Belelmund: The Folly of Sitanest

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:51 pm

"I doubt they'll be willing to simply stand aside because we ask them to," Leothe said, taking in the ranks of soldiers on either side. He wouldn't want to try getting past either group on their own, let alone both together. "Still, they're not fighting yet, which means there's still hope. Any volunteers to try the diplomatic approach?"

They couldn't just keep detouring around everyone; it was a good bet that there'd be somebody sitting on top of any road they might take.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:53 am

Myrnal shook her head, held up her hands defensively as if to say, 'Not it.' Hopefully the point would get across that they really didn't want her handling things. She wasn't much for lies these days, beyond the obvious ones that needed telling, and Myrnal didn't trust herself to tell anyone else's lies for them. And what else was diplomacy?

Her face screwed into a deeper frown briefly. War. Blah. Wasn't there enough killing? Wasn't there enough blood on the hands of people like Myrnal to satisfy the gods that enough men and women had died in the dirt? Why did regular people have to kill each other on top of all that they'd lost to the villains and heroes who took life and death into their own hands?

She wondered how many of these people would be dead by morning, and whether they knew it or not. Probably they did. But if it could be stopped, Myrnal didn't know how. Stopping bloodshed wasn't on her list of skills.

"I agree that a neutral third party'd be good," Myrnal agreed. "But I dunno how we'd prove that's what we are. We'd need someone pretty convincingly caring and benevolent." She thought of Dan, as likely did at least some of the others. "But whoever goes should also have someone with them who isn't, to keep them safe." She thought of herself, as anyone would who knew her well enough. "But I have no idea what they're going to do when they get there, or even where precisely 'there' is gonna have to be."

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:44 pm

Once, just once, Daniel would like to run into a situation with an obvious answer. But as usual, this situation is anything but simple.

His first instinct is saying no to the idea entirely. A big part of this trip, for Daniel anyway, is keeping Trevor safe. Bringing him into the middle of a warzone is definitely NOT the safest way to do that.

However, there is the recently revealed problem of Baron's new airforce. This means they may not have that much time. If they try to go the long, safe route, there's no telling what chaos this new air power may cause in the meantime. They have to find out what's going on, and fast.

"I don't like the idea of getting in the middle of this... but I don't think we have time on our side at the moment. We need to find out what's going on as soon as possible." Daniel says to the others, "As far as speaking to them... I think I'd be a potential liability."

He looks down and grabs at his Ishtarian pendant, before continuing.

"My mother's side of the family is one of the older family houses in Baron. People in our family have been healers and warriors in Ishtar's name for generations. If any of them know who I am, or who my family is, I think I"m going to have a hard time convincing them I'm neutral."

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:32 pm

Myrnal frowned, her expression grim but her thoughts somewhat... lightened. If Dan were to stay behind, that meant that she could stay back with him and keep him out of this mess. Or at least try to make sure it didn't hit him as hard as it was about to hit all those poor idiots down there.

She grunted her agreement, scowling down at the scene before them. Stephen and Dan's family was well-known? Funny how things like that happened. Myrnal wondered if her own family included anybody who was anybody, and whether it would help. The only member of her mother's family she'd ever known had been Anira herself, and Myrnal somehow doubted that her connections to goblin organized crime would be useful credit in a diplomatic exchange. At least Dan's family had done good things.

"Well, you'd still be a hell of a lot more useful for your family connections than I would. You met her," Myrnal commented, alluding for the first time to what Daniel had seen of her past, to the figment of her own mother that he had met and fought in dreams. "And I doubt it'd do any good for me to mention my roots there either."

She reached up and scratched her head. "But frankly... I do think Stephen would kill me if I let you wander in to stop a battle all by yourself." She glanced to Leothe. "Neb? You seem like you've got better, more neutral, connections here. Though Leothe, you might as well. I don't... actually know shit about you. So..." She shrugged. "Your call."

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Discussed with Shini. Not an ejection.

