Out in Therney (Second Gen Fic)

For artistic creations in text format.

Moderators: KingOfDoma, NebulaQueen

Uncle Pervy

Out in Therney (Second Gen Fic)

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:39 am

I decided to start a Second Gen fic that's been bouncing in me head for some time. I just need a title :(

There was a babble of voices outside the stable that Choko had come to think of as her home, accompanied by the sounds of distant music. Laughter and happy talk was everywhere outside, as people walked merrily through the streets. The smell of grilled meats and candies occasionally wafted in, blending with the more sour smells of the horses and chocobos in the stable.

Smoothing the front of her sky blue dress, she walks out from the stables and into the night. It was hardly dark, though. Lanterns seems to adorn every corner, filling the streets with light. Even the city walls, scant yards to the south, are lined with hundred of lamps, all shedding a soft glow. A slow parade of people people in fie yet simple clothing; their chapel-day best; poours in through the gates. Guards carrying partizans greet them courteously, while keeping a steely eye for thieves.

Looking around, Choko can't help but smile in wonder at the scene. It was so beautiful, lights as far as the eye could see. No matter she looked, there were softly glowing lamps, lighting the darkness. It was like the stars had fallen to earth, or like the dawn was coming at evening. Nothing like this could be done at the tiny village she called home, a couple dozen houses just couldn't light up the night like this.

A minstrel walks the streets, clad in well brocaded clothing offset by ruff around his neck. A nobleman if she ever saw one. This was something Choko learned very quickly in Therney: the nobles and the commoners did not dress alike at all. It wasn't like Doma, where the nobles tended to drink alongside the people in the same taverns. Nor like Arzas, where anyone could have a word with Sir Jared whenever they had a moment to go knock on his door. There was a seperation between the two classes here in virtually every aspect of life.

But tonight, it seemed that those lines were going to be a bit blurred as the minstrel walked into the Rose and Weasel inn, where she was staying. Choko waited for him to walk in, as she steeled herself for what was to come. Then, she walked through the door, ducking down to fit through the frame. Inside was a brightly lit taproom, which a high ceiling that let her stand properly without hitting her head on it. The noisy room was almost full to capacity, and much of that noise dided away as she entered.

She tries to avoid meeting their curious looks, instead searching for her friends. Standing a bit over twelve feet tall, it isn't hard for her to look over the entire room. Nor does it take her long to pick out the only non-humans there. Sitting at a round table in the corner are is a motley collection of five, standing out clearly among the Thernians. She walks toward them, dodging around a serving woman. An irritating clinking of coins comes to her ears; Thernians engaged in the national sport: Gambling. She was getting sick and tired of hearing coins change hands whenever she walked in a tavern here.

"Hey everyone," she says as she joins them. There is a spot at the table where the chair has been removed and ample space given. She has a seat on the floor there, just managing to fit her legs under the table as she crosses them. The floor-length dress is more than enough to maintain decency, but getting up isn't going to be easy.

"Heya, Choko!" Says a blonde-haired, busty girl of sixteen as she leaps from her seat to hug the giantess around the waist. Choko smiles, and gently returns the gesture with one arm, having gotten used to Ryoko's enthusiasm over time. Another at the table, a half-drow male gives her a nod, before going back to glowering at nobleman giving the group an odd look. She nods back to Veldrin; that was just his way.

Sindal, the only other full-blooded human in the group, talks quietly with Pure; a woman of drow and nekojin blood. Choko leaves them alone, they so seldom get a chance to talk together. It wouldn't be right to interrupt them now. So she turned her attention to the youngest of the group, a girl with gray wings and serpentine tail. Though only thirteen years old, she had managed to prove herself useful and intelligent many times over the trip. Seeing her space out like she is now, one might think otherwise. "Looking forward to the festival, Choko?" she asks after a moment, noticing the attention.

Choko shifts a bit, trying to get comfortable on the floor. "Never been to a big festival like this." In truth, she had no idea what to expect. "What about you? What're you going to do?"

"I dunno. Maybe I'll have Veldrin take me somewhere."

The half drow snaps his head over toward Miranda, his eyebrows raising as he says. "Wait, what?"

Miranda gives him a smile. "Well, it's not any fun to go alone. And, what else are you going to do?"

"Something!" Vel says, his back stiffening as his eyes narrow. Choko grins despite herself, reminded of her good-for-nothing brother.

"He's gonna go see that girl at the bea~ch," Ryoko says in a singsong tone as she lets the giantess go and sits back down beside him, "An' they're gonna go get some man~gos!"

"Shut up!" Vel fixes his glare on Ryoko, as Miranda snickers.

"Settle down, Ryo," Choko says, putting a hand on Ryoko's shoulder. The last thing they need was for Ryoko's succubus nature to manifest as she went on a rant using mangos in indecent ways. They already had so many people watching them already, the last thing they need is to give the crowd another reason.

"But they're tasty," say Ryoko, pouting. "And they look nice. I bet she'd like 'em, you know."

"Just give it a rest," Veldrin says through a groan.

"Yeah, stop guilting Vel," Miranda adds, "He's probably blown it with her."

"Shut up!" Veldrin fixes his glare on Miranda again.

"Leave him alone, guys," Pure says, turning her attention from Sindal, and shakes a paw disapprovingly at Ryoko and Miranda. "He's just minding his own business."

"Sorry, Sis," Ryoko says, before hugging Veldrin. "We love you, Vel!"

"Yeah yeah, whatever," says the half-drow, as he detatches himself from the hug. Then he asks, 'What are we going to do, anyways? Besides wait for Fiore, that is."

"Where is he, anyways?" Choko asks. It's not like him to be late. Unless he gets called away by Cerene or Keros. Those two always find a way to mess up plans. Maybe Fiore got all the common sense of the family? Cerene sure didn't, that's for certain. Keros had moments of it, at least. Not many, but a few.

"Said he wanted to get something, I think," Miranda says as she leans back in her chair, "I don't think it'll be too long."

Choko nods, then glances over as a lanky man in a red coat and his hair poofed up in a distinctive afro walks over. A tray in his hand and a grin on his face, he asks, "Can I get you guys anything before you go out to the fair?"

Smiling politely at him, the giantess says, "No thanks here, Nate."

"I'll have a glass of juice, Mr Shine," Miranda says.

Some footsteps come from the nearby staircase, drawing Choko's eyes. A smile crosses her lips as an atheletically-built elf with red hair, wearing a fine coat and simple clothing. He was smart enough to avoid trying to clash with the nobles, fashion-wise. The innkeeper had told them enough horror stories about trying to clash with them when Ryoko wore the kimono she had gotten from Nekonia. Fiore was smart enough not to tempt the class system. He was one of the smartest people she had ever met, and easily the kindest. So exotic, yet it didn't seem to go to his head like with other exotic types. "What called you away this time?" asks the giantess. "Did Cerene get herself turned into a mole this time?"

"Nothing quite so troublesome," He says, having a seat beside her, opposite of Ryoko. Choko scoots a bit closer to him. "Just arranging a couple things, that's all."

"Like what?" She asks. The last time he arranged a surprise, they ended up stranded in some jungle in Prandia. She had such a wonderful time there...

Fiore puts his hand over hers. "You'll see when it's time." A little grin dances over his lips; now she was really curious. "Shall we be off?"

<p>------------------
Greetings, large black person. Let us not forget to form a team up together and go into the country to inflict the pain of our karate feets on some ass of the giant lizard person.
</p>Edited by: Uncle Pervy&nbsp; Image at: 12/18/03 6:20 am

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Re: Given the upsurge in writing and Kelne's mind control...

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:51 am

I like it. I like it alot. Dropped spriting to read this- That should tell you how much I liked it. Continue, or I'll never make you sprites again >:| <p>

<div style="text-align:center">
Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Two heroes, two villains and a catboy...Life doesn't get much better than this....</div></p>

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:25 am

Wonderful sums things up about as well as I can. More. <p>"80% of my so-called friends would happily push me in front of a bus. Of course, the next time I saw them, I'd be driving the bus." - David McPhale, as Rob Muldoon</p>

Vampire Jester Jinx

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:46 pm

*claps!* more more! you know i like it! n_n i miss rping this group together. <p>
"Oh the funky horror!" ~ Happy Noodle Boy
</div></p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:58 am

They walk together down the lamplit streets. Fiore's hand rests in Choko's, all but swallowed in the giantess' palm. The street is not very crowded. The nearest person is block away; they all but have it to themselves.

