The flight of the Neo Vanists

For artistic creations in text format.

Moderators: KingOfDoma, NebulaQueen

Banjooie

The flight of the Neo Vanists

Unread postby Banjooie » Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:29 pm

"This is bloody insanity, is what it is."
Jinto Ernpol, ex-third class Earth Mage of Neo Vane, held up his torn mage robes to keep from tripping over them.
He and Diran been fleeing Doma for three days, teleporting whenever they could. However, they had to know -where-
they were going, for the most part, and they hadn't explored northeastern Doma very often. So a lot of their time
was spent on foot.

A similarily dressed mage, clad in violet robes with a golden trim, was having less difficulty getting about than
Jinto. Diran Ilsvire, ex-third class Thunder Mage of Neo Vane, chuckled a little. "Better than worldsaving, at least."

Altogether, there were eight mages fleeing Doma City. Eight mages from a world where
heroes and villains were a dime a dozen. They'd split up, unfortunately. A bit of a rain
storm had separated them, and not a single one of them had considered there to be time to
return. What was worse, it appeared that the focii for their telepathy had been smashed.
Without it, the mental connections between them they had near depended on for months were gone.

"This is all Baseton's fault, I guarantee it." Diran continued. "Oh, there's a clearing
up ahead, let's take a break, shall we?"

Within an hour, Jinto had set up a grand total of one tent. "Where the hell is Meldon, anyway?"
He grunted, considering the very real possibility of having to expend more precious energies
on summoning a shelter. "He's the one that knows how to do all this bugger, not me."

Diran hadn't fared much better, and had some green sticks piled up on the ground. "Midwifery
isn't particularly useful for the wilds either. I'll be damned if he's not better off than we are, though."

A mere league away, a mage wearing a tattered blue tunic and what appeared to be a similarly
dyed skirt ran from a particularly ferocious looking beast. It had been, at one time, a
well-crafted piece of Neo Vanic mage robe finery. However, Meldon's failed attempts at finding
shelter for the night had quickly worn down whatever protection they may have offered him.

The beast, which was, as far as Meldon was concerned, a failed magical construct
of some wannabe wizard, looked rather like a spiked bear. And from what Meldon could
discern, it was either hungry, or in mating season. Neither appeared to be worthwhile
prospects. -Should have just stayed with the mermaids-, he thought. And then, as he
tripped over a particularly badly placed tree root, he thought no more.

"You're a damned idiot, Meldon. You've ruined those robes of yours."

Meldon blinked, and saw a girl with a brown ponytail and robes similar to Diran's and
Jinto's, barring that hers were creme and white. She held a sword covered in blood in her
right hand, and the corpse of a beast that looked rather like a spiked bear lay beside
her. Furthermore, the sun seemed to have dipped a bit.

"Yinnea Daysom. Sure lucky you showed up. How're you holding out?"

The girl winked, and wiped her blade off in the grass. "Better than you are, drippy. Those
greybeards at Neo Vane definitely taught YOU survival well." A warmhearted chuckle escaped
her lips. "So. Make yourself useful, and find us a place to start a fire. We have dinner
right here, after all..."

Cloaked in shadow, Hzar Danill fled through the forest. He'd had no problems drawing his energy.
He picked up on where dark energy was, and wherever somebody thought negatively, he could get
some refreshment.Though it wasn't really a morally sound thing to do, Hzar considered it more
of a necessity. His obsidian robes had become even darker due to his particular escapades after
the storm. A short day or so earlier, a house in a small village had caught on fire, and a small
child was caught inside. Hzar had tried his best to help...but he had failed to save the child.
The villagers had chased him away with torches.

His magical energies, however, were rather irrelevant when he could not summon food nor drink to
his side, and Hzar's lack of sustenance was starting to take its toll. The Dark Mage of Neo Vane
leaned against a tree to catch his breath. Mayhaps...well, he -could- attempt to cut himself and
use his magics for nourishment...but that'd be rather risky. As he continued to ponder, he found
himself aware of a rustling noise in the nearby bush. Ah. -Mayhaps, tonight, I may eat.- He stood,
turned, and raised his hand. He'd have exercised Proper Showy Spellcasting, but he'd barely the
strength to do that. Hzar closed his eyes, and imagined a spear of pure energy forming on his palm.
He threw it towards the noise, mentally adding the required 'Check this out!' to the end.

A yelp of agony came from the bush, and then a silence. Hzar felt the death of what appeared to be a
young deer. -Bless Althena-, he thought, as he walked over to eat for the first time in three days.
It was raw, but...it was food, and that was all he could hope for at the moment. As he pulled the
body out, he closed the now ex-deer's eyes, and thanked it. Now to replenish his strength, and mayhaps
find his friends.

Fenron Malgmar, Ex Third Class Fire Mage of Neo Vane, rode along a forest trail, Pelos hanging on for
dear life. The horse had been a fortuitious find. They'd come across a gang of bandits whom had kidnapped
girls of 15 to 17 summers, likely for either ransom or...more base uses. While their rescue attempt had
failed to a thoroughly inconvienient anti-magic amulet, a plucky young lad with an odd haircut had come by
and thrashed the group of rogues soundly. The Neo Vanists thanked him kindly, and suggested he find himself
a different mode of employment. There were enough horses for the two of them, but after Pelos had proven
incapable of riding, and as they'd no use for a pack horse, they'd given it to the wannabe hero.

"I've been thinking, Pelos..." The crimson-robed rider said, slowing the horse down. "About our time here in
Gaera."

