Mercenary Bottles [fic]

For artistic creations in text format.

Moderators: KingOfDoma, NebulaQueen

Nekogami

Mercenary Bottles [fic]

Unread postby Nekogami » Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:58 am

(o.o Bored I was. Fic I write.)

"Did you get the job done?" ask the shadowed figure to the shorter cloaked one.

"Don't I always," answered a more feminine voice, wiping her lips on the back of her hand.

"Good, then let's get out of this rat's ass of a town. Char is probably bored out of his mind by now."

The cloaked woman chuckled icily. "What little mind he has."

"You're such a b!tch."

"And that's a bad thing?"

~~ ~~

Fwip. Thunk! thunk-smap. Fwip. Thunk! thunk-smap.Fwip. Thunk! thunk-smap.

A young man, possibly in his twenties, tossed a ball against the far wall, bounced it off the floor, and back to his hand for a repeat of process. Long cotton-candy pink hair and strange pink wings, like some kind of insect, this young man was not human.

The door open with the dingle of a bell. "Welcome to Mercenary Bottles where we solve all your problems with violence or a little forceful persuasion," he droned mechanincally. "I am Chardonnay Bottle, how can I help you." Chardonnay opened a closed vibrant pink eye to look open his patron.

An almost identical man with flax colored hair, eyes, and two sets of clear dragonfly wings looked down at him with amusement. "Miss us much?"

Chardonnay pretended to be angry. "You're damn right. I've been bored out of my mind. Two weeks and only three customers. You'd think people'd have the common courtesy to be more hateful to their fellow man."

A woman with deep red hair, eyes, and near black butterfly wings sat on the desk. "Yep, damn these humans for getting along with each other. How dare they have the gall to be rational with each other." Her voice was dripping with sarcasm.

"Champagne? There is a reason we keep her around isn't there?" Chardonnay was glaring at his sister, who smiled lazily back.

"Yes, because she's our baby sister and we can't kill her because we need a mage."

The woman shot a glare at Champagne that could freeze running water. "Who's a baby, brother? I believe that's the magic words for 'Set Champ Up the Flame'."

Champagne's eyes widened. He had forgotten how sensitive his mastermage sister was to being referred to as 'baby'. She was admittedly at least 5 years younger than he and Chardonnay, who were twins but still....She had a tendency to set the speaker of the offensive word on fire.

"Merlot, you know I didn't mean anything by it. I respect your skills as a woman, succubus, and mage."

"But her temper tantrums," Chardonnay began, "I find to be very infantile." No sooner had he finished his sentence than did he find himself dumping water from a vase of flowers on his sleeves. "MERLOT!"

These were the Bottles. Champagne, Chardonnay, and Merlot.

The doorbell dingled again as a middle-aged man walked in. "Hello?"

"Welcome to Mercenary Bottles, where we love your hate," Merlot greeted.

The man wrung a hat in his hands and looked around the clean and nicely decorated office. Who would have guessed that it was the business of three demons.

"I need a lot of help...My village is being tortured. Our mayor was always a distant cold man but he wasn't unkind. Suddenly, he's become a slave driver."

Champagne sat on the other side of the desk from Merlot. He sinced it was their first large job in a long time."Really? What town is this?"

"Hamden."

"The farm town. You harvest those berries right? Blueberries," Char piped in. Hamden was one the greatest sources of blueberries in the Beau area. Usually, the soil in the island continent was well suited for things not native but Hamden could grow just about anything. It's fruit, however, was the most popular.

"That's right.....It's been going on for a year now, this terrible torment but we want it to stop. People are dying off from the strain. We tried to kill him but..."

"Wee...you got demon. I bet your Mayor's been dead for a while." Merlot shook her head with a smile. "When was the last time we had a demon target?"

Champagne yawned. "Been a while. It'll be a good work out."

Char stetched and stood up. "Hey, we'll take your job. Depending on how hard the job is..."

"Or how much we can horde from the offensive mayor's coffers..." Champ interjected.

"That," Merlot began to finish, " will determine your fee."

The man looked at each Bottle as they spoke. He seemed to think then nodded. "That sounds fair. A ship is leaving for Hamden at the end of the day. Port 5 on the east side of town." He placed his hat on his head and shuffled to the door. "Ask for Regis when you arrive. That's me."

"See ya, Regis," Char said with a wave. "Hmph, I'm here for two weeks and we get nothing. You guys come back and we have to save a village from demonic influence."

