Kali's backstory (warning: is badly written)

For artistic creations in text format.

Moderators: KingOfDoma, NebulaQueen

SALSAlys

Kali's backstory (warning: is badly written)

Unread postby SALSAlys » Wed May 15, 2002 7:41 pm

"Kali! Move your lazy-"

"Coming mother! COMING!" A skinny, almost to the point of scrawny, young girl came clambering up the steps, ripping herself away from watching the fire down in the main room of the inn. Mrs. Thatcher let her stay down there, out of sympathy for the child whose mother-

"Kali, I'll be busy tonight. Sleep in the loft or in the common room if the old woman'll let you..."

"She will, mother..." Kali already knew that her mother would be busy 'entertaining' a male guest.

"Good. And don't stare in the fire all the time." Speculatively, the red-headed woman glanced over her daughter. The young girl didn't seem like much, but neither did she at that age.

Kali returned her mother's gaze, wide-eyed. Her mother had a peaches-and-cream complexion, with tawny red-gold hair, like leaves in autumn. She was only a handspan taller than her ten year old daughter, though.

"Good eyes," she announced. "Green eyes are rare around here." Her own eyes were china blue. "When you grow up, your da and I will get a fine bride-price."

"He's not my da."

"Yes he is," her mother replied sharply. "Don't forget it."

Kali stared into the fire. Her mother was dead...

I didn't like living with her in the inn much, but... I think it'd be better than living with stepda, she thought.

(OOC: More stuff later. This is just a rough draft of the first section... please, comments and criticism?)

(edit) Darn you all for not posting comments! *bursts into tears*

Edited by: pd Rydia  Image at: 6/8/05 21:01

Rainbow Fright

Re: Kali's backstory (warning: is badly written)

Unread postby Rainbow Fright » Thu May 16, 2002 1:23 pm

I like it so far,I do...::nodnodnod::

I'm thinking of doing something similar concerning Rain,but due to her miserable childhood,there's gonna be a lot of abuse involved..::wince:: <p>
<table><tr><td>Image</td><td>"Take me under
[I'm killing all the pain]
I'm dying tonight
[I'm sick of all that pain]
Watch me crumble
[I'm killing all the pain]
I'm crying tonight
I'm giving in to you..."
</td><td>Image</td></tr></table></p>Edited by: Rainbow Fright&nbsp; Image at: 5/16/02 5:24:20 pm

pd Rydia

Re: Kali's backstory (warning: is badly written)

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu May 16, 2002 3:44 pm

Nice...I'd like to read more. Oh, and Rain, if you have the guts to write it, I'll read it. <p>
<table><tr><td>Image</td><td><small>Quotes of the moment:
-=- "You coward! You'd leave a pregnant man to suffer!?" -- Nekogami
-=- "Eat chicken, live forever...until you die, then you're screwed." -- Matt C.
-=- "Inorafeeb eedrayob fehc tae dna ekawa llahs slived." -- Bloodhound Gang</td></tr></table></p>

Jak Snide

*nods respectfully*

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu May 16, 2002 5:23 pm

*nods* Good stuff there. A little short though. Keep it coming.

Oh, and Rain. Go write it! I'm sure 95% of the people here will have seen/read about more screwed up things than that.

<_<

Not that I speak from experience! ^_^;;

Oh, and that reminds me. I need to go read SS's background. Been putting that off for ages.

SALSAlys

Yay! People replied! *snuggles*

Unread postby SALSAlys » Thu May 16, 2002 6:27 pm

I'll be posting more stuff later. And yes, Kali's childhood is a bit screwed up, but she comes out of it all right. More than a bit screwed up, actually, but... *mutter* I'll be posting more on it later.

pd Rydia

Re: Yay! People replied! *snuggles*

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu May 16, 2002 6:33 pm

Pff. I'll be the first to say I've read some really facked up @#%$...and I mean REALLY. >_> <p>
-=- "Eat chicken, live forever...until you die, then you're screwed." -- Matt C.
-=- "Inorafeeb eedrayob fehc tae dna ekawa llahs slived." -- Bloodhound Gang</td></tr></table></p>

SALSAlys

Unread postby SALSAlys » Thu May 16, 2002 6:45 pm

In that case, nothing to worry about.

