Rumours: Semiru's background

For artistic creations in text format.

Moderators: KingOfDoma, NebulaQueen

WhiteShadow

Rumours: Semiru's background

Unread postby WhiteShadow » Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:45 am

(Hey there! This is a little of Semiru's backstory, especially of the events on the night where he was banished from his hometown. Now, Semiru doesn't remember what happened that night, so any events here have no bearing of his character as of yet. P.S. Radlin = Semi's dad, and Grimm appeared briefly in Rum, White Magic and Cabbits!)

It was a quiet day in the White Whale Inn, and the various nets and ropes that hung from the ceiling (a vain attempt at making it more of a “seaman’s tavern”) swung in the light sea-breeze.

It was early morning, and as Grimm surveyed the room he found few people drinking at this time. However, he did find who he was looking for, tucked away in a booth in the corner. The man sitting there beckoned him over, and Grimm strode across the room to join him, floorboards creaking beneath his large frame.

Sliding into the booth, he nodded to the man. “Mornin’, Radlin”.

“Good morning, Grimm, “ Radlin replied, his voice soft, quiet. The smile on his face revealed many wrinkles, betraying his age more than the grey streaks in his red hair and beard. “Not at the smithy this morning?”

Grimm smiled “Now, now, Radlin, you have to give me a day off sometime. And things have been slow lately anyway. No, this morning I just wanted to relax with a master blacksmith.”

“Sure you did, Apprentice. The only reason you ever come to see me is to either pester me or ask that eternal question…”

“What happened to your first apprentice?” Grimm cut in.

“Exactly” Radlin replied with a smile.

“Well, I wanna know. C’mon, I'll even buy you an ale…” Grimm pleaded.

“Sorry son, don’t touch that stuff any more,” Radlin raised his glass, filled to the brim with water. “But I suppose I should stop your wonderin’ so you can get back to work. It’s just, well, that the first apprentice was… my son.”

Grimm’s violet eyebrows shot skyward. “Semiru?”

Radlin gave a slow nod, sipping at his water after he did so. “Better grab yourself an ale, boy, this is a long story.”

Grimm hurried to the bar, ordering a Dragonale. He had been wondering what had happened to the old blacksmith’s first apprentice since he started at the smith in Kohlingen, and finally Radlin had deemed to tell him. No wonder it was so hard to get him to talk about it, considering it involved his disgraced child.

Dashing back to the table, he sat down with the mug in his hand, all ears.

Radlin scratched his beard a moment, loosing some hairs into the air, before sitting back in his chair and stretching a bit. Grimm noted the man’s attempt to annoy him by stretching out the moment, but remained silent.

“Well, it happened about six months ago. But, the story isn’t really complete until I tell you about how your friend Semiru got to be where he was, at the time.

You see, he never really wanted to be a blacksmith, that boy, but he thought he’d do it just to please, and to be perfectly honest, he wasn’t much good at anything else. So when he was still just a young ‘un, he became my apprentice. Didn’t do too bad at the old forge, but he was a bit of an indecisive one. Impulsive, you know what I mean.

Heck, he always had been. I asked him if he wanted a pet when he was just a little tacker, and he would say a dog, then a cat, and then a dragon, all probably within five seconds. But anyway! Being a seaside town as this is, we get a lot of buccaneers stopping by. I’ve fixed more cutlasses in my time then you’ve had hot dinners, Grimm, and so has Semiru.

He fell in love with that blade, and the lifestyle that went with it. The occasional old sea-dog would regale him with stories, either while he was fixing their blade, or down at the tavern at night. He was just a ten year-old then, so he’d have nothing better to do than listen, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. He told me that he had decided to become a sailor!

But, then, the old indecisiveness crept in. He started training with the cutlass, but after meeting you and seeing how your father was a woodsman, he became a bit of an axe-fan. Where he got the idea for throwing knives from is a mystery to me.

So, the days went by. He’d still help me out at the smith, but early in the mornings and late at night I’d find him training. Maybe he’d use the cutlass for a week, then the axe for a day, before tossing knives at my walls for a month. He became a bit of a jack-of-all-trades, master of none, and he never became a sailor.

Instead, he’d spend his nights down at the tavern, occasionally doing knife tricks for money. And that’s where the trouble came.

It was his birthday that night. Of course, unfortunately for young Semi, his birthday was the same as Sean Crowe’s. And really, a blacksmith’s apprentice’s party is never going to match up to a local noble’s revelry. The Crowe party nearly always spilled out onto the streets of the town, and that night was no exception.

Semiru’s party was just at his local, with a few friends. I remember you weren’t there, Grimm?”

Grimm nodded, and sipped at his beer. “I was visiting my grandmother. By the time I returned, it was all over and no-one would talk about it.”

“Well, that’s easily explained, “ Radlin continued, “Especially considering my poor boy committed murder that night.”
<p>-----------------------------------------------------
"To fall, to fall... Glorious!"</p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=whiteshadow@rpgww60462>WhiteShadow</A]&nbsp; Image at: 7/12/03 12:50 am

Return to Fanfiction and Other Writings