I continue to draw

For artistic creations in non-text format.
Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

I continue to draw

Unread postby Kai » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:58 pm

Here is another character of mine, relatively new. I'm currently using her for second gen RP of justice. Her name's Zea, and she is the daughter of my much-loved (pun certainly intended) Quinn. <p>-------------------------
"It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor." -- Sandman "The Kindly Ones" </p>

The Great Nevareh

Re: I continue to draw

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:14 am

Slippers, a dress, and a BATTLE AXE that I mistook for a banjo at first. Gotta love the combo.

Now for the unwanted criticism that I dish out with impunity.

The good: I enjoy the shading and texturing you use. Her proportions, overall, are well-executed, and the folds of her dress around her leg are likeable. Also, the bottom half of the right leg is well-done, with a highlight being the tapering of the leg to the calf and the overall good formation of the foot into the shoe.

The bad: Her hands are really, really tiny and I can't help but think that her right leg is doing something that it shouldn't be able to do- bending slightly too low at the hips so it looks sort of like her femur is off-kilter or maybe broken in two places. I find the whole process of her torso turning into her legs is a bit difficult to follow and her hips... confuse me. Another problem is that the understated left leg looks shorter than the right leg because I don't see any pronounced poing where it's bent- another thing that bothers me is her right foot, which looks slightly like it's sort of oozing out of the bottom of her leg. I can't tell where the knee is, so I can't accurately judge her position or how long her leg is to begin with.

????: Is her dress split up the side? If not, then it's warping inwards of time and space and losing part of its hem. How tall is the tombstone? Cuz it looks pretty tall- higher than half her height.

Suggestions: This is just stylistic, but the graphing paper bothers me. Have you ever considered inking your work using tracing paper before scanning? It helps create much more defined lines, though it sort of destroys the texture you naturally get with a pencil. Also, I find that not many of the body lines are very sharp, thus creating a bit of ambiguity about what she's shaped like- a sharper knee-dent in the dress so it looks less like her left thigh is gigantic, some shadows over her background foot to put some depth in there, and some lines around her chest to create something other than a shaped box that her neck funnels into. What I'd do about the leg that's bothering me (and likely no one else) is not to have it bend down as it goes back. I'd also pick a much more definitive light source so your shadows have direction as well as area, increasing the depth that they imply.

At any rate, hope I'm slightly helpful. <p>[---------------------------]
"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung

"I eat the talking bees because I am George Washington Christ"
-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:20 pm

Same picture, just in color. <p>-------------------------
"It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor." -- Sandman "The Kindly Ones" </p>Edited by: Kai&nbsp; Image at: 9/3/05 17:21

RedEye Dragon89

Unread postby RedEye Dragon89 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:12 pm

I see some major potential here, thus shall I plug one of my favorite places to lurk.

ConceptArt.org forums

Sure, first glance might cause you collapse in a lethal loss of egoplasm, and these guys might seem way out of your league (I still suck), but dig around the forums, especially the sketchbooks, OpenCanvas WPE thread, and the Tutorials, tricks, and tips subforum, and the masterworks will soon be demystified. It might take a while, but if you're willing to practice everyday, you'll see some collossal improvement.

No crits from me, by the by. Most of it's been covered by Nev, and the rest is probably a stylistic thing which can't exactly be critiqued without being anal and arrogant-sounding. <p>

<div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: RedEye Dragon89&nbsp; Image at: 9/3/05 21:19

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:23 pm

Thanks for the link. The way I do most of my art study is by looking at pencil sketches (since that's my favorite medium), so the sketchbook section of the forum has been excellent. Thanks for giving me something interesting to check out. <p>-------------------------
"It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor." -- Sandman "The Kindly Ones" </p>

RedEye Dragon89

Unread postby RedEye Dragon89 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:17 pm

Note that almost all of the beginner sketchbooks will have the reply: "Draw from life." So, studying exclusively from pencil sketches wouldn't help as much as drawing from photos; you pick up the same mistakes of those you study from. Study from others' art only if they're clearly masters or if you wish to build upon your own foundations. I suggest moseying on over to the Photography References subforum; it's a goldmine full of all sorts of crap.

By the way...

Recommended Anatomy books just because I feel like typing some more:

Figure Drawing For All It's Worth by Andrew Loomis
http://www.saveloomis.com/ (Book is out of print; you can torrent it from here.)

Bridgeman's
Life Drawing and
Constructive Anatomy by George Bridgeman. You can probably pick these up at Barnes and Noble or something. I got mine for about eight bucks each.

Dynamic Figure Drawing by Burne Hogarth, illustrator of the old Tarzan comics. I haven't gotten this one, but I've read great recommendations for it. He's got this really exaggerated superhero style that's great for remembering stuff.
<p>

<div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: RedEye Dragon89&nbsp; Image at: 9/3/05 23:54

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:27 pm

I'm not submitting art there.

I'm looking at pencil sketches that manage to do the things I have trouble with. Then, I see how they do them. Drawing from life is all well and good (and it's something I often do, though it means it doesn't work for most of my RP characters since they don't have physical forms), but if I don't have an indication of how a particular technique is supposed to look, it's harder.

And I'm finding a lot of good pencil work there. Some of these people would make MC Escher proud. I know good art when I see it, even if I can't reproduce it yet. <p>-------------------------

Return to Fanart and Miscellaneous