Belelmund: The Folly of Sitanest

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:03 pm

Charles turned around. "Oh, this isn't about the future of Doma right now. This is about YOUR future. Really, about whether or not you WANT one. All up to you."

He looked to Kobakk, his back to the girl, and mouthed the words, "A little acting, please?" Ever since he started listening to what the king was saying, he was a little dumbfounded. He would never... he HAD never done that before. And even when he was in the deepest of rages, he always had that moment of control, that spark that told him not to do something. No matter what kind of monster he could become, he would NEVER do such a thing.

The king saw his hesitation, and mouthed "Please?" pleadingly one more time.

Kobakk breathed in, and grinned, and chuckled, like those of his race he had encountered before. He wasn't going to like this. "A moment more, Highness. I don't want to hurt myself." He chuckled again. "I would look foolish..."

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Neb followed her companions back to the wagon, where the woman was being deposited. They weren't just random brigands, they were random brigands who attacked her wagon and her companions and gods damn it all she wanted some answers. She was prepared to do such, but was interrupted by a sharp pain in her belly. The adrenaline from the battle had worn off, reminding her all too well that she was not in the best of conditions.

While the King continued to interrogate the prisoner (unsuccessfully, which she would comment on if she was in a better state; to be honest, she could barely focus on what was being said), she rummaged around for another potion. The healers could take the time to rest up instead of worrying about her.

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:26 pm

Daniel just stands there... staring at Charles and blinking in disbelief.

He couldn't have just heard that.

He didn't just hear his ruler... his King... say what he just said.

He just... that couldn't have been what just happened...

...Right?

He glances around the gathered group, trying to see if anyone else is sharing that feeling. As his gaze falls upon Trevor, he notes another disturbing turn of events. The former king is also staring at Charles, but unlike Daniel his expression is not one of disbelief.

It is one of fury and anger.

The blonde man walks over to Charles, with one fist clenched tight and shaking. His other hand grabs the king by the shoulder, turning Charles to look him in the face.

"Charles." Trevor tells him, with the slightest hint of a growl audible to those listening, "I need to speak with you. NOW."

He then looks over at Kobakk, his expression softening somewhat to a look of disappointment.

"And you too."

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:29 pm

"King or not..." Annetta began, calmly. "This woman WILL NOT be harmed in my presence. Is that completely understood?"
Hey there! Can I give you a hand?

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:33 pm

There's something... strange about the air when Annetta speaks. Everyone present feels immensely less comfortable for just a moment. The feeling seems to underline her words. But then it passes. How peculiar...

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:45 pm

Myrnal scratched her head and wondered if there was really anything she could do here. Truthfully she felt bad for the orc, even though she didn't know him. She'd known enough goblins in her life who got a rough deal for no good reason to wonder what Kobakk was really thinking. He'd... just been publically called a rapist, and no matter how much he trusted Charles he couldn't possibly appreciate that.

Myrnal wouldn't have stood for it, but then she and Kobakk were plainly very different people.

To his credit, Trevor didn't seem to appreciate the slur against what appeared to be a perfectly decent guy, and Myrnal was relieved to note that she didn't have to give the consideration and sensitivity lessons. It... wasn't her strong point and perhaps the more politically-minded among them could be trusted with it.

She nodded to Annetta. "Yeah, nobody be a jackass, please."

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:47 pm

Now that it was thoroughly obvious that she had a protective cover of angry ladies with sharp pointy things on her side, she sat smugly in place. The sight of that strange man with the beard telling off the King and the orc probably helped, too.

Still, she managed to reign herself in before long. After all, she was still bound up and under guard...

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:49 pm

"Now," Annetta began. "It looks to me like you had no motive, outside of stealing what was being carried and getting away with it. Is that correct?"

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:54 pm

She looks up at Annetta, her expression a mask of faux innocence.

"Oh, of COURSE."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:01 pm

"Well, if there was more to it..."

Annetta leaned in, making sure the lower half of her face was still covered by her scarf.

"...Now would be a good time to come clean."

