A world of Fantasy

For artistic creations in text format.

Moderators: KingOfDoma, NebulaQueen

JediAl11

A world of Fantasy

Unread postby JediAl11 » Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:10 pm

This is simply a transfer of my post from the old board.

BTW those curious can see the picture of my character here:www.fantasy.ru/perumov/ga...oi1024.jpg

Disclaimer: I sincerly apologise for any grammar mistakes found in this post. Special appology goes to Rydia, for I am yet to correct the grammar in my previous fanfic.

The character
The characters of Fett and Kara are not truly mine. They have been "derived" from characters created by a Russian fantasy author Nik Perumov.
The author
Nik Perumov first major attempt on fantasy writing was sequel to Tolkien. The sequel was warmly popular but due to restrictions imposed by Tolkien Foundation could not gain wide prominence. So Nik deviated from Tolkien and created his own world, Unity(loose translation. I will attempt to make a better one).
Unity
In the beginning there was Chaos. Chaos was infinite but not uniform. At certain parts it was denser than in others. Where chaos was especially dense it would acquire certain stability. But before that stability would be able to gain sentience it would be consumed by the chaos. For no clear reason, once one of the stabilties did gain sentience. That sentience was called the Creator. Creator managed to separate itself from chaos by creating light. Light flew out in all directions. Where it would land it would be fused with chaos and slowly change. The first thing that it would create was darkness. What was left of light would become gray, not quite light not quite darkness. The grey were gods, they would develop their own sentience and used their combinatory powers of light and chaos to create worlds. Creator seen all these worlds and decided that they all belong together in the realm of light. But darkness also lived on those worlds, and as a father Creator could not just simply destroy the darkness. So he created the Law of Unity. There could never be too much light or too much darkness. The two opposing(by nature) forces have to remain in balance, if the Unity wishes to remain in existance.
Warningo not interpret Light and Darkness as good and evil. That is not always entirely true.
Creator apparantly had other things to do. Forces of chaos did not forgive him for breakin their control. In order to watch over the Unity, Creator made elves and Young Gods. At the time Unity was controlled by Old Gods, the most powerfull of the Greys. Elves quitely descended into most of the worlds in the Unity(it is unclear whether the number of worlds of finite or not.)The Young Gods came into the Unity with quite a fanfare.(Again it is unclear where they dwelled before that. Apparantly Creator has a separate world set up for him alone) Old Gods refused to give up power and a great battle ensued. Old Gods were mostly vanquished. Young Gods took control of the Unity and of creatures within it.(The creatures in the Unity are not precisely unique. They are mostly the regular array of dwarfs, gnomes, trolls, goblins etc and of course humans. Humans are the curious ones. They are not created. They just appeared in all the worlds. By most accounts they are offspring not of light and chaos, but of light and darkness) Minor gods either accepted their rule or were destroyed in their turn, their worlds given over to the emissaries of the Young Gods. During the power play between Old Gods and Young Gods, a new race was born. The powers used in that battle created Mages. Mages were like humans in most aspects, ecept they were born directly of Astral, the magical power that permeates the universe. Young Gods took Mages under their own care, teaching them and guiding them in the ways of the Light.
Centuries passed all creatures came and passed changing and evolving, all except the Gods. Even elves and Mages did not posess true immortality. They would get bored with life and Gods would take them into Eden, their own personal world. New generations would replace the old ones and the cycle would go on.

I will now take a sidenote to explain a few other interesting phenomena in the Unity. Besides previously described powers of Light, Darkness and Chaos, there were Other powers. Perumov is yet to explain where they came from. The powers are as follows:
The Far Ones: Their characteristic is that all their magic is green in color. It is suspeceted by the fans, that Far Ones are a particularly strong Cycle of Mages, that refused to live in Eden but instead followed their own pass.
Orlangur or Golden Dragon:Also known as the Third Force, Orlangur is the power beyond even that of the creator, as long as he doesn't choose sides. He is neither Light, Dark or Chaos, an therefore unswers to none, except to himself. He is one of the greatest mysteries in the Unity. He seldom gets involved in the things that happen in the Unity, and when he does his reason are often known only to himself. He is also a self-appointed Keeper of Balance.
Demogorgon:Brother of Orlangur, he sleeps. Supposedly he is holding up the Unity. His mind roams free, but he never gets involved. It is possible for a Mage to call upon his power, but dangerous. It said that if Demogorgon is to awaken, the world will end, and Creator will have to rebuild it.

These are not all powers, but the most distinct ones.

