House Where the Sun Never Shines (Backstory)

For artistic creations in text format.

Moderators: KingOfDoma, NebulaQueen

Angel of Fire

House Where the Sun Never Shines (Backstory)

Unread postby Angel of Fire » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:20 am

There is a house in the countryside where the sun never shines. Winds blow fiercely apon it, and rain beats down on its tattered roof without mercy. Some describe it as haunted. Others say that it is a cursed place and that no one could possibly live there. Yet someone did.
It was a shack that sagged like a loose tooth. The white paint was chipped and peeling. The grass lay uncut and empty bottles of ale littered the front yard. Yes, people lived there. A family, in fact. My family.

I remember all too well the night our family was torn apart. My parents' marrige had been on the rocks for as long as I could remember. We were a poor family, and my father wasted all of the little money that we did have on drinking. The day that our money ran out my mother confronted him. She was usually very gentle, but she hated alchohol of any kind. She told him that she would leave unless he stopped drinking and got a job. He was angry at her for telling him so many times and he was drunk. My father just glared at her with a look of hate that I know so well. She had almost reached the door when he got up and stopped her.
"Just where do you think your going?" he said in a mocking voice so different from his usual drunken snarl.
"I'm leaving."
"Are you now?" he asked, snatching a knife from the counter. "I don't think so..."
"Please... no!"
He seemed changed... almost demonic as he snarled, "You've pushed me too far, woman. You don't understand. But you will. Oh yes, you will."
She tried to back away, but he was too fast. He slit my mother's throat before she could get out the door.
She uttered five words, the last things that she would ever say and the words that I will remember for the rest of my life.
"Autumn... help August... and Ar... thur."
She sank to the ground dead.
I'll never forget that night... ever.

The next day, I buried my mother in the back yard. My father didn't even seem to care that she was dead. Did he care about anyone? Anything? August had left in the night, leaving only a note saying that she was leaving. She thought that she would be happier that way.

Over the last six years, I've searched many times for August. Yet somehow, I always come home. Maybe it's to see my brother Arthur. Maybe it's to visit my mother's grave. Perhaps it is the secret that I alone bear. I know the reason for all the misfortune that happened here. What is it?
It is because this is the house where happiness does not exist... the house where the sun never shines.
(Is this decent, at least?)

Kadrin77

Re: House Where the Sun Never Shines (Backstory)

Unread postby Kadrin77 » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:43 am

It's groovy, Angel.

...rather shocking, but groovy. :D

Angel of Fire

Unread postby Angel of Fire » Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:21 am

Yay of yays! And it's not supposed to be all pleasant and stuff... <p>_________
I promise I don't bite... too hard

</p>

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:46 pm

Yay, backstory! :D

Either way, nice job. *sage nod* This also helps me understand Autumn a little better. Either way, good job.

However, there are times when you should use the return key. For example:

"Over the last six years, I've searched many times for August. Yet somehow, I always come home. Maybe it's to see my brother Arthur. Maybe it's to visit my mother's grave. Perhaps it is the secret that I alone bear. I know the reason for all the misfortune that happened here. What is it?
It is because this is the house where happiness does not exist... the house where the sun never shines."

This should be separated. Like so.

"Over the last six years, I've searched many times for August. Yet somehow, I always come home. Maybe it's to see my brother Arthur. Maybe it's to visit my mother's grave. Perhaps it is the secret that I alone bear. I know the reason for all the misfortune that happened here. What is it?

It is because this is the house where happiness does not exist... the house where the sun never shines."

Little things like that can make a difference. Either way, keep up the writing. *sage nod*

<p>

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">
"Hear all Hear All! I dub this man The Angst Mysterious Bloke of the party! May he now and forever more been known as this! Ask not his past, for it is probably overly tragic and boring. Ask not his name for it is more mysterious not to know it! And ask not of his powers for it is hiding behind a hood cause he's too scared of what women will think of his ugly mug!"-Jenna Tymisonn, Where the Heart Is</span></p>

Return to Fanfiction and Other Writings