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:06 pm

Again that strange feeling washes over the party. It doesn't take a mage to figure out that Annetta is doing something funny at this point. The mage, for her part, doesn't look particularly impressed.

"I have nothing else to say. ... Did you plan to do this all day? Some of us have other things to do."

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:19 pm

Daniel isn't sure what to do.

Part of him wants to follow the two Kings, and ask what the hell just happened. He's still not sure he saw or heard what just happened. But given the angry look on Trevor's face, he suspects it would be best not to. Instead, he simply waits while the dethroned monarch speak with Charles for a few minutes.

The other part of him struggles to think of some way to help with the other situation. Namely, the uncooperative captive. Logically, he knows intimidation is sometimes necessary to get information. But when he tries to do so, he come across as the exact opposite. Someone you know won't hurt you. Someone just trying to help others.

...but maybe, that COULD help in this case. She wouldn't answer Annetta's questions about the reason for the attack. But if he asks her about something else, and she's willing to give some kind of answer... maybe it could lead to the truth indirectly. At this point, given her responses, he doesn't see much to lose in trying.

"...if you won't answer her questions, maybe you can answer mine instead." Daniel asks, standing near Annetta, "I'd like to know why you tried to kill these people. Why were you all so willing to take the lives of strangers?"

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:44 pm

She looked at Dan in disbelief. Then, as if chiding a small child, she replies:

"You don't think the nice bodyguards were going to GIVE us all their stuff, do you?"

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:03 am

The sympathy level in the Doman knight quickly drops, his expression turning to one of intense scorn.

"That doesn't answer my question. Out of all the possible ways to get what you want, why take the lives of these people? "

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:36 am

She blinks at Dan. For the first time since this whole fiasco of an interrogation began, she loses her air of insolence. However, scorn and malice creep in to take it's place.

"... You really believe that, don't you?"

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:48 am

There is a momentary look of confusion on Daniel's face, tilting his head to the side a little before he responds to the woman.

"...believe what? That killing people is wrong? Of course it is. I couldn't call myself a follower of Ishtar if I didn't believe that."

The Doman knight leans his head back up straight, then speaks again before the woman can talk.

"And before you jump to conclusions, no, I'm not stupid enough to think there aren't times it's necessary. But I'm having a hard time seeing how you can justify it in this case. Unless you'd like to enlighten me on that?"

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:51 am

She sneers.

"Actually, I was referring to you thinking that a group of armed men and women would happily hand over their valuables because we said "pretty please", you insipid tome thumping twit."

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:18 am

After the potion, Neb was in far greater spirits than before. The pain faded away, her mind became clearer, and she felt a rush of adrenaline and a sense of relief as her body healed. It seemed like, if only for a moment, the world had become a brighter place.

Of course, this all faded away once she snapped back to reality, and began watching the interrogation. She frowned as she watched the prisoner continue her backtalk, seemingly caring little, if at all, about her position. This simply would not do.

"No, they wouldn't have," she said coolly, a neutral expression on her face. In the back of her mind she thought, at least, that's not what I paid them for, but she felt little need to voice that aloud. After clearing her throat, she continued. "But you still haven't explained what you're doing here. Those sellsword twins I understand, but rarely do mages become common brigands. Teachers, merchants, and megalomaniacs, yes, but highwaymen? That's a rarity."

She paused, cocking her head to the side and raising a single brow. "Unless, of course, they were either truly desperate, or thought that there was something more unique than just dry goods and old antiques."

Neb sincerely hoped that it was the former. If this group knew that they were going to Baron for more than just business, things could get troublesome.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:21 am

On the one hand, Neb knew from the hateful expression on the elven woman's face, she had apparently either hit the nail on the head, or come very close. However, she doesn't learn much else just yet, because she also clams right up once Neb's finished speaking.

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:31 am

Neb just sits back, crosses her leg over the other, and places her hands on her lap, meanwhile keeping eye contact with the elf. While her face appeared to be the epitome of calm detachment, inside she felt a knot of worry tightening at her stomach. They knew, damn it somehow they knew.

