed, and why everyone who dared to give a damn about her always ended up getting hurt. It wasn't going to happen this time, not if Myrnal could help it.

"No, I haven't. But there are some people there I want to see." The Gellentaras were a west Baronian family, and Myrnal was curious to see if Anira had any surviving relatives. If I have any, she corrected herself. Thinking about Anira as some separate extra-familial entity wasn't actually going to help this time. It was one layer of denial that Myrnal might actually have to do without for a little while.

"Why do you ask? It's not like I need to learn another language to get by."

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:44 pm

So it was them Neb thought quickly, before turning her head towards Annetta. "If that's the case, then why the secrecy? There would have been a lot less worry if we knew what was going on."

Neb couldn't help but feel nervous as she spoke. While the healing arts weren't her forte, she knew that there was powerful magic at work. Not to mention that the paladin seemed to be acting rather strangely after he returned...

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:19 pm

The king smirked. "The snarky reply to that would be I'd hope you had a few sniper perches already picked out. The real answer? I'm just making conversation. It would be NICE if you already knew the layout, but it's not deadly necessary. I'm sure you've had to make your way through unfamiliar terrain before, anyways."

Myrnal was... Myrnal was a puzzle. A puzzle BOX, really. There were all these intricate devices on the surface of her, carefully laid out and triplechecked, to best keep those outside from opening up all the secrets that lay within. The most infuriating thing about her was that he felt he already been transported directly WITHIN that box, but was torn out before he could really see how things ticked. He knew she needed her privacy, and he would never violate that, but still... Myrnal Shalienza had a sign over her, bright and unyielding, that seemed to say "SOLVE ME", and Charles absolutely abhorred a mystery.

But the mystery could wait another day. Mysteries like her often forced such a condition, and he was a patient, patient, man.

Through a mouth newly refilled with cracker pieces, he added, "You'd actually be surprised. A lot of Baronians have accents so thick you could cut them with a knife. Not to mention there are a few local terms they use that... you WILL need a translator, trust me.

"... and don't think I'll do it. I'll be right there beside you, needing a decryption..."

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:15 pm

Just making conversation. So he persisted in this protracted effort at pulling information out of her. So be it. Perhaps he knew where her mother had been from, but he didn't know that she knew he knew. And that was how Myrnal would keep it. He clearly underestimated her wariness on the subject, and Myrnal was certain she was more than equal to the task of blocking him off at every turn. She had to be. The consequences of failure would be-- well, she didn't actually know what the consequences would be. Just that they would be terrible.

"I may. I may not. I can always make him do it," she nodded forward at Daniel's continuing orbit around the camp. "So why are you so keen on coming along if it's going to be such a pain? Just... for moral support on a much grander diplomatic level?"

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:59 pm

He chuckled. If only... It would be so nice for him to just be a cheerleader on this, a pompom waver, but if all he was around for was "moral" support, he failed miserably.

"Oh, that would be nice, surely, but really, this is a jeweled egg of a mission. I could entrust it to my exact duplicate, and I still would be ill at ease leaving it to someone else." He paused for a moment. "But that's a bad choice of words, seeing as I HAVE one and he's... well... another story."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:01 am

Annetta didn't have an answer right away. Instead, she looked up at the sky, before returning her gaze to Neb. "I have my reasons."

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Advice courtesy of ze GM!

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:05 pm

As Daniel completes yet another round about their camp, he happens to catch sight of Myrnal speaking with Charles. For a moment, he feels a bit of relief. It means someone is watching out for the Doman monarch, so he can concentrate on the patrol. He tells himself to thank Myrnal later for looking after Charles so well.

But as quickly as that relief comes, the reality of the situation enters his thoughts. Aside from asking earlier if he was ok (for what felt like a dozen times), Myrnal didn't say much about the incident with Charles. Now a whole new set of worries occupy his mind, along with the dread of talking to Charles. Despite a trip into her mind, which gave him uncomfortably close insight into her past, he honestly knows little about who Myrnal is. He has no idea about her feelings toward Charles, or his intentions. And because of that, he has no idea what to expect from the two of them talking. Would they be civil? Or was their the risk of either snapping and getting violent?

With those fears in mind, he decides to assess the situation. Rather than simply walking over and asking directly, he decides to speak to them under another pretense. As he comes around the camp once more, Daniel purposely walks close to the monarch and mercenary. Once he's close enough, and has their attention, Daniel stands straight, getting into an 'official' stance to report the situation.

"Everything around the perimeter of the camp is clear so far, your highness." Daniel reports to Charles. He waits for a response, occasionally glancing over at Myrnal.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Field rations. Hardly a tasty meal, but oh so satisfying to the stomach when you're hungry. He takes a few bites out of the bar of nourishment, leaning against one of the wagons and observing the camp.

