More sketches of a character only some of you know!

For artistic creations in non-text format.
Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

More sketches of a character only some of you know!

Unread postby Kai » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:23 am

Myrnal as Jessie Cates

This has been Kai, providing you with your recommended daily allowance of angst. Enjoy. <p>-------------------------
"It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor." -- Sandman "The Kindly Ones" </p>

Nick Shogun

Good News, Young Jesus!

Unread postby Nick Shogun » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:22 am

Great shading on the face, and the background adds a level of hidden chaos that intrigues me in artwork. I assume you've been doing this kind of art for a while; otherwise you're some freakish prodigy.

Actually, I'm kinda surprised I've never seen any of your art before now. Methinks I should pay a visit to the RPGWW Art Page, eh? <p><div style="text-align:center">
www.livejournal.com/users/jankenpo/
Jan-Ken-Po, an Online Webcomic. Updated M-W-F!
</div></p>

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Re: Good News, Young Jesus!

Unread postby Kai » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:29 pm

Thanks! The chaos thing was what I was going for, so it's good to hear that I apparently pulled it off.

I'm not on the art page, as I haven't been on the site for very long. Little over a year. Everything else I've done is up my my deviantart, though. It lives there if you're curious or whatnot. <p>-------------------------
"It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor." -- Sandman "The Kindly Ones" </p>

RedEye Dragon89

Re: Good News, Young Jesus!

Unread postby RedEye Dragon89 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:01 pm

No, I'm not picking on you.

-I can tell you're a little hesitant to use darker values, probably becaue of that already dark background you got going there. Everything from the neck down is hard to read, mainly because you only used two values and blended them together. Values are much more important than color, since they define the form of the object.

-Looks like you avoided the fuzzy brushes, though, which is a good sign.

-I can't say I like the color choices. While the background is dark and dull, it still has a maroonish tinge to it, while the sweater is completely grey--they're offensive chroma (how dull or intense a hue is). The hair has the same problem. Overall, you essentially have black-on-black. Remember that in art, colors aren't necessarily meant to completely imitate reality, but to make other colors pop.

-Because of the lack of value contrast on the piece, I can't really tell where, exactly, the light source is. I'm assuming that it's straight on, photography lighting, because of the lighter tones' positioning, but it's not intense enough to merit the overall lightness of the piece.

-Overall, a definite light source and some shadows will improve the work.

I'd post more links, but I think I'll just make a seperate thread and persuade someone to sticky it. <p>

<div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Return to Fanart and Miscellaneous