...now if only she actually knew who "they" were.

"First of all," she said, sounding almost conversational, "let's start from the beginning. How did you know we were coming this way?"

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:48 am

She stares at Neb for a minute longer, and then sighs.

"Look, we were hired to attack and kill the first big, important looking wagon that came down the road, alright? Yours looked the part. Make a lot of wreckage, kill everyone there, loot the bodies and leave. ... If you people aren't going to kill me, would you just shut up and get me to a jail already? I'm safer inside than out, since you all lived."

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:32 am

"Yeah, well. Oops," Myrnal quipped.

The ninja shook her head. Mercenaries frequently ended up being each other's enemies, but she wondered if she ever looked this stupid and irresponsible to her enemies. It was possible. Though of course, most of them were dead. She might never know.

At least I know not to hire HER anytime soon. Just do things my damn self.

It was then that she realized. She understood her mother a little better now than she did when she woke up that morning. All those years of goblin lackeys and attempts at organizing them... eventually Anira had succeeded, but at what cost? The cost of her patience, from what Myrnal remembered. Thankfully Myrnal still had some left, or she'd have done what her mother taught her to do and finished off whatever stragglers from this little band of dacoits and never worried about them again.

There was also the fact that this woman could well have been after their wagons. Myrnal almost wished they'd left sooner. Maybe then she'd have gotten a chance to kill one instead of waiting back while Dan went and had all the fun. It was wasted on Daniel anyway. It was like he didn't even enjoy fighting.

This whole situation was profoundly retarded. Myrnal decided to let this one take care of interrogation and things. She could apparently be trusted to be firm without being insane. Good trait to have. Myrnal approved.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:25 pm

Charles eyed the reactions to his threats of violence. At least it loosened lips...

As Kobakk was still a bit of a ways off from the bulk of the action, he jerked his head towards the orc, for a sort of conference meeting. There was something in the monarch that made him chew his lip. Overtly, he regretted no part of his actions. But when ANYONE turned the mirror on him like that, despite how justified he felt, despite how justified he WAS, it would always make him uneasy.

Kobakk did not have that luxury. As soon as he saw his monarch's face, he was crestfallen. It did not click to him how this would make Trevor feel, and to disappoint his king was the last thing on his mind.

He would not enjoy the next few moments...

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:32 pm

"Just a few more questions," she said. "If you don't mind." Not waiting for the elf to answer either way, she continued. "When does your employer expect to hear ...ah, results?"

In a way, the situation was both better and far worse than Neb had expected. On the bright side, it didn't look like they, specifically, were the targets - it was just an unfortunate coincidence. However, from what little the elf told them, the entire situation seemed more ominous that she previously thought.

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:43 pm

Back home, prior to his exile, Trevor had a somewhat infamous reputation with the royal court of Baron. Publically, he always strived to maintain the proper behavior of a monarch. He chose his words carefully when addressing his subjects, discussing the policies of the nation, and negotiating with foreign ambassadors.

Privately, however, he tried the patience of many in the court. Out of the public eye, he saw no real need to maintain a strict regal aire. He found it much more comfortable to just be himself. Even in his dealing with Charles, once they got to know one another well, his laidback attitude caused much concern with his advisors. Trevor, however, felt it helped to keep him grounded. It reminded him he was just an ordinary man, even with the responsibilities of a nation on his shoulders.

Unfortunately for Charles, there are no signs of that laidback, friendly attitude right now. Nothing but contempt is in the former monarch's eyes, as Trevor simply glares for a few moments.

"...in my short time in this world, I've witnessed many horrible things, Charles." Trevor begins to say, "Things no man, woman, or child should have to experience. But what I just heard come out of your mouth, ranks among the most despicable of all."

He passes a quick glance to Kobakk, then turns his attention back to the Doman Monarch.

"I can't believe that you, the leader of a nation like Doma, with more freedom and diversity than many others on Igalia, would say such a thing. I can't believe you, an example to the people of your country, actually threatened such a horrible crime on anyone. I thought the Charles I knew respected his people and their freedom. But now, I have to question that."