Trevor knew going into this, there would be many moments to test their morale and resolve. But he never expected it to happen so soon, let alone for Charles to be the source. This whole situation had turned most of his thoughts and plans upside down, as he found himself unable to trust in Charles anymore. Despite that, however, he had to press forward. Words from his childhood come to mind, as he hears the words of his chancellor in his mind:

"Nothing ever goes precisely according to plan, Trevor. The Gods may know all things, but men have no such boon and can't plan accordingly. When the unexpected comes to pass, you must be ready to adapt to it."

As much as he disliked proving the man right at times, he was spot on with that advice. There was no use sitting around brooding about recent events. His homeland still needs saving, and he needs to work out what to do next. And as he looks around the camp, one important part comes to mind.

Kobakk.

The orc kept to himself at the camp, a common theme with the group of late. To Trevor, at least, it felt like Kobakk was remorseful about earlier. The important question, however, is what the remorse was for. He would need to find this out for himself.

Standing himself up, Trevor crosses the camp and heads toward Kobakk. Once he's close enough, he taps the man on the shoulder. In his other hand, he holds out an unopened ration bar.

"Care to share in some deliciously bland nutrition?" he asks.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:11 pm

Charles smirked. He knew this stance very well by now. It told him that Daniel was feeling like his usual neurotic self. He was glad to see it, though, because at the least, the earlier incident was not at the forefront of his mind. He had hope now, that his threats would be thought of as a slip-up, and not repeated and repeatable behaviour.

"Excellent, Daniel," he cheerily replied. "Now take a break. Eat a cracker. Myrnal was just telling me her entire life story, including former lovers, childhood bullies, and various math test results." Inside, he was chuckling. Myrnal dodged questions like this when he was INSIDE HER MIND. Now at least it would be nice to see the squirming on her face.

He turned to the introverted warrior, grinning like a cheshire cat. "Now, what was that, 67% on fractions? I'm sure you didn't put your all into that..."

Kobakk didn't know how to stand. Part of him wanted to lean on his swak, but it was just barely too short to do that comfortably. There weren't really any trees to lean against, and he was afraid he'd push over one of the carts. So, he just stood, staring at the horizon, arms crossed, thinking. Thinking...

All of a sudden, he felt the tapping on his shoulder, and was surprised by his king offering him som food. Though he wasn't really hungry, and he always preferred something meaty, he smiled, and took the bar. "Thank you, Highness... er... Trevor... whichever, thank you. How is everyone else doing?"

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:58 am

Leothe had found himself a comfortable spot on a rock some distance from the fire, and had settled in to keep watch. This allowed him a chance to reflect upon the day's events. They'd been lucky today. But, looked at another way, perhaps it was the other group who'd been lucky. The trap they'd ridden into had clearly been meant for them, and they'd been in a position to launch an attack of their own, rather than taking the ambush on the chin.

Now the groups were traveling together for mutual protection. Which was fine in theory, except that Leothe rather suspected that royalty rated a much higher class of mortal enemy than a lone wagon, full of valuables or not. He wasn't particularly comfortable with that idea.

However, it was clear that just being in the same neighbourhood as the royals was enough to make them a target. Put that way, they might as well band together. Still, Leothe suspected that the next few days were going to be rather nerve-wracking.

Periodically, he'd see Sir Hyral walking past on patrol of the perimeter. The others seemed to be taking the opportunity to do a bit of quiet talking, whether on watch or not.

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:22 pm

Myrnal held back a snarl at Charles' implication, even though he was obviously lying. It should have been clear to anyone. From the way Daniel had been glancing at Myrnal, though... she wasn't so certain he'd realize it. Just what did he think they were talking about? Perhaps Daniel thought that the king was learning something that Daniel himself didn't know, and was coming over to eavesdrop. Likely. After all, Myrnal had no guarantee that he shared his brother's discretion. For all she knew Domanada and Hyral were in cahoots, part of some invasive and inexplicable plan to wrench information out of her.

By this point her conjecture had become utterly unreasonable, and even Myrnal knew it. Far more likely that neither of them actually cared about any of that. If Daniel cared he would have asked, and she'd already had words with the king about what he'd seen of her memories. There was nothing to share, and no one here actually cared to know more than they did.

Satisfied by this rather exhausting knotted reasoning, Myrnal just shrugged. "His Royal Highness is being a lying Sack of Royal Shit. We weren't talking about anything. Now have a seat and quit making me dizzy walking in circles all night."

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

This took way longer than it should have x_x

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:19 pm

Daniel can't help feeling a bit ackward, especially with Myrnal loudly swearing at the King and all. But at the least, neither seemed ready to harm the other. In that sense, he could finally find a small sense of relief.

At least, he did until Myrnal asked him to stay and chat.