It feels so good; Choko couldn't bottle up the feeling of contentment with her. Walking down a lamplit street, with someone like Fiore at her side. It feels so...normal. It was all too rare, feeling normal.

"You might like Gabriel," he says while walking along, "It's quite a bit like Therney, actually. Not a great deal of magic; mages are quite rare in that world. It's recovering from a recent war, but the people are rather friendly. Only humans and a few nekojin nomads, really. Mostly farmland, as well.Really quite a pleasant place; especially during the summer when all the irises are in bloom. In the cities, though, it does get busier. I suppose it's best to compare it to Doma City. Not quite accurate, though, no outworlders and the mages aren't nearly so common."

The giantess nods and listens. She can hear a babble of voices ahead, and tries hard to put it from her thoughts. Fiore continues on. "Still, it was a rather exciting place. You could find any number of artists or scholars there, always talking about or working on something new." He glances up at her, a concerned look on his face. "Are you okay, Choko?"

"Huh?" she asks, "I'm fine. Why?" Trying not to meet his eyes, she looks ahead. Lanterns are strung up between two storefronts; higher than Choko can reach. A number of booths line the streets, but their canvas tops keeping the giantess from getting an easy view of what's going on inside them. Dozens of people crowd around them, filling the streets enough to make passing through hard. Already, a couple were staring at her. They'll start whispering things soon. It wouldn't be long before they start muttering 'freak' and 'mage's accident'

"You just look out of sorts a little," Fiore says, the concern not leaving his face.

"Well," Choko sighs, and glances back to Fiore. "Maybe this isn't such a good idea. It's getting pretty crowded up ahead."

"Oh, nonsense," says Fiore, trying to sound encouraging. "We've been looking forward to this since the innkeeper mentioned there was a festival. I know you're a bit nervous, but don't worry. People are going to be a little curious; but so was I when we first met. Just be yourself and they won't give you any real trouble."

For a moment, Choko opens her month to protest. It's not that easy. Even in Doma City, people would stare and whisper things. Here, were people are weren't used to people who weren't normal; weren't human. She was human, of course. You didn't have both for parents without being one. She was just different, that's all. But others didn't know that, and always made assumptions...

Fiore slows to a stop. "Well, if you really don't want to go, I guess we can go somewhere else. A pity, though. I was rather looking forward to it."

"Well, I guess we can try," Choko says. After everything he's done, giving him this couldn't be that bad. Hopefully. Maybe he was right? Maybe they wouldn't make such a big deal out of it. So what if she was big? There were weirder things out there, right?

"That's the spirit, Choko," says Fiore, giving her a grin. It was so full of confidence, that grin. If only she could be that confident all the time. "Let's find something to eat. Then maybe a game or two?"

She could smell all kinds of meat in the air, sizzling on braziers. The odors of warm sugar and fresh bread mingle with it, making her mouth water just a bit. Everything smells so good; a little something would be nice. Maybe things wouldn't be so bad after all. It would be nice to have a meal alone with Fiore, without listening to Vel and Miranda squabble or Ryoko going on about indecent things she wants to do with Jaeko involving fruit. "Something to eat would be good about now," she says, "We're not alone often enough, are we?"

People were definately looking now, as she and Fiore walk under the laterns spanning the street. She could feel heat slowly creeing up her cheeks. At least they weren't staring for long. Maybe they'd stop if she wasn't holding his hand in public? It must look pretty odd; the only one her size that seems to be on Gaera holding hands with an elf of all things. But it felt so nice, and it'd hurt Fiore's feelings to just stop for no reason.

"That one doesn't look too crowded," Fiore says at he points to a stand wedged between two booth selling various knick-knacks. The sign hanging off the stand's canvas top reads "Cymric's". Meat sizzles under the canopy; Choko can smell sausage on the giddle. There is no line at the counter, allowing to Fiore walk up to it. Choko kneels down beside him, and sees the sandy-haired vendor looking at her with wide eyes, his mouth hanging open a bit. Choko feels heat rush through her face, as she struggles to say something that doesn't sound dimwitted.

"How much for some of your sandwiches?" Fiore asks, breaking the silence at the booth, "We're a bit hungry."

'Oh, uh..." Stammers the man, shaking his head then looking at Fiore. "Yeah! Five gil for a sausage sandwich. Good price, isn't it?"

"I'll have one, then," Fiore says with a grin, reaching into his coat pockets, "They smell divine."

"Thank you, sir," says the Vendor, hastening to scoop a length of sausage from the griddle and lay it across a bun. Choko almost sighs out loud in relief. Praised be for Fiore. It wouldn't have ended well without him, it just wouldn't.

The Vendor looks at Choko, and tries to force a smile. "And you, Miss?" he asks, "What would you like?" It's clear he has something on his mind he wants to say.

"Five of the same," she says softly, feeling a bit embarassed. Food always drove home how different she was.

"Gotcha, coming right up," says the sandy-haired man. He sounds a bit happier now; people selling food usually were after she ordered. He busies himself putting the sandwiches together. Choko shifts her weight a bit, resting back on her heels a little more. Fiore leans on the counter; making Choko a bit envious. It would break if she put a fraction of her weight on it.

As he puts together the sandwiches, Choko catches the vendor trying to glance at her from the the corner of his eyes. At least his jaw's not hanging open any more. "Hey, ah, Miss?" He says after a moment, as he reaches for more bread.

"Yeah?" she asks, readying herself. It always got hard when they asked questions.

"Sorry for, uh, earlier," He looks at her and smiles nervously, "Didn't mean to stare and all. Well, didn't mean anything by it, you know. Just, well...never saw one quite as, well, tall as you."

More polite than some, at least. "Don't worry about it too much," she says, trying not to let how sick she was of this bleed into her voice. "I get it all the time." Choko swears she could hear coins clinking behind her. She tries not to let her annoyance show: couldn't these people find something else to gamble over?

"I see, I see," says the Vendor, returning to work. "Something to be expected, I guess. Not that you should, mind you! Just, uhh..."

Fiore waves his hand, motioning for the man to stop. "Just let it drop. That's best for everyone." Choko nods a bit, trying not to look more embarassed. Ths was such a disaster; she just wanted to go and hide for the night and slink away tomorrow. From the right, she swears someone half-whipsers 'freak'.

"Right, right," says the vendor as he starts wrapping the sandwiches. "That'll be thirty gil, sir."

Producing the coins, Fiore pays off the vendor and takes the food in hand. "Let's find someplace a bit more quiet to have these, shall we?"

"Yeah, I just want get outta here," Choko mutters, as she stands up. <p>------------------
Greetings, large black person. Let us not forget to form a team up together and go into the country to inflict the pain of our karate feets on some ass of the giant lizard person.
</p>

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:57 am

I likes it, I does. I really feel for that enormously tall freak :(

Great writing, Pervy. Keep it up, or it gets the hose again e_e <p>

Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Two heroes, two villains and a catboy...Life doesn't get much better than this....</div></p>

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:22 am

I admit to not reading it all yet - but what I have read I likes, truly. Good job there Pervy - though I had no doubt you would write well. I miss randomally bothering that group of people. Alas - when will I have enough free time again?

SALSAlys

I vote shibtastic.

Unread postby SALSAlys » Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:32 pm

Mine unkie shall write more. 'Tis spiffy reading, and makes me long for RPing again. And Ryoko saying more things about mangoes. =/

*huggles*

Oh, and typoed on the thing about meat on the griddle. You wrote 'giddle'. Now unless it's a Therny thing... >=P

Uncle Pervy

Re: I vote shibtastic.

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:42 am

Fiore leads Choko through a few alleys, hardly comfortable but at least they are left alone. Soon, they come to side street ending in an humble-looking cul-de-sac. A few lanterns shed their light, but no one seems to be there. No one has set up any booths, nor are there any festival-goers.

"This should be nice enough for now," Fiore notes, looking around. Then he looks up to Choko and asks, "Feeling a little better now?"

"Yeah," Choko says with a sigh. Looking around, she sees a spot that looks clean enough to sit down. She does so, leaning against the side of a building. "I'm sorry about that, Fiore."

"Don't worry, I understand completely," He says, sitting down next to her. Opening the bag, he pulls out a paper-wrapped sandwich and hands it to Choko. As she unwraps it, Fiore adds, "I suspect I'll be much the same when we go somewhere where my kind aren't really welcome."

"Where would you not be welcome?" Choko asks before biting into the sandwich, leaving less than half of it between her fingers.

