Homecoming: A Second Gen fic

For artistic creations in text format.

Moderators: KingOfDoma, NebulaQueen

Uncle Pervy

Homecoming: A Second Gen fic

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:52 pm

With his back against the wall of the Ivory Horn, a young man of seventeen years looks impatiently to the clock. Eleven fifty-two, it reads. He sighs, running a hand through his blonde hair. It's almost time. Trying ignore the gnawing sensation in his stomach, he sighs and looks toward the door once again. His face, normally roguishly handsome and bearing an easy smile, has a neutral look that threatens to collapse into despair at any moment. He shifts in his seat, trying to ignore the weakness in his legs. The Inn is otherwise empty, as it is a weekday night.

"Good to see you're here, Dmitri," comes a voice from the door, as an older blonde man in rough wayfarer's clothing walks into the inn. A bow rests in sheath at the man's side, while a quiver of arrows adorns his opposite hip. With skin that has been weathered by the elements and a sturdy frame, there is no doubting he had devoted his life to the outdoors.

"You came this far, Dad," Dmitri says, not sure what else to say as the older man approaches him. His stomach flutters as his father sits down, he quietly tenses to be hit. But there is no blow this time. Dmitri almost allows himself a sigh of relief. But no, he can't show any weakness.

"Damn right I did, boy." The older man makes himself comfortable, then fixes a glare on Dmitri. "What you got to say for yourself?" This was it, then. Right to the point, just like always. Time to just starting talking, and wait for the argument.

"It ain't mine, Dad."

The older man slams his fist on the table, his eyes narrowing. "Then why the hell did you run away?! Don't even try to lie to me!"

Don't break, don't break. That just makes him stronger. "Because no one believed me. There wasn't a way in the world I could prove it to any of you. No one wanted to even listen to me, Dad."

The older man seems to calm a bit, and his gaze relents. Just the eye of the storm, Dmitri tells himself. The worst is yet to come. "So that's why you took our best Chocobo and ran off without a word to me or your mother. I saw you weren't too shy about selling it, either."

I had to keep you from using it to get me, huh? "I can pay for that."

"What the hell makes you think that's the issue?!" He slams his fist on the table again. "No one gives a two damns about that bird! You left that girl with child and ran away!"

"That kid isn't mine!" Dmitri shouts. "I wouldn't run from that! Gods damnit Dad, if it was mine, I would have stayed there and married her! Why the hell do you think I'm such a bastard?!"

The glare returns, and older man's voice drops to a dangerous hush. "I'll tell you why, Dmitri. I'll tell you. Because you've not done a gods damned thing to make me think different, that's why. You skip out on your chores. You run off with just about any woman who even looks at you twice. You make life hard for everyone with you're little pranks. Then you expect everyone to believe you when you say, when it was your messing around in the goddamned hay caused a problem. Well that's what you have now. What're you gonna do about, son?"

Silence hangs heavy in the air for a moment. Dmitri can hear his father trying to restrain his breathing. He can see the older man's arm muscles twitching just a bit. It wouldn't take much more for this to get ugly. It's happened before. It doesn't matter anymore. "First. I wanna know. Do you believe me? Are you even half-willing to consider that maybe, just maybe, I'm not lying?"

"You tell me, why don't you?" He says, Sitting back and crossing his arms. "You've lied to me in the past, Dmitri. You've been taking the lazy way for years. You flirt with any woman who looks at you. Then you run off in the middle of the night without telling a soul. I can't trust you anymore, Dmitri. Do you have any idea how worried your mother has been? Do you? Sweet Ishtar, she was afraid you were dead in a ditch somewhere!"

For a moment, Dmitri focuses on his breathing. Breathe in. Breathe out. Don't fall for the trap. It takes every ounce of restraint. There is so much he could say. So many little things he could point out. But that wouldn't get anywhere, would it? It would be so satisfying to throw it all back in his face, and make him eat every last one of those words. It's easy for him to sit there and talk. He didn't have the whole town breathing down his neck, blaming him for something he didn't do! Dmitri clenches his teeth, as his thoughts rage. Godsdamnit, and he just expects me to drop the life I've made for myself here! He doesn't even care that I'm successful and happy! he just buys the same lie and acts like he knows everything! No no, can't have the life you made here, come back home and kick dirt like a goddamned idiot until you die!

"You gonna say something, boy?"

That's it. "You going to stop riding my ass like a racehorse, first. Maybe even stop insulting me long enough say a few words? That'd sure be nice, wouldn't it?"

The man slowly begins to stand up. "That how you want this to be, son?" He cracks his knuckles. "I'm trying to give change to fess up and stop being a damned fool. You wanna throw that away?"