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:18 am

A moment or two passed silently, and then Anita sighed in irritation. She stood up, and stepped off the cart. It looked very much like she was going to walk down and get in between the two armies, when she suddenly turned and faced those still in the carts and wagons in this small caravan.

"I have to go for a while. Don't do anything foolish while I'm away."

She looked particularly at Myrnal as she said this, and then looked up. Her body began to glow white... And then she disappeared. Well, how odd.

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

abridged exposition, ho! =O

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:29 pm

Daniel blinks a few times, looking amongst the group. From their reactions, he's not the only one confused at this turn of events.

"Well... uh... huh."

He takes a minute to think about this... but quickly realizes it doesn't realy change the immediate situation. Annetta being here or not, they still need to figure out what to do about the standoff nearby. And if they stand here too long, someone else is going to find them first. Not a very appealing alternative.

"...look, If you're all more comfortable with me, I'll try. Heck, worst case, maybe I can ask one of my cousins how the family's doing?"

While he's smiling casually about it to the others, truthfully he's actually worried about meeting some members of his family. While he does keep in touch with some, he wonders if that connection could be a liability. This all stems from a descision his mother made years ago, one that still affect his relationship with the family today...

In the nation's past, the royal family bestowed the title of 'house' to the 'Ricone' clan, Daniel's ancestors. His mother often told him stories about those ancestors, how in Ishtar's name the fought and healed the injured for generations. His mother, as the eldest child, was supposed to become the next head of the family. However, she wanted a different life for herself. She chose to live and work in the rural parts of Baron, something that came as quite a shock to the rest of her family. When she married her husband and took his last name, Hyral, many saw it as a slap in the face to the Ricones. Several people in the family never forgave her for that. His aunt, the current head of the family, would never let her forget it either, when they would make attempts to visit.

Daniel often finds difficult to deal with this, especially when they praise his own accomplishments. While they are genuinely proud of what he's done, comments such as "its remarkable, considering his father" or "it's quite the feat, when you think about how the brother turned out" are never far behind. He often wonders how he can accept some members of his family in Baron, when they won't accept parts of his own. Still, they are family, and he has to wonder how they're all doing during this crisis. How will the new government look upon them all, in light of that old connection to the monarchy? Have his aunt and uncle taken steps to make sure they'll all be ok?

Though he hates to think about it, there is something else he has to consider. Who's side will the family be on? If the kingdom itself is split over this, he can imagine some of the family may be as well. A few definitely had misgivings about Trevor, from what he remembers in past visits. Can he count on anyone to help them? And if he can't... can he really bring himself to stand against them?

He thinks about this, as he waits for the others to respond.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:11 pm

"I can try," Leothe said, "I was around for the last war, albeit I only heard about it from a distance. Still, that may amount for something. If nothing else, I have a very good idea of the consequences if things get out of hand." He did have a few friends in Baron, but they were probably getting a bit old to be hauled into politics like this.

All things considered, he didn't think much of his chances of talking people down even on this relatively small scale, but the attempt had to be made.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:16 pm

Leothe, having volunteered to try his hand at diplomacy with the two groups, headed off alone. It took him ten minutes to reach them, and for a bit over an hour, he appeared to simply stand, as far as the others could tell. Finally, he started back. The small group that had been meeting in the center of the field broke up as well. In the time it took Leothe to return to the caravan, neither force seemed to be moving, though there seemed to be some activity amongst both.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:34 pm

"Well, we have a truce," Leothe said without preamble, "The dragoons had been sent to exact a pledge of loyalty to the new government or, failing that, to take Fort Lancet by force. The mage-knights, however, would pledge loyalty only to the king. They have have, however, agreed to pledge not to raise arms against the government."

"So, at the very least, any fight has been postponed until a messenger returns with the council's response to their offer. With luck, there won't be one at all."

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:30 pm

Trevor let out a sigh, his previously rigid form going a bit looser. His sense of relief was palpable.

"Thank you, Leothe. I pray your efforts see this situation resolved permanently."