Just some old-fashioned pedophilia and incest.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu May 16, 2002 6:48 pm

Heh. I know people IRL to whom that's happened. I can handle it in fiction. -.- <p>

SALSAlys

Okay, next part.

Unread postby SALSAlys » Thu May 16, 2002 7:06 pm

I wonder if I'm crazy. Kali was seeing... shapes... in the fire. Small, humanoid ones. When she was smaller, she remembered trying to show them to others, but then the creatures always went away. The adults patted her on the head and said what imagination she had, while the few other children she tried to show teased her about it.

Without thinking about it, Kali held out her hand. "Come on," she whispered. "You know me now, don't you?" She hadn't tried to show them to others for years.

Cautiously, the smallest of the fiery things cocked its head at her, then hopped into the palm of her hand. Kali nearly dropped it in shock. Now, separate from the fire, more detail could be seen on the form. It was a perfect miniature of a sexless human, save for the lack of hair. The yellow, coal-bright eyes looked into hers as a vague hissing came from its mouth.

"May I... can I touch you?" Kali asked, feeling disrespectful. The creature nodded again, and her finger was poised to touch the soft-looking head, marvelling at the seeming delicacy of the thing. The vivid orange skin wasn't harsh, but more of a warm glow, giving it an almost luminous appearance, although it seemed full of vitality. Like an infant, not fully grown, but full of promise...

Suddenly, the fire in the chimney blazed into a pillar of light, and a burning hand came from it, snatching Kali's diminutive companion from her grasp. The girl let out a loud cry in her surprise, cradling a singed hand as her stepfather came into the room.

"Stupid slut, staying too close to the fire again... Yer mother and I tol' you and tol' you not to do that..." growled the man. Though overweight, his fat was a solid roll about his belly, and his muscles were strong. "I'll teach yer not to listen to us," her stepda added, grabbing her uninjured hand roughly and putting her over his lap as he spanked her.

Kali didn't yell or scream though. It only encouraged him.

Finally, on the last swat, his hand lingered. Kali hated that. It made her feel... dirty. But it was just a spanking, wasn't it? Not her fault if her mother happened to marry the village drunk...

Child of the inn's whore and a stranger, stepchild to a drunken sot, she thought bitterly as she regained her feet, readjusting her skirt before she left the small house quickly.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/usalsalys.showPublicProfile?language=EN>SALSAlys</A] at: 5/24/02 12:06:57 am

Jak Snide

To quote Dia:

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri May 17, 2002 2:26 pm

More.

pd Rydia

En español

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri May 17, 2002 2:27 pm

Más. <p>
-=- "Milk does a neko good!" -- Hayako (Nekogami)
-=- "Magic. As in, big flashy dink!" -- El Bob (Squintz)
-=- "Alas, pants. I knew them well." -- Kotoki</td></tr></table></p>

Kotoki

Nihongo ni

Unread postby Kotoki » Fri May 17, 2002 3:16 pm

Motto.

SALSAlys

Yay, next section... it's longer, too.

Unread postby SALSAlys » Fri May 17, 2002 7:36 pm

She went down the gently sloping path in darkness, her footsteps quick and sure. Kali had been down it so many times that she knew where each rock and pithole was, and could amend her course to avoid them.

What was that... thing... that hurt me? Why did it do that? Is it like a guardian, and the little one that came into my hand was a child? Did it want to protect the baby
from me?
Her musings and speculations lasted until she reached the inn, which was a cheerfully lighted beacon from the path. Light shone out from the open shutters, since it was a warm night. Small, sweetly-scented candles burned on wide sills to ward off insects. Kali opened the door, the only sound she made being the creak of old hinges.

Mrs. Thatcher was inside, a plump, chestnut-haired woman wearing a blue apron. She was occupied with cleaning the tables, but immediately went to Kali’s side. The last
patron in the inn was sitting in the far corner, the light from the fire and candles enough to illuminate his blue eyes.