Great. Another fight I can't win. Another argument decided before I ever said a word. Nothing left to do but let this ride itself out, not like this is the first time. Whenever I try to do anything, this always happens! That's it. He may be stronger and more experienced, but fuck him if he thinks he'll be just walking away from this!

"What is there to throw away, huh?" Dmitri slowly stands, looking the older man in the eyes. There was deep displeasure in those aged green eyes. "You don't care what I have to say. You've made up your mind. Why are you even bothering?"

"Because I'm giving you a chance to stop trying to spew shit and tell the truth, that's why!" Shouts the older man, his right arm tensing. This was it. Shouldn't be too hard to back away from it, but how to follow through? That chair should do nicely. "I'm your gods damned Father and you will give me respect, or I swear to Ishtar I'll knock some sense in your fool head!"

"Dmitri, Dad? If you two are fighting where I get in there..." calls a loud, female voice heavy with promise from outside, as the inn's doors swing open.

"What are you doing here, Choko?" says the older man, surprise clear on his face as he looks toward the doors. His head is turned, and very open for a first shot right to the jaw.

It's tempting, so very tempting. But, with Choko right there... Groaning a bit, Dmitri looks toward the door, as an immensely tall woman ducks until the doorway, almost having to almost low enough to touch the ground. Standing upright, her head nearly brushing the ceiling of the inn, she focuses her eyes on Dmitri, then on his father. Dmitri just looks at the woman for a moment. In her early twenties, dressed in clothing befitting a farm girl, she would be hardly stand out were she normal sized.

"When'd you get back in town, Choko?" Dmitri says after a moment. It was unexpected, to say the least. She had been gone for months, traveling gods know where. Still, if nothing else, she was a potential alley.

"Just this afternoon," says the giantess, as she walks over to the table, and moves a chair aside before helping herself to a seat on the floor. Even then, she still managed to tower over the two men a bit. "And thank the gods for it, I should've guessed you two would be fussing like this! Good thing I found the letter you left for me at the Jade Dragon, and came as soon as I had everything taken care of. Didn't know Dad was visting though." She shifts her gaze between the two. "So, you two going to sit down and tell me what's going on, or are you just going to beat on each other like drums?"

The older man gives his daughter a look. Just like him, never admitting anything. Then he looks back to Dmitri. "I'm waiting, boy."

"What's going on?" Choko asks, as she folds her hands on the table-top. She looks at the older man, and opens her mouth to say something. Then she stops, clearly thinking better of it. She always was the good girl, never speaking out against him. A survival instinct from the days when she was younger; smaller.

"I'll tell you what's going on," the older man says, his voice clipped as he looks up to the giantess, then glares back at Dmitri. "Your brother went and had a night in the hay with Joan Clamento and she's ends up with a baby, so he decides to up and run away in the middle of the night! That's what's going on!"

For a moment, Choko looks shocked. Then she just sighs, shaking her immense head. "Dmitri... I always told you about this..."

Dmitri fixes a glare at both his father and his sister. Even Choko thinks like he does, and she wasn't even there to see! "Look! It's not my kid! I don't care what the hell Joan says, that baby is not mine! It never was! I said it once and I'll say it again. It belongs to that guy who traveled though last winter!"

"Calm down, Dmitri."says Choko, as she looks to the older man. "Does it look like him at all?"

He shakes his head. "Hasn't been born yet. It's due in a few weeks."

Aha! "See?!" Dmitri says. "See?! It would have to have been born by now if it were mine!"

"Just sit down, Dmitri," says Choko, "I only have a vague idea what's going on. So why don't you tell me?' The older man starts to speak, but the giantess holds up a hand to stop him. "Not you, Dad. I want to hear his version of things. Just like good Guard-work and all. But you can sit down, alright"

The older man grumbles under his breath and has a seat, bringing a small grin to Dmitri's lips. About time someone shut him up. Who would have thought it would have been Choko, though? After being meek as a kitten for so many years, doing her best to blend in and seem normal... Sitting back down again, he leans on the table and says. "Alright, it's like this. Joan and I did have some fun last winter. But you know how Joan is, Choko. She'll chase anything that moves."

"Something you're all too familiar with," mutters the giantess.

"Shut up," says Dmitri, shooting another glare at her. "Like I was saying, it isn't mine. I've done this before, right? I'm smart enough to avoid that. Not happened once in three years!" Dmitri notes a vaguely surprised look on his father's face, forcing him to suppress a grin. The older man hadn't known it had been happening for that long. Was it disgust or pride behind that surprise?

"Accidents do happen, y'know." Choko says gently. "Look at every other person who walks into the Jade Dragon on a bad day."

"Not a chance," Dmitri says. shaking his head, "and it was like ten and a half months ago! Anyways. I know she slept with some traveler that came through afterwards."

