New Lease on Life (Gaera fic)

For artistic creations in text format.

Moderators: KingOfDoma, NebulaQueen

Ash Fanrico
The Key Master

New Lease on Life (Gaera fic)

Unread postby Ash Fanrico » Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:56 am

(This is meant to be what's happening to Rico while the Dark Stranger seeks him out)

Night

The fires of the column die down as a shape falls out of the remaining embers. The location was known to this creature, which was why he had chosen it. He could only teleport to places he had previous been... and the need for escape gave him little time to think of anywhere else.

The location was outside Doma, the place that was now under the control of some lower level pitlord named Malachias and his lackies. The creature stood up, and stretched his back. But, he didn't really give a flying orc's ass about Malachias right now. He was on the run from something... more frightening than some pitlord.

He had been known through out the lands, at one point, he was very feared and his presence alone gained respect. Now... this sorry pathetic shell, is known only by the name that his ex-girlfriend gave him.

Rico.

He took a deep breath as he watched the castle in the distance. Oh how he used to want to just... bust in there, sword in hand, and lay waste to all that stood before him. To hear the cries of his enemies before being cut down by his hands. Falling into pools of their own blood... oh... how he so would've loved that.

But now... he was considered nothing. The Demon had grown to realize that people just... weren't afraid of him anymore. Even a depressed fool like Kamos taunted him. He couldn't even inspire fear in a lowly candle maker nowadays.

Rico sighed once more, as he made his way towards the walls. The person who was following him was undoubtedly going to come here next. He knew that as much space as needed was to be put in between the both of them. But... still...

The thought... no, the desire to know why this Dark Stranger was trying to find him. Course, he never felt like sticking around to find out, whenever this mystery person was near. Fear always seemed to dictate the next move.

Rico decided to try and alleviate those thoughts... if only for a moment. So he turned his mind towards recent events, trying not to think of the robed stalker, who seemed willing to following him to the ends of the world.

Being a Huntsman, the personal killers of the Demon lords, it was hard for Rico to fathom the possibility of a person like Malachias to even obtain Doma. But it happened, and now this person, this pitlord, was in control of one of the most powerful kingdoms in the land. Which just seemed to boil the demonic kopii's blood even more. Where he had failed... this Malachias had succeeded.

Oh how he'd love to just... rip this pitlord's spine out and use it... as a plunger maybe... or as... a backscratcher... yes...

But that thought too faded... rather quickly. Contrary to popular belief, Rico was no fool. He knew that to get to the person at the top of the ladder, would mean having to go through all of his hench men, and lackies. By the time he'd reach Malachias, Rico knew that he would have already expended too much engery... or at least not enough to go the distance against the final adversary. He'd most likely die again... and be back in Hell... to start over again.

Besides, he'd probably be laughed out of Doma Castle by Malachias. Nobody feared his type anymore, nobody. He was a pathetic shell of a former feared monster. His travels continued around the corner of the wall he was walking by.

End of Part 1

Edited by: Ash Fanrico  Image at: 10/15/03 1:30 am

Ash Fanrico
The Key Master

Re: New Lease on Life (Gaera fic)

Unread postby Ash Fanrico » Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:25 am

(Was done to cut the increasingly long story in half, and i apologize for the possible crappy structure and writing this part may have near the end.)

Part 2

Probably wasn't much in Doma now... since he had seen the large scale exodus that happened not too long after Malachias asserted his rule. Probably none of the bars he loved to frequent were open anymore. If they were, he doubted that they'd accept his business. He IS a demon after all.

A sound came to his ears, as Rico turned towards it. It was a knapsack, and a leather bag. What they were doing there on the ground outside the walls was anyone's guess... but soon his answer came to him, as the end of a rope flew over the top of the wall.

Rico then realized what was going on. Malachias had allowed for people to leave Doma, as he awaited the arrival of his armies. Well... those armies are now in Doma. So it's gotten very hard for people to leave the city now. Which is what the owners of this rope were obviously doing.

The Demonic Kopii just stood there and watched, as two random strangers appeared over the wall. His thoughts shot back to the battlefield he had just left, that... strange feeling he had experienced outside Hyral Castle.

Had he wished to.... Help the Resistance? Nah... couldn't have.

But... as he watched these two make it over the wall, trying to leave what was once their beloved home.... the Huntsman could no longer fight back the feeling... of Sympathy.

Rico walked over towards the knapsack and leather bag. The least he could do was help them not waste time by having to search for their belongings. The feeling wouldn't leave... which served to twist around Rico's sense of being. He didn't like this feeling... but at the same time...