Merlot hopped off the desk and headed for the back part of the building, where they lived. "What can I say, Char, we're a magnet for danger."

---------

o.o.........I have Character Attachment bad. ;;;>.> <p>
<center><table border = 1><tr><td><center>Image
"You're cruel." "I am?"
"Yes. You are." "I aaam?"
"Yes. You are." "....Well, what can you do? *sigh*" --Nadeisco</center>

<center> 2 Sugoi!~~Mmm, Mechage RPGWW style!~~Live Journal</center></td></tr></table></center></p>

tiny harddrive

Re: Mercenary Bottles [fic]

Unread postby tiny harddrive » Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:39 pm

Just a question, is this set in Gaera or somewhere completely different?

Other than that, I think it's well written and interesting, I'd like to read more. More! MORE!!!!! <p>And the children of Corsica did scorn Julian, and wish pestilence upon his head.</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:09 pm

Yeah, it's in Gaera -- it's set in Beau, an island country of Argovia, to be exact.

^_^ Nice, Neko. I like the flow, the characters, and how you've set up the story. It's very catching.

There are some grammatical errors, mostly with subject-verb number agreement, and one sentence fragment towards the beginning. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

And as T_H said...more! ^_^ <p><hr width="47%"><small>Quotes of the moment (RP quotes):
-=- "I FOUND A CORNER! I found a corner, I found a corner! See, right here! Stuck on the wall! It's a corner! Woo hoo! Now, to stare at it!" -- Daenj'r Tymisonn KingOfDoma)
-=- "Alright then. Now we're one big happy band of happy adventurers, maybe we should get back to the killing, hmm?" -- Jak Snide (Jak Snide)
-=- "Look hun, it's...uh...raining... ...frogs...O_o;;;" -- Aya, Queen of Doma (LDC)
-=- "MEAN HORSIES DON'T GET BISCUITS!!!" -- Solis Darylshield (Nakibe)</p>

tiny harddrive

Unread postby tiny harddrive » Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:25 pm

Oh yeah, using sound effects probably isn't a good idea. <p>And the children of Corsica did scorn Julian, and wish pestilence upon his head.</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:04 pm

Actually, I've found the usage of sound effects, when used appropriately, to be a legitimate and interesting literary technique. You find it more often in contemporary novels than not. <p><hr width="47%"><small>Quotes of the moment (RP quotes):
-=- "I FOUND A CORNER! I found a corner, I found a corner! See, right here! Stuck on the wall! It's a corner! Woo hoo! Now, to stare at it!" -- Daenj'r Tymisonn KingOfDoma)
-=- "Alright then. Now we're one big happy band of happy adventurers, maybe we should get back to the killing, hmm?" -- Jak Snide (Jak Snide)
-=- "Look hun, it's...uh...raining... ...frogs...O_o;;;" -- Aya, Queen of Doma (LDC)
-=- "MEAN HORSIES DON'T GET BISCUITS!!!" -- Solis Darylshield (Nakibe)</p>

Jak Snide

'Deed.

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:16 am

Nothing wrong with sound effects.

And I enjoyed reading the fic. Was just too tired to post earlier.

Two "up till 8:30 nights" in a row murders your head. 6_9

LadyDragonClawsEDW

Re: 'Deed.

Unread postby LadyDragonClawsEDW » Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:55 am

Ebil little sister...very nicely done.

<.< .. >.> *hoards her soul* Mine. <p> <center><table border cellpadding=2><tr><td><table><tr><td>Image</td><td><center>For NO reason whatsoever, I feel like
wandering around the castle unarmed and alone!</center></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></center></p>

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Sat Jul 13, 2002 11:08 pm

I made up Chardonnay, Champagne, and Merlot Bottle so I could RP in Argovia with more characters.
This second installment of the fic, I was was iffy in posting. It sounds a little to serious. Like their is a great style deviation from the first post but I'll let you guys decide.

Chardonnay began straping on his various belts that held his various types of ammo. Water shells, poison shells, dark shells, shotgun shells of all kinds purchased from bastet weapon merchants. He then looked at his rack of guns. Of course, he always ended up choosing his favorite gun, Baby.

He picked up the large shotgun and kissed it. "Come on, Baby. You and Poppa are going to kill stuff." He then swung the gun over his back and slipped the slim single barrel into the holded on his back like one might wear a sword.