"Some parts of Riva, most likely," Says Fiore as he pulls out his own meal. "Some of the western and middle parts don't take well to non-humans. Aftermath of the dragoon wars there, I expect."

"Oh," Choko says. As she finishes off the sandwich, she thinks back to what her parents told her about Riva. They had lived there all their lives until about twenty years ago, when circumstances in Narshe forced them to come to Doma. She was born there, but every memory she has centers in Doma. Once in awhile, Mr Agurio would call the Craulnobers 'those Rivans down the way'. as she thinks back, but it never really felt like was them he was talking about.

"So where shall we go from here?" Fiore asks, "Want to head back? Or shall we brave the festival again?"

"I don't know," says Choko, shaking her head as she unwraps another sandwich. "I don't know what we should do."

"Well, if you want to go back," Fiore says, "I think we can keep away from the main street for awhile. I don't expect that the crowd will thin, but...well, people will get a bit more used to you being around. It shouldn't be quite so crowded in the sidestreets, in any event."

"Maybe," Says Choko, not really looking at Fiore. Instead, she focuses on the cobblestones at her feet. "I don't want to make any more scenes."

"Well, we could just stay here," he says. "I'm perfectly content to be here with you. If nothing else, it would make an amusing story to tell. 'How we spent a lovely evening together in an alley'. I'm certain Cerene would buy that."

Choko laughs a bit despite herself, then sets about finishing her meal. Maybe it wasn't so bad out there. The guy was just curious, right? Maybe a bit frightened. It was understandable, in the end. But making such a scene over it all? Maybe being somewhere less crowded would help. People tend to think more when they aren't in crowds, after all. "I guess we can look around a bit." She says .

"Are you sure?" asks Fiore, "You aren't obligated by any means."

"I know," says Choko with a sigh, "But I have to learn to get over this, I guess. It's just...well...worse here. Everything's so normal. People aren't used to me like back home, or used to weird stuff like in Doma City."

Fiore scoots over toward the giantess, slipping under her arm and resting against her side. Gently, she wraps her arm around him, smiling slightly at the feeling of his warm weight on her. "You're nowhere near as bad as some people roaming Doma," he says. "Trust me. I've seen those convinced that they much be near divine becuase their father was an incubus. That's why I love you, Choko. You're sane. You don't let what you are physically define you. You don't demand any special treatement besides what you need. You don't think being a giantess makes you better than everone else. You have no idea how rare that is. I've been through a score of worlds, and seen that kind of humility only a handful of times."

For a moment, Choko doesn't know what to say. Then she shifts over a little, away from Fiore, and leans down. Resting on her hand, she closes her eyes and lightly brushes her lips on his cheek. Sitting up again, she says, "That was the sweetest thing you've said to me, ever. Thank you, Fiore." Then she stands, her prior embarassment receding away a bit. Trust Fiore to say just the right thing, when it was most needed.

"T-that's the spirit, Choko," says Fiore, as he stands up as well, grinning. Choko matches his grin as she offers him her hand. He didn't expect it. Thinking about it, Choko realizes that she didn't either. Her first kiss, given on a whim. Ryoko would be proud. Still, it wasn't so bad; nothing like what Ryoko tries to do to Jaeko. It felt right. That's what matters. It feels just as right as she and Fiore walk toward the insection together, and toward the festival again. <p>------------------
</p>

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:24 pm

<_< Hm... a good intro to the 2nd Gen events so far. At least those involving this group of characters. Me likies. ^_^ <p>

"Strenghten your lyre and sing
The hymn of death
The sky opens to us
They fly to the ray"

-Cante per me, Kajiura Yuki</p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:36 am

The roads nearby are much less crowded than the main street. Choko can't help but feel a little relieved at that. People still look at them, and whisper things. She still hears the annoying clinking of coins. But, it's not coming from every direction at once like before. She doesn't feel like the center of constant attention. People look, but most look away after a couple moments. There aren't dozens of people watching every moment, just some here and there.

There aren't many booths along the streets. Choko guesses that they must be late-comers, or they couldn't afford to rent space where all the real crowds are. Here and there, people sell food and drinks. Some of the smells are rather tempting, but the sandwiches still left over are more than enough to curb her appetite. Instead, she looks at the other booths. Some were shops, selling trinkets and little things. Other booths hosted games; mostly tests of skill as far as Choko could see.

"So, um, shall we find a game, then?" Fiore asks.

The giantess can't help but smile a little bit. Fiore is so cute when he gets caught off guard by something. "Lead the way, Fiore. I know you'll find something good."

Nodding, he leads the way through the sparse crowd. Keeping pace, Choko looks around for a game that she might be able to play. The selection is not good. The Dart toss wouldn't work; there's no way she could throw them properly. That archery booth over there isn't worth a second thought. The Ring toss by the corner there, it might be doable...

"Oh dear gods," Fiore mutters. Looking down, she sees his face twisted in disgust, as he resolutely looks toward the ground.

"What's the matter," she asks, putting her hand on his shoulder. Then she hears a distinctive splat noise to the right. Looking over, Choko sighs as she sees what Fiore refuses to look at: an egg toss game. "Don't worry, we're not going to stop there," she says, "Just keep walking." Privately, she can't help but wonder if he's not being a little too sensative about it. Then again, it's too easy to forget Fiore isn't really an elf sometimes. She almost never sees him take his actual shape, that of a phoenix. It's hard not to think of him as an elf who sometimes takes a bird shape, rather than the other way around.

Then things like this come up. Fiore told her long ago that he couldn't stand the thought of eating eggs. He always thought of the baby birds, and felt like a cannibal. it doesn't make sense though. The eggs are never fertile, so its really not hurting anything. But still he won't touch them. So seeing them broken in a festival game...

"Try not to think about it," Choko says softly, as she tries to slip herself in his line of sight.

"I know," he mutters, staring at the ground. "It's just...ugh...I can't stand it! The smell alone!"

This isn't going to end well, she decides, if they don't get away from there soon. She urges him to walk forward, and looks for a sidestreet to take them away. Sighting one not far from there, she makes a beeline for it.

"Miss!" comes a voice from Choko's side, "Miss! You see a woman of taste, yes!" Looking over, Choko sees a smallish man, hardly level with her uper leg let alone her hips like most people. He's dressed in loose clothing, and pulls a small cart behind him. In that cart, the giantess can see a number of little trinkets lining the sides. The man looks up at hee with a grin, and continues, "How are you today, miss? It is a lovely festival, isn't it?"

"Yeah, it is. And I'm doing fine," Choko answers, trying not to sound a bit nervous. This merchant doesn't see too put off by her size; or he's good at hiding it. "I'm in a bit of a hurry, you see, so..."

"Oh, this will take no time at all," says the merchant, giving her grin. "And what is time at a festival, in any case? Now is the time to enjoy your time, I say!"

"True," Choko says, as she walks along.

The Merchant keeps pace with her. "So, surely it wouldn't hurt you to have a moment to look at my wares, am I right? We are friends, are we not?"

"Rather strong choice of words for someone you just met on the street, isn't it?" Fiore says, his voice conversational.

"Now now," says the Merchant, waggling a finger at Fiore. Then he looks up at Choko and says, "We met once before in Doma. The Jade Dragon inn, in fact, where you served the most wonderful rabbit and wild rice dish. Really, it was quite exquisite. But, I suppose you wouldn't recall me, would you, my lady?"

She looks at the man, scruntizing his face for a moment. Blonde-haired and goateed, he wasn't especially handsome or really ugly. His was a plain face, a forgettable one. Forgettable enough that he didn't look familiar at all. But during her time at the Jade Dragon, she had cooked for and served hundreds of people. Even among the folk she had catered to there, it was easy to forget a face that she didn't see all the time. "Sorry," says the giantess, shaking her head, "Can't say I do."

"That's alright," he says, waving a hand dismissively while pulling his cart with the other, "I'm a hard one to remember sometimes. And I wander about to where I can make the best sales. So here I am in Gwrton. Now, have I anything here to interest you, yes?"

They stop after rounding a corner, taking Fiore from sight of the eggtoss game. Glancing over, Choko can see he is relaxing a bit. Relieved, she turns her eyes to the merchant's cart and kneels down to have a look at the wares. Hard candies, wooden swords, noisemakers, and stuffed animals make up the most of his wares, lining the shelves inside his cart. Here and there, she can see a bit of jewelry, a few hand lamps, and some carved toys hiding among the wares. Some interesting things here and there, but nothing she can really use. Not that surprising, few people had wares for people her size.