"What did he do this time, sweetie?” she asked quietly. Then her warm brown eyes went to Kali’s left hand, and she winced. Gently, she picked up the burned hand, her pale skin looking strange and alien against Kali’s dark.

“He didn’t do it,” Kali answered to Mrs. Thatcher’s shocked look. “It was— I did it. By accident... I was sitting too close to the fire.” She changed her answer quickly. How
could she say that the fire came to life in order to snatch another fire from her?

“Be what it may, I have something to help it. Come with me.” The woman led Kali to the pantry, a small room behind the kitchen, but still large enough for a woman and a girl to stand in and have room for food and medicines. Mrs. Thatcher took down a small glass jar with a green, slightly transluscent salve in it. When she unscrewed the top, Kali could catch the faint scent of mint and rosemary. With gentle fingers, the innkeeper’s wife smeared it over the burns.

“Leave it open, to the air. That will keep it from mouldering, and the medicine will stop infection and speed the healing. Reapply it when you wake up, at midday, and
at night, before bedtime.” She tried to press the container into Kali’s right hand, but she shoved it back.

“It’d be safer here,” Kali said in a whisper. “I can come back in the morning and at night... and I’ll try to come back in the afternoon as well.”

“Good.” The woman kissed Kali’s forehead. “I love you, child.”

“I love you too. When my prince in golden armor comes for me, I’ll tell him to give some of his gold to you, nyeh?” the girl replied. Her green eyes glinted with a hint of
mischief as she reminded Mrs. Thatcher about the stories which she had been told when she was younger.

“Sweet girl,” she said affectionately. “You can make your own gold, though... you won’t need a prince for that. You are gold.”

“Probably not, or Mother or Stepda would have sold me long ago.” Kali’s expression shifted to something darker. “I better go now, though.”

Without waiting for an answer, she went back into the night.

(OOC: Something's wonky about the spacing... maybe it's because this time I cut'n pasted it from another computer application.)

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/usalsalys.showPublicProfile?language=EN>SALSAlys</A] at: 5/17/02 11:42:23 pm

Jak Snide

And I repeat myself.

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri May 17, 2002 8:50 pm

MORE!

pd Rydia

Re: And I repeat myself.

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri May 17, 2002 9:10 pm

Yeah, the line breaks are odd. C&P would have done that.

VG, however. As Jak said. More. <p>

SheenAlkaline

^^

Unread postby SheenAlkaline » Sat May 18, 2002 8:11 am

I concur with Jak, I like the story so far ^^

Star Lancer

this stuff makes me want to try books again.

Unread postby Star Lancer » Sat May 18, 2002 4:27 pm

Bah. This should read more like "Warning: incredibly addictive reading here!" Want more boom BOOM!

SALSAlys

Try Mercedes Lackey. My favorite author. ^_^

Unread postby SALSAlys » Sun May 19, 2002 12:05 am

I'm working on the next section, y'all.

But can't I have some criticism here, please? I want to know how to improve, darn it!

Jak Snide

Ehehe...

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun May 19, 2002 6:26 am

Um...I can't really criticise. I see nothing wrong myself. o_o;;

SALSAlys

Next section again... woot!

Unread postby SALSAlys » Sun May 19, 2002 5:34 pm

Kali retreated back to where she lived.

A home implies that you like it there, that you are loved... it's not a home. It's a house, she reflected. If anything, the inn is my 'home'.

She could hear Stepda snoring, and smell the faint reek of the harsh juniper whiskey which he brewed.

Probably had a few too many drinks, and is passed out... He's going to have an awful hangover in the morning. Better wake up early, gather the juniper berries and herbs. She went inside, where the fire was still flickering, although it was a few bare coals, and the charred remains of a log. Cautiously, careful not to touch him any more than she had to, Kali removed the empty jug from his hands, stoppering it and placing it on the rough table.

Kali then lay in her usual spot in front of the fire, curled on her side, facing the flames. There were no creatures in it, though.

Will they ever come back?

She hadn't prayed for— she couldn't remember ever praying. But Kali felt the need to.

