The Return of the Neo Vanists

For artistic creations in text format.

Moderators: KingOfDoma, NebulaQueen

Banjooie

The Return of the Neo Vanists

Unread postby Banjooie » Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:41 am

And so it was, that day in 1311 Gaera, that the eight Neo Vane Mages made their trek back from Igala to their home in Lunar.

The trip itself was without a single hitch; Lucky, perhaps? Or was it pure desperation that allowed them to make the journey to Neo Vane? They'd worked for a purpose..
and had successfully achieved it. After all, that's what was important, wasn't it?

"....Alright, Fenron. That was quite thoroughly the second most horrible experience ever." Jinto, who'd landed about 4 feet away from Bessie, groused. Meanwhile, a crowd was slowly gathering around the eight mages (and cow.)

As the fire mage rubbed his eyes, he turned to the upturned earth mage. "And what was the first?" he queried, as the other mages gradually got up.

Nagan, of course, knew the answer already. "Well, Fenron, I'm going to take a wild guess and suppose that it might be the first time we did that. Now, let's make sure we're actually in Neo Vane, shall we?"

They looked around. The neatly trimmed stone tiles and fountain that made up the town center of Neo Vane were still there, as was the rural seeming village which sprawled over it's centre. And the golden-red Magic Guild still stood, a beacon on the floating island. Diran scratched the back of his neck. "Well, unless we've ended up in some space-time rip, I do believe we're home."

Hzar laughed a bit. "So. We. Did. It! We're. Back!" He turned to pick Meldon up, who was a bit squished under our favorite magic cow. The blue-robed mage of the sea chuckled alongside him, as a blindfold fell out of his pocket. "I guess we won't be needing THESE anym...ore..." He turned his head away and sighed.

Pelos, in a bit of a jollier mood, punched Meldon lightly in the shoulder. "True... it's quite a pity, but...you gotta be strong. Come on. Let's get ourselves some food, some drink, and some merriment. Then we'll get to the worrying and fretting, shall we?"

Now, there were still the nastier details, such as the murder of Lavoran Silverfire, that needed to be dealt with. However, since Diran had successfully assisted in the recovery of the Neo Vane team, his sentence was suspended while the festivities commenced in the Magic Guild's banquet halls. Since the cooks hadn't had a reason to create a feast in quite some time, they were given free license for whatever ingredients they wished. Which, of course, meant that the tables were well endowed with Neo Vane Pie, which the guests of honor consumed in large quantities. There were brash tales of their exciting adventures in the land of Gaera, several ballads made in their honor, and of course, their copy of Will's book of runes (Which Jinto was particularly proud of duplicating) made a rather interesting splash. And so the partying continued well into the early hours.

As the sun rose, the eight Neo Vane mages, well used to sleep deprivation, rose with it, in their elements' seperate dorms. Breakfast had been an adventure for each of them, as their fellow students begged to hear more about their adventures in the other land, Diran being nearly trampled, and Jinto depending mainly on Bessie to keep him from ending up a rather small pancake on the floor.

But... all good things must come to an end, and so the Auditing Report began at noon.

As they had made several allusions to, the Grand Council, and of Neo Vane was not easy to explain things to. They had been at their positions for quite some time, and believed that the secret to keeping their positions was either to know all the latest spells, or to make sure nobody else did. And as the eight were hurried into the room, the Speaker's magically enhanced voice boomed.

"Diran Ilsvire, Fenron Malgmar, Meldon Palith, Hzar Danill, Pelos Nothalin, Yinnea Daysom, Nagan Wilthere, and Jinto Ernpol, the Grand Council of Neo Vane recognizes you. Please take your positions with your council member according to your element, and report your findings."

Diran scratched the back of his neck. "Er...guys?"

Jinto blinked. "What?"

Diran chuckled. "Y'know, they always used to break US with this back in Gaera.. and quite frankly, there's no point staying here anyway...."

Fenron grinned. "So why don't we try to explain it to THEM?"

The Speaker boomed again. "The Grand Council would appreciate timeliness from the visitors."

Diran smiled, and took a quick nod to each of his friends in turn. "As Captain Pervy would probably say. 'Damn the bureaucracy! Full speed ahead!'"

They formed a rather tidy looking group, and instead of marching to their councillors as ordered, made their way to the Speaker.

Hzar was the first. "If. I. May. Sir..."

Yet another boom. "Hzar Danill, if you would please allow your friends to speak for you, as our time is limited, and your manner of speech is rather non-conducive to our purposes."

The dark mage only chuckled to himself, and moved.

Fenron took the stand. "Well, the problem is, see, we happen to have found some spells that...are of two elements at the same time."