"Hmm, let me see that necklace," Fiore says, pointing to a small pendant, "On the third shelf there, by the copper bracelet." Leaning in a bit, Choko can see that the pendant has a bluish green stone, shaped like a rectangle, set in silver. The chain is sized for a normal person, she notes, feeling a bit of hope die away.

"That piece to your liking, sir?" says the merchant, a ghost of a smile dancing around his lips.

"What sort of stone is this?" asks Fiore, as he runs his fingers over the etchings.

"Zircon," says the merchant, "Like diamond, but nowhere near as hard. Probably the best I have on hand, though. Don't carry emeralds and such, after all. Too pricey to move on the road. I'll let it go for seventy-five gil."

"Fair enough, I'll have it." Fiore says, digging it his pocket, "And those two cheap silver ones there with it."

"We'll call it an even ninety then," Says the merchant, as Fiore reaches into his coat pockets and pulls out the needed money. Choko can't help but wonder how much he has, and where he gets it all from. Probably rewards from all the traveling and adventuring he's done over the years. Or maybe his dad gives him an allowance.

Mentally noting to ask him about that later, she stands as Fiore and the merchant conclude their business. "A pleasure, sir and madam," says the merchant as he pulls the cart away, seeking new customers. Fiore devotes himself to unclapsing the pendant chains, as he starts to wander down the streets.

"So what are you going to do with those?" Choko asks, "Ishmas gifts for Cerene, Keros, and Leothe?"

"While a nice thought," Leothe says, as he fiddles with something the Giantess can't quiet see from her vantage point. "And while I'm certain a retired mercenary would truly like a gemstone pendant, I fairly sure I know someone who could do it a a fair deal more justice." He then holds up the pendant to her, and says, "The blue parts of it match your eyes well." Choko smiles as she notes that the chain hanging from it seems a lot longer than before; and that the other pendands seem to have vanished. "Hope you don't mind that the chains don't match quite properly," he adds.

She takes it from him, letting the fragile chain dangle from her fingers. She could see the links weren't quite perfect matches, but that hardly mattered. The stone itself was beautiful, it's smooth shape and precise captivating her. She isn't quite sure what makes a zircon different than any other pretty blue stone, never having the chance to learn much about jewels, but it is a lovely stone. More importantly, it was from Fiore. "It's beautiful," she says, as she slips it over her head. Thankfully the chain has enough slack that she doesn't have to try to open the tiny clasps with her large fingers.

"It's beautiful because you're wearing it," says Fiore, taking her hand again. "Otherwise, it's like an arrow without a bow to fire it; perhaps well made, but ultimately worthless."

Choko is quiet for a moment, not knowing exactly what to say to that. "Thank you," She says at last, not able to find any words to mirror his own. "Thank you for makng this go by some much easier, for making me feel better." She searches again for the right words, and can't find them. So, she lets her hand rest on his shoulder and gently squeezes it. "Thank you," she says again.

"It's my pleasure," he says, putting his hand over her's and gently running his fingers over it. Choko doesn't say anything, just enjoying the moment. Going to this festival was a good idea after all.

"Aaaaaagh!" comes the high-pitched voice of a young woman from down the street.

"Gods dammit it! Just shut up already!" answers an masculine voice with a medium pitch.

Looking at Fiore, Choko sees that his face is clouded with confusion similar to what she feels. "Was that Veldrin?" She asks after a moment of silence.

"And Miranda?" adds the Phoenix. <p>------------------
</p>

SALSAlys

Unread postby SALSAlys » Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:58 pm

WRITE MORE SO WE CAN SEE WHAT HAPPENS! eVe

Introducing fun funky stuff, though. =D I like the dialogue, and.... not much I can really critique at the moment. Mayhap at a later date, but seems good.

Vampire Jester Jinx

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:50 pm

e.e more! RAAAAAWR. n.n and sweet niftiness. <p>
Happy Halloween, you bastards!
</div></p>

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:10 pm

Very good indeed. More. >: <p>

Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Why Barius has no family reunions.</div></p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:31 am

It doesn't take Choko and Fiore long to find the source of squabbling. A few passersby watch from a distance as a young blonde girl with gray wings tears at her hair. A half-drow stands nearby, looking toward the ground and swearing; occasionally he spares a glare toward the spectators. In front of them is an archery booth, whose keeper; a dark-haired man in colorful clothing; wears a look of long suffering patience.

"I'll get it this time, for the storm's sake!" Miranda says, gripping the bow she's holding and taking an arrow in hand.

"Fine," says Veldrin, "Whatever. Just don't shout in my ear again." He shrugs and leans back against the booth. "It's not my fault you suck at this."

"Shut up!" Miranda says tersely, as she nocks the arrow and aims, gritting her teeth as a couple people chuckle at Veldrin's comment.

"Can't leave 'em alone for a minute, sometimes," Choko says softly, shaking her head.

"Oh, we can," Fiore answers lightly as he continues toward the booth, "We just have to deal with the property damage later."

As they approach, Miranda lets the arrow fly, aiming at the smallest target there. Choko counts a half dozen arrows buried in the wooden wall that the colorful targets hang from. As she watches, Miranda lets the seventh arrow fly and join its six brethern. "Gryzechska!" Miranda shouts, hurling the bow at the ground. "Stupid frickin' target! Argh!"

"Settle down, Mir," Choko says, wincing at the obvious anger in her friend's words. "What's gotten into you?" The giantess can't help but glance at the dozen or so people watching them, feeling a bit nervous. Most of them seem to be looking at Miranda, though, as she breathes heavily and tries to regain her composure.

"Said she'd beat me at the targets," Vel says. "And it looks like archery isn't her thing. Not really mine either, but..." He shrugs to emphasize his confusion.

"Miranda?" Fiore asks, walking beside her. "Is everything alright?"

"Stupid target," the blonde-haired girl mutters. "I can hit it! I'm gonna hit it!"

Choko kneels down by Miranda, and says, "Want some help? Fiore could give you a few pointers."

"I'll get it myself," says Miranda, grumbling. She picks up the bow and looks at the man running the booth. "Gimme some more arrows, I'll get it this time."

Wordlessly, but with a look of quiet patience, the man behind the counter produces three more arrows for Miranda, taking the coin she places on the counter. She nocks the arrow, and aims again. "Hold it," Fiore says.

"What?" Miranda asks, her voice holding both annoyance and curiosity.

"Turn your stance more to the left," he says. Then he puts his hands on her shoulders and pushes down a bit. "Don't bunch up so much here." Choko listens, smiling faintly, as Fiore advises the young dragonhalf. "Alright, now sight down the arrow shaft, like you were doing before. Now angle it up a bit, so it's pointed a bit above what you want to hit." As she complies, he nods. "Okay, loose when ready."

Miranda nods, then lets the arrow fly. It hits the wood, only a fraction of an inch below the target; far closer than any of the other arrows. "Just aim a bit higher now," says Fiore, as a few observers shout encouragement "You've almost got it."

"What about you two?" Veldrin asks, turning his attention to the giantess and the phoenix, "Been having fun?"

"A bit rocky here and again," Fiore says, "But hardly worth complaining about on my part. Still looking for a game we could both play right now."

Veldrin nods. Then says, "Nice necklace," while glancing at Choko. "Fiore got it for you?"

"Thank you," Choko says, happy that Veldrin noticed, "He bought it from a peddler we just met from home. Now, what have you and Miranda being doing?"

"I don't like what you're implying..." says the halfdrow, as he cross his arms. His eyes may have narrowed a bit as well, Choko isn't sure.

Fiore chuckles. "Certain she was actually implying anything?" he says.

"Just afraid of having a good time, I'll bet," Choko answers, grinning. Maybe it was mean, but teasing Vel once in awhile was fun. He needed it every now and again to make sure he wasn't too full of himself.

"Think what you want then," Veldrin says with a shrug. "I'm just making sure Miranda doesn't get into trouble again. You know...with that assassin and all."

Choko sighed. Why'd Vel have to bring that up now of all times? Couldn't they just enjoy themelves once without thinking about what might happen if they weren't careful all the time? Was that too much to ask for? Choko's shoulder begin to ache a little, forcing her to restrain a groan. Stupid arrow, she mulls as she reaches and massages the aching part of her shoulder a little. Maybe Vel is right, the assassin that shot her with this arrow did come out of pretty much nowhere, it seemed like. There was a chance another might come; who knew how many of them Enachi might have hired?

"Got it!" Miranda shouts suddenly. The people around them applaud and cheer as she starts pumping a fist into the air and jumping with enthusiasm "Got it! Got it! Got it! Got it! In your face, Vel! I told you I could do it!"