Those things... they were the only thing that made me feel different. Special, she realized. As long as I could see them, and nobody else could, I didn't feel like such a nothing. Mrs. Thatcher is nice, but she's the only one who really cares for me. Everybody else figures 'Oh, her mother was a whore, she'll probably be one too' or just feels pity.

"Please..." Kali whispered. She felt like somebody trying to catch a rainstorm in a bucket. "Please come back... I'm sorry for whatever I did."

She waited.

Nothing happened.

I guess that's it, then, she thought resignedly. Why should I have expected anything different?

Finally, she blew at the coals, making them flare slightly before subsiding again, and went to sleep.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/usalsalys.showPublicProfile?language=EN>SALSAlys</A] at: 5/19/02 9:38:08 pm

Choark

*sniff*

Unread postby Choark » Mon May 20, 2002 7:46 am

Just read all this ;_; Poor Kali

well I'm sorry to say I'm not very good at critising work either, heck, I can't even spell.

I will say I'll keep checking here for when you update the story though, very intresting so far and I'm looking forward to seeing how Kali grows as a character ^_^ Weeeee

Jak Snide

Hehe...

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon May 20, 2002 9:52 am

Do I really need to say it again? Well, just to be sure...

MORE~! Image

Star Lancer

*looks for something intelligent to say*

Unread postby Star Lancer » Mon May 20, 2002 11:05 am

Sorry, but since I haven't done anything remotely creative in the English department for over two years now, my own standard is atrocious. Otherwise I would have been glad to help you. Damn you accounting and your theoretical creativity sapping... thingie...

SALSAlys

Yay! Inspiration hits me like a truck!

Unread postby SALSAlys » Mon May 20, 2002 9:04 pm

Kali woke up early the next morning. The coals had long gone out, and Stepda was still snoring. She silently went to her feet.

Too early to bother Mrs. Thatcher... might as well get a start on picking the juniper berries and some of the plants. Other, more edible berries were ripe, and Kali picked up two small baskets, woven out of softened tree bark.

Juniper is to the west, and there's a bramble of raspberries nearby. She continued out, barefoot. The air had a pleasant chill to it, enough to wake Kali up, but not enough to make her shiver.

She went through tall grasses, some of which reached above her waist. A few blood-sucking insects buzzed around, but Kali swatted them away, swinging her baskets.

Eh?

Something... no, somebody was by the juniper. A pale, stony complexion of red and orange, with those startling eyes, visible as a warm ochre even from this distance...

It's one of THEM!

Auxillion

WOW

Unread postby Auxillion » Tue May 21, 2002 12:11 am

..... I should've read this awhile ago. What's gonna happen what's gonna happen what's gonna happen? My only critism is too change da too dad but that's it! This inspires me too make my own backstory! *Whips out a pen* "Warning:poorly written" my ass.

<h2>
MORE
</h2>

pd Rydia

Re: WOW

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue May 21, 2002 2:27 pm

I like the "da" -- Katharine Kerr uses it, too, in her Deverry books.

I wanna see more. More, darn you! >_<

GACK! O_O I'll be in Spain before this is finished!

;_; *sniffle* You better email me a copy of it when you finish it! <p>

Jak Snide

Don't do eeeeet~!

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue May 21, 2002 3:13 pm

Plagiarism is afoot!

Oh, and more. XD

SALSAlys

*blink blink*

Unread postby SALSAlys » Tue May 21, 2002 7:43 pm

Aiyah.... I didn't know that anybody else used 'da'! I just call MY daddy 'da'! Well, that and "Silly", "Daddy-o", and "KIWI!".

And I don't know if I can e-mail it to you... *sniffles*

pd Rydia

Re: *blink blink*

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue May 21, 2002 7:51 pm

"Da" is not copyrighted. >_> Anymore than "dad" "daddy" or "father." Durh, Jak. XD

>_< And I forgot...you have the insane nazi parents! <p>
-=- "Alas, pants. I knew them well." -- Kotoki</td></tr></table></p>Edited by: pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 5/21/02 11:53:42 pm

SALSAlys

And nearly forgot... NEXT SECTION!