Daniel does a poor job of hiding his feelings about it. From the look on his face, it's somewhat obvious he's not entirely thrilled about the request. Of all the people here, both are honestly the last people he feels comfortable talking with right now. With Charles, the reason is obvious. But in Myrnal's case, it's somewhat more complicated.

Months ago, a very dangerous man held Myrnal and another woman hostage. He hid within the plane of dreams, using the woman's dreams to control them. In order to save them, Daniel found himself traveling into Myrnal's dreams, and in some sense her mind as well. While there, he saw several things about her past. Things Daniel felt he shouldn't have seen.

Now he finds himself torn. Part of him wants to respect her privacy, and simply not discuss it. At the same time, however, he doesn't feel right just ignoring it. If there is something he can do to ease her pain, or help her come to terms with that past, he'd like to help. Myrnal being a dear friend to his brother is another big factor as well.

Unsure of what to say, he opts to avoid saying as much as possible.

"...if it's alright with both of you, I'll just stick to keeping watch. Someone should be anyway, might as well be me."

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~..~.~

Trevor briefly glances at the rest of the camp, then turns back to Kobakk.

"It seems we've all come down with a case of ackward silence. Not that I really blame anyone, given the circumstances."

He takes a seat on the ground near the orc, snapping into another portion of his ration bar.

"And what about you?"

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:22 pm

Myrnal sighed. There had to be some way of indicating to Dan that she wanted him around, that he should just relax and stop being so panicky all the time. There were plenty of other people to keep watch, and it wasn't like Myrnal intended to let anything happen to him anyway. Having Daniel be so stilted and standoffish was making Myrnal feel more awkward than she already did, which was no small task. She would feel better if he just... unwound around her. For once. It was weird enough that her first meaningful introduction to the man had been finding him striding through the place her life had begun. The last thing she needed was him tiptoeing around her like she could explode at any second.

It was something of a struggle trying to find some way to ease Daniel's mind without actually seeking any kind of real emotional intimacy with the man. Somewhat stuck for an answer, Myrnal compromised.

"For fuck's sake, Daniel. You have been walking in circles all night. Sit the fuck down or I'll tack you to the dirt by your pant leg."

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:07 pm

Kobakk sighed. "I'm... OK. I have to be." He breathed in deep, straightening his stance. "I have to be strong for this mission, right? Tough, untouchable... hard as flint."

He bit into the bar, trying not to grimace. Oat and overripe fruit were not things he found appetizing, but he tried to swallow it down anyways. "Are you going to be alright with the rest of the mission?"

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:06 am

Trevor chuckles softly, taking another bite out of his bar.

"To be honest? I'm not sure, really. But regardless of that, I have to be. I can't expect to help anyone back home, if I can't deal with problems like this one."

He looks around the camp, and takes note of Daniel. The man finally stopped his dizzying patrol earlier, and is now speaking with Charles and his rather striking companion. Trevor senses from his actions thus far, that the man is still loyal to Charles. Perhaps a bit shaken up by it, but obviously not enough to cease his duties. Part of him can't help but admire the man's dedication.

...at the same time, however, recent events come to mind. He wonders if perhaps, the man's loyalty is in part to blame for this. Had the man turned a blind eye to activity like this before? Did he simply assume his ruler knew best, even in the face of evidence to the contrary?

Thinking on this, Trevor knows what he has to do next. Even if it's something he feels uncomfortable bringing up.

"...Kobakk, there's something I need to ask you."

Trevor stares at the ration bar in his hands, rolling it between his fingers. He seems hesitant to speak for a few moments. Then he looks up, glancing straight into the orc's eyes.

"If I had ask you, instead of Charles, would you have still done it?"

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Daniel just stares at Myrnal a moment, feeling very odd. He has a strange feeling of familiarity, when she starts yelling at him to sit down. Knowing his sibling, Daniel can probably guess why they get along so well.

Part of him wants to make another excuse, and just get up and get away from both of them. But part of him also knows he's just delaying the inevitable. At some point, he'll have to talk to both of them. And truth be told, now is probably as good a time as any.

With a hint of reluctance evident in his expression, Daniel sits himself down with Myrnal and the King.

"So... um... how are things?" he asks.

Almost immediately after the words come out of his mouth, the man is mentally kicking himself for speaking first. If he's making any attempt to hide how ackward he feels, Daniel is doing a pretty horrible job.

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:37 am

Myrnal nodded slowly, unsure how to deal with someone even more socially awkward than herself. Perhaps if she were a little warmer or knew Daniel a little better she would be able to think of some way to put him at ease. As it was she didn't want to talk about the king because people were getting all finicky about him earlier, yet she didn't want to talk about herself either. That never ended well. The answer at that point would have been to talk about Daniel by process of elimination, but what was she supposed to ask?

Fuck, she thought. This is hard.

"Things... are fine." She nodded over toward his former path round and round the camp. "How 'bout you? You seem antsy."

PreviousNext

Return to Gaera Main RPs