PAX East

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Re: PAX East

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:06 am

:O

I will be arriving on Thursday afternoon, so hopefully I can pick my ticket up right away? Yay!
"That's not interactive, there's no back-and-forth with the other player and how much fun is it to watch someone incredibly good at moving their eyes? And then whichever Seeker gets lucky swoops in and grabs the Snitch and makes everyone else's work moot. It's like someone took a real game and grafted on this pointless extra position just so that you could be the Most Important Player without needing to really get involved or learn the rest of it. Who was the first Seeker, the King's idiot son who wanted to play Quidditch but couldn't understand the rules?" Actually, now that Harry thought about it, that seemed like a surprisingly good hypothesis. Put him on a broomstick and tell him to catch the shiny thing...

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:42 pm

I think we'll be getting there Thursday, as well. We're driving in (confirmed), so we should be able to bring some snacks 'n drinks 'n stuff.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:19 pm

Hey Dia! I sent a package to Brainwalker and um, it's kind of big, like guitar-sized, so I was wondering if he could have it sent to you guys since you're going by car?
"That's not interactive, there's no back-and-forth with the other player and how much fun is it to watch someone incredibly good at moving their eyes? And then whichever Seeker gets lucky swoops in and grabs the Snitch and makes everyone else's work moot. It's like someone took a real game and grafted on this pointless extra position just so that you could be the Most Important Player without needing to really get involved or learn the rest of it. Who was the first Seeker, the King's idiot son who wanted to play Quidditch but couldn't understand the rules?" Actually, now that Harry thought about it, that seemed like a surprisingly good hypothesis. Put him on a broomstick and tell him to catch the shiny thing...

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:19 pm

AN UPDATE! I called the hotel and we can actually ship it to them instead, so we'll be doing that. Much easier for everyone.

Speaking of updates, I have confirmed with the Doubletree that there will be shuttle service between the hotel and the convention center in the mornings and the evenings, but not between the airport and the hotel. Looks like cabs or public transit is the way to go there. I have, however, confirmed that I can leave my stuff at the hotel after checkout so I don't have to lug a suitcase around the convention center until I'm ready to leave.

So, now that this thing is less than a week away, maybe we should start exchanging contact information? And are we going to do any pre-planning? Like, are we going to get together Thursday before the con?
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:52 am

We can leave stuff after checkout? That is most sexcellent! Me gusta!

As for contact-information and get-togethers, I know that I will be out drinking with a friend of mine Thursday night. And I guess by out drinking, we're going eating and having a drink or something. I dunno. I'd love to have you guys join us, if you're cool with alcohol and stuff. I know some people aren't, but then there's no forced drinking and dsklhfdslfh I dunno.

Also, I'm getting a disposable phone as soon as I land, which hopefully has texting functions, so I'll jot down you guys' contact info and send you all texts as soon as I arrive. I also need to write down the name and address of our hotel so I can get there properly this time.

Last time I was confused. It was scary.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:20 am

1. That's a load off my mind, Brian. Now I know.

2. How much are disposable cells? ... and do they come with cameras?

3. Booze is always good. ... except when it's bad.

4. I land at 8:05 PM on Thursday. Guess I'll cab it to the hotel and ... yeah. Email me the room number so I can just come on up. Then, I dunno... go party somewhere? I'm up for anything.

5. My sister is paying for me to stay at a different hotel the night of the 13th, so once we're all done with festivities Sunday, I'll head over there myself (and fly out the next day). That one's just an FYI.

6. If you're wondering, got my badge, got my passport, getting walking around money tomorrow, will be packed tomorrow. I am set.

7. Holy crap this is actually happening yay. o_o

8. Oh, one last thing I'm grabbing tomorrow... Pokemon Black or White?

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:50 am

I'm getting Black myself, will be buying it when I've settled in on Thursday / Friday. I propose we trade starters. I am also bringing HeartGold and Platinum with me.

Can you trade from a GBA to a DS?