Unread postby SALSAlys » Tue May 21, 2002 8:02 pm

Kali automatically crouched, not sure if this was friend or foe. She crept backwards slowly, trying her best not to rustle the grass. The pounding of her heart was hardly reassuring, beating like a wild, erratic drum in her ears...

"Girl, I know you're there," said the thing, walking akwardly to Kali, as though it wasn't used to legs. "My lord Fireblaze wishes to speak with you." The words were also strange, stilted slightly, with peculiar hisses or tongue rolls at times, and the lips getting in the way.

"What does he want to talk about?" asked Kali, standing up. She decided that since it already knew she was there, trying to hide would be futile.

And I think I could outrun it, if I threw away the baskets...

"He would like to talk about how long you have been seeing our kind."

"Why?"

"Because it could be important." Even if it wasn't used to a humanoid body, its voice was showing its impatience and annoyance.

"What if I don't want to come?"

"I must take you anyways." The thing continued walking to Kali.

She flung her baskets at it, but the two wooden constructs burst into flame, turned into a pile of drifting ashes before they even touched the ground.

Dear gods no! Kali ran away, cursing every stumble and rock in her path. The thing followed her doggedly, gaining speed as its walk turned into a jog, then a run, the movements becoming more natural with each step it took.

What do I do? What do I do what do I do what do I DO?! She stole a glance behind her... in a few more minutes, the thing could catch her, and she'd end up like those baskets, or imprisoned in some prison of fire...

Kali searched her brain frantically, trying to think of anything that could help her. She could remember a spell... a spell from a story Mrs. Thatcher told her once... What was it? It couldn't be a real spell, or only wizards would know it, but maybe just maybe if it was possible for the child of a whore to see shapes in the fire and be pursued by a creature of the flame then maybe just maybe it was possible that a story could have a true spell in it—

Her desperate train of thought was broken as she tripped again, over a loose pebble. She was sent sprawling onto her belly, trying to land in a roll and gain momentum again.

But those few, precious seconds was enough for it to catch up with her.

Finally, Kali remembered the words.

"I conjure thee,
By wind and wave,
By stormy skies
With heart so brave
To tame the flame
Fight the fire
And reach home safely
By my heart's desire!"

she cried, painfully aware of every forced rhyme and broken cadence, with her fear making her trip over words, stumbling and stuttering so much that it sounded like somebody clapping or snapping their fingers.

The thing stared at her, then broke into laughter. "Oh child, child... you'll amuse Fireblaze greatly. Did you really think I was going to harm you? Or that your nursery rhyme would stop me?" The laughter was surprisingly clear and bright, with none of the clumsiness of the other actions.

It held out a hand, and Kali nodded slowly, reaching for it as it helped her to her feet.

"We'll go to Fireblaze now, and I can be rid of this shell. Here we go..." Spirals of multi-colored flame— gold, amber, turquoise, emerald, orange, and some that Kali couldn't name—
surrounded them, twirling around the two until they cleared away.

"Not as good as a dimensional door, but the fire works just as well," came her escort's comment, but Kali was too busy staring about the new surroundings they were in.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/usalsalys.showPublicProfile?language=EN>SALSAlys</A] at: 5/24/02 12:11:46 am

Jak Snide

Actually Dia, I was talking about you stealing her work. :b

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue May 21, 2002 8:26 pm

Standard response. You know the deal. Image

pd Rydia

fah!

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue May 21, 2002 8:34 pm

Actually, the last installment seemed ever so slightly rushed...when you go to revise your story, I'd work on that installment a bit. Just read over it, add in bits if you can to build suspense, etc. It's not bad, at all, I just think it has the most room for improvement of all so far. <p>

SALSAlys

Hey, SOMEBODY noticed!

Unread postby SALSAlys » Tue May 21, 2002 10:01 pm

Well, it WAS a bit rushed. I had to go to karate class soon after that. ^_^

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Re: Hey, SOMEBODY noticed!

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Thu May 23, 2002 2:31 pm

Just read it all, and I like it!