Crisis averted, at least for now, the group trekked on. There were not halted or hampered by the two armies in the valley, and a few of the men even waved. Only a few, but it was something.

Several days passed after they left the valley near Fort Lancet. They were very close to the Farnsworth Society now, and well away from any major military centers that might have halted their progress. The mission is finally looking like it might have a remote possibility of succeeding! Trevor was in high spirits, and was smiling again for the first time since prior to the orc attack. The mercenaries didn't share his cheer, but they weren't grumbling either. Well, Anthony was, but it was mostly something or other about his 'sciatica'. They only need to travel north for a few days-

And then they heard that sound again. That terrible beating of the air, like the wind was being rapidly and harshly struck with something large and dull. An airship was over-head, and descending. From it's belly, a rope ladder was descending. Someone was dangling from that ladder, looking right at them. He was somewhat familiar...

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:00 am

It had been too long...

Looking down at the scene below, Charles Robert Franklyn Galzern Domanada, king of Doma, was torn over descending that ladder and rejoining the group he had started over with. He had been battling feelings of guilt and shame ever since...

That.

It hurt him just to think of it. Next time, he thought to himself, I keep the zealousness and the stupidity far apart from each other. But that was past now. It had been done, it had been atoned for as best as possible, and if it was at all attainable, it would be forgotten about.

That was the most difficult part, however. He could not forget. The thought of it gnawed at him, had gnawed at him, ever since its conclusion. How could he forget? How could he?

A touch of neurosis caused him to pull at his outfit, tucking in a loose band on his turban, smoothing his facemask, adjusting his cloak, pulling on the sleeves of his short shirt, and straightening his breastplate. As he adjusted his fingerless armored gloves, he caught the sight of the embossed shield of Doma. He heard a glimmer of his father's voice, dispensing advice on ruling. Something on...

Right. "The kingdom does not need a man. It needs a king. Be less and you do it a disservice."

Charles almost laughed. The miserly old man had his moments, and when he had them, they were never forgotten. He could not let the past affect him. He had to be the king both Baron and Doma needed if either were to survive.

Huh. Crisis averted, thought Charles. I should have done that ages ago.

Hopping out the gap in the belly of the flying machine, he quickly took hold of a braided rung and began his descent. He could see them all... Trevor, Myrnal, Daniel, all of them... he knew their scars might still be there, but he would mend them if possible, and work around them as necessary. The mission meant the survival of the entire continent.

Upon meeting a gaze or two, he nodded knowingly and continued his descent before finally dropping the last few feet to the ground, dusting off himself, and then his hands. It was time to work.

"Good to see you all again," the king said. "What'd I miss?"

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:45 pm

To say the past few days were stressful is somewhat of an understatement. Still, Daniel finds himself in good spirits. A major obstacle was averted without violence. Trevor appears to be feeling much better. And somehow, he and Myrnal are managing to get along in each other's presence. For once, things appear to be looking good.

And of course, fate would decide to meddle with this state of affairs once again.

When he first notices the airship, Daniel's first reaction is panic. The airforce had found them out. It is only a matter of time before they descend down to get Trevor. Then the holy man is confused, when he sees the lone figure lowering down from a ladder. Finally, he finds himself in complete disbelief when he recognizes the man speaking.

"....Charles?!" Daniel exclaims.

He moves his mouth to speak more, but can't seem to speak properly. He can't even begin to figure out how the king got here, or why he just descended from an airship. Trying to do so is making it hard for him to talk at all.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:09 pm

Leothe's reaction was likewise somewhat shocked. Nor was that shock completely allayed by the appearance of Charles.