The giantess nods, "Sometimes it does take a bit longer, But, I guess I'll give you the benefit of a doubt." The older man snorts, prompting a look from the giantess. Then she continues. "So if you have all this evidence, why'd you leave?"

"Nobody believed me," he answers with a shrug. "Joan isn't saying anything except it's mine, and that damned sibling brute squad of hers never cared one lick for me anyway. Nobody else cares whether I'm right or not, all they wanted was a spectacle. Not that I'm surprised, given how boring that damned town is."

"So what're you gonna do about, Dmitri?" the older man says, his voice leaving no question that this was an order to speak, not a request.

"What are you gonna do?" says Choko, "I mean...well..."

Dmitri lets his sister trail off, confident she isn't going to find the words she wants. "Right, I was hoping that everyone would just let it drop. Didn't work out like that, so..." The young man shrugs. "Guess I'll just have to go back and tell 'em all one more time."

"Then what?" asks the older man.

"Then I'm done," Dmitri answers. "I'm coming straight back to Doma. See, I've made a good life for myself here, and I'm not going back. I don't care what anyone back home thinks. They showed me exactly how much they cared about what I thought, didn't they now? Of course, they'll want to tear me limb from limb, but how's that really a change?"

"You know," Choko says, shifting a bit to settle more comfortably onto the floor. "I'd go with you, and help if you wanted. Been ages since I've been back home, anyways."

"And your gonna have to prove this, son," adds the older man. "Not just shout it at people, mind you. You're gonna have to make puzzle it out."

What? Did he just...? "So...you believe me, Dad?"

"Doesn't matter if I do or not, does it boy?" he says, "You're gonna have to make them believe. My job's just to drag your arse home and make you account for things."

Even then, that's one hell of a change of attitude, isn't it, Dad? Just a minute ago, you were ready to knock me on the floor and drag me back... "Anyways, I'll figure out what to do when I get there."

"I could try to get some help, maybe," Choko says. "I've got friends who might be able to help you find something."

"I bet that Drow girl you were chatting up would help out," adds Dmitri's father, his face neutral.

Dmitri gives his an underamused look, hoping this will hide that he doesn't know whether that's a joke or not. "Chatting up a drow?" says Choko, raising an eyebrow for a moment as he face darkens a tad . "Gods damn you, Dmitri. Don't you ever learn? You'd think after all this, you'd have figured out not to go running around with women like that!"

"Oh for the sake of..." Dmitri leans back in his chair, looking up at the ceiling. "She's a friend, Sis. Way too smart to fall for anything I'd pull. Not that I was trying, mind you."

"Of course not," answers the Giantess. "So, who is she?"

"Not important," says Dmitri with a dismissing wave. "What I want to know is where in the hells you've been for...almost a year now?"

"Well, it's kinda a long story..." she says.

"Start telling, girl," says the older man, as he leans back in his chair and kicks his feet up on the table. "I'll pay for the drinks, so don't even try to give that excuse. I wanna know my my girl's been for the past year."

At least the attention's off me, Dmitri muses, as the giantess begins to tell her story. Even managed to walk away, which is better than I expected. Now, I just gotta figure out how I'm gonna prove all this...

<p>-------------------------------------
Image</p>Edited by: Uncle Pervy&nbsp; Image at: 11/15/04 12:27 am

Choark

Re: Homecoming: A Second Gen fic

Unread postby Choark » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:33 am

Cool read!

Not sure if I like Dmitri mind you and could totally see where that brute of a Father was coming from, even if he was a little heavyhanded, but cool none the less.

Read well from what I could tell too, nothing spectacularly amazing or mind blowing, but a good simple read that was nice.

My guess is this is the "before" fic to THIS RP if my reasoning is sound. <p><div style="text-align:center"> </div>
<div style="text-align:center"> Image </div>
<div style="text-align:center"> Something cute plots your death </div></p>

Vampire Jester Jinx

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:29 pm

Totally groovy lead up, though a bit jumpy in spots, and there are a few words missing here or there. But other than a few mechanics, this story is pretty darn cool.

Nadymma is pleased at the lack of Dmitri aimed violence in this fic.Image <p><div style="text-align:center">

The lunatic, the lover, and the poet Are of imagination all compact: One sees more devils than vast hell can hold, That is, the madman: the lover, all as frantic, Sees Helen's beauty in a brow of Egypt: The poet's eye, in a fine frenzy rolling, Doth glance from heaven to earth, from earth to heaven; And as imagination bodies forth The forms of things unknown, the poet's pen Turns them to shapes, and gives to airy nothing A local habitation and a name.
Willy Shakespeare</div></p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:47 am

Cho has made me happy with his reaction to Dmitri. ^^ <p>-------------------------------------
Image</p>

Return to Fanfiction and Other Writings