Trevor stops briefly to catch his breath, taking in a deep one before he continues.

"I don't care what your excuses are for saying such things. As far as I'm concerned, there is no justifiable reason for it. I always looked up to your, Charles, and the rich diversity and freedom you allowed in Doma. But if this is how you truly feel, if this is the kind of thing you consider doing behind closed doors..."

He seems to hesitate for a moment, appearing indecisive about his next words. But after taking another deep breath, he continues.

"...if this is what your people have to go through, then I wonder if Igalia would have been better off with Malachias."

He takes a few steps closer to Charles, getting nearly nose to nose with him.

"The only reason I'm not walking away from here right now, is because I need all the help I can get. But so help me, if you EVER try something so henious again, I will take my leave of your company and go on my own. I would rather die with my family's honor intact, than be associated with someone like you. "

He takes a few steps back, then turns to Kobakk, his expression more sad than angry.

"...as for you, Kobakk. You have no idea, just how much I'm disappointed in you. And it saddens me, to think how many back home would be as well. You've always been an example of why we shouldn't judge on race, why we should welcome foreigners into Baron with open arms. But all you've done today, is prove the isolationists right. I hope you're pleased with yourself."

He then looks over at Charles, narrowing his eyes into a glare.

"I hope you're both happy with what you've done today."

Without waiting for a response for either man, Trevor takes his leave and heads back to the wagons. He doesn't want to hear excuses from either of them. He just wants to be alone and think about what just happened today.

"...Odin help us..." The former monarch thinks to himself.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:30 pm

This would all be so much easier if her people could get involved, Annetta thought to herself. "No harm will come to you. Just tell us what we need to know to ensure it."

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:56 pm

She was starting to speak, when Annetta talked over her. She looked annoyed, but went on:

"We were supposed to tell this guy in the Capital tonight how things went. He also put a magic sigil on us when we left, though. ... Much as we didn't, ah 'appreciate' that, it was pretty clear we couldn't take him in a fight. Anyway, not sure what it's for. He could be watching us now."

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:28 am

"In that case, we should get going," she said, looking from the prisoner to her companions. "We can save the rest of our questions for when we're on the road. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't want to risk getting picked off by whatever cronies her boss has at his - or her - disposal."

Neb then glanced outside the wagon, and sighed. "We also need to do something about the bodies, while we're at it. I don't suppose you can help with that?" Now her attentions were focused on Dan.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:06 pm

"Ah, about that..." Annetta began, standing again. "Sir...Daniel? Could I see you, for a moment? In private?"

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:11 pm

Daniel appears confused by the woman's request, but nods as he responds.

"Sure, but I'd suggest being brief. I don't think staying here too long is a good idea either."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:12 pm

And thus does she take Dan to the side to speak with him.

In private~!

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:29 pm

Once the pair stop moving, Dan takes a moment to glance back at the rest of the group. It looks like some are starting the cleanup effort, something he feels bad about avoiding at the moment. He keeps this in mind, as he turns back to talk to Annetta.

"I assume this will be brief? I'd feel a bit strange not helping the others take care of the... um... departed."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:51 pm

"Yes, about that." Anita began. "I feel that, between the two of us, we can help them. But whatever happens, you must keep what you see to yourself. Completely to yourself. Can I trust you'll do that?"

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:56 pm

Dan had prepared himself for a few possible scenarios with the conversation.

The possibility that they were also thieves.
The possibility that Annetta was also someone important in hiding.
The possibility that they were transporting some kind of rare artifact.

He did not count on the woman asking him to, if he heard correctly, reversing the numerous deaths that just occured. His state of mind is somewhat obvious to Annetta, as the Doman knights appears surprised and confused at the same time.

"...I... well... I know a bit of the healing arts taught by Ishtar, yes... but I don't see what I can do. I don't have the power to resurrect anyone."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:57 pm

"Yes. But together, we can." Annetta replied.