"While it is good to see you, Charles," he said after a few moments, "that is decidedly not low-profile." A wave of the hand took in the massive, looming airship overhead.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:11 am

After some shouted conversation, each side barely able to understand the other, Charles touched earth and caught up with the others. It seems that when the others were captured, he was stuck on the head, and woke the next day with Kobakk, who had apparently grabbed him and then fled, until he was exhausted and collapsed some great distance away. His eyes had been irritated to near blindness by the gas, but thankfully it had been temporary. They had reached Doma again on foot, their progress aided by some friendly Garoujin tribes amongst the Shuman mountains, and later through the use of teleportation magic, after granting some Gunnir mages a fair sum for their trouble. Having arrived, he had ordered the organization of a military force to advance on Baron, planning to oust the current ruling class by force in retaliation of their blatant attack on his person.

Charles was somewhat put out and perhaps even a bit embarrassed to learn from his comrades that it had been nothing of the kind. They recounted the tale of their encounter with the savage orc tribe, the strange cave full of natural and magical wonders, and many many skeletons, and finally of the Naga and desert brigande-merchant hideouts. Charles put a stop to the military advance remotely, making use of some telepaths he'd brought along for similar purposes, having been reasonably convinced that attempting to Annex Baron wouldn't be a wise move at just this moment.

They met with Neb's friend, Samantha Stewart, at the Farnesworth institute, who was able to tell them baldy what the real state of the country was. The nobles controlling Baron's various military forces stood divided, all poised against one another in a myriad of fledgling factions. Small skirmishes were taking place all over the country, and all out war was inevitable. It would take a miracle to bring the nation back from it's descent into chaos.

They let Samantha in on their mission, and she in turn offered what little she could: She showed them an old passage into the Capitol, hidden in the facility's basement. It was intended to be an escape route in case the Capitol were ever sacked, but it was built many years ago; Not only the castle itself, but the entire capitol have been half ripped up and rebuilt since then, and it was unlikely that the existence of this tunnel was common knowledge any longer. At Neb's request, Charles allowed Samantha to board his ship, which would carry her safely to Doma. Anthony left by the same means, claiming that his contract was up, though Paul stayed on out of a sense of obligation.

Making use of the tunnel Sam showed them, they found themselves in some dank, dark place under the Capitol. It looked like a dungeon, but if it was so then it hadn't seen use in quite some time. It took the better part of an hour to discover a way out, but they managed it, and found themselves in a now deserted set of Barracks and a bare military office. No torches lit these rooms, and a fine coating of dust was everywhere. Trevor was able to identify this place as an abandoned guard office and prison in the slums. Luck was still with them, for the time being, since coming straight up in the castle would have made things very, very awkward.

Seeing as Charles' missive to the High Council had now had plenty of time to arrive, he and Leothe were able to get the rest of grudgingly agree that they should be fine to walk the streets, approaching the castle openly and directly. They did so, and found that they were more or less expected. They were quickly ushered high into the castle, where they met with the men and women responsible for beginning this whole ugly mess. Charles, with the occasional whisper to or from his companions, attempted to negotiate with the men and women of the Council. Myrnal was quick to point out, quietly, that the room was oddly absent of guards and they they had not been searched, things that made her very uneasy. Neb also noted that all by the council chairman has a glassy look about them, and seemed to need a little too much time to think about most of their statements and answers.

Abruptly, the chairman took out his pocket watch, glanced at the time, and then without preamble bid everyone a good day. Daniel, more than a bit confused, demanded and explanation as the chairman turned his back on them. He stepped into an alcove at the back of the room, and turned to them so that he was framed by a window there. He smiled and replied:

"I only needed to keep you busy long enough for the strike team to arrive. My apologies, but my plans call for the King of Doma to die in Baron today. The rest of you... well, my apologies."

As he finished speaking, three things occurred simultaneously: The Chairman disappeared, the other councilors went limp, their heads crashing onto the conference table, and five heavily armored and well armed guards appeared in the doorway. In the ensuing battle, Trevor was injured quite badly. Charles opted to remain with him, ordering the others to go after the chairman, and to bring him back. They would need him alive to make and sense of this. Nigel and Pail remained with them, to make sure no further harm came to either.