"...Very well done, Miranda," Fiore says, trying to take a calming tone as he puts a hand on her shoulder to steady her.

"Alright then. If she can do it, I certainly can." He uncrosses his arms and holds out a hand toward Miranda. "Give me that bow, I'll get two of them in."

'"Yeah right," Miranda says as she tosses him the bow, "That's what you said the first four times. You're just jealous because I can do it."

"Need something worth being jealous over," Veldrin says nonchalantly, as he gives the man in the both a coin.

Walking back to Choko, Fiore motions for her to bend down closer to him. "Let's move on before they get us drawn into this any further, shall we?" he says as she kneels down.

"Yeah, let's get outta here" she says back softly, before standing. Then she looks to Miranda and Veldrin and says, "We'll be going now."

"Fine, have fun," Veldrin says, as he draws back the bow and takes aim. Taking a glance toward the two, Choko sees that Miranda is too busy chuckling to herself to say anything. Allowing herself a shrug, the giantess continues on down the street.

"How do you think they'll do?" she says after a moment, glancing to the man at her side.

"I think they'll be just fine." Fiore says, a moment before Veldrin curses loudly, a sound only rivaled by a sharp laugh from Miranda. Glance back, he adds, "Or they may kill themselves or each other. A good of a sign as any to put some distance between us before the guards arrive."

<p>------------------
</p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:22 am

(May rewrite this bit, not extremely pleased with it yet.)

It is not long before the music of lutes and horns comes to Choko's ears. Smiling, she glances down to Fiore and says, "Feel like a dance?"

"I would be delighted, but I'm not all that familiar with the local specialities," Fiore says with an embarassed grin.

"Neither am I," Choko says, "But I bet we can fake it. C'mon, I think it's this way"

Taking the lead, the giantess lets her ears lead her toward the music. The streets around them are growing more crowded, while more booths and stands line the walls roadside, the babble of voices getting. The giantess has to mutter apologies every few moments as she jostles into one fest-goer or another while trying to make her way down the street. She feels everyone's eyes on her, but she tries not to pay it any mind. They have other things to deal with, more important things to think about.

"Hey, slow down!" Fiore calls out from behind.

Looking back, Choko sees that she's almost dragging him along, literally. Slowing down, she mutters, "Sorry, sorry...I didn't mean to run off with you like that."

"Let's stop for a moment, okay?" Fiore suggests, then motions to the edge of the street. "There's a bench over there, let's just sit down for a bit, okay?"

"Fine, I suppose," Choko sighs, and lets Fiore lead her to the bench. Given it is wrought from iron, Choko doesn't doubt the bench can easily hold her weight. She sits down, going low enough to leave her knees level with her chest. Smoothing her skirt, she then rests her arms on her knees. "I'm sorry about that, Fiore."

"Don't worry, you were just in a little hurry," Fiore says, as he sits next to her.

"It's the crowd," she says. "I just wanna get away."

"Just like last time, I know," Fiore says, moving closer to the giantess and wrapping an arm around her. "You don't have to explain it. That's why we're sitting here. Just watch the crowd until you feel a bit better."

"For a little while, I guess," Choko says, gently putting her arm around Fiore. It's not too bad here. Too many people, but at least they aren't all looking now. Some are, here and there. But they aren't staring too much. It's not that bad, people are going to be curious. A lot of them probably already heard about it, if they are anything like the innkeeper.

"Daddy, how'd that lady get so big?" comes the voice of a young boy to the left.

Glancing that way, Choko can see the speaker, a child no more than five years old whose father seems very embarassed. Straining her ears, she can just make out his reply as he leads the child away: "I'm not sure, son. Probably some sort of accident. No need to bother her about it."

"Dunno which is worse," Choko says to herself.

"What is worse?" Fiore asks.

"Nothing," says the giantess, sitting up a bit more in her seat.

"Hi, Miss Lady," comes a voice from Choko's side. Looking down, she sees another child, this one a blue-haired little girl no more than eight years old. Dressed in what has to be her chapel day best, she holds onto the bench's arm and looks up at Choko curiously. "Whacha doin'?"

"Just sitting here," the giantess answers, trying to keep her voice soft. Where did this kid come from, and why is she here? "What about you?"

"Just lookin'," says the child. Then she ponders for a moment and adds. "Are you Mommy's mommy?"

"Huh?" What brought this kid to that conclusion, of all things?

"Who're you talking to Choko?" Fiore asks, as he leans forward to peek around her.

The girl wanders to the front of the bench, still looking at Choko, and says in a perfectly frank voice, "My mommy's much bigger than me. That's why she's mommy. But you're even more bigger than mommy than she is of me. So you're Mommy's mommy."

"Congratulations, Choko," Fiore says through a chuckle, "You're Gaera's youngest grandmother, now."

"Oh be quiet," answers the giantess, giving Fiore a look and a grin. Then she starts as she feels a touch on her legs, and looks down to see the little girl is crawling into her lap! What in the world is she thinking? Her mother is going to have a fit!

Not knowing what else to do, Choko puts her hands around the girl's waist, holding her steady like a baby. "Do you yell at mommy when she gets flour all over the floor?" she asks.

"I'm not really your mom's mom," says Choko, "Otherwise, I'd end up being everyone's grandma. And that'd just be weird, right?"

"I guess so," The little girl says. "My name's Celia and I'm six."

Pondering where Celia's parents are, the giantess says, "I'm Choko. So, having fun so far Celia?"

"Mommy took me to listen to the bards and have chicken! They sang about the red robed mage and the crystals of Gaera! It was pretty: there were moogles and angels and lizardmen in it, and they were the good guys!" Choko grins as the child carries on. "They had to fight a mage made of shadows who wanted to destroy everything because his soul was broken. So they got the crystals, while the red robed mage tried to stop the shadow mage and couldn't because he wasn't strong enough because the crystals were part of him because the angel was trying to help him because he used to be a bad man."

"Interesting way to sum it all up," Fiore says. "I've heard the story myself. It is a good one, though a tad more to Cerene's tastes, I think."

"Mr Elf, why are you laying on Misses Choko like that?" Celia asks. Feeling her cheeks redden a little, Choko looks around to make sure no one heard that. Luckily, it seems those who are watching don't look like they heard it. At least there isn't any trading off coins.

"More leaning against than laying on, I think," Fiore says, "But to answer that, I like being near Choko. While admittedly I'm biased, it's rather pleasant."

Blushing still, now from the compliment, Choko finds herself unable to come up with a reply as well worded. "Hey Choko!" calls out a familiar feminine voice. Looking down the street, she sees a blue-skinned woman with feline paws and ears making a beeline for the bench.

"Over here, Pure!" Choko calls out.

"Who's Pure?" Celia asks, craning her head up to look at Choko without changing position.

Working her way through the crowd, the brightly dressed nekojin-half looks at Celia with a bit of confusion, then says, "Heya Choko, where'd you find the kid? You and Fiore look really cute with her; just like a family."

"Celia!" calls a woman, a dark-haired woman whose age is hard to place, but has clearly seen her share of years. Wearing plain clothing, she walks past Pure. "Celia! There you are! I was afraid I lost you forever!"

"I just came to visit Misses Choko, mommy," the little girl says. "She let me sit on her lap and tell her about the mage made of shadows, just like the bard told me!"

"She just kinda came to us, ma'am," Choko says. "I kinda didn't want to send her off or anything, so..." The woman looks at Choko, and her eyes winden just a bit, looking as though she were really noticing the giantess for the first time.

"Celia wasn't a burden, I hope?" She says, trying to smile. Sensing it may be for the best, Choko lifts the child up and puts her gently on the ground near the woman. It does seem to help the woman relax a little, as she continues, "She just slipped away while I was talking to a peddler, about half an hour ago."

"I offered to help," says Pure with a nod. "She looked really distressed, so I asked what was wrong."

"Miss Devilmen's been helping me, yes," says the woman, "I was about to have a fit. Thank you for watching Celia and making sure she didn't get hurt, Miss...?"

"I wasn't hurt," Celia says. "Miss Choko was nice. And she has a nice lap, because I can lay down without falling off."

"Choko, as your little girl said," answers the giantess, trying to hide her embarassment. She watched Celia all of two minutes, that's not worth making mush of a fuss about.

"Well thank you Miss Choko," says Celia's mother. "I'm afriad to be rude, but we have to go find her father now so we can go have supper. Knowing him, he's probably at one of the ale stands." She picks up Celia, and says to the child, "Now say Goodbye, honey."