Chardonnay tossed his hair and looked out of his bedroom window. The Bottles home and business was perched on a cliff and below them was another city in Beau. The tine white houses looked like shells admist the tropcal trees. The city melted into the pristine blue waters of the Honda Strait.

The upperworld was different fromt he underworld. But to Char, they were both beautiful. The UnderRealm had a chaotic beauty to it, a fierce passion and horrible enchantment that most mortals could not stand. The UpperRealm was much more peaceful, more controlled, but secretive in its dangers. This was the most appealing part to the incubus who loved living on the edge.

Champagne knocked on the door frame to get Char's attention. "Brother, are you ready?"

Chardonnay stretched and turned his gaze from the awesome view. "Do you ever wish we had stayed home?"

Champagne seeme at first shocked at the question. He used to feel homesick. He used be so sick of humans, killing them stirred his conscious not at all. It took time before he could respect their depth and complexities. Because of this, his own life had become complicated. Sometimes so complicated his head hurt.

"Sometimes, Char. Sometimes." Champagne flicked his wings. "But it's best not to think like that before a mission, especially, since our target looks to be a demon."

Char shrugged and kissed Champagne on the cheek as walked out his room. "You were always the smart one, brother."

Champ smiled and followed Char to the front of the building. Merlot was already outside in her blue, white, and black robes. Her black lips lifted in a wry smile.

"Are you two doing that sillly bonding thing? Well, you two go play catch, I'm going to get on with this mission." Merlot waved her hand idly and headed for the docks.

Char and Champ run to either side of her. "So, what do you think, Merl? Is this going to be a piece of human flesh pie or a heaping helping of mashed demon?" Char inquired.

Merl chuckled. "Both sound appetizing, but let's not jump to too many conclusions. I think we need a little more information but it sounds like demon to me."

The Bottles reached the dock where it seemed the hundreds of ships, ranging from tiny to titanic, seemed to find their moorings. Port have was a long walk between sailors, pirates, travelers and merchants but they had no problem finding Regis. He was perched atop a pyramid of crates screening the crowd below him for the Bottles.

They made his job much easier by simply spreading their wings and flying over to him. Those that were new to the town gasped in awe and fright at the sight of the three flyers but most just took it in stride and carried on about their business.

Regis gulped and stood up looking from face to face before nodding, as if to answer an unasked question. "I suppose you're ready then?"

"You sound confident," Merlot piped caustically. "Look, we're good at we do. Don't worry about the job getting done. Just worry about getting us paid."

"Where's your ship, Regis?" Champange asked.

Regis nodded and pointed to a small fishing ship with the name 'Marvelous Marvolo' painted in fading blue letters on the side. "That's my ship. Named after my daughter."

Champagne and Chardonnay grinned at each other in anticipation. If there was anything the incubi loved more than money and mercenary work, it was women and the 'quality' time they got to spend with them.

"Let's go, Regis." Champagne flicked his wings, his grin still cutting his face from ear to ear.

Chardonnay smacked the man on the shoulder. "Yeah, we've got 'work' to do!"
Merlot shook her head. "Oh boy..." <p>
<center><table border = 1><tr><td><center>Image
"You're cruel." "I am?"
"Yes. You are." "I aaam?"
"Yes. You are." "....Well, what can you do? *sigh*" --Nadeisco</center>

<center> 2 Sugoi!~~Mmm, Mechage RPGWW style!~~Live Journal</center></td></tr></table></center></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Jul 13, 2002 11:17 pm

You're right, that is a little on the serious side. o.o I think the characterization of Champagne and Chardonnay, the delving into their background bit did it. I'm not quite sure how to relieve the seriousness, though...maybe getting into their background later, or not going into such detail, or adding a whimsical note or two in there...hn... <p><hr width="47%"><small>Quotes of the moment:
-=- "Eat chicken, live forever...until you die, then you're screwed." -- Matt
-=- "*Dilute them bloodlines! Make Hitler roll in his grave!*" -- Uncle Pervy
-=- "Inorafeeb eedrayob fehc tae dna ekawa llahs slived." -- Bloodhound Gang
-=- "I exist to celebrate the onion." -- 'Pepito,' (mis)translation of Pablo Neruda's «Oda a la cebolla».</p>

viator22

Unread postby viator22 » Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:11 am

Iiiiiinteresting

Image <p>--------The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy says that drinking a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster "is like having your brain smashed out by a lemon wrapped around a large gold brick."</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=pdrydia>pd]&nbsp; Image at: 6/8/05 22:32

Return to Fanfiction and Other Writings