Thing is, I have both LeafGreen and Emerald, and if possible I'd like to trade from them to my DS games, but I have neither the GBA or the transfer cables or anything, and I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to trade them over.

If I can't, well that's life, but I'm such a damn completionist.

And apparently it works with Pal Park?

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:07 pm

I have Pokemon Black, for what it's worth (I rarely get online). Note, there are differences between the games other than the usual "different pokemons to catch". The 8th gym leader is different in each game, and there's a region specific to each game (Black City v. White Forest). Goes with the apparent Yin/Yang theme of the games. (Additionally "There are certain trainers you can battle in Black that you can't battle in White and vice versa [and] there are certain trainers that will have a different battle style depending on the version. For instance, Black players will encounter more trainers that fight in Rotation Battle mode while White players will find more trainers that fight in Triple Battle mode." If I had known this prior, I would have chosen White...I want moar triple battles! :gb: ) I'd be delighted to borrow one of your games to get the starters I couldn't get, but that would probably involve resetting your game a few times, unless you manage to play far enough in to unlock breeding.

Yes, you can trade from a GBA Pokemon game to a DS Pokemon game. Certain restrictions apply; notably, you need need a DS with a GBA port, and you also need to unlock the in-game location ("Pal Park") which lets you transfer Pokemon from other regions. ALSO, you can only send 6 pokemon from a GBA to a DS a day like this (I fear that restriction was lifted from B&W's Pal Park equivalent).

I've unlocked Pal Park in my SoulSilver, so I could transfer some of your pokemon to my game, then transfer it to your HeartGold/Platinum through wireless if you want.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:09 pm

So what's the final count? Is it just Brian, Charles, Christian, Mike and I?

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:14 pm

As far as I know.

Looks like it's a 17 minute walk between the DoubleTree and the Intercontinental. That's right on the edge of being a bit too much, but there's always cabs. Public transport mostly gets us halfway there, and still requires 5-7 minutes of walking. Which is preferable to 20.

I'll be getting into Boston around 2:30 if all goes well, but who knows how long it'll be before I actually get to the hotel after that.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:02 am

BrainWalker wrote:Looks like it's a 17 minute walk between the DoubleTree and the Intercontinental. That's right on the edge of being a bit too much, but there's always cabs. Public transport mostly gets us halfway there, and still requires 5-7 minutes of walking. Which is preferable to 20.

I'll be getting into Boston around 2:30 if all goes well, but who knows how long it'll be before I actually get to the hotel after that.
Does the Doubletree have shuttlebus service? It may get you closer to us. It's also notable that Mike will have a car, though I'm not sure how much he'll want to use it in Boston. (At least it's not Baltimore, amirite?)

Also, when you get into Boston, ask Information the best way to get to the hotel. Note, last year, it was as cheap/costly to get a taxi as to take the transit from the airport to our hotel (trains are expensive).

We'll be showing up sometime Thursday. It's a roughly 8 hour drive and we may need to finish up packing in the morning. I expect we'll be on the road by at least noon. Mike's the driver so he has a firmer idea on that.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:31 pm

Personally, and I know we've discussed this, I don't mind 17 minutes walks, but if we're catching shuttles or taxis or whatevs, I'm all for sharing the costs.

Also, I'mma post my phone number here as soon as I can, since I'm getting a disposable phone.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:06 pm

Aw man, guys! That thing, with the thing, and the thing? So totally the best.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:29 pm

The best part was being there! The worst part was leaving. :(

Mostly because I caught a bug on the last day and I'm still fighting it off.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:01 am

BrainWalker wrote:The best part was being there! The worst part was leaving. :(

Mostly because I caught a bug on the last day and I'm still fighting it off.

I mirror every single one of those sentiments.

Also, I'm now deeply tempted to organize some of my local friends to road trip to PAX Prime. >.>

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:17 am

Three words.

Awesome. Mindblowing. Jenga.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:34 pm

I will never look at Jenga the same way again.

Previous

Return to Discussion Forum