"Bye Miss Choko!" Celia says as her mother walks away with her, having with a little hand.

The Giantess returns the gesture. Fiore shakes his head and says, "Reminds me of Cerene when we were that age. She would run off at the slightest notion. Keros was different, though. Instead of running off, he wouldn't notice we were leaving, and we would have to come back for him and drag him off."

"So what're you guys doing?" Pure asks, "Besides sitting and being cute together?"

"We were gonna go dance," Choko says, "But...um..."

"We really don't know how," Fiore says. "Not quite our forte. So, we were trying to figure out just what to do when Celia came along and..."

"I'll teach you," Pure says. "It's really easy; you'll have fun, too." She shakes a paws, "Now come on, time's wasting." <p>------------------
</p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:52 am

Taking Choko by the hand, Pure leads her through the crowds and toward a pavillion. The giantess finds she is almost amused by this: it is the closest that she has come to being drug somewhere in years. Fiore follows in the wake that they leave in the crowds.

Soon, they come to the the main square of town. Soft light from hundreds of lanterns; their glass hued in greens, blues, and reds; bathe the cobblestones in a variety of soft colors. Lutes, fiddles, and other instruments Choko can't begin to name fill the air with lively music. Fast-paced and lively, Choko smiles as she thinks back to similiar songs that were played at the festivals back home. A pavillion lies at the center of the sqaure, encircled by the road. At the center of the pavilion are the musicians, playing away furiously at their instruments.

Literally hundreds of people dance to the music, filling the square with a riot of motion. Keeping track of any one pair in it is almost impossible, while trying to watch everyone is beyond what anyone's eyes can do. Even with her high vantage point, Choko can't watch it all. Along the edges of the pavillion and the road, dozens if not hundreds more people mill about, either passing through, listening to the music, or watching the dancers. The noise of talk and laughter almost, but not quite, manage to rival the dominance that the song holds over the square.

"Isn't this great?" Pure says, her tail swaying in time with the beat and occasionally tapping the giantess on her shins.

"The music's nice," Choko says. It was also nice that most of the people were too preoccupied with dancing to really pay her much mind. There were still some stares, but they usually don't linger.

"Very lively here," Fiore says while looking around. "I don't imagine the crowd will be too willing to bite."

Pure looks at them. "You two gonna go dance, then?"

"I don't really know how," Choko says. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea. It's pretty crowded, and someone could get hurt. Looking back, she couldn't help but wonder what she was thinking earlier. Watching them a bit more closely, it looked like they're trying some kind courtly dance. Well, it seems courtly, with partners trying to do different things.

"I'm not quite sure I quite recognize the dance, myself," Says Fiore as he looks over the pavillion.

Pure snorts, shaking her her head. "You two are impossible!" She starts making some shooing motions with her paws. "Just go out there and have fun! Go on! It's not a hard dance to pick up!"

I don't wanna go out there, Choko's thoughts race. The last thing I need to do is make an even bigger fool of myself! For Ishtar's sake, I'd probably step on someone by accident... "Can you show us how to do it?" the giantess says.

"Well..." Says Pure, drawing the word out as she rubs her chin, "I guess I could...But, it'll cost you."

"Cost what?" Choko asks. It wasn't often Pure wanted for something in return for a favor. She had shared a room in Doma with Pure long enough to know when she was up to something.

"I'll figure it out later," Pure says with a grin. "Anyways, just move your feet in time to the music." She looks at them both, appraising them "Let's see... Choko's gonna hafta lead. Let's get out there, and I'll show you guys the basic steps."

"That spot away from the gazebo should suffice," Fiore says, as he descends onto the Pavillion. "We'll have a fair amount of room." Choko says nothing, as she follows the phoenix and the nekojin half along the outer edge of the pavillion and keeping out of the dancers' way. The railing along the street above is hardly level with the giantess' chest, affording her a rare view of the road on the eye level of a normal person.

The crowds here are all from the lower class. None of them have the laced-covered or brocaded clothing of the nobility, wearing simple garments of cotton and homespun. Certainly few of them act like nobles; the amount of profanity involving cattle from one particular passerby proves that point. Noticing a busy stand selling roast chicken, Choko suddenly recalls that she left the sandwiches that Fiore had bought earlier on that bench.

Before she can mentally kick herself for the oversight, Fiore speaks up. "This should do nicely for a spot."

There aren't too many dancers here, leaving the three a fair amount of room. A few glance toward the giantess, but most of them seem too busy with their partners to her much mind. She suspects they did their gawking from afar. It could be worse she decides.

"Okay," Pure says, "Pair up now. We'll have to improvise a little, but that's okay." Fiore approaches Choko, and holds a hand out to her. "Okay Choko, take his hand with your right. Now, put your left hand on his shoulder. Fiore, you rest your other hand on her hip, you should be able to reach it."

Choko does as she is told, letting Fiore put his hand on her hip, taking his other hand in her own. Then she rests her remaining hand on his shoulder and part of his arm as well. Neither say anything as Pure speaks, "Now, don't worry too much about the steps. That's the really important part. Just try to move with each other. Fiore, you let her lead, okay? Even if she makes a mistake, you follow it."

"Can do," Fiore says.

Pure nods. "Now, we'll just try a simple step, okay? Choko, don't worry about getting it perfect. Just try to keep moving. If you mess up, just sorta sort limp back to where you were, okay? Don't try to step back to where you were, you'll step on Fiore's foot. Just follow through, then try again when you get back to where you were, okay?"

"I think I can do that," Choko says. It was simple enough; even sounded a little like what Kilra said when she tried to teach swordplay. However, Fiore's hand on her leg is a bit distracting. It wasn't a bad thing, just a little weird. She knew he wasn't going to do anything, it's just...odd to have someone's hand there. But it was Fiore's hand, so it wasn't bad.

Pure nods again and smiles. "Don't worry, this isn't that hard. What you do is take a step forward with your right foot, then slide your left in a kind of L-shape, then bring your right to meet it. Here, watch how I do it."

The giantess watches as Pure goes through the step a few times. It's a bit hard to see from her point of view, but it doesn't look too tricky to pull off. Just a step back, a fancy slide, and bringing your feet together. Next comes doing the same thing with the other foot and moving forward. It shouldn't be too bad. Slowly, she tries to mimic it, trying to take small steps so Fiore can keep up. "Like this, Pure?"

"You got it!" Pure says, clapping enthusiastically. "You're doing great! Just keep going!"

"Not as hard to keep up with as I thought," Fiore says, looking up at Choko with a grin. "You might have more talent at this than you think."

"Stop trying to butter me up," she says back. "Just let me work on doing this right." It wasn't too hard, keeping a motions flowing. But it was supposed to be simple, she could tell. Some of the other people were doing more complex stuff. Still, doing anything at all was enough.

"If that's what you want, we'll just enjoy this," He says.

"You two are so cute," Pure says, grinning. "I'ma go find Sindal, okay? He needs to learn how to dance, too." Punctuating that with a solemn nod, she turns and works her way along the edge of the pavillion. Within moments, Choko and Fiore are alone again. <p>------------------
</p>

SALSAlys

Unread postby SALSAlys » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:53 pm

Shibby again. I absolutely love Celia and her adorable use of logic, and characterization's spiffy. ^-^

Uncle Pervy

Done godsdammit!

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:30 am

For the next hour, they dance. Fiore turns out to be more skilled than he had let on, showing Choko a few new steps here and there. She stumbles a bit occasionally, but not so badly that she accidently steps on his foot. Despite her missteps, despite the glances of people passing by, and despite occasionally brushing a bit too close to other dancers; it is the happiest time Choko has had in as long as she can remember. For a brief time, things don't seem as out of place. Life feels normal; what could be more normal than a festival dance with someone special?

Once in awhile, they catch a glimpse of Pure working her way through the pavillion, looking for Sindal. Choko ponders from time to time where the forester might be. Pure would be crushed if they didn't even get to dance. One, she swear that she sees Pure dragging Ryoko out of the pavillion. She pays this no mind; she has to be imagining things. After all, Ryoko wouldn't wear a revealing swimsuit to something this public, right? Even if she were trying to impress Jaeko, she wouldn't do that. Even Ryoko has to have some standards. Perhaps Fiore would know, but she see no need to ruin the moment by bringing it up.