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:06 pm

Daniel just stares at the woman for a moment, taken somewhat aback by this recent turn of events. He knows nothing about this woman, beyond her recent activities. She seems skilled with a blade, and some forms of the healing arts like himself. And yet, there is also that odd feeling from before, the one Daniel can't quite figure out.

He wonders about the consequences of agreeing. What if this secret is a risk to Doma, or even the entire continent of Igalia? Not only that, would knowing this secret put himself at risk? Kyra? Austin and Alicia?

...but as Daniel takes a moment to check back on the rest of the group, he's made painfully aware of the other consequences. Several dead people. People he may now have the power to help. To ignore that, whatever the justification, would go against everything he holds dear.

"...very well." Daniel says to Annetta, bringing his hands together before him and closing his eyes as if to pray, "I swear to you as a man of Ishtar, the Goddess of all life, that I will keep my word."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:09 pm

Though her face was covered by her scarf, Dan could tell Annetta was smiling.

"You've made the right choice."

She turns to the others, raising her voice. "You all get a move on. Daniel and I will catch up. If we're to tend to the dead, we need silence, and privacy."

With that, she turned, heading for the scene of the battle.

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:09 am

Neb gave the two of them a long look, before nodding her head. "Be careful," she said to Dan. "We still don't know what else is out there." As loathe as she was to leave the two of them out by themselves, there was little choice if they wanted to move quickly. All she could do was hope that they'd be able to keep each other safe.

She cleared her throat, and turned to the others. "And if you'll excuse me, I believe it's time to have a chat with his royal highness." Personal feelings aside, she sincerely hoped she'd be able to convince him that the two wagons should travel together - she'd hate to come this far only for one of the groups to get picked off on the road.

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:51 am

Myrnal watched passively as Daniel walked off with Annetta. Myrnal was quite certain she didn't trust this woman. After all, it was one thing to have an utter lack of people skills. Myrnal herself was guilty of that. This woman, though. She was smug, she was obnoxious, and to top it all off, Myrnal was getting the distinct impression that she was some form of psionicist. Which meant that she might soon be dead.

But she hadn't done anything yet, and hadn't made any moves against the short list of people Myrnal cared about. For now there was really one person on it, and he was wandering off with her. As she watched, it didn't look to Myrnal like Dan was being convinced to.... to agree to something, whatever it was... through anything other than normal means. From Myrnal's memory, agreements made under magical coercion tended to be a lot quicker than this. Generally a "do this thing," followed by "yes, ma'am."

Which wasn't what she was seeing. So she didn't much care.

Annetta called that they were all to "get a move on," whatever she thought that meant. But Myrnal had nowhere to go except with Dan, and no interest in this but his safety.

Myrnal stood exactly where she had been, and had little intention of moving. If it meant she stood there out of the way until Dan and Annetta were done, then she would wait until they were done. She didn't want to interfere with Dan, but these people were strangers and he was a friend.

"You can go ahead," she responded to Neb. So far this woman had come across as sensible enough, and hadn't annoyed her yet. Helpful factors. "He probably needs it. And by the way," she added with a jerk of her head toward where Annetta and Dan had headed. "Who the hell's she and what exactly was she doing back there?"

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:57 pm

As Daniel follows the veiled woman, he takes another glance back at the rest of the group. Most seem to be taking Annetta's suggestion, getting ready to move out. Myrnal, however, hasn't moved. In fact, she seems to be keeping a comfortable distance from himself and Annetta.

"I guess she's not comfortable with me being alone with her..." Daniel thinks to himself. A small part of him feels silly, that someone else feels the need to 'babysit' him. That feeling is rather brief, though, as he recalls the reality of the situation. Despite the woman's good intentions, both he and Myrnal know little about her and her capabilities. In that sense, he's grateful to have someone watching his back.

Feeling the need to let the knife for hire know in some way, Daniel looks Myrnal in the eyes briefly, smiling and mouthing the words:

"Thank You".

PreviousNext

Return to Gaera Main RPs