[Dekiem Fic] Another Smoke

For artistic creations in text format.

Moderators: KingOfDoma, NebulaQueen

Nekogami

[Dekiem Fic] Another Smoke

Unread postby Nekogami » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:47 am

"How many of those are you going to have?" Tzechna leaned on the bar and watched Dekiem light up anothing cigarette.

Dekiem took a puff and stared lazily into a bottle of valthka. "...As many as it takes..." It was his standard reply whenever Tzechna asked.

"You only smoke with something bothers you. That's to say it's rare. What's on your mind?"

Dekiem took a very long drag and held the smoke in his lungs longer than normal. Frankly, the smoke burned his lungs and eyes but when times were tough, it eased his mind.

Tzechna twitched annoyed that he was being ignored. He and Dekiem were not brothers but cousins. Third cousins. Tzechna served in the military. Dekiem was the rich son of a rich father. Why he chose to put his life on the line as a mercenary was beyond most people. But not to Tzechna. Dekiem's psionic powers made most people nervous. But not Tzechna. Nothing Dekiem did bothered him which was why of all the people Dekiem trusted, Tzechna was the only one.

"It's not healthy to smoke like that..."

A long, deliberate sigh accompanied by a cloud of smoke. "A lot of the things I do aren't healthy. Surprise, surprise."

"The hard-ass crap might bother other people but it's wasted on me. I don't need psionic powers to tell me that you've got a lot on you mind, so spill it before I shoot you."

"You wouldn't shoot me..." Dekiem closed his eyes and taking deep breaths of air. Tzechna waited. He always stalled like this. Take his time with things that matter and rush head long into things that will get you killed. You just had to learn to be patient with him.

"People are all liars."

Tzechna blinked. "What?"

"Don't you get it? People are all liars. Even someone who is truly righteous lies. They parade around like nothing is wrong and inside they're dying slowly because of the sins of everyone they save. That's a big lie in my book."

"Why are you so harsh like that?"

"Because people make a big deal about lying. They say it hurts people but who really cares? I live in a country where even a new born baby comes out crying. They aren't even innocent because their pain hurts people's ears. Everyone here hurts and we just learn to patch it all up and carry on.

"It'd be stupid and pretty naive to say that once upon a time living in Valth was hard but you know it's all a lie. It's always been hard here."

There was a brief silence. Dekiem smoked in the interim. "No, it's never been easy here but we strong people. We learned not to get hurt so easily. So I guess even if an infant has sin we learned that in the lon run it doesn't matter to worry about it," Tzechna responded. "We don't believe in the power of the gods so who is going to punish for being evil but ourselves?"

"I hate this place."

They stayed quiet for sometime. The bar was mostly empty. People didn't talk much in Valth. No one said hello to a stranger on the street. The unspoken rule was 'mind your business', 'keep on walking, head down, nose clean'. No music played in the Land of Ice. Just the sound of people living.

"You alwyas have, Dekiem...But you would live in no other place."

"No....I wouldn't. So what does that say about me?" Dekiem put out the cigarette.

"You're a man. Plain and simple." Tzechna held up another cigarette. "...One of these days someone's going to shoot you and smoke is going to come out of your chest."

Dekiem took the cigarette and lit it. "Better than blood." <p>

<div style="text-align:center">
[url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=nekogami>Nekogami</A]&nbsp; Image at: 2/6/04 12:30 am
[/i]

SALSAlys

Re: [Dekiem Fanfic] Another Smoke

Unread postby SALSAlys » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:34 am

Got the nice, hard-boiled Valthi feel going on here. Much grimmer mindset you're revealing here, and different mood to this piece than the others. Still excellent though. ^_^

Return to Fanfiction and Other Writings