After an hour, though, Fiore quietly urges Choko that it's time to go elsewhere. At first, she refuses, but the phoenix insists that he has one last surprise in store for the evening. It's hard to leave, but the giantess can't help but wonder what Fiore has planned. He leads her away from the pavillion, then away from from the main festival. They leave the crowds and the occasional sound of clinking coins behind, going through broad yet empty streets lit by the soft glow of festival lanterns. Aside from the occasional patrolman, it is as though the city were deserted.

Soon, though, the activity begins to pick up a little. A few well-dressed people can be seen milling about here and there, talking and laughing among themselves as they walk they travel the streets. They are better dressed than most of the people at the festival, some even of noble quality. Some of them may well be noblity, so far as the giantess can see. They all glance her way, and a few stares linger. But, it's not so bad when only a few look. Curious, Choko stoops down a little and quietly says, "What's going on?"

"Well, not everyone goes to the festival," Says Fiore as he walks along, his hand in Choko's. "Not every has a taste for revelling and street vendors. The nobles especially, they like to have parties in their own villas."

"We're going to visit a noble?" Choko says, a bit of worry seeping into her voice, "I'm not dressed for that! I don't really even know how to act around nobles; I don't think the ones here are like Griff with being polite..."

"We're not visiting any nobles, Choko," he says, patting her hand with his unheld one. "I'm not quite that well established, I'm afraid. We might catch one or two of them slumming, though."

"Slumming?"

"Mixing with the lower classes on a lark. Think of it like going to the poor part of Doma to see how the people there get by."

The giantess raises an eyebrow. "I don't get it."

"It's one part curiosity, I expect," Fiore says as they round a corner. Glancing down at the street sign just below her chest as they pass by, Choko notes they are on Cecile Lane. "I imagine it's seeing something different from the usual splendor that makes it interesting for them. Something like how seeing things outside of Arzas is interesting for you."

"I see," Says the giantess. "Kinda like travel, only without going so far."

"Not far in terms of distance, anyways. But in terms of surrounding and way of life, it's like visiting another town or a whole different country."

That made sense. If some common people liked ot travel and see new things, it makes sense that there are nobles who like to do it, too. And being able to do it without leaving the comfort of home would make it that much easier than real traveling. Resolving to keep that in mind for the next time she meets Griff, Choko looks around and asks, "Where are we going, anyways?"

"We're very nearly there," he says. "Have a look to down the way."

One place in particular catches the giantess' attention. It stands at the end of the street near the banks of the main river running through Gwrton, a sprawling place made of stone. A wrought iron fence runs around it, just low enough that Choko could step over it if she wanted. Past that fence are a number of tables, each covered with a fine white tablecloth. Large windows offer peeks inside, where she can see well-dressed people sitting at tbles like the ones outside. Dark green awnings hang over the windows, blending in nicely with the creeping ivy that clings to the walls here and there. At least two dozen lanterns hang from the place, bathing it in a soft glow all the way around. A humble wooden sign by the door reads 'Rosemary's Place'.

"We're going there?"

"It's quite a nice place," says Fiore. "I got us reservations earlier today, so things should be rather pleasant for us."

After unconsciously biting down on her lower lip for a moment, she says, "Are we allowed here? I don't think Thernians like the nobles and the commoners together in places like that. After all, it's one thing to go slumming, but are they going to like it when the slums come to them?"

"I hardly think we should be classified with the slums, Choko."

"You know what I mean."

"Fair enough. But I doubt that will be the case here. This restaurant caters to merchants and such, the middle class. They've been coming alone nicely since the civil wars ended, I suspect they'll cause quite a mess in the coming years, what with having money to rival the noblity but not having the bloodlines." He makes a dismissing motion with his free hand. "Hardly important to our purposes, though. For us, it means there's somewhere other than a tavern we where we can have a meal."

Reaching the doors, Fiore opens one. "After you."

The door is a bit more than seven feet high. Not quite enough to duck under. Surpressing a sigh, the giantess kneels down, and hitches up her skirt enough that she can crawl though the door without tearing the cloth. At least, she reflects, it's wide enough that I won't get stuck. After a moment, she stands again, and nearly hits her head on the ceiling. Now she does sigh, finding that she stands about two feet too tall to stand up properly. So she she has a seat near the door, smoothing over her dress as she looks around.

The inside is rather nice, if nothing else. The floors are covered with a nice carpet, a faded blue gray color. There is a desk and a sign in book at the end of the entry hall. Archways to the left and right lead to the dining rooms. Standing behind the desk, a woman in a uniform looks at Choko a bit oddly. She then smiles encouragingly. The giantess returns the gesture, feeling her face warm up with embarassment at the whole situation. "I presume you're with the Sonelle Party?" the woman asks.

"That would be us," Fiore says as he walks inside. "Do you have our table ready?"

"Yes," says the woman with a nod, as she steps around the desk. "Right this way, Sir and Madam."

The ceiling is too low for her to stand straight, but she is able to duck down and walk. While hardly dignified, it is better than crawling. Following Fiore and the waitress through the right doorway, they come ot a large dining room. Tables with white tablecloths and bouquets are spread everwhere in an orderly diagonal pattern. Booths line the wall; far too tight a fit for Choko to even think of using. A part of the dining room is raised, with a wooden wall topped by a brass rail seperating it.

She follows the waitress to the raised part of the dining room, were her eyes are quickly drawn to the windows, offering a a view of the river outside. The lights of hundereds of lanterns on the opposite bank reflect off the darkened waters. "This way, please," says the waitress, drawing Choko's attention away from window. A table catches her eye, a larger one by the window with a several pillows in place of a seat.

Placing menus on the table, the waitress says, "We'll have someone get to you very soon."

"Right then," Fiore says, as he takes the chair opposite of the pillows.

With much grace as she can, Choko rests down on the pillows; trying to make as little of a scene as possible. There were enough people looking at them all as it was. She wanted to thank Fiore for arranging someplace to sit, but it feels rather silly to say, especially here. So she takes the menu in hand, and has a look at it. After a moment of this, she quietly says, "I don't think they gave me a menu in common."

"It is in common," Fiore says, "But it's not quite easy to read, I agree. But I'll try and make sense of it for you. Basically, they like to start us off with some kind of soup. Next, usually, is some kind of salad or appetizer. The main course follows, and dessert tends to be after that."

"Never made much of a fuss about that at the Jade Dragon," says the Giantess, as she tries to puzzle out what half the names mean; something tells her that Asparagus Zambione isn't nealy as interesting as it sounds. "So, um, what's what?"

"Well...The Collique Ambrosia are saute'ed scallops," Fiore says, scanning down his menu. "Moules Mariniere' are saute'ed mussels. And Escargot Bourguignon are snails in a red wine sauce." He glances up at Choko, a grin on his face, as he reads the last one.

"Wait," Choko says, "You mean...people on Gaera eat those? I thought that was some other world you were talking about!"

"Well, I did tell you so," Says Fiore. "Hard to believe, I suppose, but true. If nothing else, look like at it like this. The chefs here have likely never eaten an opossum."

"Still don't see what's so weird about that," the Giantess says, setting the menu aside and deciding to try and translate it later. "I mean, if you aren't able to trap anything else in the winter, you're not gonna ask questions about it."

"It was likely the same for the snails. They aren't that bad, really."

"Oh be quiet and help me figure out what a poulet au champagne is."

It takes the couple a bit of time to decide what they want to order. For Choko, it's hard to guess what is worth having. Half of the food, even when explained in plain Common, don't sound all that appetizing. Others dishes, however, sound very tasty indeed. In the end, she chooses the rack of lamb. The price is atrocious, but Fiore insists that they are going to be getting it at a discount. The giantess feels a bit uneasy about it when the she puts the order in, but the phoenix insists that there is no problem with it.

Choko watches the lights on the river, while waiting on the order. There is some soft talking in the dining room, but not enough to really break the mood. It is interesting to look at all the well-dressed rich people every now and again. But the lights on the river are a lot prettier.

Soon, the soups arrive. Choko's is a simple tomato soup served in a full-sized soup bowl; Fiore's own cream soup comes in a much smaller cup. She is pleased to note they gave her a large serving spoon, which is scaled well to her size. As the two start on it, Fiore speaks up, "Hey, Choko, something I've been pondering a while, if you don't mind me asking."

"What's that?"

"Where are we going to go from here?" He takes a spoonful of the soup. "From Therney, I mean. Are we going to go back to Doma? Will we be visiting another country?"

"I'm not sure, actually," says the giantess after swallowing a little of her own soup. It was good, alright. Perhaps not good enough to charge fifteen gil, but it is very tasty. "I guess we'll have to talk with the others."