The Light Mage reaffirmed his place on the horse, and nodded. "There's a small pond up there, probably a better
place to stop and talk." -Though I'm hardly an expert.- He continued to hold on to Fenron, still rather upset
about the horseriding. It was better than walking, but...still. "And I could use a break. My bottom's starting
to really ache."

Fenron tethered the horse to a tree, and let it take a drink. "Now, as I was saying...what've we gotten out of
being here in Gaera, Pelos? Anything worth our while?" He raised an eyebrow, and pulled out a canteen, which he
filled.

Pelos blinked. "Well, besides the new magics, the friends we've made, the...why, it's nigh-uncountable
the things the Gaerans have done for us, Fenron. I don't think there's a single doubt that they've been great to
us overall."

Fenron nodded slowly, and turned towards what appeared to be a clearing ahead. "So, especially in Doma, the Gaerans
have always done what they could for us, even those that...didn't agree with our philosophies, is what you're saying
there, Pelos?" He peered ahead.

The orange-clad wizard pondered. "I'd have to say so, Fenron. Why do you ask?" He rubbernecked slightly, trying to see
what Fenron was staring at. "Is something wrong?"

Fenron shook his head. "Nothing, Pelos. Absolutely nothing. Not yet, anyway. Check that clearing ahead, will you? I think
we may have just found our friends." He walked over to the horse's ropes.

-This green makes me blend in with the forest. Never thought I'd appreciate that.-

Nagan Wilthere, the Wind Mage from Neo Vane, was now using his staffgun as a walking stick. He'd still had some ammunition,
but he'd been saving it for small game. That was all he could use it on. His magics were useless for hunting; If they did
anything useful, they pounded whatever he wanted to eat into a dirt and twig filled pulp. His right knee wasn't doing too great,
after that storm. He'd thought about wind-riding, but if he smashed into a tree...nobody'd be there to save him. For the first
time in his life, Nagan Wilthere actually had to survive out in the wilderness on his own, without the help of the other Neo
Vanists. Or anybody else, for that matter.

He'd been climbing a hill for the last hour. The wind mage figured when he reached the top, he'd be able to use a spell to travel
a bit more efficiently. It wasn't that high, of course. It was simply that he'd been resting a bit more than he would normally due
to his injury. And he hated every minute of it. Before, whenever he'd had an injury, there'd -always- been a Light Mage about to
clear it up. Or a potion. Or SOMETHING. This was simply absurd. He couldn't wait to get back to Doma. If he could get back to Doma.
Ever. He sighed, and shook his head. He'd never find his friends thinking like that.

Or..would he?

-Doma is burning to the ground, la la la, Hzar, are you there, you sodding useless bastard, la la la...- He kept a morbid little song
going in his head, as he climbed the hill with renewed vigor. -Doma Castle's burning down, burning down, burning down, Doma Castle's
burning down, my fair lady..-

"You. Sing. Really. Badly. In. Your. Thoughts. For. The. Love. Of. Althena. STOP!" Hzar stepped in front of Nagan. The Wind Mage nearly
collapsed with relief. Instead, he collapsed due to his knee.

"Hzar, you bloody bastard. Help me out, will you?" Hzar nodded, and brought out his dagger. It caught the last gleams of sunlight. Night
would be falling quite soon. They'd need a place to stay.

"Can't. Take. The. Time. For. Showing. Off. Nagan. Terribly. Sorry. Right. Knee. Is. That?" He chuckled, and pulled away the robes. The
knee'd been hurt pretty badly. Were Nagan not living in a society of mages, the injury would likely be permanent. Hzar touched the dagger
to the wound. "Now. This'll. Hurt. A. Bit."

Nagan steeled himself. It wasn't a Light Mage, but...it would work. Hzar cut a line down Nagan's knee, and immediately placed his other
hand on it. "Check. This. OUT!" The blood flowing from Nagan's wound grew black, and resealed inside. The injury wasn't healed fully,
Hzar wasn't a miracle worker. Further healing would be required. But for now, Nagan could walk on it freely. "Now. Where. Do. We. Go. Now?"

The wind mage bit his lip. "I don't have a clue, Hzar. I was hoping we'd see something from the top of the hill." The Dark Mage nodded, and
offered his hand to help Nagan up. "For. Neo. Vane... No. For. Us."

A short time later, the two mages found themselves at the summit. There wasn't much to see, except for a small clearing, with..with..smoke.
There was smoke coming from that campfire, and lots of it. "Hzar? We've got a place to stay for the night."

*hop, spin spin*

CHECK THIS OUT!

Uncle Pervy

Re: The flight of the Neo Vanists

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:46 pm

This is interesting, to see them not being able to really work together.

Two complaints. I'd try to work thoughts into text without the dashes to denote them. It's not a glaring trouble, but one I'd like to see worked in.

The other think is when Meldon and Yinnea meet. Meldon's way of introducing her; saying her full name; feels rather forced. I'd drop her last name from it, or restructure what Meldon says. <p>------------------
Greetings, large black person. Let us not forget to form a team up together and go into the country to inflict the pain of our karate feets on some ass of the giant lizard person.
</p>

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:21 pm

Oh. See, I'd actually written them -into- the dashes, when, previously, y'know, they weren't. I'd normally use italics, mind, but I had to write it on notepad. Which isn't too italics friendly.

As for the full name, that was more because I felt it was a sort of harken back to Neo Vanic days, when the teacher was probably more likely to state the full name in a situation like that. But if it seems forced, I can fix it. :D

Return to Fanfiction and Other Writings