The teleportation device was still active, and took Dan, Myrnal, Neb and Leothe to a strange place: Though they were outside, the air smelled stale. No breeze stirred the air here, no birds called. For that matter, no animals scurried about, and there was not even the chirping of insects to pierce the quiet. Before them lay a cityscape, burnt out and slowly crumbling as they aged. Dan was able to recognize it easily enough; Isalia, the ruin of what was once Baron's greatest city. Leothe quickly picked up on the Chairman's trail, his keen elven ears able to pick up the man's movement in the otherwise utter stillness as plain to him as if he were instead a small parade.

Their chase was not easy; the restless undead and lesser demons stalked this place, and they had to fight off many of them, while it seemed that somehow the Chairman was able to deftly evade them all... Dan, Myrnal and Leothe's combat prowess, supplemented by Neb's magical support made quick work of most of them, and they eventually caught the Chairman up. He'd holed himself up in the shell of a building, nearly at the center of the town. It looked to have once been a library, but no souls had sought knowledge in this place in a very long time from the look of it. The air was chill, and full of unspoken menace. They entered, even as the cold threatened to freeze them to the spot.

Inside, they found the chairman, creating a magic circle of some kind. In the center sat an odd object. It might have been art; It was a thing of black glass and gold wire, what looked like an hour glass suspended horizontally abode the ground, sitting on a base made from what appeared to be a square plate of Ivory, but was far too large to have come from any creature any of them had ever seen.

The chairman turned and, discovering he was not along, shrieked in surprise. He uttered a word, and the air began to shimmer. He disappeared, though the object remained. It glowed an unwholesome shade of green, and a the whole city seemed to come alive with growling and moaning. They were barely able to bar the doors before a veritable sea of undead and small demons beset the library.

Daniel had every intention to die fighting while the others sought a route of escape... while Myrnal, thinking quickly and hoping for the best struck the strange object with one of her knives, shattering the 'hourglass' at it's center. The resulting magical backlash knocked her across the room, where she fell unconscious. The cacophony of wails and bleats and groans outside quickly died off, and the place was still again. The demons had vanished, and the undead had become normal corpses once more. The feelings of unnatural cold and fear left them. Myrnal in tow, they made their way out of the blasted city, now devoid of any life or unlife, sinister or otherwise, unsure of their futures, or that of the nation.

They were met along the road heading north by a farmer, who was taking a cart of hay in the same direction. The farmer agreed to take them along, letting them off a few days later in a small, rural village. Myrnal woke en route, and while tired, hungry, and oddly cold, she was not much the worse for wear. She made a strange, half mumbled comment about hell being full of straw, but shook her head when asked about it. They reached the Capitol once again in less than a week. On arriving, they were pleasantly surprised to find that the place was, at least so far, not yet a war zone.

They learned that Trevor was still alive, but his wound was not responding to magical treatment; The weapon he was struck with was cursed, and not magical healing would take. The ex-monarch's continued survival could not be ensured. With what strength he had left, however, he had managed to take back his crown, and was working the remainder of Baron's political machine to try to prevent war. Without a council left to rule, and the discovery that the current members had been mind-wiped thralls for some unknown amount of time, it wasn't as difficult to recover his power. However, his condition was still a stumbling block. He had no heir, and badly needed someone to replace him in the event that his condition worsened suddenly. With everything going on, he understandably had little time to see anyone.

Charles had waited for them, claiming he knew they'd be back, and was using what little influence he had here to bolster Trevor. After all the political morass between Doma and Baron in recent years it wasn't very much, but it was better than nothing. Charles was disappointed that they hadn't been able to apprehend the traitorous chairman, but the discovery of the artifact in Isalia would work well in his place. The knowledge of it's destruction would go a long way towards stabilizing the nation.

Charles had sent word to Doma that they'd need a ride back, but it would be another few days before it arrived. In that time, they were able to rest and seek medical treatment, though Dan could hardly bring himself to sit still, let alone rest, knowing about the King's condition, worrying that the work he was doing would make things worse.

When they returned to Doma, Baron's future remained uncertain, but it was at least brighter than it had been before they came.

Previous

Return to Gaera Main RPs