"Well...who said that they had to come with us?" Fiore grins a bit. "It could be just you and I."

That did sound rather nice. But at the same time, traveling without Pure, Ryoko, and the rest just doesn't feel right. "I'd have to think about it," says Choko after a moment. "If nothing else, we do have to go tell Dad about us someday. Don't know how pretty that's gonna be."

"I'm certain your Father won't hate me for being something other than human, Choko."

The giantess shakes her head a little. "No, he'll not like you because you're not normal. That means he isn't going to like us being together."

Fiore sighs. "You know him better than I do, I suppose. But, I think he'll understand in the end. I'll just have to try to avoid a case of head trauma from him in the meantime."

"Yeah, really," says Choko. "I've watched Dad belt Dmitri a good one every now and again, when he mouthed off too much."

Fiore nods. Choko knows that the phoenix met both her father and her brother. It should be obvious to him that much more need not be said. "So," says the Giantess, "What's your's taste like?"

"It's a tad thicker than I like," Fiore says as he lifts a spoon to his mouth. "But, the flavor is excellent. Are you sure that you don't like brocolli?"

"Hate the stuff. Mom used to make it sometimes, and I usually ended up giving most of mine to the chocobos." She chuckles a little. Those birds always did love to see her come around on brocolli day. "Mine's pretty good. They spiced it just right."

The phoenix nods, as he sips away at his soup. Having little else to say, Choko devotes herself to the her own appetizer. She hoped that Fiore never expected her to make anything like that for him. If things went her way, their garden won't even have that vile weed in it.

This leads her to wonder: where are they going to settle down? Going back home to Arzas would be nice, but that's probably too quiet for him. Maybe they could start a farm near Doma City? The land probably wouldn't be cheap, though. And, Fiore is going to get the wandering bug every now and again. But that's alright, traveling isn't so bad.

"It seems there is no way I can escape you, is there?"

That voice causes Choko's thoughts come to a sudden halt, as an uneasy feeling grows in her stomach. Dispassionate and coldly intellectual, she would recognize it anywhere. Why is he here of all places? Slowly, she turns to look behind her, where the voice originated from.

Standing there is a man in with straight black hair, his exotic almond shaped eyes and yellowish skin hinting at origins in distant Chuushima. His clothing, blue trousers and a gray tunic, are finely made but unadorned; far better quality than what he wore the last time that the giantess saw him. A gray cloak rests on his shoulders, while a sabre adorned with a few jewels rests at his hip. He stands just far enough away to encompass both Choko and Fiore in his gaze; giving them a look of distaste.

"What do you want, Enachi," Fiore says, his voice low and dangerous.

"I ask you the same, elemental," Enachi says. "It seems everywhere I go, I find one of your little party there. Watching me, following me, working with those who have decided to make things difficult for me."

"Working with organized crime is a noble thing, of course" says Fiore as soon as Enachi finishes the sentence.

"So's flooding a village," Choko says, thinking back to a halfling village on the Forbidden Plains where they had stayed. "Calling down a thunderstorm on them was a real nice thing to do."

"Means to an end," says the Chuushima. "Nothing more. If they had dug the canals properly, it wouldn't have been a problem for them."

"So why are you here?" says Fiore, "Somehow I doubt you stalk us personally, not after hiring your goons to take shots at our backs."

"Don't overestimate your worth, elemental," Enachi says, a look of distaste growing across his face. "I am here to enjoy a meal. My thanks for having the decency not to ruin it."

"Sure did a good job returning the favor." says Choko. She tries to force a brave tone, but she fears it betrays her unease. Something about this man bothers her. More than than how he seems to not care what the floods he caused did to that village. Maybe it's the way that he never seems to be put off or intimidated by her size. Most people give her at least a bit of respect for it. But this man...it is as though he doesn't notice. Or, that he doesn't see it as something to note. Choko still isn't sure whether or not Enachi is a wizard, or if he used some artifact to conjure the storms that flooded Reevyn.

"Bold words," Enachi says, "given that you seem to be deadset on stalking me to the ends of the continent. What is it you hope to accomplish by following me?"

"I'd like to see something done about your habit of randomly deciding to ruin towns and burglarize people, myself," says Fiore, as he sits back and gives something of a non-commital shrug. "But I suppose that doesn't mean much to you, does it now?"

"Less than nothing," Enachi says, as he turns away to leave. "I give you my last warning. You will not meddle in my affairs. Our next meeting will not be so civil, elemental." He glances over his shoulder at Choko. For a brief moment, their eyes meet. Looking in them, she can't quite read anything but disgust in their brown depths. Then he turns and walks away. "Consider it for the sake of your loved ones, as much as your own."

As he walks away, the giantess hears a low growl from Fiore. "Gods, I hate that man!" he says, his voice low but impassioned. "Who does he think he is, threatening us like that! It's a very good thing for him that I didn't want to draw the attention of the local guard to myself."

Choko puts her hand on his arm. Fiore's never been like this before. This is what Dad might do, but he's always upset over something. But Fiore...he's not supposed to be angry. "Just calm down, okay?" she says, "Don't worry about that horse's ass. I'll bet thirty gald that's all big talk and nothing else. Don't let him get to you..."

Fiore shakes his head, his lips tensed. Then he sighs and reachs for his water, saying "I'm sorry, Choko."

"Don't worry about it," she says, running her hand along his arm gently while he drinks. "Just calm down, you're making me jumpy."

Putting the water down, he sighs again. "Gods damn him, Choko. I hate when the people I love get threatened. And I saw the way he was looking at you before he did it."

The giantess nods. He was talking about me, threatening me. She has to suppress a shudder. Even if he was just a swordsman, something tells her that he could carry out that threat if he wanted to. "Look, he's full of hot air. So let's just try to calm down, okay? I'm not about to let that bastard ruin our night, no matter how much he wants to."

Choko truly wished that she could be a brave about this as she was sounding. It was going to be hard to look at those shadows in the stable tonight...

The moon rides low in the western horizon as Choko and Fiore return to their inn. The noise of the festival been fading away, as the streets empty of the causal revellers. Even though the following day will leave all but the inns, taverns, and restaurants closed, many do not wish to tempted fate. Within the Rose and Weasel, Choko can hear a musician's handiwork over riotous laughter and clinking plates. However, the quieter depths of the stables call to her, as she stifles a yawn.

"Well, home again," she says. "Close enough for me, anyways."

"It was a good evening, I think," Fiore says. "The lamb was good."

The giantess smiles. It may have cost more than she cares to think about, but she can't deny the phoenix's words. If they could make something like lamb taste that good, maybe it wasn't insane to think that they could make snails fit to eat? "I think I'm going to bed. Gotta be up early to see what Therney does tomorrow." She kneels down and givesn Fiore a gentle hug. Then, on a whim, a light kiss as well. It was a beautiful evening after all. Letting him go and standing again, she softly says "Good night, Fiore."

"I want to come with you, Choko" he says simply.

For a moment, she is speechless. What in the world is he thinking? She loved him, but it certainly wasn't time for anything like that! Maybe with Ryoko, but certainly not with her! "W-what?" she manages to says, looking down at him with disbelief.

"I don't trust that lunatic, Choko," he says. "So I want to be sure that you're going to be okay for tonight."

For a moment, the giantess has to hold back the urge to kick herself. But looking at the stables again, she couldn't help but wonder if Enachi was in there, or if he had done something to the place. She had almost managed to put that out of mind, too. "Alright," she says, "I guess that wouldn't hurt."

"Thank you, Choko," says Fiore as they start for the stables together. "I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight if I didn't do this."

"I know, I know. But you're sleeping inside the stall beside mine."

"Fair enough, I suppose." <p>------------------
</p>

SALSAlys

Re: Done godsdammit!

Unread postby SALSAlys » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:10 pm

*applauds* Simply gorgeous, dahlin'. Characterization is spiff as usual, and I love the depth of little details— particularly Choko's thought about never growing broccoli in their garden. =D

But on another note, I think that "saute'ed" should be "sauteed". Whee!

Thus, I do not have much constructive criticism, but big thumbs up!

Vampire Jester Jinx

Re: Done godsdammit!

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:55 pm

Very nice. Not much for critiquing but when i'm fresh I'll come back and give a shot. <p>
On Bitey, on Molesty,On Sigfried and Roy, on Slasher,On Bitchslap, Yuri and Yaoi! Yo ho ho! And Merry Christmas you bastards!
</div></p>

Return to Fanfiction and Other Writings