Didn't want it to leave. He felt... good...

"Alright... hurry-up. We've got to move. They'll find us, and you know what they'll most likely do then." said one of them, it was a round, portly sort of gentleman. Sweat poured down his forehead and back, as he awaited his companion.

""I'm going as fast as I can." came a voice, a feminine one. Rico kept quiet as he watched the two, risking their lives to escape from a place that was no longer safe.

The woman finally landed on the ground, as they both took a small break after all the climbing they had just done. Rico took this moment to walk over towards them, their belongings in his hands.

"You... uh... looking for these?" he asked, not sure of how to act... the feeling seemed to be in the driver's seat right now.

The couple practically jumped, maybe keeping quiet wasn't the best of choices. The portly fellow walked over to him.

"Who are you? What are you doing here?" he asked in a sharp tone. Rico had no idea of how to respond. He'd usually react with a negative phrase, or with an idle threat. But things weren't the same... not anymore.

"I... was walking by... heard the bags drop and being watching ya both this.. uhh... whole time?" he responded, not wishing to tell them about why he was really there. That he was practically wetting himself from the thought of something... some dark stranger following him.

This didn't seem to calm the man down much, so Rico just put their bags down on the ground. "Sorry to have frightened you *IM: Awe man... I sound so stupid..., this is the best reaction I've gotten in months...* was just passin' by." He said, with an uncharacteristic smile.

The woman moved forward, "You... you look familiar. Are you Ash Fanrico?" she asked. Rico almost busted out laughing, the thought of him being mistaken for Mister Goody-Two Shoes, was almost unbearable.

"Uhh... yeah... I'm him. What seems to be... the uh... problem?" he asked... in his best heroic voice. By this time, he had no idea where he was going with this new sensation, but knew that these two needed to get out of here soon. So he played along.

"Problem? You ok Mr. Fanrico? The entire bloody castle's been taken over! Why haven't you come in with da swords swingin'?" asked the portly gentleman.

Rico had to think quickly, "I've been trying to think of a way to best get into Doma, infiltration... ya know? Without getting an entire army of ummm... demons... up my ass." he replied.

"Ah.. so that's why you were here then? Looking for any possible weaknesses in the walls? Gonna blow out this wall with a bomb maybe?" asked the woman, who seemed to be very much riding on that hope.

"Nice idea... I think I'll use it." Rico replied, who was actually beginning to enjoy himself here. He wasn't forcing a smile anymore.

Rico then got back to reality, he knew that time mustn't be wasted, these two had to get on their way, and fast.

"Any idea where you two are heading?" he asked, trying to make them hurry up. This seemed to also bring the couple back to the situation at hand.

"We hope to make our way to Nekonia... heard they've been letting in alot of refugees from Doma." replied the portly fellow. Rico then reached down for their bags again...

"HALT!!!" came a voice from behind. Rico then knew... he probably should've left the two where he had found them.

The woman seemed to gasp for air, fear taking over her mind. The portly fellow just seemed to swear under his breath, as two Demon Guards came towards them.

Rico was cursing to himself as well... he should never have listened to that stupid sensation... much less go along with that feeling.

End of Part 2

Edited by: Ash Fanrico  Image at: 10/15/03 1:29 am

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:31 pm

Not bad, not bad. There are a few typos and sentence fragments in there, as well as some overusage of ellipsis, but for the most part the story is interesting and the writing flows well. I'd go into more detail, but critiquing writing isn't exactly something I'm good at.

...so at least now you know that someone's reading it, and you can write more. :D <p>
I am an <s>arrogant</s> elitist bastard.

And now, since I want to be unique like everybody else, quotes:
"People don't seem to realize, it wasn't a powerful ass poke. It was a powerful poke, to the ass!" ~ Lord McBastard
"So what you're saying is that Nintendo and Sony are in league with each other, and possibly the Red Skull?" ~ EKDS5K
</p>

Ash Fanrico
The Key Master

Unread postby Ash Fanrico » Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:14 am

(Hopefully the concluding chapter, will be mostly how Rico handles the guards)

Part 3

Sure enough, as Rico had feared, the noise was caused by two demon guards. Obviously on patrol to ensure that such a thing as what these would-be escapees were attempting doesn't happen.

There were garbed in the attire that most of these henchmen wore. As it was obvious, the two were carrying lanterns. In the free hands of both of them, there held a spear.

"This escape attempt has sadly ended it seems." said one of the guards through a grinning smile. They slowly approached the three, as Rico got up. He became illuminated in the lantern light.