Back to the Mages. As cycles followed one another, Gods grew bored and stopped following closely the actions of new Cycles.
Mages still trained in the ways of the Light, but soon some of them became curious of other powers out there.
One cycle two mages were born. Instead of following the teachings of light, they decided to explore the realm of Darkness. They found great power there. One of them, Rakot, got so intoxicated with that power, that he challenged the Gods. His armies tried taking Eden by storm, but were vanquished at the last possible moment. Rakot was captured, his bodie destroyed(not even Gods could kill a Mage completely) and his followers vanquished. His friend,Hedin, tried following in his footsteps, but the vary Gods intercepted him at the very beginng. Hedin was stripped of most of his powers and banished for a thousand years into the biggest of the Unity worlds, Hervard. There Hedin plotted his revenge, with the help of one of the surviving Old Gods, Hreft. Once the powers were returned to him, Hedin with help of Hage, his pupil, and Hreft managed to free Rakot and capture the amulets of the gods, the items through which the gods supposedly channeled their powers. The amulets turned out to be faked, and Hedin, Hreft, Hagen and Rakot found themselves under siege by combined armies of the remaining Mages of their Cycle. Gods considered the two rebellious mages and their followers as non-issue and did not get directly involved. But Orlangur did. He helped Hedin and Rakot reach a safe place, where they could actually take on the powers of th Mages. While under siege there Hedin discovered that one of the amulets is actually a portal to one of the three Springs of Power. Springs of Power were direct links between Young Gods and Creator. Basically they were the power of the Young Gods. Hedin, Rakot and Hreft managed to capture the spring that the amulet led to. They've discovered that one of the springs was long destroyed, and that the last one lies in Eden. The trio traveled to Eden and with the help of Orlangur managed to reach the last Spring. The Gods lost their power and dissapeared. Orlangur explained that Hedin, Rakot and Hreft are now the New Gods, in charge of keeping the balance. Young Gods overdid it with their crusade for the light and thus upset the balance.

The New Gods were faced with an immediate problem. During the resque of Rakot, they were assaulted by the combined forces of the Mages. Thinking that it is all over for him again, Rakot used his post powerfull spell. That spell called upon the Unmentionable.

Unmentionable is an ultimate NOTHINGNESS. It is sentient, but its only desire is to consume all of existance, creation and chaos alike. As it consumes it becomes stronger. Nobody knows what kept it at bay for centuries, but once it was summoned by Rakot it began to consume the Unity.

When Hedin, Rakot and Hreft became the New Gods, they used the combined power of the real amulets of the Young Gods to create a barrier of worlds around Unmentionable. The barrier would constantly spwan worlds, which Unmentionable would consume. But being sentient it wanted more, so it would constantly try to break through the barrier.

My character is a memeber of a separate clan of Mages. This clan was born of the union between humans and Mages. The members of the clan are generally stronger than humans magicwise. Mages left this world after the fall of Young Gods, so this clan became the dominat magical power in the Unity. These mages became mercenaries, hiring themselves out to the highest bidder. In most worlds it is no secret that their world is not the only one.

Due to a whole set of accidents my character got trapped on a closed world. Closed worlds are the worlds that were once sealed off by someone for reasons unknown. Regular dwellers of Unity cannot enter it. Only Gods and most powerfull magic users can.

What Fett discovered in this world is that it was a center of a new attempt of the Unmentionable to make it trought the barrier. What he also discovered that this world managed somehow to repell the creatures that look exactly like the servants of Unmentionable. With the help of the Dragons, Fett managed to stop the breakthrough from happening, and he did it without the aid from the gods.

Dragons in Unity are sentient, can transform into humans and are mostly Guardians of the Centers of Power. Each world has its own centers of power, often concentrated in large crystals. The power of the world itself is contained in those crystals. Dragons protect them from misuse.
Dragons helped Fett to stop the Unmentionable by destroying one of such crystals. As a result the Cystal's guardians died, leaving their newborn daughter,Kara, in Fett's care.

Fett has traveled to Gaera because during his travels he met a dwarf who told him of the world where powerfull magic users are dime a dozen. Fett is hoping to seek allies in this world.

The Project
The Story of the Uprising of the Hedin and Rakot and all that followed takes space of about 14 books so far, not counting the multiple side stories.
They are all in Russian and it is my goal to translate them all into English. That summary is sample of by far larger story. I hope you enjoyed reading it. In your reply please post if you would be interested in reading the whole thing when I am done translating.
<p>The new face of fantasy....</p>

pd Rydia

whoo...

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:37 pm

I've been meaning to read that for some time, and now I finally have.

Some of the similarities between the Unity and Gaera are startling. o.o; When I was writing the creation story for the religion page I don't think I'd ever seen another creation story involving Chaos before.

Translating all that will be a MASSIVE task. I hope you have some help with it. It sounds very interesting indeed, and I'd like to read more. Wouldn't posting full translations be a copyright infringement, however? <p><center><table border cellspacing=0 cellpadding=4><tr><td><center>Image RydiaChan -- "Commiting random acts of insanity since 1982!"
The Pocket Dragon Encyclopedia -
Warning: Excessively Cute Dragons Contained Within</center></td></tr></table></center></p>

JediAl11

Re: whoo...

Unread postby JediAl11 » Mon Apr 22, 2002 8:36 pm

Yes unfortunately if I post translation without the consent of the author it would be a copyright infringement. The author just received his interational copyright. But the author is a proffesional translator so I am quie confident that if I will make a translation he will be able to review it and allow posting of it on the web. He is really a nice guy.

Right now I am actually alone on this project so the work will progree very slowly. But I am confident that at least first book will be translated by the end of summer. <p>The new face of fantasy....</p>

pd Rydia

Re: whoo...

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Apr 22, 2002 9:02 pm

Niftiness...I don't know any authors like that, myself. o_o;

Image <p><center><table border cellspacing=0 cellpadding=4><tr><td><center>Image RydiaChan -- "Commiting random acts of insanity since 1982!"
pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 6/8/05 20:40
[/i]

Return to Fanfiction and Other Writings