As the others say you might want to work on that last bit, work on her emotions, go into more detail about how she feels, her fear, her exhuastion, her puzzelment. Similarily you might want to delve deeper into the first encounter with the smaller flame-esque creature, play with it for a bit, lull your reader into a false sense of security, about the gentle flame creature, and then have the hnad come out.

However a great story, keep it up!
<p>Quotes of the Week:A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean my mother.If electricity come from electrons, does morality come from morons?</p>

SALSAlys

Yay! Criticism!

Unread postby SALSAlys » Thu May 23, 2002 4:42 pm

Yay! Solid, constructive criticism!

*glances up* Whoo! Alliteration!

Jak Snide

*Bumps*

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon May 27, 2002 11:48 am

I'm waiting, but I'm not seeing any more! *looks impatient and taps foot.*

SALSAlys

Sorry, sir! *sharply salutes*

Unread postby SALSAlys » Mon May 27, 2002 7:08 pm

They were surrounded in a room of shifting flame, like they were in the center of a fiery half-dome. There was an arch of obsidian directly in front of them, and the floor was made of the same smooth material. Kali had expected to feel hot and dry, but the temperature was actually rather pleasant.

"How do we get out of here?" she asked in a hushed whisper.

"Easily. This is one of the rooms where summoning or dimensional portals take place. The only elemental who is allowed to do those in other places is Fireblaze." Her guide had a slightly distant look, and the fire cleared from the area inside the arch. He stepped through, his body movements much more natural. His body had changed, and he was composed of something akin to lava, except he was living. His 'flesh' was a glowing yellow, except for black sedimentary areas, but the eyes remained unchanged.

"Elemental? So you're all... fire elementals?" Kali had to do a walk-skip to keep up.

"Yes. But these sort of questions would best wait until you meet Fireblaze, so he could understand you better."

"But what's your name?"

A brief smile flickered over his face. "Magmar."

They continued the rest of the walk in silence, passing by many elementals. To Kali's bewildered eye, their body types seemed to be a riot of confusion. Some were like Magmar, with a lava-like, humanoid body, while others were of pure flame, floating in the air and moving without arms or legs, but occasionally with glimpses of bright eyes from within. Yet others had human upper bodies, but a lower half which trickled into fire, while even more had small, lizard-like forms, with tiny wings.

Kali resolved to ask Fireblaze about this, as well as some other questions she had.

Finally, they passed under a larger arch of obsidian, walking to a large building, constructed of delicately carved obsidian— Why is everything made of that black rock? wondered Kali— in several bubble-like globes, a sculptor's play-toy copied into architecture.

"Is this where Fireblaze lives?" Kali asked Magmar.

"Yes."

"So what is he, exactly? He's your leader, right? So is he like a prince, or king, or wizard, or—" They continued walking into the nearest of the domes.

"Actually, I prefer the title 'Fire Lord'," came a rich, urbane voice.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/usalsalys.showPublicProfile?language=EN>SALSAlys</A] at: 5/27/02 11:11:55 pm

MellyDuckie

Re: Sorry, sir! *sharply salutes*

Unread postby MellyDuckie » Mon May 27, 2002 10:38 pm

Pokemon reference purposeful?

Other than that, the little ametuer writer that is me finds no problems. <p>
<table><tr><td>Image</td><td>Despite all of her actions (and whatever her status menu might say), Melanie is NOT a thief. She's a.... uhm... Charlaton-ist! Yeah.
"I like to draw poofy tails because they're poofy and taily!" -Me</td></tr></table> </p>

SALSAlys

Unread postby SALSAlys » Mon May 27, 2002 11:17 pm

Oh yeah... forgot Magmar's a Pokemon.

Ah well. Me likes the name!

ikozaedro

Unread postby ikozaedro » Tue May 28, 2002 12:19 am

MEOW!....i mean...good! <p><font face=ravie>Imagesasquatch,the link between the human race and apes.......sort of
excuse orthographic errors,damn it!, im mexican what where you all expecting?
"Yogi Beer, it will make you feel like your dad!"</font></p>

Next

Return to Fanfiction and Other Writings