This sudden movemet made the guards stop. "I can't... heh heh heh... believe it." said one as he chuckled. To Rico it wasn't new... word travels fast through Hell. Demons know of another's short comings quicker than most humans do.

"Whassa matter Rico? In need of Beer Money? Hoping they'll pay your drunkard ass so you can down some booze later on?" asked the other. This development was obviously tickling the shit out of both of them. Rico could only clench his teeth in embarrassment.

"How'd you two pick up this LOSER? Was he passed out in the same alleyway you two were sneaking around in?" said the one who had first commented about Rico. This sudden news was obviously now taking affect on the two escapees. They just then realized who Rico really was. He wasn't General Ash Fanrico... but the demon kopii, Dark Fanrico. The looks on their faces spoke for them. They were angry at being led on to believe that he was someone else. The one who's look especially burned into Rico's mind was the look of the portly fellow. The look just spoke millions of things, the man obviously regretted having even stopped to talk to him, and was now wishing he had just ignored Rico from the beginning.

But the two "jokers" weren't done there. "Gods... you must be desperate Rico. I mean c'mon, helping peasant filth just to make some money? Where's your sense of pride?" one of them mockingly asked.

"Pride? This is Rico we're talking about here! He's a washed up loser... a has-been. Not even fit to be called a demon anymore!" replied his companion, before going into more laughter. The previous feeling that Rico had felt was gone. Replaced by an over bearing sense of pure rage. A rage that was boiling up inside him...

"Well... we're sorry you two. Looks like you're gonna be spending a little time in jail. Before your undouted execution, there's no denying that." said the other guard, while his friend was laughing. The woman began whimpering, she had had so much hope on escaping the hellhole that was formerly Doma. Now her greatest fears were coming to life.

The two guards approached their new prisoners. Only the man put up a fight, the woman was too lost in anguish to even care about what was happening to her. The guards paid no heed to Rico, besides... he was "nothing". By now the boiling point in Rico's rage had been reached. His fiery column erupted around him, brighter than it's ever been in a long time. The pure rage and utter hatred fueled these flames.

The guards took notice quickly, as the light of the Demon's fire was even dwarfing their lanterns. What they saw was unexpected... a Rico with a look of purpose in his eyes.

"A NOTHING huh?" asked Rico through clenched teeth. The guards raised their weapons, ready for anything... or so they hoped.

"I am Dark Fanrico!!! I'm the terror that lies in your worst nightmares. I'm the cold feeling that creeps up your spine! I am the thing that is watching you in the darkness! I AM PURE HATRED GIVEN FLESH!!! AND RIGHT NOW... I AM REALLY PISSED OFF!!!!!" he bellowed as he charged his newly made adversaries.

Fueled by a renewed fiery rage, the demon kopii set upon his foes with the attitude and behavior of a possessed madman. The two peasants could only watch as the one known as Dark Fanrico tore into their captors.

With the sick grace of a dancer, Rico went about his task with what could only be described as murderous glee. Any wounds he recieved were ignored, pain was not new to him, he had been brought down many a time by his foes.

By his own hands the guards were made to suffer for their mockery, for their arrogance, and for the very air they breathed. Because the Kopii was beyond caring about the fact that these two were considered his bretheren in the Pit.

He was filled with a new reason, a reason that not even he could fully comprehend... for at that moment in time, the one who was known as Rico became a new person. In the fiery forboding light of the fires that surrounded him, Dark Fanrico was just now getting into his new purpose in life.

The first to fall was the guard who had said that Rico wasn't fit to be called a demon anymore. For those words had struck the deepest. He was above them, he was a Huntsman, the unworthy ones were those who had taken over this city. This lesson he taught through pain, as the guard's arm was snapped in two. A spin around and Rico was right behind him, fully into his dark "groove". Man did it feel good to be back on the offensive. He grabbed the infidel by the neck and bent his twig of a back beyond it's limit, cracking the sniveling worm's spinal chord in half. The man's screams only fueled the carnage being brought down upon them.

"Whassa matter? Getting hurt by a nothing? Now who's the worthless one you pitiful whelp?" he hissed into his opponent's ear. A decision for mercy was chosen and Rico quickly twisted the man's neck, snuffing out his life.

The man and woman were beginning to worry if they were to share a similar fate. If Rico was just gonna off them as soon as he was done with the guards. What bothered them the most was the sick look of pleasure that Dark Fanrico was seemingly getting out of this.

A roar from behind signalled his friend's advance, which left the Dark Kopii just enough time to counter. With ninja-like speed, he managed to snap off the spearhead of his foe's weapon, and bring it around back to it's unintended target, the attacker. Peircing the spot near the collar-bone and the shoulder, Rico jammed the sharpened weapon right where he had wanted. Stopped his opponent in his tracks.