Nobody would ever believe it for the next 200 years. The Grand Council was considered to be the wisest group of people in all of Neo Vane. There was no satisfaction greater to the Neo Vane returnees than to watch their ever-so-mighty Grand Council be forced to hear a long, detailed explanation of how a spell required two elements at once. Never mind what happened once they had the Rune book retrieved, and started referring to IT as an element all of it's own. As soon as Twilight magic was brought into the fray, the Speaker had difficulty talking. The other councillors had long ago fainted.

And the voice boomed, although, slightly squeaky. "...Dark...and....Light? At...the..same...time?"

And the eight laughed to themselves.

Then again, given that there was no way in Althena's Green Lunar (The Speaker's very words) that any other Neo Vane student could possibly understand the level of magic which the dimonauts (As they had coined the term for dimensional travelllers) had brought back, two things were to happen to them. They were to be given the highest scholastic honors a Neo Vane Student could aspire to, which would be Third Class. They were also, which seemed somewhat unfortunate, going to be removed from Neo Vane, since, as the Speaker quoted, "You bloody well know everything, and you're making us look bad. You can use the library, just don't go about talking about all this. It can't be good for the space/time continuum."

So, with the amount of money given to them to go as far away from Neo Vane as they could, they bought themselves a rather large airship. And, as they took off from Neo Vane, Fenron had a rather odd idea.
"Er...Diran?"

Diran blinked, having not expected said question. "Er....yes, Fenron?"

The Ex-Third Class Fire Mage of Neo Vane looked out the window in the improved Neo Vanic robes which all third class Vanists recieved, and took a momentary glance towards Diran. Behind the Thunder mage, Jinto was feeding Bessie. "Where exactly did you crash down into the ocean, anyway?"

"Well...uh...I can't quite remember, but it couldn't have been too far. Why?"

He pulled the Thunder mage over, and they both looked down.

"Now, I'm looking at that blue swirly thing in the ocean. The one that's a different blue and different swirl from the water. Now, I'm no Water Mage, but I have one question for you: How long do you think we should wait before landing this sucker in there and seeing what happens?"

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=banjooie>Banjooie</A]&nbsp; Image at: 1/18/03 6:14:10 pm

Uncle Pervy

Re: The Return of the Neo Vanists

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:52 am

Heh heh heh.

Quite amusing. And very Neo Vanic. Well done, Banj. ^_^ <p><div style="text-align:center">Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage</div></p>

pd Rydia

der yay!

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:21 am

You know what I like about the Neo Vane Mages?

Their sense of comraderie. o.o

And it comes out very strong in this piece, too. Well done. ^_^ I am both amused and pleased with this piece. Good to see them all stick together, it is. <p>
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">-=- "Got Dragonale?" -- Richard Storm (Nakibe)
-=- "Bah, my past was full of drinking and polymorph spells." -- Hakaril (Archmage144)
-=- "I REJECT YOUR PRESENCE!" -- CaptainPervy (UnclePervy)
-=- "What. In. The. @#%. Are. You. Two. Doing?" -- Hzar (Banjooie)</span></p>

Uncle Pervy

Re: der yay!

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:28 pm

Der False Neko has a good point. It's is pretty groovy to see 'em stick it out.

And the council-breaking scene is just classic.

Image I wonder what would happen if I gave them a lecture on Dream Magic? Or sang for them? <p><div style="text-align:center">Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage</div></p>

Animala
HATED BY SKELETONS

Unread postby Animala » Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:58 pm

Indeed. A fitting conclusion(? somehow I doubt it...) to the Neo Vane saga.

And a lot of fun to read.

"He turned to pick Meldon up, who was a bit squished under our favorite magic cow."

I love that line...

-White Knight <p>

Behold! Sig figs!</p>

WillBaseton
Self-Proclaimed Gaming Guru

Unread postby WillBaseton » Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:44 pm

Not bad. Kinda cute, in fact, what with the booming, yet squeaky voice. Could it be Nash...? But I think Shina has something to say.

Shina: Bastards, runnin' off...

Heh...not bad. Now you need to make new characters, though. <p>......</p>

SALSAlys

Unread postby SALSAlys » Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:02 am

Only quibble is I wish it could be longer. ^_^

Goooo JOOIE!

Vampire Jester Jinx

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Sat Jan 18, 2003 4:02 pm

i was quite amused jooie. i love how each neo vanist has his own set identity....their all very quirky but quite cool. definitely liked this fic. *thumbs up*:wai:

Image <p>
<div style="text-align:center">
I died for beauty, but was scarce
Adjusted in the tomb,
When one who died for truth was lain
In an adjoining room.

He questioned softly why I failed?
"For beauty," I replied.
"And I for truth, - the two are one;
We brethren are," he said.

And so, as kinsmen met a night,
We talked between the rooms,
Until the moss had reached our lips
And covered up our names.

</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=pdrydia>pd]&nbsp; Image at: 6/11/05 16:51

Return to Fanfiction and Other Writings