Rico was going to prolong this, for pure enjoyment. He lifted his enemy up, by the throat, and let him bleed. The Fanrico kopii could tell... this man was in excruciating pain. A pain not many want to experience.

"End it... please... be... merciful..." pleaded the guard, his face full of agony. He still couldn't believe he had been bested by the person who was supposed to be a push-over.

"I don't know... are you worthy of it? Are you worthy of being shown mercy? Would you have shown those two escapees mercy? No... I think not. Now you're going to pay for those words." growled Rico, as he kept his opponent in the air.

"Most people would leave you on a last thread of life, living just long enough to give your boss and his lap dogs a message." Rico said, his face reflecting his enjoyment. The guard's pain was seemingly adding to his excitement. Rico had never felt so alive in a long time.

"L.. L... Lord Malachias?" asked the guard, blood dripping down his mouth.

"But... I'm not like THOSE people." replied Rico, his eyes almost twinkling, he was that happy about the situation.

"Cause... Skippy... I think this will be a good enough message... don't you?" he asked, not expecting an answer. The guard began to gurgle and groan from the pain.

"You get your wish pal!" said Rico right before flicking his wrist, with the man's neck in his grasp. A watery pop was heard, as the peasant couple held onto each other. Rico let his grip go, and the man slumped to the ground. The fiery aura died down as well.

As if he had almost forgotten them, the demon turned his attention to the two escapees, who were looking like trapped rabbits.

The feeling and instinct to add them to his new list was unbearable. His lust had not been satisfied. He wanted more death.

He slowly approached the two. They seemed to shrink back as they tried to somehow become one with the castle walls. They had a new fear now... one that was more frightening than being caught by Malachias. Mainly because Malachias was not right in front of them, looking like a blood crazed animal.

The fiery column erupted again, as Rico moved his hand towards his intended victims. But then... something happened...

That cursed feeling returned. That one that had gotten him into this mess in the first place. The one that made him want to go and HELP instead of destroy. This feeling washed away his blood lust, and his rage died down with it.

Now the demon felt drained. He hadn't used such powers in a long time. It was a bit rusty for him to suddenly whip up such fervor and energy after such a long period of unuse. He looked again at the two people he had originally intended to help.

Not too far from his left foot was one of their bags. He let out a long sigh and bent over to pick it up. Unfinished business had to be completed.

"Now get out of here." He said, breaking the tension. The couple seemed dazed. Who wouldn't be? After all that had just happened, now it was back to business?

"Ummm... thank you?" asked the portly fellow as he grabbed his bag. Rico forced a pleasant smile, again letting the strange sensation control his reactions.

"Don't mention it. You might want to hurry too. I'd be lying if I told ya that was all there was." replied Rico, almost acting chummy with the man.

He then handed the woman her knapsack as well, "Uhhh... why are you doing this... uh... Dark Fanrico was it?" she asked, as she slung the bag over her shoulder. This struck Rico a bit weird.

"I wish I could tell ya honestly. I guess... things change. Even the most unlikely of people." replied the Demon Kopii, looking dumbfounded.

He watched the two walk off into the night, they obviously had an idea of the terrain, as they wasted little time leaving the area.

Rico sighed, he felt like a goof ball now. Why HAD he done that? Honestly... why did he just waste such a perfect oppurtunity? Peasants were usually his favorite victims...

He kept pondering this as he walked away from the area as well. Not wishing to be there when other guards and soldier types finally arrived on the scene. Sure he'd love to get back into another battle... but he wasn't going to risk the possibility of there being many more soldiers next time.

Though he had hated to let such easy prey go... Rico felt... kinda good about the decision. Which only served to confuse him more.

Unfortunately, he had taken his mind off the main reason he had been there in the first place. As he was now walking off in the opposite direction, aka: not the way he was originally going.

Rico paid this no mind, he was still pumped up from having just slaughtered two guards, almost effortlessly. He continued walking as well. He was soon out of the city's limits.

Reality served to bring him once again out of his thoughts as he suddenly felt that presence again. Much stronger this time... and close. Rico froze up, stiff as a board almost. To be more precise about the location of this Dark Stranger...

The man, the Dark Stalker was right behind him. Rico could smell the lingering oder of sulfer and brimstone. His regained courage quickly left him, as he once again felt like a helpless child.

"Why... hello there... 'Dark Fanrico'." said a voice... as rough as crushed glass.

Rico was once again afraid.

The End
(To be concluded in the next installment/thread)

Return to Fanfiction and Other Writings